• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For us sloooow walkers only!

Do us slow Pilgrims get more from the Camino?

• Snail's have little energy, they should be stepped on? lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimkaszynski

RIP 2014
Time of past OR future Camino
First step June 1st 2013
The Slow…Walkers who “ENJOY” the Moment!

WE “SNAIL’S” SEE THE FOREST FOR THE TREES!

OUR GOAL…is to start out slow and then “SLOW DOWN!”

Welcome to the official “Camino Pilgrim Snail Gang!”
Almost everyone is welcome? Sorry you pilgrims, who walk 30k plus a day, are not welcome! However, we will consider you if you take a sworn oath…”TO SLOW DOWN! “

OUR MISSION?

Should you decide to accept…. Is to walk slowly and enjoy the moment! So simple?…ya, right!

Our goal….and we have decided to accept!

OUR RULES

Oh yes, if you don’t follow these you will be severely punished. You will be forced to walk 40k a day with those speedy people who see the roses but don’t smell them. I know, that will be pure torture, but there will be a lesson in all this! Who knows, they may want to become one of us?

During our journey, we are not allowed to listen to our iPod’s this will only distract us from our purpose of concentrate on the moment, save that for when you rest at the albergue’s. Of course, using you cell phone is out of the question.

Swearing is allowed but only when you’re talking to yourself.

You may visit your past but not allowed to live there. The whole idea is to dump the baggage from the past. A promise comes with this…your backpack will feel lighter. Living in the moment can and will be a pain-less time in our journey. Living in the future; this only causes anxiety, we will not worry about tomorrow or where we may sleep for the night, the Camino magically provides. Plan for tomorrow but remember, don’t live their! If we get tired “STOP” and reflect on all we have to be grateful for!

For the Camino there are no rules, you can’t do this WRONG! If you can do only part of the Camino because of time or psychical problems it’s OK! If you have to ship your backpack ahead or take a bus to the next town, it’s alright. There are no failures on the Camino. The gifts the Camino will come.

My greatest lesson was to become microwave-less, I don’t need everything now! My normal behavior was pushing myself to the limit and go a little bit more; I was wrong, to live that way! Living in the moment…. I discovered, has no beginning or end…. my Camino lesson!

A LITTLE HISTORY HOW THIS SNAIL WAS BORN

One day as I was struggling after I realized I took the wrong path (which always turned out
to be the right one… for me) I saw no one for five hours and suddenly two Pilgrims appeared, It wasEddie and Esther Perkins from Las Vegas. I told them I was the official Mr.T (turtle) on the Camino. He quickly informed me he was Mr. T (turtle) because he walked so slowly. Well a few days later I ran into him again, he slowly (very slowly) passed me. So I asked him “What is slower than a turtle?” He hesitated and said “A snail.” So Mr. Snail was born! I think we will have fun with this Blog. I would love to hear from you, on what other fun rules we should have and what your Camino experience was to you and did it change your life? Try to keep it to a paragraph or two. I love this life….Jim
It has been brought to my attention that we should give a trophy to the slowest pilgrim. So we will have an annual event to present this award. However (since we are so slow) it may take 10 years for it to happen?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think this is the best way to do this. Reading other forum posts, it seems to me that the new objective many people have is to get from A to B as quickly as possible, and secure a bed. It's almost as if the "competitive and must win at any cost" jock crowd has disovered a new challenge, setting a new "personal best" goal......"Yesterday I did 27kms, today I will do 33 kms, and tomorrow 39 kms".....these same people, when they return, will brag about how they did the walk in 21 days, but have that puzzled look on their face when other pilgrims ask what they thought of that scenic overlook, that church, that small cafe...all the places they zipped right past, iPod blasting the same songs they heard a hundred times, instead of the wonderful sound of silence, the wind, the birds...
When it's time for me to do my walk, I'm setting aside 60 days, maybe 90...

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Well Jimkaszynski , they don´t even get to see the roses either as they all leave hours before sunrise. ;)

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walk slow, love my café con leches and Kaz Limons every time I take a take a break which is often. I do admit to being part of the race to find the next bed and usually stop around noon or one to put my bag in the queue at the albergue. Then after a beer (or 2) I take a shower and savor the sights and sounds of the town in which I'm staying that night. I've learned a lot about Spain and Portugal that way. I remember leaving Larrasoana 2 years ago and passing a guy who referred to himself as the panting tortoise. We should all be that proud!!

Here's a vote for walking fast or slow or doing whatever you want, getting there early or late or not at all. It usually works out perfectly whatever you do.

Try not to step on snails if i see them, but only time i seem to do this,ironically is if am on a slow one and have drifted into the twighlight and night.

I completely agree that many of those who walk faster than average and who walk longer distances than average sometimes make a point of showing off how much they've walked or how fast they've gone and exude a little air of superiority. But I think it would be a mistake for the "slow walkers" to try to out show-0ff the fast walkers. When you do that, you are just as annoying as the fast walkers who show off. Mike probably said it more diplomatically than I just did, but I don't think the camino needs more people with superior attitudes telling the fast walkers that they probably missed a nice view or a nice cafe. To each his or her own and let it be. Just my opinion. Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I must admit that part of the joy of the Camino was its complete lack of officialdom. There are some albergue 'rules' and the couple of 'rules' about who is awarded a compestella by the Cathedral, but that is all. And this forum is the same - its about welcoming everyone to a community, whether they walk fast or slow, carry a little or a lot, stay in albergues or paradors.

We might be combatative from time to time, but as a forum, divisiveness is just not in our genes. It would be a great pity were it to begin here.

I totally agree dougfitz, we shouldn't get competitive it's not Camino, however forgive me I'm so desperate to be the threads hairy catapiller!!!!

I must confess, I´m not a slow walker. Both my wife and I are regular hikers. But we aren´t members of the infamous "bed racer club".
We never leave the albergue before sunrise. We have a proper breakfast (when possible), we take photographs along the way and we stop
from time to time to have a coffee. We like to see the whole Camino ( those who leave before sunrise miss out on a lot) and above all we chat
with others.
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everyone who knows me says I'm a fast walker. This isn't because I am racing, it's because that is my natural speed. When I walk I listen to my body and walk the speed that is most comfortable for me. I have tried to walk slow, usually when I'm walking with someone slower than me, and, frankly, it's very uncomfortable for me. Everyone has a natural speed and rhythm. Nothing wrong with slow walkers ... or with fast walkers ... as long as it's their comfortable speed.

These sprinters who think they're slow because they stop around midday! Don't they realise you can start around midday? And before anyone tells me that's only possible from Spanish hotels, I've walked out of a French albergue at 11am - which is supposed to be impossible, but I did it.

Give up now. Just give up.

About everyone being welcomed... what about someone (it maybe me) who feels they just have to bring some food from home so as not to starve? I am sure no-one does this but I am 70 and have a few idiosyncracies surrounding food - just basic stuff -so I am thinking I might have to.

Hephsi, I carried two tubes of Vegemite across Spain. It was wonderful to be able to sit in a bar and spread my bocadillo with the merest smear, and enjoy the taste of this Ozzie icon. It wasn't about starving - I am too much of an omnivore for that, but it did make a difference to my day.
Regards,

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ha! You had me at slow until i got to the rules! just a bit of fun on the forum i'm guessing:0) ..but superiority is not what i am into either way slow or fast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since food can never be off-topic, I've had a curious prob since leaving Spain, over a couple of years ago now. I can't get enough paprika of the rich, smoky kind. Little tins of La Vera which I bring back from Sydney run out too soon, since I especially love to sprinkle large amounts of it on toast with olive oil and crusty salt. While I was lying around in Spanish hotel rooms till midday I used to watch Karlos Arguinano's cooking show, and that may have been the start of my pimenton obsession. Anyway, the stuff has become my reverse-vegemite. If you know what I mean. If I know what I mean.

I must confess, I´m not a slow walker. Both my wife and I are regular hikers. But we aren´t members of the infamous "bed racer club".
We never leave the albergue before sunrise. We have a proper breakfast (when possible), we take photographs along the way and we stop
from time to time to have a coffee. We like to see the whole Camino ( those who leave before sunrise miss out on a lot) and above all we chat
with others.
Buen Camino!
I am a hiker as well and have been known to be a fast hiker. I certainly hope that I can leave all that behind me and smell the roses as you do and get there when I get there.....Your my heroes!! :)

Everyone who knows me says I'm a fast walker. This isn't because I am racing, it's because that is my natural speed. When I walk I listen to my body and walk the speed that is most comfortable for me. I have tried to walk slow, usually when I'm walking with someone slower than me, and, frankly, it's very uncomfortable for me. Everyone has a natural speed and rhythm. Nothing wrong with slow walkers ... or with fast walkers ... as long as it's their comfortable speed.
I understand ......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am I allowed to laugh at bike riders, no rush no room find me a corner out of the wind. I bet i could also get a floor from someone in a bar after a few drinks.

I tend to average around 15 kms a day. I take my time - and hundreds of photos [see the web for locations]. I talk to every dog I see... and sheep and goats. And cows. I tell butterflies they're beautiful even if they're only 'common whites' and I have been known to hug a tree. I love the camino, and it seems to love me back. Yes, I've been overtaken by fast walkers who shout "Can't stop. Got to do 40 kms today!" and vanish around the next bend. Each to his own. He's happy. I'm happy.
Have a buen camino at whatever speed you enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nothing really prepares your body for the daily repeated routine of walking the camino week after week except walking daily with all your kit week after week.
The most common Camino injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; at 74 I always walk slowly and very easy recalling the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

Buen (lento) Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I just meander along and stop when I feel like it. And if there is no accommodation I just wander along a little more or around for a little longer. And I stop and use my poor Spanish to chat with a local. A wave, a smile a nod and a stop to observe. It always makes me smile and them too. I start when I feel like it and stop when I want to.mit just depends on my frame of mind at the time, on my feet and the feel of everything around me. (Now this reminds me of the poet Wordsworth And my school days. "I wandered lonely as a cloud when allay once I saw ....." Now just what do I see and feel?..
Life is wonderful and well the Caminomis special.

George and I walked 5km total on one day, and averaged between 10 and 15km (whooooaaaahh) most days for nearly 4 weeks. As people came up from behind and walked with us, we got used to their 'edgy' shuffling and would explain to them that it was perfectly alright for them to continue on their way, we were used to it: We often just said, "no point getting attached, you may possibly never see us again." They'd laugh, but we were serious.
I taught Georgia the joy, wonder, experience and reward of "never passing a bar", watching those weird black slug thingies cross our path - from edge to edge! We stopped for a breather whenever and wherever we wanted, and she learned to just lay down to enjoy the view. We learned Spanish because we spoke to everyone we saw, and we DID catch up with people (I don't know HOW, but I think the fast walkers slowed down, and we must have (horrors) picked up the pace).
I am home; have been for 3 months. But I'm often still in Spain - anywhere in Spain in my head and my heart, and still walking slowly in my life. Georgia is too, though she throws a skip in occasionally.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Plagiarism!! The Camino Caracoles has already been taken, the group registered, badge designed and we have walked the talk! Between 5 km and 7 km per day. Can anyone beat that?
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/

PS: Don't confuse speed with distance. I can happily walk 30km in 10 hours or more and that isn't fast!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved Ben's book! I have a signed copy with a picture he drew of a pilgrim snail carrying a trombone!

Last time around I was one of these fast walkers and was racing my camino. Honestly I was stressed if I woke up late and realized everyone already left the albergue. And when I got a blister after two weeks and could not walk so fast I hated when everyone were passing me. A very nice and wise lady told me it would maybe do me good to slow down and walk half of my normal pace. I did try every now and then (until I forgot myself and sped up again). Seven years have passed since then and I hope to be slower this time around (leaving for a 10-day camino next weekend). It is true that much is to be missed when walking fast, both in the exterior landscape but also the interior one. I have walked a lot this summer, not only to prepare myself but since I just love to walk, and I can see tendencies that I am slowing down, picking flowers, having many cups of tea, picking beautiful stones. That would never have happened in the beginning of my last camino, but this time I think I am ready to go slow. Well, I will try. Maybe I will not succeed, probably not in snail pace, but in a nice pace. So, maybe I will not qualify into the snail club, but I do agree with your sentiments. Go slow and be in the now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SYates - now you got me curious. Got to check it up!

Almost everyone is welcome? Sorry you pilgrims, who walk 30k plus a day, are not welcome! However, we will consider you if you take a sworn oath…”TO SLOW DOWN! “

OUR MISSION?

Should you decide to accept…. Is to walk slowly and enjoy the moment! So simple?…ya, right!

OUR RULES

Oh yes, if you don’t follow these you will be severely punished. You will be forced to walk 40k a day with those speedy people who see the roses but don’t smell them. I know, that will be pure torture, but there will be a lesson in all this! Who knows, they may want to become one of us?

During our journey, we are not allowed to listen to our iPod’s this will only distract us from our purpose of concentrate on the moment, save that for when you rest at the albergue’s. Of course, using you cell phone is out of the question.

You may visit your past but not allowed to live there. The whole idea is to dump the baggage from the past. A promise comes with this…your backpack will feel lighter. Living in the moment can and will be a pain-less time in our journey. Living in the future; this only causes anxiety, we will not worry about tomorrow or where we may sleep for the night, the Camino magically provides. Plan for tomorrow but remember, don’t live their! If we get tired “STOP” and reflect on all we have to be grateful for!

For the Camino there are no rules, you can’t do this WRONG! If you can do only part of the Camino because of time or psychical problems it’s OK! If you have to ship your backpack ahead or take a bus to the next town, it’s alright. There are no failures on the Camino. The gifts the Camino will come.

My greatest lesson was to become microwave-less, I don’t need everything now! My normal behavior was pushing myself to the limit and go a little bit more; I was wrong, to live that way! Living in the moment…. I discovered, has no beginning or end…. my Camino lesson!

One day as I was struggling after I realized I took the wrong path (which always turned out
to be the right one… for me) I saw no one for five hours and suddenly two Pilgrims appeared, It wasEddie and Esther Perkins from Las Vegas. I told them I was the official Mr.T (turtle) on the Camino. He quickly informed me he was Mr. T (turtle) because he walked so slowly. Well a few days later I ran into him again, he slowly (very slowly) passed me. So I asked him “What is slower than a turtle?” He hesitated and said “A snail.” So Mr. Snail was born! I think we will have fun with this Blog. I would love to hear from you, on what other fun rules we should have and what your Camino experience was to you and did it change your life? Try to keep it to a paragraph or two. I love this life….Jim
It has been brought to my attention that we should give a trophy to the slowest pilgrim. So we will have an annual event to present this award. However (since we are so slow) it may take 10 years for it to happen?
You have my vote! I will be trudging happily along the Camino starting May 18th 2014. I fly out of CDS June 28. So I will be a snail or slow walker at least and may have to take a short bus ride or two. We shall see. I want to be in the present as much as possible and to perceive what is right there in front of me i.e. reality.
Stefania

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SYates - that seems to be a great book! A little bit too heavy to bring on the Camino, I suppose, but a good read for when I return back home, full of longing...

"The beloved and I are slowly packing for Saturdays slow journey to Stanstead and Oviedo and then we can take it really easy to Ferrol and Santiago. The only thing I want to hurry is tomorrow..."
But hey don't hurry tomorrow just I've it with that taste of excitement and expectation. All part of the experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tend to average around 15 kms a day. I take my time - and hundreds of photos [see the web for locations]. I talk to every dog I see... and sheep and goats. And cows. I tell butterflies they're beautiful even if they're only 'common whites' and I have been known to hug a tree. I love the camino, and it seems to love me back. Yes, I've been overtaken by fast walkers who shout "Can't stop. Got to do 40 kms today!" and vanish around the next bend. Each to his own. He's happy. I'm happy.
Have a buen camino at whatever speed you enjoy!
Thanks for your post. I have been battling plantar fasciitis, but now on the mend and I think I am going to be able to do the Camino this fall. I was concerned because I now walk so slow - maybe the foot issues happened for a reason - I too tell the butterflies how beautiful they are when I slow down and take the time to see them. 15kms a day sounds like a good speed.

I´m a mountain hiker. I go hiking every weekend, rain or shine.I suffer from plantar fasciitis as well. When I went to visit my doctor about this problem she just shrugged her shoulders . So I decided to visit a physiotherapist. He solved my problem in a very short time.

The Camino isn´t about how many kilometers you cover a day. It´s much more than that. It´s about the quality of your daily walk. If 15 kilometers is it then that´s great. Just enjoy the Camino as much as possible. :)

Buen Camino !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Phew... I won't be the slowest then?! My boat is the slowest sailing boat in the Baltic and I am the slowest walker too! Do you remember the students who finished their exams early or who asked for extra paper after half an hour? I always remember the clammy feeling of fear, wondering why I never did that.
My dear father always said I was a lotus eater... Now I know he was right! I'll join your club! That's if I even manage to start!

I LOVE this thread! I completed my first Camino walk on August 20th! I started out with great intentions of keeping up a set pace.....only to have those intentions dashed when I realized that I was in no way going to accomplish this. I am only 5'1 and I have a much shorter stride than my friend (who was also walking with me). Once I decided to go my own pace and walk alone (we would meet up at the end of the day), I really started to enjoy the Camino. I met other slow walkers and forged friendships over café con leches at the rest stops. I took little breaks that allowed me to enjoy the sounds of nature. I WAS HAPPY! Taking a break from the normal race of everyday life was much needed, and I am glad that I didn't get down on myself for being a slow walker. I think it was the way it was meant to be for me. Buen Camino to all the slow walkers out there!

I LOVE this thread! I completed my first Camino walk on August 20th! I started out with great intentions of keeping up a set pace.....only to have those intentions dashed when I realized that I was in no way going to accomplish this. I am only 5'1 and I have a much shorter stride than my friend (who was also walking with me). Once I decided to go my own pace and walk alone (we would meet up at the end of the day), I really started to enjoy the Camino. I met other slow walkers and forged friendships over café con leches at the rest stops. I took little breaks that allowed me to enjoy the sounds of nature. I WAS HAPPY! Taking a break from the normal race of everyday life was much needed, and I am glad that I didn't get down on myself for being a slow walker. I think it was the way it was meant to be for me. Buen Camino to all the slow walkers out there!

Sounds like heaven!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My daughter and I are fairly fast walkers by nature which made us perfectly matched to walk the camino together. Sadly my footwear was not as good as I thought it was and I developed severely painful plantar fasciitis and had to stop after only two weeks.

One day we stopped in Maneru at 2:30pm and the only other pilgrim there was a 19 year old boy who had stopped walking for the day an hour earlier because his legs were in so much pain. He had been walking 50km a day! Around 6:30 that evening a man of about 70 years old showed up. He slowly made his dinner and at 10:30pm was asking if anyone wanted to join him for some tea. The owner of the albergue came back around 9:30 and gave us the key and asked that who ever went to bed last lock up. When we left the albergue the next morning around 8:30am, long after the teenage boy had left, the 70 year old man was just starting to cook his breakfast. He told us stories of taking naps in parks and that he always walked until around 5:30 to 6:30pm everyday. He also told us that he took every sunday off since he was religious and sundays are supposed to be a day of rest.

My daughter met up with the older man again while touring the cathedral in Burgos. You don't have to necessarily be a slow walker to slow down and enjoy life.

Hi Terri

You are so right.

There is a saying in Spanish - "Visteme despacio que tengo prisa." when translated means - " Dress me slowly because I´m in a hurry. "

Buen Camino to all slow & fast.:)

I took 3 months to make the camino from SJPP... and I "cheated" by taking a bus or other transportation about half the route. When I walked, I walked about 10-12 km a day... some days as little as 5km. I rarely missed an opportunity to take a break along the trail and when I got into an interesting city like Leon or Pamplona I hung around for 5 or 6 days! Why wouldn't I? Another pilgrim once asked me (rather indignantly) what kind of a pilgrim did I think I was? Here is the blog where I answered her question:
http://www.travels.summerthor.com/what-kind-of-pilgrim-am-i-sarria-spain-october-12-2011/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the month of July. Slower than most, but also had to get back for work. There is a special magic to being on the way during siesta. It offers time for reflection, and a lot of time alone. I recommend that you walk your pace, and enjoy your journey. There is no wrong way to walk The Camino. Don't waste your time worrying about being a purest, or what anyone else is doing. There is no way to compare one pilgrimage to another.

I'm in. Seriously slow walker. Everybody, everybody, everybody passed me out there. Before I started walking I met a Spanish gentleman on the train; he gave us some advice and helped us get to the bus station on our way to St. Jean. One thing he said that stuck with me throughout the entire camino. . ."Poco a poco." Little by little. That's what I said to myself when my feet hurt and I was so tired. Step by step. Little by little. Poco a poco.

I took 3 months to make the camino from SJPP... and I "cheated" by taking a bus or other transportation about half the route. When I walked, I walked about 10-12 km a day... some days as little as 5km. I rarely missed an opportunity to take a break along the trail and when I got into an interesting city like Leon or Pamplona I hung around for 5 or 6 days! Why wouldn't I? Another pilgrim once asked me (rather indignantly) what kind of a pilgrim did I think I was? Here is the blog where I answered her question:
http://www.travels.summerthor.com/what-kind-of-pilgrim-am-i-sarria-spain-october-12-2011/

How can you 'cheat'? I'd like to know where the 'rules' are. Why are folk always in such a hurry to follow rules? Never could understand that, which is probably why I spend so much of my life in motion! It's a personal journey, if you will. You sound blissfully aware to me! Bless you!

Nice to stumble on this thread ;) When I trekked the Annapurna Circuit in the Himalayas a few year ago, I'd joined a small group that had its sights on the 'finish line,' rendering it virtually impossible (inconceivable?) for us to stop and enjoy the breathtaking views, hang around an extra day in a snowbound village, meander off the path a little. I felt obligated to stay with the group, though in retrospect I realize that I could have signed off, stayed back, and followed my own pace. Now, nearly 5 years after a serious accident, I'm unable to carry a backpack, and I live with chronic pain. I'm grateful that I have little choice but to listen more closely to my body - and how far IT will take me each day. Call me a caracole, slackpacker, snail, slug or turtle. I'll be one of the Slowpokes, starting from Pamplona in just over a week... Buen camino y poco a poco indeed ;)

The great temptation for long distance walking - and pilgrims - is to go "too far, too fast, too soon, and too heavy." I learned that lesion - and bilateral stress fractures in my knees - on my initial introduction to long distance walking on the Appalachian Trail. I am proud to have earned the trail-name "Slow Walker" and with it the realization that the journey itself is the destination. We walk, not so much to reach the Cathedral, but to learn the lesson that the Camino itself brings to us. For me the best way to do this is at my "new" slow pace of 2.2 MPH! The last step of one journey is the first step of the next - so why rush?

I agree with Peregrina2000, we should just be what we are. Nothing else works. I was so slow compared to others, I could have cried at first. That is until I realized that I just was who I was. I tried to be faster, but it just didn't work! And there were friends that I made who couldn't walk as slow as me because they were just as naturally fast as I was slow. And for me, music was a meditation that helped me to cope with the difficulties and transcend them. AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Krishna Das...they helped me focus on what was important to me, i.e. finishing despite the pain. I couldn't have been without my headphones. Music is as natural as the trees. Music is nature. I liked silence, I liked music and I liked people distractions every now and again. I gained a whole new perspective on the camino because I let it all come naturally. Rules are for fools! Just be who you are.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i
The great temptation for long distance walking - and pilgrims - is to go "too far, too fast, too soon, and too heavy." I learned that lesion - and bilateral stress fractures in my knees - on my initial introduction to long distance walking on the Appalachian Trail. I am proud to have earned the trail-name "Slow Walker" and with it the realization that the journey itself is the destination. We walk, not so much to reach the Cathedral, but to learn the lesson that the Camino itself brings to us. For me the best way to do this is at my "new" slow pace of 2.2 MPH! The last step of one journey is the first step of the next - so wh

I agree everyone goes on their own pace camino is individual journey of a soul

OUR MISSION?

OUR RULES

At first my vote was for yes and then I realized that each has their own journey. On my journey I was forced to slow down and suddenly I realized I had been rushing my whole life. It was a profound insight and I could see where it started. It impacted my business and personal life. As I progressed I got to enjoy being last - very snail like and I did get to get more connected to the land and to the wisdom being passed on to me. It has filtered into my everyday life in a very good way. It does not mean that I cannot act quickly when it is required but more and more my overall life pace is slower and more connected.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with Peregrina2000, we should just be what we are. Nothing else works. I was so slow compared to others, I could have cried at first. That is until I realized that I just was who I was. I tried to be faster, but it just didn't work! And there were friends that I made who couldn't walk as slow as me because they were just as naturally fast as I was slow. And for me, music was a meditation that helped me to cope with the difficulties and transcend them. AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Krishna Das...they helped me focus on what was important to me, i.e. finishing despite the pain. I couldn't have been without my headphones. Music is as natural as the trees. Music is nature. I liked silence, I liked music and I liked people distractions every now and again. I gained a whole new perspective on the camino because I let it all come naturally. Rules are for fools! Just be who you are.

Great balance! Music is as close to the divine as I can get... I really agree with you. We're all delightfully unique. As soon as folk start going on about silence, I can't help but think that another 'rule'. Is on it's way in my direction! I do love silence too, but only when I want it!

Great balance! Music is as close to the divine as I can get... I really agree with you. We're all delightfully unique. As soon as folk start going on about silence, I can't help but think that another 'rule'. Is on it's way in my direction! I do love silence too, but only when I want it!

Balance is what is needed, and it should all just come naturally. It happens by itself, the camino happens to us, we don't call the shots. We all sort of notice that when we're walking! You look like a lady I met (one of the fast walkers!) in Roncesvalles and again in Zubiri briefly. This was in early May. She had a cough and sinus problems. It wasn't you, was it? She was just as pretty!

hi alll! what a lovely discovery! at 75 i have been a snail for many years! the one thing no one seems to have mentioned is that is not necessarily the need for the bed that makes me an early riser, its that I like walking in starlight! it must be the Celt in me! many a time when ill which was often enough I too managed 6 or 7 kms in a day but poco y poco is a grand mantra and I did the Poroguese route singing it!! I have been "nibbling" at bits of the VDLP for a few years now and am in no rush whatsoever to finish it! aint life grand? Buen camino! SeanJJ74

Balance is what is needed, and it should all just come naturally. It happens by itself, the camino happens to us, we don't call the shots. We all sort of notice that when we're walking! You look like a lady I met (one of the fast walkers!) in Roncesvalles and again in Zubiri briefly. This was in early May. She had a cough and sinus problems. It wasn't you, was it? She was just as pretty!

'Fraid not! I'm starting on the 17th from St Jean. Definitely not one of the fast walkers!:)
I like your philosophy... it's pretty much what I believe too. I'm really liking this thread!!!

Three women from South Africa labelled me the "tortoise" because of my slow pace but because of their four hour lunches we would meet daily along the last 200km. In Santiago they hugged me and cried out that I did make it and I did. All the way, walking , breathing and smiling.

That sounds super to me. Would you mind giving me an idea of the costing of that length of time. Without airfares of course. Did you return to Paris to fly home or leave from somewhere in spain?

I ride a Harley Davidson. Riding a Harley here is like walking the camino there. Too many people forget "it not about what you ride, it's about the ride" I and my collage friend walked the Ingles last May. I could smoke him on the flats and he could smoke me in the hills. Between us we were able to smell the roses. I plan on walking the Portuguese next May. I'm planning my trek to allow me time to smell the roses and any other flowers I see along the way. It's not about how fast you walk, it's about the walk.

OUR MISSION?

OUR RULES

May we join please?! We like to walk slowly and enjoy the moment, savouring the countryside and all it offers, visitng the churches and meeting people.

By the way - as we are slow, how long might it take us to do Hunnto to Roncevalles on 25 September?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May we join please?! We like to walk slowly and enjoy the moment, savouring the countryside and all it offers, visitng the churches and meeting people.

By the way - as we are slow, how long might it take us to do Hunnto to Roncevalles on 25 September?

How long have you got? :) No rules just enjoy!

I'm so lazy I'll take a tent... Just in case I want to stop and enjoy a sunset!

Three women from South Africa labelled me the "tortoise" because of my slow pace but because of their four hour lunches we would meet daily along the last 200km. In Santiago they hugged me and cried out that I did make it and I did. All the way, walking , breathing and smiling.
I really love this post!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You "cheated"?!?! Oh, no you didn't. This is another Camino myth. Do you really believe that, in medieval times, pilgrims offered a ride on a peasant's horse drawn cart would refuse because it was 'cheating'?! No! Relax! Enjoy the camino and your slow progression to Santiago however you cover your journey.

You "cheated"?!?! Oh, no you didn't. This is another Camino myth. Do you really believe that, in medieval times, pilgrims offered a ride on a peasant's horse drawn cart would refuse because it was 'cheating'?! No! Relax! Enjoy the camino and your slow progression to Santiago however you cover your journey.
Stephen Nicholls, so true, cheated sounds like you did something wrong, you can't do this wrong! I chose to walk every inch of the way but have no problem with the person who takes a bus to the next town or ships their bag ahead. One of my many Camino lessons was to know my limit! That's why I walked so slow. Another lesson was to be OK with others who criticize me, believe me, I had plenty of that! http://jimscaminodesantiago.wordpre...step-on-my-camino-walki-broke-down-and-cried/

€60,-
There have always been cheaters on the Camino.

In days of old peregrinos brought back a scallop shell as a sign that they had reached Santiago de Compostela and had visited & prayed at the saint´s tomb.

Well in the Middle Ages scallop shells were sold in Logroño.............:rolleyes:

I loved your October, 2011 blog entry! Starting April 28, I plan to walk the section from Sahagun to Santiago. I am not planning to set any speed records, rather to see the sights while meeting new friends and stopping to smell the roses and as many cow patties as necessary. B-t-w, when you wrote, "often the path is shared with the large, dumb creatures, and their by-products," you were referring to the bovines, weren't you? As is often said on the AT, "hike your own hike."

I don't walk the Camino until next year but I seriously think I'll be able to challenge the slowest snail, turtle or slug out there :p. Even when I'm hustling I can only just about manage a 19 minute mile ;). Although I plan on staying mostly in albergues I'm budgeting for having to stay in hotels at least some of the time since I will never be a contender in the Race for The Beds. Besides I don't want to go to Spain for the first time and not actually see any if it. One of the my reasons for walking the Camino is to see Spain from a perspective that isn't the typical tourist's.

So sure I'll join your Snails Club:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Iise T , WOW...I think your in first place for the "SLOW POKE," trophy? I took your same steps in Moxia a few weeks ago and shed the same tears. I threw a bottle with the ashes of my father and sister-in-law in to the ocean, followed by a tear and a smile! My video
After I left Moxia, I went to "The Little Fox House, (close by)" for a Pilgrims retreat, it's a recovery house to help us re-adjust back to earth. It is a donation home run by Tracy Saunders, her video....

Can I join, I even read the posts slowly, just in case I miss some thing special like this thread. Which vindicates me for all the locked doors I tried on the Way to Santiago including the one with a flower bed in the font by the door.

€60,-
Can I join, I even read the posts slowly, just in case I miss some thing special like this thread. Which vindicates me for all the locked doors I tried on the Way to Santiago including the one with a flower bed in the font by the door.
Love it, slow is fun! We are not allowed to walk by Flower beds without stopping and smelling the.... J

IMAGE_4.jpg

I won! I came in dead last! 1:07:50 for 5km! See if any of you can beat that:rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Who cares!

i love this thread!....Camino next year for me and so happy to hear I dont have to get up in the dark to get going.. ( not an early riser).. was worried I would be made to feel I HAD to!
as for staying in a hotel every so often.....yep.. thats what i will do too....
I will walk the Camino to suit me and am looking forward to the experience!.. in fact.. I cant wait!
thank you for all for the comments... it has put my mind more at ease....

Look, I really don't like to show off...

But there’s a guy who patrols the track after Ponferrada giving out pamphlets for an albergue in Villafranca, which is just the best, the others stink, and if you don’t believe him, see for yourself etc etc. Now I'd just spent two days idling in Ponferrada, eating churros or something. (I really like the Bierzo). Anyway, when he spotted me a second time three days later, still waddling along short of Villafranca, his salesmanship deserted him for a moment: “But…but…you’re the same pilgrim I saw…”

Hate to show off, but that's how you dawdle seriously.

Hey, by the way, I stayed in the Hostal Burbia by the river in Villafranca. Great people!

€149,-
Yesterday it took me 1.5hours to hobble from Muxia township down to the church and light house. I balled my eyes out when I was there as despite unbelievable pain...I was just so elated to be here. But I had to laugh through the tears as there is a sign near the church that had a snail on it. And I thought of this post. It was just brilliant.

Is there a light house in Muxia

Wow….this thread has turned into a fun run…oh… I mean walk. Thanks guys for keeping it positive and humorous with a good message. I will post a new story next week, so we can keep the ball rolling. I think it’s had over 2,500 hits, that means over 2000 people smiled, love it!

Now, a very important fact! A snail can sleep for three years. So…does that mean we can go to sleep in the beginning of our walk and wake up in Santiago? Hmmm, I think we should just stick with the SLOW thing! Jim

The Camino Pilgrim Snail Gang, http://caminopilgrimsnailgang.wordpress.com/

http://www.omg-facts.com/Science/A-Snail-Can-Sleep-For-3-Years/50965

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well Jimkaszynsjki who care how long one takes to get to Santiago. The problem is what that link states in the last paragraph
and I quote - " Freshwater snails and land snails have been eaten by people since prehistoric times. Today they are still regarded as a delicacy in many countries." And one of those countries is Spain. :eek: ........... Yep we´re in hot water!;)

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back