• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pros & Cons of One-way Flights

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2023
Frances 2024
I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and the Portuguese in May 2023. I’ve always booked RT flights.

I’m shopping for one-way flights for my husband and I from Portland Oregon to Spain for the Frances in June ‘24. I want to be able to return home from wherever suits us.

What are the pros and cons of this plan?
👣🎒💕

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technically you may need to have a return ticket or onward travel booked to use the Schengen visa waiver scheme. I have read of someone being refused boarding in the US because they had no such return travel arranged. Coming from the UK this in theory applies to me too but I think it may be enforced more often for travellers from the US.

I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and the Portuguese in May 2023. I’ve always booked RT flights.

I’m shopping for one-way flights for my husband and I from Portland Oregon to Spain for the Frances in June ‘24. I want to be able to return home from wherever suits us.

👣🎒💕
Every year for the last many en route to the Camino I've booked return flights and had to pay to change them. For 2024 I've vowed to book 1 way.

FYI Out of Calgary, Canada I've found that direct to Barcelona gives me the most flexibility. BCN airport has great connections to whatever route I choose, is less hassle and strike prone than Paris, and BCN is a great city.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Easiest travel to Pamplona: I recommend train: ca. 20 departures/day:

Thank you!
I love Rome2Rio… This app works well for trip planning AND while sorting out sticky hiccups with travel connections.

So I've always booked round trip flights for travel to Spain, but one way flights for within Spain / Portugal. I personally like to fly into Madrid because I often buy my plane ticket before even knowing which route I'm going to walk. MAD is right in the middle, with great transportation options, so I figure out how to get to the start point later.

I probably had to change the return trip on 4 of my visits. The only time it was an issue ($$$) was last time, when I had a medical emergency and had to get home immediately. It turned out it was cheaper for me to cancel my return trip (eating it, sucked) and then getting a one way flight back home. Luckily, I used miles, so the financial consequences weren't too bad.

If once you are there and figure out a more realistic timeline well enough in advance, the change fees aren't so bad. If you have to go home tomorrow because of an emergency (rare!), it sucks. Just my experience.

The biggest con for me is price. When you are flying from North America two one way tickets are usually a lot more expensive than a round trip or multi-city ticket (eg. fly to Paris and home from Madrid). And last minute one way tickets can be really expensive.

Thank you!
I love Rome2Rio… This app works well for trip planning AND while sorting out sticky hiccups with travel connections.
If you want to walk CF, the best is Barcelona. Depending on TOA, you can take a train the same afternoon to Pamplona and start walking the next day. Or have a night in Barcelona/Pamplona to sleep off jetlag.

As for one way/return, I think US members of this forum are the most reliable for info. Personally, I always buy one way, but I am Norwegian, so it's not much extra cost (if any).

Edit: And I come from a Schengen country, anyway, so that's not an issue for me.

Edit: The pros of one way are of course several: Freedom, change of plans, sickness, bored, accidents, lost/stolen documents/cards, family problems/death at home, and every other mishap you can think of (but won't happen, hopefully) etc. etc. The only cons I can think of is some extra cost (maybe).

Of all these, I value the freedom aspect highest.

Last edited:

I also prefer to book one-way flights to europe from the US. For me it’s much better because I’m usually not sure of the exact dates I want go back home. And I always end up leaving from a different city, because part of it is going somewhere new!

I think many people do this, and have no problems.

However, If you’re subject to the 90 day stay rule in the EU,(I have dual citizenship with Italy so I’m not subject to any visa limitations), and you have any problems with immigration or the airlines, often just showing some sort of proof that you can afford it, like a credit card, is enough.
When this has happened to people, I’ve heard it’s usually because of the airlines. Apparently they get fined by the arriving airport if people get turned away by customs or passport control.

There’s a company that will make real plane reservations for you that they cancel after 48 hours for $16. So then you have proof that you are leaaving. I’ve never used this but some travel blogs I’ve read have recommended it. One of the blogs talked about someone doing it right at the airport, because the airline wouldn’t let them on their plane otherwise.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also prefer to book one-way flights... For me it’s much better because I’m usually not sure of the exact dates I want go back home. And I always end up leaving from a different city, Because part of the way I choose it is by finding the best price.
Exactly! 2 times I have bought a return ticket. Both times I had to just throw it away due to change of plans/mishap. Change of flight was more expensive than buying a new one...

Technically you may need to have a return ticket or onward travel booked to use the Schengen visa waiver scheme. I have read of someone being refused boarding in the US because they had no such return travel arranged. Coming from the UK this in theory applies to me too but I think it may be enforced more often for travellers from the US.
True. Check and double check. I had a one way ticket from Australia to France. When I got to Sydney airport I was not allowed to check in because I did not have a return ticket (out of EU). Ended up paying a premium price for a return flight.
My advice book a flexible return flight.
PS if you think you can buy discount tickets at an international airport an hour before boarding … I can sell you the Sydney Opera House.

More thoughts on having a one way- I have never been challenged on having to prove a return ticket. But maybe the big database in the sky knows I have it without my proffering it.

Yet why a return air ticket? Surely you could enter the EU from AUZ/NZ and then leave for the UK or Morocco by boat. Or arrive from Portland, USA and leave the Schengen to go on to visit Turkey by train? Instead of having to show an expensive return air ticket one could show a cheap hotel reservation in Istanbul as proof of onward travel as @Bradypus says.

Reading further on the subject I found that each member country may have its own rules, it's not Schengen wide. France it appears MAY demand proof of sufficient funds and / or travel insurance and / or a return ticket.

Obviously everyone should should determine the exact circumstances that apply to them from official sources and not from happy go lucky Caminonistas but perhaps the Euro experts among us could comment on this?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think you should check those prices carefully, as one-way tickets are usually much more expensive, assuming you are booking with a major airline. Keep in mind that if you wait to book the return flight, until you are getting close to Santiago, you will need to pay whatever the price is at that time, and on shorter notice, so you really don't know what it will be. Are you moving into the high season or out of it?

It may make more sense to pay more for a flexible ticket that allows a change with just the fare difference, or even with a change fee. After all, you will be faced with that fare difference anyway! You must consider the following in your bet:
  • How likely will your initial guess at timing (for your return) be wrong by enough to warrant a change?
  • How much will the fares go up/down before you are ready to book the return?
  • What is the current difference between a fare that doesn't allow changes, and one that does allow changes?
  • How much is the change fee?
Keep in mind that some of the responses don't take into account that the fare conditions are quite different for travel from different parts of the world. The best strategy for travel from North America may be very different from the best strategy from Europe, Australia, or elsewhere.

2 times I have bought a return ticket. Both times I had to just throw it away due to change of plans/mishap. Change of flight was more expensive than buying a new one...
Sometimes throwing away the return portion is the best solution in the end. But it is probably not the best bet in advance, if you think there is a good chance that you will in fact meet your schedule.

There is no right answer!

I think you should check those prices carefully, as one-way tickets are usually much more expensive, assuming you are booking with a major airline. Keep in mind that if you wait to book the return flight, until you are getting close to Santiago, you will need to pay whatever the price is at that time, and on shorter notice, so you really don't know what it will be. Are you moving into the high season or out of it?

It may make more sense to pay more for a flexible ticket that allows a change with just the fare difference, or even with a change fee. After all, you will be faced with that fare difference anyway! You must consider the following in your bet:
  • How likely will your initial guess at timing (for your return) be wrong by enough to warrant a change?
  • How much will the fares go up/down before you are ready to book the return?
  • What is the current difference between a fare that doesn't allow changes, and one that does allow changes?
  • How much is the change fee?
Keep in mind that some of the responses don't take into account that the fare conditions are quite different for travel from different parts of the world. The best strategy for travel from North America may be very different from the best strategy from Europe, Australia, or elsewhere.

Sometimes throwing away the return portion is the best solution in the end. But it is probably not the best bet in advance, if you think there is a good chance that you will in fact meet your schedule.

There way ticket inside Europe. so all is well for me. If outside of the good lands, tke your prece is no right answer!
Agreed. I always find good prices for a one way ticket back home inside Euope- Long hauls may be a different matter. I don't know.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Agreed. I always find good prices for a one way ticket back home inside Euope- Long hauls may be a different matter. I don't know.
Definitely much more difficult to find a good price for a one way ticket to a different continent - especially last minute tickets.
I was going to say the same thing. But Spain is a comparatively easy country to travel around, so if your return date is fixed it shouldn´t be a big problem to get to your departure point from wherever you happen to wind up.
I've always bought a return flight, and allow myself at least an extra week to complete the Camino and do some other sightseeing.

I flew one way from EWR to CDG on United Airlines.
Almost 7 weeks later I flew MAD to PHL (obviously OW) on American Airlines
One can say that these 2 flights are as disconnected from each other as they could possibly be (and they weren't purchased together at the same time).
Not at any time while boarding in EWR was I asked about any return travel arrangements

Technically you may need to have a return ticket or onward travel booked to use the Schengen visa waiver scheme.
The chances of being refused entry for not having a return ticket are slim in the extreme. Border control would need to have a reason for suspicion to even ask and if you have a paid up credit card and look as respectable as I am sure most of us do, they will let you in. And I speak as somebody once refused entry to a Scottish pub.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Definitely much more difficult to find a good price for a one way ticket to a different continent - especially last minute tickets.

When I look at airfares here in Aotearoa New Zealand I also always get a return ticket but the outbound flight (from ANZ) is priced separately from the inbound flight AND the inbound flight is always much more expensive than the outbound flight.

This means that, when comparing one way prices they need to be compared with the expensive return flight cost, not half the total return fare.

I've always bought a return flight, and allow myself at least an extra week to complete the Camino and do some other sightseeing.

So I've always booked round trip flights for travel to Spain, but one way flights for within Spain / Portugal. I personally like to fly into Madrid because I often buy my plane ticket before even knowing which route I'm going to walk. MAD is right in the middle, with great transportation options, so I figure out how to get to the start point later.

I probably had to change the return trip on 4 of my visits. The only time it was an issue ($$$) was last time, when I had a medical emergency and had to get home immediately. It turned out it was cheaper for me to cancel my return trip (eating it, sucked) and then getting a one way flight back home. Luckily, I used miles, so the financial consequences weren't too bad.

If once you are there and figure out a more realistic timeline well enough in advance, the change fees aren't so bad. If you have to go home tomorrow because of an emergency (rare!), it sucks. Just my experience.
i'am doing doing that also for a MayJune Camino in 2024. Going to buy my ticket within the next 2 weeks for a 7 or 8 weeks return ticket to Madrid than figure out where I want to walk in the new year. Maybe I'll put different caminos in a hat and pull out a few and go that way lol. Although I am paying a little bit more for my ticket so I can change my ticket for a small fee just in case I want to stay longer or come home sooner. I hope the coming home sooner doesn't come into play.

The biggest con for me is price. When you are flying from North America two one way tickets are usually a lot more expensive than a round trip or multi-city ticket (eg. fly to Paris and home from Madrid). And last minute one way tickets can be really expensive.
Often, I search both outbound and return separately with "flexible scheduling." Once I see the date/time/price combinations I like, I clear cookies and search again for a round trip with those dates. Clear cookies because sometimes they change the price when they know you have looked for those destinations.

But more often, I just book one way. I've made at least 57 entries into nineteen countries other than my native USA, most of them without a return ticket. Eleven of those were into Spain, nine from outside Schengen. Of course, I realize that's risky. Next time, I may take the advice of having a refundable ticket that I can cancel later. But when I did have a return ticket, it was usually booked separately and I've never been asked.

I had a one way ticket from Australia to France. When I got to Sydney airport I was not allowed to check in because I did not have a return ticket
Interesting that both members who have reported problems through not having return tickets have had problems with the airline, not border control. Sadly, if the airline won´t let you on, there´s not much you can do about it. One dodge might be to buy a cheap e.g. Ryan Air ticket out of Spain. You don´t need a return ticket, just an onward ticket.

perhaps the Euro experts among us could comment on this?
I am not sure that there is a great appetite for this but I, obviously, cannot resist the temptation. The law in question, the Schengen Border Code, applies in the same way to all the EU countries (all of the EU and not just EU Schengen) and the relevant quote, in its current version, says, that you, the third country nationals, can enter if, among other things,

they justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and they have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin or transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, or are in a position to acquire such means lawfully
This applies to all third country nationals, those who must get a visa and those who don't have to get a visa. I am not a lawyer but what I read is that you have to be in a position to fulfil this requirement. It does not say that you will be checked to see if you do; it does not say that you need to have a return flight, just that you must have the financial means, or access to such means, to leave for somewhere else and out of the EU / Schengen when your time is up. Also, there are no EU wide sanctions; what border control will do or can do, should they have a reason to do anything at all in case of infringement, is different from country to country.

Airlines risk being slapped with substantial fines when they bring in people who are not qualified to enter (to quote a recent and official Ryanair document though in the context of the future EES: "Carriers' liability charges apply if we allow non-compliant passengers to board"). So they all have developed individual policies for the passengers they carry to minimise this financial risk.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A word of caution to visitors to the US with a visa or allowed in with the visa waiver program; if you want to avoid buying a round-trip ticket by buying one with onward travel there are a number of countries that cannot be the destination of that ticket, Canada and Mexico included but there are others. You could be refused entry with one of tickets.

Edit: Finally found a reference. This quote is only one detail in entrance requirements:
If traveling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to U.S. immigration at the port of entry. Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;

Another edit: On another thread there are two posts on the related topic about the US requirement to have gone through the ESTA process even if transiting through the US with no intent of leaving the airport except on the onward flight. See:

Last edited:

👣🎒💕
The Pros: I have flown from USA to Spain 8 times in the last 8 years, plus 8 other trips to Europe. I always book one way tickets using frequent flyer miles. It always cost the same as 1 RT, or surprisingly it is sometimes cheaper to get two one-ways rather than a round trip. I have had to change European departure city and time numerous times. The flyer miles are always completely reimbursed, so no loss there. Since the plague, there has been no late booking or cancellations fees, at least with American and United. They have never checked to see if I had a return flight in order to let me board in the USA.

Cons: it takes a bit longer to book separate flights, and you need to keep track of more record locator/confirmation/booking/reservation numbers, whatever the term of the day is that the airline decides to use.

Last minute flight changes, whether one way or RT, may cost more in cash or flyer miles.

I did not have a return flight when I did the Frances this past fall. No problems

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

👣🎒💕
Another pro of separate tickets is that one airline might offer better options/price for a particular leg of your journey

I did not have a return flight when I did the Frances this past fall. No problems
Many people - probably most - seem to have no problem travelling without return or onward travel reservations. But a few do. The US State department advice to its citizens travelling to Spain is that a return ticket is required while the Spanish government advice is that it may be required. Take your pick! :)

I guess pre internet the airline fare world was far more complex. Length of stay, advance booking periods, etc. Very broadly a one way fare was pretty much the same as a return fare. So it might be $500 one way FRA-LAX and also €500 return. The one way would be far more flexible than the return but that is how it was.

Fare structures changed, simplified with the internet as the catalyst. Nowadays, well the whole buying process has changed. Back in the day you would ask for a quote, on FRA to LAX, single or return and make a decision. Now you can book the cheapest one way, choosing from hundreds of routes, and also do that on return, so whilst a restricted or semi restrictive return is likely to be cheaper on many occasions, the risk of doing ‘one ways’ is hugely reduced as there are so many routes to choose form!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fare structures changed, simplified with the internet as the catalyst.
Indeed. And along with the ease of internet booking there has also been a huge expansion in regional air travel with the entry of the budget airlines into the market. I made my way from Scotland to SJPDP by train for my first Camino and also returned to Scotland by train from Santiago. Far cheaper at the time than flying. A situation now completely reversed when I would expect to pay several times the price to travel overland.

👣🎒💕
On our 4 trips to Europe we have always picked a date a few weeks beyond our anticipated end date for our caminos. We toured wherever we wanted after our caminos. This last time we booked a transatlantic cruise back to the states from Lisbon so we knew when we needed to begin our journey home. Spent two amazing weeks in Lisbon. We have never been asked for return ticket information on our way out of the country or in immigration. Not to say it doesn't happen.

True. Check and double check. I had a one way ticket from Australia to France. When I got to Sydney airport I was not allowed to check in because I did not have a return ticket (out of EU). Ended up paying a premium price for a return flight.
My advice book a flexible return flight.
PS if you think you can buy discount tickets at an international airport an hour before boarding … I can sell you the Sydney Opera House.

Wow! When was this? I have only once travelled on a one way ticket - from Australia to UK - many years ago. No problems at any airport.
It seems things might have changed.

€83,-
A word of caution to visitors to the US with a visa or allowed in with the visa waiver program; if you want to avoid buying a round-trip ticket by buying one with onward travel there are a number of countries that cannot be the destination of that ticket, Canada and Mexico included but there are others. You could be refused entry with one of tickets.

Edit: Finally found a reference. This quote is only one detail in entrance requirements:

WOW!
So...OK... here I am, a Cosmopolitan Tourist a crazy Globe Trotter and i am a Citizen of...say France!
Aux armes, citoyens! Formez Vos bataillons!
I am flying to US with full intentions to spend some time in this absolutely stupendously magnificent country and then continue onto (eenie-meenie-.... CANADA!) I do have the "onward" ticket as I bought all of them in one swoop
So US wont let me into the country because i am NOT a citizen of Canada?
Am I understanding this correct?

So...OK... here I am, a Cosmopolitan Tourist ...
Am I understanding this correct?
Pretty much. In your example it's okay if you are a citizen or resident of Canada. Also, if you're not Canadian, the immigration agent might be able to waive this regulation but it is there. You might also be given the chance to buy a ticket that makes things right.

I'm aware of this rule after reading about an Australian young man who was jailed for a bit and then deported because he had no return ticket and his onward ticket was to Mexico. There was some reason he couldn't buy a ticket with his phone before it was taken away at the jail.

I didn't intend to get off topic so much but I did want to let people be aware of this obscure rule. It's so obscure I had problems getting the reference even knowing about it.

Every year for the last many en route to the Camino I've booked return flights and had to pay to change them. For 2024 I've vowed to book 1 way.

FYI Out of Calgary, Canada I've found that direct to Barcelona gives me the most flexibility. BCN airport has great connections to whatever route I choose, is less hassle and strike prone than Paris, and BCN is a great city.
Book directly with the airlines instead of through an on-line agency/agency and this will save you money - the airlines have their own booking staff who can offer you the best option without the penalties.

Book directly with the airlines instead of through an on-line agency/agency and this will save you money - the airlines have their own booking staff who can offer you the best option without the penalties.
Always good advice. If there are any schedule changes or things start to go sideways it's much better to deal with the airline than a middleman.

Last edited:
I as well. I purchase my round trip far, far in advance. This for me is when I can find the cheapest flights. However, I do take a peek from time to time and if I see a lower fare, I change it to get the higher portion refunded. I book extra time so I can stay a couple nights in Santiago and a couple nights in my return city Paris. I have found two, one way tickets are more expensive than round trip.

So I just booked my round trip flight to Spain for this spring from Florida. The RT main cabin cost was $940. A one way ticket to Spain on the same flight was $740 and a one way return ticket on the same flight is was $3,683…. Yes that’s right. I go to Spain annually and haven’t been willling to take the risk, I just build in extra time. I did go one year with a friend who had a one way ticket and her return ticket was very expensive and it was stressful for her. I’ll risk the $200 it cost me on the front end. So be sure to price it a two one ways before deciding.

So I just booked my round trip flight to Spain for this spring from Florida. The RT main cabin cost was $940. A one way ticket to Spain on the same flight was $740 and a one way return ticket on the same flight is was $3,683…. Yes that’s right. I go to Spain annually and haven’t been willling to take the risk, I just build in extra time. I did go one year with a friend who had a one way ticket and her return ticket was very expensive and it was stressful for her. I’ll risk the $200 it cost me on the front end. So be sure to price it a two one ways before deciding.
Yes, I’ve also seen the same shenanigans today. At this point I will likely purchase a RT with a flex return 8 weeks after our arrival. 😏

I never buy return tickets anywhere because I don't usually know when or where I'll return from. It's never been a problem. There was a time when return flights were cheaper than one way. I don't find that to be the case anymore.
This year I got a flight from Portland to Paris in early September for under $400. Once in Europe I used the trains 👍🏽

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2 one-way tickets are more than double the price. No idea why this is.
I never understood that either.

I'm one of those people who accumulates airline miles with the help of credit cards. With airline miles, usually two one-way and round-trip tickets are the same amount of miles. For the last 10 years, I've managed to accumulate enough miles, using promotions mostly, to pay for two one-way trips to Europe and back every other year from the United States.

Worth looking into if you're a person who uses credit cards anyway. United has the best programs. Read the fine print!

Edit: And @Amachant ,if you don’t have miles, I think the most affordable way for most people who want flexibility is to take your best guess, and buy a RT ticket that it’s possible to change (because some of the cheapest ones aren’t). That way you’ll only pay the difference in price of the second ticket if you decide to change it.

The longer in advance you change the ticket, the cheaper it’s going to be. And you can plug in dates and cities until you find a ticket that you’re willing to buy. I can’t guarantee this, but I think in the end it’ll be cheaper than buying two one-way tickets.

Edit, edit: and I see above this is exactly what you’ve decided to do…

Last edited:
There was a time when return flights were cheaper than one way. I don't find that to be the case anymore.
Flights within North America are normally now priced as one-way tickets - there is no difference between two one-ways and the return round-trip version. It is the cross-Atlantic/Pacific part that gets more complicated. Some special airlines - discount or seasonal charter type - will offer special deals, but usually only between major cities.

If you want to travel major airlines, usually the return round-trip ticket overseas is significantly cheaper than two separate tickets.

I will likely purchase a RT with a flex return
That is a good plan. However, the "fare difference" will still be charged if you need to make a change, and it will inevitably be more than you expected! The fare re-calculation can be very complicated. The $100 (or whatever) change fee may be the least of the concerns.

Last edited:
I know that it's common usage in the UK and Europe, but I find the term "return ticket" to be confusing when it means what I would call a "round trip ticket." To me a "return ticket" is my ticket home only, and doesn't include my outbound ticket. I know I won't convince anyone to change their vocabulary, but hopefully if anyone is confused "return ticket" = "round trip ticket." 🙂

Other ticket types are and multi-city (also known as open jaw) and one way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is a good plan. However, the "fare difference" will still be charged if you need to make a change, and it will inevitably be more than you expected! The fare re-calculation can be very complicated. The $100 (or whatever) change fee may be the least of the concerns.
I think nowadays, most of the airlines offer tickets without change fees. So you only have to pay the difference in cost between the two tickets.

This is not every ticket, but most of them. For instance, United offers a “basic economy” ticket, and then an “economy“ticket. “Basic economy” tickets are not refundable or changeable. But any other ticket you buy is much more flexible.

Obviously, you pay slightly more for the options, but not that much If you think there’s even a small chance that you may need to change or cancel your ticket. This was all started during Covid when people were scared to book tickets because of country lockdowns.

And I have tried to change tickets. If it’s just a few days in advance before your flight, it’s very expensive. But if it’s two or three weeks, it’s often not that expensive. It seems to be a supply and demand algorithm.

But of course, expensive is relative. I’m willing to pay a couple hundred dollars to change, but not $500.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think nowadays, most of the airlines offer tickets without change fees.
Yes, last time and at the last minute (2 days before departure), I was shocked when I called Iberia and was quoted $2350 US for the change for my flight back home to USA... I told the agent I had purchased the no change fee option... he said "It isn't the change fee... It's the difference in fare." He also advised me, at this point, I would be better off just cancelling my round-trip return flight and purchasing a new one.

I think nowadays, most of the airlines offer tickets without change fees. So you only have to pay the difference in cost between the two tickets
Prior to Covid this was unusual. To encourage people to travel again many airlines dropped all change fees, and only charge the difference in fares. I imagine that most will go back to charging change fees.

Yes, last time and at the last minute (2 days before departure), I was shocked when I called Iberia and was quoted $2350 US for the change for my flight back home to USA... I told the agent I had purchased the no change fee option... he said "It isn't the change fee... It's the difference in fare." He also advised me, at this point, I would be better off just cancelling my round-trip return flight and purchasing a new one.
That happened to me also when I tried to change the ticket a couple of days in advance; not that much but it was like $1000. I guess changing is not a realistic option unless you have a couple of weeks.

'Google Flights" seems to be the best website for finding retail tickets for me. Google just crawls the whole web for offers.
For instance, if I look for one-way flights from Boston to Madrid in the next two weeks, the prices range from $1500 tomorrow to $420 next week Thursday.

That happened to me also when I tried to change the ticket a couple of days in advance; not that much but it was like $1000. I guess changing is not a realistic option unless you have a couple of weeks.

'Google Flights" seems to be the best website for finding retail tickets for me. Google just crawls the whole web for offers.
For instance, if I look for one-way flights from Boston to Madrid in the next two weeks, the prices range from $1500 tomorrow to $420 next week Thursday.
I may be a bit old school, I hate to say it being only 49 years old... but... after that experience I will never again use an aggregator/look for the cheapest fare. I have an established relationship with AA. They, in my experience, have the best partnerships (BA/Iberia) for any trip to Spain. I have their credit card too, and like, I sort of go back there a lot. For example... I booked my one way trip back home with AA and told the agent I had already purchased upgrades from Main Cabin to Main cabin Extra on the return (round) trip that was cancelled. Because I booked the original flight from Iberia but the seat change plans on AA, I at least earned some travel credits that I have applied for my next trip.

I have always booked one way flights, but coming from the UK that is easier and cheaper for me than for those of you arriving from further away.

I accept that it can be more expensive doing it that way. For example, September 2023 it was cheaper for me to stay another 24hrs in SdC than pay for the next day flight out.

But, at least it gave me the flexibility I needed. Sometimes a day can make a big difference in price 😁

I may be a bit old school, I hate to say it being only 49 years old... but... after that experience I will never again use an aggregator/look for the cheapest fare.
I use several of them, but once I find a fare I like, I check the airline to see their price for the same flight. If its's the same or lower, or even if it's slightly higher, I book with the airline. There are a couple of aggregators that I will not book with (due to past rip-offs) but I still check them for prices.

've always bought a return flight, and allow myself at least an extra week to complete the Camino and do some other sightseeing.
That seems like best option, if you've got flex on the return date, why not just build in some extra time for sightseeing? It would take the pressure off trying to finish by a certain date and the stress of trying to find a long-haul ticket at last minute. You can go to a lot of different places in Spain for a few days or just enjoy more time in Santiago.

An alternative (for non-Schenghan travelers) would be to buy a RT ticket for the full 90 days, and then change the return flight when it becomes clear that you know your departure date. It is likely that the change fee (if there is one) together with the fares at the time, would still be less than two one-way tickets.

I always use American Airlines miles and purchase one way tickets.

Free cancellation unlike United Airlines miles which has a penalty if cancelled with less than 30 days usage. With AA miles, you may have to return from A Coruna or Madrid.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Free cancellation unlike United Airlines miles which has a penalty if cancelled with less than 30 days usage. With AA miles, you may have to return from A Coruna or Madrid.
It might've been that way in the past, but as of now, there are no refund fees at all for travel booked with miles on United Airlines.

It's good to hear you had a positive experience with AA miles, because I just got some new credit cards and should have 100,000 by the spring…

I use several of them, but once I find a fare I like, I check the airline to see their price for the same flight. If its's the same or lower, or even if it's slightly higher, I book with the airline. There are a couple of aggregators that I will not book with (due to past rip-offs) but I still check them for prices.
and @Damien Reynolds

The nice thing about Google flights is so far any tickets they showed me that I wanted, the booking links sent to the airline websites. I've read enough horror stories about people booking through third parties that I won't do it. Because then your contract is not actually with the airline…

But I agree, once you find a system that works for you, best to stick to it!

and @Damien Reynolds

The nice thing about Google flights is so far any tickets they showed me that I wanted the booking links sent to the airline websites. I've read enough horror stories about people booking through third parties that I won't do it. Because then your contract is not actually with the airline…

But I agree, once you find a system that works for you, best to stick to it!
Yes. I am "attached" to AA (OneWorld)... they seem to offer the best flights for me traveling from the west coast of USA. And I have their credit card... I think I've flown to Spain/back for "free" like maybe 3 times now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Using mileage award tickets is very different from using money to buy tickets. My miles are mostly with United, and I have never had any issues.

Prior to Covid this was unusual. To encourage people to travel again many airlines dropped all change fees, and only charge the difference in fares. I imagine that most will go back to charging change fees.
It might've been that way in the past, but as of now, there are no refund fees at all for travel booked with miles on United Airlines.

It's good to hear you had a positive experience with AA miles, because I just got some new credit cards and should have 100,000 by the spring…
I just phoned United and you are correct. They couldn't tell me when the policy was changed, but informed me that there is no fee to replace your miles back into your account.
I purchase my flights many, many months in advance, and also at least 2 return dates. On Iberia from Madrid, I usually choose a non-stop flight to the west coast.
In winter, there are flights one way to Europe on AA for as low as 22.5k miles from the west coast.
(It's not cheating, but taking advantage of the system, so we rotate cancelling our credit cards and reapplying for "new" miles.)

I use United miles regularly. When you cancel 100% of the miles are redeposited. The "fees" if any are relatively insgnifcant aren't they.

I have no airline specific credit cards, although I do have one c.c. that accrues points. I have always paid out of pocket for all of my caminos and other international destinations. I'd forgotten I had points collecting on that card and last fall I finally got a free round trip flight to Madrid.🙂
(It's not cheating, but taking advantage of the system, so we rotate cancelling our credit cards and reapplying for "new" miles.)
My son and his wife have a fairly successful travel website and they take advantage of all the available offers on various credit cards; opening and closing them to get the best possible points, etc. Their savings on many flights over the past 5+ years has been remarkable.

I do the same thing. I’m always trying to convince friends of mine to use the system. It’s really no trouble at all. Once I even paid myself through my PayPal account money to qualify. I lost the 2% PayPal fee, but the credit card didn’t blink. And I came out far ahead With free flights.

It’s hard to imagine how the airline credit card companies come out ahead in this system, because otherwise they wouldn’t do it, but they must.

👣🎒💕
Have you tried a multi-city ticket? It seems to cost. Much less than 2 one way tickets.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When I look at airfares here in Aotearoa New Zealand I also always get a return ticket but the outbound flight (from ANZ) is priced separately from the inbound flight AND the inbound flight is always much more expensive than the outbound flight.

This means that, when comparing one way prices they need to be compared with the expensive return flight cost, not half the total return fare.
on air Canada the same for a return flight. Just on there website today, and the first leg of the flight to Madrid was half the price as the return leg to Vancouver.

Have you tried a multi-city ticket? It seems to cost. Much less than 2 one way tickets.
Almost every morning, for the past 3 weeks, I’ve been searching for the best least expensive travel combinations: RT, one-ways, leaving from PDX, SFO, to Madrid, return from Barcelona, change flight options, etc etc etc. I was almost ready to give up.

Tried again this morning with the use of several different search engines. When I switched to book with AA direct, there was an online glitch. Took me another few hours, as well as some grimaces and hair pulling, to sort things out.

FINALLY! I’ve booked flights for our June 2024 return to the Camino!
🥳

I thank you ALL for your all of the information , suggestions, etc.

This forum is clearly essential to pilgrims on and off the Camino.
Buen Camino
👣🎒💞

I know that it's common usage in the UK and Europe, but I find the term "return ticket" to be confusing when it means what I would call a "round trip ticket." To me a "return ticket" is my ticket home only, and doesn't include my outbound ticket. I know I won't convince anyone to change their vocabulary, but hopefully if anyone is confused "return ticket" = "round trip ticket." 🙂

Other ticket types are and multi-city (also known as open jaw) and one way.
It goes back to the days when train tickets were either ‘single’ or ‘return’ so the meaning was obvious. When I first heard the expression ‘round trip’ it didn’t make sense to me as I assumed all journeys were linear, I imagined some kind of circular voyage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

👣🎒💕
I did it to/from the US with no problems in 2015. It can cost more however.

A note about airfares, I was monitoring Air Canada for flights I’m taking in September. Starting the week before Christmas costs went up by at least $200 ( to take advantage of Christmas gatherings when peo0le might plan travel?), but are now reduced again, and in fact there is a decent sale on until Jan 9.

€83,-
I did it to/from the US with no problems in 2015. It can cost more however.
With All Respect Due (and that goes to almost any topic discussing various costs, arrangements, et al) - IMHO there is absolutely no point of comparing anything "now" with anything "pre-COVID" - "The New Normal" is the new normal. I used to fly to Europe for $300-500 N/S from EWR.... its almost double now 😭

A note about airfares, I was monitoring Air Canada for flights I’m taking in September. Starting the week before Christmas costs went up by at least $200 ( to take advantage of Christmas gatherings when peo0le might plan travel?), but are now reduced again, and in fact there is a decent sale on until Jan 9.
That happens around any Holiday or otherwise desirable time of the year. Chalk it up to supply & demand and any other applicable explanation of capitalist system making money (to be sure I am NOT grumbling about the system but merely stating the fact of its basics ;) )

If you want to walk CF, the best is Barcelona. Depending on TOA, you can take a train the same afternoon to Pamplona and start walking the next day. Or have a night in Barcelona/Pamplona to sleep off jetlag.

As for one way/return, I think US members of this forum are the most reliable for info. Personally, I always buy one way, but I am Norwegian, so it's not much extra cost (if any).

Edit: And I come from a Schengen country, anyway, so that's not an issue for me.

Edit: The pros of one way are of course several: Freedom, change of plans, sickness, bored, accidents, lost/stolen documents/cards, family problems/death at home, and every other mishap you can think of (but won't happen, hopefully) etc. etc. The only cons I can think of is some extra cost (maybe).

Of all these, I value the freedom aspect highest.
While I have not challenged to rule, it is my understanding that if you are a US citizen and flying from the US to Europe (Schengen area) they require that you have a return ticket purchased if a tourist staying 90days or less - so they know you won’t be stuck and a financial drain on them. If you plan on staying longer need a different visa - like exchange students, etc - then need to prove you have the financial resources for
Your travel in their countries. Check the State dept website. It covers this topic in detail.

While I have not challenged to rule, it is my understanding that if you are a US citizen and flying from the US to Europe (Schengen area) they require that you have a return ticket purchased if a tourist staying 90days or less - so they know you won’t be stuck and a financial drain on them.

This comes from an official EU document (it's in the europa.eu domain). Sorry but the document I downloaded is in PDF format and I have difficulty finding the URL of these. Anyway, here's a bit of the
Practical Handbook for Border Guards

EUROPEAN COMMISSION
Brussels, 28.10.2022
C(2022) 7591 final

ANNEX to the Commission Recommendation establishing a common "Practical Handbook for Border Guards (Schengen Handbook)" to be used by Member States' competent authorities when carrying out the border control of persons and replacing Recommendation (C (2019) 7131 final)

3. CHECKS ON THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS UPON ENTRY
3.1. The entry conditions to be fulfilled by third-country nationals when entering the territory of a Schengen State are the following:
(a) ...
(b) ...
the justification of the purpose and of the conditions of stay in the Schengen State(s) to be visited, including the possession of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin (or for transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, for instance because they have a residence permit issued by that country), or the possibility to acquire such means lawfully;
(d) ...
(e) ...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While I have not challenged to rule, it is my understanding that if you are a US citizen and flying from the US to Europe (Schengen area) they require that you have a return ticket purchased if a tourist staying 90days or less

As the following quote states, possession of a return ticket isn't required, but the ability to purchase one is.

the justification of the purpose and of the conditions of stay in the Schengen State(s) to be visited, including the possession of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin (or for transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, for instance because they have a residence permit issued by that country), or the possibility to acquire such means lawfully;

Thank you @trecile for bolding some of my previous post; it made a connection in my mind.

Currently the Schengen treaty counties have a list of other countries whose nationals are allowed to visit ports of entry without holding a visa. The authorities are expecting that these visitors from richer countries aren't going to overstay their visit and have the means of subsistence to take care of themselves while visiting. Some might be turned back but most won't. Sometime soon within this century the ETIAS system will be implemented and vistors from these visa free countries will have to register in the program not to be turned back at the ports of entry.

It is my own speculation that one of the ETIAS checks will be to run a credit check on the applicant. If the applicant does well on that there will be less of a need for the border guard to check on finances or return/onward tickets.

It is my own speculation that one of the ETIAS checks will be to run a credit check on the applicant.
:oops: :oops: I find it very hard to believe that a credit check will be carried out. I don't even want to speculate on the complications it would introduce, with little benefit.

This adds a whole new dimension to the angst that the mere mention of ETIAS brings to threads on the forum!

I never understood that either.

I'm one of those people who accumulates airline miles with the help of credit cards. With airline miles, usually two one-way and round-trip tickets are the same amount of miles. For the last 10 years, I've managed to accumulate enough miles, using promotions mostly, to pay for two one-way trips to Europe and back every other year from the United States.

Worth looking into if you're a person who uses credit cards anyway. United has the best programs. Read the fine print!

Edit: And @Amachant ,if you don’t have miles, I think the most affordable way for most people who want flexibility is to take your best guess, and buy a RT ticket that it’s possible to change (because some of the cheapest ones aren’t). That way you’ll only pay the difference in price of the second ticket if you decide to change it.

The longer in advance you change the ticket, the cheaper it’s going to be. And you can plug in dates and cities until you find a ticket that you’re willing to buy. I can’t guarantee this, but I think in the end it’ll be cheaper than buying two one-way tickets.

Edit, edit: and I see above this is exactly what you’ve decided to do…
Yes, I was able to find RT tickets that will allow changes.

Also, for those who are American Airlines members, rumor has it that they will be allowing ticket changes or cancellations if you’ve purchased basic economy tickets as part of a new program promotion.

I just read this in an email an hour ago. Looks like AA is looking for more members. 🧐

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back