• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to pay for goods & services on the camino?

Annie Gaby

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April 2016)
What is the best way to pay for food, lodging, etc.? Cash, credit card, pre-paid travel card?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cash, small bills. Don't try to pay for something with a large denomination note in a village. If you have large bills use them in a big supermarket so that you get varied change.
Don't rely on the atm in the next village, it may be empty or broken - always keep a few days cash hidden away as back-up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
your guide should warn you about longer stretches without them
That is one thing I don't think the Brierley guide will do for you. It has not included ATM stops. On the other hand, it does show water fountains!!

Some internet websites indicate ATM's. For example, Eroski for Zubiri:

upload_2015-1-26_5-58-19.png

Mastercard has a website with ATM locations and I expect that Visa does too. Very useful for seeing where there are several to choose from, or none at all. Most machines accept both Visa and Mastercard, but it is still worth withdrawing cash before running too low.

Cash, baby. And try to get small bills.
Lots of ATM's along the way, but the only place I found to exchange US dollars to euros was the airport at Madrid (Paris airport for my first Camino).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know this topic has been discussed many times, and I'm pretty sure I understand it, but just want to make sure. All of the recommendations about using cash are based on the underlying premise that credit cards are not widely accepted, correct? I was taught by wise people here that if I can use my credit card (assuming I have a "no international fees" card, which I do), I would always do better on the card than by using cash drawn from an ATM. Am I wrong about that?

If not, then I would only add that in my recent experience, credit cards are becoming much more widely accepted in small towns in Spain. I have used my Visa card frequently on many untraveled caminos, in many small places, and can only remember one time where I was running out of money and couldn't find either an ATM or use a credit card. I do understand that the costs to the merchants are higher if you use a CC, which may be a reason to go for cash, but if you're talking purely in terms of what's best for you, my impression had always been that a CC was better.

Hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks, Laurie

I know this topic has been discussed many times, and I'm pretty sure I understand it, but just want to make sure. All of the recommendations about using cash are based on the underlying premise that credit cards are not widely accepted, correct? I was taught by wise people here that if I can use my credit card (assuming I have a "no international fees" card, which I do), I would always do better on the card than by using cash drawn from an ATM. Am I wrong about that?

If not, then I would only add that in my recent experience, credit cards are becoming much more widely accepted in small towns in Spain. I have used my Visa card frequently on many untraveled caminos, in many small places, and can only remember one time where I was running out of money and couldn't find either an ATM or use a credit card. I do understand that the costs to the merchants are higher if you use a CC, which may be a reason to go for cash, but if you're talking purely in terms of what's best for you, my impression had always been that a CC was better.

Hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks, Laurie

No, the cash thing is more subtle, it is because you will be travelling through poor areas where cash is the generally accepted form of payment. True, many bars and cafes will take plastic but cash is the way to go - remember, poor areas, people struggling .... a cash transaction isn't always entered into the ledgers of the business!

Cash is like this - and you can't do this with plastic! - You pay 20 euros in the bar, the bar owner gives 20 euros to the woman who delivers onions, she give the twenty euros to the man who fills her truck with fuel, he gives the twenty euros to his wife to buy food from the local shop, the local shop owner gives the 20 euros to his son for violin lessons, the violin teacher takes the 20 euros and as it is her anniversary takes her husband out to the same bar for a meal that evening. She gives the 20 euros to the cafe owner so the 20 euros is back where you left it and everyone is paid.
And that is why handing over cash in poor areas is so much better than using plastic!!

Buen Camino ;)

Last edited:
In two places in Santiago we saw the bar owners pay cash for their delivery:- of crates of Coca Cola and the supply of butter. In one place that Terry stayed the landlady took the cash and went off to the supermarket for supplies.......
A different way of life for those of us used to paying with plastic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, the cash thing is more subtle, it is because you will be travelling through poor areas where cash is the generally accepted form of payment. True, many bars and cafes will take plastic but cash is the way to go - remember, poor areas, people struggling .... a cash transaction isn't always entered into the ledgers of the business!

Cash is like this - and you can't do this with plastic! - You pay 20 euros in the bar, the bar owner gives 20 euros to the woman who delivers onions, she give the twenty euros to the man who fills her truck with fuel, he gives the twenty euros to his wife to buy food from the local shop, the local shop owner gives the 20 euros to his son for violin lessons, the violin teacher takes the 20 euros and as it is her anniversary takes her husband out to the same bar for a meal that evening. She gives the 20 euros to the cafe owner so the 20 euros is back where you left it and everyone is paid.
And that is why handing over cash in poor areas is so much better than using plastic!!

Buen Camino ;)

Yes, I get that, I just wanted to make sure that all of these comments were talking about the value to the business, not the value to the purchaser. What I had learned here earlier, speaking exclusively in terms of the person buying the goods/services, is that the exchange rate is better on the CC than on the ATM.

And not to get too persnickety, but I think there is another consideration that might be relevant. Owners and merchants who prefer cash to credit cards may not only be interested in making a bit more by not having to pay the credit card company, but paying in cash will often make the transaction "disappear" for purposes of paying taxes on it to the government. So that makes it a little less clear to me. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you all for your very helpful answers/advice! I agree, cash is best -- I just wasn't sure about ATMs and safety of carrying a lot of cash. I do the same thing here in NY for all "Mom & Pop" shops and restaurants -- I pay cash so they don't have to record it and/or pay fees to the big corporations. Thanks again, and Buen Camino!

I also relied on cash payments, the exception being when I occasionally opted for a hotel (but not in hostales, pensiones, casas rurales or shops). Yes, as David said, I believe that they in many places have a 'special' system circumventing receipts (and maybe thus taxation?).

I myself brought two credit cards one of which was deeply ensconced in my backpack so short of someone actually walking off with my pack, it was rather unlikely that I would loose it.

It might be a good idea to bring emergency phone numbers with you in the unlikely event that your credit card is 'lifted' in order that you may quickly block your account.

Maybe I am coming over as paranoid here, but I chose to never use an ATM outside a bank unless the bank was open. If your card for inexplicable reasons was 'swallowed' you could then go into the bank and have it retrieved.

annelise

True, many bars and cafes will take plastic but cash is the way to go - remember, poor areas, people struggling .... a cash transaction isn't always entered into the ledgers of the business!
There are plenty of good reasons why pilgrims paying cash might be preferred, but I don't think assisting traders participate in a black market economy and avoid legitimately imposed taxes, etc by conducting off-ledger transactions should be one of them.

I agree with legitimately minimising trading costs imposed by credit card companies and banks, and also minimising the amount of working capital needed to allow for the time it takes for payments by credit card to be lodged with the vendor. I don't think one will ever get away from the first - it is the price traders pay to improve their sales in a variety of circumstances, some that probably don't really apply to a cafe in rural Spain. The second, ie the time taken to pay vendors, is improving, but still presumably not seamless.

From a pilgrim's perspective, while there are still traders and albergues who cannot or prefer not to use credit cards, having some cash is essential, even if one might use a credit card when that opportunity also exists.

What I had learned here earlier, speaking exclusively in terms of the person buying the goods/services, is that the exchange rate is better on the CC than on the ATM.

The exchange rate will be the Interbank rate in both cases. The difference comes in with regard to fees assessed for a foreign transaction, and these depend entirely on the policies of your bank. Some banks charge a markup on the exchange rate for foreign credit card transactions. Some banks charge a markup on the exchange rate and/or a per-transaction fee for foreign ATM transactions (some charge both). Some don't charge these kinds of fees. Generally-speaking, larger banks will charge these fees, but brokerage houses and credit unions are more likely not to.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
from elsewhere:

"As far as I am aware (and I work for MBNA) - if someone pays by Credit Card, the retailer only gets 97% of the transaction price. 1.5% goes to Visa or Mastercard, and 1.5% to the card issuer

However, with amex, the retailers cut is reduced to 96% - which is why many WONT accept them, not that they CAN'T accept them"

...so that is the reason why cash is king.

There have been a couple of perniticky and pedantic responses to this thread re cash and taxes - now, everyone is entitled to their opinion (and that includes me you know) .. but, this cash thing....
It is not for anyone on this forum (or on Camino) to police the Camino or the people who live in those villages and towns, it is not for us to judge whether someone pays their taxes or not, nor is it our role to decide which taxes (if any) are just and fair. We are pilgrims, passing through a landscape already inhabited by other people, people who actually live there - we are travellers, temporary guests ... the old adage of "when in Rome" comes to mind ... it is like this - there are the global owners, the banks, the corporations, the politicians who dance to their tune ... they are doing everything possible to remove cash from all economies .. think of contactless card payments ... no profit to the banks, so why are they doing it? No rich corporation does something for nothing .. so ask yourselves why ...
The thing about humans is that cash works really well, because it is merely pieces of paper that can be used to allow village life and lives to flow. Throughout the world, where you find real humans in real human relationships you will find cash ( or/and barter), not cards.
We are temporary visitors; I say let cash flow, like blood through arteries ... enough of the small-minded traffic warden mindset and the pedantic-ness - all is well - the beautiful rain falls on the just and the unjust equally - it is nor for us to judge .. so many pilgrims each year, we are the rain in their time of drought, don't you think?

Buen Camino :)

... think of contactless card payments ... no profit to the banks, so why are they doing it? No rich corporation does something for nothing .. so ask yourselves why ...

Contactless card payments are just that - no need to type in a PIN code / sign a receipt but the banks are still profiting from it big time! Oh, and don't get me started on the whole credit card business and how it actually tempts/forces people to get into debt. I only would get a ban on this forum for discussing politics here ...

Buen Camino, SY *who hasn't owned a credit card in 20+ years and is proud of it*

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Cash is best BUT I wouldn't carry more than 200-300 euros at a time in cash.
Carry an ATM card with a 4-NUMERAL pin number and take out 200-300 euros whenever you're getting below 50.
I like Charles Schwab because they reimburse ALL fees at the end of the month, but there are others who also do that.

And be sure to notify whatever bank you use that you'll be in Europe or you could have your card frozen!
bummer...

I found a combination of cash and card when walking in september 2014. I took a pre-pay euro bank card with me... my husband topped it up if I was getting low but I never had more than around 300€ on the card... so if I lost it I wouldn't lose too much money and it wasn't linked to any other bank account. It worked really well.

I tried to keep more than 100€ with me as you can go a day or two without seeing a cash-point - sometimes I could pay for a shared meal with a card and my fellow pilgrims would give me the cash. Albergues were generally always cash but some private albergues did take cards.

The larger supermarkets and shops and chemist generally took cards and in larger town cards are widely accepted... Burgos and Leon catherdrals both accepted cards and there was even a card-machine in a corner of Leon cathedral for donations via plastic.

Thinking back, whenever I could (and if the amount wasn't too tiny) I paid with card... otherwise cash it was.

Maybe I am coming over as paranoid here, but I chose to never use an ATM outside a bank unless the bank was open. If your card for inexplicable reasons was 'swallowed' you could then go into the bank and have it retrieved. annelise
Very wise! When we lived in Spain we were caught in a clever fraud. A matching, discrete metal plate was put over the cash outlet. It caught the cash out of sight. When the customer has scratched his head - and found the bank shut - the thieves return to the ATM, remove the metal plate, take your money, replace the metal plate and wait just out of sight for the next customer. I lost €100 like that. Fortunately the bank [Santander] refunded it the next week.

Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There have been a couple of perniticky and pedantic responses to this thread re cash and taxes - now, everyone is entitled to their opinion (and that includes me you know) .. but, this cash thing....
It is not for anyone on this forum (or on Camino) to police the Camino or the people who live in those villages and towns, it is not for us to judge whether someone pays their taxes or not, nor is it our role to decide which taxes (if any) are just and fair. We are pilgrims, passing through a landscape already inhabited by other people, people who actually live there - we are travellers, temporary guests ... the old adage of "when in Rome" comes to mind ... it is like this - there are the global owners, the banks, the corporations, the politicians who dance to their tune ... they are doing everything possible to remove cash from all economies .. think of contactless card payments ... no profit to the banks, so why are they doing it? No rich corporation does something for nothing .. so ask yourselves why ...
The thing about humans is that cash works really well, because it is merely pieces of paper that can be used to allow village life and lives to flow. Throughout the world, where you find real humans in real human relationships you will find cash ( or/and barter), not cards.
We are temporary visitors; I say let cash flow, like blood through arteries ... enough of the small-minded traffic warden mindset and the pedantic-ness - all is well - the beautiful rain falls on the just and the unjust equally - it is nor for us to judge .. so many pilgrims each year, we are the rain in their time of drought, don't you think?

Good point, well made.

Everyone has a preference. What works for me is cash. When getting below 100 I go to an ATM and withdraw 300. This method minimises any transaction/conversion fees. At the ATM I select to bill in GBP when the option is offered as I find this results in the lowest charges and consequential actual conversion rate. I keep anything above 100 secreted on my person at all times (yes it goes with me to the shower). To obtain this excess someone would have to strip me naked and walk off with everything! (Not a detail to dwell on, and the police would be able to identify the thief from the DNA left behind when they throw up at the sight!)

@David, it always amuses me when you have one of your rants, and when I look for the things you claim or infer have been said are not to be found in the thread. Railing against a suggestion that I or someone else has suggested that pilgrims should 'police the Camino' is, frankly, just fanciful. It just didn't happen.

Perhaps you, and others who support your suggestion that it preferable to pay cash because 'a cash transaction isn't always entered into the ledgers of the business' with the clear implication that this will avoid legitimate taxes, should reflect on whether they wish to forego:
  • drinking potable tap water
  • disposing of your bodily waste into a flush toilet and sewerage system
  • taking a shower
  • having electric light and power available in your accommodation
  • knowing that, should you need it, you can be evacuated to a medical facility in an ambulance driving over paved roads
  • contacting your loved ones by mail, phone or internet.
These are just some examples of what governments achieve for their citizens and visitors using tax revenue.

It seems to me that what you want won't get cash flowing 'like blood through arteries'. Cash will merely struggle though the capillaries, maybe doing some local good to a few small businessmen and businesswomen, but never contributing to the larger social good of the Spanish people. That is, indeed, a small minded objective.

I suggested earlier that there are good reasons for business to use cash. I just don't agree with your reasoning on this matter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone has a preference. What works for me is cash. When getting below 100 I go to an ATM and withdraw 300.
I do exactly as Al. Well, I may take 400 Euros, but I am probably better funded than he is... ;):):):)

To obtain this excess someone would have to strip me naked and walk off with everything!
I shudder at the very thought!

And frankly, I like to cover my expenses with cash. It is sort of security. Cash always works. I was reminded of it today, when my city (and all of Northern Norway) was out of electricity for + 3 hours due to a severe storm. Was nice to have my cash-jar to take out some money from before going shopping, because all card-readers were parked, naturally...

I may be old-cashioned...

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Owners and merchants who prefer cash to credit cards may not only be interested in making a bit more by not having to pay the credit card company, but paying in cash will often make the transaction "disappear" for purposes of paying taxes on it to the government. So that makes it a little less clear to me. Buen camino, Laurie

Huh, Laurie, I guess it's really hard for you to understand someone is avoiding taxes. But here in good old Europe (or at least in fast growing parts of it, for now!!!), with all these coruption in government circles, bureaucracy, highly overpaid management etc. etc. etc., words of JFK "...ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." got exactly the opposite meaning in last years. And I can only second that!
Because...
... in 2016 the most wealthy 1% of all people on earth will own 99% of world's whole wealth!

Need I say more?

PS (Sorry for going off-topic...)

Cash is needed. Please do not go political or judgemental.

I prefer cash; it works. Other than that I do not care. If you try to walk the Camino with one/many plastic cards only, you will be in serious trouble. Use your card only for cash withdrawal. This is not difficult. Welcome to Spain, which is not your home country. Do as the Romans: Adjust to real life.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We use cash because it is easy, helps the local economy and helps us keep track ofour spending. It is not done to aid tax evasion etc. This next Camino we will actually use a credit card part of the time because we are making bookings using Booking.com or Venere.com. Some of the hotels will pre-charge our card for at least one day (due to their cancellation policies) and it will make sense to use the same card if staying more than one night. However where possible we will still be using cash - and carry enough to pay our bills in case the card machines are not working. At least one of the places we are looking at says that they only take cash, not cards, so cash is essential still.

Just one slightly off topic point. Look carefully at the keypad! In Spain some have the numbers going from the top and others from the bottom. So if you just do what comes instinctively it may say incorrect code. This can be important if the numbers are well worn and it is bright sunlight. I have more than one moment of panic in the past.

... Welcome to Spain, which is not your home country. Do as the Romans: Adjust to real life.

oh should I ... shouldn't I ... I just wanted to say that having been born and bred in rural England and having lived for years in rural France I found the part of Spain I walked through to be pretty much like home... small rural places often dont take cards and larger places did. I didn't find Spain too much different from the UK of France in this respect.

I should step away from the keyboard now and go finish painting my bathroom ceiling :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Observation from me in Britain.

The term "credit card" has become too generic and confusing on this thread - let me explain.

Most of my friends and acquaintances do not have "Credit" cards and those that do only do so for when they foresee a possible emergency such as a need to hire a car for which you do, perforce, have to have a credit card.
In any case those of my friends who do have credit cards have them set up with their banks so any debts on them are paid off at the end of each month with, therefore, zero interest added to the cost of any purchases.

BUT

What all of my friends and acquaintances do have are "Debit" cards.
More particularly chip and PIN (4 numbers only) cards.

BUT

To go back to the OP (Annie Gaby) question

Even here in dear old Blighty cash works best for small transactions simply because it is faster and thus more convenient for both parties.
And NOT because it is used by the vendor as a method (Heaven forfend, dougfitz!) of avoiding taxes etc!

(As to cash v card argument - going seriously off-thread - have you not been stuck at sometime in a queue where some poor old dear can't remember her PIN and eventually gives the shopkeeper a scrap of paper with the number on and asks the shopkeeper to read it out loud to her?!)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And NOT because it is used by the vendor as a method (Heaven forfend, dougfitz!) of avoiding taxes etc!
I suspect most small businesses operate within the law, attempt to minimise their cost, but don't try and illegally avoid their taxes. But I still see the occasional open till drawer, ringing up of a 'no sale' or change provided from a small cash supply kept by the till. I think it would be naive to expect those transactions to reach the ledger! It happens here in Australia, it happens in Spain, and it has happened to me in the UK. I think it is a fact of life that some small traders will do these things.

What amuses me is that one of our holier than thou brethren seems to think it acceptable, appears to condone such theft and indeed argues that it is a good thing. It is one thing to accept that it happens, and as travellers in another country, also accept that we have no real power or means to prevent it. It is another to condone it by pitching it as some David against Goliath struggle of the small trader against big business and the organs of the state. I accept it might happen, I don't have to condone it when it does.

In the meantime, I carry cards (credit and debit) to access my funds, and carry enough cash for my immediate needs. Where the option is available, I will use EFT (credit or debit) in preference to cash, and withdraw cash when I need to do that. In Spain on the camino, that means carrying more cash than I might elsewhere.

Last edited:
Bystander raises an important point. I did mean 'credit'card in my posts. In the UK I never use my debit card to pay for goods or services, only to draw cash from an ATM. I use the credit dard for goods and services, never to withdraw cash. I see this as a safety net, and more so if away from home and not able to check statements for possible fraud. I can take up the issue with the credit card company if 'odd' transactions show, and I only use the debit card in indoor ATMs, or if I can see others have made it work properly. Personally I feel this is even more important in Spain, not because they will have any higher level of problems but that I am less able to track my account or see my balances. Back again to the feeling that cash gives me greater control over my spending.

Although I live in the uk I used to live in France and still have a French Euro bank account. I use the French debit card to withdraw cash and to pay for things where a card is necessary. I also take a back-up uk Mastercard credit card with me, hidden away, for emergencies. I only use it when abroad. It is issued by the Post Office and run by the Bank of Ireland. I have that because there are no transaction charges when using overseas.

Don't want to appear "holier than thou" ;) offering this but I think it is worth shopping around to find a card with no overseas fees.

If in the uk this link that compares cards for travel overseas is really helpful (I assume there are similar websites in north America and Australasia?)
- http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Question to the OP:

What is the best way to pay for all of those things in NY? I bet it depends on the situation, amount, shop, hotel ect...

Why would Spain be any different?

Staying off topic with bystander. we have just experienced the "Pre Christmas Black Pub Days" where people who don't use the pubs go in in groups for their once a year event. They order drinks one a a time, ask for drinks that are not available, ask for the Guinness last, then add food (with delays while they ask each person what they want) and coffees, and finally flourish the dreaded card. All of this to the chagrin of the bar staff and the other dehydrating customers. Rant over, carry on as normal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking at the replies and noting all the philosophy being expressed, I think it might be simpler.

This is just a business transaction so handle it as such.

1) Always keep 300 euros or so, so that you can pay in cash in case it's easier for you or the vendor doesn't want or strongly prefers (i.e. with a discount) to not take credit cards. If you can, replenish this in larger amounts (to avoid ATM charges) of smaller bills to make it easier to exchange.
2) If the vendor says they take credit cards, it never hurts to ask whether that is their preference or whether they discount for cash.
2) If you have a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees that will usually be the cheapest (again if the establishment takes credit to begin with)
3) If you have a credit card that charges a transaction fee then it depends on whether the fee 1-4% is worse than taking out cash at the ATM and paying the ATM fees (unless these are reimbursed).
4) Also, if there is any doubt about the services to be received, a credit card is usually a better option in case there is a dispute.

Side note: Not having a credit card with a PIN (like we in the backward US have) complicates it a bit.

Credit cards are a tool that can be used or not used as the situation dictates. You use whatever is easier at the time of the transaction.

The answer is keep a cash reserve at x Euros and then use the credit card based on what the lowest cost to you is.

Looking at the replies and noting all the philosophy being expressed, I think it might be simpler.

This is just a business transaction so handle it as such.

1) Always keep 300 euros or so, so that you can pay in cash in case it's easier for you or the vendor doesn't want or strongly prefers (i.e. with a discount) to not take credit cards. If you can, replenish this in larger amounts (to avoid ATM charges) of smaller bills to make it easier to exchange.
2) If the vendor says they take credit cards, it never hurts to ask whether that is their preference or whether they discount for cash.
2) If you have a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees that will usually be the cheapest (again if the establishment takes credit to begin with)
3) If you have a credit card that charges a transaction fee then it depends on whether the fee 1-4% is worse than taking out cash at the ATM and paying the ATM fees (unless these are reimbursed).
4) Also, if there is any doubt about the services to be received, a credit card is usually a better option in case there is a dispute.

Side note: Not having a credit card with a PIN (like we in the backward US have) complicates it a bit.

Credit cards are a tool that can be used or not used as the situation dictates. You use whatever is easier at the time of the transaction.

The answer is keep a cash reserve at x Euros and then use the credit card based on what the lowest cost to you is.
I've never heard of a credit card in the US not having a PIN ever and I've lived here all my life. ?!?!? More than likely, many do not know what they have or are not familiar with banking in general.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My new Amex card has a microchip on its face just like my BNP Paribas debit card. I asked Amex what the pin code was and they said they have not implemented that system yet and the card can only be used as a swipe card for purchases, that system of purchasing goods in Europe is quickly disappearing for security reasons.

I realized I misspoke about my new Amex card, I should not have said it "can only be used as a swipe card for purchases" because one would assume it can still be used for cash advances at an ATM, I just never do that. That does require a 4 digit pin which is different from the pin needed to utilize the card in a microchip reader. Sorry.

Staying off topic with bystander. we have just experienced the "Pre Christmas Black Pub Days" where people who don't use the pubs go in in groups for their once a year event. They order drinks one a a time, ask for drinks that are not available, ask for the Guinness last, then add food (with delays while they ask each person what they want) and coffees, and finally flourish the dreaded card. All of this to the chagrin of the bar staff and the other dehydrating customers. Rant over, carry on as normal.

Oh Al - yes, yes and triple yes

The ghastly "once a year" amateur drinkers who are almost always female who so disrupt and disturb the deep set routines and timetables of the regular pub user
Looking like Ena Sharples or Minnie Caldwell they try to order Milk stout, Advocaat, rum and pep, port and black, Pony, Cherry B and other dire concoctions long since consigned to the pub dustbin....
And then to add to the misery of their disruptive behaviour, having forgotten their cards, they then try to pay with the small change, including halfpennies, they have been saving all year and from earlier times.......

Sorry Mods to continue the off-thread theme a little longer but in Al the Optimist I have found a kindred spirit who, so obviously, like me has also suffered from the same "Pre Christmas Black Pub Days".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK, I have enjoyed reading everyone's conjectures and opinions and justifications.

Here is the answer: CASH IS KING

Spain has NOT caught on to credit or debit cards in the way "most" European countries have. It's as simple as that. Punto, pelota. Sure, there are always exceptions but normally "Cash is King" here. I have lived here for 15 years (and spend probably 2/3 months in Norway and the USA so I can compare the countries). Norway HATES cash. You can't even catch a bus/tram with coins! A 10 euro/ USD/15 USD coffee/cake would be covered by a card. You pay your parking charge electronically. In Norway, a taxi is a card purchase too - electronically mapped/charged by a computer. We only got meters here 5/6 years ago......never mind card-readers in taxis!

In the UK, you buy 30 euros worth of groceries at a supermarket and they offer you "cash back" so you can even walk away with 20, say, euros......and your card is hit for 50 euros. In Florida, I can't think I have paid cash for coffee for ages. It's a flash of the Starbucks card. In my local bar here in Spain, big bar/6 staff/200 covers they do not take cards. Punto, pelota. (They do at the immigrant shop net door. Great if you want to pay 3 times the going rate for a litre of juice!!!)

So, whatever the reasons (another story) for another day .................... CASH IS KING.

(All good advice above - ONLY use ATMs within banks and only during working hours. Make sure you let your home branch know you will be in Spain and ensure that you have a 4 digit PIN. Do that and you will be fine.)

!!Buen camino a todos!!

I enjoy offering comparisons about life in the US versus France with my friends on both sides of the Atlantic. In Biarritz we all use cash for almost everything we consume, if you use a card it is going to be with a debit card so your bank account has the cost of the purchase deducted the next day. Therefore we are "living in the day" as far as our personal finances are concerned.
When I come to the US during the winter, I am amazed at watching everyone living their life on cards that they should be paying for their purchases/balance each next month (or longer, huh) and that sounds very dangerous to me. In my humble opinion using a card to purchase a cup of coffee at Starbuck's or a hamburger at McDonald's is just insane.
So my question to my friends always ends up, who has the better economy? Do the Europeans who are living within their means or the Americans who living a month in advance by using plastic?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I come to the US during the winter, I am amazed at watching everyone living their life on cards that they should be paying for their purchases/balance each next month (or longer, huh) and that sounds very dangerous to me. In my humble opinion using a card to purchase a cup of coffee at Starbuck's or a hamburger at McDonald's is just insane.
So my question to my friends always ends up, who has the better economy? Do the Europeans who are living within their means or the Americans who living a month in advance by using plastic?

Well, you know there are many cards that give you cash back on purchases. So not everyone who pays with a card is living on the edge. I know folks who get all their plane tickets with the points they earn by always using a card. And I use a debit card for everything when I'm home, so don't assume it's all credit without sure payment.

EDIT Also, it's possible to set up your bank account so that all those credit card charges are paid immediately, as soon as they post to the card account.

Incidentally, I thought the same as you for a long time. Then I found out they're actually mostly just smarter than I am. :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I never said anyone was living on the edge by using a credit card but then I disagree with the concept of profiting from the cash back offers because the benefits are pretty slim. I for one use my credit card for major purchases like airline tickets but I also budget my expenses and after more years than I want to mention buying plane ticket, it still might take me 3 more to get a free ticket on a plane that is not blacked out for a FF user. I have no argument with you.

- the beautiful rain falls on the just and the unjust equally -

Mostly true, of course, but I am reminded of, I think it was Hilaire Belloc's poem: "the rain it raineth on the just and on the unjust fella, but more upon the just because the unjust hath the just's umbrella"

Wow I've lived and living in Spain for the past 6yrs and cash all the way. And who cares if the owner pays all his taxes or not that's what accounts are for and tax collectors this is about a long walk and cash is far easier for all. Having four people paying for ther coffee and tortilla each by card in a bar just took so long life's to short rank over. Have a great time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back