• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Name the one thing you could never have prepared for

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
We train a lot, and we read about different topics, but I'm sure there's always something that happens on the Camino that you can't anticipate. It can be good or bad, name one thing all the preparation and reading could not have helped or changed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No idea how it happens, but it happens every time, no matter what footwear I have on. The good news is that the toe nail falls off after the skin underneath has reinforced itself so it's not raw tissue. In a few more Camnios I am convinced my "index" toes will not longer have a nail... What I did to protect the newnail bed the first time is to use those corn pads for extra cushioning.

Ok, what else did I not expect: drunks in albergues, walking with an umbrella and thinking it's the best Camino rain gear, being the only non-German in an albergue of 20.

Things I should have prepared for: plantar fasciitis: visit your podiatrist before heading out!!!!

No idea how it happens, but it happens every time, no matter what footwear I have on. The good news is that the toe nail falls off after the skin underneath has reinforced itself so it's not raw tissue. In a few more Camnios I am convinced my "index" toes will not longer have a nail... What I did to protect the newnail bed the first time is to use those corn pads for extra cushioning.

Ok, what else did I not expect: drunks in albergues, walking with an umbrella and thinking it's the best Camino rain gear, being the only non-German in an albergue of 20.

Things I should have prepared for: plantar fasciitis: visit your podiatrist before heading out!!!!
*writes down corn pads on items list* ... Seriously, this thing frightens me. I hope I come back with all my toe nails intact.
Oh yeah, I hear certain people do enjoy the wine over there - haha..
How long before you ditched the umbrella and replaced it with something else? What do you use now?
Man, all Germans, were they a group? Seems Spanish is not the only convo guide you need to buy!

Oh, no! Umbrella is the best thing out there, and Germans not a group, just today's reality on the Camino: Germans75%, Dutch another 10%? and than the rest...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We train a lot, and we read about different topics, but I'm sure there's always something that happens on the Camino that you can't anticipate. It can be good or bad, name one thing all the preparation and reading could not have helped or changed.
The 'wonderful' feeling of being there, on the Camino. I say wonderful because I don't really know how to describe it! Elation might be a better word...

The whole d*mn catastrophe!

...and I thought that I was just going for a long walk across a country to help an old friend achieve a dream. Right and wrong on so many counts :rolleyes:

I've done a lot of trekking in many amazing and isolated places in this world but the Camino was - and remains - something special... beyond anything that words can describe.

Kudos to Anemone - losing toenails :confused:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Name the one thing you could never have prepared for. We train a lot, and we read about different topics, but I'm sure there's always something that happens on the Camino that you can't anticipate. It can be good or bad, name one thing all the preparation and reading could not have helped or changed.

The fact that my dad died, completely unexpectedly, at home in Canada while I was walking my first Camino, the night I was in Astorga.

Before I went to walk the first time I'd read that there would be some Camino surprise, something unexpected that would happen, and that even if I thought I knew what it was, then that would turn out not to be the thing. The thing would be something truly unexpected. For me, a knee injury (which resulted from walking too far too fast in my first few days), when I'd never had any knee trouble before, was what I thought the surprise was. It changed my expectations about how I'd planned to walk every step of the Camino, and I wrestled with myself a bunch about getting on a bus (and then a train) to journey across a few sections of the Way. And then Dad died. And that changed everything. But it opened up my life and my heart to even more beauty than I already knew, and it was a gift to be able to stay on the Camino and finish like I knew he would have wanted me to. Now he walks with me, everywhere. :)

It's one of a multitude of reasons why I love to go back and walk again.

I see you plan to go in 2018. What a delicious amount of time to plan and prepare, but also to let go and not plan too much. ;)

Buen Camino!

Rachel/Caminoheart

The one thing? Tough question. A few things 'caught me out'.
I might have to list a 'few'.

The emotional highs and lows.
The pure joy......... when the lows are not happening :-(
The amazing camaraderie and friendship
The simple pleasure of having 'made it' at the end of each day
The inner peace and calm that is hard to find elsewhere
The spiritual growth that is there if you are open to it

And the realisation that we make life way too complicated ;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Falling flat on my face (literally) on a sunny morning and where the path was smooth, flat, and without anything to trip over (except my feet, obviously). One moment I was cruising along at morning pace and then before I knew what had happened I was hitting the ground like an axed tree.
I was lucky. Nothing broke. But my face was swollen and purple for almost 2 weeks afterward.
At first I thought it was a 'bad' thing that had happened...but then over the next days there were the most amazing kindnesses that came my way as a result. Beginning immediately when the people around me helped me find my feet again and insisted on not going ahead until they were certain that I was OK. At first it was not so easy to accept help, and I was embarrassed by how I looked, but everyone was so kind: hospitaleras, people in pharmacias, fellow pilgrims, folks in towns.
And I gained a deeper and more humble understanding that you never know what's around the next corner...but that things would be fine no matter what. And that we really do need each other.
You can't prepare for this kind of blessing. It just comes.:)

Last edited:
Like Viranani I, too, fell flat on my face but later met camino angels.

November 1, 2004, after crossing the long medieval bridge over the river Orbigo I entered the town of Hospital de Órbigo. Attempting to photograph the parish church I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! Gently two pilgrims helped me up. An egg was quickly swelling on my forehead (by day’s end I resembled Cyclopes). After exiting the Día de todos los Santos mass a kind Spanish couple appproached and the man said “Don’t worry, madam, I am a Chevalier de Santiago and will help”. They quickly took me to the regional hospital, where I was told to rest, and see a doctor again the following day.

The couple graciously invited me to lunch at their house. My host explained that the Chevaliers de Santiago are a group of Catholic men, who have been nominated to become members and who pledge to foster the Camino and help all pilgrims. In the Spanish custom lunch lasted at least four hours! Two charming adult sons cut my food while I alternately held ice to my head and tryied to eat with my left hand since the right shoulder and arm were extremely painful. Nevertheless, how, lucky I was to be able to move and to have met a family of guardian angels.

Early next morning the Chevalier and the local priest walked into the albergue dorm to see how I was doing! The priest, the Chevalier and his wife accompanied me to the local doctor's office adjacent to the church. When we four entered the examination room, the Chevalier said to the doctor “Another one has fallen!” It seemed that earlier other pilgrims had also stumbled on that same paving where I tripped. Again I ate with the Chevalier and his family.

..Now after all these years I still fondly remember their kindnesses and spontaneous gracious hospitality. It was, indeed, heartfelt camino caritas.

Margaret Meredith

This is such a beautiful story, Margaret--thank you for sharing it.
The spirit of the Camino shines in all the Camino angels along the way. And in spite of increased numbers, that spirit is still there.
I had not heard of the Chevaliers de Santiago and find myself tearing up a little to think of this kindness and commitment to service...it is deeply touching.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your kind comments Viranani. Two sites in particular along the CF are associated with the Chevaliers de Santiago; one is historic, the other contemporary.

An extraordinary medieval complex is Vilar de Donas just east of Palas de Rei. (See more info in this earlier Forum thread.) Recently restored these wall paintings and tombs are very special at what was the medieval headquarters of the Chevaliers de Santiago.

Another more contemporary location is within the tedious industrial strip known as the Parque Empresarial de la Madanela, along the N 547 roadway on the eastern edge of Melide. Here a series of large stellae name and commemorate the Chevaliers de Santiago of more recent centuries.

The fact that my dad died, completely unexpectedly, at home in Canada while I was walking my first Camino, the night I was in Astorga.

Before I went to walk the first time I'd read that there would be some Camino surprise, something unexpected that would happen, and that even if I thought I knew what it was, then that would turn out not to be the thing. The thing would be something truly unexpected. For me, a knee injury (which resulted from walking too far too fast in my first few days), when I'd never had any knee trouble before, was what I thought the surprise was. It changed my expectations about how I'd planned to walk every step of the Camino, and I wrestled with myself a bunch about getting on a bus (and then a train) to journey across a few sections of the Way. And then Dad died. And that changed everything. But it opened up my life and my heart to even more beauty than I already knew, and it was a gift to be able to stay on the Camino and finish like I knew he would have wanted me to. Now he walks with me, everywhere. :)

It's one of a multitude of reasons why I love to go back and walk again.

I see you plan to go in 2018. What a delicious amount of time to plan and prepare, but also to let go and not plan too much. ;)

Buen Camino!

Rachel/Caminoheart
My sympathies, Rachel :( I couldn't imagine going through something like that while so far away from home.
I'm glad to see you've turned the whole thing into something positive.
Yes, I'm planning for 2018 :) I wanted to go since last summer lol. The time until then will be mostly spent getting my body ready for the long trek and putting the necessary funds aside.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one thing? Tough question. A few things 'caught me out'.
I might have to list a 'few'.

The emotional highs and lows.
The pure joy......... when the lows are not happening :-(
The amazing camaraderie and friendship
The simple pleasure of having 'made it' at the end of each day
The inner peace and calm that is hard to find elsewhere
The spiritual growth that is there if you are open to it

And the realisation that we make life way too complicated ;)
How wonderful :) I do wish to experience these feelings while over there!

Like Viranani I, too, fell flat on my face but later met camino angels.

November 1, 2004, after crossing the long medieval bridge over the river Orbigo I entered the town of Hospital de Órbigo. Attempting to photograph the parish church I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! Gently two pilgrims helped me up. An egg was quickly swelling on my forehead (by day’s end I resembled Cyclopes). After exiting the Día de todos los Santos mass a kind Spanish couple appproached and the man said “Don’t worry, madam, I am a Chevalier de Santiago and will help”. They quickly took me to the regional hospital, where I was told to rest, and see a doctor again the following day.

The couple graciously invited me to lunch at their house. My host explained that the Chevaliers de Santiago are a group of Catholic men, who have been nominated to become members and who pledge to foster the Camino and help all pilgrims. In the Spanish custom lunch lasted at least four hours! Two charming adult sons cut my food while I alternately held ice to my head and tryied to eat with my left hand since the right shoulder and arm were extremely painful. Nevertheless, how, lucky I was to be able to move and to have met a family of guardian angels.

Early next morning the Chevalier and the local priest walked into the albergue dorm to see how I was doing! The priest, the Chevalier and his wife accompanied me to the local doctor's office adjacent to the church. When we four entered the examination room, the Chevalier said to the doctor “Another one has fallen!” It seemed that earlier other pilgrims had also stumbled on that same paving where I tripped. Again I ate with the Chevalier and his family.

..Now after all these years I still fondly remember their kindnesses and spontaneous gracious hospitality. It was, indeed, heartfelt camino caritas.

Margaret Meredith
It's amazing all the stories you hear about locals helping pilgrims. I didn't know that Chevalier group existed, it's a nice initiative. It's true that everyone's camino is different, what you experienced with them is unique. Sorry to hear about your injury, but at the same time, even if I wish so bad nothing happens when I go on my own camino, it seems that the bad things end up getting turned into positive things.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was surprised how much time there is in a day. Here at home I have many conveniences and many modern appliances that help me get more things done in a day. While on Camino I had few if any of these and yet there was always time to listen and talk and pray, make new friends, share leisurely meals, walk to the store, attend church services, hand wash and air dry laundry, etc. all while walking many miles a day. The days all seemed longer than normal and I didn't miss any modern conveniences that I can remember. Now that I am back home it is all so familiar and comfortable and I am mostly back in the rut and can't believe how little I accomplish. (I guess that should read: I can't believe how much time I spend on things that don't give me any satisfaction and don't really matter.)

I was surprised how much time there is in a day. Here at home I have many conveniences and many modern appliances that help me get more things done in a day. While on Camino I had few if any of these and yet there was always time to listen and talk and pray, make new friends, share leisurely meals, walk to the store, attend church services, hand wash and air dry laundry, etc. all while walking many miles a day. The days all seemed longer than normal and I didn't miss any modern conveniences that I can remember. Now that I am back home it is all so familiar and comfortable and I am mostly back in the rut and can't believe how little I accomplish. (I guess that should read: I can't believe how much time I spend on things that don't give me any satisfaction and don't really matter.)
I love this! It's so true how much time we waste on things that have little importance or bring us so little happiness at the end of the day! I guess the 'slowing down' aspect of the camino helps elongate time and allows to create moments and opportunities that otherwise wouldn't happen in our busy lives back home.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yup, the plantar fasciitis was what I was unprepared for as I'd never had it and I was a walker too. If you're over 40 go get an evaluation on need for orthodics.
After how long of walking did you develop the problem?

The 'wonderful' feeling of being there, on the Camino. I say wonderful because I don't really know how to describe it! Elation might be a better word...
A lighter thought than most, but mine occurred after a very long hot time/climb from Muxia out to Finisterre. My mind was constantly uploading pictures of an icy Coke, in the tall glass with the lemon slice like all of the bar/cafes serve. Just as I was about to give up, we topped a hill, and there, at a little logging cabin/operation, sat a Coca-Cola machine. Yep, in the middle of nowhere, after no services at all since Lires.....I am sure the people there were highly amused at these two pilgrimages, grimy and sweaty, digging in their packs for a Euro. I've prayed for a lot of miracles in my life, but a Coke machine was never on the list, particularly in that setting! Best drink of my life, and I almost feel like if I were to return, that place and that machine would not be there.

I thought I was the only one! This time I tried little silicone toe "sleeves" and my toes blistered under the nail but I didn't lose the nails. I've tried taping, extra vaseline, anything I can think of, and my shoes and socks are big enough that my toes don't touch the ends.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After how long of walking did you develop the problem?
We began in SJPP and my foot was painful by Burgos, and at Castrojeriz I had to give it up and make other plans. We backtracked to Burgos and took the bus to Leon. My husband finished the camino from there, and I met up with him here and there via taxi or bus. You know it was disappointing, but I enjoyed longer stays in Burgos and Astorga and I suppose I became a tourist. The next camino I'll take "the boot" to wear every night and I 'll be wearing orthodics which I do every day now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lovely encouraging discussion.
I have three memorable surprises that happened for us while we were walking in September 2014. .....
1. While walking across the meseta i mentioned to my husband that I had a fantasy of turning a corner and finding a man with a camp stove giving out cups of tea. Two days later in a tiny beautiful village we turned a corner and.......there he was, with a stall giving away freshly squeezed orange juice, apples, biscuits, and cups of tea!! All for a donation if we were able, such a gentle friendly person. (He received a large donation from me!)
2. Evensong with the nuns in Leon. Not to be missed, such a wonderful time of peace and harmony.
3. Walking the rocky hills on the day in to Astorga my ankle began to ache to the point where all i could do was hobble. My wonderful husband carried my pack as well as his own without complaint, bit I could see he was struggling. Then we reached the top of a particularly steep hill and met a group of 7 older walkers from France. Without a word from us about our plight they rearranged their own smaller packs, and an older gentleman just took my pack from my husband and we were off! We walked with them for about 7kms to the cross at the top of the hills into Astorga where they stopped for lunch and we kept going. All that way he carried my pack. We called them our camino angels.
Such wonderful memories. ...

Oh JRO, that goes beyond serendipity! What a special treat!
Reminds of a breast cancer climb when i was on Mt Baker. High camp. Lightening storm rolls in and guides won't let us summit. Think ice axe at a high point in lightening. We hoped and prayed for a window and after almost 24 hours the climb had to be calked off.
Snug in our tents, unable to cook that morning, the guides began passing out cold fruit toaster pops ( not sure europe has these, but the jelly-filled thin crusted breakfast treats are warmed in a toaster). We were all heart broken. I commented that the worst of it was, i only like the cinnamon toaster pops, and everyone was getting fruit. Only my tent mates heard the comment, but when the guide opened our door and threw one in, It was cinnamon

I thought I was the only one! This time I tried little silicone toe "sleeves" and my toes blistered under the nail but I didn't lose the nails. I've tried taping, extra vaseline, anything I can think of, and my shoes and socks are big enough that my toes don't touch the ends.
This is so crazy. I can't believe how frequent this seems to be :eek: I was planning on bringing toe sleeves, but only to avoid blisters on them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We began in SJPP and my foot was painful by Burgos, and at Castrojeriz I had to give it up and make other plans. We backtracked to Burgos and took the bus to Leon. My husband finished the camino from there, and I met up with him here and there via taxi or bus. You know it was disappointing, but I enjoyed longer stays in Burgos and Astorga and I suppose I became a tourist. The next camino I'll take "the boot" to wear every night and I 'll be wearing orthodics which I do every day now.
You still walked quite a bit, I'm sure you're proud of having trekked this far! :eek: ;) Good luck on your next camino...!

Last edited:
I have three memorable surprises that happened for us while we were walking in September 2014. .....
1. While walking across the meseta i mentioned to my husband that I had a fantasy of turning a corner and finding a man with a camp stove giving out cups of tea. Two days later in a tiny beautiful village we turned a corner and.......there he was, with a stall giving away freshly squeezed orange juice, apples, biscuits, and cups of tea!! All for a donation if we were able, such a gentle friendly person. (He received a large donation from me!)
2. Evensong with the nuns in Leon. Not to be missed, such a wonderful time of peace and harmony.
3. Walking the rocky hills on the day in to Astorga my ankle began to ache to the point where all i could do was hobble. My wonderful husband carried my pack as well as his own without complaint, bit I could see he was struggling. Then we reached the top of a particularly steep hill and met a group of 7 older walkers from France. Without a word from us about our plight they rearranged their own smaller packs, and an older gentleman just took my pack from my husband and we were off! We walked with them for about 7kms to the cross at the top of the hills into Astorga where they stopped for lunch and we kept going. All that way he carried my pack. We called them our camino angels.
Beautiful :) Number one is especially neat since you kinda foresaw it!
I keep reading about special times with nuns and other religious groups, I hope I stumble into something like that while on my camino. They are often mentioned as highlights.
Aw the last one is so sweet :) first, for your husband helping you out and then for the other pilgrims to give you guys a hand. It reminds me of the documentary 'Six ways to Santiago' when one of the pilgrims is helped in that same way during her camino.
Very nice stories! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The fact that it is so simple.
Would like to 'triple like' :)
What Fatma and domigee said...simplicity is one of the greatest joys of the way!

Why emotional pain? Was it from leaving people all the time?
The Camino is simple but not easy. Walking that distance can bring a lot to the surface that we may have 'put aside'. Which is actually good because for once there is the time and space to see and acknowledge and at least begin to work through it all.
And the sheer physicality of walking can difficult in itself, day after day after day.
So expect challenge.
And expect that with perseverance and patience you'll come to wonderful places in yourself that you would never have imagined.
Most of us are much better and braver than we think...and the Camino can show us that.

I can't believe how frequent this seems to be :eek: I was planning on bringing toe sleeves, but only to avoid blisters on them.
camster, Information is your friend! Check out these websites for lots of good tips:
http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/how-to-prevent-blisters
I use paper surgical tape that I wrap each blister-prone toe with several times. It's a gentle evening ritual after my shower, to take care of these long-suffering feet. I got sleeves for my first camino but find the tape better (for me--try and see for yourself...).
Toenails come and go--At first it can hurt a bit, but actually after a day or so it's not that big a deal.
Nor is it inevitable. Downhills can do this when the fit and lacing isn't exactly right.
Check this:
http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/toenail-blisters?rq=toenails

@Viranani Thank you so much for sharing this information and your insight. :)
Yes, it's true that physical activity can make emotions surface: I took some stretching sessions with a personnal trainer and remember starting to cry after holding a certain stretch and releasing it. Took me by surprise, I couldn't stop! The trainer was nice and said that this could happen. It was confusing since I didn't feel any particular emotion --but it just goes to show how everything is interconnected between the body and the mind.
I will definitely check out these links! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your kind comments Viranani. Two sites in particular along the CF are associated with the Chevaliers de Santiago; one is historic, the other contemporary.

An extraordinary medieval complex is Vilar de Donas just east of Palas de Rei. (See more info in this earlier Forum thread.) Recently restored these wall paintings and tombs are very special at what was the medieval headquarters of the Chevaliers de Santiago.

Another more contemporary location is within the tedious industrial strip known as the Parque Empresarial de la Madanela, along the N 547 roadway on the eastern edge of Melide. Here a series of large stellae name and commemorate the Chevaliers de Santiago of more recent centuries.
I had wondered what these were. I stopped to read a lot of the names....now I know. This fall I will read them again knowing what they did for you and for others. Thanks, Cherry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That I would be so emotional. That people,would be so kind and take your pack right out of your hands and help you to a bed and tell you to check in later when they see you have over extended yourself. That serendipity would be the norm rather than the exception. And much much more.

That I would be so emotional. That people,would be so kind and take your pack right out of your hands and help you to a bed and tell you to check in later when they see you have over extended yourself. That serendipity would be the norm rather than the exception. And much much more.
It's comforting to hear that it's not the exception, but 'the norm' like you said. I love hearing those stories! :)

€46,-
The one thing I never ever expected was experiencing a hurricane (Hurricane Henri to be exact) , while half way up the Napoleon route in September last year. Having to sit and huddle with other pilgrims on the open hillside for over an hour, and not being able to stand up let alone walk. Very memorable time. Ended up looking like something the cat dragged in when we finally reached Roncesvalles!

The absolute joy experienced at our arrival in Conques. We walked Le Puy to Conques in 9 days and it was tough. I was so happy walking down into Conques and so proud that we had made it.

The one thing I never ever expected was experiencing a hurricane (Hurricane Henri to be exact) , while half way up the Napoleon route in September last year. Having to sit and huddle with other pilgrims on the open hillside for over an hour, and not being able to stand up let alone walk. Very memorable time. Ended up looking like something the cat dragged in when we finally reached Roncesvalles!
Scary! :eek: Glad everyone was okay in the end! It's rare that we hear about such bad weather, ...but a hurricane! :eek:

Thank you for sharing! I am now adding these kinds of wonderful surprise gifts to my mental image of "what is possible" on my trip! It's too easy for me to get caught up in the fear of "unpleasant" surprises, and forget that "pleasant" surprises can also be in store. :)

Hi Terry - glad to see you're progressing somewhere along the road. These things happen frequently - I had two different people volunteer to take my pack since I looked pretty beat, one of them who looked worse off than I felt I must have looked. I thanked them profusely, but carried on. The other was the albergue on the right in Lorca - I was told to just go upstairs and take a nap, then settle up later when I felt better. I needed that so much then, as I had barely managed 8 km that day, and even that had been a struggle. Keep me posted on how you're doing - buen camino, Cherry

The relationships I went out with being completely knocked sideways, broken, caput and in a very emotionally nasty way. Perhaps the Camino merely povided the necessary catalyst for something that was bound to happen.
Now in endgames, perhaps there will be restoration, if not I've vowed to do another Camino in penance and purgation. Then start again.

The relationships I went out with being completely knocked sideways, broken, caput and in a very emotionally nasty way. Perhaps the Camino merely povided the necessary catalyst for something that was bound to happen.
Now in endgames, perhaps there will be restoration, if not I've vowed to do another Camino in penance and purgation. Then start again.
Hmm, I have heard about relationships going south sometimes while on a trip like the camino. Sorry it's happened to you! Maybe a second one will provide closure and a new interpretation of things for you :)

Thankyou Camster. The next, if that is what it is to be, will be my third. These events happened on the second. I've heard of post camino retreats in Spain, but is there one here in UK, I wonder.

My sympathies, Rachel :( I couldn't imagine going through something like that while so far away from home.
I'm glad to see you've turned the whole thing into something positive.
Yes, I'm planning for 2018 :) I wanted to go since last summer lol. The time until then will be mostly spent getting my body ready for the long trek and putting the necessary funds aside.

Thank you, camster. It was a shock for everyone, though looking back it seems my dad might have had an inkling his time was growing short. He was the one who drove me to the airport (it was originally to have been a few members of my family dropping me off, but one by one, other commitments made them unavailable on the day), and I still sometimes wonder if he knew it would be the last time we saw each other. He was so patient that morning as I hemmed and hawed at the last minute, trying to decide whether or not to take hair conditioner with me (I decided not to and later regretted it -- tip to you for packing, haha). And we had the biggest best hug at the airport.

My mom tried for two days to get in touch with me after Dad died, unsuccessfully because I stayed in Rabanal with no internet. Finally in Molinaseca I saw a message from her on Facebook to call home, and that's when I found out. There was magic and blessing in the sorrow, and there was sorrow. But pilgrims I didn't know, and who didn't speak my language, helped in every way they could think of. I have tears in my eyes now, remembering the dear, dear elderly German man who was walking with his wife, who held me so tenderly when he finally found out what had happened, and murmured such kind words of love and comfort, even though I didn't know what they were.

And afterwards, it was a blessing to be there, walking. I felt so thankful to have the Camino as a place to grieve. I walked, and cried, and was kindly and intuitively given space by other pilgrims around me. I took two days off in Cacabelos and cried and cried until I was ready to continue. And the next year when I walked my second Camino, injury-free, every step, I got my name on my Compostela at the pilgrim's office, but also my dad's name with it, because he walked every step with me, just as he's walked every step with me since.

I spent 10 months planning my first Camino. Don't worry, your time until 2018 will go by quickly enough.

Blessings to you,

Rachel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, camster. It was a shock for everyone, though looking back it seems my dad might have had an inkling his time was growing short. He was the one who drove me to the airport (it was originally to have been a few members of my family dropping me off, but one by one, other commitments made them unavailable on the day), and I still sometimes wonder if he knew it would be the last time we saw each other. He was so patient that morning as I hemmed and hawed at the last minute, trying to decide whether or not to take hair conditioner with me (I decided not to and later regretted it -- tip to you for packing, haha). And we had the biggest best hug at the airport.

My mom tried for two days to get in touch with me after Dad died, unsuccessfully because I stayed in Rabanal with no internet. Finally in Molinaseca I saw a message from her on Facebook to call home, and that's when I found out. There was magic and blessing in the sorrow, and there was sorrow. But pilgrims I didn't know, and who didn't speak my language, helped in every way they could think of. I have tears in my eyes now, remembering the dear, dear elderly German man who was walking with his wife, who held me so tenderly when he finally found out what had happened, and murmured such kind words of love and comfort, even though I didn't know what they were.

And afterwards, it was a blessing to be there, walking. I felt so thankful to have the Camino as a place to grieve. I walked, and cried, and was kindly and intuitively given space by other pilgrims around me. I took two days off in Cacabelos and cried and cried until I was ready to continue. And the next year when I walked my second Camino, injury-free, every step, I got my name on my Compostela at the pilgrim's office, but also my dad's name with it, because he walked every step with me, just as he's walked every step with me since.

I spent 10 months planning my first Camino. Don't worry, your time until 2018 will go by quickly enough.

Blessings to you,

Rachel
That's a very touching post, Rachel. Your dad sounds like the kindest person. I'm glad you had a positive final moment with him. I couldn't bear something like that happen at home while I'd be away.
Yes, 2018 will come quickly and I hope to live a lot of these different emotions people have talked about!
Thank you for sharing your story :)

As said earlier the infectiousness of it all, the last thing I expected was to be wanting to come back again and again and .....

As said earlier the infectiousness of it all, the last thing I expected was to be wanting to come back again and again and .....
So very true! Am already planning for next year. And hopefully the year after.....:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes! I wonder if I'll get bit by the same bug and want to do it over and over! I already find myself wanting to do different routes after the Francés. Of course, my wish for now is that I enjoy doing my first camino and I'll take things from there. :)
...But the scenery on other caminos is just gorgeous. The Norte comes to mind, but apparentlly you have to be good at orientation, since it is not marked as good as the Francés... and then, there's the bit where you can branch off onto the Primitivo which, if you want to get a glimpse of certain mountains (Picos de Europa), you can... Also the Via de la Plata sounds special. *sigh* lol I just can't think about all this right now. I have to see if I like the exprience first, but walking all these caminos is such a great thing to be able to do! :)

I have had a little slideshow of memories upon reading the OP's question...but one stood out. In Larrasoana, defeated physically and emotionally (temporarily, I learned as that was an oft-repeating cycle early on), a woman asked to 'read' my energy... um, ok.

I was so surprised to feel anything/something as she hovered around my body - never actually touching me - but I did feel something. The 'something' I felt is difficult to explain well, but in that moment, I wept and was thankful and bewildered and unafraid....and my heart and mind opened up in such an unexpected and interesting way. I was tearful and emotional in that moment and two years or so later, I still can't really explain exactly what happened, though I can intimately recall and relate the wave of reaction and emotion that occurred. ;)

The memory of that experience resonated here and there as I made my way to Santiago de Compostela - I found myself more open to people and experiences that before I may have just dismissed, or completely missed, or worst of all, judged. What profound moments this little 'walk' holds!

I want to write and write camino memories - thanks for pricking that spot!

Kerstin

I have had a little slideshow of memories upon reading the OP's question...but one stood out. In Larrasoana, defeated physically and emotionally (temporarily, I learned as that was an oft-repeating cycle early on), a woman asked to 'read' my energy... um, ok.

I was so surprised to feel anything/something as she hovered around my body - never actually touching me - but I did feel something. The 'something' I felt is difficult to explain well, but in that moment, I wept and was thankful and bewildered and unafraid....and my heart and mind opened up in such an unexpected and interesting way. I was tearful and emotional in that moment and two years or so later, I still can't really explain exactly what happened, though I can intimately recall and relate the wave of reaction and emotion that occurred. ;)

The memory of that experience resonated here and there as I made my way to Santiago de Compostela - I found myself more open to people and experiences that before I may have just dismissed, or completely missed, or worst of all, judged. What profound moments this little 'walk' holds!

I want to write and write camino memories - thanks for pricking that spot!

Kerstin
Interesting! sounds like you had a reiki session. It can be poweful indeed and make you cry, like you said you did. Was the woman who did this an hospitalera at an albergue?
I can't believe the surprising variety of things that can happen there. Of course, the whole world converges on these roads every year and everyone brings with them their capabilities, emotions and everything else that they are, which makes for a giant melting pot of surprises one can run into while on the camino. I would never have imagined that you could have a reiki session there, but then, why not? :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Interesting! sounds like you had a reiki session. It can be poweful indeed and make you cry, like you said you did. Was the woman who did this an hospitalera at an albergue?
I can't believe the surprising variety of things that can happen there. Of course, the whole world converges on these roads every year and everyone brings with them their capabilities, emotions and everything else that they are, which makes for a giant melting pot of surprises one can run into while on the camino. I would never have imagined that you could have a reiki session there, but then, why not? :)
Perhaps it was a reiki session - it was done by another pilgrim in the courtyard garden of a small cafe in that little village. :))

June 25th 2016 arrived in St Jean Pied de port to start my second Camino full of excitement and anticipation of the journey ahead, walking better than ever feeling great ,eating well,and staying in great albergue. Meeting lovely people.How my bubble was about to burst, on the twelfth day heading into Burgos I received a call to tell me my youngest son had taken a massive heart attack and was on a life support in Glasgow hospital .My two walking companions who I'd met after the first few days immediately started finding out about flights and trains. We talk about Camino angels I met mine ,Mary from Cork and Peter from Belfast without having their help and support I would never got back to the UK in time.l arrived at my son's bedside the next day and said my peace to him ,he passed away 40minutes later .How ironic the film the Way had called me to the camino ,but a day at a time next year I'll be back on the camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
June 25th 2016 arrived in St Jean Pied de port to start my second Camino full of excitement and anticipation of the journey ahead, walking better than ever feeling great ,eating well,and staying in great albergue. Meeting lovely people.How my bubble was about to burst, on the twelfth day heading into Burgos I received a call to tell me my youngest son had taken a massive heart attack and was on a life support in Glasgow hospital .My two walking companions who I'd met after the first few days immediately started finding out about flights and trains. We talk about Camino angels I met mine ,Mary from Cork and Peter from Belfast without having their help and support I would never got back to the UK in time.l arrived at my son's bedside the next day and said my peace to him ,he passed away 40minutes later .How ironic the film the Way had called me to the camino ,but a day at a time next year I'll be back on the camino.
Wow, how sad :( First, my condolences to you.
You got there just in time, too -- those two people who helped you must have been your camino angels for sure! So many things can happen, but it seems the way really does provide. So sorry for your loss, though :(

I really tried to prepare for everything; as an experienced backpacker, I know that surprises can be uncomfortable, and even dangerous. But, on the camino, I had no control at all. This should not have been a surprise, as I had never heard of the camino until I got an overwhelming sense of being called to it. (I saw the movies and read the books later). God called me to it. What happened everyday was a surprise, and sometimes a direct message from God. One small example: I had decided to go to the morning mass in Burgos, after my night at Emaus alergue, and then to spend the rest of the morning in the cathedral. After mass, I knew that it was time for me to go on and that I should not stay and tour. I went. I think I must have felt like the servant in the New Testament story who is told "go and he goes." I went when I was told. My planning was largely futile. I was under orders. I do not feel that way for the camino that I begin in four weeks. This is my choice. Please God it will not remain so.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back