• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How would you rank the Caminos by difficulty?

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
This will probably generate as many wildly different opinions as socks or blister prevention, but for those of you who have walked multiple routes:

How would you rank the Caminos by difficulty, from easiest to hardest?

(If possible, please distinguish variations like the Portuguese Interior, Coastal, and Litoral.)

¡Gracias!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You are definitely going to get numerous replies to this and in all probability they will all give a different list. For what it is worth I walked my camino's in an ascending order of what I reckoned was difficulty based on distance, infrastructure and route as discerned from research on this forum. As far as it goes this is my list but there will be other pilgrims who have completed more obscure camino's which may be more or less "difficult".
Easiest first;
Camino Frances.
Camino Norte/Primitivo.
Via de La Plata/Camino Sanabres.
Camino Levante.
Enjoyed them all but probably my favourite is VdlP and onto Sanabres.
Looking forward to other responses as I am short of camino ideas for 2018 .
Don.

I would rate them similar to Don Camillo:

Camino Portugues (Senda Litoral)
Camino Frances
Norte
Primitivo
Via de la Plata
Sanabres
Le Puy

I did walk the Way of St. Frances from Florence in Italy. It was challenging in several ways including the fact that it is very poorly marked and little or no infrastructure in the early stages.

The time of year adds or detracts greatly to the difficulty of all of the routes. Mud...snow..wind...heat all change the degree of difficulty.
As an example, I walked the VdlP in mid August with temps at 50-55C for the first two weeks. That alone made it difficult without any thought of the actual route. I also walked the Camino Frances in January with high winds and snow drifts...making it much harder than the other times I have walked it. Le Puy was 30 of 35 days of serious rain..and also the hardest terrain of the routes, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is interesting. I'm encouraged that @grayland found the Le Puy harder than the Vdlp, because the Le Puy did not trouble me and the Vdlp has me intimidated - probably because I abandoned it on my only attempt at it so far because of injury.

My list (easiest to hardest):

Turonensis (Chartres to Poitier)
Arles (from which we detoured to walk along the Canal du Midi)
Camino de Madrid
Camino Francés
Le Puy
Norte

The above ranking is based on terrain, and not related to enjoyment. The walk we enjoyed the least was the Turonensis.

That's a not so easy to answer. What are main factors in categorizing easy/-ier from hard/-er? Is it elevation, mileage, infrastructure, weather conditions in which someone walked certain Camino, personal state of mind while doing it etc. But I'll try anyway. It'll be interesting for me also because I have never asked myself that question :)

(From easiest...):
1: Camino de Madrid
2/3: Camino Finisterre & Camino Muxia
4: Camino Ingles
5: Camino del Salvador
6: Camino Frances
7/8: Camino Sanabres & Camino de Invierno
9: Via de Bayona
10: Camino de Levante

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My way from my garden gate to Santiago, divided in stages from easiest to hardest:
  • all the marked Jakobswege in Western Germany, surrounding Cologne (very easy, mostly flat and perfect infrastructure)
  • Camino Frances, in my case: Obanos to Santiago (easy due to perfect infrastructure and lots of fellow pilgrims)
  • Via Podiensis, in my case: Le Puy to Navarrenx (easy, except for some gnarly hills under burning sun)
  • Camino Aragones, Somport to Obanos
  • Cologne to Trier and onwards to Metz (medium, quite some hills and not many places to stop or rest for a night)
  • Navarrenx to Somport, switching from the Le Puy to the Arles route (difficult, dangerous road traffic, quite steep)
  • Dijon to Le Puy (significantly difficult, many hills every day, mediocre infrastructure)
  • Metz to Dijon (significantly difficult because of virtually non-existent infrastructure)
  • deviation from the Aragones to San Juan de la Pena (the hell of a hike, but I admit I underestimated it and was badly prepared)
Harald

This will probably generate as many wildly different opinions as socks or blister prevention, but for those of you who have walked multiple routes:

(If possible, please distinguish variations like the Portuguese Interior, Coastal, and Litoral.)

¡Gracias!

¡Gracias!
I've done 3 now. Porto to SDC easiest but beautiful, Frances next...about 4 tough stages amongst the 30 days then the Camino Norte....toughest first week I've ever experienced. As far as boredom difficulty goes....i've heard from other pilgrims Via del la Plato is monotonous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh let's extend the geography! My list (starting with easiest):

- Via Podiensis (Figeac to SJPP)
- Jakobsweg (Tillyschantz to Konstanz via Nuremburg and Ulm)
- Via Gebenensis (Geneva to south of Lyon)
- Via Jacobi (Interlaken to Lausanne)
- Via Podiensis (Le Puy to Figeac)
- VIa Jacobi (Konstanz to Interlaken)
- Svatojakubská cesta (Prague to Tillischatz)

My easiest-Camino Frances,cause I've done it 5 times
Aragones from Somport lovely
Porto to SDC easy but Lisbon to Porto difficult
Via de la Plata x2 mostly easy but long and imo definitely not monotonous
Sanabres wonderful
Salvador challenging but wonderful
Primitivo challenging but wonderful
Norte my least favourite, first week extremely challenging.However will walk it again .God willing.
Due to walk Camino de Madrid in 4 weeks time. I believe its fairly easy.

I walked the Camino Frances and the Camino del Norte. Both were beautiful and challenging. Difficult to decide which was the easiest. I am getting ready to start VDLP in a few days and do hope it is not monotonous as someone said.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my opinion...and it appears to be the opinion of others here who have walked the VdlP....

The second hand report that the Via de la Plata is monotonous reported above is far off line.
The 1000 km distance takes you virtually across Spain from the South to the North direction. It goes though Roman towns with ruins, through wonderful towns like Salamanca, cattle ranches, past rivers and lakes, through National Parks and countless small villages. It is a very different local culture than the Norte or CF.

Boring is the last word I would use to describe it.

I walked the Camino Frances and the Camino del Norte. Both were beautiful and challenging. Difficult to decide which was the easiest. I am getting ready to start VDLP in a few days and do hope it is not monotonous as someone said.

Olimpia.........Do not worry about the VdlP it is far from monotonous. Yes it does have some long stages (plenty of time to contemplate), but these are broken up the minute (well first couple of hours at least) you leave Seville. The old Roman remains of Italica are just off the route and free to get in if you have an EU passport. The whole route is punctuated by history and great places to take some time out and see Merida, Caceres, Caparra, Salamanca and some equally fantastic albergues.
Buen Camino.
Don

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Olimpia.........Do not worry about the VdlP it is far from monotonous. Yes it does have some long stages (plenty of time to contemplate), but these are broken up the minute (well first couple of hours at least) you leave Seville. The old Roman remains of Italica are just off the route and free to get in if you have an EU passport. The whole route is punctuated by history and great places to take some time out and see Merida, Caceres, Caparra, Salamanca and some equally fantastic albergues.
Buen Camino.
Don
What a great topic! Thanks to you, Don, and others commenting on the VdlP... and glad to hear your experiences/comments ... we start APRIL 22 and I am so ready for the challenge.... Buen Camino Olimpia!

That's funny Alexwalker. When I first walked the VdlP in 2012 all the English speakers left by Salamanca. I became lonely and decided at the split to go to Astorga and join the Frances, declared to myself the Via wasn't for me ,not spiritual enough but Historical. Anyway last April I met a US camino buddy in Seville and we had a wonderful VDLP with many more pilgrims and plenty of English speakers ,so different. I had to go home from Salamanca but returned solo to finish the Sanabrese in September ,loved that too. Always think one has to repeat certain caminos to really appreciate them.

A very limited list here, but adding a few unmentioned ways (easiest to hardest):
1. Frances
2. San Olav
3. Baztanes

Just like pain, "hard" and "easy" are such subjective perceptions.
And so comparing my "hard" with someone else's is like comparing apples and oranges.
But it's fun.
So I would love to hear from some more of the hard-core who have walked many more ways.

I want to know why the Levante tends to end up as the hardest for those that have done it...and I'm waiting for an Invierno ranking!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I want to know why the Levante tends to end up as the hardest for those that have done it...and I'm waiting for an Invierno ranking!
First of all it's the longest Spanish Camino. I walked it in early summer and had two weeks of 40-48C temps. Furthermore fountains are quite scarce and you have to carry a lot of water. On later stages there is virtually no shade along the way and very rarely you can enjoy the forest or at least few trees on one spot. First four days are almost entirely on asphalt. Pilgrim accomodation is not available in all villages so that adds to the costs.

As I mentioned or rather asked in my OP what are the factors? For me it was personal experience of hardness but I must emphasize that I enjoyed Levante extremely because of solitude, long stretches through gently rolling fields or just completely flat terrain. Maybe I won't walk it again soon but I do have Sureste on my bucket list so that's almost the same as Levante and few stages even overlapse.

I ranked Invierno in my post. Check again. :)

I saw your Invierno ranking when I had another skim through the posts. My Levante experience next year will be a bit different as I am starting in February and my fiance has decided to join me on this for his very first Camino. Not sure who is the more bonkers of the two of us, me for dreaming up this particular camino (I totally blame the person who put up the map of Spain at the municipal albergue in Zamora as they put it in my head) or him for tagging along. Have to say that this year's weather has had me overthinking the gear list and I'm totally watching for where the floods will occur this Spring.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Easiest to hardest of caminos I've done...thinking about infrastructure, length of stages, language, mountains and climbs, general camaraderie....

Frances ......... only done a tiny bit. Plenty infrastructure, accom choices, etc.
Portuguese x2 ... from Porto
Madrid x2...... Best albergues, good mid length stages though not so many options. 2* favourite camino.
Finistere/Muxia...
Ingles .......
VdlP x3 ..... favourite
Sur (from Huelva) ...
Manchego (from Cuidad el Real) ....lack of infrastructure, signage and pilgrims.

Invierno this year might be the toughest with lots of ups and downs and not so many pilgrims. Time will tell...
Buen camino, Carole

Ok, I'll play too Different for everyone depending on weather, injuries/fitness, distance, isolation, language challenges, and many other things. Time also tends to soften the difficulties experienced on a particular route. That said, easiest first;
Finisterre
Portuguese from Coinbra - gotta love the cobbles
Frances
Dos Faros - first two days challenging, but stunning!
Invierno
VDLP/Sanabres - one of my favourites
Le Puy - first half anyway, 2nd half easier
88 Temple, Shikoku Japan - many steep climbs, snakes, 85% paved roads and too many stairs to count. My other personal favourite.

I embraced and enjoyed all of them, each for different elements unique to the route.

What makes caminos hard for me is steep hills and long stages. There are stretches with that on both Frances, Portuguese and Madrid, whereas the bit we did of the Levante was very pleasant.

On the other hand, some people might find never meeting other pilgrims hard - but since I tend to walk off season and try to stick to less-travelled walks, but bringing my husband, I'm used to that.

For people who don't speak any Spanish, the Madrid would be quite challenging - but I really loved it, apart from the day before Segovia, where my knee presented the major challenge.

The Camino I have been saying loudly that I will never walk because of the terrain is the Norte - and then I find people here saying it's the easiest one. This is typical - different people find different hings hard or easy, and there can't be one answer to this question.

Thank you for giving me something to think about!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did the VDLP/ Sanabres, the Primitivo and the Salvador. Difficult to say with was the hardest one. The VdlP was long, some long straight stretches. But I liked it a lot. The Primitivo and Salvador are more mountainous, I found the Primitivo to be harder ( against my expectations beforehand)

Easiest to hardest for me.

Portuguese (Porto, coastal).
Frances.
Primitivo.
Norte (taking GR and E9 route)
Sanabres.
Vdlp (high 30s low 40s in C temps)
Ingles (walked in 2 1/2 days).
Fistera to Sdc (93Km in 23hrs).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What makes caminos hard for me is steep hills and long stages. There are stretches with that on both Frances, Portuguese and Madrid, whereas the bit we did of the Levante was very pleasant.

On the other hand, some people might find never meeting other pilgrims hard - but since I tend to walk off season and try to stick to less-travelled walks, but bringing my husband, I'm used to that.

For people who don't speak any Spanish, the Madrid would be quite challenging - but I really loved it, apart from the day before Segovia, where my knee presented the major challenge.

The Camino I have been saying loudly that I will never walk because of the terrain is the Norte - and then I find people here saying it's the easiest one. This is typical - different people find different hings hard or easy, and there can't be one answer to this question.

Thank you for giving me something to think about!
I loved the Norte, do not be afraid!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is interesting. I'm encouraged that @grayland found the Le Puy harder than the Vdlp, because the Le Puy did not trouble me and the Vdlp has me intimidated - probably because I abandoned it on my only attempt at it so far because of injury.

Camino de Madrid
Camino Francés
Le Puy
Norte

The above ranking is based on terrain, and not related to enjoyment. The walk we enjoyed the least was the Turonensis.

Yeah thanks Kanga for ranking El Norte as toughest. I just arrived in Bilbao yesterday after my second 30+ km day of mud, riverlettes, steep ascents and sheer drop descents. This part is not for cardiovascularly chsllenged as the days are not long enough yet to “take your time” but I am absolutely loving it and feel safe.

My reason for fearing the Norte is all the climbing. My knee and hip do not like that, and the pain generally gets w orse, day by day.

Cardiovascularly, I'm fine - on flatter land, so people walking with me don't have to listen to my muttering and swearing (and moaning about pain at night, when the pills wear off again).

You are definitely going to get numerous replies to this and in all probability they will all give a different list. For what it is worth I walked my camino's in an ascending order of what I reckoned was difficulty based on distance, infrastructure and route as discerned from research on this forum. As far as it goes this is my list but there will be other pilgrims who have completed more obscure camino's which may be more or less "difficult".
Easiest first;
Camino Frances.
Camino Norte/Primitivo.
Via de La Plata/Camino Sanabres.
Camino Levante.
Enjoyed them all but probably my favourite is VdlP and onto Sanabres.
Looking forward to other responses as I am short of camino ideas for 2018 .
Don.
Hola Don Camillo,
I liked your comment regarding the VDLP. I will be walking it in Sept/Oct 2018. Why was it your favorite? Any advice regarding the VDLP?
Gracias,
Dominick

Easiest to hardest:

Voi De La Nive
Camino Finisterre
Camino Ingles
Camino Frances
Via De La Plata
Camino Sanabres
Camino Primitivo
Via Podiensis (Le Puy to SJPdP)
Camino San Salvador
Via Gebennensis (Geneva to Le Puy)

Of course everyone will differ in opinions but I find it interesting to hear other peoples views!

For instance, when I first walked the Primitivo I chose to walk the Hospitales variant as almost everyone told me this way was more beautiful but harder than the Pola De Allende variant. Except for a few Spanish pilgrims who said the opposite, in fact they were adamant that the Pola De Allende variant was more beautiful AND harder than the Hospitales. So next time I walked the Primitivo I took the route via Pola De Allende and sure enough it was harder in my opinion. More beautiful? Well, as beautiful certainly, just different terrain. Glad I took it!

Davey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Porto to Santiago was easier than the Frances (SJPdP to Santiago) for me. Only did a week of the VDLP. Had one of the hardest days of hiking ever due to the weather on the VDLP (day 2). Pretty much a whole day of insanely sticky mud!

All other long distance hikes that I have tackled have been harder than the caminos. These include the West Highland Way, Te Araroa, Bibbulmun Track, GR11.

I have walked 5 Easiest to Hardest
Ingles
Finisterra
Frances
Protuguese Interior (From Lisbon)
Norte

This is a tough question and very subjective based on conditions, like season, weather etc. My list easiest to hardest. All my Camino's were in Spring with starts between March 23rd and April 11th.

Vasco - Irun to SDdC. A mostly Basque walk with a gentle start, mountain climb, wine country finish. Sparsely traveled
Madrid - Mountains, forests and meseta. One tough day. Sparsely traveled.
Frances - 3 tough days, best infrastructure. Well traveled.
San Salvador - short, beautiful, tough with snow and mud. Sparsely traveled.
Primitivo - beautiful, hilly, for me snow and lots of mud. Moderately traveled.
Norte - beautiful seascapes, toughest route day in and out, imo. Best food, I like seafood.Moderately traveled.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Easiest to hardest for me :

1) Coastal route + variante Espirutual
2) Frances
3) Mozarabe (Almeria to Cordoba)
4) VDLP (x2) + Sanabres (1x) Favourite !

That's a not so easy to answer. What are main factors in categorizing easy/-ier from hard/-er? Is it elevation, mileage, infrastructure, weather conditions in which someone walked certain Camino, personal state of mind while doing it etc. But I'll try anyway. It'll be interesting for me also because I have never asked myself that question :)

(From easiest...):
1: Camino de Madrid
2/3: Camino Finisterre & Camino Muxia
4: Camino Ingles
5: Camino del Salvador
6: Camino Frances
7/8: Camino Sanabres & Camino de Invierno
9: Via de Bayona
10: Camino de Levante
Salvador is easier than Frances?

I Would say None of the Camino is easy. But via de La plata, del norte(the first week)and primitivo is on my top 3.

Thanks. I did the Norte and didn't think it was difficult. I am planning to do San Salvador and Primitivo in September. We shall see.

Salvador is easier than Frances?
For me it was but just a little bit. Second half of the Salvador is almost completely flat but on tarmac most of it which I don't like. One significant factor is the length of Frances. Also it has three notable uphills and few very demanding descends for my knees.
I guess our memory works in mysterious ways :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked about two-thirds of the Frances over two shorter caminos and loved every minute - 'found most of what I walked quite easy.

Last year I walked part of the Via Francigena in Italy with my friend Sally - from Aosta to Villafranca in Lunigiana in Tuscany. The first two days from Aosta to Chatillon were an absolute shocker - goat-tracks on mountain sides with sheer drops on one side - downright dangerous. I walk with Spot, my wonderful hiking trailer and he was wider than some of the paths. We encountered large boulders on those paths and lots of very steep ascents and descents - I was crazy to attempt it with a hiking trailer. After two days we decided to continue on the cycling path - it was much better and safer - what a relief - until we reached the flat lands around Vercelli and Pavia. The walking in those parts was absolutely glorious and the scenery everywhere so very beautiful. The pilgrim accommodation infrastructure is 'there' but not as easy to access as the Frances - so we stayed in a mix of hotels and pilgrim accommodations.

The Frances has spoiled me! I love it dearly!

Here's a pic of Spot at the top of the Cisa Pass on the VF - triumphant at making it to the top!

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 5.28.13 pm.png
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Easiest first and please remember the bones aged over the decade ,

Finisterre - Muxia after 800km to SDC its easy,
Madrid
Portuguese
Mont St Michel to Spain , beautiful villages ever so different from Spain and very lonely , very kind people in villages that would love more walkers , food was exceptional, met 8 pilgrims and 6 were going the other way .
Frances , a few take your time days but serviced
Norte , take care and take your time the first 7-9 days
Primitivo , the weather stops early risers, the weather stops long days and the terrain is magnificent and challenging ,
Navarrenx to Puerta le Reina , be very careful in the steep climb to a height well above Napoleon .
Le Puy , if you hurry here you are mad, its beautiful and challenging , and if the weather changes whilst you are commencing The Aubrac , the first day of Frances is a walk in the park.

One left , will we make Seville??

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Camino de Madrid
Camino Francés
Le Puy
Norte

Don't give up on the VdlP Kanga. Two years ago I also had to abandon it at the half way point because of painful knees. The next year I returned wearing a knee brace and completed the camino without much difficulty. The second half is quite different when one gets on the Sanabres, and being further north at the same time of year (September) the weather was less harsh.

@Thornley, I'll be walking the Le Puy route in June and you've got me shaking in my boots (I mean trail runners)! I'm planning for shorter days the first week snd hope I'll do ok! Yikes!

@mistermac I'm thinking of trying again this year, starting at the beginning of May. I was hoping to start earlier but work has delayed things. If May is too hot in the south then I'll jump on a train and head straight to the Sanabres. Well, that is my current thinking - everything subject to change on the day!

I have a yen to start at the furtherest places. Not always wise, as I found out when trying to walk from Paris. The romantic idea sometimes does not translate in practise.

Merida sounds like a good starting place. Particularly as 6 weeks is as long as I want to be away from home, and I lose at least a week in travel.

@Thornley, I'll be walking the Le Puy route in June and you've got me shaking in my boots (I mean trail runners)! I'm planning for shorter days the first week snd hope I'll do ok! Yikes!

You are ok , Primitivo and Norte completed,
Please Chris take as long as you can in the first 2 weeks , make ir three weeks.
Then you have a bit of crap before walking "into" The Pyrenees,
You will not forget this GR

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have only done the Frances so can't post a ranking. I was planning to walk vdlp santabres from Salamanca next month but the repeated ranking as about the hardest is scaring me a bit.

My way from my garden gate to Santiago, divided in stages from easiest to hardest:
  • deviation from the Aragones to San Juan de la Pena (the hell of a hike, but I admit I underestimated it and was badly prepared)
Harald

Ok. So I should choose the way carefully if I make the decision for or against San Juan de la Pena.

As long as I do not get injured it should be worth it:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sharp-decline-in-pilgrims-camino-aragonés.51439/#post-571631
We will see...

Last edited:
Ok. So I should choose the way carefully if I make the decision for or against San Juan de la Pena.

I suggest not to repeat my fault and walk the ~35km Jaca-San Juan de la Pena-Santa Cilia de Jaca on the second day atfer doing the ~30km from Somport to Jaca on the first without being trained for the mountains. These were the first two days on a Camino outside my region of Germany and I had bad equipment: shoes didn't fit perfectly, bagpack was old and heavy, no poles, no GPS, not enough water, a small map and way to less experience how much I can do. I simply learned it the hard way, but I think, many of us did somehow similar.
If you know your abilities and know how to pace yourself, it's doable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very interesting results and sooo subjective.

I would never place the Plata or the Levante on a "hard Camino" list and I have walked both in June and July. Most of the way is flat and the infrastructure is more than adequate. Some may find them mentally challenging, that is if there are few pilgrims around and you have little Spanish knowledge, not for the terrain. The fact that I do well in heat, speak Spanish and often walk alone influences my opinion.

Entirely subjective but here goes :

1) Francés
2) Inglés
3) Portugês (interior and coastal) but too many hard surfaces
4) Vía de la Plata
5) Levante
6) Finisterre/Muxía
7) Aragonés
8) Norte (due to elevation changes and tarmac)
9) Camí Catalán (due to San Juan de la Peña And infrastructure)
10) Mozárabe: Granada to Mérida (walked alone for 16 days without seeing a pilgrim, infrastructure and signage fair)

The Madrid, Salvador and Primitivo are still on my list...and that is just in Spain;)

Camino de Madrid
Camino Francés
Le Puy
Norte

Kanga,
I find your list intersting due to ranking Arles easier than Le Puy. Having walked Le Puy/Frances, l set off for Arles /Aragones and Portuguese from Lisbon in about 5 weeks time. Everything I've read says Arles is far more challenging than Le Puy and due to this have been concerned about my fitness. Your list gives me renewed confidence. .thanks from a Kiwi!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everything I've read says Arles is far more challenging than Le Puy and due to this have been concerned about my fitness.

Hi Beverlin, I've walked the Le Puy route and plan to walk Arlés to Santiago this fall. Everything I've read and seen suggests that the Le Puy is more challenging, at least the first half. So I think we will both be ok:cool: Have a great walking season!

I have only done the Frances so can't post a ranking. I was planning to walk vdlp santabres from Salamanca next month but the repeated ranking as about the hardest is scaring me a bit.
Go walk it, you'll be fine and I think you will really enjoy this route. I walked from Seville on my second Camino following the Frances and I still find the VDLP one of my most favourite Caminos. Lots of Roman history, interesting towns, better food than the Frances, great scenery and lots fewer pilgrims. Have fun preparing and I hope you enjoy the experience!

a very very tough question. I'm gonna go mostly with the infrastructure because that greatly affects my budget, with the weather, and with the terrain. I prefer hills to any flat walk and grumble a lot on level surfaces (and more so, if they are asphalt). also, where in my grand scheme of that-year-caminos a particular camino fits in, eg. at the beginning or more towards the end, is also a factor.

from easiest to hardest, but the list is very loose because it's difficult to decide sometimes and if you ask me tomorrow, it might be different!

caminos fisterra & muxía
camino francés
camino aragonés
cammino celeste (cividale dei friuli - aquileia)
camino del norte
camino primitivo
via podiensis (le puy)
via domitia (montgenevre - arles)
via tolosana (arles)
a tiny bit of via francigena from fornovo di taro to sarzana (rain is a great factor here)
sentier cathare
voie d'ossau (arudy - somport)
camino viejo/olvidado
camino invierno
via grado-aquileiense and via romea-leona (14 days of flat, flat, flat)
via aurelia (menton - arles)
voie du piemont pyrenéen (le mas d'azil - arudy)
via della costa (sarzana - menton)
passum tulmini (ljubljana - cividale dei friuli, start of the walk and injury)

¡Gracias!
The most difficult to the least difficult moments within all of the Camino’s I have done...please note that there were medical issues, weather issues and various personal issues that affect the response.

A one day stretch on the Portuguese Litoral/Central that involved a steady uphill climb over loose rocks and mud with forest fires burning within 500 metres. Sheer horror and physical exhaustion.

The descent to Acebo with shin splints and no ibuprofena (3rd Francés)

An unintended extra night in Pontferrada due to dehydration that showed as a skin rash and resulted in a visit to hospital. ( zip off pants zipper line...and not enough water!) (2nd Frances)

Best moments
2. Being surprised in Puente La Reina by my pilgrim friends from the previous year.

1. While planning my 2nd Portuguese having my 20 yr old daughter ask if she could come with me

The most difficult to the least difficult moments within all of the Camino’s I have done...please note that there were medical issues, weather issues and various personal issues that affect the response.

A one day stretch on the Portuguese Litoral/Central that involved a steady uphill climb over loose rocks and mud with forest fires burning within 500 metres. Sheer horror and physical exhaustion.

The descent to Acebo with shin splints and no ibuprofena (3rd Francés)

An unintended extra night in Pontferrada due to dehydration that showed as a skin rash and resulted in a visit to hospital. ( zip off pants zipper line...and not enough water!) (2nd Frances)

Best moments
2. Being surprised in Puente La Reina by my pilgrim friends from the previous year.

1. While planning my 2nd Portuguese having my 20 yr old daughter ask if she could come with me
:D :D :D
I guess you'll have something to share with your grand children :)

10) Mozárabe: Granada to Mérida (walked alone for 16 days without seeing a pilgrim, infrastructure and signage fair)
An interesting forum, but so much depends on what you find "difficult". Many folk have quoted 'isolation' as making a camino more difficult. But for me, I enjoy walking on my own, in solitude, listening to the birds and saying the odd prayer of thanks.
A couple of years ago I walked the Ruta del Ebro and would say it's my favourite camino! And only 'hard' if you want lots of company :).
Next year [2019] I hope to walk the Portuguese Coastal and am banking on it not being too crowded!!!

All other Caminos cannot be measured against the GR 20
We were in Moissac many years ago when walking from Le Puy when Italians , French and Germans who had commenced in Geneva stood and saluted a mother and her teen aged son who had just completed the Gr in Corsica and was having a leisurely walk on our very hard Le Puy.
These hardy pilgrims were in admiration on her walk.

An interesting forum, but so much depends on what you find "difficult". Many folk have quoted 'isolation' as making a camino more difficult. But for me, I enjoy walking on my own, in solitude, listening to the birds and saying the odd prayer of thanks.
A couple of years ago I walked the Ruta del Ebro and would say it's my favourite camino! And only 'hard' if you want lots of company :).
Next year [2019] I hope to walk the Portuguese Coastal and am banking on it not being too crowded!!!

So true @Stephen Nicholls. I have walked Caminos before and after the Mozárabe where I was with only one or two other people (Plata, Levante, Camí Catalán) but that is different than no one else.

I am glad that I experienced it but also realized how important communication is, and sharing even if but for a moment. I would take extra long coffee breaks to chat with bar owners and stopped often to talk with locals during their morning walks. This is something that I do on any Camino (luckily I speak Spanish) but it took on a different significance this time around. Most thought it odd that a woman would be out and about like that alone.

I walked the coastal last June and although I saw few pilgrims while walking, some of the albergues were full, especially when the coastal meets up with the Interior till Santiago.

Ultreia

So true @Stephen Nicholls...... stopped often to talk with locals during their morning walks. This is something that I do on any Camino
I agree completely, LT. I talk to everyone as I, too, speak just a little Spanish, having lived in Spain for eight years. But then, I'm a bit weird - I speak to all the animals I see - sheep, cows, birds - even the occasional butterfly.
If people are out walking their dog, I find the best way to get them to talk is to say hello to their dog and - if friendly - tickle it's ears! [The dog's, not the people :) ]
I'm hoping I'll be healthy enough for the Portuguese Coastal next April. We will see. God is good!
Ultreia!! Blessings from England.....

I find easy walks boring and appreciate a challenging Camino, certainly makes them memorable, each to their own:

Ingles, short but wet
Finisterre, short but hilly
Frances, good infrastructure but too busy
Vdlp, long but glorious
Portugues, very muddy in winter, i understand section from Lisbon has improved
Levante, long and hot, no infrastructure if you start in Cartehenga

Camino de Madrid
Camino Francés
Le Puy
Norte

WOW! Never heard of some of these routes. Could you send me some more info on the first 3! I walked Camino Frances and would like to brave enough to walk Le Puy. Need to learn French. This year it's MONTBLANC....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
WOW! Never heard of some of these routes. Could you send me some more info on the first 3! I walked Camino Frances and would like to brave enough to walk Le Puy. Need to learn French. This year it's MONTBLANC....

The first is part of the route from Paris. We made our own way from Chatres to Tours using local walking trails through the Loire Valley. Then from Tours south to Poitiers. The second was a variant on the Arles route.

For a full menu of the long distance trails in France, many of which can be used to "make" a pilgrimage route towards Spain, this interactive map is a good starting point: http://www.gr-infos.com/gr-en.htm

The route from Madrid is clear and well marked and the site mentioned by @KinkyOne shows it. See also the resources section of the forum.

I really don't think it is monotonous (but it's only my opinion of course :))

The Inglés is more difficult IMO than the Primitivo :)
Hmmm,can you explain why? I have walked The Inglés and found it easy. But when I read about the Primitivo it seems much harder?

Hmmm,can you explain why? I have walked The Inglés and found it easy. But when I read about the Primitivo it seems much harder?
I have walked the Inglés twice and the Primitivo in between. Terry had already walked the Primitivo when we walked the Inglés, to give me an easier Camino - as we thought. His comment at the end was 'If you can walk this you can walk the Primitivo'. I had to agree after walking both and the second time on the Ingles merely confirmed my feelings.
I think the daily elevations make the difference. On the Inglés there are more 'daily hills' but on the Primitivo there are less hills per day. We did not walk more than 20 kms most days on the Primitivo, which may have made it easier, but the daily distance on the Inglés was less over 8 walking days.

I love reading everyone's varying opinions and descriptions of the routes on this thread. It's giving me much to ponder when I will eventually be planning for 2019, after walking the Le Puy route come June.

I love reading everyone's varying opinions and descriptions of the routes on this thread. It's giving me much to ponder when I will eventually be planning for 2019, after walking the Le Puy route come June.
Me too Chris, as I ponder Le Puy to Santiago or the Via Francigena!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Easiest to hardest of caminos I've done (infrastructure, crowd, length of stages, solitude, ...)
caminos fisterra & muxía
camino portugues central (Porto-Santiago and Variante Espiritual)
camino francés
camino portugues (Lisbon-Porto)
Via Podensis (Le Puy-SJPP)
Primitivo ( with variante Hospitales)
Camino Torrès (Salamanca-Santiago by Portugal) hard challenging but as I enjoy walking on my own, in solitude (first pilgrim met after 480 km in Ponte de Lima ;) ) = my favorite camino, see my vidéos on youtube for example If you don't know this camino

Easiest to hardest of caminos I've done (infrastructure, crowd, length of stages, solitude, ...)
caminos fisterra & muxía
camino portugues central (Porto-Santiago and Variante Espiritual)
camino francés
camino portugues (Lisbon-Porto)
Via Podensis (Le Puy-SJPP)
Primitivo ( with variante Hospitales)
Camino Torrès (Salamanca-Santiago by Portugal) hard challenging but as I enjoy walking on my own, in solitude (first pilgrim met after 480 km in Ponte de Lima ;) ) = my favorite camino, see my vidéos on youtube for example If you don't know this camino
Could you provide the link to your Torres videos, please?
Thanks a lot!

here they are :
part I from Salamanca to Ciudad Rodrigo :
part II from Ciudad Rodrigo do Trancoso :
part III from Trancoso to Lamego :
part IV from Lamego to Tui :
part V Tui to Santiago :

When I prepared this camino, I looked first on http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/
regards,
Henri

From most to least ...

1) The Full Camino -- AKA walk from home to home the long way 'round via Santiago

2) The ersatz Full Camino -- walk from home to Santiago, plus maybe several extras later

3) Walk from anywhere that you don't live to Santiago

4) Walk from some point A to some point B following some Camino waymarkers

I have walked the Inglés twice and the Primitivo in between. Terry had already walked the Primitivo when we walked the Inglés, to give me an easier Camino - as we thought. His comment at the end was 'If you can walk this you can walk the Primitivo'. I had to agree after walking both and the second time on the Ingles merely confirmed my feelings.
I think the daily elevations make the difference. On the Inglés there are more 'daily hills' but on the Primitivo there are less hills per day. We did not walk more than 20 kms most days on the Primitivo, which may have made it easier, but the daily distance on the Inglés was less over 8 walking days.
Thank you for your answer! I have walked Camino Inglés 3 times and would gladly walk it again. To me the hills are nothing compared to the mountains around my home:)
But instead of walking there a fourth time I was thinking of visiting Oviedo and walk at least a part of the Primitivo. I will read your blog to get some inspiration!
In Oviedo there is this interesting case of The Sudarium in Oviedo. It is kept in the cathedral of San Salvador and is displayed to the public on Good Friday and 14 and 21 September. I suppose there will be big festivities on these occasions and well worth experiencing.

Easiest to hardest:
Camino San Olav
Camino Ingles
Camino Frances
Via Podensis (from Le Puy, the first part to Conques)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hardest: My 1. camino Frances when I thought never again!
Next: Le Puy to Santiago
Via de la Plata from Sevilla to SdC
GR 651 from Oloron St. Marie to Punte la Reina
From Porto because of all the cobblestones in the streets
Camino Norte from Irun to Santander
All my next caminoes

here they are :
part I from Salamanca to Ciudad Rodrigo :
.........part V Tui to Santiago :
Henri. I wish you wouldn't post videos like that on the forum. Now I've REALLY got to walk another camino next year!
[Lovey pictures: it seems the pathway almost disappeared in places. All part of the fun of the camino!]
Ultrea!
Stephen.

In Oviedo there is this interesting case of The Sudarium in Oviedo. It is kept in the cathedral of San Salvador and is displayed to the public on Good Friday and 14 and 21 September. I suppose there will be big festivities on these occasions and well worth experiencing.
We have visited the Cámara Santa twice, before it became part of the Cathedral 'tour'. We have the sello from there which can still be asked for at the ticket office, now in the Cathedral.
We love the Primitivo :)
Buen Camino

€83,-
I love discussions like these, even though it's a hard question to answer!

Physically, I think the first part of the Via Podiensis, from Le Puy to Cahors, was harder than any other stretch. And yet the food, towns, and countryside were amazing. The community of walkers also felt more united than on other stretches. That is, it felt like one large community, and wasn't so much subdivided into all the smaller groups of camino families. And so I can't say that the Via Podiensis was difficult, per se.

Mentally, I found that the first part of the Frances, from Roncesvalles to Burgos, to be much more difficult.

Wow! We are all different! For me Camino del Salvador was one of the hardest and Camino Ingles was the easiest. Camino Finisterre & Camino Muxia are the 2nd and the 3rd for me as well, bur this is just because they are very short. In my opinion Camino Aragones is rather difficult.

So here is my list (from the easiest...):
1: Camino Ingles
2-3: Camino Finisterre & Camino Muxia
4: Camino Frances
5: Camino Norte
6: Camino Vasco
7: Camino Aragones
8: Camino de San Salvador:
9: Camino Primitivo

That's an odd thing to offer up on this thread, especially as you haven't walked it. I loved Via de la Plata
I haven't walked Via de la Plata. But I've heard repeatedly how boring the Meseta is on the Frances. To the contrary, I've chosen to walk that section again because I love it so much. But talking about which is boring or most beautiful is like the answers you get to what kind of shoes. Ask 5 people and you will get 5 wildly different opinions.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

¡Gracias!

From easiest to hardest I'd go:

Portugues..easy because it's flat and short..ish
Finisterra and Muxia..short but lots of up and down and easy to get lost (IMHO)
Primitivo..hardest from the standpoint of climbing every day..but again shortish
Frances...the hardest overall simply because of the length

Dan B.

Apples - Terrain, inclines, trail, vertigo opportunities - Easiest to hardest

Frances
Primitivo
San Salvador

Oranges - Overall effort needed - Distance/time - Easiest to hardest
San Salvador
Primitivo
Frances

Hmmm ok so here's my HO!

Portuguese (from Tui)
Ingles
Frances
Del Norte (from Muros de Nalon)
Invierno (from Monforte de Lemos)

The only reason for the Invierno being marked "hardest" is because of markings...or lack there of! There are longer stretches too as there is so little infrastructure. But ask me which one I liked the most ;)

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.