• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is your favourite? Suggest a route - coastal or coastal mixed with central. 7 days in April/may

EdinburghMae

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024 (planned)
October 2023
Hello!

My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to take.

We are from the coast in Scotland, so I love the idea of walking along the Atlantic coast, so we are quite set on taking the litoral route from Porto.

As we unfortunately cannot get enough time off work to do the whole walk to Santiago, I'm looking for an itinerary which will offer a nice mix between coastal and historical/village. I've read some posts from pilgrims who've swapped between routes, so wondering if that's what to do..

So please, I'd be very grateful to hear suggestions of what your favourite way to do the first week of the Camino from Porto would be. We're both good walkers/hikers, so happy with 25-30km days if needed.

Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmm, if I had seven days I’d probably just spend them in Porto. No fuss getting back to the airport. However you could walk to Tui on the Central in that timescale https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues and still get back to Porto on the bus. Barcelos is probably worth a spare day. There is plenty of accommodation available that isn’t exclusive to pilgrims so you should have a pleasant trip. If you’re carrying credential and planning to make it to Santiago one day then there are even more opportunities.
Happy planning

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm, if I had seven days I’d probably just spend them in Porto. No fuss getting back to the airport. However you could walk to Tui on the Central in that timescale https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues and still get back to Porto on the bus. Barcelos is probably worth a spare day. There is plenty of accommodation available that isn’t exclusive to pilgrims so you should have a pleasant trip. If you’re carrying credential and planning to make it to Santiago one day then there are even more opportunities.
Happy planning
Thanks tincatinker. I know it's not ideal, hopefully one day we'll get long enough time. Until now happy with short adventures 🤗

I've read some posts from pilgrims who've swapped between routes, so wondering if that's what to do..
The usual way for those who swap routes is to start coastal/SL, as it’s a nicer exit from Porto, and then either switch back on the second day from Vila do Conde, joining the central around Rates (more common), or else stay on the coastal/SL a few more days until Caminha and then walk parallel with the Minho river (the POR/ESP border) to join the central at Valença/Tui. If you want more of the coast then maybe this second option is for you, although by taking this option you’ll miss everything central within Portugal (eg Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda, Ponte de Lima).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello!

My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to take.

We are from the coast in Scotland, so I love the idea of walking along the Atlantic coast, so we are quite set on taking the litoral route from Porto.

As we unfortunately cannot get enough time off work to do the whole walk to Santiago, I'm looking for an itinerary which will offer a nice mix between coastal and historical/village. I've read some posts from pilgrims who've swapped between routes, so wondering if that's what to do..

So please, I'd be very grateful to hear suggestions of what your favourite way to do the first week of the Camino from Porto would be. We're both good walkers/hikers, so happy with 25-30km days if needed.

Thank you!
Given your time constraints, just walking the coastal north from Porto might be the simplest approach. However far you get, it's easy to take the train, bus or metro back to Porto.* Also, you say you love the idea of walking along the Atlantic coast and the Portuguese coastal is ideal for that. And there are plenty of interesting sights along the way.
* This applies to the Portuguese side of the Minho River. Once you cross the border into Spain, it gets harder to get back quickly to Porto. For that reason, you might consider stopping at Caminha or Valença, which is one day east of Caminha but still on the train line back to Porto.

Hello!

Thank you!
Coastal. It's lovely and you truly do not have the time to zig zag, which we did, walking to Santiago from Porto in 13 days.

Hello!

Thank you!
In 7 days I would suggest do the Portuguese internal to say Tui. I did the coastal to porto (in reverse) from Vigo it took 15 days, but I took my time. You will have a better walking experience and mix with fellow walkers on the internal trail with only 7 days and its a nice walk. The coastal can get abit empty of travellers, although very nice coatal towns and the albergues are varied. I did the costal in August and the celebrations were all in full swing and lots to occupy myself.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!

Thank you!
Loved the Coastal route! Bomb Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back