• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resupply on Shoes

Drifter

Just Hiker Trash
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024 Le Puy to Finisterre
So I plan on starting the Camino in Le Puy in April. It's about 450 mile to San Jean. Altra shoes last about 500 miles. I WOULD LIKE to mail a pair of shoes to San Jean's Post Office, but it says on their website that they only hold packages for about 2 weeks. It will take me about 4 weeks to walk back to San Jean, so mailing shoes from Le Puy is not an option, (you can see my dilemma). HOW can I get a pair of shoes to San Jean (or there abouts), so I don't have to carry a 2nd pair of shoes for 450 miles???? Yes, I know someone could mail shoes to me from America for like $40 bucks in postage, ugghh. (Maybe the shoes are there when I get there...and maybe they're not there). The shoes that I like are no longer made, so they won't be available in stores. This shouldn't be this hard...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a similar problem as my shoes serve me well only for 500 km at most. I have decided for my next Camino to take 2 pairs of my favourite shoes but not take any other footwear (e.g. sandals or crocs) for the evenings.

You have till April to work this out. Correos keeps/used to keep items for one month, in Santiago. You could investigate whether or not they do that in Pamplona. That is only approx 40km from SJPdP, so not a big difference in mileage.
Your last sentence makes me smile. It's a pilgrimage, friend!😇
40 dollars is not a lot, in the wider scheme of your budget/actual expenses, so don't discount that option.
Another thought: there is a shop in Pamplona, caminoteca? and if you were to contact them - my guess is they will speak English - they might oblige you by receiving and keeping your shoes. Good luck, and buen camno👣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Drifter, you coud consider using the luggage transfer services on the Le Puy route to store and transport your shoes.

La Malle Postale operates from Le Puy to Lectoure - they can store your shoes and then deliver them to your accommodation at any location up to Lectoure. In the second half of the walk, you need to change to another transport company. Les Valises Saint Jacques can store items and deliver to SJPP for you.

Hope this helps, and bon chemin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I use Altra Timp 1.5.
Shoes, shoes
I bought Altraʻs to start walking before my camino and they have already worn thin on the soles after just 2 months of 14 miles a week. I was very surprised as I bought them at the suggestion of a camino pro! Happy I started early to break them in. I now have Hokaʻs and with their thick soles Iʻm hoping they will last until August when I start my pilgrimage!

There's a good solution to your puzzle, I've used it with pilgrims in transit several times. On a day when you know for sure where you'll be the following day, go to deportvillage.com and buy the shoes you want, and have them shipped to your next-day destination.
Their selection is very good and their prices very competitive. (You will need a credit card that works in Euros, however!) Best thing is, Deportvillage has reliable overnight shipping, and your shoes will be at your destination when you get there. (Be sure to let your destination know what's going on!)
I don't work for or with deportvillage.

If you can consider staying in a hotel, you might find a hotel will hold the package for you. Two or three times, we've asked that favor of a hotel where we had a reservation and they've always been happy to help us out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a similar problem as my shoes serve me well only for 500 km at most. I have decided for my next Camino to take 2 pairs of my favourite shoes but not take any other footwear (e.g. sandals or crocs) for the evenings.
Just a suggestion as we all have different feet and preferences. As well as we all walk and wear out shoes differently. You know I walk long caminos. At least 850k and as much as 1400k when I walked from Le Puy to Santiago. I have always worn Brooks Cascadias and have never once had a problem with wear and tear. I usually use my previous camino Cascadias to train for my next camino. Maybe I am just really lucky or what May bother one person doesn’t bother me. My shoes hold up all the way and do t feel like I have less support at the end then I did when I started.
I got one of my best friend to try it as he hikes every day. He agrees with me. Maybe try it. It may work and then again maybe not haha.

If you can consider staying in a hotel, you might find a hotel will hold the package for you. Two or three times, we've asked that favor of a hotel where we had a reservation and they've always been happy to help us out.
Oops, just saw Trecile made the same suggestion above. So, this is a second for that suggestion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So I plan on starting the Camino in Le Puy in April. It's about 450 mile to San Jean. Altra shoes last about 500 miles. I WOULD LIKE to mail a pair of shoes to San Jean's Post Office, but it says on their website that they only hold packages for about 2 weeks. It will take me about 4 weeks to walk back to San Jean, so mailing shoes from Le Puy is not an option, (you can see my dilemma). HOW can I get a pair of shoes to San Jean (or there abouts), so I don't have to carry a 2nd pair of shoes for 450 miles???? Yes, I know someone could mail shoes to me from America for like $40 bucks in postage, ugghh. (Maybe the shoes are there when I get there...and maybe they're not there). The shoes that I like are no longer made, so they won't be available in stores. This shouldn't be this hard...
I mailed shoes and customs refused them. Next time I will bring an extra pair and send them by carrier each day until I am in Spain and then mail them to the appropriate place.

If only! My feet are very fussy and have specific requirements. I am thrilled to have found a pair of shoes that seems to meet them. Otherwise I would have to stop my Caminos. Then I wouldn't have the re-supply problem. 😆
I am the OP.
That's the problem. The shoes that work for me are no longer made. So back when, I bought 8 pairs of Altra Timp 1.5's. I wish Altra Olympus worked for me. I believe those ARE sold in sports stores in Spain. Brooks shoes have WAY too narrow of a toe box for me, as do Hoka's.

Last edited:
I too love my Altras and I have bought them twice while walking in France from the running shoe store, I-run. Very good range. Physical stores across France too. I order online with delivery "livraison colissimo" (2 days). Excellent service. I just arrange with my gite/chambre d'hote host to receive them or let the hotel I will staying at know they are coming.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's a good solution to your puzzle, I've used it with pilgrims in transit several times. On a day when you know for sure where you'll be the following day, go to deportvillage.com and buy the shoes you want, and have them shipped to your next-day destination.
Their selection is very good and their prices very competitive. (You will need a credit card that works in Euros, however!) Best thing is, Deportvillage has reliable overnight shipping, and your shoes will be at your destination when you get there. (Be sure to let your destination know what's going on!)
Good idea. Another option could be to order from Amazon and have them delivered to a parcel locker, which you can find in larger towns.

That's the problem. The shoes that work for me are no longer made. So back when, I bought 8 pairs of Altra Timp 1.5's. I wish Altra Olympus worked for me. I believe those ARE sold in sports stores in Spain. Brooks shoes have WAY too narrow of a toe for me, as do Hoka's.
Whatever you do, I would ignore the suggestions to have a friend ship them from out of the EU to yourself. They might get tied up in customs. You just never know.

And to other posters, if you did not read the OP's post carefully, he already has the shoes, and it's a style that is not made anymore. So he's not going to get them shipped from a supplier.

Last edited:
If only! My feet are very fussy and have specific requirements. I am thrilled to have found a pair of shoes that seems to meet them. Otherwise I would have to stop my Caminos. Then I wouldn't have the re-supply problem. 😆
You got it and keep on truckin' with those shoes and fussy feet!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, I know someone could mail shoes to me from America for like $40 bucks in postage, ugghh.
Whatever you do, I would ignore the suggestions to have a friend ship them from out of the EU to yourself. They might get tied up in customs. You just never know.
Thank you, @Stephan the Painter, for raising this. It is a real risk that the parcel will end up in a customs warehouse. @ivar is quite clear on this when advising members not to post things to his baggage store from outside the EU. The reason is that your personal items are only customs duty exempt when you bring them with you as baggage. Posting them exposes them to import duties.

For the OP, one solution would be to bring your shoes with you and post them before you start walking.

one solution would be to bring your shoes with you and post them before you start walking.
I am the OP.
Yeah, I answered this before, but now I can't see my answer. Since post offices will only hold boxes for 2 weeks...and it will take a month to get to San Jean...I think there are about 2 ways to do it.

1. When I get to Le Puy, I could look at where I might get to in 2 weeks and mail my shoes there (and hope I can get there before they 'Return to Sender' on 15th day). Then mail them AGAIN, this time to San Jean.
2. OR, use my 2nd pair of hiking shoes as "town" shoes until my 1st pair of hiking shoes wear out. That would probably be like Pamplona. THEN, use the old worn out hiking shoes as "town" shoes, and start to wear the other pair until the end. But that would mean carrying TWO pairs of hiking shoes like a 1000 miles. I guess I could throw my 1st pair in the trash at Pamplona and buy some shower slippers, but...I guess the old pair would be insurance if my other shoes fell apart for some reason. At least I'd have an old pair to get to La Finisterra. No easy answer.

Of all the backpacking equipment...backpacks, tents, pads, poles, rain gear, clothes and shoes...SHOES are THE MOST IMPORTANT. I can always tinker with the other equipment to make it work, but shoes either work, or they tear your feet up. It's no big deal if you're on a weekend hike. But when you're walking 20 miles a day for a couple months.....little problems tend to become BIG PROBLEMS.

So, I guess I'm talking myself into just carrying 2 pairs of hiking shoes for 2 months. Also, in Albergues, I can imagine someone telling me to "take my "hiking" shoes off" (when they ARE off). Then, I'll have to carry ANOTHER pair of shoes just to make people in the Albergues not hassle me. LOL!

Last edited:
@Drifter , The only way it sounds to me like it's going to work easily is the suggestion that was made early on in this post by several people. Ship your shoes from within France to SJDPP:
I'd personally likely also make a reservation and ask nicely if they would hold my stuff there. But it might be worth a try to ask at Express Bouricot if they would also do this (for a fee).
Yeah, I answered this before, but now I can't see my answer.

And I agree with you, what you outlined in the previous post sounds way too complicated to me.... Good luck.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a scam advisory for deporvillage.

That's the problem. The shoes that work for me are no longer made. So back when, I bought 8 pairs of Altra Timp 1.5's. I wish Altra Olympus worked for me. I believe those ARE sold in sports stores in Spain. Brooks shoes have WAY too narrow of a toe box for me, as do Hoka's.
I buy Hoka speed goat in wide to accommodate my foot and socks which spread while walking. I am not sure if that size 10.5 wide, women's will be easily available in Spain. It's not always available here in the US. I have thought of bringing a second pair also and wasn'tsure what to do about it. Thanks for this post😊

I am also starting in Le Puy in April. I expect all kinds of different weather on the Camino and that is why I am taking 2 pairs of shoes. Waterproof ones and Hokas with the very thick sole. I don't think it's a good idea to hike at that time of year without waterproof hiking shoes/boots.

The extra weight is just something that I'll have to deal with. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hoka's have a wide hiking shoe. I know, as I have a wide foot and bought a pair. I also like the Columbia waterproof hiking boots. low cut in wide version. They are very inexpensive and feel better for me than shoes that are 2-3 times as expensive.

I've been a customer for a long time, and I've not been scammed yet.
This web address will work: https://www.deporvillage.net/. It opens up in English. Neither the .com nor the .net site raise any flags when I open them.

scam advisory for deporvillage.
I checked Scamadviser. Both deporvillage sites (.com and .net) came up with a high trust rating. Is there any information from another scam monitoring site we need to know about?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is not hard....just buy a pair of shoes locally when you need them.

I AM the OP.
As I said, the shoes that work the best for me (Timps 1.5) are no longer made.
I go over the details in my video: Shoes, Shoes, Shoes

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don’t know the shoes but I have walked two Caminos with the same shoes. I generally carry walking sandals for town times& showers . But I can’t understand expensive walking shoe going bad on one 800 k trek

I am the OP.
Well, (giggling), they're NOT new shoes. As I said, they don't make them anymore.
I bought 8 pair of USED shoes from Ebay, in varying degrees of wear. None were "brand new".
AND I'm walking from Le Puy to Finisterre (so a 1000 miles).
About the best you can get out of most ALL trail runners is about 500 miles (starting from brand new).
As I said before, it's looking like the easiest way is just to carry both pair of shoes a 1000 miles.

But I can’t understand expensive walking shoe going bad on one 800 k trek
Most likely, many cheaper shoes would last longer. Mine are expensive shoes that are designed to provide the cushioning and shape that my decrepit old feet need. They cannot be durable at the same time as they provide the cushioning. Wooden clogs would last a lot longer, but I couldn't walk the Camino in them. I am happy to have found shoes that allow me, at my age, with my feet, to do long distance walks, even though the special cushioning in my shoes does not last more than 500 km.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Most likely, many cheaper shoes would last longer.
I am the OP.
I'm 69 years old. (oddly enough, my feet are also 69 years old).
You can have equipment that is HEAVY and DURABLE, but is STILL cheap.
You can have equipment that is LIGHT, but NOT durable, but is STILL cheap.
To have equipment that is BOTH LIGHT and DURABLE........is an TOUGH proposition.

I am the OP.
Well, (giggling), they're NOT new shoes. As I said, they don't make them anymore.
I bought 8 pair of USED shoes from Ebay, in varying degrees of wear. None were "brand new".
AND I'm walking from Le Puy to Finisterre (so a 1000 miles).
About the best you can get out of most ALL trail runners is about 500 miles (starting from brand new).
As I said before, it's looking like the easiest way is just to carry both pair of shoes a 1000 miles.
OP, I suspect that you're right. I have a similar problem. I need US size 14 shoes with a very wide toe box. They're hard to find in the US. I "sampled" a couple of Decathlon stores by email and they don't have anything in stock that meets my needs. So, I'll be carrying two pairs of shoes from SJPP to Fisterra.

OP, I suspect that you're right. I have a similar problem. I need US size 14 shoes with a very wide toe box. They're hard to find in the US. I "sampled" a couple of Decathlon stores by email and they don't have anything in stock that meets my needs. So, I'll be carrying two pairs of shoes from SJPP to Fisterra.
Yeah, I would guess it would be near impossible to find a 14 in Xtra Wide ANYWHERE in Spain. That would have to come right from the manufacturer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When you get to Pamplona you could mail the shoes to yourself and have them held at a post office ahead on the route such as León using Paq Peregrino from Correos.

About 500 years ago, a filthy, penniless teenaged French pilgrim arrived in Leon on his journey back home from Santiago de Compostela. He met a wonderful, kind woman there who changed his life.
She gave him a pair of shoes.
His original shoes had worn-out and fallen to pieces on the trip over. He had walked barefoot the rest of the way, and halfway back again.
He remembered her kindness for the rest of his life.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.