• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chinese shops???

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are asking for directions to one it is often referred to by the Spanish as El Chino. Names on a map will often be something like Asian Bazaar or Oriental Bazaar, etc. Honestly, they have everything, but the trick may be finding it in the store and you may need to enlist the clerk in your search...Some stores go on forever.

They do have almost everything, and Iā€™ve gotten things like cheap sunglasses, pillow cases, bubble wrap, bandanas, etc etc. One thing I would never get there is anything having to do with charging equipment for a phone.

I have been told by many Spaniards that though the stuff sold in these shops all has the symbol showing that it complies with international standards (something like Cā‚¬), that is often just a fradulent stamp, and the quality is low. I was also told this by someone who had their charging cables ruined by a cheap charger ā€” Iā€™m not exactly sure how that happened, but I have decided itā€™s not worth the risk, and Iā€™ve bought some Spanish chargers in reputable stores. You can also get good ones for Spanish outlets in the US, and I think they are definitely worth the small investment.

Do not buy plug-in electronics from these shops.. chargers, adaptors, extension cables, plug timers. They're fire hazards.
I don't know. I've bought iPhone adapters every year since the beginning of time and never had an issue. I've never heard of anyone starting a fire on the Camino with one, either.
Have you?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know. I've bought iPhone adapters every year since the beginning of time and never had an issue. I've never heard of anyone starting a fire on the Camino with one, either.
Have you?
I have heard from someone whose charging cord was destroyed by one, but I donā€™t understand how that happened.

I should be clear that Iā€™m talking about more than just the adaptor plug, I am talking about the actual charger that comes with Spanish prongs.

I have bought several adaptor plugs in a tienda de chinos, and they were functional but did not have a very tight fit to connect the US plug to the Spanish plug, if that makes sense.

I have heard from someone whose charging cord was destroyed by one, but I donā€™t understand how that happened.

I should be clear that Iā€™m talking about more than just the adaptor plug, I am talking about the actual charger that comes with Spanish prongs.

I have bought several adaptor plugs in a tienda de chinos, and they were functional but did not have a very tight fit to connect the US plug to the Spanish plug, if that makes sense.
I'm always leaving those danged adapter plug things in the wall - so I usually carry at least 2;
and I never walk away from my charging phone so I just don't worry about it.
I've never bought an actual charger - I just bring mine from home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I'm always leaving those danged adapter plug things in the wall - so I usually carry at least 2;
and I never walk away from my charging phone so I just don't worry about it.
I've never bought an actual charger - I just bring mine from home.
Well, Annie, just a suggestion - you can order European chargers from the US. Then you donā€™t have to worry about plugs! What I decided to do was to splurge on a charger with more wattage, this one has 45 watts, which is a lot more than the standard ones. (But check to see what kind of connection it has to the phone, because this has changed on newer models) This makes for much faster charging, which may not be a big deal at home, but in albergues and when youā€™re on the go, I find it a real convenience.

Electric adapters for chargers are little more than electric cords.

I have heard from someone whose charging cord was destroyed by [a charger], but I donā€™t understand how that happened.

Chargers on the other hand are electronic and better meet certain standards. Apple's very expensive cords have a lot of electronics hidden within them. Within two minutes this video shows you what the cables look like inside. Then it explains why it needs everything. Then it shows progressively cheaper cables. Nerds may want to watch the whole thing (I did a few months ago). Non-nerds don't have to go beyond the two minutes I mentioned (or maybe even them saying the cord has more electronics than the Apollo moon landing navigational computers).

Oh, remember, these cables transmit data in addition to power.

Last edited:
Chargers on the other hand are electronic and better meet certain standards.
Rick, I think that the charging cables of newer iphones are different than the old ones, is that right? Anything 12 or newer requires a different kind of charging cord, I think. And I think they are also changing the end of the cord that plugs into the charger itself. Or am I mixing/messing things up here? All I know is that I have not been able to use some charging cords on a new iphone, and I had no idea what was going on.

Rick, I think that the charging cables of newer iphones are different than the old ones, is that right? Anything 12 or newer requires a different kind of charging cord, I think.iPhone 15
iPhone 15 and newer uses a USB C instead of a Lightning cord, which is the new standard, and the same cord that many Android phones use. Many USB C cords are the same on both ends. The story of how it was developed is interesting - a lot goes into that cord! This podcast tells the history:

Have you?

You're correct, I've never heard of anyone starting a fire on the Camino with a low-quality/dangerous phone charger. Do you want to be the first?

Have a look at this:

Plenty of people get a warning. Eg phone charger makes a loud noise while charging, gets hot, starts smoking, trips a switch, stops working, maybe phone displays an error message.. they're all faulty. But are they just low quality, or are they actually dangerous?

Have a look at these recent stories:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm pretty confident I'll be ok.
But thanks :)

Last edited:
You're correct, I've never heard of anyone starting a fire on the Camino with a low-quality/dangerous phone charger. Do you want to be the first?
I think Annie has been pretty clear that she buys her adaptor plug and not her charger in the tienda de chinos. The adaptor plug has no volts, no watts, no chips, nothing but a bunch of metal to take two narrow slatted plugs and turn them into little round plug that will fit into the Spanish socket. Someone may know a lot more than I do, and please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I donā€™t think there is a danger from cheap adaptor plugs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think Annie has been pretty clear that she buys her adaptor plug and not her charger in the tienda de chinos. The adaptor plug has no volts, no watts, no chips, nothing but a bunch of metal to take two narrow slatted plugs and turn them into little round plug that will fit into the Spanish socket. Someone may know a lot more than I do, and please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I donā€™t think there is a danger from cheap adaptor plugs.
Thank you!
In addition, I never leave my phone plugged in unless I'm there.
I feel after 72 years I have a handle on it. ;)

Rick, I think that the charging cables of newer iphones are different than the old ones, is that right? Anything 12 or newer requires a different kind of charging cord, I think. And I think they are also changing the end of the cord that plugs into the charger itself. Or am I mixing/messing things up here? All I know is that I have not been able to use some charging cords on a new iphone, and I had no idea what was going on.
Lighting cables were for Apple products only (Apple gets more cash but also better quality control from suppliers). The EU was getting concerned about waste products so enforced an older regulation standardizing chargers and cables (i.e., why buy two sets of cables if your desktop used USB and your phone used Lighting). USB-C was their pick over Lighting.

Let me add, I'm not the guy for the best Apple or Microsoft information. The last Apple product I used (other than taking portraits with the poser's phone) was around 1990. I don't have a problem with Apple, I just haven't used it. And I've avoided Microsoft as much as I can. Microsoft business practices ... well, that's the best I can say. I'm a UNIX and Linux user by inclination and career and both have led into tech topics I'm better at.

Thank you!

Ok well, PSA over.

Those adaptors aren't completely risk-free but probably at the lower end of fire hazards/electric shock.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pretty much true. The manufacturers can still take some short cuts but the cost savings really aren't much or the safety issues aren't that bad. Maybe the prongs don't have an insulative coating part way down but neither do North American plugs that get plugged into the female end.

Huge shops in most Spanish towns which sell a wide range of cheap hardware, cosmetics, clothes, electrical goods and other stuff. Mostly imported from China and the shops themselves are largely run by Chinese people and often have Chinese names.
Is there one in Sarria? It would be nice if I can buy a cheap hiking pole there and just throw it away or give it to someone at the end of the walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is there one in Sarria? It would be nice if I can buy a cheap hiking pole there and just throw it away or give it to someone at the end of the walk.
A search for "bazar chino" or simply "bazar" in Google maps shows numerous such places in SarrĆ­a.

Several.

And, helpfully for those still concerned, if you look hard enough youā€™ll find they also sell fire-extinguishers.

I've bought knives, spoons, bowls, plates, socks, underwear, tee-shirts, walking sticks, hair dryer, bungie cords, plug adapters, towels, scarves, umbrellas, Croc knock-offs, flip flops, and just about anything else a person might need at China Bazaars in Spain. I love those places!
I did not know that they have walking sticks. I assume that these are the retractable kind and not the wooden cane type? How much did you pay for a pair? Thanks for the info.

Better yet, go to the Pilgrim House, where they have a large bin of poles, and pick one or two out for free. You can return them after you finish your walk. (Indeed, if you are flying into Sarria, I'm told that at the departures area there is similarly a bin of poles from people who learned a bit too late that they aren't allowed in carry on luggage).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Love the Chinese shops, in Albox where we lived in the South, we had 3 around the town and local pueblos, Arboleas, la prada. For the most part the families that own and run these shops are a happy bunch, but we came across one last year on the way, he was a card, he chatted everybody up, everybody left with more than they came in for...! it was a sight to see.

They are an essential part of Spanish life these stores, they really are... oh, we called them 'Todo' shops, meaning everything shops...todos tiendas.... bit of Andalusian slang for ya...

I did not know that they have walking sticks. I assume that these are the retractable kind and not the wooden cane type? How much did you pay for a pair? Thanks for the info.
They are not wooden cane type. I've bought a pair that breaks down into 3ds and one that breaks down in half. I don't remember what I paid... but under ā‚¬20.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Yes, and itā€™s just opposite a hiking store. I needed new batteries for my headlamp and the hiking store directed me across the street to ā€œel chinoā€.

iPhone 15 and newer uses a USB C instead of a Lightning cord, which is the new standard, and the same cord that many Android phones use. Many USB C cords are the same on both ends. The story of how it was developed is interesting - a lot goes into that cord! This podcast tells the history:

Only those sold in EU countries, where it was mandated. In the rest of the world all iPhones still use the Lightening connector, but that is expected to change to USB-C eventually.

Bob, there is a pilgrim shop at the base of the steep stairway that you climb to get up onto the main street in Sarria. It has everything, including poles and ALTUS ponchos and anything a pilgrim might need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They do have almost everything, and Iā€™ve gotten things like cheap sunglasses, pillow cases, bubble wrap, bandanas, etc etc. One thing I would never get there is anything having to do with charging equipment for a phone.

I have been told by many Spaniards that though the stuff sold in these shops all has the symbol showing that it complies with international standards (something like Cā‚¬), that is often just a fradulent stamp, and the quality is low. I was also told this by someone who had their charging cables ruined by a cheap charger ā€” Iā€™m not exactly sure how that happened, but I have decided itā€™s not worth the risk, and Iā€™ve bought some Spanish chargers in reputable stores. You can also get good ones for Spanish outlets in the US, and I think they are definitely worth the small investment.
I have been told many times that buying cheap charges is a recipe for disaster.

Do not buy plug-in electronics from these shops.. chargers, adaptors, extension cables, plug timers. They're fire hazards.
Forget foreign chargers. I liked using this travel adapter in Europe in multiple countries, plugging my USA cables and devices in. Bought before I left home. This is not a converter. I brought only devices with dual voltage, 120v/240+v.
The item description doesnā€™t say fast charge, but my iPhone 14 pro, Apple watch, and iPad charged like at home. Note that to charge my iPad and Apple watch simultaneously, I used these nifty charging adapters, USB C female to USB A male.

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpeg
    IMG_1967.jpeg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Absolutely! i had one given to me that got so hot that it could barely be removed from the socket. With Spanish sockets not generally having an adjacent OFF switch they really are a hazard.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Only those sold in EU countries, where it was mandated. In the rest of the world all iPhones still use the Lightening connector, but that is expected to change to USB-C eventually.
It was the EU mandate that caused Apple to change to USB C, and it's standard for every iPhone 15.

Screenshot_20240306_092906_Firefox.jpg

It was the EU mandate that caused Apple to change to USB C, and it's standard for every iPhone 15.

View attachment 165672

Thanks Trecile. I stand corrected. Itā€™s the rest of the Apple lineup still on Lightening (AirPods, some iPads) that I was thinking of that are expected to change eventually.

The biggest Tienda China I ever ran across was in Santiago de Compostela itself! It's close to, but not in, the Casco Viejo -- its just past the Alameda Park and near the Plaza Roxa..... Had fun buying new post-Camino underwear there in June 2022 . (Underwear made in China, it goes without saying.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Better yet, go to the Pilgrim House, where they have a large bin of poles, and pick one or two out for free. You can return them after you finish your walk. (Indeed, if you are flying into Sarria, I'm told that at the departures area there is similarly a bin of poles from people who learned a bit too late that they aren't allowed in carry on luggage).
I like this idea. Where is the Pilgrim House in Sarria? Please pardon the newbie question. Are you aware of such a bin in the train/bus station?

I left my smartphone charging cord at an albergue and unfortunately didn't have a spare, or a plug converter which was on the charging cord I left. I went to one of the Chinese shops, or Bazaar Chino as this one was called and purchased two charging cords there. Not expensive and worked great for the remainder of my trip. They seemed to be of good quality, charged my phone just fine and never felt warm to the touch when I was using them.
I find the shops to be interesting and frequently stop at them when I get a chance and just kind of look around.

Some experiences I had, one time I left my poles on a Train, I found a Bazaar on street outside the station (Astorga) and found a pair of poles 5 euros! So happy. On Camino Norte 2 of us left our Chargers plugged in at the Albergue and bought 2/3 (just to be sure) in Chinese bazaar. David blew all the electrics at his Hotel (his phone was an Apple) but mine was OK! (Android) It did get hot though so I searched for a Better one in an Electrical shop in the next city. I have come across many that overheat. I am going to buy a Certified Plug for EU with a USB outlet for next Camino. I have an Good Charger/Adapter with multiple outlets but I want to reduce weight and bulk. I will also go to either Decathalon in Santander or El Chino in Leon to buy Walking poles, a plastic mug, knife etc.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
RĆŗa Nova, 19, 15705 Santiago de Compostela, A CoruƱa, Spain is the address.
No bin at the train or bus station.

Not batteries either

What is this Chinese shop I keep reading about?
Apart from the great explanations by others, there are also some few Chinese food and drinks shops, that can be quite handy on Sundays, Mondays, and holidays when most shops might be closed and there's no handy petrol station shop to fall back on.

Forget foreign chargers. I liked using this travel adapter in Europe in multiple countries, plugging my USA cables and devices in.
Really! The device you have linked to is made in China. Worse, it is not possible to tell from the listing whether it has any of the electrical safety certifications required for sale in Europe or elsewhere.

ā‚¬46,-
I've bought knives, spoons, bowls, plates, socks, underwear, tee-shirts, walking sticks, hair dryer, bungie cords, plug adapters, towels, scarves, umbrellas, Croc knock-offs, flip flops, and just about anything else a person might need at China Bazaars in Spain. I love those places!
Agreed they are life savers, especially for once off DIY jobs, and most are open 7 days a week. If your interested in quality go somewhere else šŸ˜‹
Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Yes, they have retractable walking poles. Sorry, I can't remember the price but being a China shop it'll be more than reasonable...

Arrived in ArƩvalo today. Checked into supermarcados. For the second time in the past week, the Coviran grocery was actually a Chino with Coviran branding. Hadn't seen this before. For what it's worth, I was in the Peace Corps in PanamƔ from 2014-2016. Every tiny town in the Panamanian countryside has a Chino. I was surprised that they exist in Spain and are refered to in the same way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you?
I second Annieā€™s good fortune. I never saw a Mac store but cords and adapters Iā€™ve bought have worked well.
If you have an upper bunk and damaged feet they sell ā€œpool noodles and zip tiesā€ to pad the ladder.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, they have retractable walking poles. Sorry, I can't remember the price but being a China shop it'll be more than reasonable...
I lost a good set of Leki poles on the MozƔrabe last year. The next town had a Chino. I paid about 6 euros per retractable pole. They got me to MƩrida. When I had the chance, I bought a better pair at a Decathlon and donated the Chino poles to an alberque.

Theyā€™re like the Dollar Stores in the US. All independent and found in medium to large towns/cities.
The difference is the attitude about the stores. There's little question that there's a certain amount of derision in referring to these stores as "chinos". It is not a term of respect, nor are the proprietors always treated respectfully.

The difference is the attitude about the stores. There's little question that there's a certain amount of derision in referring to these stores as "chinos". It is not a term of respect, nor are the proprietors always treated respectfully.
While I agree in principle, If I ask someone on the street in Spain if there is an Asian Market in the area they might look puzzled. If I ask if there is a chino nearby, they will direct me to the nearest store. We have had a discussion on the forum about the disrespectful name "chino" before (like maybe last year?) And we've also had a discussion about the meaning and possible shockingly disrespectful sounding "fanny pack". Language means different things in different countries.

Several years ago I noticed forum members would sometimes mention "China shops". I had no idea what they were, but someone explained and now I happen to see them often. I have since then purchased a hiking pole and a waist bag. I only think of "chinos" as a name for casual men's pants.

I second Annieā€™s good fortune. I never saw a Mac store but cords and adapters Iā€™ve bought have worked well.
If you have an upper bunk and damaged feet they sell ā€œpool noodles and zip tiesā€ to pad the ladder.
What a great idea! Brings back memories of my first Camino in 2006 in the OLD Albergue at Roncesvalles. I almost SCREAMED when my feet hit those ladder rungs in the middle of night to go to the toilet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a great idea! Brings back memories of my first Camino in 2006 in the OLD Albergue at Roncesvalles. I almost SCREAMED when my feet hit those ladder rungs in the middle of night to go to the toilet.
I, too, think the pool noodles (cut to size") is a great idea, but who wants to make room in their back pack to carry four of them...not me.šŸ™„

Really? I've always found people to be respectful and as far as the name, many if not most are CALLED China Bazaar or some similar name with the word China in it. It's my understanding that "chino" means "Chinese." So I guess I'm a little confused at your comment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Huge shops in most Spanish towns which sell a wide range of cheap hardware, cosmetics, clothes, electrical goods and other stuff. Mostly imported from China and the shops themselves are largely run by Chinese people and often have Chinese names.
And sometimes they are tiny shops that have an incredible variety of things packed into them. There is almost nothing you might need that they don't sell. I found the most perfect long, narrow duffle bag I used for shipping my poles home. I also bought hand towels to wrap my poles in (with Betty Boop pictured on them). If you need safety pins ("imperdible" in Spanish, btw), you might find them above the bags of gardening soil and kitchen fans, below the rubber fishing worms and bicycle tire tubes and alongside the lipstick and fish aquariums. I didn't see many Chinese people in Spain except running these shops. Here is a sign I saw outside a China Shop: I loved how this Chinese shopkeeper is reaching out to his Spanish community.

Attachments

• china shop sign.jpg
    china shop sign.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 38
And sometimes they are tiny shops that have an incredible variety of things packed into them.
This is so true, Jill. Last year I went to one for hiking poles when Decathlon had run out of their inexpensive light weight ones I usually purchase when I arrive in Spain. The sales person pointed to "somewhere" in the back of the store as they were ringing up.another customer. My son and I went "up, down, and all around" the fairly large store twice, looking for the poles; no rhyme nor reason for how anything was "organized". We were about ready to give up when we found them standing in a tall box in a corner; two mismatched poles and one wooden staff for ā‚¬8 each. We bought one pole (it's all I use) and the staff...mission accomplished!

Thank you!
Iā€™ve heard of a number of fires triggered by phones on charge but it has always been due to the lithium batteries in the phones overcharging and overheating, never the cords or chargers. A few months back, people in a house a few blocks away went on their early morning walk leaving a mobile phone on charge on their bed. When they returned their house had burnt down.

De
Colores

Bogong

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last edited:
This is so true, Jill. Last year I went to one for hiking poles when Decathlon had run out of their inexpensive light weight ones I usually purchase when I arrive in Spain. The sales person pointed to "somewhere" in the back of the store as they were ringing up.another customer. My son and I went "up, down, and all around" the fairly large store twice, looking for the poles; no rhyme nor reason for how anything was "organized". We were about ready to give up when we found them standing in a tall box in a corner; two mismatched poles and one wooden staff for ā‚¬8 each. We bought one pole (it's all I use) and the staff...mission accomplished!
Yes Chrissy, the retail version of Tardis. I found a portable fan that attaches to the power jack of my digital tablet, so far it has not ignited.šŸ¤ž

Claro, That was a real oldtime albergue.

Just wondering, does Spain not have super big box stores like Wal-mart, which tend to kill off smaller discount stores like Chino stores?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And don't forget the most important thing they stock....corkscrews
God bless em.

Once I was in Mexico and bought a bottle of wine and the shopkeeper didn't have a corkscrew (I was going to take it back to my place to drink with my friends). So he left me there in the store while he took off on foot to various bars until he found a corkscrew he could borrow, and brought it back. I love that.

Last edited:
Just wondering, does Spain not have super big box stores like Wal-mart, which tend to kill off smaller discount stores like Chino stores?
The only 'big' stores I have come across in Spain are the French Auchan - Alcampo - and Decathlon but I don't think they're anything like Wal-mart... ? Ha there is also Leroy Merlin for electricals and DIY.
They're all in the outskirts whereas the Chinese shops are right in the centre of towns.

Really? I've always found people to be respectful and as far as the name, many if not most are CALLED China Bazaar or some similar name with the word China in it. It's my understanding that "chino" means "Chinese." So I guess I'm a little confused at your comment.
Chino/a does mean Chinese and when used as an adjective is completely neutral. A Chinese restaurant is a restaurante chino (unless you're in PerĆŗ, where they're called chifas). I passed a China Bazaar today entering Medina del Campo - Bazar Chino. Chino/a can also refer to a Chinese person, the same way that estadounidense refers to someone from the US. What I was referring to, and I'll admit that perhaps "derision" was too strong a term, was the use of Chino as a collective noun for any and all of the Chinese run general store/groceries. Whether in other countries or in Spain, there are certain commonalities - inexpensive products primarily made in China, staffed by family members who interact with each other in Chinese, a level of customer service which may not be on a level with other stores. I believe the use of Chino by Spanish speakers does carry a negative connotation.
In terms of respect, I would ask if you've ever been in a Chino when someone comes in and says, "Oye, Chino, dƔme ..."? Instead of normal civilities, people will often say, "Hey, Chinaman (or China - Chinawoman) give me..."
I think that in general, people look on Chinos as having a useful function for providing a variety of low cost items and for being open at times when supermarkets are normally closed. My initial comment was that I don't see them as the same as Dollar Stores in the US.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Chino/a does mean Chinese and when used as an adjective is completely neutral. A Chinese restaurant is a restaurante chino (unless you're in PerĆŗ, where they're called chifas). I passed a China Bazaar today entering Medina del Campo - Bazar Chino. Chino/a can also refer to a Chinese person, the same way that estadounidense refers to someone from the US. What I was referring to, and I'll admit that perhaps "derision" was too strong a term, was the use of Chino as a collective noun for any and all of the Chinese run general store/groceries. Whether in other countries or in Spain, there are certain commonalities - inexpensive products primarily made in China, staffed by family members who interact with each other in Chinese, a level of customer service which may not be on a level with other stores. I believe the use of Chino by Spanish speakers does carry a negative connotation.
In terms of respect, I would ask if you've ever been in a Chino when someone comes in and says, "Oye, Chino, dƔme ..."? Instead of normal civilities, people will often say, "Hey, Chinaman (or China - Chinawoman) give me..."
I think that in general, people look on Chinos as having a useful function for providing a variety of low cost items and for being open at times when supermarkets are normally closed. My initial comment was that I don't see them as the same as Dollar Stores in the US.
I have not experienced that, but I agree that is disrespectful. I also agree that they are NOT like US Dollar stores. They have way more stuff!

The only 'big' stores I have come across in Spain are the French Auchan - Alcampo - and Decathlon but I don't think they're anything like Wal-mart... ? Ha there is also Leroy Merlin for electricals and DIY.
They're all in the outskirts whereas the Chinese shops are right in the centre of towns.
Don't forget El Corte InglƩs, but I think that's only in Madrid. I go there to pick up saffron and other things before I head home.

That's exactly what I do, too, after leaving a couple behind my first few years on the Camino.
I hesitate to share this golden tip... I lose adapters all the time. So does everyone else. So every time I lose one, I ask for the "Lost and Found" box in the next albergue. They have loads of adapters other people left behind. Their loss is my gain.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't forget El Corte InglƩs, but I think that's only in Madrid. I go there to pick up saffron and other things before I head home.
Ooops yes, actually the Corte Ingles in Alicante is practically our second home! I was more thinking of 'cheaper' shops... You'll find most things in the Corte Ingles (well, the big ones) but it is anything but cheap.

Last edited:
Don't forget El Corte InglƩs, but I think that's only in Madrid.
My wife, because I don't have quite as keen an eye for these things, has found them in many cities in Spain and Portugal, including SDC.
Does anyone know what they're called in Portugal?
Loja Chinesa, although there may be other names.

El Corte Ingles has branches, but I think more likely in large cities. I think I remember they had an outlet shop that we passed on the Portugues, back in 2015. Also we saw ads for buses that would take you to the outlet shop for a small fee...still wish I'd explored that!

70% of Chinese people in Spain come from one city called Qintian in the province of Zhejiang not far from Shanghai. Maybe the "tiendas chinas" business in Spain has something to do with this fact.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
70% of Chinese people in Spain come from one city called Qintian in the province of Zhejiang not far from Shanghai. Maybe the "tiendas chinas" business in Spain has something to do with this fact.
Thanks! I just looked it up on a map and it's right next to Wenzhou where all the Chinese immigrants in Belgium are from. They're famous for their noodles.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.