• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dissect My Packing List...Go!

Shawnasong

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Here is my entire packing list. This is grim:

Total weight, including a full Nalgene bottle is 21.1 pounds. This also includes the few ounces of the clothes that will actually be on my body, not in my pack (doesn't include the shoes, though, because those will always be out of my pack).

ArcTeryx Bora 80L pack - 6lb 8oz.: This is just too damn big. I am considering bringing my stuff in a throw-away duffle and buying a smaller pack in Toronto. Costa Rica is astronomical - maybe my CR cohorts know of a secret spot with reasonable prices?

Nalgene filled - 2lb 10oz.: maybe I should just by a cheap plastic water bottle from the market and carry that.

Cell phone/charger/adapter - 8.9oz.
Dad's ashes - 1.3oz.: won't be with me the whole time
Tissues - 1.2 oz.
Journal and pen - 9.5oz
passport/copy/credit cards/cash - 2.9oz.
cap - 2.5oz.
leggings - 8.0oz.
2 underwear - 2.8oz.
1 sportsbra - 3.6oz
3 ankle socks - 3.1 oz.
1 light scarf - 2.3 oz.
Lycra shorts - 3.8 oz: I wear these under shorts for anti-chaffing!
synthetic long sleeve shirt - 5.2oz.
tank top - 3.4oz.
sleeping back in compression sack - 3lb 1oz.: I'm thinking of leaving this behind and buying a silk sleep liner in Toronto!
Sarong - 8.2oz: this is my towel, skirt, blanket, etc.; however, I do NOT like how heavy this is; suggestions?
fleece gloves - 1.6oz: not really bringing for the warmth, more for the padding with using the trekking poles
quick-dry shorts - 4.3 oz
convertible pants - 10.3 oz.: I do not love these pants.
windbreaker - 4.8 oz.
fleece vest - 10.7 oz: do I really need this? It IS my only source of warmth, really.
Rain poncho - 9.3oz: doubles as pack cover, because it's really big.
quick-dry short sleeve shirt - 4.1 oz.
Trekking poles - didn't weigh them
Biofreeze tube - 4.6oz: won't be with me the whole way
tiny toothbrush and paste - 1.3 oz
self-care kit - 0.7oz (ear plugs, cotton, eyeglass cloth)
Baking soda - 2.4oz (for laundry, hair cleaning, deodorant and teeth when tiny tube is done)
4 clothes pins - 0.1 oz.
washcloth - 0.8 oz.
flip flops - 9.3 oz.
Foot aid kit - 4.7oz = 8 blister treatment sterile cushions, 6 bandaids, Curasilk medical tape, ibuprofen, about 1 1/2 tablespoons vaseline, roll of moleskin, tiny tube antibiotic ointment, 2 inches of emery board instead of clippers)
All the plastic bags that everything is packed in - 3.0 oz.

Let me say in advance, that I appreciaLOVE all of your input and assistance. Gracias.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My comments in italics ;-)

ArcTeryx Bora 80L pack - 6lb 8oz. - I agree, complete overkill! You don't need 80l (that is expedition-sized!)

Nalgene filled - 2lb 10oz. - Buy 1-2 PET bottles on arrival

sleeping back in compression sack - 3lb 1oz.: I would buy a lighter sleeping bag in Toronto

Sarong - 8.2oz: this is my towel, skirt, blanket, etc.; however, I do NOT like how heavy this is; suggestions? - Check Asian/Chinese dollar stores and the like.

Biofreeze tube - 4.6oz: won't be with me the whole way - What for?

washcloth - 0.8 oz. - Use hands ;-)

fleece vest - 10.7 oz: do I really need this? It IS my only source of warmth, really. - Take it ;-)

leggings - 8.0oz./Lycra shorts - 3.8 oz: I wear these under shorts for anti-chaffing! - Either/or ;-)

Baking soda - 2.4oz (for laundry, hair cleaning, deodorant and teeth when tiny tube is done) - Can be bought in Spain when you need it!

Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nice list! Yes, that bag is huge! I'd definitely try to find something smaller. I think you could save some serious weight on the sleeping bag though. I'm glad I brought a sleeping bag just for the flexibility, but it was just over a pound I believe. There's always the option of just a liner, but it depends (to me) on when you are going and how you are planning your accommodations. A lightweight sleeping bag kinda gives you lot of flexibility, and can save you at least 1.5 pounds. Add that to a smaller bag and you'd be dropping some good weight.

I also brought bio-freeze. It felt so good on tired feet and sore muscles. I'd keep it ;)

I'm not a poncho guy. I like a lightweight coat and my bag had a raincover. I could use the lightweight shell for extra warmth in the morning too...

i keep a bandana attached to my belt loop and use it during the day for whenever I need to wipe my hands or face. Then in the shower I use the bandana as a wash cloth. That way it is always clean for the next day. It doesn't weigh much and I use it a lot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You should be able to get a 60 liter external frame pack that weighs half that of the Arcterix pack. Try Mountain Equipment COOP in Toronto.

Exchange the wind breaker for a rain coat.

Exchange the fleece for a down filled jacket. You don't need it during the day but you will want it at night ... particularly in the mountains.

Regarding buying stuff - Have you contacted other pilgrims from Costa Rica like @annakappa or @fraluchi ? Perhaps they could help you with some shopping tips or even lent/loan you a pack etc. We veteran pilgrims tend to accumulate a lot of gear over time ;-) SY

There's always the option of just a liner, but it depends (to me) on when you are going and how you are planning your accommodations.

Thanks for the feedback. So, I'm leaving on Tuesday from Costa Rica with a full day layover in Toronto. I will start walking from SJPdP on Friday morning, next week.

Originally, I really wanted the option to sleep outside, so I was bringing my very warm down sleeping bag and an ultralight inflatable sleep pad. Now, I'm just bringing the bag. I briefly considered a bag liner when I was in REI, but the price was so high that I didn't feel it was worth it. Now, with the packing weighing so much, I do think it is worth it. So, I will stay in albergues the whole way.

I think I'm leaving the sleeping bag at home and will acquire a sleep liner in Toronto. :)

i keep a bandana attached to my belt loop and use it during the day for whenever I need to wipe my hands or face. Then in the shower I use the bandana as a wash cloth. That way it is always clean for the next day. It doesn't weigh much and I use it a lot.
Good idea. I tore a strip off of my sarong that is useful for lots of things, but I didn't think of using it in the shower. It makes for a very good head/neck wrap.

Ditch the pack and get an Osprey, this one would probably work. http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/tempest-40-TEMPEST40_522.html Also that sleeping bag is overkill, If you can't find one under a pound I would consider just bringing a liner. I leave next week and I'm only bringing a 32 liter pack, I figure the more space in your pack the more you are tempted to bring. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Ditto on the Osprey Tempest. I use the Tempest 20 almost daily on local hikes. It's a great pack and I am looking at purchasing the larger version for next fall's Camino. Getting rid of the heavy sleeping bag and pack will drop pounds!

Also, it looks like there's a REI store in Toronto. You join for free and get a 10% of your purchase prices back at the end of the year. I use the credit for Christmas gifts!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a smaller, lighter backpack. If all else fails, you can buy one in SJPdP if that's where you are starting from.
Ditch the heavy sleeping bag and carry a liner instead. You can buy one of them in SJPdP as well.
Carry your water in cheap, plastic water/soda bottles. I have on my Caminos. I buy a couple in SJPdP and reuse them all the way to Santiago.

The thing about those cheap bottles, they can leach chemicals and are hard to clean, not to mention the amount of waste they produce. I am a fan of good quality reusable bottles that are 100% Free of BPA and BPS. Not to tell anyone how to live, but it helps to be aware.

Here is my entire packing list. This is grim: ... 21.1 pounds
Agreed!:eek: You are not setting yourself up for success, with this weight. Including food and water you should definitely be under 15 pounds.

Also, it looks like there's a REI store in Toronto.
I wasn't aware that there were any REI stores in Canada. We have a similar store called MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop). Membership is $5 (I think it is still the same).

Go to MEC in downtown Toronto - it will have everything you need. There is a Europe Bound store right across the street that also is a good source for some things. You'll need to prioritize your shopping or you will be overwhelmed in the short time you have available. I'd suggest:
  1. Backpack, under 40 L. Try MEC; if nothing there is quite right, go across the street to Europe Bound.
  2. Sleeping bag - For sleeping bag, consider this one at MEC, the Intrepid, which should be suitable for this time of year.
  3. Your journal is too heavy. Get a lighter one.
  4. The sarong is heavy. What is the fabric? I question the multiple uses, anyway. Have you tested it as a towel? Have you tried it as a skirt or blanket when it is wet from its use as a towel? :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agreed!:eek: You are not setting yourself up for success, with this weight. Including food and water you should definitely be under 15 pounds.

I wasn't aware that there were any REI stores in Canada. We have a similar store called MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop). Membership is $5 (I think it is still the same).

Go to MEC in downtown Toronto - it will have everything you need. There is a Europe Bound store right across the street that also is a good source for some things. You'll need to prioritize your shopping or you will be overwhelmed in the short time you have available. I'd suggest:
  1. Backpack, under 40 L. Try MEC; if nothing there is quite right, go across the street to Europe Bound.
  2. Sleeping bag - For sleeping bag, consider this one at MEC, the Intrepid, which should be suitable for this time of year.
  4. The sarong is heavy. What is the fabric? I question the multiple uses, anyway. Have you tested it as a towel? Have you tried it as a skirt or blanket when it is wet from its use as a towel? :rolleyes:
The MEC here where I live doesn't carry Osprey for some reason. I bought my pack at Atmosphere sports, they probably have them in Toronto. They also had a great sale on icebreaker shirts and socks recently so I loaded up.

Thank you! Yes, getting a lighter pack and sleeping bag. As for my journal, I agree about the weight. I even considered no journal and using my phone instead, but there's something special about pen and paper and being able to sketch. I will consider a lighter option. The sarong is made of typical sarong material. Lol! Whatever THAT is! I think it is a cotton blend. Yes, I have used as a towel and then wrapped as a skirt. Dries sort of quickly. Doesn't work as a blanket if it's wet. But, I agree too heavy! What to do instead? Maybe buy a super light towel...
Again, thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, you don't need a skirt, and you can use your poncho as an emergency blanket. You do need a towel. It doesn't need to be big and fluffy. Use your washcloth as the first water-remover, then a small travel towel to finish!
Okay, sorry sarong, you don't make the cut!

Thank you! Yes, getting a lighter pack and sleeping bag. As for my journal, I agree about the weight. I even considered no journal and using my phone instead, but there's something special about pen and paper and being able to sketch. I will consider a lighter option. The sarong is made of typical sarong material. Lol! Whatever THAT is! I think it is a cotton blend. Yes, I have used as a towel and then wrapped as a skirt. Dries sort of quickly. Doesn't work as a blanket if it's wet. But, I agree too heavy! What to do instead? Maybe buy a super light towel...
Again, thank you!

In regards to a towel, this is what I took and it was AWESOME. It gets crazy small, but unfolds to be a generous size towel (compared to what I saw being used around the albergues). Fast drying, easy to pack, and depending on the size it weighs in at 1.5 ounces. I think I ended up getting the Large one and it was perfect. Seriously it packs down surprisingly small and light.

As far as a pack, the Ospreys are great. My companions used them. I used an old gregory z40 that is my goto. Perfect size for me.

Sleeping bag, I had a heavier bag, but ended up picking up a bag from Cumulus. It was the most expensive thing I bought for the trip (but an awesome investment as I still use it), and I think it is at just 18 ounces. Packs up so small that the smallest compression sack I could find for it was still too big. The normal stuff sack was sufficient.

I'm a pen and paper fan, sounds like you are too. I'd bring your journal. Maybe a lighter journal or a moleskine cahier or volant will do the job, but you know what makes you comfortable to journal in!

As far as overall weight, it is something that I really planned around before I left and I ended up in a great spot, but nowhere near the 12pounds and less that I've seen around here. After the first day my body adapted to the extra weight (a camera and some extra batteries, etc...) and I didn't notice it. In fact, in retrospect I'd have rather added more weight and carried a completely different camera system. I'd do due diligence, but also not let it dominate your thought process as you prepare! You can always ditch stuff along the way/pick up what you need. But I think it is wise to take a cursory look at what you have and see where you can save some weight. 20+ pounds sounds a bit high, but only you know for sure. I'd say save weight where you can, and let the chips fall where they fall. A smaller bag and a new sleeping bag/liner will get you a long way in that weight savings!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
6lb 08oz - 2lb 00oz - ArcTeryx Bora 80L pack -* 35L main sack is ample - aim for under 2 lb *-
2lb 10oz - 2lb 00oz - Nalgene filled -* consider SmarTube and ordinary PET 1L bottle *-
0lb 09oz - 0lb 05oz - Cell phone/charger/adapter -* composite device with USB sockets 2.4 amp ex Amazon *-
0lb 02oz - 0lb 02oz - Dad's ashes - won't be with me the whole time
0lb 02oz - 0lb 02oz - Tissues
0lb 10oz - 0lb 00oz - Journal and pen -* use (smart) cell phone *-
0lb 03oz - 0lb 03oz - passport/copy/credit cards/cash
0lb 03oz - 0lb 03oz - cap
0lb 08oz - 0lb 00oz - leggings -* leave at home *-
0lb 03oz - 0lb 03oz - 2 underwear
0lb 04oz - 0lb 04oz - 1 sportsbra
0lb 03oz - 0lb 03oz - 3 ankle socks
0lb 02oz - 0lb 02oz - 1 light scarf
0lb 04oz - 0lb 04oz - Lycra shorts - I wear these under shorts for anti-chaffing!
0lb 05oz - 0lb 05oz - synthetic long sleeve shirt
0lb 04oz - olb 04oz - tank top
3lb 01oz - 0lb 04oz - sleeping bag in compression sack -* get the silk sleep liner in Toronto *-
0lb 08oz - 0lb 06oz - Sarong - this does four things but is heavy -* enquire of the fabric shops in Toronto *-
0lb 02oz - 0lb 02oz - fleece gloves
0lb 04oz - olb 04oz - quick-dry shorts
0lb 10oz - 0lb 00oz - convertible pants - I do not love these pants -* leave at home *-
0lb 05oz - 0lb 05oz - windbreaker -* take this one *-
0lb 11oz - 0lb 00oz - fleece vest -* leave at home - layer up with your other clothing *-
0lb 09oz - 0lb 090z - Rain poncho - doubles as pack cover, because it's really big -* double use is good *-
0lb 04oz - 0lb 04oz - quick-dry short sleeve shirt
Trekking poles - didn't weigh them -*
0lb 05oz - 0lb 00oz - Biofreeze tube - won't be with me the whole way -* leave at home *-
0lb 01oz - 0lb 01oz - tiny toothbrush and paste
0lb 07oz - 0lb 07oz - self-care kit - ear plugs, cotton, eyeglass cloth
0lb 03oz - 0lb 00oz - Baking soda -* buy when your need it *-
0lb 01oz - 0lb 00oz - 4 clothes pins -* leave at home *-
0lb 01oz - 0lb 01oz - washcloth
0lb 09oz - 0lb 09oz - flip flops
0lb 05oz - 0lb 05oz - Foot aid kit -* simplify makes it easier to find stuff as well as reducing weight *-
0lb 03oz - 0lb o3oz - All the plastic bags that everything is packed in

To make the addition easier I've tabulated your list and added my suggested weights with a comment.

I calculate your list as 21 lb 9 oz. My suggestions reduce that to 10 lb 6 oz (caution: I normally work in kg)

While working at the heaviest items first do also look at the wide range of things you have. I suspect the fewer things you have to worry about each morning, the better will you enjoy your pilgrimage.

Kia kaha (be strong, have courage, get going)

If you are going to MEC, and have limited time, do some advance window shopping on their their website. Virtually all of their products (except probably small items) are included in their web inventory, and you can even see if a particular product is likely to be in stock at that store. You can even order to pick up at the store. Returns are quite simple on the spot.

The pack at 6 lb 8 oz is about 4 pounds more than is normal 36 to 48 L is more than enough (ditch the pack)
The sleeping bag at 3 lb is 1.5 to 2 pounds too much. (get lighter bag or just go with sleep sac)

That would cut about 5+ pounds from your 21 pound pack weight to about 16 pounds.
Following some of the good advise above will cut a couple more pounds.

Without knowing anything about you or your ability to carry the weight....I can safely say that the 21 lb pack will be a burden that you will greatly regret. I have watch many folks struggle for days with smaller weights. Many end up ending their camino due to injury or just plain exhaustion.

Get rid of stuff now...not on the way. Start out with a easy to handle load and buy things you actually need and use along the way.
You really only NEED your shoes, socks and the clothes you are wearing...plus a sleep sac or something. Everything is just extra and perhaps nice to have.

Pick up every item and ask yourself if I need this or if I "might" need it. Put the might needs in a pile and then weigh it all. That is the stuff you can leave home and buy it on the way if you really need it.

Tough to do...but you will be very pleased with yourself in Spain.

BTW....I carry about 16 pounds and I do have stuff I really don't need. I can handle that weight without strain, but more than that is uncomfortable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First of all, do not take that pack!!!! I have an Osprey 35 lt and that is more than sufficient. I ordered it at REI and had it shipped here years ago. As far as I know, there are still no ladies packs on sale here inCosta Rica. ( sorry, but I can't lend it to you, because, even at this late date, we are still considering walking the Camino de Invierno, probably at the beginning of October.
I also can't visualuze weights in ounces any more! Left that behind when I left England 50 years ago! However, somewhere along the line, you certainly have too much weight. If you buy a new pack in Canada, then you could buy one of those microfiber towels too. They are very light weight. You will need a fleece once you approach October.
Your sleeping bag is far too heavy. I bought mine in Mas X Menos back in 2007 for c.10.000 , (I guess about $20). It's still going strong. It weighs just over 1 kg.
Don't take a pillow case, because the pillows in Spain are long ( the whole width of a single bed) and narrow. I put my multipurpose Arabic keffiyeh over the pillow at night and use it as a neck scarf during the day ( to avoid sun burning my neck - we have enough sun here, so I have no interest in getting a tan)!
As far as the water bottle is concerned - here ecology is put on hold and I buy a 600 ml bottle of water, which is refilled and used for many days, before being discarded.
You forgot the ear plugs!
If you need to discuss anything, PM me and I'll give you my cel. Phone number.
In the meantime, Buen Camino!

One thing I forgot to add and didn't see in your list is a money belt or similar to carry cards, main cash stash ect under your clothing. Buen Camino, SY

Here is my entire packing list. This is grim:

Total weight, including a full Nalgene bottle is 21.1 pounds. This also includes the few ounces of the clothes that will actually be on my body, not in my pack (doesn't include the shoes, though, because those will always be out of my pack).

ArcTeryx Bora 80L pack - 6lb 8oz.: This is just too damn big. I am considering bringing my stuff in a throw-away duffle and buying a smaller pack in Toronto. Costa Rica is astronomical - maybe my CR cohorts know of a secret spot with reasonable prices?

Nalgene filled - 2lb 10oz.: maybe I should just by a cheap plastic water bottle from the market and carry that.

Cell phone/charger/adapter - 8.9oz.
Dad's ashes - 1.3oz.: won't be with me the whole time
Tissues - 1.2 oz.
Journal and pen - 9.5oz
passport/copy/credit cards/cash - 2.9oz.
cap - 2.5oz.
leggings - 8.0oz.
2 underwear - 2.8oz.
1 sportsbra - 3.6oz
3 ankle socks - 3.1 oz.
1 light scarf - 2.3 oz.
Lycra shorts - 3.8 oz: I wear these under shorts for anti-chaffing!
synthetic long sleeve shirt - 5.2oz.
tank top - 3.4oz.
sleeping back in compression sack - 3lb 1oz.: I'm thinking of leaving this behind and buying a silk sleep liner in Toronto!
Sarong - 8.2oz: this is my towel, skirt, blanket, etc.; however, I do NOT like how heavy this is; suggestions?
fleece gloves - 1.6oz: not really bringing for the warmth, more for the padding with using the trekking poles
quick-dry shorts - 4.3 oz
convertible pants - 10.3 oz.: I do not love these pants.
windbreaker - 4.8 oz.
fleece vest - 10.7 oz: do I really need this? It IS my only source of warmth, really.
Rain poncho - 9.3oz: doubles as pack cover, because it's really big.
quick-dry short sleeve shirt - 4.1 oz.
Trekking poles - didn't weigh them
Biofreeze tube - 4.6oz: won't be with me the whole way
tiny toothbrush and paste - 1.3 oz
self-care kit - 0.7oz (ear plugs, cotton, eyeglass cloth)
Baking soda - 2.4oz (for laundry, hair cleaning, deodorant and teeth when tiny tube is done)
4 clothes pins - 0.1 oz.
washcloth - 0.8 oz.
flip flops - 9.3 oz.
Foot aid kit - 4.7oz = 8 blister treatment sterile cushions, 6 bandaids, Curasilk medical tape, ibuprofen, about 1 1/2 tablespoons vaseline, roll of moleskin, tiny tube antibiotic ointment, 2 inches of emery board instead of clippers)
All the plastic bags that everything is packed in - 3.0 oz.

Let me say in advance, that I appreciaLOVE all of your input and assistance. Gracias.

I am using a Kelty 65L external frame pack which weighs in at just a smidge over 4lbs. Internal frames for me just did not work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
HI Shawna, lots of really good suggestions.
I plan to take you to Sail, they have Osprey and a big selection of sleeping bags. It is closest to where I live. Check their website. MEC is a bit further, but we will have time if Sail doesn't have what you need and there are one or two other outfitters near by.
I have a really light weight sarong you can have. It worked as a wrap, pashmina, blanket, etc and its muslin so really light and fast drying. And I have a money belt you can have too.
I brought a water bottle my second time but the first time just bought a fresh, disposable one every day 500 ml I think, keep filling it for that day then got a new one the next day. I would go disposable again. I don't like throw away bottles but I knew it was clean as I bought a fresh one every day. Save the weight.
See you Tuesday!

Last edited:
I am using a Kelty 65L external frame pack which weighs in at just a smidge over 4lbs. Internal frames for me just did not work.
That's a big pack for the CF during the warmer months. I carried an REI 48L and even that was really too big and a lot of unused space in it when I walked. I've come to the conclusion that a 35-40L size pack is ideal.
Another advantage of the smaller packs is the ability to fly with them as carry-on's. Saves a lot of hassles at the airports and the possibility of lost luggage, which in the case of a Camino trip would really suck. My 48L when not packed 100% full easily fits in those carry-on dimension frames at the airport near the check-in counters, and I never had a problem fitting it in an overhead bin in the airplane.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No they don't, but Europe Bound across the street from the Toronto MEC does.
Hola, I agree with unloading this stuff and suggest you start with an Osprey, I have Kyte 36 and nice fit for a woman. load range is 11-18 Kg. If I have to be attached to this for 5 weeks or so, it better be light. Ordered my down, 15 oz. sleeping bag in Colorada US, and am delighted with its compact size, weighs nothing. Good luck and Buen Camino

I'm on the Camino right now, and I can tell you that it appears that most people are carrying much more weight than I am. When I left home my pack weighed about 14.5 lbs/6.5 kg.

I have had no problem whatsoever carrying my pack. No back or shoulder pain at all. Whereas those carrying heavier packs are. But I don't think that you need to go crazy trying to get down to a super low weight. If your pack fits you well, you should be able to carry 15-16 pounds easily. And something that I have found that makes a BIG difference is keeping your load as close as possible to your back by using the backpack compression straps.

I have a 36 liter Marmot pack that weighs just over two pounds. For bedding I have a silk liner at about 5 ounces, and a quilted down throw that weighs 7 ounces, which I really haven't needed because it's HOT right now.

Also important - the weight should sit on your hips, not your shoulders! Shoulder and chest straps are only meant to keep your back in place, you should be able to put 1-2 fingers between your shoulder straps and your shoulders. Buen Camino, SY

Ditto on the Osprey Tempest. I use the Tempest 20 almost daily on local hikes. It's a great pack and I am looking at purchasing the larger version for next fall's Camino. Getting rid of the heavy sleeping bag and pack will drop pounds!

Also, it looks like there's a REI store in Toronto. You join for free and get a 10% of your purchase prices back at the end of the year. I use the credit for Christmas gifts!

My bad...read google maps wrong and it was not REI that sells outdoor gear. Sorry!

That's a big pack for the CF during the warmer months. I carried an REI 48L and even that was really too big and a lot of unused space in it when I walked. I've come to the conclusion that a 35-40L size pack is ideal.
Another advantage of the smaller packs is the ability to fly with them as carry-on's. Saves a lot of hassles at the airports and the possibility of lost luggage, which in the case of a Camino trip would really suck. My 48L when not packed 100% full easily fits in those carry-on dimension frames at the airport near the check-in counters, and I never had a problem fitting it in an overhead bin in the airplane.

Mine loaded is about 8% of my body weight. I've had a smaller internal frame and trekked through Italy and Switzerland and it did not work for me. his Kelty 65 suits me.

€83,-
A million thanks to ALL of you. With your help, I have made excellent changes. I am leaving day after tomorrow to have a long layover in Toronto. Diane is my Camino angel there who will be helping me with the final details.
By all means, continue talking here, but I feel really well advised now.
Much love to you all.
Buen Camino,
Shawna

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back