• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possibly cancelling my camino

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
We are in a terrible situation. Hubby and I are supposed to start our camino Frances on July7th but may now have to cancel everything. Our daughter who lives 12 hours away from us was just diagnosed with a herniated disc . She cannot care for her 18 month old. She is in terrible pain and can hardly move. Seeing neuro tomorrow. Hubby is down there now to help with childcare for a week while I am handling commitments at home. I foresee having to move down there for a few months until things resolve.

I know family always comes first and I will happily help her any way I can. It's just that this trip has been postponed multiple times over the last 4 years. I am beginning to believe the universe is trying to tell me that the camino is not for me. Sorry for the negative post but I just needed to vent. I know there must be others on this forum who have had to cancel for one reason or another. Trying to take it one step at a time but it's hard.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry to hear your News.

Not wishing to be callous...... but..... are there other options to get support for your daughter whilst you are away?

I have a herniated disc. Now and again it 'triggers' and I can barely move.
Had to call an ambulance once, as I stood holding the wall next to the bed unable to move :rolleyes:

Over the years I have learned to cope. Physio, massage, meds etc.
And I try to be really careful with my back now!

Wishing you luck.
Hopefully the diagnosis and prognosis is good.

PS
Take yourselves out of the equation for a moment........
If you were not there, how would this be dealt with?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So sorry to hear your News.

Not wishing to be callous...... but..... are there other options to get support for your daughter whilst you are away?

I have a herniated disc. Now and again it 'triggers' and I can barely move.
Had to call an ambulance once, as I stood holding the wall next to the bed unable to move :rolleyes:

Over the years I have learned to cope. Physio, massage, meds etc.
And I try to be really careful with my back now!

Wishing you luck.
Hopefully the diagnosis and prognosis is good.

PS
She could put the baby in daycare full time. It makes me sad to think of that since she is a full time mom. Also I worry for her mental health at being helpless and immobile until things hopefully improve.

Being on camino while my daughter is struggling will be so difficult for me.

Thank you for the encouragement Robo.

I can imagine how it would take away much of your enjoyment if you decide to go even if your daughter was able to be cared for while you were gone.
My sister was in her last few months of life when I decided to go ahead with plans for my Camino. It was a difficult decision to make and thankfully she lived six more weeks after my return, but it definitely put a damper on my enjoyment as I was constantly thinking about her. Lighting a candle for her in some of the churches I was in became a comfort to me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can imagine how it would take away much of your enjoyment if you decide to go even if your daughter was able to be cared for while you were gone.
My sister was in her last few months of life when I decided to go ahead with plans for my Camino. It was a difficult decision to make and thankfully she lived six more weeks after my return, but it definitely put a damper on my enjoyment as I was constantly thinking about her. Lighting a candle for her in some of the churches I was in became a comfort to me.
Thank you Chrissy. I'm sure it must have been very difficult to make that decision. I'm so sorry about your sister. I love the idea of lighting candles along the way.

know there must be others on this forum who have had to cancel for one reason or another. Trying to take it one step at a time but it's hard.
I don´t want to reveal his identity, but we have a very dear friend who wanted to walk the camino but elected to stay with his wife of many years who was sick and no longer recognised him. Sadly, she passed away last year. He is now in Spain having finally completed his camino and will be home in time to celebrate his 87th birthday. He is an inspiration to us all who know him (and a wonderfully funny person to be with). You are doing the right thing. Hang on in there, it will come to pass.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don´t want to reveal his identity, but we have a very dear friend who wanted to walk the camino but elected to stay with his wife of many years who was sick and no longer recognised him. Sadly, she passed away last year. He is now in Spain having finally completed his camino and will be home in time to celebrate his 87th birthday. He is an inspiration to us all who know him (and a wonderfully funny person to be with). You are doing the right thing. Hang on in there, it will come to pass.
Thank you for the encouragement and also the inspiration. That is amazing about your friend.

She could put the baby in daycare full time. It makes me sad to think of that since she is a full time mom. Also I worry for her mental health at being helpless and immobile until things hopefully improve.

Thank you for the encouragement Robo.

Not wanting to pry into financial and emotional situation but it is good that she " could " put the baby in fulltime daycare. That certainly means there is a solution and it might be that the little one enjoys the company.

Maybe there is also a possibility for hiring some extra help for the household/ groceries?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very sorry to read of the situation you find yourself in.

Does your daughter know of your plans to do the Camino?
If so, is there anything to be said for an open and honest discussion with her?

Personally, I couldn't fully give myself to a Camino if I was constantly thinking that I was letting someone down at home. Similarly, I'd hate to be in the situation that someone cancelled a long-wished for dream on my account without even discussing it with me. My guilt would be enormous.

Perhaps there's a middle ground that can only be found through discussing the matter, identifying the problems and solving them one by one.

I hope things will work out -- a hernia is unfortunately something that simply has to be lived with, though I understand that initial onset of the condition is very distressing and that it takes time to adjust to that new life situation.

My mother suffered from it from IIRC her early thirties onwards, but once she learned and taught herself ways to cope with it, she might be bed-ridden for some hours, able to crawl to the bathroom or kitchen for necessaries later, then stay at home more or less normally for a day or two after then OK again.

So I'm not too worried for your daughter -- though it's sad news about her condition ; but it's your grandchild to worry about.

Grandchild comes first, no question.

So maybe 2024 then ? Or this Autumn ?

Good luck to all of you, and take care !!

Very sorry to hear that. In the past times I've had to cancel twice Caminos I'd carefully planned in the last moment and know how it feels.
But don't give up. Don't say the Camino is not for you. If you've planned all your camino and you were ready to depart you're already Pilgrims. El Camino has called you and you will be pilgrims forever. Maybe It's just not the correct time.
The Camino will be always there , waiting for you at your right moment.
Maybe the time is not now and it will be after that bad situation has passed and you will have the opportunity to thank the Apostle for the good outcome of it all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are in a terrible situation. Hubby and I are supposed to start our camino Frances on July7th but may now have to cancel everything. Our daughter who lives 12 hours away from us was just diagnosed with a herniated disc . She cannot care for her 18 month old. She is in terrible pain and can hardly move. Seeing neuro tomorrow. Hubby is down there now to help with childcare for a week while I am handling commitments at home. I foresee having to move down there for a few months until things resolve.

I know family always comes first and I will happily help her any way I can. It's just that this trip has been postponed multiple times over the last 4 years. I am beginning to believe the universe is trying to tell me that the camino is not for me. Sorry for the negative post but I just needed to vent. I know there must be others on this forum who have had to cancel for one reason or another. Trying to take it one step at a time but it's hard.
I am so sorry about this turn of events for you both yet again. I also feel so much for your daughter.....I have a similar issue and can definitely verify that the pain she is in is horrendous. I pray that hers responds to treatment.....mine is permanent unfortunately.

I can understand Robo's comment to "take yourself out of the equation" but I kindly disagree with where that premise leads to. My sympathies to you and your family but family does come first and you will never know the other side of this story if you don't stay to assist your daughter. As I related several times, my last and final Camino in 2019 from Le Puy to SdC was interrupted by a late night text message that my sister had been in the ICU for a number of days and no one knew how to contact me. I was in Hontanas that night and immediately amended my plans and flew back to the US in less than 48 hours. My sister died about week later and she was so comatose that we were barely able to communicate.

In my opinion, Robos right - except for two things.
1/You haven’t left yet- if you had, that would potentially be a whole different conversation.
2/ sounds as if you’ve already made up your mind, and just need the emotional support/ encouragement.

If, for you, family comes first - then there is no question, and your daughter (and your grandchild!) are very lucky. Unfortunately not everyone feels that way/ reacts as you and your husband have. Good on you.

If you’re exceptionally lucky, you’ll get good news in the next few days. If not, cancel and do what you need to do. The Camino has existed for over a thousand years, it’ll wait for you. Just as you’ve already waited 4years for it.

Good luck 🤞

And perhaps- just perhaps- you might want to consider a short Autumn Camino as a reward? I’m told the Ingles is beautiful in September/ October, and it’s a really accessible ………

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I feel so sorry for you and your daughter and I hope my comments will help.

First you are not cancelling your Camino you are postponeing it. The Camino is going nowhere.

Second I want to tell you about my experience in 2021. Everything was fine when I left home on day 35 I got a text message to say my dad was in hospital. I had a bed booked in Villa Franca for that night so carried on walking. When I got there I worked out I could esily get transport to SdC then fly home then my daughter rang me. My dad had got covid and wouldn't be allowed visitors and I would be home before he came out. I decided to carry on walking but I don't remember much about the walk after that only the wonderful people I met. I got home the day before my dad got out of hospital. Did I do the right thing? Iam not sure.
I hope that helps
Yvonne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

So disappointing for you & your husband. Your daughter is fortunate to have such supportive and loving parents. Maybe reframing "camino" in a more general way will help. It is "the way". We are always on our Camino, our life journey. Taking care of your family is part of your Camino. You are already on it, not postponing it. The part of your Camino which is walking the Camino Frances is postponed but not cancelled. It is up ahead on your journey!

I DO feel your pain. Canceling a Camino, or plans to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, due to family commitments is something I have had to do several years. Presently, I just canceled my planned three weeks at Santiago to volunteer at the office. This is something I look forward to every summer.

My wife of 44 years took gravely ill just after Easter. She is home after six-weeks in hospital but cannot be left alone. I must administer IV medications and TPN feeding. But, this is what our marriage vows are all about. This is also what parental love and responsibility is all about. Remember, man plans - God laughs.

Also remember that Señor Santiago will be there when you are able to reschedule your planned Camino. He is a very patient fellow I have learned.

This all said, some words of practical advice. Cancel your travel arrangements as soon as possible to increase your chance of a fuller refund. I did this recently with Iberia and they refunded my ticket price in full - a month before departure date.

The same applies to any credit card guaranteed accommodation reservations you may have made.

It is one thing to have to cancel or reschedule plans due to family business, and a whole other thing to add insult to injury by losing money in the process.

I wish your daughter and the whole family well,

Hope this helps.

Tom

Prayers for both of you, your daughter and the little ones!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I just finished my first Camino on Sunday, after DECADES of circumstances beyond my control causing me to postpone it. Don't despair! Taking care of your daughter and the personal sacrifice required to do it will only make your Camino sweeter when your time comes!

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts and stories. I'd like to reply individually to each of you but I don't have enough time right now. There is so much hope and wisdom here in all your posts and I appreciate every one of them. Today my daughter sees the neuro doc and hopefully we will know more. My husband wants to keep our plans for the camino and says they need to figure things out for themselves. My problem is that I've been a nurse all my life and constantly want to be that caregiver person. So I think we will have to have a conversation with my daughter and her family. I know she would be miserable with herself if she knew she was the reason for our postponing ( see... I am already reframing ;)) but I need to be sure that she and the baby are being cared for in the best way possible. And yes that might be me or it might not.

Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. I am continuing my own prayers for more clarity after today's visit and getting more information. Also praying for relief of my daughter's pain. You all have given me many new ways to look at the situation and I thank you. 🙏

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

This unexpected time with your 18 month old, if that's what you decide, will be a wonderful gift for you and Hubby. Likely you wouldn't otherwise be spending as much time with your grandchild and this will create an important, cherished bond for you all. The Camino will still be there and if you spend a few hours re-arranging your plans you will find that the walk will be that much more wonderful. Perhaps all wishful thinking but sincere!

So disappointing for you & your husband. Your daughter is fortunate to have such supportive and loving parents. Maybe reframing "camino" in a more general way will help. It is "the way". We are always on our Camino, our life journey. Taking care of your family is part of your Camino. You are already on it, not postponing it. The part of your Camino which is walking the Camino Frances is postponed but not cancelled. It is up ahead on your journey!
Yes, this is now YOUR camino. Look after your family, they are so precious. The way will wait.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

To everything there is a time. After several years of waiting, planning and saving I started my Camino on June
10th with my granddaughter. About 2
Km short of the albergue at Roncesvalles I slipped, fell and broke my ankle. The doctors at the hospital in Pamplona set the broken bones and let me know that my camino was over. As I write this I am in a hotel waiting for medical clearance to fly home. To everything there is a time. This was not my time and maybe it is not yours. I plan to be back next year and if cannot make it this year I hope to see you next.

Vaya con Dios,
Leo

Hi
Blessing in disguise, July is not a great time to walk the Camino with the high temperatures, April/September/October are better months and less pilgrims also 👍🇮🇪🚶‍♀️🚶🏼

After having to cancel 4 times since 2020, I am finally on the Camino and it has been an amazing couple of weeks. But now I’m laid up in Burgos with a knee problem. I’m in a campground cabin, which is a perfect place for recuperation. I may be able to walk in a couple of days, but I think this may be the end of my trip. But, as others have said, the Camino will still be here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino in 2017. In 2018 I took the training to be a volunteer at an albergue in Ponferrada. I was accepted for an assignment in June, 2019. I had to have a heart ablation to calm my a fib and had to cancel. Early in 2020 I was accepted for June, 2020, but Covid caused that to be cancelled. In 2021 there was no way for someone from the US to volunteer. In June 2022, I was finally able to work for 15 days. It was well worth the wait.
when the time is right, your Camino will happen. Hopefully, this year. But it will be when the time is right.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts and stories. I'd like to reply individually to each of you but I don't have enough time right now. There is so much hope and wisdom here in all your posts and I appreciate every one of them. Today my daughter sees the neuro doc and hopefully we will know more. My husband wants to keep our plans for the camino and says they need to figure things out for themselves. My problem is that I've been a nurse all my life and constantly want to be that caregiver person. So I think we will have to have a conversation with my daughter and her family. I know she would be miserable with herself if she knew she was the reason for our postponing ( see... I am already reframing ;)) but I need to be sure that she and the baby are being cared for in the best way possible. And yes that might be me or it might not.

Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. I am continuing my own prayers for more clarity after today's visit and getting more information. Also praying for relief of my daughter's pain. You all have given me many new ways to look at the situation and I thank you. 🙏

I am performing 24 x 7 caregiving for my wife, and I completely understand the situation you are in. Do what is best for your loved ones FIRST.

The Camino has been there for over 1,200 years. It will await your eventual participation.

Be well,

Tom

It is hard. Especially with the multiple postponements already. I like to remember that the Camino has been around for over a thousand years, through thick times and thin. When your circumstances again permit, it will surely still be there waiting for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Paula P (and hubby):

I'm glad you're thinking through this, and thank you for sharing yourself with us. It looks as if you've already starting examining your assumptions and asking the right questions.

(BTW, I have been a nurse too, but I had to learn the hard way that I am *not* always the best caregiver for family members. Ask the questions you need to ask of the people you need to ask).

If God (or the universe, if you prefer not personalizing) is inviting you to surmount and let go of control over this last obstacle and come to El Camino, the heard answers to your questions will show you tu camino "your way".

If God (or the universe) is merely saying "not yet," then replan with a clearer heart and conscience.

Either way, you are not alone.

Take care of the immediate. The Camino will always be there for you.

Feeling the need to add my two cents here. When my daughter was 3 months old (30 years ago), I was diagnosed with a herniated disc and the neurosurgeon advised surgery. The pain was excruciating and beyond anything I had ever experienced. Worse than childbirth. When the surgeon said "don't lift anything heavier than a dinner plate until two months after the surgery" I called my father in tears and asked for help. I couldn't even pick up my baby. I'm forever grateful that he was able to come every day while my husband was at work. I'm not trying to guilt-trip you, but I can imagine that she will be forever grateful if you are able to help. Good luck and good luck to your daughter and her family. Sending hugs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update...not really a prognosis from the doctor but they are trying a course of steroids to see if that calms things down. Possibly a steroid injection right into the spine if the oral steroids don't help. She has also started physical therapy. A case of wait and see. We had already scheduled a visit the week of June 24th before starting the camino. I think next week she will put the baby in daycare full time and hopefully her mother-in-law who just retired can help out in the evenings. Then we will go down and see where things stand. We will talk to her and see what she wants. If things aren't going well and she wants the help, I suppose we will postpone. If she is doing better, then maybe we can continue with our trip.

Again, thank you for all the kind words and thoughts. They are very much appreciated. ❤️

This is sad and I hope and pray for her and for you as you support her. Family takes priority and there are far more important things in life than indulging ourselves in a long walk.

De
Colores

Bogong

I can understand Robo's comment to "take yourself out of the equation" but I kindly disagree with where that premise leads to. My sympathies to you and your family but family does come first and you will never know the other side of this story if you don't stay to assist your daughter. As I related several times, my last and final Camino in 2019 from Le Puy to SdC was interrupted by a late night text message that my sister had been in the ICU for a number of days and no one knew how to contact me. I was in Hontanas that night and immediately amended my plans and flew back to the US in less than 48 hours. My sister died about week later and she was so comatose that we were barely able to communicate.

Wasn't trying to lead it anywhere @estorildon . Apologies if it looked that way.

Merely that if the OP were not an option for 'whatever' reason, what would the next option be.

We can often only see the 'obvious' solution to a problem. If we take away that option, it can help us think of others.....

I hope it all works out OK.

Expectations can warp our perception of priorities. We get so caught up in our expectation that we forget about what is happening around us. Your daughter is in a very delicate situation; your granddaughter is in an even worse situation. Now is the time to recognize what your family needs are and focus on those. Build as many good memories as you can now.
When things slow down and the need is no longer there, go on Camino. You will know when the window has opened, and it is time to go.
Be a source of peace for each other and your family.

Last edited:
I had to cancel my Camino in 2020 due to Covid. For personal reasons, walking that year was extremely significant to me, but the universe had other plans. I feel very strongly that not only the Camino you’re supposed to have, but the pilgrims you are supposed to meet along the way, are awaiting, but as a result, everything must fall into place in its own time. And everything leading up to it becomes part of the process. This setback IS part of your Camino. And the challenges will make you even more appreciative when you do set foot on the Camino you’re meant to have.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I understand your dilemma . The Camino will always be there for you. A window will open for you to do it. As you say you will fret if you took off right now, which is a wonderful admission from great parents. You obviously know yourself. Take heart.

Well, I would look at it from a different perspective. When you do finally make your camino you will have plenty of time to reflect on the time ( one of many i’m sure) when you were there for your family in thier time of need. I imagine those memories will bring so much more meaning to your journey.

Buen Future Camino..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Paula, completely understand; however, another perspective is that 1) your daughter and her family are so heavily blessed to have you available to provided needed presence and care for them when for many families this option is not available and 2) please forgive my biased viewpoint, but your family takes precedence over any Camino a thousand times over; this means, when you have finished caring for your daughter and her family and finally do get to do a Camino, it will be that much more meaningful. However, I do empathize with you that the timing is atrocious. God bless you for being their for your daughter and her family.

I just went on a camino (that was wonderful and joy filled), but as I settle the affairs of my mother, who died 3 weeks after we returned having shortened the intended trip by a week, I remain annoyed, my grief complicated by the fact that mum was obscuring features of her health needs, even to the point of not telling us she had been hospitalized. She had not wanted to “be in the way”… and so I carry this burden that I was happily in SdC while she was in a hospital and I did not even have the opportunity to make the right choice to get home that many days earlier… that she was withholding information from me before I left, even lying about what her respirologist had told her…

Had I not gone on camino, had I come home 4 days earlier than my “fast as I could in the circumstances”, I would not be so crushed now.

“Take yourself out of the equation” does not address the reality that we are, all of us who love and are loved, inextricable from the reality of the situation as it is.

All that said, I have had blown disks and been bed-bound for a few weeks with them… and then the acute phase passes. I hope that the prognosis has indicated that this will be the case for your daughter, and that you can still go on camino.

Also: it’s so true that July/August are brutally hot and so a delay to the fall may be a blessing.

Whatever happens, I wish you buen camino.

You have made the right choice to help your daughter. There is nothing more important than family. Life has handed you this difficult camino but the camino in Spain will still be there for you when you are ready. Like with the physical Camino, put one foot in front of the other and take it a day at a time.

Take your Camino gear with you to your daughters and go for long walks each day. This will give you a break from the stress, make you more physically ready for the Camino and will test out your gear.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My mom and I were supposed to be on our Camino right now. We had to cancel it last month because she developed a debilitating foot injury that will take the better part of a year to (hopefully) recover. We’re both very sad that we’re not there walking together right now. But the day that we were supposed to fly out to Spain, my grandma (her mother) had a stroke. She’s recovering quite well, but we would have had to leave the camino anyways to come back to be with her. But we’re able to be all together now, helping each other and enjoying the time we have. I have always looked at the Camino as a metaphor for life; you can’t predict what it’ll throw at you, all you can do is take it step by step, and remember to lift your head up enough to enjoy the view of where you are at right now. Buen Camino pilgrim

I just went on a camino (that was wonderful and joy filled), but as I settle the affairs of my mother, who died 3 weeks after we returned having shortened the intended trip by a week, I remain annoyed, my grief complicated by the fact that mum was obscuring features of her health needs, even to the point of not telling us she had been hospitalized. She had not wanted to “be in the way”… and so I carry this burden that I was happily in SdC while she was in a hospital and I did not even have the opportunity to make the right choice to get home that many days earlier… that she was withholding information from me before I left, even lying about what her respirologist had told her…

Had I not gone on camino, had I come home 4 days earlier than my “fast as I could in the circumstances”, I would not be so crushed now.

“Take yourself out of the equation” does not address the reality that we are, all of us who love and are loved, inextricable from the reality of the situation as it is.

All that said, I have had blown disks and been bed-bound for a few weeks with them… and then the acute phase passes. I hope that the prognosis has indicated that this will be the case for your daughter, and that you can still go on camino.

Also: it’s so true that July/August are brutally hot and so a delay to the fall may be a blessing.

Whatever happens, I wish you buen camino.
I’ve been in the same place precisely when a parent did not allow their medical team to disclose the prognosis even though it was blindingly obvious. At the end of the day, that’s their choice.

I know family always comes first and I will happily help her any way I can. It's just that this trip has been postponed multiple times over the last 4 years. I am beginning to believe the universe is trying to tell me that the camino is not for me. Sorry for the negative post but I just needed to vent. I know there must be others on this forum who have had to cancel for one reason or another. Trying to take it one step at a time but it's
I think you are doing the right thing because you love your daughter and you give and serve out of love. But I wouldn’t skip a trip out of a sense of obligation because someone needs something. She would find a way however impossible it seems to her. It would not be wrong to go on the trip and we don’t know your relationship so you get to decide. You are a chooser not a victim.

So difficult for all of you….and no one’s fault. I‘m sure you are meant to do your Camino. Hang in there. You will do it; just at a different time.

I’m sorry about your daughter’s situation. I think the Universe is saying, your perfect Camino will not take place on July 7, 2023…but it will happen and when it does you will meet the people you were supposed to meet and have the experiences you were meant to have and at that point you will be so grateful for the delay.

Sorry to hear about your daughter.
And I can only imagine how cancelling a camino feels in your situation. I had to cancel my Camino last September one day before planned departure due to a medical condition. That felt bad already. But then, living in Europe, travel and rescheduling for me is not as complicated as it is probably for you guys.
Friends of mine had to stop on their AT right in the middle and fly home to Europe as a close relative was in critical condition. This is just bad luck and feels very disappointing. And it would be hard for them to walk on as their thoughts would have been with said relative all the time.

Do what you feel you need to. The Camino is not going away.

I have 3 disks that are herniated….but they are not painful …until they are….only when they press on a nerve, and then with rest, ice, and chiropractor, the pain does cease…as the disc is then no longer pressing on a nerve. This, of course, is not meant to minimize your daughters situation. But frequently, herniated disc pain will subside with care in a few days to weeks. By the time you visit on the 24th she may be measurably better. I would not cancel plans until the last possible moment, if you must!

I am all for supporting family, but it also appears like she may have sufficient support options there as well (?) Her mother-in-law, husband, daycare, physical therapist, etc.? If you go down on the 24th of June, you can also provide assistance and give your daughter’s mother-in-law relief. Not sure how long your staying, but maybe you could prepare some meals that could be frozen and used while you are on your camino and all that would be needed is oven or microwave. As a nurse what could you do while there in June?

If you can go on the Camino without worrying about your daughter’s condition daily, do so. But if you are unable to let go, then perhaps best to reschedule. Having a family meeting might provide you with peace of mind regarding your possible decision.

Let us know how things turnout.

Last edited:

€60,-
I have 3 disks that are herniated….but they are not painful …until they are….only when they press on a nerve, and then with rest, ice, and chiropractor, the pain does cease…as the disc is then no longer pressing on a nerve. This, of course, is not meant to minimize your daughters situation. But frequently, herniated disc pain will subside with care in a few days to weeks. By the time you visit on the 24th she may be measurably better. I would not cancel plans until the last possible moment, if you must!

I am all for supporting family, but it also appears like she may have sufficient support options there as well (?) Her mother-in-law, husband, daycare, physical therapist, etc.? If you go down on the 24th of June, you can also provide assistance and give your daughter’s mother-in-law relief. Not sure how long your staying, but maybe you could prepare some meals that could be frozen and used while you are on your camino and all that would be needed is oven or microwave. As a nurse what could you do while there in June?

If you can go on the Camino without worrying about your daughter’s condition daily, do so. But if you are unable to let go, then perhaps best to reschedule. Having a family meeting might provide you with peace of mind regarding your possible decision.

Let us know how things turnout.
Yes this is what we are hoping for...that she will be improved enough when we go down to visit at the end of June, and that we will still be able to go. I love your suggestion about making and freezing meals...great idea!

She was a tiny bit better this week being on the prednisone but often still having much pain and using a walker. I will definitely let everyone here know how things stand after our visit. I'm so sorry for anyone here who is suffering with this same ailment and for those of you who have had losses impacting your camino plans. I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to offer words of support, encouragement and wisdom! It has been a huge help to me!

Paula, I feel your angst. I had planned and looked forward to the Via Podiensis for a couple of years and was heartbroken both when my mom was diagnosed with cancer and I had to cancel the trip two months before leaving. I became her caregiver for five months and was devasted when she passed but rebooked everything..and then Covid hit. Finally was able to walk this year and it was a somber and reflective trip for me, not a bad thing. You have to be able to live with whatever you choose and you have the added weight of your husband’s desire to walk now. There are lots of options, though…I babysat a ton as a teenager and sometimes the mom would just stay home and get things done in another room while I watched the kids. Since it’s the summer, that may be an option to keep everyone happy. It’s safe for the baby since the mom is home, lets the mom heal and if you get a good sitter, she could even prepare meals and pick up a bit. Best wishes to you, whatever you choose and Buen Camino when you do get to walk!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Paula, sure the Camino is for you, just not now ... later but not now.
All sounds awful but what if it had happened on July 8th? ... so be what and who you are - good and kind and loving parents .... Camino will be there for you xxx

When it's meant to be, obstacles will work themselves out. You have felt the call, and when the time is right you and your sweetie will go.

The first, and continuing, lesson of the Camino is that we are not in control. We have to accept that the timing of things, and sometimes the places we sleep, are in other hands. Trust, though so hard for us moderns to do, is necessary.

I recently had to suspend my Camino because of an overuse injury to my leg. (For the curious, walked from Merida to Alcuescar in one day. Don't do that.) I couldn't walk at all for a little bit. Now am back home, doing the things my leg needs to recover. Hot water bottles, Voltaren type gel, elevating the leg, etc. etc. Am able to walk a little and gait is improving, and in maybe a few more days can try to do more. "God willing and the crick don't rise" we will return to that path in the future.

From Antonius: "Maybe the time is not now and it will be after that bad situation has passed and you will have the opportunity to thank the Apostle for the good outcome of it all." What he said.

I have said a prayer for your daughter and the situation they're in. Also one for T2Andreo's wife. We're all on this big Camino together.

BC

Another update....daughter is still doing better. Went to PT and has some exercises she is doing. Getting around a little better. Her mother-in-law has been picking up my grandson from daycare and providing some meals for them and helping with bath and bedtime in the evenings. I am so grateful for that! Still wanting to see for myself how she is on Monday when we get down to NC.

On another note...we are still training and did our longest walk yet today... about 15 miles. My foot with the plantar fasciitis held up well and no blisters! And a special pre-camino moment happened! We were walking through a local town and a man stopped us to ask a question. We explained we were training for the camino and it turns out he is a priest! He gave us his blessings and it was just so wonderful! Maybe this trip will happen after all! Things seem to be going in the right direction! Feeling hopeful 🤞

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another update....daughter is still doing better. Went to PT and has some exercises she is doing. Getting around a little better. Her mother-in-law has been picking up my grandson from daycare and providing some meals for them and helping with bath and bedtime in the evenings. I am so grateful for that! Still wanting to see for myself how she is on Monday when we get down to NC.

On another note...we are still training and did our longest walk yet today... about 15 miles. My foot with the plantar fasciitis held up well and no blisters! And a special pre-camino moment happened! We were walking through a local town and a man stopped us to ask a question. We explained we were training for the camino and it turns out he is a priest! He gave us his blessings and it was just so wonderful! Maybe this trip will happen after all! Things seem to be going in the right direction! Feeling hopeful 🤞
Paula, Glad you made it down to be with your daughter on the 24th of June that you also have completed a 15 mile training walk. July 7th is approaching!

Paula, Glad you made it down to be with your daughter on the 24th of June that you also have completed a 15 mile training walk. July 7th is approaching!
Marbe2... the plot thickens as they say. We had changed our plans to go to Durham today on Monday and come back on Saturday so we'd have more time to watch the baby. But....

I was in the hospital over the weekend to rule out a stroke! I woke up Sat am and was so dizzy I couldn't walk straight. They did a CT scan and an MRI and lots of blood tests and everything was negative. They kept me overnight for observation and cardiac monitoring. They believe it is an inner ear disturbance called Benign Paroxysmal Postural Vertigo or BPPV for short. It is nothing harmful but it is terribly uncomfortable. I am seeing an ENT doctor this morning and still don't know if I will go to Durham tonight. I have meds but they don't really help. On the plus side, my daughter is doing much better and getting around more so if this ear thing resolves, I think I would feel comfortable continuing with our plans for the camino. If this whole situation wasn't so sad and stressful, it would be laughable at how ridiculous it is!

Thank you for the thoughts Marbe.

Paula, the ENT will check this, but have your spouse look at your eyes when you're dizzy. Are they twitching (nystagmus)? And have you had a recent upper respiratory infection?

It may be an acute vertigo that, thankfully if so, will resolve with time and training. But again, the ENT should be looking for this.

Best wishes

Paula, the ENT will check this, but have your spouse look at your eyes when you're dizzy. Are they twitching (nystagmus)? And have you had a recent upper respiratory infection?

It may be an acute vertigo that, thankfully if so, will resolve with time and training. But again, the ENT should be looking for this.

Best wishes
Thanks for the info. No eye twitching. The ENT has me going to PT tomorrow for a test for the positional vertigo and if positive, they have head maneuvers to try and dislodge any calcium deposits that may have drifted into the wrong ear canal causing the dizziness. Hopefully this can be resolved before July 7. I am not flying tonight into Durham to see my daughter. Hubby going alone again. Hope my grandson remembers me when I see him again in September!

Yes, we nurses are constantly putting ourselves in or being put in that “caregiver” role! 72 years old now and 7 years post retirement from trauma ICU and still I’m doing it. 2nd issue: an adult child is still and always will be “your child”. I have to agree with a number of other posts, I would not be able to enjoy my Camino unless I knew she was completely taken care of! I will keep positive thoughts your way for a good report from her neuro doc! Perhaps a short delay in your start date? Maybe when it’s just starting to head towards fall? I too have had to postpone a Camino twice due to family health issues and abruptly ended our only attempt on Le Puy.

As others have said, The Camino will always be there. Despite postponements, family issues (including death) and financial issues, life continues! My hubby and I as two aging pilgrims are about to embark on our 4th Camino at the end of August. Come join us if your daughter is improving! It is a beautiful time to cross the Pyrenees

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Paula, keep us posted of your and your daughter's progress! I also believe that your camino will happen at the right time, be it now or later.

A few years ago my husband had a seizure and was in coma for days just before our trip... it was a dark time and this forum was amazing support. Then, when he regained conciousness, his first questions were "what day is today? What day is our flight?" 🤣
The doctor recommended that he should relax and go for long walks... so we did, in Spain!

This is just to say that we never know what cards the universe will play at us. But your camino will be there, and it's heart-warming to read about how loving your family seems to be. All the best!

Hey Paula, keep us posted of your and your daughter's progress! I also believe that your camino will happen at the right time, be it now or later.

A few years ago my husband had a seizure and was in coma for days just before our trip... it was a dark time and this forum was amazing support. Then, when he regained conciousness, his first questions were "what day is today? What day is our flight?" 🤣
The doctor recommended that he should relax and go for long walks... so we did, in Spain!

This is just to say that we never know what cards the universe will play at us. But your camino will be there, and it's heart-warming to read about how loving your family seems to be. All the best!
Thank you for this encouraging post! How wonderful that your husband could do the walk so soon after being in a coma! I am hoping this vertigo will be resolved by July 7th. I just talked to my daughter and she is doing much better with her physical therapy. Her mother-in-law seems happy to help with the baby so that's great. Of course I caught a cold just after getting this vertigo thing....not covid (just tested). Just another wrinkle to get through. I saw the PT today and he did the vertigo test which was positive for the right ear so he did some maneuvers with my head. It seems better but I have another appt scheduled for Thursday if needed.

Thank you for the kind words!

I can totally understand your disappointment and feeling that the universe is telling you something. Our planned camino for 2020 was also postponed several times and we finally started the Via de la Plata from Seville in April. First a heatwave and the hottest April day on record for an already long and challenging day, then a bad upper respiratory infection which added an extra rest day at Merida and then finally an injured knee which ended the camino. My husband and I were so disappointed after the years of planning this trip to not finish in Santiago, having walked as far as Zamora.
Our silver lining was spending a week in the UK with our grandsons before returning home to Australia.
I then immediately starting thinking perhaps my knee would recover with rest and we could return in October to complete the final stages .
Turns out I have a stress fracture and I was devastated when the orthopaedic surgeon said no walking for at least 6 months …
I am grateful that I’ve had the opportunity to walk 3 caminos in the past and really trying to stay positive that I will return one day .
It’s so hard to explain the joy of walking a camino to those who haven’t and only those who have “get it “

Good luck with whatever decision you make and I hope your daughter has a good recovery and you walk your camino one day, if not now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

The Camino will still be there for you. Everybody has had to change plans over the past 4 years - you're not special in that regard ! So I wouldn't take this as a "message" at all. I recently had to cancel a Camino at short notice because of a dental condition that couldn't be put off and I'm sure we're not the only one whose plans have gone awry. There's always next year !

Hi Paula, very sorry about your daughter. I hope she gets better soon.

Re your Camino, do not fret. Even if the Universe is trying to tell you something, it would be that now is not the time. I fear that should you go now, you would feel uneasy thinking about your daughter.

Your time will come and it will have that much more meaning after all the anticipation and build-up. ¡Buen Camino!

Thank-you Paula! We are journeying with you. In a sense you have already started your camino! You have been training and have been dealing with circumstances that one might need to deal with if one were already walking. You are fortunate to be home to deal with the dizziness.

Do continue to update us.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone....here's the update. Our trip is going to be starting Friday! My daughter is doing much better. I told her we would postpone if she needed us and she said "No no no". She did not want us to miss it. They have things covered so we will press on! My vertigo episode seems to have resolved. And if it comes back, I know what I need to do for it. We are excited and nervous and all those things you feel embarking on a big adventure! Looking forward to being peregrinos!

So glad to hear your daughter is improving so quickly after all.
Yay...great to hear your Camino will be unfolding as planned!
Thank you for keeping us posted periodically and updating this thread with such good news.🙂

Hi Everyone....here's the update. Our trip is going to be starting Friday! My daughter is doing much better. I told her we would postpone if she needed us and she said "No no no". She did not want us to miss it. They have things covered so we will press on! My vertigo episode seems to have resolved. And if it comes back, I know what I need to do for it. We are excited and nervous and all those things you feel embarking on a big adventure! Looking forward to being peregrinos!

Woo Hoo! Great News all round.
Buen Camino. :)

Great news Paula! We appreciate the time you took to update us and to celebrate with us your start on July 7th! Keep us up to date on how things go if you don’t mind writing occasionally. Buen Camino!

So glad to hear! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am performing 24 x 7 caregiving for my wife, and I completely understand the situation you are in. Do what is best for your loved ones FIRST.

The Camino has been there for over 1,200 years. It will await your eventual participation.

Be well,

Tom
Sorry about your wife’s illness! 🙏 Hopeyou aretak8ngcare of yourself in all of this as well!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back