• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one Albergue that you would say not to miss

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can recommend two from my Christmas camino -

El Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan

Such a lovely experience. We were treated to clean clothes, a lovely dinner consisting of cream of pumpkin soup, a huge fresh green salad, and spectacular pasta carbonara. The music on his playlist was perfect, including Debby Reynolds singing "Good Morning!" from Singing in the Rain for breakfast. The place was squeaky clean and very convenient to stop on the way to O'Cebreiro.

Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo

This was a treat. The hospitalero rode his bike out along the Camino looking for exhausted peregrinos. He stopped us and told us if we stayed with him, the food would be good - and it was. Vegetarian and certainly hippy in the best possible sense. He played guitar and sang and we felt looked after and safe.

I may note that the experience you have with a certain albergue is very dependent on the hospitalero - in many albergues the hospitaleros serve in shifts, so you might have a totally different experience.

Anyway, I really liked Bercianos del Real Camino, they really had what I call 'camino spirit', with some singing in the afternoon, cold lemonade for the exhausted pilgrim, a lovely dinner created together by all the pilgrims sleeping there. After dinner we would all go out and watch the sunset together, accompanied by nice singing and some inspirational words. The man running the albergue is a priest, he is very nice. Great memories!

Also you might want to visit the Brazilian albergue in the lovely village Vega de Valcarce. They are very friendly and warmhearted too. A Brazilian lady runs the albergue, accompanied by a Dutch woman. They cook lovely dinners and have an absolutely wonderful breakfast. And: great beds/showers!

Thinking about it, there are so many more wonderful albergues with absolutely wonderful hospitaleros. You might want to consider:
- Pamplona, the private german albergue
- Burgos, the small albergue near a chapel
- Rabanal del Camino (British albergue, they drink tea in the afternoon :D)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
nilesite said:
I can recommend two from my Christmas camino -

El Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan

Such a lovely experience. We were treated to clean clothes, a lovely dinner consisting of cream of pumpkin soup, a huge fresh green salad, and spectacular pasta carbonara. The music on his playlist was perfect, including Debby Reynolds singing "Good Morning!" from Singing in the Rain for breakfast. The place was squeaky clean and very convenient to stop on the way to O'Cebreiro.

I hear the Buddhist brothers who operate that albergue are real characters, with wonderful senses of humor AND hospitality. I plan to stay at that albergue specifically because of all the delightful things I have heard. "Ride of the Valkyries" one morning, and "The WIlliam Tell Overture" another, apparently!

Greetings from Ireland !!

Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino : a true sanctuary and oasis of calm (great welcome,facilities and 3 minute walk to small cosy restaurants catering for Pilgrims)

La Faba for its special atmosphere and location.When full the facilities can be a bit stretched but every pilgrim is made to feel so welcome and appreciated.A perfect place to stop and rest before the onward climb to O'Cebreiro.

Private albergues in Fonfria (Albergue Areboleira) and Sarria (Albergue Internacional) are also well worth visiting.

If you make it to Muxia then you should stay in the Albergue Xunta (the very best municipal albergue that I stayed in).But be warned as I believe you will only be allowed stay if you have walked from Finisterre and have your credencial stamped.

Lastly can I also give a mention to the Albergue Seminario Menor La Asuncion in Santiago itself.Vast amount of toilet,shower facilities and after weeks of walking NO BUNK BEDS !!.All the beds are laid out in single file with each bed having its own bedside locker.Loads of space and great views down over Santiago.

lindalou said:
I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed.

In Roncesvalles Spain the first night on the trail you can experience a special pilgrim's blessing at the 11th century monastery; a memorable way to start your journey!

Attachments

• DSCF3518.jpg
    DSCF3518.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 8,152
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Of course, I am totally biased as I worked there as a hospitalera, but IMHO Granon is the best. No one is ever turned away and the doors are never locked. Like Bercianos, it embodies the spirit of the Camino. Tosantos is my second favourite.

There is a new small private albergue, just 3 kms before Portomarin, called Casa Banderas. It has the best shower on the Camino and you will be guaranteed a warm South African welcome there.

Jose Ramon's place in Lorca. He saw how exhausted / sun weary I was when I arrived and immediately picked up my pack for me, carried it up to the room and insisted I rest before taking care of the business of credential / payment. He did the laundry, ran the bar, prepared a delicous dinner for us. The next morning he was up early making delicous cafe con leche and toast. I had decided to have a rest day and hotel room in Estella that next evening and I tried to book a room online. The computer connection wasn't working and Jose tried calling the pension in Estella and couldn't get through. I left, not sure if there would be a room available when I arrived. When I got to Estella the pension was locked up, so I sat on a bench in the square outside. After about 1/2 an hour a woman came to me and asked if I had come from Lorca. She said that Jose had called to book a room for me. He kept trying even after I had left Lorca! I think all aspiring hospitaleros should study with Jose Ramon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Theatregal said:
Jose Ramon's place in Lorca.
I am so happy to see Jose Ramon added to this list. I've stayed with him twice and he is a fantastic host. His albergue is also super comfortable and clean, and he offers free internet to his guests.
Nancy

nreyn12 said:
Theatregal said:
I am so happy to see Jose Ramon added to this list. I've stayed with him twice and he is a fantastic host. His albergue is also super comfortable and clean, and he offers free internet to his guests.
Nancy
I have always stayed across the way but next time I will certainly give this albergue a try - it has also been recomended to me by Luis , one of the hospitaleros in Puenta la Reina.

Re: What Albergue you would say not to miss - Boente

For those who think that the albergue in Melide was not improved by the 2010 renovations, there is a new albergue in Boente right across from the church and next to the old albergue, that also is in bad need of renovation. Eat some pulpo in Melide, then continue on for another hour. I think you will like it - nice covered courtyard for laundry and sitting, a bar with an eager bartender, and decent food. The better food in town is at a new restaurant as you enter the village. It is operated by a very friendly and helpful couple.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Granon was my favourite last summer but not the ultra famous one...there was a new one that opened just up from "bar Teo".It has 12 spaces and the atmosphere was incredible.It is a donativo run by 2 guys who love the camino.
In reference to Melinde.....we arrived there on the day of thier festival...booked into the albergue(municple). The place was jammed to the rafters...we ate some pulpo..cos that is what the town is famous for. Went back to our beds...and both thought the same thing....this place is horrible...lets go!
Although very walked out we carried on through the woods until we got to what looked like a Malibu beach house...although not quite finished we got beds there and ate in the local bar owned by the same man.When i dig out my journal i will try to add the village name etc....there are 2 other albegues there...one full and municiple the other pvt and at the time bed bug infested.This albegue had possibley the best lounge area of anywhere we stayed

MichaelB10398 said:
Staying in Albergues may be divided into two kinds. The first has nothing to do with us individually; it is centered on how well equipped, comfortable, etc. the place is. The second, is more ephemeral; it is remembered for the feeling or spirit of the place. Attitude plays such an important role in ambiance and spirituality.

As an aside, as you go into each place you stay, try to cheerfully get to know your fellow pilgrims, serve them in little ways, be clean, be charitable, offer privacy when needed, and a shoulder to those in need. Although there is a broad range oAlbergueses along the Camino, each one can offer a pearl to be treasured for a lifetime. It is up to us to create the memory.

Brilliant. Thank you.
PS love your signature quote!
Gina

I liked the comment about the staying at albergues as a multi layered memory...reminds me of the Duth albergue.If memory serves it is in Villamajor.We arrived to find that cyclists were filling the place...lucky to get a couple of the last beds.Other walkers turned away...including my Canadian friends walking from Le Puy.A massive thunderstorm came over...wind , thunder claps lightning and lots of rain.I felt guilty about having a bed while others had to trudge on to Los Arcos.
The meal was punctuated by prayer breaks with a half hour meditation after coffee.Although not my fav place to stay it was memorable and as such i'm glad i stayed there.

So there you have it....some i would not have wanted to miss are by no means the best

€46,-
na2than said:
I liked the comment about the staying at albergues as a multi layered memory...reminds me of the Duth albergue.If memory serves it is in Villamajor.We arrived to find that cyclists were filling the place...lucky to get a couple of the last beds.Other walkers turned away...including my Canadian friends walking from Le Puy.A massive thunderstorm came over...wind , thunder claps lightning and lots of rain.I felt guilty about having a bed while others had to trudge on to Los Arcos.
The meal was punctuated by prayer breaks with a half hour meditation after coffee.Although not my fav place to stay it was memorable and as such i'm glad i stayed there.

For an Albergue that seems to put religion high on the priority list , they seem to charge too much and I felt controlled , almost cultish? Why have such a big dining room that can only be used at dining times?
Even Estella municipal allow pilgrims the use of their space during all opening hours - not for me again , I will trudge on to Los Arcos. :|

Hey Guys! have you seen that Ivar has an albergue rating system where one can also leave comments , this could grow into something really useful to us.

There's always more than one . . .
Virgen del Camino - perfect
Hospital de Orbigo San Miguel is lovely with wonderful staff
Bercianos Looked a dump but was one of the best, I'd go back tomorrow

Ron

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
RENSHAW said:
Hey Guys! have you seen that Ivar has an albergue rating system where one can also leave comments , this could grow into something really useful to us.

All these recommendations are tremendously helpful along with those I've gathered from personal friends who did the Camino last Fall. Would you be able to post a link to Ivar's albergue list/review?

RENSHAW said:
For an Albergue that seems to put religion high on the priority list , they seem to charge too much and I felt controlled , almost cultish? Why have such a big dining room that can only be used at dining times?
Even Estella municipal allow pilgrims the use of their space during all opening hours - not for me again , I will trudge on to Los Arcos. :|
We also weren't very keen on the evangelical Dutch albergue in Villamayor. Too earnest in their way of doing things. The last two times we have taken the lovely alternative (and original route over Luquin), by-passing Estella and Villamayor. Anne

Oasis Trails wasn't my favourite either. Experienced some shortmindedness there. Twenty people " allowed " that night for communal dinner, 21st had to go to the local bar.... :? Not at all like the warmth I experienced in Tosantos where also local people from the village were invited around the table.
People of Oasis were also very pushy in giving you a copy of one of the Evangelicals...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Since we are on the subject of this albergue in Vilamayor, although it's the opposite of the topic of albergues not to be missed, I would give this one a wide berth. I got there before my husband, who got lost in the woods ( long story) and even though Id rung him and he was on his way, the Dutch hospitalero refused to allow me to reserve a bed for him. I asked for a blanket, and you'd think it was the Crown Jewels , he inspected my bed first, to make sure I had a liner, and then reluctantly unlocked the cupboard to give me one.
We declined their communal meal, and had a great time in the local bar instead. Several people were unable to get a bed , when they filled up, and had to walk on to Los Arcos, in spite of the fact that there was a large meditation room which could have been used for pilgrims to sleep in.
There was a decidedly unchristian attitude here. :(

fortview said:
Since we are on the subject of this albergue in Vilamayor, although it's the opposite of the topic of albergues not to be missed, I would give this one a wide berth :(

Sometimes the problem may be the staff and not the place, volunteer staff change about each two weeks, I too have stayed there and mine was very positive experience, different staff different experience .

there was a large meditation room which could have been used for pilgrims to sleep in
That is probably a concept from a bygone era. There are health, fire and building codes that are being enforced. Blocking fire exits with sleeping bodies is a dangerous practice that fortunately is disappearing. It shows a lot of foresight on the part of Spain that they did not wait for a disaster to prod them to enforce safety measures. It is inconvenient for some pilgrims, but benefits everyone when viewed broadly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:
There are health, fire and building codes that are being enforced.

It would be nice if they were enforced! I stayed in a few hostels that obviously ignored the regulations, when trying to make an early start to the day I discovered that the exit doors were locked, and had to wait til the owner arrived to let us out:( to bad if there was a fire?

Ffp13 and falcon, I take both your points, thank you . I was glad to have the opportunity to get that experience off my chest though :) it's good to know that the albergue may not always have the same staff, as on two positive notes, it is possibly ( and I'm waiting for you to differ,falcon ! :wink: ) the albergue with the best view of the whole Frances , and the breakfast was excellent. Rye bread, and special to an Englishwoman - Earl Grey Tea !

Albergue O Abrigadoiro in San Xulián.

What a find, a really beautiful albergue run by one of the nicest and most interesting people I met on the Camino. Really great dinner and b/f and had a great night in the bar with people we had met along the way who also just happened to stop there. Five stars definately.

If I could remember the village or Albergue name I would post it here.

This is a small small gem, the village doesn't have many facilities and the hostel doesn't look much from the outside, it is run by a lovely Brazilian/ Italian couple, they prepare a group dinner which is delicious, and the small numbers make for a great evening. Although overlooked by many This Albergue is a must to pencil in your travel plans. If only I can remember its name and where it was.

If you recognise it from my pic please post the details

Thanks Margaret/Renshaw

ALBERGUE ACACIO Y ORIETTA in VILORIA DE RIOJA

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362661588.640215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362661588.640215.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6,136
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362661607.181159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362661607.181159.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6,145
ffp13,

This is the Refugio of Acacio and Orietta in Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. They have created a comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 comfy bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove and great showers that water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho.

I loved it also!

Margaret Meredith

ffp13 said:
If I could remember the village or Albergue name I would post it here.

ALBERGUE ACACIO Y ORIETTA in VILORIA DE RIOJA

The lovely couple met while walking the Camino a few years back.

There is only space for 10 pilgrims. €5 is charged and there is a donation asked for a great communal diner and breakfast. Great facilities and the hosts are unreal. Yes , this one of the best , though how they manage financially , I do not know??

They do accept bookings in advance,
Again , they are really great folks. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Margaret, and Renshaw, Thank you

I have stayed there twice and each time it was special, they are a great couple.

I believe the reason they don't have too many beds and only charge 5E is to keep under the threshold for tax and guest house regulations.

This hostel reminds me of what keeps me coming back to walk the Camino, it's not the scenery, grand churches, or history, it's the people:), there is the rest of the world for the other things:)

If you decide to stay there be generous with the donativo for dinner, 50E per night for the 10 beds (if fully occupied) wouldn't cover their overheads.

Frank

Stayed in Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos two nights ago and loved it! Cozy, comfy beds, large and clean showers, laundry for only fifty Euro Cents and breakfast. Family run. Our favorite on the Camino thus far.

Staying in Ventosa's San Saturnino tonight and it is wonderful! Lovely decor, large and beautiful patio with washing and drying area, beautiful rooms, and a light smell of incense wafting throughout. Also has a large, well-equipped kitchen. Two thumbs up!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Without a doubt, Granon.

A friend and I walked between Pamplona and Burgos in February 2010. We had walked nearly thirty miles starting at 7am, and the worst thing was that to get to this particular Albergue we had to follow a diversion that pushed us into an incredibly strong headwind that added over 5k to the day.

My friend and I often talk about the experience of being led up the winding staircase, told to take our boots off, and then offered a cold beer or wine, a hot shower and a homecooked dinner after our host had returned from church. It was quite possibly the best end to an extremely challenging day.

After a game of chess Patrick and I sat down to dinner with our host and a Spanish cyclist and enjoyed great food, and a kind of "United Nations" conversation between the four of us, with Patrick speaking in both Spanish and English, our host doing the same having studied in the US, myself only English and the cyclist only Spanish.

In the morning we were made breakfast and coffee, shown the belltower in gale force winds and wished well on our way. Quite simply, one of the the most humbling experiences of my life.

Some of these has been mentioned before but they are in my opinion worth mentioning again.

Hospital de Peregrinos San Juan Bautista in Grañón. Goes without saying, but this is a lovely alberge (donativo) in a church.

San Bol, a good days walk from Burgos. Wonderful albergue. I was the last to arrive there and was greeted with such a warm welcome and a lovely fire after walking almost the entire day in the rain. Wonderful food and a fantastic round table where where it's easy to talk with everyone that stays there for the night. They don't have any electricity but they do have hot water so you don't have to take a cold shower there.

En El Camino in Boadilla. I didn't stay there (sadly) only had breakfast, and the family that ran the place were so welcoming and warm.

Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Órbigo. A lovely place with sturdy beds and good cooking facilities.

Monte Irago in Foncebanón. Didn't stay there only stopped there for lunch. The food was amazing! They served their own eggs, honey from the mountains, yogurt made from goat milk from the goats in the village and so on. I think we payed 7 or 10€ for lunch and they just kept bringing us food and wine until we were stuffed. They also have a nice fireplace where you can get yourself warm if it's been a cold day. So even if you're not planing on staying there the night it's a perfect place for lunch just before reaching Cruz de Ferro.

And I have to recommend a Casa Rual as well. La Trucha del Arco Iris in Acebo . We were three people in our group and Jaime (I think that is how you spell his name) had a room with three separate beds for if i remember it correctly 45€ so 15€ per person and it was well worth it as it is a fantastic place and Jaime is an extremely friendly man. Well worth noting is that he speaks English and has walked the camino himself. You have to try his food, he cooks the most fantastic vegetarian food.
http://www.casaruralacebo.com/

These are the Albergues that was memorable for me and if/when i walk Camino Francés again i will surely stay at these places again.

I totally forgot about this one.
Albergue de Reliegos de las Matas in Reliegos. I never went in as it was closed when we passed it but from what I've heard it's supposed to be a nice place to stay.

Attachments

• albergue.jpg
    albergue.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5,104
I'd like to wholeheartedly thank Bernard and Fafa of the Gîte Ultreia in SJPP. They were warm, friendly, knowledgeable, and generous. The Gîte is simply and beautifully decorated; it's clean, comfortable, and easily found. The kitchen is large--one can actually put together a good meal the night before starting out. Can't think of better people to bid you Bon chemin et bon courage as you begin the journey.

It has been a couple of years since this topic started and is still going on, so I decided to make my contribution. Althought I was on CF (partly) four and (in completion) two years ago I'm hoping that good things didn't changed. A lot of albergues have been mentioned so I'll skip most commented:

1.) UTERGA (after Pamplona) – Camino del Perdon:, left on the main street, been there in 2009, private hostel, nice dormitory and rooms, family run, good food and attitude, forgot the price but not expensive.

2.) LORCA (before Estella) – La Bodega del Camino: left on the main street, oposite is another albergue, been there in 2009, network hostel, free internet, multiple nice rooms with bunkbeds, excelent food, not expensive.

3.) VILLAMAYOR DE MONJARDIN (before Los Arcos) – Santa Cruz: on the right entering the village, parish hostel, been there in 2009, veryveryvery basic, but somehow special :D, have to try it again someday, mostly mattresses, cheap.

4.) LOGRONO – especially during weekends (and if you're late as I was) it could happen that both albergues and pensiones are full. I found donativo dormitory (mattresses only) by the Iglesia Santiago, right on Camino (just after crossing c/Sagasta). Excelent toilets and showers, kitchen, community meal, but with a lot of party noise all night from the street below. You might also try not so expensive Pension Sebastian on c/San Adrian (20€ for single in two bed room).

5.) VILORIA DE LA RIOJA (before Belorado) – Acacio y Orietta: Brasilian/Italian connection (even Paulo Coelho is the godfather of this private albergue), left from the main street before the church, unique experience, been there 26.05.2011 and Acacio allowed only two of us (Austrian elderly lady and myself) to stay overnight, free internet, communal dinner – excelent, very quiet atmosphere with subtle music, but talkative hospitaleros on the other hand, also possible to buy 0,3l beer cans for 1€ :lol: , 5€/night. Reservations in high season and recomended otherwise because they're both caminoists also during wintertime. It's A MUST!

6.) AGES (after San Juan de Ortega) – Casa Caracol: left on the entrance on kind of village square, ask to sleep in the attic (mattresses) of Casa Roja (Red House), kitchen, rustic style, sooo charming, toilets and showers superb, 5€/night, been there 28.05.2011 and whole village together with pilgrims were in one of the bars watching UEFA Cahmpions League final, unforgetable :D .

7.) BURGOSPension Acacia: was there 30.05.2011, near Plaza St.Lesmes before entering the old city, if all albergues and hostels are occupied or if you want to stay another day, this is fairly good option, 20€/night single in two bed room with en-suite shower ( but shared WC, hahaha).

8.) SAN ANTON (before Castrojeriz) – Albergue private but donativo, shared dinner, very nice with basic facilities (only cold water), been there 01.06.2011, but was just resting and talking with hospitalera, quiet and meditative. Worth trying even if you buy food and drinks in Castrojeriz and return 4,7km back or ask locals for drive.

9.) LEDIGOS (before Terradillos de los Templarios) – El Palomar: private hostel, in-house shop, restaurant and bar, been there 04.06.2011 and tried attic – very nice, large courtyard with pool (only dead mouse swimming in it at that time, no wonder why), all facilities incl.kitchen, 7€/night.

10.) LEONPension San Martin (ask for address in Information oposite the Cathedral) could be quite good option if everything else is packed or if you want to stay another night in this lively city, 22€/person (two altogether) in three bed room, city center, they wash your clothes for free and you can use their fridge, been there 08.06.2011.

11.) SAN MARTIN DEL CAMINO (before Hospital de Orbigo) – Albergue Santa Ana: the second one on the left as you enter the village, private hostel, but only 4€/night, all facilities, very quiet althought on the main road, large courtyard, restaurant, bunkbeds in dormitory, private rooms also, been there 09.06.2011.

12.) ASTORGAAlbergue San Javier: past the Cathedral left on the Camino, network hostel, been there 10.06.2011, very cozy, offering massage, all facilities, social gathering in the evening with music and singing, shady patio, bunkbeds, 8€/night, close to everything.

13.) RABANAL DEL CAMINOMunicipal Albergue: from the Camino left down through the village to the main road, it's clearly visible, been there 11.06.2011, bunkbeds in dormitory, all facilities, just get in there and wait for the kindest hospitalera (similar to Acacio and Orietta) I met ever!!!, 4€/night, big picnic area, so good energy there in my opinion that I just wanted to stay another day enjoying the sun :D .

14.) FONFRIA (after O'Cebreiro) – Albergue A Reboleira: here I'm a bit confused, because in 6th edition of J.Brierley's guide there's a photo of this albergue which I simply don't remember. The albergue I'm mentioning is on the entering the village on the left and is no way a modern building as stated in guidebook. But for 8€/night in bunkbed dormitory you get guite a lot of comfort, shared dinner, large and cozy living room, bar with salsa dancing lessons from the cuban crew in the evening. I was there on 16.06.2011, very satisfied.

15.) MORGADE (halfway between Sarria and Portomarin) – Casa Morgade: been there 18.06.2011, again very pleasant experience, 14€/person in two bed room (shared bath and toilet), excellent dinner, beautiful scenery, sooo friendly crew, no credit cards accepted, beautiful memory!!!

16.) PONTE CAMPANA MATO (after Palas de Rei) – Albergue Casa Domingo: been there on 20.06.2011, but just stopped for a cold beer and a little shade, I was astonished again with recovering possibly a ruin into such a nice place to stay, as I saw they're offering shared meal, not expensive, very quiet, a lot of greenery around, by the river, next time I'll try this one for sure!

Wow, 16 of them, I'm surprised. And also have to admit that my Camino'11 was apparently really very satisfying :) . For 14 of the above albergues I have photos and if someone is interested to see them (they're not posted anywhere) could mail me: bostjan.masera@gmail.com or through PM and I'll »pass the joint« :wink:

Ultreia!

@slarti:

I was in Reliegos in 2011, but stayed in another albergue. I didn't even know, that this Bar is also an albergue. Nevertheless I went in for some cigarettes and stayed there for several hours. Rock music, beer, homemade spirits, talkative owner, really something quite opposite of the meditativness of everyday Camino life :twisted:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Albergue Parroquial de Santiago in Logrono is one that no to be missed.

It is donative and they provide dinner and breakfast.

The dinner they served us was salad and Patatas a la Riojana, plus wine, and it was absolutely the best dinner I had since the beginning of our journey.

I strongly recommend people to go and find it out. And, please donate to them so that they can continue provide their excellent hospitality to the fellow peregrinos.

I am in Logroño now in an hotel near thr bridge as I needed a good long bath! However, am sorry to have missed the albergue down the road where all the people I have met will be staying!

Karin

@Larazet (Karin)

I think you're referring to Municipal hostel which is closer to the bridge (I'm just assuming that's the bride you came over from Viana?) than Albergue Parroquial, which is further on the Camino and over the calle Sagasta.

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
KinkyOne said:
I think you're referring to Municipal hostel which is closer to the bridge

Haha , If it is the Municipal , your aint missing nothing Lara. :mrgreen:

On my recent Camino, I stayed at some great places and some not so great. But the best for me was:

1. Roncesvalles. Amazing atmosphere of expectation, comfortable albergue and a fantastic spiritual village. My favourite of all the Camino.
2. Belorado - Cuatro Cantones. This was my favourite town across the Camino. It is the most amazing place I think I have stayed at because of its timeless setting, relaxed very pilgrim friendly townsfolk, and superb cafe bars. The albergue was fabulous too.
3. Reliegos - The stage was cold and long and this albergue was just perfect respite. Amazing hospitaleros, clean, friendly and a very interesting village too.
4. O' Çebreiro - What a place for ending a stage! Great atmosphere, views, vibe and albergue. The heartiest meal I had was here too.
5. Hontanas - This was a long, but easy stage and the village is picture perfect. The albergue was so comfortable with very good food and portions in the most perfect setting.

And my least favourites:-

1. Larrasoana. This was such a contrast to the previous night's stay and showed me what reality could be. Fortunately, there was nothing worse along the Camino. The people in the village are very unfriendly and the albergue is awful.
2. Melide. This town was big, but characterless and the albergue was a noisy macro place.
3. Fromista. After a very long walk from Hontanas, the albergue I arrived in was unfriendly and unclean. It was a private albergue near the smaller church, not the municipal, but I have forgotten its name and don't have my book with me.
4.El Acebo. I got sick here with food poisoning and spent the night running to the loo and back. Not much in the village and also some people said they found bedbugs.

Hi Churro
I see there are 5 albergues in Hontanas. Which one are you referring to? Will be there tomorrow. Txs

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
5? I was there a few days ago and saw 2 private and 1 municipal. I loved the municipal but El Puntido is the most popular I guess.

I am still on my camino but the one I think you should not miss is the parochial Albergue in Bercanios de real camino. I just loved it and the hospitaleros really know how to spoil the pilgrim.
I liked cuatro Cantones and the municipal in Hontanas also.
I would avoid the food in En el camino in Boadilla however, I picked up some kind of a bug after eating there.

almost all of the albergues mentioned on the other posts but for me the most welcoming and happy atmosphere was in the Albergue d'lorca. as you come in to lorca, it is the one one the right hand side, not the left. many people think they belong to the same people but they have different owners. the owner/hospitalier is Jose Ramone and he is a great guy with a real gentle and helpful way about him. when you arrive, he offers you the chance to rest and to sort out the paper work and money later. they have started doing food this year also, so, even better.
Cheers, Jose

phil austin, Edinburgh. 8)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I know it is tempting to resolve cognitive dissonance by identifying the source of any sickness. It can come from bacteria, viruses, or just dehydration. Assigning it to En el Camino may be unfair to one of the most professionally run albergues and kitchens on the Camino. Unless your entire table got sick, since you ate the same food, I don't think you can accurately blame them. Post hoc ergo sum hoc is bad science!

Well I am not in the Municipal one or in Puntido - In Santa Brigida and so far I love it - wide sturdy matresses, superb showers ( big shower head). Little shop, restaurant, courtyard. Will let you know how the paella for supper was!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also I'm not taking away from the professionalism of En el camino. I loved it there, an absolute gem. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Just letting you know of that setback. I felt fine in every other Albergue.

I was walking in April and it was raining cats and dogs in the Pyrenees. So walking from Roncesvalles I found a lovely little pensión called Pensión Corazón Puro in Bizkarreta. Bed+dinner with 3 courses+breakfast for 18 euros. Very nice people with warm heart. That was what I needed in that terrible weather. :D Thanks to them to make my first days happy in Spain :)

For me it has to be En el Camino (Maison de Campagne) in Boadilla del Camino. Not only is the Albergue fabulous but the service was fantastic.

€46,-
On my last Camino a couple of years ago, my favourite was the frightfully splendid San Anton. Incredibly peaceful in the evening and the setting is sublime. One can almost cut the atmosphere of all those echoes from the past.

Hi from Melide, I have a few new additions to my Favorite Albergue List:

Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo: Best vegetarian meal yet, with comfortable dorm room, large backyard with hammocks and lounge chairs, yoga by donation.

Albergue Ecologico El Beso, in A Balsa, 1.5 km after Triacastela: fantastic location in a small valley, super quiet with former-pilgrim hosts from Italy & Holland. So peaceful, with donativo dinner and comfortable 10-bed dorm.

Albergue Casa Domingo in Ponte Campana: the dorm rooms looked fine, but the jewel is the upgrade to the private room for 25 euros (single). Very comfortable room overlooking a babbling creek - a much better soundtrack than the snoring one! Perfectly located 4.5 kms after Palas de Rei.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Guemes - just before Santander on the Northern route. Father Ernesto Bustio Crespo runs an outstanding albergue.
It was up a long hill on a difficult day, but we were given space to put our bikes indoors, comfy bunks in 6 bedded rooms, great facilities and a wonderful meal, served to us by Father Ernesto's Christian helpers, with wine! The place was so interesting being almost a museum, chock-full of momentoes of Father Ernestoes travels around the world. Before dinner we were given a talk in the beautiful library about his life, pilgrimage and the natural beauty of the area. It was amazing.
After being served breakfast and making our donativos, we set off with a blessing from Father and freewheeled down the hills thru wonderful countryside. It could not of been better! (especially as he was the spitting image of Father Christmas...)

nreyn12 said:
Theatregal said:
Nancy

Hi Nancy,
do you have more details on how to book this place,
thank you.

Re: Re: What is the one Albergue that you would say not to miss

clearskies said:
@falcon
4 pilgrims fell ill that night
Some gastrointestinal conditions might exhibit symptoms this quickly, but there are many that don't. You might need to look back three or four days to find the culprit, not just where one had eaten the previous day.

In any case, blaming a particular establishment without the benefit of proper investigation doesn't seem reasonable or fair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
bareszko said:
I was walking in April and it was raining cats and dogs in the Pyrenees. So walking from Roncesvalles I found a lovely little pensión called Pensión Corazón Puro in Bizkarreta. Bed+dinner with 3 courses+breakfast for 18 euros. Very nice people with warm heart. That was what I needed in that terrible weather. :D Thanks to them to make my first days happy in Spain :)

Ditto

Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan...most amazing dinner. Pumpkin soup, salad, incredible bread, and pasta carbanara. Two brothers run it..one is the chef and the other kinda grouchy one is the finance guy. Very clean and you wake up to beautiful music; Ave Maria and Placido Domingo for my stay. I was there 5/24/2013 and though I felt like I was going to freeze to death staying in the top floor the food was the best on the camino. Next stop was O'Cebreiro which had amazing views but way too commercial.

duffs said:
nreyn12 said:
Theatregal said:
Nancy

Hi Nancy,
do you have more details on how to book this place,
thank you.

Here is the information for booking: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-lorca Looks like you can call or send an email. Enjoy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Great question Lindalou and perhaps even better responses. If time and circumstances permit, why not try to stay at albergues that were more clean and hospitable? Providing tasty meals just makes it even sweeter.
Thanks to all for compiling and sharing their albergue scorecards,
Michael

I'm going to mention my top 3:
An easy choice for my best albergue and doesn't seem to have gotten much mention to date:
Albergue Villares in Villares de Orbigo run by my guardian angels of the camino Pablo y Belen. After a late start from Leon and spending time helping a Slovakian suffering badly with her feet reach a new albergue in Villavante, I suffered badly during a very hot afternoon and expecting the majority would stay in Hospital de Orbigo 3 kms earlier, I pushed on to Villares de Orbigo only to see the dreaded 'completo' notice going up as I arrived. Belen saw the state I was in and invited me to sit down inside while she got me some iced water and rested for a few minutes before pushing on to Santibanez but when she found I'd started from Leon 39+ kms earlier, she and Pablo most kindly set about putting a spare mattress etc. in their own office for me. A very substantial dinner was provided for all at the ridiculous price of €6 and to round off a what turned out to be a great end to a day which had looked like turning into a nightmare, there was that perfect mix of nationalities and personalties which made for a great couple of hours relaxed and entertaining talk after dinner. Did I mention that my hosts would not take money from me for what was effectively a private room? Of course something was left under the pillow by me when I departed.

Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan. A lovely spot on the climb towards O'Cebreiro. A huge feast of very tasty food for dinner and the 6 am soundtrack next morning started with: Ave Maria, Mr Sandman and Nessum Dorma. Altogether a stay to treasure long in the memory.

And to round out my top 3: Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui, a lovely location, a very enjoyable and substantial dinner, a lovely balcony to sit out on, good drying space for laundry and active engagement by the owners in helping a social evening develop. I saw later that the owners have this albergue up for sale so try to catch it before it changes hands and perhaps loses a little of what made it special for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've walked the Camino Frances in stages over a number of years and there are a few albergues where their hospital adios went out of their way for us. Not a great fan of recommending albergues as one 'bad' albergue might be a good one for another person.

1) Bercianos de Real Camino. It is a parochial Albergue and run by the kindest folks. I was told that it fills up very quickly but they always lay out mats for pilgrims. Food is great and the sing song made for a great atmosphere
2) Santa Maria in Molinaseca. Another one where the owners went out of their way for its pilgrims. I had real fun here after a tortuous day walking down from Foncebadon.
3) The Cofrodia Casa Santo in Santo Domingo. An ultra modern Albergue but for me a special one. I met so many new friends and one volunteer even spoke some Irish and we had a conversation. She even knew where I lived even though she lived in France. Small world.

This list was useful and I made some notes before we left.

One albergue that we stayed at, in Ventosa I believe, was San Saturnino. While this place was nice the one thing I didn't like was how they woke you in the morning. Their signs say they wake you with music but in fact they wake you by turning the lights on at 6am. My daughter and I were sleeping on the top bunks with the lights just above us and this was the rudest awakening we experienced. We are not the early rising type and definitely don't need 2 hours to get ready before we leave in the morning. You could barely hear the music in the hallway from all the rustling of the pilgrims getting up.

Terrri said:
This list was useful and I made some notes before we left.

One albergue that we stayed at, in Ventosa I believe, was San Saturnino. While this place was nice the one thing I didn't like was how they woke you in the morning. Their signs say they wake you with music but in fact they wake you by turning the lights on at 6am. My daughter and I were sleeping on the top bunks with the lights just above us and this was the rudest awakening we experienced. We are not the early rising type and definitely don't need 2 hours to get ready before we leave in the morning. You could barely hear the music in the hallway from all the rustling of the pilgrims getting up.

Sorry you had this experience. The two times I was there we could here the music and it def. was not too quiet or too loud. No lights either. Just some pilgrims who politely asked if no one minded if they put light on around 7 am.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It wasn't the pilgrims who put the lights on but the hospitalero who also called out "Buenos dias". The music was totally in the background of all the movement of the peregrinos after this. In fact the night before a pilgrim was going to set his alarm but another pilgrim talked him out of it saying we will be awakened by music at 6am.

I am not the type to use an alarm to wake up as I have an excellent internal alarm that I have used for years and I am not even 50 yet. Music always just becomes part of my dream and I was so looking forward to that.

Glad you had a better experience.

I have stayed in Ventosa three times. It is among the handful of places I will return to. The hospitalera has never ventured upstairs for the lights, and the hospitalero stays in the background while his wife runs the show. They do get volunteers when they can. The hospitalera informs pilgrims of the wake up routine, and asks that no one get up before six. It is a compromise policy to keep the 5 a.m. Bag rattlers from disturbing other pilgrims.

Unless there was a volunteer who hit the lights, I would guess that it was a pilgrim, though you were there and I wasn't!

Ventosa is over a week into the pilgrimage. Had your fellow pilgrims courteously and quietly packed and left in the dark up to this point so that you could sleep in? If so, you were fortunate. It has been my experience that many pilgrims hit the trail at sunrise to beat the heat, delaying breakfast until they have a couple of hours of walking behind them. I am not sure it is realistic to expect them to meet your sleep schedule, but you have my best wishes that you will be fortunate!

I will be in Ventosa tomorrow, and will describe your experience over a glass of their home made hierbas.

Our room that night only had three females in it and we were all on top beds but it was a female voice that said "buenas dias" when the lights were turned on. There were quiet a few female "workers" there that day. It possibly also could have been a pilgrim from another room but I never experienced pilgrims venturing into others rooms.

We actually discovered early on that we could save ourselves from walking in the early morning rain by leaving later. The earliest I was awakened by pilgrims leaving was 4:30 am in Roncessvales. In Santo Domingo I couldn't believe that everyone in my room was gone by 6:30 am leaving the lights on; mind you it was all Spanish pilgrims in my room that night and I believe they were on a short time frame and wanted to cover as much ground in their short pilgrimage.

I am glad to know that my experience isn't the usual experience because it was a nice albergue to spend a night.

There is a tall male volunteer. He puts on the music in the morning. On the top floor it is hard to hear until the door opens.

The light switches are mostly in the hallway. Their activation is pretty anonymous. The owner says that no one goes up until the 8 am departure time is approached.

Two pilgrims in my room were up at 4:30 am, out by 5 am. They were the first to arrive for the 1300 albergue opening, but we're not content to stay until the posted 6 am opening.

Everyone in my room who rose at 6 am packed in the dark in deference to those still in bed. No light was on yet when I left at 0645.

I think that the problem was confined to the specific point in time. Since the incident immediately preceded a premature end to a pilgrimage, it may have taken on more significance than would have been normal -- more sleep, no plantar fasciitis?

There are many great hostels along the Camino, but one not to miss is the Ermita de St Nicolas just before the town of Itero de la Vega. While comfortable and wildly hospitable, this is the real Camino experience. This 13th century building was restored by an Italian Camino Association, and offers a wonderful candlelight dinner, foot washing, and fellowship. Don't miss this opportunity. It only sleeps 12, and is first come first serve. So, you'll need to plan a head to get there early. Without a doubt it was the best experience we had on the Camino. For other great hostel recommendations see: http://www.caminocommunityguide.com Photo of the St Nicolas hostel.

Attachments

• IMG_1712.png
    IMG_1712.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 1,668
Albergue de la Piedra in Villafranca del Bierzo is built right out of the rock (hence the name), has nice common areas, very cheap, nice triple rooms and is right near the end of the town (meaning right at the start of the trail out of town in the morning).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Casa Magica in Villatuerta...a Haven run by the wonderful Miguel and Simone....I wanted to stay and be minded by them...wonderful food, tranquillity.

Azofra, for the care to detail, the cleanliness and the wonderful hospitalero.
Ruitelan, for a vegetarian meal and the dedication of its two hospitaleros.
Mariabella's refugio in Cizur Menor. Relax in her garden. Say hullo to the tortoise.
Cacabelos, for the luxury of a room with only two beds (and they are not bunk beds either). The same goes for the municipal alburque in Azofra.
Granon - where else could you do your washing in a bell tower?

On the Camino Portuguese, Lugar do Corgo
Casa Fernanda!
After 4 complete Camino France's and 1 Camino Portuguese, this has been the BEST albergue that I have ever stayed in, Fernanda's passion for caring and assisting pilgrims is amazing as is her and her husbands cooking using mostly home grown produce, the dorm is very comfortable with no double bunks clean top and bottom sheets changed daily, pilgrims are even provided with bath towels, the outside garden area is great for unwinding and chilling out, even ice cold beer fruit and nibbles are made available, this place is one of the Camino Gems, and all for donativo!
If staying with Fernanda, please donate what you can, but she will never ask you for one cent!
Whilst I was there 5 Germans dropped in to rest in the garden, they said that they would continue after a short rest, they given cold beers, when the asked to pay the bill they were told there is no bill, to their credit they left money under one of the empty bottles when they left.

What is provided here is from the heart, and it is a feeling that you can sense whilst you are a guest there!

~Albuergue Camino del Perdon in Uterga.
~Albuergue Via Trajana in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, on the roman road option after Sahagun
~Albuergue la Escuela in Laguna de la Castilla (this was our favorite albuergue experience of the whole trip. And you are just short of O'Cereibro, meaning you'll catch it early in the morning sans tourists instead of spending the night in Galician Disney).

ALBERGUE VERDE in Hospital de Órbigo. -

the most peaceful, homely and wonderful place I stayed. The people who work there are so open hearted and kind. It costs nine Euros but for that you get a free two hour yoga session, a vegetarian dinner feast (best food I had on the camino) and a vegetarian breakfast feast, both by donation. The beds are deliciously comfortable and wide, there is a hydrotherapy shower and a wonderful garden with hammocks. It's also very clean and has a guitar.

Also, free tea of many many varieties. :)

Jennybelle said:
ALBERGUE VERDE in Hospital de Órbigo. -

the most peaceful, homely and wonderful place I stayed. The people who work there are so open hearted and kind. It costs nine Euros but for that you get a free two hour yoga session, a vegetarian dinner feast (best food I had on the camino) and a vegetarian breakfast feast, both by donation. The beds are deliciously comfortable and wide, there is a hydrotherapy shower and a wonderful garden with hammocks. It's also very clean and has a guitar.

Also, free tea of many many varieties. :)
While we didn't have the same reaction to casa verde in terms of staying, I would like to second that 1) they were incredibly nice & 2) it is one of the most unique/memorable bars along The Way. It reminded me of (though I preferred the others) the Cowboy Bar near the border with Galicia and Bar Elvis in Reliegio. All three worthy of a stop for a drink or two along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Orisson - Auberge d'Orisson. The view, comradery, dinner, and location put a fitting touch on the start of this great trek.

Atapuerca - Albergue El Peregrino. Great rendezvous of friends here, with a nice lawn and outdoor area to relax and eat in the sun.

Burgos - Centro Albergue La Casa del Cubo. In the middle of the old town, just a block away from the Cathedral. Great amenities. Clean beds, showers, and security.

Leon - Benedictine Convent, Santa Maria de Carbajal. Right in the middle of old Leon, down the street from the Cathedral. Ran like a battleship. Clean and orderly.

Villar de Mazarife - San Antonio de Padua Albergue. An oasis in the middle of nowhere as you make your way passed Leon and beyond. A great refuge with the nicest outdoor sitting area, yard, and onsite eats of the entire journey.

Hi guys, I'm arriving in Leon 15.8. at 19.00. Want to book a nice room for the first night before the walk tommorow morning. Have someone a nice place to stay over night but not to expencive? Some tips?
Thanks for every advice :)
SF

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
slarti said:
Some of these has been mentioned before but they are in my opinion worth mentioning again.

Hospital de Peregrinos San Juan Bautista in Grañón. Goes without saying, but this is a lovely alberge (donativo) in a church.

San Bol, a good days walk from Burgos. Wonderful albergue. I was the last to arrive there and was greeted with such a warm welcome and a lovely fire after walking almost the entire day in the rain. Wonderful food and a fantastic round table where where it's easy to talk with everyone that stays there for the night. They don't have any electricity but they do have hot water so you don't have to take a cold shower there.

En El Camino in Boadilla. I didn't stay there (sadly) only had breakfast, and the family that ran the place were so welcoming and warm.

Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Órbigo. A lovely place with sturdy beds and good cooking facilities.

Monte Irago in Foncebanón. Didn't stay there only stopped there for lunch. The food was amazing! They served their own eggs, honey from the mountains, yogurt made from goat milk from the goats in the village and so on. I think we payed 7 or 10€ for lunch and they just kept bringing us food and wine until we were stuffed. They also have a nice fireplace where you can get yourself warm if it's been a cold day. So even if you're not planing on staying there the night it's a perfect place for lunch just before reaching Cruz de Ferro.

And I have to recommend a Casa Rual as well. La Trucha del Arco Iris in Acebo . We were three people in our group and Jaime (I think that is how you spell his name) had a room with three separate beds for if i remember it correctly 45€ so 15€ per person and it was well worth it as it is a fantastic place and Jaime is an extremely friendly man. Well worth noting is that he speaks English and has walked the camino himself. You have to try his food, he cooks the most fantastic vegetarian food.
http://www.casaruralacebo.com/

These are the Albergues that was memorable for me and if/when i walk Camino Francés again i will surely stay at these places again.

ALL OF THE ABOVE. WHAT WONDERFUL MEMORIES. WHAT A MIRACULOUS PILGRIMAGE. *SIGH*

San Mamed del Camino - Paloma y Lena
Lovely relaxing, clean and well appointed albergue with sun loungers, chairs, tables and a garden seat swing. Excellent (vegetarian only) community meal. Good English spoken by a very pleasant family.
OK I know it sounds like an advert and yes I am prejudiced as it was there I met the woman who has become the lady in my life. :oops: But we both agree that it was a very relaxing place. Just to put things in perspective we did not actually start talking until we were leaving the next morning so our experience of the place was not a shared one.

The Alberque in Granon. Do not be concerned about walking here for fear of not getting a bed. This alberque is run by angels. There is always room for one more and the communal meal is unforgettable. I stayed there last night and know that I will cherish the experience for the rest of my life

The Alberque in Granon.
The paradox is that this albergue has all the features that pilgrims find objectionable:

no kitchen for pilgrim use
dust
decent showers
adequate washing and drying area
comfortable beds
smaller rooms
storage space
sufficient toilets
privacy

yet it remains extremely popular! It proves the point that the physical facilities may not be central to the Camino experience. Many opinions about albergues are heavily biased by the way pilgrims are treated, one's traveling companions, weather, and some temporary conditions.

The resulting conclusion is that opinions stated in this thread should be evaluated for the actual factors that support that opinion, and the attitude of the Forum member when s/he showed up in heavy rain or with blisters. If you want separate male/female facilities, it does not matter much if someone liked the food, for example.

Private albergue I can book near Roncesvalles?

Hi
Just wondering if anyone can recommend an albergue near Roncesvalles. I am starting the Camino in St Jean Pied de Port but I want to cycle there from Pamplona but as I don't think I'll be able to leave till after lunch I want to stay somewhere between Pamplona and St Jean PP. As I'll have my bike and it will be the first day out for me I'd like to be able to book a room and know you can't do this in the public albergues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
There are no non-public albergues, but in the hotel category, about 3 km from Roncesvalles:

Hotel Restaurante Loizu
Calle de San Nicolás, 13, 31640 Burguete, Spain
+34 948 76 00 08 ‎ · loizu.com

Burguete
Calle de San Nicolás, 71, 31640 Burguete, Spain
+34 948 76 00 05 ‎ · burguete.es

Juandeaburre
Calle de San Nicolás, 28, 31640 Burguete, Spain
+34 948 76 00 78 ‎

Has anyone stayed at Juandeaburre recently? I think I might do the extra 2.5k from roncesvalles.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?
Linda and Emily
Actually, I have two to recommend. The first is the Hospital Peregrinos de San Anton, a very small albergue set in the ruins of the ancient convent of San Anton. It's the one on the Camino Frances where you walk beneath the arches of the entrance to the original structure and where the niches in the wall are where they used to leave bread for passing pilgrims. You might look at the guidebooks and see that it has no electricity and no hot water, and wonder why you should stay there. All I can say is do it; it was probably the most magical night of our Camino.

The second is Casa Banderas in Vilacha. I say this not because it's a small, very clean, and well-managed facility with excellent home-cooked meals that are a departure from the typical pilgrims' meals along the way, although it is all of these things. I say it because the hospilatero, Gordon, is a very kind, caring, friendly, and helpful person. I only spent one night at Gordon's albergue, but I will always consider him to be a friend.

Jim

Actually, I have two to recommend. The first is the Hospital Peregrinos de San Anton, a very small albergue set in the ruins of the ancient convent of San Anton. It's the one on the Camino Frances where you walk beneath the arches of the entrance to the original structure and where the niches in the wall are where they used to leave bread for passing pilgrims. You might look at the guidebooks and see that it has no electricity and no hot water, and wonder why you should stay there. All I can say is do it; it was probably the most magical night of our Camino.
Hello Jim and all pilgrims to be: This romantic albergue is shut down! The person who run it has opened a new place in Castrojeriz.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Casa Barbadelo about 5 or 6km past Sarria is a little gem. If you're not into staying in Sarria, or if you just want to spoil yourself with a private room (we paid €33 for a triple and it was pure luxury!), this is the place for you. Note: nothing to see or do in Barbadelo to see, but this albergue was one of my fav's of the whole trip.

To add to the many:
On the Francés: Granon; Morgade
On the V dlP: Guillena (Luz del Camino); Fuenterroble (Padre Blas)
There's also one on the Primitivo before La Espina, whose name I can't remember (am on the VdlP at the moment).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Jim and all pilgrims to be: This romantic albergue is shut down! The person who run it has opened a new place in Castrojeriz.
Buen Camino
Jochen
Gosh, that's too bad. We were just there on 3 September.
Jim

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back