• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury 24 hours before flight!

spagirl

Time of past OR future Camino
frances(Sept 2018)
E1CAA6E0-F2F5-4018-8378-3166B6D33CEF.jpeg
Help!! Damaged LCL yesterday and I’m supposed to fly to France tomorrow to start my Camino.
My doctor says go and walk a km a day! I’ll finish when I’m a hundred and eight. Do I go? Stay? Aarghhh! I just stepped wrong in the garden- nothing dramatic. I spent yesterday crying and icing and icing and crying. I’m truly beside myself trying to decide. I can walk but it hurts. I bought a brace that costs more then my first car, and a tens machine.
I guess I’m just feeling sorry for myself and no one in my non Camino world gets it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear spagirl,

wish you truly all the best and to decide whatever is best for you.

Believe me, I do know exactly how you feel. The only difference is, that I had two more days to decide about the same issue. I was supposed to leave September 3rd, but that was thwarted by an erysipela. I struggeld for some days with my decision, because I simply didn't want to accept that my Camino this year was already finished before it had yet started.

I finally decided yesterday to postpone my Camino and cancelled my flight today.

Only you will know, whether you'll be able to walk and whether this still could be the Camino you dreamed about.

What made me decide against ist at the end though was the logical reasoning of a friend of mine: If my health situation would worsen during my stay in Spain my health insurance won't take over any costs because it was a known injury before leaving.

Before deciding finally whether to leave or not better check your insurance conditions to be on the safe side.

I am sorry for your injury. Before you decide, get a diagnosis of the extent of the injury. If it’s not too bad, get a supporting brace. You’d be surprised at how wonderful it feels with both sides of the knee supported. Naturally you have to listen to your doctor. Good luck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is, of course, something you must decide. I tore the LCL long ago. It was painful and took weeks before I could walk on it without changing my normal gait. If you tore it, I would cancel and have it taken care of. The Camino will still be there! Heal well!

Last edited:
So sorry!! As sugargypsy says, only you know your situation. It also depends on where you're coming from, and whether or not you've already taken the time off work, etc. In which case, you might enjoy a relaxed holiday/ recovery time somewhere, even if you save the walking for next time.

My mom had a similarly disappointing experience last year: she slipped and broke her foot running to catch a connecting flight to join me on the Camino (all the way from South Africa!) ... Months of planning, a 12 hour flight to Europe, and then for that to happen at the last minute, what are the chances? - in any case, we ended up having a very different experience to what we'd originally planned, and we also learned a few things... about taking care of the body, taking things as they come, and not taking things for granted.

Based on the doctor's advice, I think postponing your camino might be a good idea. You might harm yourself further, and possibly do irreparable damage. Maybe your first "camino lesson" is to take care of yourself!

View attachment 45566
Help!! Damaged LCL yesterday and I’m supposed to fly to France tomorrow to start my Camino.
My doctor says go and walk a km a day! I’ll finish when I’m a hundred and eight. Do I go? Stay? Aarghhh! I just stepped wrong in the garden- nothing dramatic. I spent yesterday crying and icing and icing and crying. I’m truly beside myself trying to decide. I can walk but it hurts. I bought a brace that costs more then my first car, and a tens machine.
I guess I’m just feeling sorry for myself and no one in my non Camino world gets it.

This is sorta the way I would process this if I were the one hurt. I'm just sharing this perspective, not telling you that you should do the same. :)

The most critical part of this decision algorithm is the refundability status of airline tickets. If they are refundable with a doctor's note, that takes a bit of strain off my shoulders for the potential loss of money.

Next, I need to decide if I can rearrange my time off for the future after my healing is complete and I know when I want to reschedule my Camino.

Then, if there is no problem with either of the above, it comes down to the arena of immediate gratification and my willingness to delay my trip so that I am not starting with an injury which could become more aggravated and force me to end up stopping the Camino and returning home anyway. In that scenario, I've lost the refundability of my tickets (even with trip insurance, this is a pre-existing condition), and then I also need to deal with saving up more vacation time that I've now expended.

Yours is not a simple aggravation or a permanent condition... it is a temporary injury that will heal if allowed to do so. So at this point, to me, the question becomes: Do I want to start a Camino with an injury that needs time to heal -- and perhaps may do so if I go -- but will also hurt and thereby focus my attention on it, which will then color my Camino experience from the outset. Plus the potential for it to become worse, forcing a stop to my Camino altogether.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, no...I'm so sorry @spagirl !
I can't 'like' your post, really not.
Naturally you feel what you feel...so no need to apologize.

What to do?
Practically, can you walk with that brace, with minimal pain? If so you might be able to get away with it. If not, think short term gratification versus long term consequences: if you are in a significant amount of pain to start with, and add the repetitive stress of walking day after day, you may be risking the long-term functionality of that knee.
The Camino will still be there later, but you only have two knees and you need them both.
(Speaking as someone who once habitually pushed through limits and is now living with the consequences...)

Always do as the doctor says. Go! and walk a km a day. From Pamplona. After that km take a taxi. Since walking is easier without the backpack, have it transported. And use poles.

It may not be the Camino you were looking for, but it will be an interesting one.

I agree with @MinaKamina . Go, start a bit ahead, go slowly and have your bag transported if needed. Take your time, and see how this different camino developes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@spagirl

Oh no!!
What an awful thing to happen!

I don’t know your views on serendipity ... or in your case its very opposite :( ... but if this happened to me, I would ‘listen’.
I’d be devastated, resentful, tearful, angry ... I’d be cursing myself ... but I wouldn’t go.
I’d wait ... and allow my body to restore itself, until I was strong enough for as many future Caminos as I could manage.

May you mend quickly, in body and heart. :)

View attachment 45566
Oh, so sorry to hear this, @spagirl

Two weeks before my first Camino (with my mom) in 2009 I twisted my right ankle while jogging. After that I have never trained for Camino, kind of a superstition I guess. I made it to Logrono in tears and on Ibuprofen. Doctor at ER said I already have torn tendons and that I have to go home. I did. But I also did 9 different Caminos after that.

Can you try to walk Valcarlos route on asphalt all the way? That's what I did. And also avoid steep downhill to Zubiri staying again on main road (a bit longer)?
Make short stages and possibly move your return flight to later date.

Wish you all the best. I really know how you are feeling right now, I do!

Ultreia!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@spagirl sorry to hear about your injury. Your doctor is correct in a way...start slow less km per day then build up and use the TENS every day and ice as needed. Ask the doctor for some specifics on mechanics of walking if you decide to walk. Maybe use pack transport to take the weight off. If you were home they would just prescribe pyhsio therapy (rehab) any way so the camino will help to strengenten it I hope. Taxi and bus if necessary until you get to the 100km point then you should be better. The brace will help but I would recommend trekking poles...antishock is better but regular poles will help. If you have extreme pain seek help. I walked with a giant brace (cyborg turtle) on one leg...soothing a torn miniscus on the other. Good luck and Buen Camino

As far as airlines if you decide not to go ...get a letter from the doctor to give to the airlines..they might be able to give you a delay on your ticket instead of the cancellation if it not refundable. Another suggestion is if you bought trip insurance you might be able to file a claim

Last edited:
So sorry Spagirl! This is one of those situations o my you can decide... I’m sure if you went you’d enjoy the trip regardless but would it be what you wanted for a first Camino. Think about the options make a decision and know you’re doing the best you can! Good luck

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Spa ... let your body heal for another day, month, year, and decades. If you screw it up, you may be limping when your 60. We cancelled last year due to wife getting really sick. Real world won that battle. You want your Camino to be special, not filled with pain management and minimal hikes. My thoughts, obviously different than the optimists above?!

So sorry!! As sugargypsy says, only you know your situation. It also depends on where you're coming from, and whether or not you've already taken the time off work, etc. In which case, you might enjoy a relaxed holiday/ recovery time somewhere, even if you save the walking for next time.

My mom had a similarly disappointing experience last year: she slipped and broke her foot running to catch a connecting flight to join me on the Camino (all the way from South Africa!) ... Months of planning, a 12 hour flight to Europe, and then for that to happen at the last minute, what are the chances? - in any case, we ended up having a very different experience to what we'd originally planned, and we also learned a few things... about taking care of the body, taking things as they come, and not taking things for granted.

Based on the doctor's advice, I think postponing your camino might be a good idea. You might harm yourself further, and possibly do irreparable damage. Maybe your first "camino lesson" is to take care of yourself!
Please, everybody, do not run in order to catch transport. I had a friend who was running to catch a London bus, fell over and broke her leg. And missed the bus... The sad thing is, there would have been another one along shortly thereafter. It may be irksome to miss a bus/train/plane, but there will always be another one, so be kind to yourself and others and avoid injury.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@spagirl I am so sorry for you and, regardless of whether you go ahead or not, I do hope the healing is fast and complete. I don't have any specific advice because I don't know your personal circumstances (work, family commitments, ability to re-schedule) or the severity of the injury.

But it does reinforce my need to take out travel insurance as soon as I buy a ticket, or to activate my travel insurance attached to my credit card. That way if something happens before I leave, I will not be out of pocket.

@spagirl I am so sorry for you and, regardless of whether you go ahead or not, I do hope the healing is fast and complete. I don't have any specific advice because I don't know your personal circumstances (work, family commitments, ability to re-schedule) or the severity of the injury.

But it does reinforce my need to take out travel insurance as soon as I buy a ticket, or to activate my travel insurance attached to my credit card. That way if something happens before I leave, I will not be out of pocket.

Actually, even though we had comprehensive travel insurance which we took out when we booked our flights, we were still $1200 out of pocket when we had to change our dates for medical reasons

View attachment 45566

We are all thinking about you! Let us know how you are and whether you decided to go? Do keep us posted!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 45566
Hi spagirl,
I do understand what you are going through!!
I have done something to my shoulder that is affecting the movement of lifting across the opposite side.
I am petrified the backpack will be too heavy therefore.. bag transfer for one!
is healing slowly and I am leaving in 3 weeks.
Tried voltarol,ibrufen gel, bio freeze gel( the best) and now useing arnica gel..the most effective in my case.
This is why I am writing to you.. arnica is excellent..it may work for you too. Still hard to advice on a medical issue so important as your legs are.. be sensible.. do what you can without undermining your health..and if this means to use a number of things to support your walking..consider it..and continue with the post walk rest and ice packs. I send you my best wishes to prompt recovery...buen Camino..

Thank you so much for all of the support.
I’ve decided to go ahead and if I walk 10 minutes and quit for the day so be it.
Maybe in the end it will be exactly the Camino that I needed!
Maybe I’ll spend a day sitting by the road handing out frozen treats????
Who knows? I will be in Spain.
Every thing else will unfold as it is supposed to.
Maybe I’ll set a record for the slowest Camino?
Stop and say hi if you see me in December still walking! lol

I'd have gone too, but at my typical start points, I'd have just delayed setting off for a few days.

Things like airplanes do so complicate things ... :eek:

Savor the journey! My husband and I were scheduled to begin our Camino September 2, but be ruptured his Achilles tendon and required surgery. (Simply unecessarily chasing the dog who is so old she can hardly walk) We decided to postpone til Spring, but I admire your gumption and spirit of adventure! Buen Camino.

I would go but I would also ask your doctor about when and how you can gradually increase the distance. I presume you won't be walking 1 km a day for the rest of your life! Start with a km a day, shipping your backpack and using poles and taking a taxi or some other ride after your daily allotment of walking. Hopefully, you can gradually increase the walking and reduce the riding.

€83,-
I’ve decided to go ahead and if I walk 10 minutes and quit for the day so be it.

Wow!

Baby that knee.

Buen slow walking camino!

If the doctor says 1 km per day, it is severe. You can have a wonderful holiday as a touragrino, but it you want to walk, save for a healed time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi spagirl,
Good you are going with safety in your mind. Don't forget the poles, I find them a real help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 45566
if you re going to loose your air fare in fees you might as well go and see how you feel after a few days. dont overdo things if you do come home early you will have at least had a glimpse of how it is

Sending you healing and admire your courage. All will be well

Wishing you all the best, spagirl!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey! Spa girl! How are you today? I am waiting to hear how the flight went, where you are, how you are getting from where to where... and now let me confess that I had to look up LCL. First thing that showed was Less Than a Full Load. So I kept digging... Pity you don’t have access to Patrick Pio’s glove. I swear, I know someone who used to speak of Patrick Pio, as if he was born and bred in Holy Cross, Co Tipperary! Just make sure you keep the pain under control, with whatever your doctor prescribed. Ultreia!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know how important your LCL is for riding a bicycle but if you can't walk comfortably, you may want to look into renting a bike AND there are E-bikes also available on the Camino which require virtually no muscle effort if using the highest assist setting but your leg and knee motion still has to go through the pedaling motion. At the end of each day it takes about 6 hours to recharge your battery and at the highest assist level it should still propel you 15 - 20 Km. It will be a totally different camino experience but what better time to try something different if you can't walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back