• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Searching for a walking quote

Burton Axxe

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023
I recently read a quote by some historically notable person about the benefits of walking along the lines of: 'There is no problem that can't be made better by walking', or something to that effect. Can anyone provide me with the actual quote and writer? Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A variation was used in the title of a nice article shared on the forum several months ago: "Whatever the Problem, It's Probably Solved by Walking," by Andrew McCarthy. It included several historic quotations on walking but not this phrase in particular, so I am also curious about the answer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Perhaps something from John Muir? (American Naturalist, Writer, Founder of the Sierra Club 1838 -1914)

Quotes https://www.thewanderlustwithin.com/best-john-muir-quotes/

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."

“Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action.”

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I recently read a quote by some historically notable person about the benefits of walking along the lines of: 'There is no problem that can't be made better by walking', or something to that effect. Can anyone provide me with the actual quote and writer? Thanks in advance.
It's not the miles you walk on the Camino, that is important it is what you learn from the Camino .......me

This quote from Bill Bryson in "A walk in the woods" says it all...

“Distance changes utterly when you take the world by foot…Life takes on a neat simplicity too. Time ceases to have any meaning…All that is required of you is a willingness to trudge…you exist in a kind of mobile zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with a string, but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing.”

I recently read a quote by some historically notable person about the benefits of walking along the lines of: 'There is no problem that can't be made better by walking'
The following is a link to a wide-ranging article with observations---from Diogenes to Jefferson to Thoreau to Hemingway and Nietzsche, from physicality to spirituality, and from music to psychology to science and spaces in between---about the benefits of walking. Perhaps the quotation you are seeking is walking around therein.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"I like long walks, it makes my feet happy." Lucky, Animal Crossing New Horizons

Not the most profound quote in the mix, but I chuckle every time Lucky says that while I am playing.

"Caminante, no hay camino. Se hace el camino al andar."
(Traveler, there is no road, you create the road as you walk.) I love this one. I'm sorry, I don't know the source. I also like this one from one of the Nadine Walks videos on Youtube: "The camino begins when the walking ends. The camino never ends."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Caminante, no hay camino. Se hace el camino al andar."
(Traveler, there is no road, you create the road as you walk.) I love this one. I'm sorry, I don't know the source. I also like this one from one of the Nadine Walks videos on Youtube: "The camino begins when the walking ends. The camino never ends."
Great one from poem by Antonio Machado. Spanish pilgrims have shared this poem with me several times. I think it’s an original favorite here on the Camino.

This, from Ralph Waldo Emerson, is one of my favourites. Though it generally may not apply to those on this forum. 😎

'Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much.'

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wonder if Charles M Schulz’s quote - ‘No problem is so formidable that you can’t walk away from it’, has been reworded.

Not the quote the OP is seeking, but for me this one is full of meaning:

“For whatsoever from one place doth fall,
Is with the tide unto an other brought:
For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.”

― Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Going off at a slight tangent, walking has also crept over into management speak. The two that I recall were from Toyota and Hewlett Packard.

Under the Toyota Production System there is the concept of Genchi Genbutsu (English: Go and see for yourself): The best practice is to go and see the location or process where the problem exists in order to solve that problem more quickly and efficiently.

HP had the MBWA or Management By Walking About. This called for an unstructured walk around and through production areas to check on all aspects of people and processes.

Well, it's nice to stretch your legs and get out from behind the desk!

HP had the MBWA or Management By Walking About. This called for an unstructured walk around and through production areas to check on all aspects of people and processes.
Management by walking around was also a prime tenet of The One Minute Manager for non-manufacturing settings.

This is not the quote sought, but …
“When you come to a fork in the path, take the one that’s not on the map.”

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love all the suggested quotes. Did the OP find what they were looking for?

I have a couple of favorites to share:

"A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us." - John Steinbeck

And: A Philosophy of Walking

None of your knowledge, your reading, your connections will be of any use here: two legs suffice, and big eyes to see with. Walk alone, across mountains or through forests. You are nobody to the hills or the thick boughs heavy with greenery. You are no longer a role, or a status, not even an individual, but a body, a body that feels sharp stones on the paths, the caress of long grass and the freshness of the wind. When you walk, the world has neither present nor future: nothing but the cycle of mornings and evenings. Always the same thing to do all day: walk. But the walker who marvels while walking (the blue of the rocks in a July evening light, the silvery green of olive leaves at noon, the violet morning hills) has no past, no plans, no experience. He has within him the eternal child. While walking I am but a simple gaze.
-Frédéric Gros, A Philosophy of Walking

I love all the suggested quotes. Did the OP find what they were looking for?

I have a couple of favorites to share:

"A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us." - John Steinbeck

And: A Philosophy of Walking

None of your knowledge, your reading, your connections will be of any use here: two legs suffice, and big eyes to see with. Walk alone, across mountains or through forests. You are nobody to the hills or the thick boughs heavy with greenery. You are no longer a role, or a status, not even an individual, but a body, a body that feels sharp stones on the paths, the caress of long grass and the freshness of the wind. When you walk, the world has neither present nor future: nothing but the cycle of mornings and evenings. Always the same thing to do all day: walk. But the walker who marvels while walking (the blue of the rocks in a July evening light, the silvery green of olive leaves at noon, the violet morning hills) has no past, no plans, no experience. He has within him the eternal child. While walking I am but a simple gaze.
-Frédéric Gros, A Philosophy of Walking
I’m the OP and, yes, I mentioned earlier that the Kierkegaard quote (provided by Tassie Kaz) was the one I was searching for. But please do continue to add other impressive quotes.

I’m the OP and, yes, I mentioned earlier that the Kierkegaard quote (provided by Tassie Kaz) was the one I was searching for. But please do continue to add other impressive quotes.
Oh yes I see that now, that is a great quote.
Thanks for opening up this thread I have really enjoyed it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love collecting quotes and short poems that either hit me in the heart or give me pause for thought. Walking the Camino Frances 6 months ago I collected more than a handful.
Rabanal del Camino was one of my favorite villages for many reasons, one being the many beautiful quotes written on flat stones around the pueblo, and there was even a jar full of handwritten poems. I am not sure that this poem came from there, but I share it here and nonetheless:

A Journey
"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back