• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WHat size backpack for a small woman?

Brenda Ethier

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Porgugues September 2018
I am 5' 1" (155 cm) tall and weigh about 115 lbs with a very short torso. I'm looking at a Gregory Women's backpack in XS which is 56 litres. Does this sound reasonable to hike the Camino Portugues? I have read that people like the Osprey backpacks on here, but they don't come any smaller than Small and according to another article I read, with my short torso, I would need an XS. I know I need to go and try them on, but just looking for a wee bit of guidance. This will be my first Camino, but I've hiked with a friend in Wales (Pembrokeshire Coastal Trail) and Ireland (Wicklow Way & Coastal Trail) and most recently, Les Sentiers de L'Estrie in the Eastern Townships of Quebec which was the most gruelling hike ever. We just did day hikes and stayed overnight on all these hikes. This time we are planning to do from Porto to Santiago, averaging 20 km a day.

Brenda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do you need 56L, I ask as smaller volume pack are lighter? I would first look at the packing list and without the pack try to get it to about ten or less pounds including water. Then carry it all to a large hiking store and try out packs until you hit a good one.

Most people seem to be choosing pack sizes around the 33 litre size for the Camino. My wife and I use Lowe Alpine and a very happy with these. But many manufacturers such as Deuter make packs with a shorter back specifically for women. The pack my wife uses is the Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro ND33:40 https://lowealpine.com/uk/airzone-pro-nd-33-40-4 which can be purchased for about £80. She is very happy with it. What I would suggest is to find a good outdoors shop where you can try one various packs to find which is the most comfortable for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife is of a similar stature and she uses a 30 litre pack weighing under a kilo or about 2 pounds. The Gregory which I think you might be considering looks to be 2.2 kilos or close to 5 pounds. I'm 6'4" and take a lightweight 50 litre pack myself.

As suggested put together what you really need and then see what size pack you need. You really don't want unnecessary weight - we aim for 5 kilos for my wife and 8 kilos for myself as maximums before adding water.

A good outdoor shop will usually let you take your purchase to try at home and return if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Buen Camino.

Do you need 56L, I ask as smaller volume pack are lighter? I would first look at the packing list and without the pack try to get it to about ten or less pounds including water. Then carry it all to a large hiking store and try out packs until you hit a good one.
Larger volume does not necessarily mean heavier, even within a brand. Some models will weigh less than in a 50 l. for example than a 40 liter in a different model. Buyer beware, always, always look at the pack’s weight, not just its volume.

What does the Gregory you are looking at weigh? Should be 1kg max. If it fits you well, and you are strict about what you load in it (don’t add stuff just because it fits) it may work well for you. Larger means more shopping at the end of your trip, it also means more flexibility in the future to carry a sleeping bag you may not be carrying this time, and it also means less fighting with it when loading it in the morning and easier to find stuff in it should you need to during the day.

I am 160 cm tall and have a shortish back. The small Deuter Groeden women's pack is brilliant. Light comfy and super compartments. Around 30 ltrs. I have a couple of bottle holders I attach to waist and shoulder strap for 750 mls bottles.

I have read that people like the Osprey backpacks on here, but they don't come any smaller than Small
I'm not sure that is true. According to osprey.com, the Kyte 36 (just for example) comes in XS.

Although the torso measurement is a very good place to start in narrowing down your choices, there are quite a few variations in body type beyond that. Even within the stated size, there is a range that is adjustable. So you really do need to try on a number of "Small" and "Very Small" packs. A volume in the mid 30's should be adequate, although the fit and comfort are more important than reducing the volume to the minimum. They are also more important than a few grams of pack weight difference.

My wife is your size and uses an Osprey Sirrus 22 L. She gets away with 22L because I carry some of her gear (not much though) in my Stratos 34L.

So Osprey do make small sizes..........

56L sounds very large to me (and heavy at 2.2 L) :oops:

My wife is of a similar stature and she uses a 30 litre pack weighing under a kilo or about 2 pounds. The Gregory which I think you might be considering looks to be 2.2 kilos or close to 5 pounds. I'm 6'4" and take a lightweight 50 litre pack myself.

As suggested put together what you really need and then see what size pack you need. You really don't want unnecessary weight - we aim for 5 kilos for my wife and 8 kilos for myself as maximums before adding water.

A good outdoor shop will usually let you take your purchase to try at home and return if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Buen Camino.

Very similar weights here..... We've managed 4 KG and 8.5 KG (without water).

That includes 2 x sleeping bags, 1 x liner for extra warmth (for the Boss), 2 complete sets of clothes, extra set of under wear / socks (making 3 sets), trekking sandals for evening (and backup), a 'scrubba' for clothes washing, a coil and cup (for cooking noodles and boiling eggs) rain pants and jackets, fleeces, 2 x trekking umbrellas, headlamps, etc etc, and even a mini hair dryer! Pat's bag would still only be 5 KG all up if she carried all her own gear.

As mentioned above, the packs are 22 L (1.05 KG) and 34 L (1.2 KG). Not light bags by any means, but we like them for the comfort. Airspeed (ventilated) backs, well padded shoulder straps, wide hip belts...

Time of year and weather makes a difference of course. We walk in late April to early June. If in colder weather I might add another 500-700 gms each? Warmer sleeping bag, warmer gloves, warmer hat, and maybe a thicker shirt. But our 'summer' gear was good for walking in 2 C. All about layers....

Last edited:
Hi Brenda, in my experience it's almost impossible to predict how a pack will fit without trying it out. Having previously walked with an assortment of borrowed and used packs I was surprised just how comfortable a well fitting light weight pack can be.

I enjoyed researching a shortlist beforehand but left the shop with a completely different pack which just felt 'right'- particularly how it sat on my hips. And they found it in a colour I could live with so I didn't have to wear the stripey lime green one!

Its a fine Camino from Porto, wishing you well with your pack choice and journey.

Hi Brenda, in my experience it's almost impossible to predict how a pack will fit without trying it out. Having previously walked with an assortment of borrowed and used packs I was surprised just how comfortable a well fitting light weight pack can be.

I enjoyed researching a shortlist beforehand but left the shop with a completely different pack which just felt 'right'- particularly how it sat on my hips. And they found it in a colour I could live with so I didn't have to wear the stripey lime green one!

Its a fine Camino from Porto, wishing you well with your pack choice and journey.

Very good point! :)
We both came out of the store with different choices than those we went in with!
All down to fit and comfort.
Most stores will have weighted 'sacks' for you to try the packs with a suitable weight in.
I also took all my gear into the store in a heavy garbage bag and just stuffed it in, to see if it would all fit...........

56 liters is much bigger than you need. I carried a 36 liter backpack and had plenty of extra room. I have recently bought North Face Aleia 32, which comes in at 31 ounces/879 grams. It comes in a small size, and has an adjustable back length.
I haven't used it on Camino yet, but I just took it on vacation, and it carries very well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Brenda-- I am 5'3" and slight across the shoulders. I had a difficult time finding a pack that fit me, as the straps kept shifting off my shoulders. I definitely agrees with the recommendation to try on packs. I ordered many packs (inc. osprey and deuter), but ended up liking the LL Bean women AT 36 Day Pack and AT 50 Expedition packs. I got the 36 for my first camino, and for my second camino went with the 50 as the 36 was just a touch too small. The trampoline suspension on the back shifts the weight onto my hips, and the pack is narrow enough so the straps are comfortable. The XS is small enough to be a carry on. I like that the 50 has a bottom compartment that I can stuff my down sleeping bag into pretty easily, and there is an outside zipped compartment with various size pockets where my first aid kit and toiletries. You can order packs from ll bean (also osprey brand), try them on, put something heavy in them and hike around the house or down the street. If you don't like them you can ship them back. (Return shipping is free if you have an LL Bean credit card.)

Last edited:
I just want to agree with all previous comments!! :)

56 l is really too much!! In winter I use a 50 l backpack (I weight 95 kg) and even this 50 l is too big.
For this summer I plan to use one backpack of 30/35 l and, believe me, everything will fit inside!! :)

Buen camino & Ultreia!!

I am 5' 1" (155 cm) tall and weigh about 115 lbs with a very short torso. I'm looking at a Gregory Women's backpack in XS which is 56 litres. Does this sound reasonable to hike the Camino Portugues? I have read that people like the Osprey backpacks on here, but they don't come any smaller than Small and according to another article I read, with my short torso, I would need an XS. I know I need to go and try them on, but just looking for a wee bit of guidance. This will be my first Camino, but I've hiked with a friend in Wales (Pembrokeshire Coastal Trail) and Ireland (Wicklow Way & Coastal Trail) and most recently, Les Sentiers de L'Estrie in the Eastern Townships of Quebec which was the most gruelling hike ever. We just did day hikes and stayed overnight on all these hikes. This time we are planning to do from Porto to Santiago, averaging 20 km a day.

Brenda
Hi I am 5” about 120 lb and i walked the camino frances in apr-may 2017 using an Osprey 40litre Tempest. I had 14 lb total weight. I had no issues with comfort or fit.

You should aim to carry no more than 10% of your body weight. You have probably read that somewhere. It's a suspiciously 'round' number, based on nothing scientific or practical. Why not 9% or 11%? You need to pack the BARE essentials. Not three of everything (one on, one off and one in the wash), just two items of each type of underwear. You will not die or offend anyone if you wear the same socks for a week, ditto for knickers. OK, maybe not a week, but several days. Get clothes that will dry overnight and wash as soon as you get into your accommodation. If they are not quite dry next day, attach them to your bag and let them dry in the wind. Tough if it's raining :(. The heaviest item I carry is my camera and its battery charger. Apart from that I carry about 8kg including the rucksack.

The only thing that matters when choosing a backpack is that it fits you and is comfortable for YOU to walk with. Trying it out fully loaded is the only way to assure this. Buen Camino, SY

Brenda
I am 5'2" I have just upgraded to a 40litre very lightweight backpack as I would like room to carry a bit of food instead of carrying an extra food bag.
I keep my backpack weight to max 7kg and I can still get pressure blisters. It is important that your backpack is lightweight to
Start with. I find some of the more popular brands are quite heavy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Brenda

Forget the cargo capacity of the pack, ie the number of liters it will hold. That is not the important measurement.

First, get an accurate measure of your torso, your waist, and determine what shape the shoulder harness will best fit you. Once these measurements are dialed in, then you can determine what size pack -- usually expressed as "small", "medium", "large", "extra large", although these delineations in size can be combined, depending on the manufacturer (S/M, M/L, L/XL).

As others have stated, the pack must be tried out in person to decide if it will work for you. The less experience one has with wearing a pack, the more time it takes to be reasonably certain it will properly handle the load and will be reasonably comfortable while carrying it for long hours at a time. And little things about a pack can mean the difference between having a peaceful coexistence with your pack VS having the pack be so irritating that you're ready to fling it off the next cliff. Be prepared to load the pack in the store, or at home, with around 20 to 25 pounds weight... a proper store will have bags of sand or pebbles to do this --- and spend a good thirty minutes walking around the store, up and down stairs, wandering around to see how the pack feels. Likely, you will be carrying less weight than 20 or 25 pounds; but you are needing the heavier weight to help compensate for a limited "try out" period in the store.

For example, how much does it matter about having your back perpetually soaked in sweat while hiking with a backpack? Some pack manufacturers do a better job of back ventilation than others. Can you live with minimal side and back outside pockets, or do you want to avoid having to dig into your pack to grab frequently needed items? Does the hipbelt properly mold to your hips, or does it just grab them causing chaffing and irritation to the skin?

Lot's of stuff to consider about backpack choices, and though you want to check out models that seem "popular", there are a lot of manufacturers that are well worth considering. In addition to Osprey (which I personally dislike for anything other than a day pack), ULA, Gossamer Gear, Zpacks, Deuter, Mountain Laurel Designs, etc... all offer terrific packs.

Here are a couple of links to some pack fitting and sizing sites. Ignore any brand affiliation as the information is pretty pertinent regardless of brand.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html

http://blog.gossamergear.com/how-to-size-and-fit-an-ultralight-backpack

https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-fit-a-backpack/

Brenda
I am your height and just a few pounds lighter. I walked last autumn with a 35 liter Lowe Alpine back pack that has an adjustable back length. The sales assistant gave me a lot of time in selecting a suitable pack and adjusting it for my height. I found it very comfortable and adequate for a 500 km hike which included great heat, a small amount of rain, and cold weather on our last week, including one very frosty morning. It is extendable to 42 liters and on long days when we needed to carry more food and water (VDLP) I used some of the extra space, but not routinely.

Brenda

I walked in May 2017 and carried a 36 liter Osprey. I'm 5'1" as well and about 120lbs. I think I could have carried a smaller pack - 56 liters is way more than you should need. I ended up taking things out and sending them on to Santiago. You don't need much....1 change of clothes, toiletries, a personal item or two, fleece, rain jacket. Don't take too much - I know much more now so I will pack much lighter on my next Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Brenda
Hi Brenda.

I, too, am 5.1 with a short torso. I have walked two Caminos with an Osprey Kyte 36L. I love how it sits on my body. It has in built adjustable torso length. Always best, as many said, to get measured, and try some on. Good luck to you. Buen Camino!

Hi Brenda,

I'm your same weight and height, and my advice is to check out the backpacks for kids. On two Camions, I've used the Deuter Fox 40 Pack - Kids, which was marketed for boys. Often the kid sizes fit petite frames better, and they sometimes cost less too! 40 L was more than enough, and I actually had a good bit of extra space in the pack.

Oh, and if you're a small women don't let the whole "only carry 10% of your body weight scare you off." While you don't need much on the Camino, it would still be very difficult to get your pack under 5 kg./11 lbs. There are certain things that you just do have to have. I managed to keep mine under 7 kg./15 lbs., and I was fine even though it was more than 10% of my body weight.

Buen camino!

Brenda, weight and comfort are everything in rucksacks.

I would go for the Osprey Exos 48L bag e.g. from Go Outdoors (just over £100) and buy a rucksack cover e.g. the medium size: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0183PYA18/?tag=casaivar-21

The Exos bag is larger than you probably need but the extra space makes packing a breeze. (there are smaller and larger versions I think but 48L is great, even if you don't use all the space. It's very comfortable, adjustable, gets fantastic reviews and most importantly it's strong and ultra light, coming in at just over 1kg, much lighter than most rucksacks which are much smaller. It also has a lifetime guarantee. It's not the cheapest rucksack, but you are paying for quality!

You will probably need the the smaller torso rucksack (there are three sizes) but search for Osprey rucksacks, download the app from their website for measuring torso size and have a bit of fun using it to be sure - or just go to a shop and try it out!

€46,-

Brenda
I just bought a 36l Osprey XS-S. Am same size as you. Large enough. Don’t go for more than 40l. You won’t need it. Test walked with 2/3 of load. Love my pack

Hi Brenda,

No one has caught on to this so I will repeat it, especially to properly address your question and concerns.

Definitely go to a store and try on some packs. The one you mention is too large and heavy, even the XS. The pack size to consider may likely be in the 35L to 45L max. range.

Now, how best to acquire the pack that will fit and work best for you....

I highly recommend that all the actual items you will take on this trip be put into a garbage bag. Take that bag with you to the store. Upon arrival, ask for the associate that has the greatest experience, and success in sizing backpacks for women of your particular stature. Be confident that they will do their best as there is a lot of competition in camping / hiking equipment these days.

Now, they will choose a couple of packs for you and show the attributes, forget all that and ask them to place your belongings in the first pack and see if they can adjust it to fit you, very comfortably. If you have water bottle(s), take the equivalent in bottled water, unopened, so they can be added to the pack. You want the real feel. Repeat this process until you find the pack that makes you happiest. Do not be concerned about time. Take as much as you need to find the pack that works and feels the best.

There is only one thing to remember. Pack only what is needed. If "wants," are added, they may quickly be left behind due to their added weight. No need to do that if decisions can be made before departure. Two pounds is not going to be enough to cover your needs but 10 or 11 pounds may also be too much. Do your best to pare that down as much as possible. If a decision on pack contents needs to be made, ask one thing, "Am I willing / able to carry this 800 km?"

Brenda just be sure you try on different packs to find the right torso size for your stature. There are many options out there. I chose an the Osprey Kyte 36 because it felt right for me. I was fitted at my local outdoors store (I also liked the built in rain cover!).
The most important advice I received, was keeping the overall weight on my back to about 10% of my body weight. So, at 137 lbs I carried 14 lbs., pack included. It took me awhile to pare down to that weight, but it was perfect. I loaded my pack and literally stepped on and off the scale removing and adjusting my contents. Too much weight will exhaust you and wears on your hips and knees. Trekking poles also help with distribution of the weight. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gee. How much stuff do you want to take? I’m the same hight and is d an Osprey 36 L. Big enough. No need for 56. Way to big. My bag weight 5.5kg plus my water bottle which I attached on the shoulder strap in the front to have less weight on the back. Didn’t feel the bottle at all. Absolutely loved my Osprey. Tried so many bags. The shop assistant will help you find the right size and fit it for you. She put about 6kg into my bag and the moment I had it strapped on I knew that I found the right one. Hardly felt the weight.

OP 2018.
TL;DR:

Go to a reputable outfitter and be professionally sized.
If you live in a remote area and have no outfitter, locate your C7 vertebra at the mount where your shoulders meet your neck (it's the one that sticks way out if you put your chin to your chest). Locate the point where your lumbar spine meets your iliac crest: "slide your hands down the ribcage to the top of your hip bones (aka the iliac crest). With index fingers pointing forward and thumbs pointing backward, draw an imaginary line between your thumbs. This spot on your lumbar is the bottom of your torso measurement."
Measure that point up to C7 to get your torso length.
I am 16.5" and generally buy a small-medium Osprey. You may want a different fit. Other pack companies will give you the sizing standard for your torso length.
Some packs (like the Osprey Kyte 36-L can adjust the torso length a little with a changeable mechanism on the back panel.
36L holding capacity is, as others have said, plenty.

Gee. How much stuff do you want to take? I’m the same hight and is d an Osprey 36 L. Big enough. No need for 56. Way to big. My bag weight 5.5kg plus my water bottle which I attached on the shoulder strap in the front to have less weight on the back. Didn’t feel the bottle at all. Absolutely loved my Osprey. Tried so many bags. The shop assistant will help you find the right size and fit it for you. She put about 6kg into my bag and the moment I had it strapped on I knew that I found the right one. Hardly felt the weight.
Sometimes a large volume pack actually weighs less than a smaller volume pack, so that's not the only consideration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.