• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What was the thing you were most happy to lose on the Camino?

Jarrad

Time of past OR future Camino
Wandering since 2014
The thread from Arn had me thinking about stuff I brought on the Camino that I used up and, in one case, lost. At the alburgue in Roncevalles, there is the table where you can see the extra clothes, footwear, huge sleeping bags, and other stuff pilgrims leave after that challenging stage of the Camino Frances. What were you happy to leave behind or even lose? What lightened your load, physically and/or metaphysically?

I had brought a light tan a ball cap from home to wear because I liked the material and it breathed well while keeping the sun off my head. But embroidered on the front of the hat was the logo of my place of work, which at that time was quite unpleasant. A couple of hours after leaving Orisson early in the a.m., I stopped for a quick break to adjust my pack and shed some layers. At my lunch stop a few hours later, I realized the hat was not on my head. Apparently I set it down during my pit stop on the French side of the mountains and in my haste to get on The Way, I left it behind. I felt bad about littering the Pyrenees with my clothing and not having that visor to keep the sun off my face. But in a poignant way it reminded me to let go of some of those emotions we sometimes carry from work to home and maybe, for a few of us, all the way to Spain.

Epilogue: Turns out they sell hats in Spain that are even more awesome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This made me think of one my fellow pilgrims.... We arrived in Santiago, she was told she couldn’t bring her rucksack into the Cathedral so she left it on the steps! ‘Anybody is welcome to it!’
And yes, it was still there when we came back after Mass. She was NOT happy! 😁
Joke apart, I am boring, didn’t want to lose anything on the Camino as I carried the absolute minimum. I did ‘lose’ my towel and my sleeping bag liner one year.... Obviously someone else needed them more than me 😳 I had to buy a new towel but managed without the liner.

Last edited:
I was not happy to lose my ultra lightweight wind jacket, my twisty clothes line, my nappy pins, my oval shaped pocket water bottle, my spare pair of socks, my visor....

I've abandoned things I did not want/need. I can't recall "losing" anything I did not regret.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did not purposely leave behind any item I had brought...thanks to learning tips on this forum.
I did however, lose my favorite wool knit hat. It was warm and appreciated on a few occasions in April and I loved the interesting yarn it was made from.
I also left my favorite wicking runner's cap at a restaurant, but by the time I discovered I didn't have it, I was too far away to retrieve it. It was somewhat different than a baseball cap and fit me well...oh well.
Lastly, I left my sunglasses "somewhere", so had to replace them asap.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Weight and self-doubt were my best losses.

In 2004 at 65 when I first began walking my height was 172 cm and weight 65 kilos. By the end of that camino and ever since my weight remains less than 61 kilos. Each time entering Santiago I physically felt remade; my bones might have been the same but they seemed re configured.

More important than any physical slimming down and tightening up was the psychological change. I have learned my limits as well as the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Compared with ten climbs up O Cebreiro daily trivialities in life now at 81 have less importance; what matters most is to keep on trying!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like others, I was very happy to lose a lot of weight on camino. And much of it has not come back. However, this has caused the related problem of how to keep my clothes on, first revealing itself when my skirt threatened to fall down at the end of my first camino and I had to buy a belt in Santiago. Over the long term, almost all of my trousers are now reluctant to stay up. I am doing my best to "feed them up" during the pandemic.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bodyweight.
The Camino-diet is very effective.

Sadly..............not for some.
3 caminos so far and never lost an ounce........ :oops:

It might have been the CF routine...........
Breakfast
2nd Breakfast
Menu del Dia Lunch
Pilgrim Dinner.......

Hopefully a much more remote Camino next time will keep my snout 'out of the trough' a bit more. :rolleyes:

For anyone who really likes to eat, and drink wine..........
the Camino Frances needs to come with a health warning!

Thing I was happiest to lose?

Anxiety - Worrying about work!

As a small business owner I'm 'on' 24/7.
Lots of mouths to feed........lots of things to juggle.
It just never stops.

On my 1st Camino I gave everyone 18 months notice that I would be gone, and offline for 2 months......
As the time approached, they realised I was serious.
I had to prepare 2 months of marketing campaigns for others to drip feed out.
2 months worth of lots of other stuff.

I was determined to be 'unplugged'.

The only person at work who had my schedule and Spanish phone number was my Assistant.

After 2 weeks I got worried that I hadn't heard a thing...........nothing.

So I rang Jaris my Assistant.

The response was very abrupt.

What are you calling me for?
Get back to your camino!
If there's a life or death emergency, I'll call you!

I think that phone call also taught me a huge lesson.

About priorities, work life balance, trusting others........

Now I don't worry about it.

I give 12 months warning to the team, and they start planning how to cover things while i'm away.

Of course I'm still nervous. (until I start walking)
But I have learned to trust them.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There was a pilgrim or two i was quite happy to lose. And many i was sad i did not meet another time.

In regards to items: only thing i "lost" was my soap bottle. Not that a big deal.
Some things i sent home, some things i changed out on the way. Most notably my Merino briefs for some cheap synthetic ones that itch a whole lot less.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This made me think of one my fellow pilgrims.... We arrived in Santiago, she was told she couldn’t bring her rucksack into the Cathedral so she left it on the steps! ‘Anybody is welcome to it!’
Joke apart, I am boring, didn’t want to lose anything on the Camino as I carried the absolute minimum. I did ‘lose’ my towel and my sleeping bag liner one year.... Obviously someone else needed them more than me 😳 I had to buy a new towel but managed without the liner.
Hopefully it wasn't a big fluffy towel.😉

The thread from Arn had me thinking about stuff I brought on the Camino that I used up and, in one case, lost. At the alburgue in Roncevalles, there is the table where you can see the extra clothes, footwear, huge sleeping bags, and other stuff pilgrims leave after that challenging stage of the Camino Frances. What were you happy to leave behind or even lose? What lightened your load, physically and/or metaphysically?

I had brought a light tan a ball cap from home to wear because I liked the material and it breathed well while keeping the sun off my head. But embroidered on the front of the hat was the logo of my place of work, which at that time was quite unpleasant. A couple of hours after leaving Orisson early in the a.m., I stopped for a quick break to adjust my pack and shed some layers. At my lunch stop a few hours later, I realized the hat was not on my head. Apparently I set it down during my pit stop on the French side of the mountains and in my haste to get on The Way, I left it behind. I felt bad about littering the Pyrenees with my clothing and not having that visor to keep the sun off my face. But in a poignant way it reminded me to let go of some of those emotions we sometimes carry from work to home and maybe, for a few of us, all the way to Spain.

5 kilograms body weight 👍

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

My dear wife had younger onset Alzheimer’s. My daughters gave me a huge gift of their time, offering to care for their Mom and told me to go on Camino. At least for the time I was on the Camino, I was able to “lose” my cares and worries as a caregiver and renew myself so that I could come home and “walk” the rest of the Alzheimer’s journey with her -and that made all the difference.

As I planned to walk my first Camino in 2016 I became consumed with fear and uncertainty. What if I had a heart attach while crossing the Pyrenees? I invited my daughter to walk with me. She is a Wilderness First Responder and fluent in Spanish - the perfect traveling companion. Indeed her skills came into play the very first day crossing the mountains to help save another pilgrim.

Her boss had given her enough time off work to walk with me as far as Burgos. The morning she left I walked with her to the taxi that would take her to the train station. As I said good by and turned to start walking alone, I could physically feel the weight of fear lift from my head and over the next 500k be replaced by weightless confidence and determination.

Not happy to lose: My practically new godiva-scented Lush shampoo bar. I left it in a shower stall soap dish. I’m sure I smelled it a couple weeks later in another shower, so imagined someone found it.

Happy to lose: body weight

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My second pair of "evening" shoes/sandals. They slid under the bed in the albergue and as I hurried to get out in the morning I missed them. Fortunately there were plenty of options to replace them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lost my yellow-blue all purpose gaiter somewhere on the Primitivo May 2019 right after that bar at the top of the hill when you cross from Asturias to Galicia. My Peregrina buddy from St. Petersburg, Russia sporting same one on her backpack at Monte de Gozo. In the long Pilgrim line I said to Tanya, what are the odds, I had one just like it. Lo & behold she found it on the road! It was mine. The Camino takes & gives.

Attachments

• 21ABB3A4-FC3B-4716-9823-69D13C3331F3.jpeg
    21ABB3A4-FC3B-4716-9823-69D13C3331F3.jpeg
    946.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1627C54A-AD99-48E1-84A7-CB886F7A1E54.jpeg
    1627C54A-AD99-48E1-84A7-CB886F7A1E54.jpeg
    915.1 KB · Views: 45
Lost my yellow-blue all purpose gaiter somewhere on the Primitivo May 2019 right after that bar at the top of the hill when you cross from Asturias to Galicia. My Peregrina buddy from St. Petersburg, Russia sporting same one on her backpack at Monte de Gozo. In the long Pilgrim line I said to Tanya, what are the odds, I had one just like it. Lo & behold she found it on the road! It was mine. The Camino takes & gives.

Attachments

• 666C7E14-F62C-4B59-B7E3-E6ABDEA81203.jpeg
    666C7E14-F62C-4B59-B7E3-E6ABDEA81203.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Breakfast
2nd Breakfast
Menu del Dia Lunch
Pilgrim Dinner.......

Hopefully a much more remote Camino next time will keep my snout 'out of the trough' a bit more. :rolleyes:

Me neither - I eat a whole lot more than I normally would - justifying it by saying I need the calorific intake to balance those burned.... but at the end of the day I don't seem to see much burning.

Anxiety.

Travelling to our starting point of Roncesvalles, and on our first day's walk, we met several experienced pilgrims who had stressed that "the Camino will provide". At Viskarret we felt great and decided to carry on to Zubiri. Alas, we had over-estimated our stamina and by the time we arrived after a treacherously slippery descent (it had been raining) we were both exhausted. It was 4pm, and there was not a bed to be had. My friend, older and bolder than me, threw herself on the mercy of a pension owner, and asked for help. An hour later we had been kindly and efficiently taxied to a pension at Larrasoana. Where I discovered that I had left my pouch containing passport, credencial, credit card, phone and comb at Zubiri. After our first example of the Camino providing, I felt curiously calm and untroubled. And sure enough our pension owner was due to drive back to Zubiri to see someone, and picked up my pouch from the pension where I had left it.
After that I never worried about anything on the Camino, though I was a bit more careful about my possessions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's not that uncommon to lose volume without losing weight -- simply because muscle is heavier than flab.

(though on my 2000 to Rome I actually gained weight ; and that wasn't muscle, it was the amazing generosity of Italians making sure I was sufficiently well fed along my Way ; and well, the pure loveliness of the Italian cuisine)

--

But I have recalled something else I was happy to lose on the Camino, other than weight.

My 2014 from Lourdes required a massive training effort, after my second knee had given out 2-3 years earlier.

Not as badly as the first, but I had learned that if I was going to be doing any more hiking, it needed to be with a knee brace. Then I realised I needed a pair of them, to balance my walking stance.

Preparing & training took me over a year ; starting with some initial & rather painful exploratory walks 1K, 2K and so on. And well, plus one or two days of rest and recovery from even those.

But after a few months of perseverance despite pain I knew I'd recover from, 5K became normal, 10K good, and longer training hikes with recovery days after brought me to the realisation that the Camino instead of just being a fantasy of a lost Catholic hiking journey of yore, might actually be feasible as a project.

So my recovery project turned into a Camino training plan.

And it took me that entire year ; which without those knee braces would have been completely impossible.

So then I decide to start at Lourdes, as the ill will often go there seeking healing. (that I was given a huge hitch-hike on the way there by a bike pilgrim on his own way to start at Roncesvalles was lovely confirmation that I had made a good choice in my decision for another Camino)

And I stay at the amazing Albergue of Jean-Louis in Lourdes, two nights for the two pilgrimages, Lourdes and Compostela -- seeking healing, I of course go the Grotto and take my water, and pray for it ; maybe I should have asked for more, but well, just enough healing to get that Camino done.

So I set off.

And it's odd rather quickly -- I don't fully realise it at first, just put it down to adrenaline and first days of excitement, but I'm walking easier. Odd I think.

It takes me about a week or more, on the other side of the Somport, to think, hmmm -- why am I wearing these ?

And try a stretch of hiking without them.

---

I have never needed those knee braces for hiking since.

Last edited:

It just never stops.

On my 1st Camino I gave everyone 18 months notice that I would be gone, and offline for 2 months......

The only person at work who had my schedule and Spanish phone number was my Assistant.

Get back to your camino!

I give 12 months warning to the team, and they start planning how to cover things while i'm away.

@Robo, it seems you are on the Forum more than ever as of late...it had me wondering if you had retired or were working from home doing zoom meetings.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am allergic to wool, even merino, and cannot imagine the itchiness of wearing wool undies.😳
Merino works just fine for me usually. Had it before for shirts and stuff and thought, well, it will work for undies aswell. Maybe a thinner fabric would have been better, but then, i already bought the lightest i could find.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, that's a bit sad -- not so much your privates (cotton), but for the woollen socks that can help greatly against the blisters.
I wear Wigwam and Darn Tough hiking socks with good results...no blisters! Plus I rarely have stinky feet, so no problem with foot odor either. I have said it before...I smell like a rose!🌹😉

On my way to Rome, one day before I started to make my way up the Alpes, I lost my guide book. I had about 1000 km to go. But I learned to just follow the Via Francigena signs and I was always able to find a place to sleep. It was liberating to not rely on a book.

Retired? I wish I could afford to :rolleyes:
Just working longer hours, so more time online.
Well, I'm glad your business is keeping you busy and not in a covid slump like many are. I meant no disrespect. Many of us on the forum are retired, so it seemed logical that you possibly joined that club, too.

I can recommend St Olav's Way in Norway to accomplish that aim!
I felt the healthiest of any walk, or indeed trip, I've ever done.
The trail largely & deliberately avoids conveniences 🤔, it often pfaffs about unnecessarily 😫 requiring additional energy & exertion, Norwegian breakfasts are amazing 🤗 & keep you going until the evening meal & finally...Norway is very expensive 😯 which actively discourages those little extras & treats! 😆
Not only will you be rewarded with a leaner (including your wallet) you, but the scenery is the stuff of postcards.
👣 🌏

Last edited:

€60,-
I would like to say I lost the habit of making assumptions about other people on the Camino.

I didn't.

However, at least now when I make them I get to remember how the Camino gave me so many lessons about how wrong assumptions can be. For instance, a woman walking ahead of me appeared to be miserable, and in bad pain. She stopped for coffee in a village and I asked if I could join her. It turned out she wasn't miserable at all. In fact she told me she welcomed her injury, "For the first time in my life I am learning to go slow, and loving it!"

In true Camino style, the table flipped and where I might have been feeling virtuous about seeing if she was okay it was me that benefitted from her strength and wise words that day.

On my via de la plata camino i carry a big golf umbrella to protect us from de hard sun because there is no shade on that camino....

The umbrella was so heavy that I left it in a room were we were sleeping one morning.

Watch a relief but the sun was still there cooking us all day long!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

It just never stops.

Get back to your camino!

My husband gave 12 months notice of our first camino as well. He also gave a 9, 6, 3 and 1 months heads up. His leave had been approved, all his staff knew he was out of touch unless there was an emergency. He returned to work after 30 days, his chief told him that he no idea that he was taking a month off, and could have no other leave for the rest of the year. He called home and asked what I thought about it. I told him since we had planned for him to retire in another year to go to the personnel office, get the paperwork started and come home. He retired 28 days later, (using up much of that accumulated leave), and we have never looked back. If we had not walked I don't know if I would have been able to be so decisive in the moment. I remember landing in Spain after 40 years of not being able to return and I was SO afraid that I would not get us to where we needed to be and be understood with my old college Spanish. What I had lost was the confidence I had years before, and with that first camino I had found it again, and am so thankful. PS- no one from my husband's office called, so like you he called and received the same response! :)

It pays me to read on a little bit before making assumptions. I read the first two words and started thinking, "this is a brave woman, admitting to happily losing her husband on The Way". 😁
No, I actually gained a husband! (Happily) 🤣 We are celebrating our 30th next month, but for many years for a variety of circumstances he had worked more than 100 miles from our farm where we raised our sons. For many years we had a place to go to near where he worked, but it was never "home". There was a lot of back and forth, so I was actually looking forward to his retirement, and the fact that it happened early was a relief to me. Now, fast forward six years- he is home all the time, I am never alone (despite trying), the house always seems to be a mess, but we are making up for all that time apart. I did have to re-read my post to understand yours- I will be more careful in the future! ☺️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wondering if u are still walking a camino or have one planned? I'm 68 did first camino at 57 and walked 6 over the following years and cycled 3055klms in 2019 on 5 caminos due to back problems and have more planned. Hoping to continue, God willing, as long as the opportunity is there. This summer in NZ walked 7 great walks and back cured now. Looking forward to La Plata someday soon.

In 2004 at 65 when I first began walking my height was 172 cm and weight 65 kilos. By the end of that camino and ever since my weight remains less than 61 kilos. Each time entering Santiago I physically felt remade; my bones might have been the same but they seemed re configured.

More important than any physical slimming down and tightening up was the psychological change. I have learned my limits as well as the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Compared with ten climbs up O Cebreiro daily trivialities in life now at 81 have less importance; what matters most is to keep on trying!

I can recommend St Olav's Way in Norway to accomplish that aim!
I felt the healthiest of any walk, or indeed trip, I've ever done.
The trail largely & deliberately avoids conveniences 🤔, it often pfaffs about unnecessarily 😫 requiring additional energy & exertion, Norwegian breakfasts are amazing 🤗 & keep you going until the evening meal & finally...Norway is very expensive 😯 which actively discourages those little extras & treats! 😆
Not only will you be rewarded with a leaner (including your wallet) you, but the scenery is the stuff of postcards.
👣 🌏
My Norwegian breakfast was thick bread, three large sardines and hard cheese. Easily 3,500 calories.
Perfect for trudging along the border with Russia.

As to a different Way to walk. St Magnus Way on Orkney, Scotland. It is open and follows Covid restrictions:distancing, gloves at gate crossings and keep groups limited ( all one family). Well worth the effort once you arrive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Norwegian breakfast was thick bread, three large sardines and hard cheese. Easily 3,500 calories.
Perfect for trudging along the border with Russia.
All the breakfasts I had in Norway were salads, deli meats, cheeses, rye/seed type breads or crackers, fresh fruit & yogurts...I could virtually feel the vitamins jumping about! I may have been a little bit oinky 🐷 but they kept me well-fuelled all day...no lunch needed. I've never felt better on a walk nor have I been able to match it food-wise since... 😄
👣 🌏

As to a different Way to walk. St Magnus Way on Orkney, Scotland. It is open and follows Covid restrictions:distancing, gloves at gate crossings and keep groups limited ( all one family). Well worth the effort once you arrive.
Thank you for this, @Arn !!! This may be it!

€149,-
Of all the things I have lost, I will miss my mind the most....kidding, sort of. I do carry a great fear of the probability of Alzheimer’s setting in, as I have seen it take my father, his younger brother and his mom.
The serious answer is a partial- in 2018, my wife and I went to do Camino Portugal, as we had so loved our CF in 2015. Our flight to Porto was difficult due to timings, and my pack never arrived. My wife had her bag, and I had a small travel bag that had my socks, and a spare tshirt. What was fun was I learned that even with my light pack plan, I never really missed my pack for the 5 full days it travelled without me. Made due with no real issue. Of course, I was happy to get it back, but there was another lesson from the Camino in there.

As to a different Way to walk.
What did I lose on about my 4th or 5th or 6th Camino - even tho' I was working on it from the beginning? I think - I hope - maybe, my judgementalness... 🙏
I’m sure you have this wrong! How could anyone support your position! Obviously you don't have a clue about the Camino.
OOPS!!!
Sorry, did I sound judgemental?
Must have picked it up where you left it!😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@ Annie: I guess you meant weight, but Robo thought about money (30e = 30 €?)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Ofcourse, the weight...maybe 15 pounds, which found it's way back to me with some interest! And there were 2 books. One, was a thickish paperback I was reading. It lost all relevance to me, and I just left it at the albergue in Estella for someone to obtain after me. The other, quite by mistake, was the Brierley guide- left at Granon while having breakfast and a coffee outside. I can see it, right on the chair where I left it. Pictures work pretty well, though- So, I just took photos of the rest of the stages in a book that another pilgrim had,and eliminated them as I went.
By the time I walked the Primitivo, 2 years later, I had a smaller carry on size pack and got the weight down to about 18 pounds. So, we're making progress and I never stop tinkering with the mix.
I think THAT is my favorite part.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fear of failure and self doubt... and 8 kgs of weight 😁

My first Camino was simply an adventure after cancer... kind of proving to myself that I was fit and well and ready to fully embrace life. What I never expected or considered was that it could be the start of a kind of healing from the shackles that hold us all down.

The space that you discover whilst walking, that allows you to roll back years of fear and doubt is precious. The time we spend walking and talking with others, learning from their lives and their experiences is also precious. The time we have to simply revel in the glory and wonder of our beautiful world is precious too. Dealing with obstacles and difficulties each day builds confidence and little by little the places in our mind where doubt and fear linger are replaced with courage and joy and a sense of calm.

Does that all sound crazy? I think this is what I miss the most from walking the Camino.

So yep... fear and self doubt. I’m not fully healed yet so I definitely need to go back and learn some more. Sometimes being a slow learner has its advantages 😏

€149,-

Breakfast
2nd Breakfast
Menu del Dia Lunch
Pilgrim Dinner.......

Hard to believe anyone can walk a Camino, imo, and not lose weight. I have lost 10-14lbs or 4-6kgs or a stone depending on how you measure. Most of it comes off in the first two weeks. After that, I believe my body adjusts to what I am doing and becomes more efficient. I drink beer, wine, Orujo and eat Ice cream every day. That said, I walk 30-40 km's a day. Losing weight is definitely an added bonus to walking a Camino.

Walking a more remote Camino will reduce your opportunities to snack in Restaurants/bars but will increase your chances of adding carry weight by bringing additional snacks.

Ultreya,
Joe

€149,-
I would like to say I lost the habit of making assumptions about other people on the Camino.
That never happens.

But one important thing to realise is that foot pilgrim comments about "tourigrinos", "busgrinos", "taxigrinos" etc are just jokes, and to never intend them as being personally hurtful towards the pilgrims in question.

Remember : it's visiting the Tomb of the Apostle Saint James that makes the Pilgrim ; not the mode of transport, even though that were on foot or by motor vehicle ...

Last edited:
Hard to believe anyone can walk a Camino, imo, and not lose weight. I have lost 10-14lbs or 4-6kgs or a stone depending on how you measure. Most of it comes off in the first two weeks. After that, I believe my body adjusts to what I am doing and becomes more efficient. I drink beer, wine, Orujo and eat Ice cream every day. That said, I walk 30-40 km's a day. Losing weight is definitely an added bonus to walking a Camino.

Walking a more remote Camino will reduce your opportunities to snack in Restaurants/bars but will increase your chances of adding carry weight by bringing additional snacks.

Ultreya,
Joe

I work hard at it Joe.
With so many meals to fit in, I can only average 22 kms / day.
It's called commitment :cool:

I work hard at it Joe.
With so many meals to fit in, I can only average 22 kms / day.
It's called commitment :cool:
Next Camino if you continue your intermittent fasting you shouldn't have a problem!

€46,-
Ha! I left my towel (had it for several decades and it was perfect for my needs) in a small town in Portugal at a fire station. They found it and were going to send it on to me but when I asked how much money to send them, they stopped speaking to me.... I comfort myself with the same quip that someone else must have needed it more than I.

Yeah weight lost on the CP 2019 was the best thing!!

Weight.
On my first Camino Frances in 2016, I lost 10 kg, which luckily I regained only partially during the months that followed.

Since then, I have walked the Frances another three times and the Portuguese + Ingles + Finisterre, and each time lost 5-6 kg which I regained within a year - and then came the next Camino.

Weight.
On my first Camino Frances in 2016, I lost 10 kg, which luckily I regained only partially during the months that followed.

Since then, I have walked the Frances another three times and the Portuguese + Ingles + Finisterre, and each time lost 5-6 kg which I regained within a year - and then came the next Camino.

I honestly don't know how you manage to lose weight walking the Camino Frances. :oops:

€60,-
The only item I lost was a favourite head wrap I used after a shower that went 'missing' from the clothesline in one of the albergues.....small loss to be sure, but disappointing.

We planned walking the Camino for a year, I bought several guide books, researched, dreamed, highlighted all the important things in the guide book etc. So after a year of planning the day came for us to fly to Madrid and start our Camino forgetting one thing on the kitchen table......Our guidebook!!! And you know what we did just fine!!!

Funny thing, that is exactly what happened to me. My towel was a yoga towel, 6' in length, and thicker then most. I missed that the most. Suffered a few cold nights without my sleeping bag liner, but managed to survived.

Funny thing, that is exactly what happened to me. My towel was a yoga towel, 6' in length, and thicker then most. I missed that the most. Suffered a few cold nights without my sleeping bag liner, but managed to survived.
Wow! Saddened to hear I wasn’t the only one. 🙁 My towel was just a small ‘camping’ one but I ’lost’ it in Roncesvalles so could only buy a new one in Pamplona...
Still, as you rightly say, we survived 🙂😉

I love this so much. You are a rockstar. My dream is to continue caminos and be you. Covid, be gone!!

Me and you both 😳
Haha ... well it if course depends on some factors...
- How long / far do you walk per day (steps)
- How much do you consume per day
- What was you weight and physical shape at the start (from skeleton to balloon)

I average about 35000 steps / 28 km per day, and burn about 3300 calories doing that. I have breakfast and Menu Pellegrino for dinner, usually just a bocadillo during the day, and a few beers and cafe con leches. Consume not more than 2300 calories per day.
So a deficit of 1000 calories per day over 35-40 days with a very regular lifestyle ... less to weight loss.

I lost two things on my first C.

First, in an albergue in Rabanal, I forgot the Swiss Army pocket knife that my late father had gifted to me. I lamented the loss for several days, and then walked to/up O'Cebreiro with a German pilgrim who donated his extra knife to me. It contained just a blade and none of the tools from my lost cutlery, but I treasure it still, both for its utility and for its demonstration of the adage "the Camino provides".

Second, I lost the reticence I felt about my faith. I prayed furtively and attended Mass sporadically before I started my walk, but during and after my first trek to Santiago I felt much stronger about my Christian faith. And maybe my lost-and-found experience was part of that faith journey.

My son's towel had disappeared from his bunk in Castrojerez where he had it hanging on the bunk frame at the end of the bed. Both he and I were annoyed that someone would "steal" it. We later found it hanging outside on the clothesline...the hospitalero had taken it and hung it out to dry! A nice gesture we had not anticipated. We immediately had assumed the worst without having the facts.

Last edited:
Masks. I had quite a few with me when I arrived in SJPP, but I lost a bunch of them on that first Camino. The Corporate Executive mask was the first to go.......it just dried out, crumbled, and blew away in the wind somewhere just after Logrono. I left the Salesman mask on the counter in the laundry room at an albergue in Carrion, and when I went back to get it, it was gone. I hope it fits the new owner better than it fit me. The Pretentious Know-It-All mask was badly damaged by the wind and rain on the meseta - so much so, it was useless and I had to throw it away, although a small piece is still stubbornly stuck to my chin and won't be dislodged. Before Leon, I realized I had to lighten my pack, and the gaitors as well as the very heavy Master And Commander mask were left on a give and take table, so I guess I didn't technically lose it. With a grin and a wink, a hospitalero in Hospital de Orbigo relieved my of my Curmudgeon mask, and expertly smashed it to little bits and pieces with his guitar without missing a note. I thank him for this bold and presumptive act of violence. Fortunately, the Loving Father and Doting Husband masks survived to Santiago unharmed, along with a few others that I perhaps wished I'd lost.

I lost track of 'Wolfgang'...a character from Germany that made me blush like a schoolgirl every time he walked by or sat next to me...it really was quite funny to witness 'chemistry' take over my senses. Alas, after a few days of conversations and good company, we were separated in Tricastilla ( sp? ) and I never found him again. That was the CF in 2015...I think of him often. It made me think differently in all camino walks in the years that followed...get the emails/contact info for those 'interesting characters' that touched you in any way... you crossed paths for a reason and might regret not knowing why. I lost Wolfgang.

*** oooops read the OP question wrong...Was NOT happy to lose Wolfgang at all
Perhaps lost my ability to read the OP questions correctly...lol

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Luckily, this never happened to me, but I met pilgrims whose entire luggage had been lost by the airline they travelled with. Some of them sat around until it turned up, some of them blew out their credit card in Decathlon, the really brave ones set off and tested the old saying 'the camino will provide'. Mainly, it did. Fellow pilgrims gave them stuff or they picked things from the left-behind box or they bought stuff as they went along. I left my Swiss Army penknife on the ground when we stopped for lunch once. It was a good knife so I hope somebody picked it up. They have excellent corkscrews.

Last edited:
I lost track of 'Wolfgang'...a character from Germany that made me blush like a schoolgirl every time he walked by or sat next to me...it really was quite funny to witness 'chemistry' take over my senses. Alas, after a few days of conversations and good company, we were separated in Tricastilla ( sp? ) and I never found him again. That was the CF in 2015...I think of him often. It made me think differently in all camino walks in the years that followed...get the emails/contact info for those 'interesting characters' that touched you in any way... you crossed paths for a reason and might regret not knowing why. I lost Wolfgang.

*** oooops read the OP question wrong...Was NOT happy to lose Wolfgang at all
Perhaps lost my ability to read the OP questions correctly...lol
No worries — that is still a great story! I lost track of quite a few pilgrims who I wish I’d kept up with. Best of luck in finding another Wolfgang!

The item I was happiest to lose, nay, throw away, was my poncho! One of my well-meaning sisters who had done quite a bit of outdoor treks, gave me her poncho for my Camino. When the fateful day of rain and wind came, yes I did struggle to get it on and over my pack, but after some serious calisthenics in what seemed like a wind tunnel, I succeeded! Only to be thoroughly drenched within minutes. It was worse than useless! So I e-mailed my loving sister and reported to her. "Oh", she replied back to me the next day, "Before I gave it to you I washed it in the washing machine." (i.e. soap; bleach; fabric softener, etc. that completely removed any hint of a water repellent feature!) At the next albergue it was discarded and a rain jacket and backpack cover replaced it, and restored my happiness. Moral of the story: When it comes to coping with a demanding trek, it is best to look a gift horse in the mouth!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Left behind a massage ball at the very first albergue on the VDLP...and regretted it the whole way. Then in the last few days 'lost' my Helinox walking poles. If they were accidentally taken, so be it. And otherwise I just hope the new owner needed them more than me. I now have an email address on my new poles :). And then there were the old socks and underwear that was meant to be discarded at the end and didn't quite make it...oh well. It is refreshing how little we need. Since that camino I have hardly bought new stuff!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back