• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does your dog deserve a Compostela??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madidi

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012 & 17: Fisterra Muxia 2013 & 2015: Ingles 2014: Madrid 2015: Salvador & Primitivo 2016
Last week in the Pilgrim Office there were disgraceful scenes when a so-called pilgrim demanded a Compostela for his dog. When he was refused one he subjected the office staff and the volunteer 'Amigos' on duty to a tirade of foul language, hand gestures and spitting. To their credit, a number of pilgrims waiting in the queue remonstrated with him as he left and demanded he behave properly.

Surely the most basic research into who is entitled to a Compostela would make it obvious that animals are not eligible. So if you MUST take your dog on your Camino, please do not expect it to receive its own Compostela and please do not abuse the Pilgrim Office staff when they rightly refuse to issue you with one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately there are "loonies" even on the Camino.

I feel very sorry for all the people at the Oficina del Peregrino who not only volunteer their time to help others but have to put up with people as the one mentioned in the OP. They do a great job, I tip my hat to them.:)

P.S. - was not referring to the Canadian dollar coin when I typed "loonie" :rolleyes:

Buen Camino!

I was around for this but thought he was refused the Compostella. I had seen him with his wife along the way and they were very nice.

I am shocked that he thought he should get one for their dog. Who would think that that would be acceptable?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sometimes those who own animals (Our two dogs recently both passed away after long lives) can be quite emotional when it comes to their pets; they are viewed as more than just animals, they are true companions and family members. When strong emotions come into play, oft times, clear thinking goes out the window. This is such a sad experience for those who work so diligently to serve pilgrims and I pity this poor man who behaved so badly when his love for his dog completely blinded him to his love for his fellow humans.

Last edited:
Our dog already has a nice passport for customs and immigration, and was an official witness at our wedding. I sure a compostelle would be nice, but that should come from st. Roch, not st James

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it was so important that the dog receive a Compostela perhaps the man could dedicate his own t0 his dog? My four legged walking companion is held in the highest regard also, he's like family and dedication to pets is admirable. It is reassuring to read that someone met the man, his wife and their dog and can confirm he was lovely but getting angry at the Pilgrim's Office and causing a scene isn't going to change the fact that pet's do not qualify. I suspect he should have done some research beforehand to avoid disappointment. May I be so bold as to say that he may need to go on a second pilgrimage and open himself up to some important life lessons in regards to unconditional respect and courtesy. I had no idea those in the Pilgrim Office were volunteers (bless them).

It's the migratory birds that I feel sorry for. Spain (and I suspect the Camino) is a staging post for many thousands who travel between Africa and Europe not once but TWICE each year. Some must end up in Santiago having completed a journey well in excess of 100kms. The number of humans (and indeed dogs and cats) milling around the Pilgrim Office makes for a threatening environment for migratory birds, and the requirement to present a stamped credencial also causes a range of difficulties.

Something has to be done.

I am very sorry for this particular pilgrim, but rules are rules. This is the first time i have heard of such abusive behavior towards member of staff and amigos volunteers. I have worked in the oficina del peregrino this past september as a volunteer hospitalero issuing compostelas.

The staff are employees of the pilgrim office. However the blue shirts with the welcome logos are volunteer (amigos) who gave up their time at their own expenses to provide services to the peregrino community in santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, it all gets a bit silly, doesn't it?
Some pilgrims pick up fleas [more than 100 kms from Santiago!]. Do they all deserve a compostela?!

It's the migratory birds that I feel sorry for. Spain (and I suspect the Camino) is a staging post for many thousands who travel between Africa and Europe not once but TWICE each year. Some must end up in Santiago having completed a journey well in excess of 100kms. The number of humans (and indeed dogs and cats) milling around the Pilgrim Office makes for a threatening environment for migratory birds, and the requirement to present a stamped credencial also causes a range of difficulties. Something has to be done.
Ah! But they haven't WALKED the last 100 kms, have they, Tyrrek!
If you permit flying, then all the passengers of Ryanair in Santiago Airport deserve a compostela :rolleyes: .....

Apart of what I think of taking a dog to the camino (not much!) here the translation of the Compostela, relevant bits in bold:

“The Chapter of this Holy Apostolic Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint James, custodian of the seal of Saint James’ Altar, to all faithful and pilgrims who come from everywhere over the world as an act of devotion, under vow or promise to the Apostle’s Tomb, our Patron and Protector of Spain, witnesses in the sight of all who read this document, that: Mr/Mrs/Ms…………………has visited devoutly this Sacred Church in a religious sense (pietatis causa).

Witness whereof I hand this document over to him, authenticated by the seal of this Sacred Church.

Given in Saint James of Compostela on the (day) …… (month) …… A.D. ……”

It is quite clear that a dog can't walk the Camino as an act of devotion, because of a vow or promise (to God, the Apostle) nor can it visit the cathedral devoutly in a religious sense. Perhaps, if it would be really necessary, the dog could receive the simpler certificate of having completed the Camino? But then, I agree with what others have said, about not taking a dog in the first place, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah! But they haven't WALKED the last 100 kms, have they, Tyrrek!
If you permit flying, then all the passengers of Ryanair in Santiago Airport deserve a compostela :rolleyes: .....
You're right. I knew there was a flaw in my reasoning somewhere. Still, they are unlikely to have caught a bus... ;)

Last week in the Pilgrim Office there were disgraceful scenes when a so-called pilgrim demanded a Compostela for his dog. When he was refused one he subjected the office staff and the volunteer 'Amigos' on duty to a tirade of foul language, hand gestures and spitting. To their credit, a number of pilgrims waiting in the queue remonstrated with him as he left and demanded he behave properly.

Surely the most basic research into who is entitled to a Compostela would make it obvious that animals are not eligible. So if you MUST take your dog on your Camino, please do not expect it to receive its own Compostela and please do not abuse the Pilgrim Office staff when they rightly refuse to issue you with one.

Seriously?? I love my dogs too, but whether a dog should be allowed a compostella or not (and I think not) there is no excuse to subject anyone to "a tirade of foul language, hand gestures and spitting"

€60,-

Sounds like the dog was the true pilgrim. Should he/she get a Compostela, perhaps not but it might be nice to have some sort of certificate to give to animals that walk the Camino with their humans or in the case of horses for their humans.

Bad behaviour on this chaps part - but many people have heightened emotions after slogging away so far - lets hope he calms down and regrets it.
BUT what a brill idea Waywalker 63 - an animal certificate. Yes they cannot set out with intent to walk a Camino - but they do set out to protect, support and cherish their owners along the way - and in the case of horses, do actually carry them too. Perhaps an enterprising animal rescue centre locally could print up some certificates in Spanish and Latin. Then pilgrims with horse, donkey or dog support, could fill in their animal's details and pay a small sum (3-5 euros) for the certificate. This would raise some funds that could be split between the Animal Rescue centre and the Pilgrim's office?!
I have spoken to Oaky (my dog) about this and he thinks it is a brilliant idea. He is even considering undertaking another Camino so that he can get a certificate - but he insists that it is a far shorter one this time as he is now getting long in the tooth...

I am quite sure that animals don't really care wether they get a compostella or not. Also, I am quite certain that no animal have ever embarked upon a Camino for any other purpose whatsoever other than because its owner said so and for no other reasons than the pet would go anywhere else...

And if any dog ever tells me he decided, all by himself, to come with his owner on the Camino to keep him company and give him support, well then he can have a compostella, fine by me, but then he should ask for it himself at the pilgrims office...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

What did the dog do?

My coin in the pot on the matter on hand would be did the dog walk the whole Camino with his boss - if so,I cannot see why the dog cannot receive a Compostela - we are making life very difficult for ourselves - love your neighbour/dog as you love yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

€149,-
Ok lads it's official we've lost the run of ourselves with demands for Compostelas for canines what next? Communion for cats and Baptism for baboons?
This is a case of the tail wagging the dog. I'd been harbouring thoughts of doing a bit of volunteering in the pilgrims office myself at some future date but if faced with abuse from the aforementioned pilgrim, or anyone else as mad as a bag of frogs, well frankly he/they would have been wearing his/their ass for a hat.......and I won't tell you where the Compostela might have ended up:oops:

Last edited:
Don't let this put you off the idea of volunteering as an Amigo: this was one such incident among many thousands of positive visits by well behaved peregrinos to the Pilgrim Office each week.

Buen Camino.

My coin in the pot on the matter on hand would be:Did the dog walk the whole Camino with his boss - if so,I cannot see why the dog cannot receive a Compostela - we are making life very difficult for ourselves - love your neighbour/dog as you love yourself.

I recall making a statement about my reasons for walking the camino.

I have heard tell of people refused a compostela for stating they walked the camino because they went with their wife ... on the basis of that not being a religious or spiritual reason.

So lets ask the dog the question ... (I admit this is getting needlessly idiotic) ... and if it is able to state that its reasons were other than being dependent on its abusive owner for making the decisions then give it a compostela.

Full disclosure: I still throw rocks at dogs not on their leash since returning home from the camino. So in fairness I might not be objective about this ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
....I can see that this thread has given us all paws for thought..........:D(sorry but I've been wanting to post that since I first saw the thread and this morning I just couldn't stop myself:oops:)

€60,-
I like that - cute certificate. I suppose there would have to be one for horses as well, and then bicycles ...... ? With priests wearing dog collars perhaps pilgriming dogs should surely wear priest collars?
Now, if the dog left home by itself, went to Roncesvalles and walked all the way, getting its passport stamped along the way, and then presented itself in the pilgrim's office - well, compostela time - until that day it is a just doggy treat and a nice stroke I think.

This is a photo taken at Roncesvalles of a priest and an alien explaining to a dog why it can't have a compostela but why the alien can - it is all down to sentience, self-awareness. (The dog looks a little upset)

priest-dog-alien_1626451i.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That looks more like the St Bernard Pass with the monastery in the background.

Yes - hence the St. Bernard dog ... however, had I written St Bernard Pass instead of Roncesvalles it wouldn't really have been a camino gag ...... (oh, and I'm not certain that either the spaceship or the aliens are real - it is possible that they have been added to the photo somehow)

Yes - hence the St. Bernard dog ... however, had I written St Bernard Pass instead of Roncesvalles it wouldn't really have been a camino gag ...... (oh, and I'm not certain that either the spaceship or the aliens are real - it is possible that they have been added to the photo somehow)

LOL. LOL! Really hoping they weren't real...... :D or I'm seriously rethinking my camino!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is a photo taken at Roncesvalles of a priest and an alien explaining to a dog why it can't have a compostela but why the alien can - it is all down to sentience, self-awareness. (The dog looks a little upset)
The alien has got the right idea. Although the dog does indeed look disappointed, as with most unfortunate situations such as this good communication early on manages expectations and reduces the risk of conflict. The dog could decide at that point whether or not it was worth continuing when (s)he was facing 790kms of bigotry, prejudice and sleeping in shacks.

The alien has got the right idea. Although the dog does indeed look disappointed, as with most unfortunate situations such as this good communication early on manages expectations and reduces the risk of conflict. The dog could decide at that point whether or not it was worth continuing when (s)he was facing 790kms of bigotry, prejudice and sleeping in shacks.

I get your point but it is not all prejudice against dogs on pilgrimage. This is a video of two pilgrim dogs eating from the pilgrim menu at Castrojerez this year ... they don't seem to be discriminated against .... of course, with videos you can't tell what has been left out, but these two seem ok .... why, the restaurant manager even displayed their national flag for them - now that isn't prejudice! mind you, they don't seem to have been invited in to join the rest of the pilgrims, so you may be right.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well - they had better table manners than many a pilgrim I've eaten with!!
Love the cert William and I do like that pilgrim alien - I wonder how many miles are on his credencial??

Well - they had better table manners than many a pilgrim I've eaten with!!
Love the cert William and I do like that pilgrim alien - I wonder how many miles are on his credencial??

You can walk the Camino and you can ride a bike and even ride a horse but doesn´t say anything about using a flying saucer.:rolleyes:

Buen Camino!

I have just found this thread. Apologies for being so belated in commenting.

When I was volunteering at the pilgrim office in Oct, a pilgrim told me that he was going to apply for a compostela on behalf of his dog. The dog had his own credential and had sufficient stamps, and he had also walked the required distance. When I replied that the dog would not be granted a compostela, the pilgrim was disappointed. He said that his dog "really wanted one". I am sure that the pilgrim was devoted to his dog but understanding what the dog was "thinking" seemed a little far-fetched to me. So I changed tack and told the pilgrim that if the dog could fill out the form as all pilgrims must before they are awarded a compostela, then he would get one. This attempt at levity was also poorly received.

But he took the news better than the person whose disgraceful behaviour precipitated this thread. I came in to the pilgrim office at the end of that episode. He was still in the courtyard yelling obsenities against the camino. His wife had fled in tears, presumably from sheer embarrasment.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€149,-
Like Pieces said, the dogs don´t care about Compostelas. It´s all about the people and their egos and projections. Most of the dogs I know would be a lot more pleased with a nice bone than a silly bit of paper.
Like the dog, I don't care about Compostelas either.

My coin in the pot on the matter on hand would be did the dog walk the whole Camino with his boss - if so,I cannot see why the dog cannot receive a Compostela - we are making life very difficult for ourselves - love your neighbour/dog as you love yourself.

Today solstice day or shortest day of year, up at 2am to visit Newgrange, awesome, but back to tread I think it's a full moon as well and we all know what happens our brain then, what about a compostela for donkeys, horses!!

Last edited by a moderator:

In THE MILITARY dogs receive awards and medals. also dogs in the Police and medical assisted dogs obtain awards. guide dogs sometimes have awards and mountain rescue dogs on the odd occasion have received awards.......if a dog walks the camino why belittle the animal that millions of people world wide treat better than a HUMAN at times. dogs who search in disasters and the list goes on .........if not a compostela why not an award.....I would rather a dog receive an award than some pilgrims ? doing it (taking buses and taxis)and ltelling lies in the office just to pick a compostela up............I am not a dog owner

€149,-

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Can you say "contempt of court"?

actually, the judge was very pleased to have our fine dog present. And the customs people loved him. They probably have seen St. Roch, and the dog which saved his life.

I would rather a dog receive an award than some pilgrims ? doing it (taking buses and taxis)and ltelling lies in the office just to pick a compostela up

Judge not...

Why not just buy the dog a big juicy steak? I'm sure that would be much more appreciated. Isn't there something in the bible about animals not being placed on the same level as humans or something-or-other anyway? I guarantee that every single dog who's been awarded something has cared far more about the ear scritches and belly ruffles they've gotten at the ceremony than any piece of paper or chunk of metal. Maybe we should all learn something from them. Achievement still happens, physical award or not.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
actually, the judge was very pleased to have our fine dog present. And the customs people loved him. They probably have seen St. Roch, and the dog which saved his life.

I'm sure the Judge was pleased, however I am surprised that he allowed a dog to 'sign it'. A wedding licence is more than a compostuela; its a legal document that require witnesses to sign. There is a legal description of what constitutes a witness and your dog doesn't qualify (and if it does I don't want to know) ... and there is the question of how your dog signed. Most juridictions would call that an offense.

As a legal document it would seem to me that any document that relies on your wedding certificate being valid would be void and constitutes a fraud if the wedding certificate were not valid.

And to get back on track, your dog doesn't meet requirements for being a witness. Thats because it is incapable of comprehending human society. And, since it is not capable of comprehension at that level it doesn't qualify for a compostuela.

Just as with your wedding certificate you may be a scoff law and say where is the harm in it. But as seen here in the thread there are people whose idea of social norms are offended by the idea of giving it a compostuela.

Real damage is done when you get idiots like the fellow in the pilgrim's office offending the sensibilities of the staff there ... staff that are volunteers I might add and are worth their weight in gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back