• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino expense compared to Summer.

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
Hey,

Just a quick question regarding expense for the Camino during the winter months. I am set to start the Camino the last day of October 2013 and was just wondering if people that have walked the Camino Frances in the Winter months if they spend more?

Such as are the Albergues more expensive because there are fewer open?

I have my outward flight booked and my train to SJPDP, not going to go ahead and book a home flight until I get a feel for the road.

I hear the average day can be from around 20-30 euros daily, does this still apply in Winter? I will be trying to stay in albergues all along the way.

Thanks guys

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I travelled from end October to mid December, SJPdP to Finisterre.

The albergues that were still open tended to be the government operated ones. They are cheaper than most of the private albergues. The government run albergues have no dishes almost forcing you to go out for meals.

You will need to use a dryer to dry clothes. Its too damp and there is not enough sun left after a day of walking to air dry clothing. Thats an additional expense.

It got too cold and wet to stop for a picnic lunch. Hot sandwich at a bar is an extra expense.

I was getting by comfortably on 30 -35 euros per day.

caminoforme86 said:
Hey,

Just a quick question regarding expense for the Camino during the winter months. I am set to start the Camino the last day of October 2013 and was just wondering if people that have walked the Camino Frances in the Winter months if they spend more?

Such as are the Albergues more expensive because there are fewer open? ....

I hear the average day can be from around 20-30 euros daily, does this still apply in Winter? I will be trying to stay in albergues all along the way.....

Hola caminoforme86!

I have always walked the CF in late autumn/winter. My daily costs for each past camino average 33 to 35 euros. I usually stay in inexpensive pilgrim albergues; only once in February 2006 a private albergue in Navarette, then the only albergue open, was there an extra nominal charge for heat. However heat and electricity are expensive in Spain so do be prepared to pay a supplement when asked.

Beside breakfast I generally eat one simple meal each day using the common Menu de Dia available throughout Spain; at 12€ this costs a bit more than a standard three course Peregrino Menu (Pilgrim Menu) for 8€ or 9€. but provides MUCH better quality and choice. Some hospitaleros provide delicious dinners; communal meals at Eunate, sadly now closed, and Granon have always been memorable feasts. Although marked donativo or pay what you wish, be sure to give generously so that others who are less fortunate can also eat.

In cold weather periodic bar stops throughout any walking day are necessary for a warm seat, coffee, hot chocolate or fresh orange juice and the loo. In Léon hot chocolate is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Served with freshly made crullers it is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for trekking! For another delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice. No champagne has ever tasted better!

In those albergues which offer kitchens many pilgrims for either dietary reasons and/or to cut costs prepare their own meals; except in emergencies I generally don't. Nevertheless I always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open! My basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Often these same ingredients serve as a predawn breakfast hours before any Spanish bar would dream of opening!

Happy budgeting and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sounds like good information coming for Oct - Dec from people who have walked in those months. We walked end of December to early Feb and found that almost all of the albergues were closed, so accommodation was about 34-40 euros a night for a very basic single room with ensuite in a small hotel. We ate lunch of a bread roll (boccadillo) with ham and cheese sitting on stone walls except when it was actually raining or snowing, cheaper and nicer. We always stopped for a coffee and cake mid-morning if we could find a cafe open, a few euros. Every night we ate out, about 9 euros each for a menu del dia. I washed clothes (socks etc)in our room every night first thing and put them on the heater to dry - important to do it immediately because the heaters go off a few hours later. Now and again we used a laundromat dryer. That was a few euros when we used a dryer, but it can mostly be avoided.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

Thanks for all your replies.

So the chances of the government albergues being open are high for November and mid December. That is reassuring, I thought I was going to be paying about 25 euro for a place just to sleep!

How often were you guys washing your clothes? So this would be something that was an average cost and not daily to wash and dry clothes? I have some light weight waterproof trousers that I used to wear over my trousers for dog walking and I would be wearing over some light weight walking trousers. I plan on only taking about 2 changes of clothes with me. I have yet to write out my packing list, all my winter clothes are at home in Scotland and I will have about 3 weeks to sort everything out before I go.

If you don't want to eat out everynight I am guessing there will be shops in many towns that you can buy things for making bread rolls and fillings?

thanks again

Hi, I always walk in merino wool, which is wicking, warm even when it's damp and importantly can be worn for days without needing a wash, it won't smell or get unpleasant. Two merino wool tops and maybe a pair of longjohns would give you much more flexibility in when you wash and dry your clothes and also save you money on washing machines and driers. We were three peregrinas who walked together in Galicia and always shared the machines and the expense, but some places can be pricey, 5 euros for a wash and dry.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Nidarosa how did you get on with drying your marino clothing? Can you put it in the dryer ok? I thought wool shrank... I'm walking in Feb in marino so I've yet to figure that bit out.

Good to know about factors effecting the cost differences!

Can you put it in the dryer ok?
I have a very small pair of socks made of a merino wool blend from using a dryer. I suggest air drying unless you know they will not shrink. Interestingly, they still stretch enough to be usable, but they almost look like baby socks when they are dry.

Good info here! I'm planning on walking in March and April, and I was a bit worried about albergues being closed. But if people in December/January can find beds, then I'm a bit more confident that we'll be ok in early Spring.

I'm budgeting 30 euros per day. But I hadn't really thought of the extra expenses of clothes dryers and hot drinks to warm up on cold days. After reading this thread, I think I'll bump my budget up to 35 euros a day - but hopefully I'll have some money left at the end of the camino!

I'm planning on bringing a technical t-shirt, merino wool base layers (2 long-sleeved shirts and one pair of long johns), a hooded fleece sweater, a pair of hiking trousers and a pair of lightweight running trousers. Other than that - toque, gloves, buff, windshirt. Either rainpants or gaiters (haven't decided yet), and I'm thinking that I'll probably pick up an altus in SJPP.

At first, I was a bit apprehensive about travelling in the shoulder season. But the more I think about it, the happier I am that we'll be walking in the cooler weather, with fewer crowds.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, yes, I did put my merino long sleeve tops into the dryer with no ill effects, but of course you should ask when you buy or look it up online and not take my word for it. Both tops are quite stretchy and not loose on me anyway, but I can't remember either of them shrinking, and both had been washed before I left. Neither I nor my fellow peregrinas had any cotton clothing, just wool and synthetics, so we never put the drier on the warmest setting. Just getting them nicely warm and then letting them air out overnight will help as well.

caminoforme86 said:
Thanks for all your replies.

So the chances of the government albergues being open are high for November and mid December. That is reassuring, I thought I was going to be paying about 25 euro for a place just to sleep!

How often were you guys washing your clothes? So this would be something that was an average cost and not daily to wash and dry clothes? I have some light weight waterproof trousers that I used to wear over my trousers for dog walking and I would be wearing over some light weight walking trousers. I plan on only taking about 2 changes of clothes with me. I have yet to write out my packing list, all my winter clothes are at home in Scotland and I will have about 3 weeks to sort everything out before I go.

If you don't want to eat out everynight I am guessing there will be shops in many towns that you can buy things for making bread rolls and fillings?

thanks again

I found shopping for food to sometimes be a challenge. Shops are open in the morning then close for siesta. Its hit or miss if they open again for more than an hour in the evening. Sundays and any holiday they are closed and often the evening before too. At Hornillos I walked on to Hontanas because there was no shop and no restaurant open. At O Cebrieros, Rabanal, and Eirexe; no store open. At Lorca the restaurant/bar closed at 5 . So no, you can't count on being able to get food so its a good idea to carry a days worth always.

brawblether

I received your PM but can't reply from my iPad :( I spent some time at 'the little fox house' with Paul :)

Whariwharangi - ooo thanks for the tip about the possibility of not much food options...hadn't even crossed my mind (gotta love the sharing of info, yay for the forums!)

ffp13 - We'll all have to meet for a Melbourne beer mid 2014 when everyone's back in town!

As I mentioned in a post above always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open! There is NO reason it should be open especially out of season!
For me each camino is not only a walk of personal thanksgiving, but also a test of my tenacity and endurance. To pass any test one needs to BE PREPARED.

Hence my food basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Of course I shared ; hot soup, a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys. Next morning after the tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy provisions and be truly prepared.

MM

GREAT advice MM :) You've made me determined to carry food, if not for my own benefit (which of course it would be) but for those less prepared and in need! Thanks for the incentive!

How I love chipping in to threads about cold-weather caminos - it is so different an experience to summer ones. So, my 5 cents worth: I know Sillydoll (a 5-star poster and many-times pilgrim) always carries a little electric gizmo that you put in your cup and it boils water for you - she swears by it, makes soup, coffee etc. I agree with the others that you should carry basic food for the day, but in the evening you can always find a place to eat. Chocolate is your friend and when you are walking a few hundred km, guilt free. Walking in Jan/Feb in Spain and Oct/Nov in Italy we wore merino (me) and high-tech synthetic (my husband). Two sets each, one for day, one for evening. Socks need washing every day, but when it is cold not the other things. We budgeted 60 euros a day for 2 people we were only able to stay in a handful of albergues (because they were all closed in Spain and don't really exist in the same way in Italy). If you would like our winter packing list, send me a pm and I'll get it to you.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

mspath said:
As I mentioned in a post above always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open! There is NO reason it should be open especially out of season!
For me each camino is not only a walk of personal thanksgiving, but also a test of my tenacity and endurance. To pass any test one needs to BE PREPARED.

Hence my food basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Of course I shared ; hot soup, a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys. Next morning after the tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy provisions and be truly prepared.

MM

Thank you for this!

Where do peregrinos get laundry detergent? I'm envisioning someone hiking with boxes of Tide and Oxiclean strapped to their pack. :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used an all purpose wash http://tinyurl.com/ks64nym. I never washed my clothes in the shower as some suggest doing but if you decided to this would be a good soap to use as you can just do all in one.

When I machine washed in albergues, the powder was always supplied.

I have two soap options, neither one available for me at home (US), but in Spain.

Cheap option: Lagarto soap. It's a big bar, very neutral, the soap bar dries very quickly, and it costs less than a euro for a bar that lasts a long time. I maybe went through two on my 42 day Levante, but I could have washed less. (Many imitations, hold out for the real thing).

More expensive option: Norit wash in a tube. Norit is a soap for handwashing, kind of like woolite in the US, and comes in a travel tube. Much more expensive and less longlasting but some may prefer it. This isn't always available in the smaller towns, which is what led me to Lagarto soap in the first place.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you really want to cut on the weight you can use any hair&body liquid soap for hand washing your clothes. In my experience they weren't really dirty like having stains etc., they were just sweaty and therefore smelly so the mentioned soap was quite enough to wash them.

You can buy single sachets of washing powder- I think the brand is Blanco. Enough for one load
Maggie Ramsay
"The ItalianCamino" (Amazon)

I'm planning on using one soap for everything - hair, body, clothes. I bought it from a local soap-maker who made me some unscented soap that works for everything.

Hello caminoforme. I will be starting at the same time. My name is jake. Hope to see you and hope you have a great camino.

Having read all of these comments I am now starting to worry I am only going to be finding myself sleeping in the private more expensive rooms rather than the traditional albergues?

I have a budget of about 1200 pounds. My flights are paid for so this is just for the Camino and flying home.

Hi, caminoforme86!

1200 pounds is nearly 1400 € which gives you pretty secure 28 days at 50€/day (as suggested before for winter). I haven't walked in winter, but I think that not really all albergues are closing for that time. You should do some thorough checking from albergue to albergue, from village to village and I'm sure that there will still be enough albergues opened to walk most of the stages within 20-30km/day. With maybe just a few "splurges" along the way.

Try search within list of the albergues on this site, but also check http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/ and http://www.gronze.com/.

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,
First of all, thank you all for taking the time to write about your experiences as they are critical for those like myself planning the ‘first camino’.
I’m intending to start my walk end of October/First week of November. I’m very much interested in the Camino Frances; my may concerns as follows:
a) Crowds: I’m seeking a peaceful / quite time and so would like to avoid ‘crowds’; of course, I would very much like to meet people/chat/dine with new friends but feel that walking along with 30+ people it’s not what I need at the moment.
b) Climate: from the information review it appears to be bearable.
Any comments on the above would be much appreciated.
Muchas Gracias.

Mariano,

Be assured that by late October/November the crowds of summer are generally past. When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

However you must BE PREPARED for varied weather. Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur. Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Be sure to also read this pertinent earlier Forum thread on November walking >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/november-camino.18747/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Margaret,

Thank you very much for the advice given + the links suggested (super useful information!).

If I end up going in Nov, based on your comments, I think I will feel very well doing the Camino Frances.

will keep you posted (and may ask you some more questions as my planning progresses).

Thank you.
Mariano

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good info here! I'm planning on walking in March and April, and I was a bit worried about albergues being closed. But if people in December/January can find beds, then I'm a bit more confident that we'll be ok in early Spring.

I'm budgeting 30 euros per day. But I hadn't really thought of the extra expenses of clothes dryers and hot drinks to warm up on cold days. After reading this thread, I think I'll bump my budget up to 35 euros a day - but hopefully I'll have some money left at the end of the camino!

I'm planning on bringing a technical t-shirt, merino wool base layers (2 long-sleeved shirts and one pair of long johns), a hooded fleece sweater, a pair of hiking trousers and a pair of lightweight running trousers. Other than that - toque, gloves, buff, windshirt. Either rainpants or gaiters (haven't decided yet), and I'm thinking that I'll probably pick up an altus in SJPP.

At first, I was a bit apprehensive about travelling in the shoulder season. But the more I think about it, the happier I am that we'll be walking in the cooler weather, with fewer crowds.

Hi

I will be walking March/April 2014 from SJPdP as well. Your packing lists suggests its going to be quite cold and that I shouldn't compare it with warm sunny South AFrican springtime!

Like you, I'm happy to hear there will be fewer people at this time of year.

Perhaps we will come across each other along The Way.

My packing list for my up coming camino includes merino (macpac) or icebreaker (also merino). I am taking a polar fleece jacket though instead of an outer layer merino, because I found that lighter AND warmer than the merino option. I am told that one should be able to go for weeks without washing merino clothes - we shall see! By the way I am also taking a macpac down jacket too. Janet.

Hi

I will be walking March/April 2014 from SJPdP as well. Your packing lists suggests its going to be quite cold and that I shouldn't compare it with warm sunny South AFrican springtime!

Like you, I'm happy to hear there will be fewer people at this time of year.

Perhaps we will come across each other along The Way.
I don't know that it's going to be cold! But - despite being Canadian - I really feel the cold. I know that last year in March they had a lot of snow in Northern Spain, so I prefer to be over prepared. Right now the challenge is to be over prepared for cold without going overboard with weight! ;)

I hope that we run into each other! I'll be walking with my Dad. We don't have a firm date yet, except that we're going to start somewhere between March 12th and 16th - depending on when we can get the cheapest flight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My packing list for my up coming camino includes merino (macpac) or icebreaker (also merino). I am taking a polar fleece jacket though instead of an outer layer merino, because I found that lighter AND warmer than the merino option. I am told that one should be able to go for weeks without washing merino clothes - we shall see! By the way I am also taking a macpac down jacket too. Janet.
I'm planning on the same layers as you - merino wool base layers with a fleece mid layer. I also have a wind shirt (very light windbreaker) for cold dry days. I'm debating as to whether or not I'll bring my down jacket. It weighs only 215 grams, and adds a ton of warmth. It won't be useful for hiking, but I thought it might come in handy in the evenings.

It won't be useful for hiking, but I thought it might come in handy in the evenings.

That is exactly why I am taking mine Stellere. I figure too, that if, for whatever reason, my sleeping bag is cold I can even resort to sleeping in it!

Like Margaret, I am a cold season walker, though I am on the winter/spring side, since I grow a species of bamboo which needs attention in the southern hemisphere spring.

Because I prefer private accommodation (love pilgs, hate their snoring) the off-season is certainly cheaper. A little negotiating each day has me with my own room at not much cost. So there's some good news. The downside is that things are more likely to be closed. However, if an albergue is open, it will be less crowded and the host will often be glad of the business or company, and you are unlikely to be displacing anyone else.

And I do agree about layers. I have a slogan which is yet to catch on, but which I repeat at every opportunity: "If it's not a layer, it's an at-home stayer." (I can't imagine why such a cleverly turned phrase hasn't gone completely viral, but there you are.)

Buen camino to all you cold weather walkers

Rob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Merino wool is amazing. You can wear it for many days and no sweaty smell. Highly recommend. On hikes you can wear it for several days if necessary.

I've worn it this product for years. (not the same item) LOL

Summer and winter.

(but I do bathe at least once a day) :)

[quote (but I do bathe at least once a day) :)[/quote]

Very encouraging news for those of us who may bump into you....lol

I am looking to start in Feb and end in March. What are the average temperatures in northern Spain at that time of year? I can deal with snow but I don't want to walk in -30.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.