• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Called to the Camino

JerryTexas52

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I know there are many reasons for persons to walk the Camino. Some have religious reasons and consider themselves pilgrims in the way that ancients who walked it must have. Has any had or have know someone who has had a "calling" to walk it? I am a retired pastor and have considered walking it for years but lately I have been experiencing feelings that I would think of as a "calling" to walk the Camino as a pilgrimage. I am not a Roman Catholic. I am a Protestant but that does not matter. Feeling a calling to religious purpose transcends human designation. It provides a purpose that one may need in order to be prepared for what may come later in life. I would be interested in hearing from others who may have felt some form of a call to walk the Camino. I am 68 and still in great physical condition, walk miles daily for exercise and eat healthy. I want to consider walking the Camino by the time I turn 70.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jerry. I can’t claim to have had a ‘calling’ but something or combination of things inspired and motivated me to walk my first Camino ten years ago and many times since. Sounds like you have more than enough inspiration and motivation. Buen Camino 🙏

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I am not sure that I am "called" to the Camino. It is not a word that I use in relation to myself, but I realize that there are many different ways that we can describe our urges! I suppose that we could get into a discussion of what that word means, but we need to be careful there!

The Camino is attractive to me, and I believe that I gain much from it. That is reason enough, given that I am in the fortunate position of being able to do it.

You might find some interesting discussions on the threads that are tagged "why the camino" and "pilgrims & pilgrimage". Just click on those tags that have been added to this thread at the top under the thread title.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Has any one had or have know someone who has had a "calling" to walk it?
The Camino called me.

I was sitting on the local hiking club's bus going to a tramp one day in January 2019 when two sisters sitting in front of me in the bus started talking about a walk that they are planning on Spain in April, something called the Camino.

In that moment, I knew that I would walk it and that I needed to walk it sooner rather than later. At that time I didn't know what the Camino was or even how to spell it. Later that day, after the hike, I asked them about their trip but for some reason they didn't seem to want to explain any details of their trip and so when I got home I started Googling it.

I discovered that I had heard of it before but hadn't recognised it. A friend had done some sort of walking trip to Spain where you walked through beautiful old Spanish villages and that it had some sort of religious background. I hadn't connected the two until that moment.

I am not sure how to describe what it felt like to be called but while sitting on that bus that day and overhearing that conversation changed something and from then on there was no question that I would not do this pilgrimage, but many questions about how I would do it.

After many adventures I walked the Camino Frances in May, 2019.

I am cobbling together notes of my departed Camigo from when I helped him edit daily posts home (Spring 2014) that may be relevant to your question....

"On occasion I ask pilgrims why they are making the trek, and most often they respond, I don´t know. I understand, as being on pilgrimage is countercultural, so unusual for our time."

"Many, like me, feel called to do this. I don´t hesitate to say I feel called by God to make the Camino, although God (as usual) has been egregiously short on the details. For now it is enough that I pray for a deeper relationship with God...."

On my first Camino, in 2012, it was not clear to me whether I was called or rather compelled. (Certain circumstances of my travel made it difficult to discern.)

About Ponferrada, I figured out that it did not matter....it was (perhaps) never really going to be about me anyway.

Nine years and several Caminos on... though I have learned a lot, the large mystery remains....

Given a definite "What" - - and that life is asking you "When" - - then perhaps demanding an answer to "Why?" is the least advisable response. One might miss even a Divine directive. (There's precedent for that. NKJV 1 Kings 19:11-13)

YMMV

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know there are many reasons for persons to walk the Camino. Some have religious reasons and consider themselves pilgrims in the way that ancients who walked it must have. Has any had or have know someone who has had a "calling" to walk it? I am a retired pastor and have considered walking it for years but lately I have been experiencing feelings that I would think of as a "calling" to walk the Camino as a pilgrimage. I am not a Roman Catholic. I am a Protestant but that does not matter. Feeling a calling to religious purpose transcends human designation. It provides a purpose that one may need in order to be prepared for what may come later in life. I would be interested in hearing from others who may have felt some form of a call to walk the Camino. I am 68 and still in great physical condition, walk miles daily for exercise and eat healthy. I want to consider walking the Camino by the time I turn 70.
when Camino calls, you reply by doing.

Samarkand.

I am 68 and still in great physical condition, walk miles daily for exercise and eat healthy.
It sounds based in this comment that all you need to do now is put your “calling” into an action plan and get to Spain. Regardless of age, being healthy and exercising regularly are the key ingredients for you to successfully travel The Way. I was in a similar situation at the age of 65. Making the decision to head to SJPP to start my Camino was one of my “best” life decisions. I now experience the “call” to return. This coming spring will by my sixth trek to SdC. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unless you go, you will never know what called you to Camino; so go!!!!!!
(or it will drive you nuts forever;the walk with luck will give you the answer)
Buen Camino
Woody

Just as I am called to follow The Way in every other aspect of life by living out what Jesus said were the first and second greatest commandments, I've found that my desire to walk Caminos is an extension of following/living out my faith. Camino is like visiting a natural spring when everyday life wears me down and leaves me thirsty for more.

It creates new opportunities to be awed, humbled, and thankful, and to literally walk beside others and be given the opportunity to minister to their needs, most simply through listening to them, speaking words of encouragement, and by offering friendship (when wanted) so they know they are not alone in this world.

I did not have a religious calling; however, every fiber in my being was telling me to walk this path. My first one was in 2012 when I was 65 years old and did it solo. I've done 2 more enjoying time with friends and meeting others. I have the same pull now to walk next year. Step into it. You will never regret it no matter what your intention.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
JerryTexas, I would say if I felt a calling I would definitely walk the camino! You had a calling to be a Pastor, and if you feel a calling now, I would think our Lord has something specific he's wanting to show you.

I know how you feel. I went for a sense of adventure and spirituality, but not as a religious pilgrimage. As my departure date came closer, in the back of my mind, I was nervous and anxious. However I had a stronger desire that I had to do this. Having completed the Camino, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I have a strong desire to go back. I hope your Camino is everything you desire. Buen Camino.

Hi Jerry. Walking the Camino was a lurking desire since I met someone from Australia going to SJPP while on holiday in France. It took nearly 30 years but the calling always stayed with me. On my 65th I walked the Frances. I walked it alone. At times it was grueling. At times incredibly joyous. Walking in silence I talked with Him often. I'm feeling the desire to go again so I am doing it next year for my 70th. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I am not sure that I am "called" to the Camino. It is not a word that I use in relation to myself, but I realize that there are many different ways that we can describe our urges! I suppose that we could get into a discussion of what that word means, but we need to be careful there!

The Camino is attractive to me, and I believe that I gain much from it. That is reason enough, given that I am in the fortunate position of being able to do it.

You might find some interesting discussions on the threads that are tagged "why the camino" and "pilgrims & pilgrimage". Just click on those tags that have been added to this thread at the top under the thread title.
Thanks to you and all the others who have shared their comments regarding this idea of calling. I experienced the call to ministry at the age of 37 having been an educator for 16 years. I yielded to that call by giving up my job and going to seminary and then served as a pastor for the next 30 years before retiring. I have been having feelings similar to what I experienced as I gave up my job and prepared for ministry, something I could not put aside. I have been experimenting with the idea of walking the camino but have been wanting to explore the topic thoroughly before committing myself to a date. I appreciate you all. I sense community as well as motivation to be devoted to a pilgrimage.

have been wanting to explore the topic thoroughly before committing myself to a date.
The Camino is not always a transformative experience. It wasn't/isn't for me. I suggest that too much exploration and analysis may lead to expectations that could be problematic. If it appeals to you, just go for that long walk.

Hey Jerry, I think the desire to go on a Camino can become captivating, haunting (even obsessive), regardless of what your reasons or motives for going might be. It also has a bit of an additive quality, where we try to capture some of the "magic" of it over and over. As other forum members have already, I would caution you not to put "too much weight on it", let it be whatever it's supposed to be, for you.

For what it's worth, I have been in Ministry of some form or another for over 40 years, being Ordained in 1989 (and us Catholics always talk about vocations and being called), my experience of being drawn to Spain was as much as a "call" as any other endeavor in my life.

I know for many Pilgrims, the experience may not be revelatory or transformative, but it was for me. I always feel like I'm drifting into sounding like "Yoda" when I say this, but; the Camino has it's own movement and Spirit, and if it's meant to happen, it will... how and when it's supposed to. Hope you make it over there and enjoy it. Peace, Bob

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I can absolutely say I was “called” to do this. I found out about the Camino for the first time in June and realized that I had had signs before that which I didn’t notice. After finding out about it, I became obsessed with it and started reading everything I could, book after book about others experience on the trail. And I searched documentaries, movies, you tube, blogs…everything. I felt like I couldn’t even do anything else in my life until I walked the Camino first. By July I had my plane reservation and I started walking 9/15 from St. Jean Pied de Port and I am 15 km away from Santiago as I type and will be there tomorrow. I’m doing it for spiritual reasons solely and was determined to complete it no matter how long it took me. I’m 58 years old and at a crossroads in my life. I’m certainly not the only one I know who has had this “calling”. I truly believe it does mean something important when you get it.

Hey Jerry, I think the desire to go on a Camino can become captivating, haunting (even obsessive), regardless of what your reasons or motives for going might be. It also has a bit of an additive quality, where we try to capture some of the "magic" of it over and over. As other forum members have already, I would caution you not to put "too much weight on it", let it be whatever it's supposed to be, for you.

For what it's worth, I have been in Ministry of some form or another for over 40 years, being Ordained in 1989 (and us Catholics always talk about vocations and being called), my experience of being drawn to Spain was as much as a "call" as any other endeavor in my life.

I know for many Pilgrims, the experience may not be revelatory or transformative, but it was for me. I always feel like I'm drifting into sounding like "Yoda" when I say this, but; the Camino has it's own movement and Spirit, and if it's meant to happen, it will... how and when it's supposed to. Hope you make it over there and enjoy it. Peace, Bob
Thank you Bob. I appreciate your words. I continue to reflect upon the call as I perceive it and what walking the Camino may mean to my life. Buen Camino. Jerry

Hello JerryTexas52,
I live in Minnesota and I’m currently 67. I was compelled to go in 2014, called by God to return in 2015, and God confirmed his calling in 2015 and 2016. The Camino has become my personal ministry. I have returned to Europe 1 to 3 times every year since 2014. I have traversed by foot or bike a total of or 3400 miles. I don’t tell you this to brag but I want you to know how excited I am to have this new purpose in my life. God has used the Camino as a conduit to change my life. Now he is using me as a conduit to speak the truth into the lives of others. I consider myself only as a planter of seeds.

I now walk the Camino with the sole purpose of making myself available to witness to whoever God places in my path and makes them available to hear my testimony. Like you, I’m a protestant but unlike you, I am a lay person and have never been interested in missions or street witnessing at all prior to the Camino.

Now I have a passion for the youth and revival of western Europe. The people I get to share with from eastern Europe and the Far East are like icing on the cake of joy.

If you’re interested, I would love to share the details of some of my experiences and lessons learned from them. Make a reply to this post and I will gladly send a private message with my contact info.

Jeff

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know I had an inexplicable call to walk a Camino. It came seemingly out of nowhere and was so compelling that I felt I had no choice not to do it. It was a struggle to find the money at that time to fly from Australia, but fortunately my husband tuned into my insistence and we travelled to Portugal in May 2016. He is a walker, I am not at all, so I had needed to improve my fitness over a few months beforehand. I also had a Catholic upbringing but in no sense called myself religious. Nevertheless the day before we flew to Europe I scrabbled to find my grandmother's rosary beads to take with me. She, my mother and my aunt accompanied me in my heart the entire Way. We chose the Portuguese coastal, because I doubted I could manage anything longer. At a still moderately unfit 73 I won't pretend it wasn't difficult, and no illumination came to me about why I was called but it was an achievement I am extremely proud of. Fast forward to September of that same year. I required surgery and a few days after it I became critically ill with severe sepsis after an infection ravaged my body. It was touch and go but as I was pulling through and about to leave ICU, a doctor said to my husband that most women my age would not have survived. It was only my fitness that saved me. My answer to the Why.

Hello Jerry, I felt called to walk the Camino back in 2012. I was watching the the film "The Way" at a film group in a Carmelite priory. I am not a Catholic but was inspired by much that their saints have brought us. I enjoyed the film and as the credits were scrolling at the end I was weeping silently and my "heart" was deeply stirred. I knew that I had to walk this Camino. It took 2 years to find a six week slot in my working life then. I was greatly blessed by my experience and have done two other Camino since. Go for it.

For me, I had a calling, but once you have walked the Camino pilgrims also start experiencing what I call the "Camino Curse". You will start planning your next Camino in Spain. Those who have not experienced the Camino do not understand it, but those who have know what I am talking about. By the way, I am retired clergy as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Jerry, I felt called to walk the Camino back in 2012. I was watching the the film "The Way" at a film group in a Carmelite priory. I am not a Catholic but was inspired by much that their saints have brought us. I enjoyed the film and as the credits were scrolling at the end I was weeping silently and my "heart" was deeply stirred. I knew that I had to walk this Camino. It took 2 years to find a six week slot in my working life then. I was greatly blessed by my experience and have done two other Camino since. Go for it.
Hi Robert. Thanks for sharing your experience. I was moved by different parts of the film also. I felt a calling before watching it but this also spoke to me. I am planning to walk it soon. Buen Camino.

For me, I had a calling, but once you have walked the Camino pilgrims also start experiencing what I call the "Camino Curse". You will start planning your next Camino in Spain. Those who have not experienced the Camino do not understand it, but those who have know what I am talking about. By the way, I am retired clergy as well.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think that when one has received a call to ministry earlier in life, then one can recognize that same call in one's life in regard to other areas of life. We may be retired from active ministry but we are still in ministry daily in our world. Blessings.

Hello JerryTexas52,
I live in Minnesota and I’m currently 67. I was compelled to go in 2014, called by God to return in 2015, and God confirmed his calling in 2015 and 2016. The Camino has become my personal ministry. I have returned to Europe 1 to 3 times every year since 2014. I have traversed by foot or bike a total of or 3400 miles. I don’t tell you this to brag but I want you to know how excited I am to have this new purpose in my life. God has used the Camino as a conduit to change my life. Now he is using me as a conduit to speak the truth into the lives of others. I consider myself only as a planter of seeds.

I now walk the Camino with the sole purpose of making myself available to witness to whoever God places in my path and makes them available to hear my testimony. Like you, I’m a protestant but unlike you, I am a lay person and have never been interested in missions or street witnessing at all prior to the Camino.

Now I have a passion for the youth and revival of western Europe. The people I get to share with from eastern Europe and the Far East are like icing on the cake of joy.

If you’re interested, I would love to share the details of some of my experiences and lessons learned from them. Make a reply to this post and I will gladly send a private message with my contact info.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Witness happens in many ways. I chose to live my life among others and let them know of my care and concern. I am glad that you received a call to be actively speaking to others about God. I send you blessings. Jerry

Once called there is no escaping! Once the thought entered my head everyone I met or books I read connected me to the Camino. Once I decided to do it fear set in, I had a dream in which I was told to fear not …. My dream was so like what had happened to Daniel in the lions den, there were other things I can’t explain. I was 67 years old and had never done anything like this before. I walked my first Camino a few months after in 2016. Listen to your heart.

Hi Jerry T,

I first heard about the Camino in a friend's house and within 1 minute of hearing about it I simply knew I was going. No ifs or buts it was simply a matter of time. So 2 years later I went. I have since been to the Camino on 7 different occasions. So was I called? I think I was propelled!! And when I got there it felt like this is where I am supposed to be and this is what I am supposed to do. I have loved every step.

As for being a Protestant, no one minds, no one cares. You are just another Peregrino on your life's journey, a journey that is deeply personal and can only be travelled by you. And wow, such a treasure to walk across Spain on that journey. Go for it Jerry. Do not live with the regret of not doing that which is calling to you.

Aidan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jerry T,

I first heard about the Camino in a friend's house and within 1 minute of hearing about it I simply knew I was going. No ifs or buts it was simply a matter of time. So 2 years later I went. I have since been to the Camino on 7 different occasions. So was I called? I think I was propelled!! And when I got there it felt like this is where I am supposed to be and this is what I am supposed to do. I have loved every step.

As for being a Protestant, no one minds, no one cares. You are just another Peregrino on your life's journey, a journey that is deeply personal and can only be travelled by you. And wow, such a treasure to walk across Spain on that journey. Go for it Jerry. Do not live with the regret of not doing that which is calling to you.

Aidan
Thanks for your good words, Aidan. I appreciate hearing part of your story. I do feel called to walk it and I want to try to go in 2022. Thanks for sharing with me. Jerry

I don't know. I certainly wasn't called to my first Camino - I think. I read that it existed. I was living in Spain at the time. It pushed all of the buttons of my interests. I had a bit of vacation. Was that a calling? It just seemed the obvious use of my time. I always meant to go back and do it "properly" but, to be frank, I didn't think about it much at all for a couple of decades while I was going about my life, building a family and a career.

Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't get it out of my mind. Was that a calling?

I don't know. I certainly wasn't called to my first Camino - I think. I read that it existed. I was living in Spain at the time. It pushed all of the buttons of my interests. I had a bit of vacation. Was that a calling? It just seemed the obvious use of my time. I always meant to go back and do it "properly" but, to be frank, I didn't think about it much at all for a couple of decades while I was going about my life, building a family and a career.

Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't get it out of my mind. Was that a calling?
I believe so, yes. And now you're here...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back