• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Life-size Bronze Statues

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Inspired by the recent "Winding Road" and "Little Sculpture" threads, I thought I'd start another one on bronze statues on the Camino/s.
I will start with my favorite; the iconic Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, and take the liberty of posting all three of my photos as I couldn't decide on just one angle, so I did head to tail end.🙂
Screenshot_20240301-101306~2.png
Screenshot_20240301-101248~2.png
Screenshot_20240301-101409~2.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a great cartoon, and nearly right on topic...minus the bronze metal! 🤣
OK. Here is a substantial chunk of very strange bronze. The very angular and slightly disturbing figures on the modern basilica in La Virgen del Camino. A radical change from all the medieval and baroque art along the Camino Frances.

IMG_20230122_111114.jpg

Camino Frances
León
plaza de San Marcelo
sculpture of Antonio Gaudi

photo taken November 11, 2011

Leon 2011.jpg

Impeccable in bronze the architect Antonio Gaudi sits on a bench sketching while facing the Casa Botines the fabric warehouse/factory he designed c.1892 which is now a museum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK. Here is a substantial chunk of very strange bronze. The very angular and slightly disturbing figures on the modern basilica in La Virgen del Camino. A radical change from all the medieval and baroque art along the Camino Frances.

View attachment 165290

And absolutely hideous! When I stared at them all I could think of was LOTR's Nazgul!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 165290
Despite the outside appearance, it is a very cool church. Phil and I attended Mass there on our first Camino. The brothers all processed in singing and each had different roles in the Mass. It appeared that each has his own confessional as well with names on the outside. After the service, several of them joined families for a meal or a drink at the cafe across the street. Everyone seemed very engaged as a part of the community.

We had a lot of fun with the statues in Burgos on our rest day Camino 2014 2014-05-27 011.JPG

Feeling skinny Camino 2014 2014-05-28 015.JPG
I'm a knitter (and now I peer over the top of my glasses though I didn't wear them then) so my kids insisted on getting this photoIMG_1273.JPG

And on the way to the bus station when hubby/dad was about to go home we found this man trying to tell him to stop and stay to walk with us Camino 2014 2014-05-29 006.JPG

Despite the outside appearance, it is a very cool church. Phil and I attended Mass there on our first Camino. The brothers all processed in singing and each had different roles in the Mass. It appeared that each has his own confessional as well with names on the outside. After the service, several of them joined families for a meal or a drink at the cafe across the street. Everyone seemed very engaged as a part of the community.
What a wonderful experience you had. It reminds me of the old saying, "It's not what's on the outside, but the inside that matters".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

View attachment 165290

The sculptor was just mentioned on the Little Sculpture thread regarding something he did for the monastery at Monserrat. The discussion starts there at post #22 and continues to post 27. Here's the slightly edited introduction to his Wikipedia page:

Josep Maria Subirachs i Sitjar (11 March 1927 – 7 April 2014) was a Spanish sculptor and painter of the late 20th century. His best known work is probably the Passion Facade of the basilica of the Sagrada Família in Barcelona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last edited:
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Vigo! A fantastically creative area for sculpture, especially ones inspired by the sea.

Here is one from nearby Redondela - Monument to Captain Nemo, by Sergio Portela Campos (whose parents were famous architects in Galicia). At low tide you can see two divers searching for lost treasures from the Battle of Rande / Battle of Vigo Bay, which took place in 1702. Author Jules Verne was apparently a huge fan of the area.
CaptainNemo.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here are two well known statues that can be easily missed in Santiago as they are located off the Camino Francés.

T07000-HOR.jpg

El Peregrino (above) is located off the Camino (at least the Camino Francés) in the Praza da Paz in Santiago.

The statue of the two pointing pilgrims, Monumento ao camiñante, is located a short distance off the Camino Francés at Monte Gozo. The CF runs along Rúa de Gozo to the north of the monument.

Rick, I love the statue immersed in green foliage. Definitely missed seeing it.
The first time I walked into Santiago, I also missed seeing these two happy pilgrims arriving in Santiago. They are so perfect standing on the hill with the city and cathedral below.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rick, I love the statue immersed in green foliage. Definitely missed seeing it.
The first time I walked into Santiago, I also missed seeing these two happy pilgrims arriving in Santiago.
I missed the Monte Gozo pilgrims too, thus no photo was posted for it. I added their location so fewer of us will do so. El Peregrino was a lucky find. Peg and I took a trial walk from our lodging to the (old) bus station and he came out of hiding.

Now, for one from León.

Q07230-HOR.jpg

Figura Sentada con Párajo, Seated Figure with Parrot, is located near the seated Gaudí statue outside of Casa Botines which he designed.

Here are two bronzes on the Camino Primitivo - one from Oviedo and the other from Lugo.

lechera.jpg La Lechera (the milkmaid) is in a plaza near the covered market in Oviedo.

Lugo founders.jpg The Roman founders of Lugo are in the main plaza

There are other bronzes in Oviedo including La Regina near the Cathedral so if you like bronze statues Oviedo is worth exploring for them.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
These three are on the Ruta do Mar (Ribadeo - San Andres - Santiago)

foz-fish seller.jpg The fish seller on the quay side in Foz near the church

burela.jpg Workmen in a plaza in Burela

pig-Espasante.jpg A pig in Espasante near the town centre

Here are two bronzes on the Camino Primitivo - one from Oviedo and the other from Lugo.
I have spent an extra day in both Oviedo and Lugo, but do not recall seeing either of these!
In Oviedo, this sculpture of the traveling man with suitcase has stood out to me both times I have been there.
Screenshot_20240302-101235~2.png
In Lugo, this one of the four people has a lot of character.
Screenshot_20240302-101453~2.png
As an afterthought, I am wondering when a sculpture has a blueish patina, if the metal is part copper as I am unsure if bronze "turns" in time.

Last edited:
Leaving Porto along the river you will encounter "The Messenger" who brings "good hope to the city of Porto." Sculptor: Irene Vilar

View attachment 165379
I can't figure this one out. It has angel wings with a female face, but very short hair and wearing manly clothes/pants and is kneeling...a very unusual combination, invoking a lot of thought for me.🤔

I have spent an extra day in both Oviedo and Lugo, but do not recall seeing either of these!
In Oviedo, this sculpture of the traveling man with suitcase has stood out to me both times I have been there.
View attachment 165383
In Lugo, this one of the four people has a lot of character.
View attachment 165384
We saw the man with the suitcase but didn't take a photo. The four people is one we did not see.
Also in Oviedo is a double sided over-size bronze of a 'posterior' - not posted as we only took the photo for our small grand-daughter for a laugh as she had seen a similar wicker-work one and said 'That's rude Grandma'. The said bronze is by the main route through Oviedo coming from the cathedral.

€46,-
Yes, "hideous" is a good adjective to describe it.
Hi Crissy,
The word hideous is like a magnet drawing one to investigate more thoroughly. Quasimodo outwardly hideous but inwardly noble. Why is that?

So the comments have led me to find the basilica’s website which details history, art and administration. There are some highly evocative works of art that are unique to the way. Here is the link.

virgendelcamino.dominicos.es

The footprint of the basilica is not pleasing to the eye like the soaring gothic structures, but the website explains it is box-like to represent the tomb of our Lord. Mother church with us from womb to tomb.

The centerpiece of the fantastic retablo is a Pieta, which I admire as the most sublime evocative motif that captures the love of all mothers for their children, and especially for those children killed in warfare for justice, as Jesus died fighting for his truth. Some think we worship statues like this, but it is the deep feelings which they evoke that we treasure, feelings too foreign to our mundane life to access without the prompting from the art.

The hideous sculptures on the facade are reminiscent of those (non-hideous) on the facade of Igelsia del Sancto Sepulcro at the entrance to Estella. The different attitudes of people in the 12th Century from those of 1961 are displayed by comparing the two facades.

Thanks for calling our attention to these sculptures, some pose-worthy and others thought-worthy. I am reminded of a comment a woman I know shared years ago: “God doesn’t see ugly.”

Warm regards,
Joe

Thanks for sharing this. This basilica is much greater than the sum of its parts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for sharing this. This basilica is much greater than the sum of its parts.
Thanks, @Joe Walsh, for researching details about the Basilica. Although a bit shocking on the outside, but obviously is filled with hidden internal "gems" to be enjoyed on the inside as expressed so well by Janet, which I appreciated hearing.
I recall using the restroom's opposite the entry doors; a blessing in its own way.🙂
I like what you say and agree...Some statues are pose-worthy, others are thought-worthy; so true.

Thanks, @Joe Walsh, for researching details about the Basilica. Although a bit shocking on the outside, but obviously is filled with hidden internal "gems" to be enjoyed on the inside as expressed so well by Janet, which I appreciated hearing.
I recall using the restroom's opposite the entry doors; a blessing in its own way.🙂
I like what you say and agree...Some statues are pose-worthy, others are thought-worthy; so true.
There are fantastic exterior bronze doors and stained glass windows made in Chartres. Photos of the old sanctuary and construction of the present. The legend of an apparition of Our Lady and the founding. Good website.

Janet’s description of a service there is so good. Thanks, Janet!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A fishwife looking in vain for the return of her husband - a memorial to fishermen lost at sea in Llanes (other side of porto to the 'Cubos')

DSCF1125.JPG

There is an Roman Eagle on a pole in one of the small plazas in Lugo

Lugo - eagle.JPG

Blessings
Terry B

There is an Roman Eagle on a pole in one of the small plazas in Lugo
I got curious. Here's a translation from a Flickr page:

Bimillenary Monument (Plaza de Santo Domingo) [Lugo]

Presiding over the Plaza de Santo Domingo, in Lugo, is this eagle made of cast bronze to celebrate the second millennium of the founding of Lugo by the Romans, and represents the Roman imperial eagle found in various archaeological excavations.

It is located on a 15 m granite column. high, designed by architect Antonio González Trigo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Inspired by the recent "Winding Road" and "Little Sculpture" threads, I thought I'd start another one on bronze statues on the Camino/s.
I will start with my favorite; the iconic Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, and take the liberty of posting all three of my photos as I couldn't decide on just one angle, so I did head to tail end.🙂
View attachment 165277
View attachment 165278
View attachment 165279
have to admit, running of the bulls is my favourite. That was St Patricks day 2013 and tat was my son trying to outrun those pesky bulls lol

Attachments

• 2013-03-17_0332.JPG
    2013-03-17_0332.JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 33
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also in Oviedo is a double sided over-size bronze of a 'posterior'
IMG_2878.jpeg

It is affectionately refered to as “El Culo.”

Oviedo probably has more statuary than any similar-size Spanish city I’ve been in.

The mother and child by Botero is referred to as “La Gorda.”

IMG_2868.jpeg

The statue by the cathedral has been in lots of pilgrim pictures.

IMG_3532.jpeg

And one that is apparently life-size but shows you how short Woody Allen is!

IMG_2933.jpeg

Woody Allen won the Príncipe de Asturias prize in the early 2000s. In his acceptance speech he gushed about Oviedo, and the words are on the bronze plaque in the street (in Spanish, this is a translation):

Oviedo is a delicious city, exotic, beautiful, clean, pleasant, calm and pedestrianised, like it does not belong to this world, as if it didn't exist... Oviedo is like a fairy tale"

His 2008 film Vicky Cristina Barcelona was filmed in part in Oviedo as well - the caretaker up at the Naranco monuments told me that though Penelope Cruz was very nice to work with, Javier Bardem was very “pijo” and would not keep his hands off the ancient walls when they were filming despite repeated requests.

Attachments

• IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
The mother and child by Botero is referred to as “La Gorda.”
There is an extraordinary fresco of the Madonna and child by Botero in a church in Pietrasanta on the Via Francigena.

And one that is apparently life-size but shows you how short Woody Allen is!
I was looking through all the pictures before going to read about them. I was thinking "Who's the Spaniard that looks like Woody Allen?"

Botero must prefer to fixate on the "Chubbies".
Adam shows signs that he's loved quite a bit.

Gaudi in LeonIMG_3307.jpegIMG_3155.jpegVillalcazar de Sirga
I've got these too. Peg's kissing Gaudí, her favorite architect and sitting at the table in Villalcazar about a half hour before the meseta sickness struck her (the next day she was bedridden).

Here's a life-sized sculpture with many reproductions:
T07300-HOR.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 165290
I actually love them… they remind me of very early Gothic exaggerated/elongated representations.

A very interesting sculpture. I guess Botero isn't the only one who sculpts "plump" people.
I saw this striking public art exhibit by the same artist - Ramón Conde, in August 2014. These figures, on the balconies of the Casa del Calbido facing the cathedral in the Praza das Praterias were two of several others and apparently the exhibit caused some concern from the church!

IMG_6435.jpeg

www.ramonconde.com

In 1995, he sculpted the bronze figure of Alonso III Fonseca, the Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela 1507-1523, supporter of the University of Santiago de Compostela and a patron of scholars, artists and humanists. The sculpture sits in the courtyard of the College of Fonseca in Santiago.

IMG_5048.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
David, I do not understand what appears to be people disgracing this concrete statue with stones. It looks disrespectful to me and like graffiti in a way by piling up stones that don't belong. Am I missing something here? I do not read Spanish. I would have been tempted to take them all away.

€149,-
David, I do not understand what appears to be people disgracing this concrete statue with stones. It looks disrespectful to me and like graffiti in a way by piling up stones that don't belong. Am I missing something here? I do not read Spanish. I would have been tempted to take them all away.
The sign says, in Gallego, as translated by DeepL, 'Under the slogan "Walking to Equality" a script in which each participant placed a stone. Some of these stones bore the name of a woman killed by violence during the year, later incorporated into the monument.' Perhaps some are carrying this forward.

I'm guessing that people may be leaving stones by in honour or memory of women they have known. I see the stones as no more disgraceful (or disgracing) than the stones that are left at the Cruz de Ferro. But then again, I come from a cultural tradition where it is considered respectful and considerate to leave stones at a funerary monument to honour those commemorated by the monument. In our cemeteries, the gravestones often have a collection of pebbles left by those who have visited.

Neither of us can know what was really in the minds of people leaving the stones.

I see the stones as no more disgraceful (or disgracing) than the stones that are left at the Cruz de Ferro.
I personally see it as entirely different looking than the ones placed at the bottom of CdF. Not knowing Spanish, all I see are rocks strewn on the woman, but hearing the reason for the statue, somewhat softens my thoughts about it. My own opinion would be to leave stones at the bottom of the statue instead of "on" it.

But then again, I come from a cultural tradition where it is considered respectful and considerate to leave stones at a funerary monument to honour those commemorated by the monument.
One of the more powerful but painful memories I have is of joining with others in placing a yahrzeit candle and small pebble on the site of one of the Auschwitz crematoria. I would have placed your particular example of the statue of the woman much more in that tradition rather than the current fad for stone stacking into cairns and more elaborate shapes which does feel intrusive and insensitive.

Thank you Theatregal and Camino Chrissy for the interesting back-and forth on sculptor Ramón Conde. I really like the photos and learned there is another word for chubby/plump - Herculean! I'll use that one in the future 😅 Now I also read that the style can also go back to Romanesque (cherubs, etc - but probably not in bronze)? Definitely different and unique, I appreciate learning about him and will keep an eye out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The bronze pilgrim boot at Finisterre. August 2013. I've heard that the boot may no longer be there?
I loved that boot and have my own photo from my first Camino in 2015 and hope it is still there. You had a clever idea to post the picture and it is probably "life size"!
Screenshot_20240312-192205~2.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back