• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are albergue kitchens currently open?

ChristianF

Time of past OR future Camino
Coastal route Porto-Santiago (2016)
Hello, could anyone tell me if the communal kitchens found in many albergues are currently open for use? I wondered if the pandemic had limited their availability.
Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It depends. I walked the CP earlier this year, and there was a mix. No kitchen was closed, per se, but only a few had cooking equipment and utensils, and fewer still had crockery and cutlery for serving any meals that might have been prepared. Many kitchens had microwaves, but never any microwave safe cooking equipment, but there were fridges in every albergue I stayed at.

I expect that the other camino routes will be much the same.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This summer on the CF I didn't always sleep in albergues but the kitchens I saw were open to use, not very different than pre pandemic. Some only had microwaves and / or not a lot of equipment, but you could still prepare sandwiches, salad ect. For example:

- Roncesvalles (not much equipment and no shop in town, so you need to bring ingredients or buy microwave meals from the vending machine, but that was already the case pre Covid).
- Zubiri municipal (renovated, new simple kitchen is now inside the building, had no fridge if I remember correctly?)
- Cizur Menor / Orden de Malta: fully functioning kitchen, big supermarket in Cizur Major or small tienda in town, hospitaleros were very happy to see pilgrims cook a communal meal
- Puente la Reina / Padres Reparadores: fully functioning kitchen, as always very busy, same as pre Covid
- Estella municipal: open and theoretically has everything, but stoves were not allowed to be used for some reason
- los Arcos Issac Santiago: fully functional kitchen, same as I remembered it pre covid
- Najera municipal: fully functioning kitchen, same as pre covid
- Burgos municipal: only microwaves, more decoration than a real kitchen, same as pre covid
- Hornillos Meeting point: microwave kitchen incl. fridge
- Cacabelos municipal: simple microwave outdoor kitchen if I remember correctly, had a fridge too I think?

The donativos with communal meals I stayed at offered their communal dinner just as before Covid - I stayed at Zabaldika, Logrono and Granon.

The only totally empty kitchens I ever saw (without any pots/plates/forks ect.) were in Galicia (Xunta albergues) but that was pre covid, not sure what they're like now, if they're open at all, didn't stay at one this year.

In general, carry a tiny pot that doubles as a cup, a plate, a spork and an opinel knife and you don't have to worry about kitchenware and can prepare some (cold) food even if there's no kitchen at all.

Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
My experience in summer 2020 and 2021 on the Frances then Norte/Primitivo - and from what my daughter told me in 2021 about the Frances... Not all kitchens reopened. Definitely more open this year than last year though. If you need kitchens, I would verify in advance whether or not they are open AND what kind of cookware/dinnerware is currently being stocked in the kitchen. Why? This year it seemed that some kitchens were technically reopened - but not stocked with anything helpful to allow you to actually cook.

Same goes for Communal dinners - many places began hosting them again. Some did not.

I’m the Hospitalero now in Ribadiso da Baixo. The kitchen is open , stove , oven, microwave and refrigerator, without utensils or cooking gear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It depends. I walked the CP earlier this year, and there was a mix. No kitchen was closed, per se, but only a few had cooking equipment and utensils, and fewer still had crockery and cutlery for serving any meals that might have been prepared. Many kitchens had microwaves, but never any microwave safe cooking equipment, but there were fridges in every albergue I stayed at.

I expect that the other camino routes will be much the same.
It seems as the years go by there are less kitchens that have full services to cook, and eat and clean up after your meal. Covid may be part of the reason of course, but I think there are many albergues that may be tired of some pilgrims not cleaning up properly, taking "just" a spoon, or not properly respecting and taking care of plates, pots, pans etc in their kitchens. Just a guess and not an accusation.

Thanks all. That's really useful. I'm planning on taking some basic/light cooking gear to be able to use in the kitchens.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.