• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coffee

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Best is to go to a place where workers have their breakfast. Often simple restaurants for a coffee, croissant or churo .Often to be found at industrial area’s ( so called polígono industrial) or downstairs in big office buildings in big cities and towns
Spanish are not used to have breakfast at home and also their lunch they eat in such a restaurant ,so called menu del dia
A three course menu with a drink for about 10 €. If there are lots of workers inside at lunchtime,it offers good quality .
Only during weekdays

In Portugal they adopted the “ menu do dia” often a few euros cheaper than in Spain
If you meet such a restaurant that serves el menu del dia, forget restaurants that offer pilgrim menus

Last edited:
I've always stopped at this place

Restaurante Confiteria Asturcón Yagual​

It's situated right on the trail IIRC and has nice cakes and coffee

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Best is to go to a place where workers have their breakfast. Often simple restaurants for a coffee, croissant or churo .Often to be found at industrial area’s ( so called polígono industrial) or downstairs in big office buildings in big cities and towns
Spanish are not used to have breakfast at home and also their lunch they eat in such a restaurant ,so called menu del dia
A three course menu with a drink for about 10 €. If there are lots of workers inside at lunchtime,it offers good quality .
Only during weekdays

In Portugal they adopted the “ menu do dia” often a few euros cheaper than in Spain
If you meet such a restaurant that serves el menu del dia, forget restaurants that offer pilgrim menus
That's a great tip, thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way.
Saludos
Nando
Maybe you can find your own drip filter in a store in a larger town as well as coffee. That is my plan anyway from decades of travel: Bring own mug, heating element, drip filter and coffee! Sometimes you can find a decent instant coffee to make it simpler but not my favorite. When you need that coffee first thing in the morning and nothing is open you just do LOL! Also a way to save a few euros if on a budget that can be spent on something else!

Last edited:
Microwave with a cup of hot water. My electric coils always burn out and it is hard to source a replacement. We almost always stay at an albergue with a kitchen or at least a microwave.
I was planning to bring a coil on my Sanabres, this fall. Any idea why your coil kept burning out? Does the complete coil have to be submerged?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Don’t do what I did. Late at night I made a hot drink with my coil, and then pulled the plug out. Read my book for an hour. There was no bedside table lamp, so I had to get up to switch the top light off. As I returned to bed I saw a red glow on the other side of the bed . . . I had inadvertently unplugged my cell phone, not the coil, which was hanging over the edge of a small wooden table. I was sleeping alone in a thatched reed hut at the time.

I still go cold when I think about it . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Microwave with a cup of hot water. My electric coils always burn out and it is hard to source a replacement. We almost always stay at an albergue with a kitchen or at least a microwave.
Yes, and important to get a coil for the EU and not the US in my case...poof, it was gone...also had one burn out in the US because I didn't have it submerged. Since then I have gone with the microwavable cup...at home and abroad.

Thank you for the suggestion. Usually I stay in a private pension or hotel which makes the microwave not an option. I guess I’ll have to try a get a durable electric coil or go without hot coffee if a cafe isn’t open.

Had you stayed in Albergue de la Santa Cruz, you would have been able to get coffee when the breakfast room opened at 0600😁

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the suggestion. Usually I stay in a private pension or hotel which makes the microwave not an option. I guess I’ll have to try a get a durable electric coil or go without hot coffee if a cafe isn’t open.
I’ve used a coil for years, since 2013 to be exact. I usually walk pretty untraveled caminos, and frequently there are no early morning café options for many kms. That makes it essential for me! I bought it in the US and taped on a Spanish adaptor plug (taped it so that I would not leave the adaptor plug in the wall when I unplugged the coil).

@mspath taught me the most important rule of using an electric coil — the coil must be fully immersed in water when you plug it in and when you unplug it. They won’t last forever in any case, but my second one (which @C clearly gave to me) has been going for six years and shows no signs of giving up the ghost. My first one fizzled out somewhere around Fuenterroble on the Via de la Plata.

My emergency morning caffeine stash is a dozen Starbucks sachets. Even hot tap water can satisfy. Every morning I thank God for the Ethiopians. Buen Camino
It takes a dozen Starbucks sachets to make a cup of "coffee"? Wow, I knew it was weak but still ;)

Another infamous multinational, Nescafé, sells sachets of 3 in 1 (instant coffee, creamer, sugar) and 2 in 1 (instant coffee and creamer). It's not really coffee but it's convenient to carry and it does contain caffeine.

Once upon a time…came across a vending machine in the early in the morning in Cizur Minor in 2018 (last Camino Frances… too busy after that one). It had a can of what we Aussies would call a flat white, and once ‘popped’ it was hot! The perfect amount of caffeine required to get going… now in 2024 I have cans of what is effectively is an iced ‘long black’ in my fridge in Brisbane….

A pilgrim adjusts to the situation.
You posted when it wasn't even 7 am yet!! Sahagun doesn't really wake up until about 9. If you want coffee, you should have some at the albergue before you leave -- many have vending machines. Alb. Santa Cruz has breakfast coffee in the dining room.
Worse comes to worst, carry a teabag with you, and use the hottest hot water you can get from a bathroom sink to make up an emergency caffiene fix in your water bottle.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I’ve used a coil for years, since 2013 to be exact. I usually walk pretty untraveled caminos, and frequently there are no early morning café options for many kms. That makes it essential for me! I bought it in the US and taped on a Spanish adaptor plug (taped it so that I would not leave the adaptor plug in the wall when I unplugged the coil).

@mspath taught me the most important rule of using an electric coil — the coil must be fully immersed in water when you plug it in and when you unplug it. They won’t last forever in any case, but my second one (which @C clearly gave to me) has been going for six years and shows no signs of giving up the ghost. My first one fizzled out somewhere around Fuenterroble on the Via de la Plata.
Love a thread where members of the electric coil club start showing up... ;)

May I ask which brand of coil are you using that has lasted
SIX years? woo hoo! That is a LONG time.
YES, some of us find our morning coffee VERY
important LOL! Gracias Camino friends for your
suggestions!

Yes, and important to get a coil for the EU and not the US
FYI: this past May while searching for a coil with an EU plug found out some things:
Illegal to buy in Spain. Legitimate electro doméstico shops are not allowed to sell them and face a large potential fine if they do. Even the “bazaar/tiendas de China” don’t sell them. I did find one in a hole in the wall hardware store in Madrid. It appeared ancient & it gave me the heebie jeebies.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
FYI: this past May while searching for a coil with an EU plug found out some things:
Illegal to buy in Spain. Legitimate electro doméstico shops are not allowed to sell them and face a large potential fine if they do. Even the “bazaar/tiendas de China” don’t sell them. I did find one in a hole in the wall hardware store in Madrid. It appeared ancient & it gave me the heebie jeebies.
GOOD to know. But I was planning to buy one from Amazon, either one
that works in Europe or use the adaptor, but the former is obviously
easier. THANKS for the warning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I started Camino-ing, this problem was pretty common. Being caught out with no coil or packets of instant my only recourse was to avoid other pilgrims until I found an open bar and downed a couple of cups.

When confronted with a cheery visage enquiring if I was not a "morning person", I generally replied, "Until I have a couple of con leche, kid, I ain't even a person."

B

Stop in the next small town? This winter I often had to make a cup of instant using coffee con leche packets. It's not great, but was better than none.
I do something similar while camping. Granted, every extra gram you're carrying is an issue, but I make a mixture of powdered milk, cinnamon, cayenne, cocoa, and a good quality powdered coffee (like Via), and have a mixture to just add hot water to, and I had something resembling a Mexican latte - quite drinkable! (On the Camino, I never had a problem finding coffee, but if you're worried you might be caught coffee-less and don't mind carrying extra "just-in-case" weight, you could mix some of this up.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
#TeamCoil4Ever you gotta do what you gotta do. Some of us need caffeine in order to get up and go find some caffeine! (Also useful for instant oatmeal, couscous, etc.)
#TeamCoil4Ever you gotta do what you gotta do. Some of us need caffeine in order to get up and go find some caffeine! (Also useful for instant oatmeal, couscous, etc.)
YES! I just ordered my coil from Amazon that includes adaptor. Many uses besides coffee, as mentioned by you! Soup, oatmeal, quinoa, couscous, etc. Also a good money-saver for preparing own meals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone has a different point of view, don't they?
PS: Actually, Edgar Cayce, the Sleeping Prophet, not a commie, said black coffee was healthy.
I have been muscle-tested for organic black coffee and it came out positive. We all have
different biology. Blessings.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Coffee is a Commie plot to pollute the purity of our precious bodily fluids.
As someone who has tasted less than 1/2 cup of coffee in my entire life--it is the most godawful taste imaginable--I posted my comment to throw a bit of humor into the conversation. The 🤣 was deliberately left out as I was curious to see if anyone would notice my attempt at humor.

Thanks for noticing @Jeff Crawley.

I should give a nod to Stanley Kubrick's classic film, Dr. Strangelove. (One particular scene🤣).

Hey Jeff,
Humor is ALWAYS appreciated!

However, given the volatile, socio-politically correct times
we are in, it is sometimes even hard for a sarcastic old timer
like me to discern what is humor and what is righteousness
LOL! Glad to hear it was actual humor and not someone
really meaning those words! Thanks for clarification!

That being said, yes, for the unaddicted, coffee can have
a terrible flavor. But for those of us relying on it for a life-
time to get us up and keep us moving, it is too late! It is
an acquired taste! Hope someone is laughing here :)
I guess I better revisit Dr. Strangelove as well!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Recently I visited Azerbaijan where I met a women from the Netherlands. She told me of the time she visited her son now living in Seattle, Washington (US).
He took her to see the original Starbucks Coffee Shop and for a cup of Starbucks finest coffee. My new friend made it plain to me that Starbucks coffee was not coffee! She did not finish the cup of whatever it was she was served.

Recently I visited Azerbaijan where I met a women from the Netherlands. She told me of the time she visited her son now living in Seattle, Washington (US).
He took her to see the original Starbucks Coffee Shop and for a cup of Starbucks finest coffee. My new friend made it plain to me that Starbucks coffee was not coffee! She did not finish the cup of whatever it was she was served.
Even when I was learning how to roast green coffee, my worst experiments were STILL better than that asphalt-flavored brew.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My taste buds are not that well honed that I would reject a Starbucks or any other chain coffee when that is all there is to be had. But it's always nice to be home and be able to get to places where I do like the coffee they serve.

Illegal to buy in Spain.
I’m wondering where you read or heard that, because there are lots of them sold on amazon.es and in Spanish ferreterías online - just search calentador por inmersion. Carrefour and Worten both sell them online, and I’d be very surprised if big chains were selling illegal products.

I’m wondering where you read or heard that, because there are lots of them sold on amazon.es and in Spanish ferreterías online
It may sound inaccurate but this was my experience in April 2024. In Santiago on Rua Caldeireria off Preguntorio, I was given this information in person at 2 separate stores. Same thing in 3 small places in Madrid.
I didn’t try El Corte Inglés or Carrefour or online.
I would love to know if anyone has bought one recently in person.

It may sound inaccurate but this was my experience in April 2024. In Santiago on Rua Caldeireria off Preguntorio, I was given this information in person at 2 separate stores. Same thing in 3 small places in Madrid.
I didn’t try El Corte Inglés or Carrefour or online.
I would love to know if anyone has bought one recently in person.
I think the best option would be to buy one in the US and use duct tape to tape the adaptor plug to the US plug. I only use my coil in Spain or Portugal, so I just leave the plug firmly attached and it works great.

I think the best option would be to buy one in the US and use duct tape to tape the adaptor plug to the US plug. I only use my coil in Spain or Portugal, so I just leave the plug firmly attached and it works great.
And make sure it has dual voltage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Charbucks

This is a bit off topic, but over 25 years ago I visited Seattle and my sister then living there had a ticket for a tour of the Starbucks factory, and guided coffee tasting, purchased at a fundraising auction for the children's school.

And off we went.

It was not a regular thing you could buy or buy into - I think it was a special for fundraisers. We were certainly the only two people there. Starbucks had not come to UK yet and had a hint of the exotic. And I was living in Kenya at the time and Starbucks was and remains unknown there.

And I had a cup of coffee which I can still taste, non-blended from Ethiopia, and it still stands out of one of my favourite cups of coffee ever.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi .. idly thinking and was wondering what sort of restrictions (personal lifestyle/ethics choices) you may drop when on Camino. Par ex: I rarely ever drink coffee - too much caffeine for me .. a...
Been binging on Rob's Camino YouTube page in prep for my own trek and he oftentimes says something along the lines of "For those who want to get their passport stamped..." which led me to wonder...
Please share your stories of Camino miracles that you experienced. I’ll be there this Fall and those stories get me motivated!❤️ Thank you Deenise
Just idle tboughts Wondering if in France and other surrounding countries that if there is an english barrier-s but not Spanish? Guessing the closer you get the better the outlook on that?
I belive to get the compostela one needs to have walked the last 100km and got two stamps per day. When was this rule introduced and was it controversial? Also, if someone has walked from St Jean...
Hello! My mom and I will be walking the Norte in September/October. I'd like to start a small blog to catalog our journey, and for our family back home to keep up with where we are/what we're...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back