• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ALSA bus Madrid to Burgos

Walkerooni

Time of past OR future Camino
C. Frances SJPdP to Santiago (June-ish 2018)
The answer may be buried somewhere in previous posts, but am hoping for some advice from someone who has recently done similar: I plan to fly to Madrid late August, then take ALSA bus from airport to Burgos My flight arrives at 1100 and I believe the bus leaves every 4 hours. I hope to make the one leaving at 1315. Having not used ALSA before, can someone advise whether I need to pre-buy the ticket online? Or could I reasonably expect to get a ticket in the terminal after landing?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bus seats can sell out, so might not be available on the day, and can't be bought on-board for anything other than local journeys either. Buy your ticket a few days in advance online from Alsa, Busbud, Omio or whoever.

The answer may be buried somewhere in previous posts, but am hoping for some advice from someone who has recently done similar: I plan to fly to Madrid late August, then take ALSA bus from airport to Burgos My flight arrives at 1100 and I believe the bus leaves every 4 hours. I hope to make the one leaving at 1315. Having not used ALSA before, can someone advise whether I need to pre-buy the ticket online? Or could I reasonably expect to get a ticket in the terminal after landing?
Quite simple to buy the ticket in advance. Easy to do on the ALSA website or app. They are cancellable with an hour’s notice; so you could buy tickets for a couple of busses if you’re not certain of timing; although I’d be totally happy with 2.5 hours from landing to bus departure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you arrive at T4, just go out the front door and buses leave just across the driveway. There us a bus ticket kiosk there. If your arrive at T1, 2, 3 you will need to catch a transfer to T4. These buses circulate the airport so allow a bit of time for that. You can book ahead using the Alsa App. It is easy to set up. Depending on whether your flight is on time or not, there is also an information section on that app in case you need to cancel. You can get a partial refund by canceling or changing within 2 hours of the departure time.

I was to catch bus from Madrid to Burgos pre booked Alsa Supra bus. It was sheer chaos no indication of bus walked up and down line asking, was there 2 hrs before it was due, no sign, disaster. They got me on another bus which did a tour of Spain before arriving in burgos around 24.00. Maybe its changed that was 2019 if I had choice hop a train.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was to catch bus from Madrid to Burgos pre booked Alsa Supra bus. It was sheer chaos no indication of bus walked up and down line asking, was there 2 hrs before it was due, no sign, disaster. They got me on another bus which did a tour of Spain before arriving in burgos around 24.00. Maybe its changed that was 2019 if I had choice hop a train.
We take the bus straight from the airport. I found that they run on time, and if you arrive there say 10-15 minutes beforehand thats all you need. They would use that space for other busses for the 2 hours beforehand. They run like clockwork.
There is an info desk just inside the airport that was very helpful.
We had no trouble finding or accessing the bus.

Sheer chaos, no sign, disaster??
This sounds to me, anything but typical of bus travel in Spain. Bus stations/stands are generally run very efficiently, notices are in plain Spanish and buses are almost always punctual to the minute connecting many hundreds of towns and cities all day, everyday.

Sounds like your experience was an exception.

Flog.
I have traveled many times on bus around Spain always on time always efficient I am relaying the chaos on the day at Madrid Airport don't shoot the messenger it was brutal.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Flog.
I have traveled many times on bus around Spain always on time always efficient I am relaying the chaos on the day at Madrid Airport don't shoot the messenger it was brutal.

I believe you, but I also believe your experience, as you describe it, was an exception. And the driver taking you on a tour of Spain sounds like a very special experience indeed.. I hope you gave him/her a tip?

Flog it was the exception must have traveled over 30 times on bus around Spain 🇪🇸 this was a first and yes, did give him a huge tip,
"Buy a Satnav" 😉

Thank you all. I was a bit concerned that depending how long it took to clear customs, it might be tight. It appears there are other options to ALSA as well, so I’m sure it will be fine. And yes, from the bus stop in Burgos it will be a quick walk to where I am staying. 😀

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a new bus station opened last year ( a 5 minute walk from T4) which makes it easier to find the right bus. Definitely better to book your seat early as the bus is often full. If you arrive at T1 it’s a 10 minute ride on the free transfer bus to T4.

Having done both to Burgos, I prefer the train as it is an hour faster and after flying I get less motion sick on the train. There is a 250pm from Chamartin station that gets in to Burgos at 430pm. This gives you time to have lunch, buy walking poles or whatever , and a little more leeway if your flight isn’t on time.

Having done both to Burgos, I prefer the train as it is an hour faster and after flying I get less motion sick on the train. There is a 250pm from Chamartin station that gets in to Burgos at 430pm. This gives you time to have lunch, buy walking poles or whatever , and a little more leeway if your flight isn’t on time.
You’re right the train is faster but it’s far easier getting the bus at the airport than getting to Chamartin. I travel to Burgos several times a year and always get the bus ( or drive), but if the 2 1/2 hour bus journey is too hard the train is a good option.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The bus I really don’t like is the one to Logrono. Seems like it stops 20 times and the road there is twisty/windy. I’ll be glad if they ever get a direct train. 🤢

The bus is easy - at least it was when I did it in 2019. Getting to T4 to get the bus was easy. There's an ALSA ticket kiosk right inside the terminal (I bought my ticket the day before), didn't have any trouble finding the bus and off we went. Yes, there's a train, but you have to go into town to the Chamartin train station, find your train, etc. It leaves later than the bus but arrives roughly (very) at the same time. So, yes, the train is quicker in terms of ride time but not overall time. I opted for the bus so I could sit down and get under way. I THINK it is ALSA that has a thing where you can purchase the seat next to you at a discount, this allows you to spread out. In Burgos, the bus station is only a few blocks from the cathedral, an easy walk.

We have taken the Alsa bus from Madrid several times. It's easy to buy your ticket in advance. That's we have done, but you can also buy one when you get there. I think you will really like the bus. It's quite comfortable, and the ride is interesting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did this last year September, landed at noon,
Bought my bus ticket to Burgos first thing and arrived same day
Great way to chill after a flight
Love Burgos
Enjoy

Book online - good website and yiu can make a slight additional ,payment for change of schedule if you are delayed . You just need to have the ticket on your phone - paper version not required by ALSA

My husband took the bus to Burgos from the airport and had no problems. The train station is pretty far from Burgos Centro. The bus station is only a few blocks from the Cathedral.
Different people are going to have different experiences, often not the fault of either the passenger or the bus line. The situation of the bus station being in center city Burgos is reason enough to use the bus versus the train! I’ve used ALSA often enough to say, “they get the job done” and have no reservations continuing to do so. Did the Madrid - Burgos route with ALSA a decade ago when doing hospitelero duty in a town east of Burgos and had no problem. Burgos is a fascinating town. Plan enough time there to visit the Museum of Human Evolution (across the river and a short walk east from the cathedral)-take your credential with you and check if still free admission for Pelegrínos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apart from possible flight delays, waiting for luggage and possibly passport control, remember ALSA buses leave from Terminal 4, the airport is very spacious, depending on which terminal you arrive at, you will need some time even with the shuttle bus.
I would be safe enough time to plan and in any case bus tickets buy online early

what i am worried about is getting from terminal T4S to T4 in order to catch the bus?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
He has a brilliant YouTube which describes how to get from ANY terminal to any other terminal, and all of the transportation options into Madrid or onward. Thank you. What a find.

Here is great info if you are arriving at Madrid airport. The video is long, but you can focus in on the info pertinent to you. It has a great overview of how to get between the 5 terminals, make flight connections, go into Madrid itself or carry on to other destinations by every means imaginable. Thank you EvleenMann!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
BTW I initially booked alsa bus through omio but decided to change to a later time. they said they didn't have details of later buses although they were on the alsa website. I then rang alsa, had to speak in French to the kind person there, and bought a new ticket for later time ( to give me more time to negotiate T4S to T4). then I phoned omio and they immediately refunded most of the money I had spent on first ticket.
I will let you know today how long it takes to get from T4S to Alsa bus stop....

BTW I initially booked alsa bus through omio but decided to change to a later time. they said they didn't have details of later buses although they were on the alsa website. I then rang alsa, had to speak in French to the kind person there, and bought a new ticket for later time ( to give me more time to negotiate T4S to T4). then I phoned omio and they immediately refunded most of the money I had spent on first ticket.
I will let you know today how long it takes to get from T4S to Alsa bus stop....
The Madrid airport has a commuter train between T4S and T4, I believe. This is from airport website:

Automatic People Mover (APM)​

Passengers who need to travel between terminal T4 and T4S, and who already have a boarding pass, can make use of the automatic train service.
It is a short trip, just over 3 minutes, aboard an automatic subway guided train without driver. It operates 24 hours a day, all year round.

Yes, altogether from plane arrival through passports and that special train to terminal 4 and then picking up luggage (mine was considered special as it was a large rucksack and came a bit late) and asking and getting directions to Alsa bus stop ( keep following Terminal bus signs and occasionally they even say Alsa) to arriving at the alsa bus stop took only one hour.

Now I’ve tried to board an earlier bus to Burgos, but they said no, so I’m patiently waiting ( rather impatient)

It seems very efficient, with clean toilets and vending machines, a free water station next to Lois but no cafe.

9CB48741-2FDE-4EBF-9557-BDAEC668431E.jpegBF27C149-B188-42D5-87C3-FF145C107517.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you do choose to take the bus to Burgos, I would suggest you purchase your ticket online in advance. When I took the bus last week I noticed that the ticket price online on the day of travel was significantly higher than what I paid online a few weeks before travel.

Also I arrived to the Madrid airport earlier than I expected, but at the ALSA booth I was allowed to change my ticket for an earlier bus at no charge.

Thank you lovely Forum people for your help! I have purchased my ticket online. That guidance, along with being directed to the Tony Galvez YouTube has me completely sorted. FYI, he has similar videos for Barcelona and others.

Thank you lovely Forum people for your help! I have purchased my ticket online. That guidance, along with being directed to the Tony Galvez YouTube has me completely sorted. FYI, he has similar videos for Barcelona and others.
ALSA do seem to have quite a good refund policy compared to quite a few other coach operators so worth checking if there are cheaper fares on your route even after you have booked your journey. So last night I was holding a Barcelona to Madrid ticket this Sunday for 37 euros. It was fully refundable! Last night I did a quick search to see if any cheaper fares and they were offering £10! Fares. Same bus I think. Those must have just come out last few days as was checking a few days back and no cheap fares (cheap fares are normally assumed to be a few months/weeks out in terms of availability). So worth checking back.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The bus I really don’t like is the one to Logrono. Seems like it stops 20 times and the road there is twisty/windy. I’ll be glad if they ever get a direct train. 🤢
The one I took from Madrid to Logroño stopped in Haro and I got off because I was told in Madrid that it only goes to Logroño. By the time I figured out I wasn't in Logroño, the bus was gone. For the time I took to find an ATM, I almost missed the next bus, on which the next stop was Logroño.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back