• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who purchases travel medical insurance?

Would you please let me know why or why you don't purchase travel medical insurance? Do you think purchasing trip cancellation is important? Cheers - Adam

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would NEVER leave home without one

I've always considered myself slightly over insured, the last year iv'e used my private medical insurence for injuries sustained while training for last years camino, my household insurance because my apartment was broken into while I was in new york, my car insurance because some chick decided to total my car, my insurance for accidents because i was diagnosed with wiplash after...

I really hope not to use my travel insurance also (I have full yearly worldwide coverage) but have previously used it for falling ill in the airport in singapore (they wouldn't let me on the plane before i had seen the doctor) and when my suitcases were stolen in london...

I have quite a few more, unemployment, electronics etc, and even when paying a fortune every year I think by now i have my money back...

I always buy everything related to travelling on my mastercard as this way I am covered if the airline goes bankrupt (common occurance) etc (the only reason i have a credit card really...)

I think you get the point, Insurance, don't leave home without one

for more on the medical part look here
medical-issues-on-the-pilgrimage/

just for the record I'm not really neurotic... :roll:

Hi,

After spending 12 weeks in Canne on the film festival and not having any insurance and seeing a friend needing hospital treatment for an injured foot foot... I always vowed I'd never go abroad again without any insurance...
For what you pay for what it covers people would be mad to leave home without it..
I got mine through 24/7 GAP very go value for money.. I just hope I never have to use it... Give that peace of mind.

Been Camino

Bryan

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do.

I would not consider leaving home without it. I have seen the devastating effects of an uninsured emergency first hand. Personally my family has also had an out of country medical emergency but our story was far different because my parents DID have travel medical insurance. I don't think the risk is worth it. Travel medical insurance is usually quite affordable. If you can afford a trip out of the country you should be able to afford insurance. I don't consider it optional. I think I paid as little as $35 dollars last year for our 2 week summer vacation. I guess it depends on where you live and where you are going ...

Hi Adam

I rarely purchase trip cancellation since my Visa credit card covers this. But I always purchase emergency medical insurance if the trip exceeds 31 days (my visa credit card also cover emergency medical insurance for trips for up to 31 days)

Neville

these posts have convinced me to buy supplemental health insurance for my trek. Can someone suggest a reputable company? Other than googling the term and finding companies that way, I am clueless as to what I should be looking for and what are reasonable charges. Gracias, Cris

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
crisnelson said:
these posts have convinced me to buy supplemental health insurance for my trek. Can someone suggest a reputable company? Other than googling the term and finding companies that way, I am clueless as to what I should be looking for and what are reasonable charges. Gracias, Cris

Try your bank first, you might be surprised, mine did mine(& my partners), cost zero! :), & try your household company too.

The first time I left the US I purchased insurance for my year abroad - but only because my employer was paying half. I have not purchased it subsequently and I won't for my camino or my 3-months of post-camino travel. In fact, I've not had insurance for 7 years - three of which I've been traveling/living abroad full time. It's a personal choice and a risk evaluation you have to do for yourself. I've been uninsured at a few time in my life and only once did it bite me in the ass when I was in a rollerblading accident that cost me about $10k in medical bills.

You were bit once and it cost you $10,000 ? ... you can buy a LOT of insurance for that amount. Peace of mind ... priceless :)

I wonder if you'd feel the same if you get bit a second time for a similar cost. Some things are a false economy. Insurance is one of those things you hope you never need to use and in fact hope to end up wasting your money but boy oh boy are you glad you have it, if you need it. I just did a quick check of my local insurance provider and can get a month coverage with 10,000,000 worth of coverage for $50 for travel anywhere in the world ... they also have a more economical plan that would cover multiple trips. The quote came from my local BCAA (British Columbia Auto Association) which is a cousin to the AAA (American Automobile Association) I suspect they have a similar service ... but no idea if the rates would be comparable. You can usually get quick quotes online however if you want to check.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When i had that accident, in order to get insurance I'd have had to pay over $1k US/month. US insurance would cost me even more now, were I to get it. Travel insurance is, of course, different. The difference is, you're talking about insurance for going on vacation for a couple weeks/months. I don't take vacations, travel is just how I live. I am a permanent, full-time expat and traveler and I don't know a single person who lives my lifestyle (and I know many of them) who has insurance. In the last 3 years on the road I've spent less than $300 on medical expenses and $100 of that was because I was in a tourist area and needed urgent care on a Sunday for a piece of sand in my eye. As I said, it's a risk assessment and personal choice. Could it bite me on the ass again? Maybe. Will I deal with it if it does? Yep. Over the last 7 years I've saved over $60k USD by not purchasing insurance. I've paid out of pocket maybe $1.5k total for medical expenses. I think that's a pretty definitive CBA.

OK. Your case is different, but the OP is not living your lifestyle and was asking about travel insurance. I think not getting TRAVEL insurance when you travel is risky and considering the relatively low cost it really is worth it, if only for the peace of mind and hopefully that's all you get out of it cause if you need to actually USE it .... well that would suck but at least you'd have it.

As I said in my original post, even before I started living this lifestyle I didn't purchase travel insurance - except for my first trip. You feel comfortable paying for "peace of mind". I don't find it necessary. Again: personal choice and risk assessment. Most travel insurance policies wouldn't cover injuries from the activities I participate in that are most likely to injure me so for me it would be a waste of money. I'm just providing another opinion for the OP, not trying to convince him of anything. You don't have to agree with that opinion. I never told the OP not to get insurance because I'm sure the OP is an adult who will read everyone's opinions and make up his own mind based on his own personal comfort level.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Adam is like this, I can't afford to travel without some type of medical plan should something bad happen, so I buy insurance if you are from Europe I believe your insurance will cover you in any European country but I can't be sure about that, but if you live here in the US very few insurance companies covers you while you are overseas, and for so little money why put my family in that situation right? Just my two cents. ( My cost $372.00, $100.00 deductible and no preexisting condition restrictions, and primary payers) If you want to PM me I give you a web site you can check it out.

Zo

actually, europeans travelling in europe are not covered on all medical expenses, it ensures that you are covered under the same terms as the residents of the country you have travelled to (which means not always totally "free") and they will usually never be covered for mountain rescue & emergency transport back to the home country (be that dead or alive) unless they have insurance...

I purchase travel insurance, and ensure that it covers the range of activities and circumstances that I am likely to face. I no longer rely on the insurance offered by my credit card provider - the one time that I did, and missed a flight, I found that the terms and conditions finely worded so that it didn't cover all my costs, and was out of pocket several thousand dollars. I am much more careful now reading the product disclosure statements.

There are two main reasons that motivate me:
  • travel costs between Australia and Europe may have come down, but can still be expensive if you find yourself needing to get home and not having a lot of choice.
  • while I am generally fit and healthy, the prospect of paying for extended hospital treatment should I be injured or become ill does not enthrall me.

I must admit that I travelled around the world twice without insurance when I was (much) younger, but I probably still thought I was both immortal and invincible :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hi DesertRain,

can you share the company/website from which you bought your travel health insurance? I was told that AAA sells travel health insurance, but a recommendation would be nice. Thanks! Cris

Hello DesertRain: I would like to "second" Doug's comments. An insurance policy should cover both travel related issues such as trip delay, lost luggage, etc. and health related matters in the case of sickness or accident. With regard to AAA's travel/health policy, I would recommend that you find another carrier for this insurance. I booked my flight through AAA and the agent suggested another insurance carrier for more comprehensive coverage and higher limits. AAA's limits for accident and sickness are $10,000. My insurance policy's limits are $125,000 each. It even has a dental component to it. AAA's coverages for everything else travel/health are a fraction of what I am carrying. Another benefit is that in the event I need to use it for medical purposes, I pay "nothing" out of pocket. I give them the policy number only. The insurance carrier also has an office in Madrid. If I could see the future and know that I would not need insurance, I would be a millionaire for picking winning numbers on a lottery ticket. Insurance costs so little for a trip like this but is critical when somebody asks you to pay a bill for services rendered in a hospital (God forbid). With a policy in place "before" I leave, it is one thing less I have to concern myself with "after" the fact.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I realise that he is an earlier poster, just don't see the connections to the "lecture" after his name as he is neither in opposition or talking about AAA

*looks confused*

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can zzotte, DesertRain or jemitch65, share with us the name of company they use.
Buen camino

Hello All: I was actually referring to the individual who was referring to Desertrain which means I was actually directing my post to crisnelson. My apologies for the confusion. Pieces, I have no idea what you are talking about..."lecture, opposition or talking about AAA?" I was offering simple advice about travel insurance. This is the purpose of the forum isn't it? I know it has worked for me and if I can help someone along, I am happy for that too.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
miamijhp said:
Can zzotte, DesertRain or jemitch65, share with us the name of company they use.
Buen camino

The AAA representative that I met with recommended Assist-Card. You can get a quote online or call them directly. You should get a couple of quotes though to compare coverage, sublimits of that coverage and of course cost and choose the one that best meets your needs.

In Canada, I always buy my trip and health ins. through the Royal Bank....have only needed to use the trip delay once...for my daughter. The Royal policy kicked in, whereas the TD Visa, which is to have delay ins. would not. If relying on a Visa policy, I would read all of the fine print carefully. Depending on which Visa of course, the limits are quite low, restrictions are many.

miamijhp said:
Buen camino

Helo miamijhp, you can go to InsureMytrip.com and request a quote it will give you lots of choices check then out see which one fits your needs read the policy, call then and get all the info in one spot for me finding something which covered pre-existing condition and be a primary payer was important and not so much if they lost my luggage do you know what I mean? I got M.H. Ross Advantage Bridge but they have many others. PM me you if need more info ( I can be pretty lengthy) :D

Zo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are a EC citizen you can obtain an E111 card which will give you some cover as Pieces has already said.

However, you must make sure it is valid. I went to a walk in clinic this March only to find mine had expired. :oops: Three years ago. :oops: :oops:

The doctor who saw me didn't charge the 70€ he should have but it made me immediately phone home and get a replacement card ordered at once.

I have stents, insulin dependent diabetes, kidney and eye damage, some neuropothy in my feet, blood in my urine and take tablets to keep my blood pressure at a normal level.

My travel insurance is the single biggest cost in my Camino. This last trip it turned out to be one-third of the overall costs. However, it covered me for all pre-existing conditions and the peace of mind it gives me is worth every penny.

Twice i have required medical assistance on the Camino and neither time related to my pre-existent conditions.

Travel without medical insurance? I'd rather play Russian Roulette with 4 chambers loaded.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Travel without medical insurance? I'd rather play Russian Roulette with 4 chambers loaded." - hey, i liked this comparison! Do you like playing Russian Roulette?;)

Actually yes, sometimes travel insurance comes in handy. I always stay with my globelink covers, especially when travelling with my son. Risk is a good thing but not when you are responsible for somebody else's life, right?

English newspapers are saying that even EU citizens who are in Spain for more than a short time will need travel insurance to cover them for more than basic treatment.
Ivar, Johnnie and others living in Spain will probably be able to give good advice on the situation but I think that 'free' health care is not easily available now even for the Spanish people themselves.
Travel/health insurance is going to become more important not less in the future I expect. The right insurance will need research maybe, we found ours OK in the UK.

The new economic situation in Spain has lead to that treatment of foreigners that before was "free" is no longer free. Before, if a pilgrim from outside of Spain showed up at an emergency room, the nurses would just fix you up and get you out the door and ask for nothing. Of course this did not always happen, but I have heard many stories like this. I think they just did not want to do the paperwork.. not sure.

This has now stopped. You have insurance or you pay...

So I would suggest a travel insurance... (They are not that expensive either)

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Ivar for making the new situation clear

Based on discussions here, I decided I had just been tempting fate for the last 12 years and decided I should buy travel insurance this year. I used Medex, which is the company used by many people at my university. It was also highly recommended by one forum member, DesertRose, who had had to use the policy after an accident in Spain.
medical-issues-on-the-pilgrimage/topic7980.html

I returned without having needed it, thankfully, and then learned from this forum that Medex gets a LOT of complaints and negative reviews:
el-camino-frances/topic12867.html

So, I'm back to the drawing board. I guess that for next year I will start with this supposed list of "top" plans, unless anyone has other suggestions.
http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/reviews/

BTW, World Nomads gets a good review, http://www.travelinsurancereview.ca/can ... ce-review/, but unfortunately it only covers travelers up to age 60, which I passed several years ago. Oh well.

Buen camino, Laurie

Great thread, and most helpful!
Just secured my travel insurance on World Nomad with great ease.
$292.00 Standard Coverage for a couple for 7 weeks duration, just FYI.
Works for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I paid $75US for about 45 days of coverage by the plan offered by Iberia with Allianz. It provides what I want, but you need to read the fine print of any policy. For example:
You aren’t eligible for reimbursement under any coverage if:
. your common carrier tickets don’t show departure and return dates
. the departure and return dates on your enrollment or other form don’t represent when you
actually intended to travel
An open return would apparently void the coverage!

Other exclusions include activities such as skydiving. Illness and injury are covered with a $50 deductible. Trip interruption and cancellation are covered under many circumstances. Emergency evacuation is covered to $50,000, which is my primary concern.

They make money selling the coverage for $75, so the fine print will limit their exposure!

ivar said:
The new economic situation in Spain has lead to that treatment of foreigners that before was "free" is no longer free. So I would suggest a travel insurance... (They are not that expensive either)
Though we are EC citizens, we live in Central America, are both over 70 years old, which means that we MUST take out medical insurance (incl. accident insurance and repatriation in case of...) for travel outside the country. (Our local social security and health system does not contemplate treatment abroad). Because of our ages, adequate benefits in $$$ (or Euros) have a larger premium than for younger people.
It is important to define with your insurance consultant the adequate amounts of various risks (health, accident, death) which you should cover. It's better to feel safe than sorry (and cheaper) :lol: !

My thanks to poster who explained the clause in some policies that says they will"arrange for evacuation" or even arrange for medical treatment. I was not aware that this means they will will literally arrange it, but you have to pay for it. Nearly bout one of these useless policies- again thanks.

€60,-
Was lucky, my bank insured me :D
go without & you are mad, well sort of.......
personally I hate insurance, its wrong!, but sometimes you need to get out of trouble and you need to be able too not just hope someone will save you.

Abbeydore said:
Was lucky, my bank insured me :D
That is encouraging :) It basically means that they are scared to write off an asset from their balance sheet :lol: This thought alone should cheer you up :wink:

Atlas Traveler said:
Would you please let me know why or why you don't purchase travel medical insurance? Do you think purchasing trip cancellation is important? Cheers - Adam

I would never leave on a trip outside the US without it. For 23 days the cost was US$25 from Mondial and covers both medical and evac costs along with a few other perks for delays. I am traveling using miles so that if I need to cancel for medical reasons, I incur no fees for redeposit of the miles. Best money I spent for peace of mind. I am 61 and in reasonable health but I don't want to take any chances for less than a dinner out. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I paid 30$ for two months and I got it through American Airlines. I think that no matter who you buy your ticket from they offer it. A friend of mine is a nurse/EMT who spent years working as the guy who traveled to other countries to pick up folks who had the insurance. He is the one who told me NEVER to leave the country without it. Lets just say all that happened to an insured person is that they break a leg - that insurance will make sure they get a first class seat coming home. If it is worse than that they get a medical team and a jet.
Definitely worth it and definitely a very good investment.

And a heads up that there is increasing evidence that due to the financial crisis in the country the health service in Spain seems to be seriously tightening up on providing free health care to foreigners. This is the advice we are giving volunteers from the UK and Ireland coming to live and work in Santiago. Those from other countries can consult the advice given by their own governments:

Travel advice
Please look at the advice given by the British and Irish governments here:
http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8545#travel
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... ral-advice

Health care whilst working as a volunteer

European Health Insurance Card
You should have a current European Health Insurance Card. Please check that the card you have is valid. Further information here: https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do Please note that arrangements under form E111 have not been valid since 2006.
The European Health Insurance Card is not a substitute for Travel Insurance. It does not cover medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or non-urgent treatment.
Travel Insurance
You are strongly advised to take out appropriate Travel Insurance and to ensure that the company knows what you are going to be doing whilst working on the Amigos project. Both the British and Irish governments provide advice on Travel Insurance. Please follow the links above.

I think that all of the above applies equally to pilgrims.

& of course don't just buy medical insurance..........ask about everything & confess to everything upfront, what ailments you have already .......& what height you are allowed to go too! yes it's extra to go high!

My insurance book was near 1/2 inch thick, & yes asked everything, esp will I be brought back home, dead or alive...........I guess one should ask if will cover someone else to visit in hospital from abroad..........if you don't ask don't expect to be cover'd.........you pay for what cover you want.

I guess it makes one more responsible while away too!

Don't be put off.......my insurance was very painless

& no I did not need it! Thank god :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Be sure you understand the coverage that you get. We got trip cancellation with medical coverage through Travelocity. During our planned 20 day hiking trip, there was a leg injury that made further hiking impossible.

The trip cancellation policy would reimburse up to the cost of the original fare. Well, we had reserved when prices were low. Prices to go home immediately were about double the original, so even with the insurance reimbursement, it was more than $1000 additional to go home immediately. They said they would assist us in finding a booking home, but there was nothing about first class, as this was just a flat monetary reimbursement of the original fare.

backpack45scb said:
Be sure you understand the coverage that you get. We got trip cancellation with medical coverage through Travelocity.[...] even with the insurance reimbursement, it was more than $1000 additional to go home immediately.
Check the fine print!
Your policy should cover the company's arrangement and related payment for your return home, including the cost of an extended stay if there are no seats available on immediate flights (ex. during high season).

I've been using Seven Corners https://www.sevencorners.com/insuranceplans/. They have a wide variety of plans with different features and deductibles, and their prices are the best I've found - for the kind of travel I do (usually on the road six months at a time).

Another options for Americans who have a higher risk tolerance level, is membership with Hostelling International. The annual fee is $28, and it comes with a basic travel insurance policy. It covers you for the full year of the membership, regardless of how long any one trip is...but read carefully what it offers, as the coverage limits are low. Like I said, if you don't feel the need for full-blown coverage, just enough to cover the basics...

Nancy

€46,-
Trip/travel insurance is very affordable. I don't know why anyone wouldn't purchase some sort of policy.

I used Atlas Travel via HCC Medical Insurance Services (http://www.hccmis.com) for my trip to Belize last year. The policy was very easy to purchase and the customer service person I called to confirm coverage of sports activities was very knowledgeable and patient. I was going cave tubing, and scuba diving so I went through a list of things that could go wrong doing either to make sure I was covered. In the end for $35 for 3 weeks I was covered for everything from drunkenly falling out of a bar and breaking an arm, to getting bitten by a mosquito and contracting Dengue, to getting attacked by a shark (strangely I already have dive insurance via DAN that also covers shark attacks). The thing that made me most comfortable with my purchase was in the off chance that something horrible did happen to me. I had the option of evacuation to my home country, and they would also pay for a coach ticket for a family member to come to me if necessary.
I also used them when I moved to Italy for work 6 years ago and although I only used the insurance once for something minimal that would have cost €40 at the most I was much more comfortable knowing that if something happened I wouldn't go bankrupt.

The Atlas plan is good. Just make sure you speak to an actual person who can help explain the insurance benefits to you and how to file a claim. If you are not familiar with travel medical insurance or how to find a doctor while you are on your pilgrimage then I would recommend contacting Insurance For Trips http://www.insurancefortrips.com or HCC http://www.hccmis.co or Seven Corners at ww.sevencorners.com. Ask them for case studies and actual stories of people they have helped in Spain. If you are a US Citizen than you can check out different travel medical insurance companies on the Better Business Bureau website http://www.bbb.org. Have fun and be safe!!

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.