• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options: what to do after arriving in Santiago

caminograce

Time of past OR future Camino
Last camino CF, March 2020
Next camino CF May 2023
Hi all, I've been walking the Camino Frances from SJPP since 18th May and I'm due to arrive in Santiago on either Saturday or Sunday. My flight home is at noon on Thursday, so I'll have a few days to play with. I've walked other caminos previously and have no real desire to hang around Santiago for more than a day at the most (the cathedral is wonderful but I don't need to schedule a visit this time). I expect I'll feel a bit emotionally shattered and the urge to keep moving or at least take myself off for a couple of days to decompress. I've toyed with the idea of picking up my pace, arriving in Santiago on Saturday and continuing on to walk to Finisterre to arrive there by Wednesday, in time to make my flight on Thurs. However I've walked to Finisterre in the past and I don't feel a dire need to continue on there (at least that's where I'm at right now.) So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of alternative places to walk to or catch a bus to and stay for a couple of nights. Muxia is a possibility. Im thinking coast and/or nature rather than cities or towns. I'm non religious however any spiritual/energy healing centres would be of interest. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions! Thanks in advance

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had a lot of very helpful replies to a query about what to do with spare time in Santiago a couple of months ago here .

Hope you find something that works for you.
There are useful suggestions at this link from @BarbaraW. I have done some combination or other of walking to Muxia and Fisterra, catching up with people over tapas or a meal, doing a little shopping, and taking an organized bus tour to Fisterra and Muxia.

I like to push Ourense and a day in the hot springs, but it's only a day. It also depends on whether you are the type that likes to sit in a hot tub for an hour and let the world pass you by.

Aside from that, the trip out to the coast is possible and Muxia is quite beautiful, especially sitting by the chapel watching the waves.

If you were interested in more walking and wanted something different, you could also technically head down to Ourense and walk back to Santiago in four days, if you fancied sampling the end of the VdlP (and maybe claiming a last 100km certificate). The Canedo route from Ourense is pretty magical and I'm told Oseira Monastery is worth a visit (i'll be going there in October).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@caminograce - firstly, just to say WOW! You had that thread going in early May about discovering knee pain, whether you'd still be able to walk your camino and what you might do about it. And now here you are at the end of June, approaching Santiago. Congratulations! 😊😊😊
As for your present question, I'd say it depends. If it was me and I had developed a camino crew/family and most of them were going on, then I'd go with the flow. Especially true if you are walking with first-timers, there's something about the decompression sensation that's great to share with people who have just achieved their Santiago goal.
Otherwise, I'd suggest taking the bus to Finisterre and walking over to Muxia. Then you'll be fully qualified to enter the debate about which is best, Finisterre or Muxia... should you wish

Bus to Finisterre then walk to Lires stay 2 nights there and continue your walk to Muxia. Bus back to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I understand correctly, you will arrive in Santiago around June 24. If so, be aware that is the Feast of St. John and Midsummers Eve, and usually they are reasons for a city wide, all night celebration. You might want to enjoy the festivities or flee to Muxia immediately. Lugo is also worth a visit, A Coruna, or Ourense.

Hi all, I've been walking the Camino Frances from SJPP since 18th May and I'm due to arrive in Santiago on either Saturday or Sunday. My flight home is at noon on Thursday, so I'll have a few days to play with. I've walked other caminos previously and have no real desire to hang around Santiago for more than a day at the most (the cathedral is wonderful but I don't need to schedule a visit this time). I expect I'll feel a bit emotionally shattered and the urge to keep moving or at least take myself off for a couple of days to decompress. I've toyed with the idea of picking up my pace, arriving in Santiago on Saturday and continuing on to walk to Finisterre to arrive there by Wednesday, in time to make my flight on Thurs. However I've walked to Finisterre in the past and I don't feel a dire need to continue on there (at least that's where I'm at right now.) So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of alternative places to walk to or catch a bus to and stay for a couple of nights. Muxia is a possibility. Im thinking coast and/or nature rather than cities or towns. I'm non religious however any spiritual/energy healing centres would be of interest. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions! Thanks in advance
If you haven't walked to Muxia before, I would definitely recommend it. The way is beautiful and Muxia is a delight -- small and charming and non-touristy. It stole my heart. And its tiny beach in a sheltered cove is wonderfully swimmable. Don't miss it. I far preferred it to Finisterre!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Muxia is delightful. Also, I see people suggesting A Coruña. If you head in that direction, Cambre is worth a stop, in my opinion.

If I understand correctly, you will arrive in Santiago around June 24. If so, be aware that is the Feast of St. John and Midsummers Eve, and usually they are reasons for a city wide, all night celebration. You might want to enjoy the festivities or flee to Muxia immediately. Lugo is also worth a visit, A Coruna, or Ourense.
Good shout! I knew it was coming but had it in my head as the 23rd (tomorrow). I'd love to be in Muxia or another coastal spot for that, I have found memories of a very raucous San Juan night down on the Almeria coast many moons ago. But I'm a day shy this time.

If you haven't walked to Muxia before, I would definitely recommend it. The way is beautiful and Muxia is a delight -- small and charming and non-touristy. It stole my heart. And its tiny beach in a sheltered cove is wonderfully swimmable. Don't miss it. I far preferred it to Finisterre!
It sounds lovely! I'm not sure I have time to walk from Santiago to Muxia without feeling a but rushed, but now I'm contemplating getting a bus to Finisterre (if there is one on sunday) walking to Muxia and staying a couple of nights there to relax, swim, and decompress before heading home on Thursday

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It sounds lovely! I'm not sure I have time to walk from Santiago to Muxia without feeling a but rushed, but now I'm contemplating getting a bus to Finisterre (if there is one on sunday) walking to Muxia and staying a couple of nights there to relax, swim, and decompress before heading home on Thursday
That sounds like a good plan. Muxia is nice.

@caminograce - firstly, just to say WOW! You had that thread going in early May about discovering knee pain, whether you'd still be able to walk your camino and what you might do about it. And now here you are at the end of June, approaching Santiago. Congratulations! 😊😊😊
As for your present question, I'd say it depends. If it was me and I had developed a camino crew/family and most of them were going on, then I'd go with the flow. Especially true if you are walking with first-timers, there's something about the decompression sensation that's great to share with people who have just achieved their Santiago goal.
Otherwise, I'd suggest taking the bus to Finisterre and walking over to Muxia. Then you'll be fully qualified to enter the debate about which is best, Finisterre or Muxia... should you wish
Thank you, yes it's been an absolutely incredible journey and I feel so grateful my knee has not only held out, but its barely given me a twinge! (Perhaps I shouldn't tempt fate so close to the end 😆). The advice I got here, from my physio, and a little help from KT tape has made my Camino possible 😁 I'm learning towards your suggestion of bus to Finisterre (on sunday) then walking to Muxia with a night stopover somewhere in between. That should allow me to arrive on Monday afternoon/early evening, spend two nights in Muxia, then head back to Santiago for one more night before my flight on Thursday.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I loved the historic walking tour in Santiago. We’re thinking of walking to Muxia as well this time. Bussed to Finisterre on last Camino.

Muxia is fabulous and you could bus it there and back. The chapel on the rocks is a special place and spectacular with the rocks and sea. I’m not particularly religious but the black statue of our lady in the chapel is very healing. Ben Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pathfinder, I'm interested in learning about the Canedo route you have mentioned here but couldn't find it when I made a Google search 😏

That gives you the basic info, but it is nigh on useless when you are on the ground. The basic gist of it, is you leave the city by walking along the river and heading towards Termas Outariz (hot springs), then walk up a hill past some steel works and other heavy industry, down the other side and under a railway bridge, then you get beasted by a 3.2km hill that is very steep.

I made this for someone last year.

canedo-route-jpg.135578

It's one of the best stages I've done on the Camino. A far better choice than Sarria to Santiago if you are looking for the 100km compostella. That first stage is a bit longer than the Gronze info if you are going to Oseira.

When i did it I actually finished in Dozon, which is the end of the second stage, because I have a bad nut allergy and the Cea municipal had nuts everywhere drying, so i couldn't stay there. But it's very possible to do both stages back to back at a distance of around 35km. I even saw three wolves crossing the road at the top of the hill above Dozon (came out of a storm drain going under the motorway and made a bunch of farm dogs flee). This freaked out the hospitalero at the albergue when I told her (she closed all the doors and looked kinda scared). It was the first time I'd ever seen a wolf in the wild and they are big. :p

Another thing you can do if you feel the need, is sit in the hot springs in the morning before you tackle the hill, or just put your feet in for 10 minutes. I went for the whole sitting in the hot one for 10 minutes, at roughly 6:30am while talking to an expat from Bristol who lived in Ourense. if you knew for sure you were only going to Cea or Oseira, nothing is stopping you from spending an hour or so in the therms.

So doing this mini camino is good if you want to see wildlife and just embrace adventure and overgrown paths. :)

Bus down to
Villanova de arousa and take the Variant
Hi all, I've been walking the Camino Frances from SJPP since 18th May and I'm due to arrive in Santiago on either Saturday or Sunday. My flight home is at noon on Thursday, so I'll have a few days to play with. I've walked other caminos previously and have no real desire to hang around Santiago for more than a day at the most (the cathedral is wonderful but I don't need to schedule a visit this time). I expect I'll feel a bit emotionally shattered and the urge to keep moving or at least take myself off for a couple of days to decompress. I've toyed with the idea of picking up my pace, arriving in Santiago on Saturday and continuing on to walk to Finisterre to arrive there by Wednesday, in time to make my flight on Thurs. However I've walked to Finisterre in the past and I don't feel a dire need to continue on there (at least that's where I'm at right now.) So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of alternative places to walk to or catch a bus to and stay for a couple of nights. Muxia is a possibility. Im thinking coast and/or nature rather than cities or towns. I'm non religious however any spiritual/energy healing centres would be of interest. I'm open
Bus
Bus to Armenteria and walk to Villanova de Arousa and take the boat to Padron and walk back to Finisterre. It's the Variante Espirtual part of the Camino Portuguese. Good luck with whatever you decide. Its your Camino

That gives you the basic info, but it is nigh on useless when you are on the ground. The basic gist of it, is you leave the city by walking along the river and heading towards Termas Outariz (hot springs), then walk up a hill past some steel works and other heavy industry, down the other side and under a railway bridge, then you get beasted by a 3.2km hill that is very steep.

I made this for someone last year.

canedo-route-jpg.135578

It's one of the best stages I've done on the Camino. A far better choice than Sarria to Santiago if you are looking for the 100km compostella. That first stage is a bit longer than the Gronze info if you are going to Oseira.

When i did it I actually finished in Dozon, which is the end of the second stage, because I have a bad nut allergy and the Cea municipal had nuts everywhere drying, so i couldn't stay there. But it's very possible to do both stages back to back at a distance of around 35km. I even saw three wolves crossing the road at the top of the hill above Dozon (came out of a storm drain going under the motorway and made a bunch of farm dogs flee). This freaked out the hospitalero at the albergue when I told her (she closed all the doors and looked kinda scared). It was the first time I'd ever seen a wolf in the wild and they are big. :p

Another thing you can do if you feel the need, is sit in the hot springs in the morning before you tackle the hill, or just put your feet in for 10 minutes. I went for the whole sitting in the hot one for 10 minutes, at roughly 6:30am while talking to an expat from Bristol who lived in Ourense. if you knew for sure you were only going to Cea or Oseira, nothing is stopping you from spending an hour or so in the therms.

So doing this mini camino is good if you want to see wildlife and just embrace adventure and overgrown paths. :)
Thank you Pathfinder, this is wonderful information and detail. I appreciate your full reply. This route does sound wonderful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't recall where I got this from, but I have it aside for my upcoming Santiago visit after I finish the CF/Invierno.
The Cathedral
The great Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela dominates the medieval city. As
other buildings were constructed over time none were allowed to be higher than
the towers of the Cathedral. Legend has it the Cathedral is the burial place of the
remains of St James the Great, one of the Apostles of Jesus. It is the destination
of the pilgrimage routes also known as the “Caminos to Santiago”, along which
pilgrims have travelled for many centuries. In modern times the pilgrimage has
seen a revival and in 2016, 277,854 pilgrims who travelled the last 100 kms on
foot or on horseback, or 200 kms by bicycle, received the Compostela, the
traditional certificate from the Cathedral. When the Feast of St James (25 July)
falls on a Sunday, this is designated a Holy Year. A special door called the Holy
Door, which is sealed at all other times, is opened during this year. 2010 was the
last Holy Year, and it is said 12 million people visited the Cathedral that year,
amongst which were 272,417 pilgrims who received the Compostela. Currently
numbers are exceeding this latest “Holy Year” high (eg 2016: 277,854).
The Cathedral is a Romanesque structure. Building commenced in 1075. There
are later Gothic and Baroque additions.
There are number of places to visit within the Cathedral and its precincts. There is
also an audio tour in many languages. You can rent earphones inside the door of
the Cathedral Museum, in the Plaza Obradoiro

Cathedral Museum visit
The Museum of the Cathedral was opened in 1930. There is much to see. There is
access to: the Cathedral cloister, in which Cathedral canons continue to be
buried; parts of the original Archbishop’s palace; and a balcony, on the third
floor, overlooking the Praza do Obradoiro and nearby buildings. In the museum
there is a large tapestry collection in addition to a display of vestments. Valuable
church artefacts can be seen in the Treasury.
Visit the Roof of the Cathedral and the Archbishop’s Palace
There are regular visits to the roof of the Cathedral, where you actually walk on
the roof! The views of Santiago are magnificent. If you wish to understand the
guide who will be with you, check when there is a tour in English. To buy tickets
enter by the door to the left of the stairs to the main door of the Cathedral.
Excavations of the Cathedral visit
Excavations in modern times have revealed an extensive burial ground under the
Cathedral, stretching as far as the High Altar. Scholars now think that perhaps the
name “Compostela” comes from the Latin compostare meaning “to bury”.
Guided tour of the Portico de la Gloria
The “Door of Glory” is the triple portal at the main entrance to the Cathedral
through which pilgrims traditionally arrived. It was sculpted in the 12th century by
Master Mateo. It is considered to be the finest beauty of the Cathedral. The
Portico has been closed for restoration and is covered in scaffolding at present.
However there are guided tours to examine the design and intricate stone
Carving

Pilgrims’ Mass and the Botafumeiro
Every day at 12 noon there is a special mass to welcome pilgrims to Santiago. The
Mass begins with a long list being read of the nationalities of pilgrims and their
starting points. There follows a sung Mass, often with many priests who have
walked to Santiago also concelebrating. Look out for their boots under their
vestments! Often, but by no means at every Mass, the Botafumeiro is swung.
“Botafumeiro” means “incense spreader” and large thuribles were found in many
Cathedral and large churches in the middle ages. The Botafumeiro in Santiago de
Compostela is the largest in the world, weighing 53 kgs and measuring 1.50m in
height. In the Holy Years, whenever St James's Day falls on a Sunday, the
Botafumeiro is also attached in all the Pilgrims' Masses. Eight tiraboleiros pull the
ropes and bring it into a swinging motion, almost to the roof of the transept,
reaching speeds of 70 km/h and dispensing thick clouds of incense.
Corticela Chapel
If you enter the Cathedral by the door from the Plaza Inmaculada, the entrance
to the Corticela is immediately on your left. This chapel was once a separate
church which over the years, as the Cathedral expanded, became joined to the
main building. However it remains a separate parish church, with its own Parish
Priest, and is not under the jurisdiction of the Cathedral.
The full name of the parish is the Parish of Santa María La Antigua Corticela. The
church is the church of “foreigners, pilgrims and people from the Basque
country”. This is the place where pilgrims may get married or have their babies
baptised.
The Museum of Pilgrimages - Plaza Praterias, next to the Cathedral
Well worth a visit. The museum covers the history of the pilgrimage with many
documents and artefacts. Entrance 2.40€. Half price for pilgrims with credencial
or Compostela.
The Church and Museum of San Martin Pinario
This massive edifice was formerly a Benedictine monastery and is now a museum.
Construction started in the 10th century. It has a magnificent baldicino over the
altar, with choir stalls carved in the 17th century. There is a treasury, portrait
gallery and representation of the original pharmacy.

Ciudad de la Cultura
Exhibitions and the magnificent architecture of Peter Eisenman. The City of
Culture is about 30 minutes walking from the Cathedral. The architecture is very
interesting. To avoid disappointment, check in advance if there are any
exhibitions.
The Museum of Galicia
The Museum of Galician life and culture is situated at the Puerta del Camino,
where the Camino Francés enters the medieval city. It is housed in a former
Dominican Friary.
The Galician Museum of Modern Art
The Galician Museum of Contemporary Art is also situated at the Puerta del
Camino, opposite the Museum of Galicia.
Eugenio Granell Foundation
The Eugenio Granell Foundation was created in Santiago de Compostela in 1995
and is housed in a building in the Plaza Toural, just along from the Tourist Office.
As well as art exhibits, the Foundation also offers theatre, workshops for students
and diverse groups, chamber concerts, conferences and guided tours. With each
exhibit the Foundation publishes a catalogue. The Foundation also owns a
growing library, principally dedicated to surrealism and the art of the 20th
century.
Casa da Troia Museum
Santiago is a university town and in term time 30,000 students swell the resident
population of 95,000 people. This museum recreates the student atmosphere of
the famous boarding house run by 'Doña Generosa' in Santiago de Compostela at
the end of the 19th century, and immortalized by the writer Alejandro Pérez Lugín
in his novel 'La Casa de la Troya'.
The Hotel Reyes Catolicos - the Parador
Occupying the right hand side of the Plaza Obradoiro the Parador began life in
1499, when it was constructed by Royal command as a hospital for pilgrims. It
remained so until, in more modern times, it became the headquarters of the
Faculty of Medicine of the University. Subsequently it became a hotel and part of
the Parador network. Therefore it is known as the world’s oldest hotel. The
tradition of providing hospitality continues today, as the hotel provides 3 free
meals per day to the first 10 pilgrims who queue with their Compostela in hand.
The meals are provided in the staff restaurant.
Colegiata do Sar
The Church of Santa María de Sar stands by the river of that name. It is the oldest
parish church in Santiago. Construction began in the 12th century. It is very
beautiful and boasts a cloister and museum as well as the church itself. Open
daily for visits.
San Francisco and Holy Land Museum
Just 2 minutes’ walk from the Cathedral lies the monumental church and
Monastery of San Francisco. Housing a community of friars of the Franciscan
Order, the buildings date from the 13th century. As their numbers grew smaller,
the Franciscans decided on an entrepreneurial initiative and have converted their
former monastery into a 4* commercial hotel, which is run professionally. The
friars now reside in modern but modest accommodation.
San Francisco is also home to a magnificent museum of the Holy Land, at the
heart of which is an impressive model of the Holy Sepulchre, which was crafted in
Jerusalem over 60 years ago by Franciscan Fray Bartolomé de las Heras-Burgos.
Alameda Park - Paseo da Ferradura
The city´s most renowned and admired viewpoint is that of Paseo da Ferradura,
located in Alameda Park, on the eastern slope of the Santa Susana hill. From
there, there is a spectacular frontal view of the Cathedral rising up majestically
over the mass of historical buildings. This is the most photographed postcard, the
city´s timeless image. Recommended at any time of day, however this viewpoint
is a must at night-time to really understand why the Cathedral was, and is, a
spiritual "beacon".
Monte de Gozo
Monte de Gozo, or “the Mount of Joy” - so called because it is an elevation of
land from which pilgrims can see the Cathedral of Santiago for the first time.
There has been a chapel there since 1105. Nowadays , Monte do Gozo has some
tremendous facilities to accommodate pilgrims, which include a shelter with
capacity for hundreds of people, a restaurant, coffee shop and laundry. It is also
the venue for concerts with a capacity of 40,000.
If you wish to walk the last stage of the Camino Francés from Monte de Gozo you
can get the bus to the airport and ask them to let you off there.

Restaurant suggestions off Ivar

Dezaseis
This gets a number of mentions

This next bunch all seem to be on the one street.
Rua do Franco. A 10 minute walk from the hotel.

A Noiesa ~ Casa De Comidas - Rúa do Franco, 40
El Papatorio (El Papatorio Tapas y Brasas) - Rúa do Franco, 20 (I think someone already mentioned this one)
Restaurante Ribadaviav- Rúa do Franco, 16
We love O’42 on Rua Franco. Gone there after each of my Caminos.
I would also recommend Taberna do Bispo. Out of this world tapas.

Rúa do Franco, 37, 15702 Santiago de Compostela

I doubt that you could do much better than Santiago for energy centres.

There is a bar, Cestana, across the road from the park of the two ladies. If you are sensitive to the energies, just sit here and soak up the energy from those arriving from Portugal, and those just roaming around.

And the cathedral of course. And other places. Santiago is a Powerhouse

I don't recall where I got this from, but I have it aside for my upcoming Santiago visit after I finish the CF/Invierno.
The Cathedral
The great Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela dominates the medieval city. As
other buildings were constructed over time none were allowed to be higher than
the towers of the Cathedral. Legend has it the Cathedral is the burial place of the
remains of St James the Great, one of the Apostles of Jesus. It is the destination
of the pilgrimage routes also known as the “Caminos to Santiago”, along which
pilgrims have travelled for many centuries. In modern times the pilgrimage has
seen a revival and in 2016, 277,854 pilgrims who travelled the last 100 kms on
foot or on horseback, or 200 kms by bicycle, received the Compostela, the
traditional certificate from the Cathedral. When the Feast of St James (25 July)
falls on a Sunday, this is designated a Holy Year. A special door called the Holy
Door, which is sealed at all other times, is opened during this year. 2010 was the
last Holy Year, and it is said 12 million people visited the Cathedral that year,
amongst which were 272,417 pilgrims who received the Compostela. Currently
numbers are exceeding this latest “Holy Year” high (eg 2016: 277,854).
The Cathedral is a Romanesque structure. Building commenced in 1075. There
are later Gothic and Baroque additions.
There are number of places to visit within the Cathedral and its precincts. There is
also an audio tour in many languages. You can rent earphones inside the door of
the Cathedral Museum, in the Plaza Obradoiro

Cathedral Museum visit
The Museum of the Cathedral was opened in 1930. There is much to see. There is
access to: the Cathedral cloister, in which Cathedral canons continue to be
buried; parts of the original Archbishop’s palace; and a balcony, on the third
floor, overlooking the Praza do Obradoiro and nearby buildings. In the museum
there is a large tapestry collection in addition to a display of vestments. Valuable
church artefacts can be seen in the Treasury.

Visit the Roof of the Cathedral and the Archbishop’s Palace
There are regular visits to the roof of the Cathedral, where you actually walk on
the roof! The views of Santiago are magnificent. If you wish to understand the
guide who will be with you, check when there is a tour in English. To buy tickets
enter by the door to the left of the stairs to the main door of the Cathedral.

Excavations of the Cathedral visit
Excavations in modern times have revealed an extensive burial ground under the
Cathedral, stretching as far as the High Altar. Scholars now think that perhaps the
name “Compostela” comes from the Latin compostare meaning “to bury”.

Guided tour of the Portico de la Gloria
The “Door of Glory” is the triple portal at the main entrance to the Cathedral
through which pilgrims traditionally arrived. It was sculpted in the 12th century by
Master Mateo. It is considered to be the finest beauty of the Cathedral. The
Portico has been closed for restoration and is covered in scaffolding at present.
However there are guided tours to examine the design and intricate stone
Carving

Pilgrims’ Mass and the Botafumeiro
Every day at 12 noon there is a special mass to welcome pilgrims to Santiago. The
Mass begins with a long list being read of the nationalities of pilgrims and their
starting points. There follows a sung Mass, often with many priests who have
walked to Santiago also concelebrating. Look out for their boots under their
vestments! Often, but by no means at every Mass, the Botafumeiro is swung.
“Botafumeiro” means “incense spreader” and large thuribles were found in many
Cathedral and large churches in the middle ages. The Botafumeiro in Santiago de
Compostela is the largest in the world, weighing 53 kgs and measuring 1.50m in
height. In the Holy Years, whenever St James's Day falls on a Sunday, the
Botafumeiro is also attached in all the Pilgrims' Masses. Eight tiraboleiros pull the
ropes and bring it into a swinging motion, almost to the roof of the transept,
reaching speeds of 70 km/h and dispensing thick clouds of incense.

Corticela Chapel
If you enter the Cathedral by the door from the Plaza Inmaculada, the entrance
to the Corticela is immediately on your left. This chapel was once a separate
church which over the years, as the Cathedral expanded, became joined to the
main building. However it remains a separate parish church, with its own Parish
Priest, and is not under the jurisdiction of the Cathedral.
The full name of the parish is the Parish of Santa María La Antigua Corticela. The
church is the church of “foreigners, pilgrims and people from the Basque
country”. This is the place where pilgrims may get married or have their babies
baptised.
The Museum of Pilgrimages - Plaza Praterias, next to the Cathedral
Well worth a visit. The museum covers the history of the pilgrimage with many
documents and artefacts. Entrance 2.40€. Half price for pilgrims with credencial
or Compostela.
The Church and Museum of San Martin Pinario
This massive edifice was formerly a Benedictine monastery and is now a museum.
Construction started in the 10th century. It has a magnificent baldicino over the
altar, with choir stalls carved in the 17th century. There is a treasury, portrait
gallery and representation of the original pharmacy.

Ciudad de la Cultura
Exhibitions and the magnificent architecture of Peter Eisenman. The City of
Culture is about 30 minutes walking from the Cathedral. The architecture is very
interesting. To avoid disappointment, check in advance if there are any
exhibitions.
The Museum of Galicia
The Museum of Galician life and culture is situated at the Puerta del Camino,
where the Camino Francés enters the medieval city. It is housed in a former
Dominican Friary.
The Galician Museum of Modern Art
The Galician Museum of Contemporary Art is also situated at the Puerta del
Camino, opposite the Museum of Galicia.
Eugenio Granell Foundation
The Eugenio Granell Foundation was created in Santiago de Compostela in 1995
and is housed in a building in the Plaza Toural, just along from the Tourist Office.
As well as art exhibits, the Foundation also offers theatre, workshops for students
and diverse groups, chamber concerts, conferences and guided tours. With each
exhibit the Foundation publishes a catalogue. The Foundation also owns a
growing library, principally dedicated to surrealism and the art of the 20th
century.
Casa da Troia Museum
Santiago is a university town and in term time 30,000 students swell the resident
population of 95,000 people. This museum recreates the student atmosphere of
the famous boarding house run by 'Doña Generosa' in Santiago de Compostela at
the end of the 19th century, and immortalized by the writer Alejandro Pérez Lugín
in his novel 'La Casa de la Troya'.

The Hotel Reyes Catolicos - the Parador
Occupying the right hand side of the Plaza Obradoiro the Parador began life in
1499, when it was constructed by Royal command as a hospital for pilgrims. It
remained so until, in more modern times, it became the headquarters of the
Faculty of Medicine of the University. Subsequently it became a hotel and part of
the Parador network. Therefore it is known as the world’s oldest hotel. The
tradition of providing hospitality continues today, as the hotel provides 3 free
meals per day to the first 10 pilgrims who queue with their Compostela in hand.
The meals are provided in the staff restaurant.
Colegiata do Sar
The Church of Santa María de Sar stands by the river of that name. It is the oldest
parish church in Santiago. Construction began in the 12th century. It is very
beautiful and boasts a cloister and museum as well as the church itself. Open
daily for visits.
San Francisco and Holy Land Museum
Just 2 minutes’ walk from the Cathedral lies the monumental church and
Monastery of San Francisco. Housing a community of friars of the Franciscan
Order, the buildings date from the 13th century. As their numbers grew smaller,
the Franciscans decided on an entrepreneurial initiative and have converted their
former monastery into a 4* commercial hotel, which is run professionally. The
friars now reside in modern but modest accommodation.
San Francisco is also home to a magnificent museum of the Holy Land, at the
heart of which is an impressive model of the Holy Sepulchre, which was crafted in
Jerusalem over 60 years ago by Franciscan Fray Bartolomé de las Heras-Burgos.
Alameda Park - Paseo da Ferradura
The city´s most renowned and admired viewpoint is that of Paseo da Ferradura,
located in Alameda Park, on the eastern slope of the Santa Susana hill. From
there, there is a spectacular frontal view of the Cathedral rising up majestically
over the mass of historical buildings. This is the most photographed postcard, the
city´s timeless image. Recommended at any time of day, however this viewpoint
is a must at night-time to really understand why the Cathedral was, and is, a
spiritual "beacon".
Monte de Gozo
Monte de Gozo, or “the Mount of Joy” - so called because it is an elevation of
land from which pilgrims can see the Cathedral of Santiago for the first time.
There has been a chapel there since 1105. Nowadays , Monte do Gozo has some
tremendous facilities to accommodate pilgrims, which include a shelter with
capacity for hundreds of people, a restaurant, coffee shop and laundry. It is also
the venue for concerts with a capacity of 40,000.
If you wish to walk the last stage of the Camino Francés from Monte de Gozo you
can get the bus to the airport and ask them to let you off there.

Restaurant suggestions off Ivar

Dezaseis
This gets a number of mentions

This next bunch all seem to be on the one street.
Rua do Franco. A 10 minute walk from the hotel.

A Noiesa ~ Casa De Comidas - Rúa do Franco, 40
El Papatorio (El Papatorio Tapas y Brasas) - Rúa do Franco, 20 (I think someone already mentioned this one)
Restaurante Ribadaviav- Rúa do Franco, 16
We love O’42 on Rua Franco. Gone there after each of my Caminos.
I would also recommend Taberna do Bispo. Out of this world tapas.

Rúa do Franco, 37, 15702 Santiago de Compostela
This is brilliant info, thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Me too.

There is an English speaking welcome in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, Room 6, first floor, that provides a space for people to tell their Camino stories and process their experience- open to all faiths and none!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
FWIW, Muxia has a new paradore that is absolutely stunning and would be a wonderful place to decompress. I'm looking forward to staying there in late October. https://paradores.es/en/parador-costa-da-morte

Bus to Finisterre then walk to Lires stay 2 nights there and continue your walk to Muxia. Bus back to Santiago.
I loved Lires. Better than Muxia and Finesterre. I stayed at LiresCa, walked town the river to the beach and enjoyed a drink at the bar there. So quiet, peaceful but not exciting.

I took the bus to Muxia and spent time at the lighthouse and beach. Next day walked to Lires. Myself and another pilgrim missed the turnoff so did more road walking than we should have. Went to the beach. Then walked ro Finisterre and went to the beach. I wished I'd stayed two nights as I wasn't up to walking to the lighthouse and back and missed seeing the other beach. There is a beach theme here. Took bus back to Santiago. It was good to continue walking if only for a few more days and relatively short distances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walk to Finisteire! It’s a beautiful way.

Yesterday, I detoured from Sarria and took the bus to Lugo for a day/overnight. I had been there twice before, once to fill a couple days after Santiago and before the flight home. It is enchanting. and easy to travel to and from

Hi, if the weather is nice, I suggest you take the bus to Muxia, stay 1 night, walk to Lires, enjoy the beach, stay 1 night, and walk on to Finisterre, and take the bus back to Santiago next day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back