• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Afghans on trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillianbausch

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022-23
Finistere-Muxia 2023
I have been wondering since I walked the Frances last fall about this. Along the road outside of El Burgo Ranero there are crocheted afghans wrapped around the trees, several trees. Does anyone know why they are there?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
God! (Is that allowed?) Have I finally met someone with an Aunt Edna?

Well, you’re more qualified than I on the topic of God.

Auntie Edna was splendid. A striking woman in her youth she should have married a GI, but her mother intercepted her post and she was consigned to an unfulfilling life with a reliable but terminallly boring husband within a mile of her birth.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I saw these in a town but I don’t remember which town. I referred to them as “tree sweaters”. I thought they were so cute!

Edit: someone below mentioned Moratinos and that’s where these pics are from on the CF. I was so intrigued by the tree sweaters I left my iPod and headphones on the bench and had to walk back like 2 miles to get them.

Attachments

• IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4718.jpeg
    IMG_4718.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gosh, I clicked into this topic thinking Spain is building treehouses for Afghanistan pilgrims and get faced with tree blankets and Aunt Edna. This forum is full of surprises.

Lovely yarn bomb, btw 😄

These were in Villeguillo on the CdM in 2017. During the lockdown quite a lot of pillar boxes (where we post letters) in England were decorated with crochet, and this has continued in some places with expressions of solidaritiy over a current war.

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2276.jpeg
    IMG_2276.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2278.jpeg
    IMG_2278.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 71
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The ladies of Moratinos Association Cultural started wrapping the trees in the plaza mayor several years ago -- it was not my initiative, but I have cadged blankets and squares and bits of crochet from Ireland, Australia, USA, and Canada to add to the color. The sweaters fade over the years, so this winter I cut down a lot of them; Leandra and Co. spent the cold months crocheting the flags of the world, which now deck the plane trees in the plaza. Pilgrims enjoy looking for their homeland's flag in the colorful profusion. It's fun to see how other towns liven up their streets this way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They were there last year and I swear, every single tree in El Burgo had a sweater on it. This year, it looked like a lot of them were gone, but there were still plenty of them there. Made me smile. Figured it was a Covid activity, nothing to do? We can decorate our trees.

I have been wondering since I walked the Frances last fall about this. Along the road outside of El Burgo Ranero there are crocheted afghans wrapped around the trees, several trees. Does anyone know why they are there?
To paraphrase Ogden Nash.

I think that I shall never see crochet as lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the crochet fall, I'll never see a tree at all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Outside the former albergue in Alpriate, so I guess they do it in Portugal as well. This was several years ago. At least it was white and after all that work, the colors wouldn't fade!! A bit more effort than Granny Squares! Fringes even!
Beautiful work! Lovely photo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
W
Gosh, I clicked into this topic thinking Spain is building treehouses for Afghanistan pilgrims and get faced with tree blankets and Aunt Edna. This forum is full of surprises.

Lovely yarn bomb, btw 😄
Wow,I'm so glad that someone else owned up to not knowing what an afghan was(in this context) I was fearing a story about lynching 😟

I first heard about this in Rebekah Scott's wonderful book "A Furnace Full of God". (See her post above.) My husband and I had gone through Moratinos in 2013, I think before the people there had started doing it. But we got to see it in El Burgo Ranero in 2022. We wrote about it in our blog at the time and our neighbor at home in New Mexico was so impressed by it that when we got home she had crocheted squares and put them on her carport posts. I was hoping this would start a neighborhood trend but that hasn't happened so far. I need to get my mom to re-teach me how to crochet.

Attachments

• PXL_20220428_142922085.jpg
    PXL_20220428_142922085.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's not illegal here. A Guardia Civil agent donated two bags of crochet to our project, and told a reporter about it so Moratinos could "get some credit!"
Maybe it's a bit like wild camping along the Camino. There might be a law out there about it, but so long as real people act responsibly and no one complains, the police don't bother enforcing it.
Who needs police on the ground, when Internet People are so keen on enforcing rules?

Ok , it looks cool but it's also illegale.

In lots of municipalities here in my country ( and pretty sure it will be the same in other countries) councils give subsidies to local organisations for yarn bombing. It is a great way to get communities and neighbourhoods together. Does wonders for group dynamics and against the growing individualisation of our society.
Yarn bombing is much nicer than graffiti, dog poop or streetracers.

Last edited:

€83,-
To paraphrase Ogden Nash.

I think that I shall never see crochet as lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the crochet fall, I'll never see a tree at all.
Here in Ireland, there’s a poetry trail in Galway city, of two dozen bronze and limestone plaques, each inscribed with a poem inspired by the site. The one relevant to this thread reads ‘Make Visible the Tree’. (It’s drawing attention to the site of the former Magdalen laundry.) What did the trees on the Camino do to deserve the cover up?

It's called yarn bombing. At least that's what we call it near me. And yup, it's for no other reason than to bring a smile to those who see them. Just before Covid, on the Camino Portuguese we found the entire plaza had been done by the local school children of the village. Great way for them to show off their new skills!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one relevant to this thread reads ‘Make Visible the Tree’. (It’s drawing attention to the site of the former Magdalen laundry.) What did the trees on the Camino do to deserve the cover up?

One thing that ‘yarn bombing’ on trees does for me is to make them visible in a new way. And bring a smile. And given that knitting / crochet is traditionally something nearly all women of a certain age and culture do for babies, blankets on trees give me a message of care and love.
Yarn bombing has been in my awareness for a long time and I loved seeing how it manifested in Spain.
Some examples from the Via - but I think these projects are more municipal approved street art.
Edit. The mural of women knitting says - Weaving Life’.

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpeg
    IMG_3010.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3386.jpeg
    IMG_3386.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3384.jpeg
    IMG_3384.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 62
in some cases over here it's illegale. 🙏
Ah, OK, that's more precise.
Which is why the International Yarn Bombing Day webpage they say this:
Just please keep in mind that yarn bombing is technically illegal in some jurisdictions, so it would be wise to check your local legislation on the matter before creating a yarn bomb installation in a public space.
'Technically' carries a lot of weight here. Police in lots of places have been turning a blind eye to this since it began. And even (as some posters here have described) encouraging it.

Crochet dream catchers strung across the street in Santa Maria da Feira - about 3k off camino where I ended up when I was told the albergue in Sao Jao da Madeira (Portugal) was closed. - found out later that the albergue was open! But did enjoy my evening in this town:)20230531_182342.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Love this thread and am learning a lot about somethng I knew nothing about. I have skimmed through the photos, but will be reading the whole article.
Thanks for adding it to this very interesting thread! It has been a nice and fun variation from the forum norm, and I used to do alot of crocheting in my 20's...mostly winter scarves and afghans; nothing complicated.🙂

Yes Chrissy, a great thread. I didn't know trees needed to be kept warm with crochet squares. In winter I am sure they appreciate it. But don't they get too hot in summer? And calling them afghans. In Australia our Ghan is a train. And, yes, it is really named after Afghan cameleers. 🙂

On the via de la plata in Oliva de Plasencia.
We saw in the evening a group of ladies sitting together on a square and making these. So yes, its a great thing for the community.
Oh, don't sit on the bench when it has rained 🤣
20230419_191938.jpg

Attachments

• 20230419_192531.jpg
    20230419_192531.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back