A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Are you 70+ and still walking Caminos?

2020 Camino Guides

jimmyc

Camino(s) past & future
JimmC,
More power to you! I've also organised a couple of rest days to ease things. We will turn off to FRIOL and the Norte, then walk from Biomorto direct to Lavacolla to avoid the Frances much as possible despite the roadwork entailed. There is always the odd bus or taxi in case of total body crumble. When is your next Camino?
My next camino will be the Sanabres this September.

angelafinnigan

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hello Bobc. Greetings from Melbourne. I walked the Primitivo last year. I am 80 next birthday and completed the walk in 19 days. However, there were two rest days included in the 19 day.
I found that providing I kept within my limitations and take regular rest breaks I have no problems. For instance, I took the Pola Allande option rather than attempting the Hospitales route.
In the last four years I have walked the CF from SJPP, The Portuguese from Lisbon and the Primitivo. In September I plan to walk the Sanabres.
All power to us oldies...
I'm almost 70 and planning Canterbury to Rome in September. I'd like to think I can keep walking for at least another ten years.

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
It realy all depends on your health,and walking sensible distances. I'm planning my "last" camino next April - the new Baix Maestrat - and I will be 81. Mind you, I've said each of my last four caminos were going to be my "last" one :)
God is good......
Buen caminos, amigos!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
It realy all depends on your health,and walking sensible distances. I'm planning my "last" camino next April - the new Baix Maestrat - and I will be 81. Mind you, I've said each of my last four caminos were going to be my "last" one :)
God is good......
Buen caminos, amigos!
Stephen, I hope you enjoy going on your "last" camino...but it may not actually be your final one!

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
Stephen, I hope you enjoy going on your "last" camino...but it may not actually be your final one!
Thanks, Chrissy! What you say is so true! But with arthritis in my spine and feet, it's got to end one day :)! However, I lived in Spain for 8 years, and was simply amazed to see the camino signs when I visited friends earlier this year.
I don't have a choice - I've GOT to walk it!!!
Blessings from grey East Anglia, UK......

Last edited:
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".

Hi there! Relax! I was only 65 when I started back in 2004! The only thing that stops me is wealth! Health ( the other demon!) I usually manage to compromise on and just put up with the consequences :) My Guardian Angel has asked for a job change, again! Its the walking bit you have to sort out i.e. be kind to yourself. camino is not a punishment! Catch a bus or taxi when you need to. I most certainly will! At 81 I will only gibber and slobber if anyone makes stupid comments! What fun we wrinklies have, eh?

Walk soft , stay safe and

as ever,

Vaya con Dios.

The malingerer

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
Have to show off, again! For my 70 birthday nine years ago I walked my first camino. Started from my home on the north coast of Brittany, round along the coast and all way down the Atlantic coast to Irun, the Norte to Santiago via Ribadeo and finished at the lighthouse of Cabo de Finisterra. After a pause, thinking I was done with Santiago, I walked the Primitivo at 73, and caught the bug apparently. Walk alone mostly, sometimes with family and I think they are bitten too by now. So much happiness!

Buen camino, everybody!

Camino(s) past & future
September/October 2015 CF; October 2017 PC from Porto; Camino Ingles October 2019; Le Puy (2020)
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".
I walked the Camino Frances in 2015 when I was 73, the Portuguese Camino in 2017 when I was 75, the British Coast to Coast Walk (Wainwright's) in 2018 when I was 76, and I'm planning to walk the Camino Ingles followed by the Camino Finisterre in October. I am now 77. I'm training especially hard for this one, because I know that muscle mass is lost as one gets older. It's still a gamble though, because the "potential chronic and debilitating condition" that one fears is always possible, so I just try to take each day (and long distance walk) as a gift.

PSTJ52

Camino(s) past & future
(March 2018)
In March of 2019, my husband and I hiked the Camino Frances from O'Cebreiro to Santiago. He was 80 and I'm in my 60s. We didn't find it all that difficult. We hiked Hadrian's Wall in 2018 and plan to do something different next year. You can keep going if you keep going.

danielle aird

La vie est belle
Camino(s) past & future
May 2018; September 2018; May 2019; Sept (2019)

I turned 70 on the Camino last year. I was back on it this year and turned 71 on it. I am going back this September. I can't get enough of it. Fear and regret are both wastes of time. Think of all the things you have feared in your life. How many of them have actually happened?

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2020)
When I walked my first Camino Frances in 1992 I Met a 72-year-old lady walking with her father. She said he was doing just fine but insisted on short days. I’m still limping along in my mid-70s. This spring I hope to walk the Camino Baztan backwards to Bayonne then walk to St. John and repeat the Camino Francis.
But I find that I insist on route where I don’t have to carry food and cooking gear and can find a roof if the night is wet. I think I enjoyed the experience of walks even more from an old man’s perspective. A good optimistic attitude can only take you so far though. Reminds me of a story I heard in an old movie about the man that backed off the roof have a very tall apartment building. All the way down people reported hearing him say “ well, so far so good. “
"The optimist fell
I found on my first Camino that walking in trekking sandals (without socks) was so much preferable to trekking shoes that I no longer carry shoes. I am on to my fourth or fifth pair of Source Gobi sandals. If I do find a hot spot I wrap a layer or two of Micropore tape around my foot. I've never had a blister. The sandals are amphibious so I don't worry about rain or streams.
Source Gobi sandals? I am on the hunt for a pair or two for my 4th Caminoo (doing a loop) September 2020 (St James willing!). Tevas I found in Ponferrada great but company apparently has changed the footbed since 2019. I shall research on Web but would love your feedback. My first Camino
Last year at age 75 I started alone in SJPP and finished in Santiago 33 days later. Carried my pack and trekked every frigging inch (EFI). A wonderful experience, even better than my other two Caminos. Being alone, I was able to easily meet others from around the globe.

It’s my plan to do it again in 2022, when I’m 80, if I can wait that long. The pull is getting stronger all the time.
"EFI" - Nice one! Need to create a backpack patch with that logo. "Camino Addict - (arrow) EFI". 75 years now but the addiction began with a Camino Francais in 2002 ('waaay before this Forum and WifFi!) and progressed to 2012 and 2019. Officiallya sandal fanatic as even trail runners make my feet feel "choked". So, Source Gobi? I shall research it; I am in North Carolina.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Source Gobi sandals? I am on the hunt for a pair or two for my 4th Caminoo
It looks like Source has co branded their sandals with Naot. Their "Harbor" sandal looks identical to the Gobi. Available from Zappos on sale for $87.99

Here they are directly from Source

And they are also available on Amazon

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
An excellent thread to bring back and participate in again while we wait for the "current difficulty" to be resolved.

I walked my first camino in 2009 at age 70 and have walked almost every year since...sometimes twice. :cool:
I just cancelled one scheduled in August of this year for obvious reasons.

I usually end up walking with younger people (duh) and do not really think of age and am a bit taken back when others are surprised by my age.
I always carry my pack and have walked EFI (see post #59 above ;)).

For those who are concerned about their age.....it is not the years. It is the level of fitness and the willingness to work as hard as you can to train to get into a reasonable shape to survive the first week. After that...you will, no doubt, be in the best condition of your life.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - SJPdP to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2013
I don't think I've been on here in over four years but just happened to see this forum! I was curious about how you all were faring with COVID-19.
Sunday was my 89th birthday and I joined this forum just before I walked with my daughter in 2013 at the age of 82. I wasn't a walker when I started but did train for about year before starting out at SJPDP in September and finishing in Santiago about six weeks later. It was the most productive thing I've done in my lifetime. My wife joined me in Sarria for the last stretch,
I know I'm not the oldest by far (I did meet an 83 year-old doctor from Toronto) but I've always been curious how many my age or older carried their packs the entire way. Would I do it again, I don't think so but there's always that urge to walk part of it just for old-time's sake.
Go for it. You'll never regret it.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - SJPdP to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2013
An excellent thread to bring back and participate in again while we wait for the "current difficulty" to be resolved.

I walked my first camino in 2009 at age 70 and have walked almost every year since...sometimes twice. :cool:
I just cancelled one scheduled in August of this year for obvious reasons.

I usually end up walking with younger people (duh) and do not really think of age and am a bit taken back when others are surprised by my age.
I always carry my pack and have walked EFI (see post #59 above ;)).

For those who are concerned about their age.....it is not the years. It is the level of fitness and the willingness to work as hard as you can to train to get into a reasonable shape to survive the first week. After that...you will, no doubt, be in the best condition of your life.
I remember your posts from way back!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
@indyinmaine, what an uplifting reply and I'm so happy to hear your story! I hope I will be walking caminos at age 82, God willing, and would consider myself blessed...even if I am unable carry my own pack!

samoht.w

Camino(s) past & future
2013 SJPP to Santiago in September
2014 Camino Aragon GR 11 2015, 16, 17
Del Norte 2018 & 2019
I remember your posts from way back!
Hello IndyinMaine. My name is Tom, and I'm a Camino addict :) I first walked the Camino in 2013, and have been back every year since. I turned 80 on the Norte this past September. I reside in Maine, do you?

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
@indyinmaine It is great to hear from some who have not posted for a little while.

On my first few Caminos there really was not an option to have your pack transported. I think I have walked about 12 Camino’s since the first one in 2009 and have always carried my own kit.
Those with physical limitations did have a couple of options but the rest of the folks had no real option except to carry their pack. I cannot recall ever hearing of a pack referred to as “luggage”😎. I think of wheeled carryons when I hear luggage.

Times and what is thought of as “normal” have changed a great deal in the past 5 years.

pepi

Camino(s) past & future
2013, 14, 16, 17, 18
No intention to brag, just for the statistics: I'm born Jan. 1944 and walked my first of four long CF plus one CN in 2013, each in 31 - 33 days. No big deal. Had to skip last year because of two simultaneous surgeries (one cancer, one quintuple bypass) but am now ready and trained for my 6th, waiting that this corona thing is over...missing the peregrinas 😅
Meanwhile walking my 60 to 80 km per week locally.
Buen camino

Camino(s) past & future
Frances ('10), Portugues ('11), Promitivo ('13), VdlP ('14), Ingles ('16), Torres ('17), Litoral '19
"Source Gobi sandals? I am on the hunt for a pair or two"
Source Gobi are the only trekking sandals I remember owning. I was so satisfied with the first pair that I have been wary of trying anything else. The first pair were bought from an outdoor store here in Galway some ten years ago. After that they were never in stock when I needed them so bought them online from a Belfast outdoor store and from the manufacturer. One pair should do you. The pair I wore from Seville to Santiago in 2014 were well worn before I started out and they survived. I did leave them in a bin in Santiago.

I see someone has already supplied the Source link.

Buen Camino, Liam

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
I don't think I've been on here in over four years but just happened to see this forum! I was curious about how you all were faring with COVID-19.
Sunday was my 89th birthday and I joined this forum just before I walked with my daughter in 2013 at the age of 82. I wasn't a walker when I started but did train for about year before starting out at SJPDP in September and finishing in Santiago about six weeks later. It was the most productive thing I've done in my lifetime. My wife joined me in Sarria for the last stretch,
I know I'm not the oldest by far (I did meet an 83 year-old doctor from Toronto) but I've always been curious how many my age or older carried their packs the entire way. Would I do it again, I don't think so but there's always that urge to walk part of it just for old-time's sake.
Indyinmaine, you are truly an inspiration. Thank you for being such.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
An inspiration, as John said! Why not walk part of it for old time’s sake. Go for it, as you said yourself, you’ll never regret it!!!

Buen camino!

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
@indyinmaine , kia ora (greetings, good health)

All I can say, being a relative youngster at 78 years old, is kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2020)
Source Gobi are the only trekking sandals I remember owning. I was so satisfied with the first pair that I have been wary of trying anything else. The first pair were bought from an outdoor store here in Galway some ten years ago. After that they were never in stock when I needed them so bought them online from a Belfast outdoor store and from the manufacturer. One pair should do you. The pair I wore from Seville to Santiago in 2014 were well worn before I started out and they survived. I did leave them in a bin in Santiago.

Buen Camino, Liam
Thank you very much for Source Gobi. As I am more and more drawn to wear sandals, I have a good feeling about this footwear choice discovered a surprising number on enthusiastic online reviews; a pair from Amazon/Zappo's to arrive here early April (!!). I am praying Gibson Park in High Point NC remains open to responsible, social distancing walkers as this 75 year old delights in the benefits in vitality, posture and well being about a good hike!

Deise

Camino(s) past & future
Frances SJPP to Santiago Sept 2013
Via de la Plata April 2015
"...What then? shall we sit idly down and say the night has come; it is no longer day? The night hath not yet come;
...For age is opportunity no less than youth itself, though in another dress, and as the evening twilight fades away the sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
"
Morituri Salutamus,
1875, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

From 2004 at 65 through 2015 at 75 I walked the Camino Frances eleven times often alone in autumn and winter.

Fulfilling a dream held since university days, at 65 I first set out. I, too, wanted to experience what so many had done across time and to see what had been built along the way while pondering the myths and ghosts of history. As most pilgrims do I discovered this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. When exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!"

Kindnesses of strangers along the way offering smiles, water, conversation, help and hospitality were a constant support. After walking two months when I first arrived at Santiago de Compostela in 2004 seeing at last the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, and weeping with joy as the great bells tolled were special thrills. Overwhelmed with emotion I silently gave thanks for all that had passed. Later when sorting memories and souvenirs, I slowly began to realize that my mind and heart had been deeply changed by this journey. Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, eleven times.
Each Camino has begun with both anticipation and trepidation. As always I wondered how it all will go. My reasons include non-traditional spiritual ones giving thanks for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enabled such a journey. Walking alone day after day I pondered varied aspects of the thousand-year history of this beloved route as well as recalled several quotations which help define my personal creed. "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity...I will walk in liberty for I seek thy precepts. " Psalm 26:11 and 119:45.
" No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. " Buddha

For those who asked why another Camino?
One answer was " le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing. " Pascal,
Les Pensées

Unfortunately mid-route 2015 after a fall when it was no longer possible to easily stand or walk my camino ceased; the sad, inevitable moment had come for me to stop. I reached the end of my trail....

Now as age (79) and time take their further toll hopefully my precious memories will endure as long as I. Physically I may not be walking, but sentimentally I will always "wear" my pilgrim shell.

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years I wish only the best for the future of this beloved route. Might all who walk find fulfillment.
"like" does not do justice beautiful post. thank you

Camino(s) past & future
It looks like Source has co branded their sandals with Naot. Their "Harbor" sandal looks identical to the Gobi. Available from Zappos on sale for $87.99

Here they are directly from Source

And they are also available on Amazon

In times of pandemic, a modest delight: the arrival of my NAOT sandals. Sunny weather predicted for later this week and that's me, off to Gibson Park, an opportunity for a trial walk over rocks, roots, mud, clay and modest inclines. My goodness, they do look quite the biz and rugged! Thank you so much for the purchasing information! Be well and safe!

Camino(s) past & future

Buen Camino, Liam
Liam, I replied on I think on this link my NAOT sandals arrived 31 March and with sunshine flooding the Piedmont of North Carolina's Gibson Park (an "allowed" trail), I am strapping them off and putting them through their paces. Determined as by heck to get September (??) 4th Camino pack weigh down to 11 lbs and these sandals an important component of this weight reduction plan. Mind how you go!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock