• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Welcome, everyone!
Continuing our daily dose of camino magic.
Some of us are already walking, while others of us are still long from being able to put our shoes on an actual camino.
Until we can all walk in person, please join us in the fun of sharing a single daily photographic memory of the camino. It's been a real joy to see the camino through so many eyes!
(Please post thumbnails, so people with slow connections can still see the thread. Gracias! 😊 )

Somewhere between Miranda de Ebro and Pancorbo on the Via de Bayona.
I loved the poppies and the silent drama of the crushed wheat plants.
20190526_085215.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Night train/ Paris to Bayonne
photo taken October 14, 2014

Night train 14.11.2014.jpg

To begin past CFs I often took the train de nuit/ overnight train with couchettes/sleepers
from Paris/ Austerlitz to Bayonne. Since I bought a senior ticket well in advance the 30€ price was a bargain for a slow voyage of roughly 1000 km.

I liked to imagine these night trains as humble versions of the famed Orient Express. It was magical to fall asleep in Paris at 11pm, hear/feel the carriages move through the night and awaken in Bayonne at 7am.

However this night train is no longer in service; only swft daytime TGVs now go from Paris/Montparnasse to Bayonne in 4 hours.
...Alas the "romance" of such night train travel as a camino preface is gone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 110683

To begin past CFs I often took the train de nuit/ overnight train with couchettes/sleepers
from Paris/ Austerlitz to Bayonne. Since I bought a senior ticket well in advance the 30€ price was a bargain for a slow voyage of roughly 1000 km.

I liked to imagine these night trains as humble versions of the famed Orient Express. It was magical to fall asleep in Paris at 11pm, hear/feel the carriages move through the night and awaken in Bayonne at 7am.

However this night train is no longer in service; only swft daytime TGVs now go from Paris/Montparnasse to Bayonne in 4 hours.
Apparently the Barcelona-Granada sleeper has gone the same way, happy memories of that pre- VdlP in 2012.

From the toilet of the albergue in Castro on the Primitivo, 8 Oct 2015. Possibly the best view from a toilet on the camino. Later that day, whilst pegging out our washing we recognised another pilgrim we had last met on the VdlP in 2012. The only other Australian we met that year, we identified him as an Australian because he was watching with evident relish the Eurovision Song Contest.

DSC00267.JPG

Apparently the Barcelona-Granada sleeper has gone the same way, happy memories of that pre- VdlP in 2012.
RIP trenhotel 😢
36104C81-F871-407A-97DC-D30E78331FDF.jpeg
Turndown service!! From O Coruna to Madrid (having finished most of my planned caminos, just a stage each on three left interspersed with being a tourist)—loved falling asleep to train sounds, occasionally waking as we pulled into a station

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This dog followed us from Torres de Villariños halfway to Chantada in spite of all our efforts to first shoo it away and then evade it by hiding up side tracks. He eventually turned back when confronted by an even larger dog in the middle of the road. We descended into the valley of the Minho, then back up the other side where a restaurant/winery opened up especially to let us buy something to drink. Down below they were crushing Mencía grapes, so we had a brief introductory lecture into wine production.

DSC04675.JPGDSC04736(1).jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 110683

We trained from Paris to Hendaye by TGV, then walked across the station into Irun, Spain and caught the night train to Lisbon in April, 2016 to commence the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon.
P4183137.JPGP4183136.JPG
We also pretended we were on the Orient Express but unfortunately we weren't prepared with cash to buy any food from the very minimalist buffet car and they didn't accept card. Luckily we had some snacks with us. We both slept incredibly well on the very comfortable beds which you can't see as they are hidden behind me. We had our own ensuite, shower/toilet but the cabin was so small when we put the beds down there was no room for our luggage, so we had to put it in the shower room! Don't know if this night train is still running but would recommend it.

We trained from Paris to Hendaye by TGV, then walked across the station into Irun, Spain and caught the night train to Lisbon in April, 2016 to commence the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon.
View attachment 110706View attachment 110707
We also pretended we were on the Orient Express but unfortunately we weren't prepared with cash to buy any food from the very minimalist buffet car and they didn't accept card. Luckily we had some snacks with us. We both slept incredibly well on the very comfortable beds which you can't see as they are hidden behind me. We had our own ensuite, shower/toilet but the cabin was so small when we put the beds down there was no room for our luggage, so we had to put it in the shower room! Don't know if this night train is still running but would recommend it.
Trying to get a picture of the countryside I instead got the reflection of the dining car. Linens, heavy cutlery, sparkling glasses…sadly all gone (so glad I decided to do it then)
FDE8CE62-5CCB-4A5B-8BCB-80F0F7314744.jpeg
But for real Orient Express experience there’s the tren trancantabrico gran Lugo
(I took some pictures in waiting for my train in O Coruna but I’m already way over my picture limit today 😱

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everyone posts these wonderful scenic pictures of nature and buildings and here I am with yet another foodpicture.
You know by now where my prioritities are! ;)

So ,on my first Camino in 2011 I treated myself to a hotel in Logroño to be able to sample some pintxos/tapas in this famous culinary town.
I already went for a very good mushroom pintxo in a one bar ( not drinking alcohol but kept to water ) then off to a bar where the specialty was a zapatilla ( grilled bread, tomatoe, oliveoil and Serranoham ).
Still a little craving I felt...So I treated myself to these patatas bravas!
They were outstanding but what a huge plate. Hehe I was very much aware of that big bowl and me standing there alone eating them. For a moment I thought : what will people think of that woman there eating a plate surely meant for a small family of four... 😂 .
Then a couple with their son of eleven came standing next to me and I invited them to join me. They did and they offered me a glass of beer.

I was back in my hotel around 9 pm so I could have easily stayed in an albergue.

Patatas bravas.jpg

Good news in a SNCF update to # 5 above!

Yesterday the French rr system
SNCF announced that as of December 13, 2021 new night trains will be running again.

One night train will run from Paris to Vienna, Austria.

Another night train will run from Paris to Lourdes with an extension planned for summer 2022 from Lourdes to Hendaye with a stop in Bayonne!!

...Perhaps I'll book a ticket now!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trying to get a picture of the countryside I instead got the reflection of the dining car. Linens, heavy cutlery, sparkling glasses…sadly all gone (so glad I decided to do it then)
View attachment 110710
But for real Orient Express experience there’s the tren trancantabrico gran Lugo
(I took some pictures in waiting for my train in O Coruna but I’m already way over my picture limit today 😱

I did a contract in London during the 80's for the company that owned the Orient Express (amongst many other things). I managed to score two tickets at discounted staff prices.

Good news in a SNCF update to # 5 above!

Yesterday the French rr system
SNCF announced that as of December 13, 2021 new night trains will be running again.

One night train will run from Paris to Vienna, Austria.

Another night train will run from Paris to Lourdes with an extension planned for summer 2022 from Lourdes to Hendaye with a stop in Bayonne!!

...Perhaps I'll book a ticket now!!
Only the most peripheral connection to the camino, but a cultural link some of us might be old enough to remember: when we did the Plata in 2012, our plan B was to get on a plane and go to Morocco. Neither of us broke a leg or developed a violent aversion to walking all day across Spain, so we didn't go to Morocco. So when we came back to Spain to walk the Norte/Primitivo in 2015, we added on a trip to Morocco anyway and while there, took the train. Yes, my fellow baby-boomers, this is taken from the window (with Crosby, Stills and Nash blasting through my iPod) of the genuine and actual Marakech Express.
DSC00568.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

View attachment 110683

I used to do this too. Getting from Scotland to Paris in one day, the night train was better than trying to zip across Paris to catch a train South. I never managed to go further than Bordeaux using daytime trains. I loved the night trains.

I was supposed to travel from Hendaye to Lisbon on one in March 2020. I cancelled 2 days before
departure. I presume that train will now be discontinued too.

Ena

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 110683

I rode the same train on my first Camino in Feb 2014. My walking partner and I ended up on 3rd tier bunks. We slept past the stop in Bayonne and had to continue to Barritz. There were no trains back to Bayonne for quite some time.

While we were pondering what to do, one of our fellow passengers (who was waiting on his wife to pick him up from the train station) asked if he could help. Once we explained our situation, he offered to drive us back to Bayonne in his very tiny car (4 people and two backpacks in a vehicle not much larger than a SmartCar). During the the cramped, bumpy, dizzying ride, he told stories about the history of the area. We were very thankful and realized then that part of France is very different than the metropolis of Paris.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One of my most memorable days in Carrion de los Condes in 2008. I had dark brown hair back then. :)

Attachments

• 2008. 98. Carrion de los Condesben.JPG
    2008. 98. Carrion de los Condesben.JPG
    995.6 KB · Views: 113

View attachment 110683

Used it myself 4 times and it was the perfect way to start my Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome, everyone!
Some of us are already walking, while others of us are still long from being able to put our shoes on an actual camino.
Until we can all walk in person, please join us in the fun of sharing a single daily photographic memory of the camino. It's been a real joy to see the camino through so many eyes!
(Please post thumbnails, so people with slow connections can still see the thread. Gracias! 😊 )

View attachment 110678
A 17-year-old was on a class trip, and died on the Camino more than 5 years ago. This year, Michael would have been 21 years old, perhaps out of a college, perhaps in love, perhaps looking forward to staring a new job. Or he is on the Camino again this day because someone broke his heart, or simply feeling the joy of being alive because "[t]he boat is safer anchored at the port but that's not the aim of boats." Those of us who are fortunate enough to grow older than Michael must make the best out of the time we have: "one day at a time". Thus, I am embarking on another Camino in memory of this young man that I have never met, but who forever lives on in my heart.

After looking at the photo again, I realized that I read the dates wrong ( I read it the US way). He suddenly died a few days shy of his 17th birthday.

Attachments

• Michael Cura 20180906_091311.jpg
    Michael Cura 20180906_091311.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Ibaneta pass
chapel
interior

photo taken 17 October, 2012

Ibaneta, chapel , interior 17.10.2012.jpg

Hidden colors

After a 5 hour climb up from Valcarlos to the 1060 m. Ibaneta pass I peered exhausted into a tiny window on the locked wayside chapel door and "discovered" these hidden glass panes. Their bright colors provided an immediate aesthetic pick-me-up.

Re-energized I could then descend towards Roncesvalles monastery to offer thanks for my journey and to rest my very weary bones.

'Camino Heavy' Heavy as in music. He was raising money for a mental health charity in Spain by running between the albergues. We thought that was a pretty tough thing to do until we spoke to his support crew, aka best mate on his bicycle. Primitivo, 9 Oct 2015.
Needless to say, he is about to overtake us (we heard his approach), between Castro and A Fonsagrada.
DSC00278 (2).JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
reaching Grandas de Salime in time for second breakfast, Primitivo June
View attachment 110740
not here, of course, breakfast in town....;)
This dam has a rather dark history. The buildings you see here were mainly accommodation for the workers, many of whom were political prisoners of the Franco regime. The death and accident rate was very high.

Welcome, everyone!

View attachment 110678
kiquiriki.pngHad a fantastic Cuba Libre-(Havana Club) at Kiquiriki. The bartender was a sweetheart!Havana Club.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So many wonderful impressions. Each one was my new favorite. But this one stopped me in my tracks:
we have: "one day at a time".
A true and urgent reminder.

Today, the fuente at the Ermita de Nuesta Señora del Valle, on the Via de Bayona just a day's walk from Burgos. Horses need water, too

View media item 9816

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ibaneta pass
chapel
interior

photo taken 17 October, 2012

View attachment 110803

Hidden colors

After a 5 hour climb up from Valcarlos to the 1060 m. Ibaneta pass I peered exhausted into a tiny window on the locked wayside chapel door and "discovered" these hidden glass panes. Their bright colors provided an immediate aesthetic pick-me-up.

Re-energized I could then descend towards Roncesvalles monastery to offer thanks for my journey and to rest myI very weary bones.
Thank you for posting this. I SOOOOOO wanted to see this chapel and was more aggravated at myself that my wrong turn made me miss this than the fact I was on a rather steep descent in a snow storm.

€46,-
1633877660303.jpeg

Since my dad passed away last month, I've been drawn to my photos of Cape Finisterre. I couldn't have known then the photos I took on that glorious day would bring me comfort years later.

Cape Finisterre
After the CP, Oct 2019

This dam has a rather dark history. The buildings you see here were mainly accommodation for the workers, many of whom were political prisoners of the Franco regime. The death and accident rate was very high.
not disputing a dark history but the buildings here are the remains of the building factory for the dam where the materials were made, the abandoned homes are lower down I believe.

Thank you for posting this. I SOOOOOO wanted to see this chapel and was more aggravated at myself that my wrong turn made me miss this than the fact I was on a rather steep descent in a snow storm.
Smallest_Sparrow,
Thanks for your thanks. When passing by here in winter snows 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 via the Valcarlos road I didn't stop either; I was rushing to arrive at Roncesvalles' heated church.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of the (many) things I love about this wonderful continuing thread is how it's led me to examine details of the thousands of images I've taken during my caminos. I notice things that I didn't when I took the photo, that have led me to learning in a much fuller way, the places where my feet led me.

The one I post today is a photo taken of a village along the Primitivo. July 23, 2013. The road led past, not through, so it was just a moment to stop, appreciate the beauty of where it was situated, take the photo and move on. The village is Quintana with it's parish church Santiago de Villazón. From what I can find, the church dates from 1777 and was recently restored. During its restoration, archeological evidence was found of a Roman building, perhaps a mill and embedded in one of the walls, an earlier church construction with two Romanesque windows.

quintana.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
in the US alone, they kill 681,000 birds per year so.....
Who says they're ugly?
Invierno 9 Oct 2018

View attachment 110841
Your photo we like, not so fond of wind turbines. We have many near us, on a beautiful part of the south west coast of Victoria, which spoil the coastline. Very frustrating, especially when on some windy days they are not working!! They are operated, so as to sell into the energy market at the highest price and switched off when demand is low.

Nájera
Santa Maria la Real
interior

photo taken February 18, 2007

Santa Mariia Real, cupola .jpg

Santa Maria la Real monastery on the CF dating from the 11th c. was built from local red stone. Following a two year restoration early this century it reopened/repurposed as a museum.

In the extremely dim light beneath this magnificent cupola most sculpture and many royal tombs were quite difficult to see/study properly. What a relief it was to finally exit that dark interior into natural daylight despite the ever present cold February rain!

Last edited:
Controversial, certainly. I am not sure about them myself but I think what harm they do could be mitigated by siting them more thoughtfully, and they have to be judged in context, i.e. comparison with the alternatives e.g. solar power, of which Australia has a lot (obviously but underused) and so does Morocco, which they are trying to export to Spain, and fossil fuels - of which enough said.

Last edited:

€60,-
My trusty Columbia shirt and my other garments drying in the Spanish Sun. I clearly remember this routine of getting my room, showering, getting dressed and washing/hanging clothes to dry. The delicious meal and drink that followed always helped me get through this chore.

Attachments

• my clothes.png
    my clothes.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
In the Netherlands they started with the following ,

Krammer Wind Farm annually spends 120,000 to 180,000 euros to shut down the wind turbines for birds and bats that fly too close. Krammer is the first park in the Netherlands to actively shut down windmills to prevent animals from being hit by the deadly blades. "That is a considerable amount. But we would like the birds, and in particular the great white-tailed eagle, to continue to fly here," says project manager Gijs van Hout of the wind farm.
It's a small part off a langer article.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
coffeemachine.jpg

Coffeemachine at Albergue Aitzenea in Triacastela. CF 2011.

Very nice private albergue with wonderful owners.

Must admit I only tried a coffee twice on any of my Caminos from one of these machines. Am never sure enough if the water and filteringsystem are checked regularly.

Must admit I only tried a coffee twice on any of my Caminos from one of these machines. Am never sure enough if the water and filteringsystem are checked regularly.
I've only had it twice, out of desperation - and have no idea about the filtration but can report the coffee had notes of burnt tire and charcoal.

One of the (many) things I love about this wonderful continuing thread is how it's led me to examine details of the thousands of images I've taken during my caminos. I notice things that I didn't when I took the photo, that have led me to learning in a much fuller way, the places where my feet led me.
As do I. If not for this thread I would likely go long periods of time between forum visits.

It has become a routine of sorts: that first cup of coffee while scanning photos to find the one that strikes a note in my memory then sharing what my eyes have seen with others.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has become a routine of sorts: that first cup of coffee while scanning photos to find the one that strikes a note in my memory then sharing what my eyes have seen with others.
I'm so glad you do, @Phoenix. Your photos are so evocative. In your pic just now, I can feel that 'first steps of the morning' feeling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the Netherlands they started with the following ,

Krammer Wind Farm annually spends 120,000 to 180,000 euros to shut down the wind turbines for birds and bats that fly too close. Krammer is the first park in the Netherlands to actively shut down windmills to prevent animals from being hit by the deadly blades. "That is a considerable amount. But we would like the birds, and in particular the great white-tailed eagle, to continue to fly here," says project manager Gijs van Hout of the wind farm.
It's a small part off a langer article.
I love the Dutch, they are the social conscience of the world (in addition to making the best ice cream). I'm so grateful for my three years in the NL.

Australia is also trying this in one location. While most of the birds killed by turbines are small, and I mourn for them, to me it's especially difficult that these are killing the larger birds of prey that are endangered in many places, that would otherwise not have many things killing them. In Spain there may be as many as 6-18 million birds and bats killed per year. I hope this system works well and is widely adapted

camino 2 1513.JPG Primitivo

Porch of Santa Eulalia of Doriga. A Romanesque church with a stone marking consecration in 1121, mostly remodeled in the 18th century. Sadly, closed, and while the town was small enough to probably hunt down a key, it was approaching siesta and my rule was no knocking on doors then. To be honest, I'd already done 33.5 km from Oviedo that day, plus a tiny side trip to see Our Lady of Fresno, and it was almost 3 more km to my (hopeful) bed in Cornellana, so I was happy to keep moving.

As do I. If not for this thread I would likely go long periods of time between forum visits.

Me too. Whilst in lockdown, the forum, and this thread in particular have helped me get through a long and intense lockdown. There is now light at the end of the tunnel (and I am fairly sure it is not an oncoming train).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We do not seem to have had any cows recently, so here are some pretty ones. The cheese that they helped provide, was very good as well. Fonfria CF 2019.

View attachment 110916
They have lovely cows in Spain, mostly free range. We met a farmer on the VdlP who was looking for his lost cows. He was pretty unconcerned as he had a good idea of where they were. He walked with us for half an hour or so and gave us a long and detailed explanation of the relative merits of Limousin and Charolais cattle. These might be one of each (but there has to be at least somebody on the forum who knows a lot more about cows than me) on the Invierno, October 2018.

DSC04750.JPG

€46,-
Granon
parish albergue
dinner

photo taken November 3, 2014

Granon.jpg

I have stayed ten times at the parish albergue San Juan Bautista in Granon on the CF; November 3, 2014, once again happiness and extraordinary caritas prevailed.

As always the communal dinner was cooked and served with love; twenty-two pilgrims shared food and ideas while offering personal thanks for the joy of being on the way.

All would remember the moments when the gracious priest and a young Korean pilgrim sang a duet praising the Virgin Mary; the delicate melody concluded a memorable evening of camino fellowship.

...Might it always be so.

They have lovely cows in Spain, mostly free range. We met a farmer on the VdlP who was looking for his lost cows. He was pretty unconcerned as he had a good idea of where they were. He walked with us for half an hour or so and gave us a long and detailed explanation of the relative merits of Limousin and Charolais cattle. These might be one of each (but there has to be at least somebody on the forum who knows a lot more about cows than me) on the Invierno, October 2018.

View attachment 110965
Lovely docile creatures. Enjoyed my many encounters with them.

€83,-
From the toilet of the albergue in Castro on the Primitivo, 8 Oct 2015. Possibly the best view from a toilet on the camino. Later that day, whilst pegging out our washing we recognised another pilgrim we had last met on the VdlP in 2012. The only other Australian we met that year, we identified him as an Australian because he was watching with evident relish the Eurovision Song Contest.

View attachment 110692
Ahh...helps make the going a little less mundane. LOL!

Granon
parish albergue
dinner

photo taken November 3, 2014

View attachment 110969

I have stayed ten times at the parish albergue San Juan Bautista in Granon on the CF; November 3, 2014, once again happiness and extraordinary caritas prevailed.

As always the communal dinner was cooked and served with love; twenty-two pilgrims shared food and ideas while offering personal thanks for the joy of being on the way.

All would remember the moments when the gracious priest and a young Korean pilgrim sang a duet praising the Virgin Mary; the delicate melody concluded a memorable evening of camino fellowship.

...Might it always be so.
I loved it there. The communal meal and people were beautiful; it more than made up for the most uncomfortable sleeping arrangement I've had on any Camino.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Me too. Whilst in lockdown, the forum, and this thread in particular have helped me get through a long and intense lockdown. There is now light at the end of the tunnel (and I am fairly sure it is not an oncoming train).
My second favorite thing about the ongoing versions of this thread (behind the photos/stories) is the lack of complaining about Camino adventures common in other threads.

of the many Spanish snails I encountered
Presumably not counting we peregrinas tortugas? 😂

I loved it there. The communal meal and people were beautiful; it more than made up for the most uncomfortable sleeping arrangement I've had on any Camino
Me too. I was surprised the night I stayed there were only 4 pilgrims. It was intimate and very sweet. And I actually like the mats on the floor, thinking them more relaxing by far than a bunk with someone above me.
The area where meals are served is like a living room, and so 'homey.'
IMG_7465.JPG

Last edited:

€60,-
Is that an eagle?
I don't think so.
And I wonder. Could this be a scam? When I was first in Rabinal there was a guy who walked around with what looked like this same Buteo on his arm. He wasn't asking for money or wearing chain mail, but that was 2014 and things were a little more mellow:
Astorga-Rabinal del Camino (1).JPG

As it is getting close to Halloween, this photo of some impressive vegetables, taken on 3 November 2018, the Camino Portuguese, coastal route, somewhere south of Vigo.
IMG_2755 (1).jpeg

€46,-
I don't think so.
And I wonder. Could this be a scam? When I was first in Rabinal there was a guy who walked around with what looked like this same Buteo on his arm. He wasn't asking for money or wearing chain mail, but that was 2014 and things were a little more mellow:
View attachment 110977
Hawks here have spotted chests but maybe this is a Harris’s Hawk…I hope not a scam, could be someone who does Falconry as a hobby (or job) and so volunteered or was hired to raise money.

Every picture tells a story, but sometimes you need three to get it all. Aha! We thought, a lovely cold spring, just the thing to bathe our tired and aching feet in. The cow had other ideas. This was her spring, and this was where she was wont to take her morning drink and a couple of random, bedraggled pilgrims wasn't going to stop her. We had a quick chat to her owner. Five minutes later we heard a shout and were treated to the sight of said farmer in hot pursuit of tractor reversing, as if by magic, down a lane on the other side of a hedge. He'd forgotten to put the handbrake on. Tractor recovered undamaged and on we went to Muxia. Never a dull moment, as they say.
DSCN1828.JPGDSCN1824.JPGDSCN1826.JPG

€149,-
Whose job is it to monitor the park for birds?
I want that job! ;)
Yes me to.😉

It's called , image detection system (DTBird) to prevent bird victims. With this system, certain bird species are detected remotely. If necessary, the wind turbines in their environment are automatically shut down. At the end of January, a pair of white-tailed eagles around the wind farm were detected for the first time and the wind turbines were shut down.

Hawks here have spotted chests but maybe this is a Harris’s Hawk…
Yes, I think it is.

1634030984789.jpeg

Not everything along the Camino is beautiful, although I do like all of the angles of the bridge, tracks, and overpass. On the day between Tui and Redondela, I learned that I wish to never walk this section of the way again.

CP, Oct 2019

€60,-

€60,-
Still there this September when I passed that spot.
I wondered about that when I posted this, good to know it’s hanging in there, thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back