• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I just "go for it?"

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
My daughter and I had to cancel our planned Camino for September of this year due to her new job. I thought I had it out of my head and that I could wait until the next year. I sadly put my pack away,that I kept at the end of my bed as I slowly gathered my things. I can't stand it! I feel sad and so let down! I just keep thinking about it. I actually go visit my pack and look at my stuff. (I'm weird, I know) I'm just kind of scared to go on my own. My daughter is the one fluent in Spanish. I know a few phrases only. I will turn 60 years young in April, and I want to do something amazing for that special day. I want my grand kids to be able to tell stories about when crazy old Grandma Judy walked across Spain. I want them to be adventurous. I guess I have to be an example. Do I have enough time to just decide to up and go in April, probably around the 10-12th. What do you think? My worst fear is just getting there from Washington State. I can do this, I think

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much....Ralph Waldo Emerson, Country Life, 1858

You CAN do it; go!

Last edited:
Joodle,
absolutely you should do it. Just go. You won't have regrets, but gain so much strength and learn so much about your self. Lots of people walking solo just like you. I did it in 2015 and it was absolutely amazing and returning in Sept. 2016 to pick up where I left off. You don't need to know Spanish as many people can speak English so you wont' be lost. In terms of safety (if that's a concern) I would strongly support my daughters doing the Camino on their own. You won't regret it. The only thing that usually holds us back is ourselves.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My daughter and I had to cancel our planned Camino for September of this year due to her new job. I thought I had it out of my head and that I could wait until the next year. I sadly put my pack away,that I kept at the end of my bed as I slowly gathered my things. I can't stand it! I feel sad and so let down! I just keep thinking about it. I actually go visit my pack and look at my stuff. (I'm weird, I know) I'm just kind of scared to go on my own. My daughter is the one fluent in Spanish. I know a few phrases only. I will turn 60 years young in April, and I want to do something amazing for that special day. I want my grand kids to be able to tell stories about when crazy old Grandma Judy walked across Spain. I want them to be adventurous. I guess I have to be an example. Do I have enough time to just decide to up and go in April, probably around the 10-12th. What do you think? My worst fear is just getting there from Washington State. I can do this, I think

Joodle you can do it. I turn 50 years young on the 20th April which is the day I leave SJ. I wanted to do something memorable for my 50th then a friend told me he was walking the Camino. As soon as I googled it, everything inside me said this is it, this is what you need to do for a few reasons.....now I can say I'm doing something AMAZING and memorable and I can't wait to start. Follow your heart and gut feeling and you will be fine. What an adventure this will be and what a story to tell the grandkids.....go for it girlfriend:)

Absolutely do it! You will be surrounded by lots of helpful pilgrims as well as friendly local people. You will be sleeping safely indoors every night. You really won't be alone much unless you choose to. You have a pack and have gathered your gear. If there is anything you need that you don't have, you can find in in Spain. Just keep it light and you're on your way!

The only thing you'll regret is if you don't go. You may even want to go back again next year with your daughter.

Buen Camino!

Go! By your picture your a bicyclist that would indicate you're in good shape so walking the camino should not be a problem. Finding people to walk with shouldn't be a problem either, it's a Holly year and the camino is going to be busy.

Getting there---For me the easiest way is to fly out of LAX to Madrid, cost $750. I will arrive in Madrid at 0900. From the airport I take public transportation, about 3 euros, to the Atocha train station and catch the 1500 train to Pamplona arriving around 1800, cost $32. In Pamplona I will spend the night at Pension Corazon Puro. They will pick me up at the train station and drop me off in Saint Jean the next morning, cost 45 euros. Friend Craig and I leave on the 11th, arrive on the 12th, spend the 13th in Saint Jean, and start our camino on the 14th.

If you are looking for people to walk with, friend Craig and I are both be on the shady side of 66 and slow walkers. He's single and cleans up real nice and I've been happily married for 40 years. We will depart Saint Jean sometime on the 14th walking as far as Orrison the first day. If the weather is unfavorable we will start from Roscesvalles. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get your plane ticket! Your backpack is speaking to you, "come on, let's go!" I'm a few years older than you, have never done a long hike, and am arriving alone in SJPDP on April 17th. I'm studying Spanish, but am currently at the kindergarten level. I've booked my first 2 nights sleeping, but after that am winging it. If I'm loco enough to do this, so are you...see you on the way!

You can do it! Go![/QUOI
You can do it! Go!
Joodle you can do it. I turn 50 years young on the 20th April which is the day I leave SJ. I wanted to do something memorable for my 50th then a friend told me he was walking the Camino. As soon as I googled it, everything inside me said this is it, this is what you need to do for a few reasons.....now I can say I'm doing something AMAZING and memorable and I can't wait to start. Follow your heart and gut feeling and you will be fine. What an adventure this will be and what a story to tell the grandkids.....go for it girlfriend:)
I turn 60 on April 20th! My Birthdays have been hard these last two years since I lost my identical twin and my Dad. We were born on our Dad's Birthday. I really need to do something special for this Birthday. My husband is concerned about me going alone, but I need to do this without my husband or my daughter protecting me. I'm not a wimp!!

Go! By your picture your a bicyclist that would indicate you're in good shape so walking the camino should not be a problem. Finding people to walk with shouldn't be a problem either, it's a Holly year and the camino is going to be busy.

Getting there---For me the easiest way is to fly out of LAX to Madrid, cost $750. I will arrive in Madrid at 0900. From the airport I take public transportation, about 3 euros, to the Atocha train station and catch the 1500 train to Pamplona arriving around 1800, cost $32. In Pamplona I will spend the night at Pension Corazon Puro. They will pick me up at the train station and drop me off in Saint Jean the next morning, cost 45 euros. Friend Craig and I leave on the 11th, arrive on the 12th, spend the 13th in Saint Jean, and start our camino on the 14th.

If you are looking for people to walk with, friend Craig and I are both be on the shady side of 66 and slow walkers. He's single and cleans up real nice and I've been happily married for 40 years. We will depart Saint Jean sometime on the 14th walking as far as Orrison the first day. If the weather is unfavorable we will start from Roscesvalles. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Thanks. That is right when I thought I might start my journey, I would get in on the 13th and start walking on the 14th. I wonder if I can get a place in Orrison? I planned to be in better shape, when I started in September, but I can glue my bum to my rowing machine seat and get in good shape pretty quickly. It works the arms, chest, abs, legs, fanny all at once. I just may see you guys! I also am very happily married for 38 years. My husband is 6'8 and just wouldn't be comfortable in those bunks. i'm leaving him home. He'll work on his Hot Rod and be a happy guy! :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I turn 60 on April 20th! My Birthdays have been hard these last two years since I lost my identical twin and my Dad. We were born on our Dad's Birthday. I really need to do something special for this Birthday. My husband is concerned about me going alone, but I need to do this without my husband or my daughter protecting me. I'm not a wimp!!

Wow our birthdays on the same day....maybe it's a sign to go:D Sounds like you need to do this as much as I need to. Only you can decide what to do & what's right for you and if you think you can do it then do it. If you start and ever feel it's to much or you can't go on then you can always stop and possibly go back another time. Life's to short to put things off and sometimes we all need to do something for ourselves. I'm sure there is going to be plenty of supportive people we will meet along the way and plenty who are doing this for the 1st time like me. Good luck with your decision and I hope I see you on the way :)

I stayed at Orisson last year and it was a great place for a first night. So much fun and you meet so many interesting people. You do need to make a reservation though if you are interested.

Thanks. That is right when I thought I might start my journey, I would get in on the 13th and start walking on the 14th. I wonder if I can get a place in Orrison? I planned to be in better shape, when I started in September, but I can glue my bum to my rowing machine seat and get in good shape pretty quickly. It works the arms, chest, abs, legs, fanny all at once. I just may see you guys! I also am very happily married for 38 years. My husband is 6'8 and just wouldn't be comfortable in those bunks. i'm leaving him home. He'll work on his Hot Rod and be a happy guy! :D
We have decided to wait and see what the weather is going to be like. If the pass is closed or not recommended we start in Roscevalles.

P.S. You ever make it to Hot August Nights.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes! Absolutely do it. That inner voice is no longer whispering, it's screaming. Listen to it, and go. The rest is just details. So you don't speak spanish, so your not in the shape you wanted to be in, maybe the Orrison has room, maybe not. So what to all of that. I can tell you this for certain. All the nerves, all the doubts, all the worries, all the 'extra baggage', all the flights, buses, trains, gear selection, boots vs shoes, all the stuff will fade away in the first 10 steps on the Camino. You are about to have the adventure of a lifetime. Buen Camino

Mike

Everyone can do i..,the only thing that you need is will and that you have as i can see:))) you can do it and you will love it:)))
Buen Camino!!!!!!

We have decided to wait and see what the weather is going to be like. If the pass is closed or not recommended we start in Roscevalles.

P.S. You ever make it to Hot August Nights.
My husband wants to take our son this year. If you see two giant men walking around together, it's probably my husband and son. Dan is 6'8 and our son is 6'11, so you can't miss them. I'm the midget at 5'8

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes! Absolutely do it. That inner voice is no longer whispering, it's screaming. Listen to it, and go. The rest is just details. So you don't speak spanish, so your not in the shape you wanted to be in, maybe the Orrison has room, maybe not. So what to all of that. I can tell you this for certain. All the nerves, all the doubts, all the worries, all the 'extra baggage', all the flights, buses, trains, gear selection, boots vs shoes, all the stuff will fade away in the first 10 steps on the Camino. You are about to have the adventure of a lifetime. Buen Camino

Mike[/QUOTE, like
Thanks Mike. I just want to be standing on the street in SJPP ready to start walking up the big hills. It's the getting there that scares me. I can work until i shake with fatigue, but I'm a chicken at other things.

You absolutely can do it @Joodle !!! I can only echo what others have said: Go!!

I started my Camino about the same time last year (from Roncesvalles), and found it a beautiful time of year to walk - you will see all the Spring flowers come out as you progress along the Camino, the trees coming into leaf, poppies in the fields and blossoms in the orchards! And you'll have the experience of a lifetime. Go and book those flights now! :):)

You've got the Camino bug! If you don't book those tickets you will have so many regrets. So do it!
Get on the Duolingo website and start working on your Spanish. I also recommend the Coffee Break Spanish podcasts as they use the Spanish accent so you get a feel for it as it sounds a bit different to the Latin American Spanish. You can get away with very little Spanish but it is much more fun if you know some.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh I would say go go go :D I am starting my first Camino in early April and a girlfriend is joining me. Sooo excited only 38 days until we fly over. Do it for yourself, you will meet travel companions I am sure. Plus lookup CAMIGAS A buddy system for women on Facebook. Buen Camino
Good luck whenever you go.

Go for it joodle.

At age 66, I walked my first Camino in 2014. It was so amazing I went back last year and did it all again. I will be back for the third time in May/June and intend to do the same every year for as long as I can.

Buen Camino,

Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi Joodle:)

I'm 65 and I start my Camino May, 22. Ticket is in my pocket and only death can prevent me. So, when I start, you'll finish. I have you on my mind.

Bota :)

@Joodle ---You are going, sweetie. If this old teacher from Oregon can go all alone, with plenty of loving naysayers back home to anti-cheer me on with all the what-ifs (thanks, guys. really.), anyone can.

Just listen to your body all the way!

Booking the trip is the hardest. As soon as you purchase your ticket (RT from Seattle), you will have a sudden attack of, "what have I done!", but then comes the joy.

You will have a really wonderful time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Joodle, there may be good reason that it came to this. You may derive much more from the experience doing it on your own. There will be many opportunities to join others if you wish. I celebrated my 80th in Santiago this past Nov walking alone, and while the treasured friends I made along the way brought much joy to my journey, I cherished the quiet time. You absolutely can do it. Wish you Buen Camino.

Go Grandma Judy GO !!! You've got all it takes for a GREAT Camino !! You've arrived !!! Let your heart sing, your legs fly, your spirits soar and may you find that "something special" that you're destiny has designed for you. Buen Camino:) Caesar

I meant to add...if you start from StJPdP, you will find many options for your first night on this forum. I had a wonderful experience at Beilari, meeting 23 others at the evening Pilgrim dinner. I would suggest you make reservations both for St. Jean and the Albergue in Orisson. You can pick up a copy of listed Albergues from the Pilgrim Office in St Jean.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes I agree with EVERYone! Do it @Joodle !
I once asked a physician (I am a physician myself) would a problem I had in my neck get better by itself. 'Oh yes,' he said, and after a pause, 'when you get younger!' That never happened, (although the pain did go!) It won't happen to any of us.
Do it now. You surely will not regret it. You absolutely do have enough time to organise between now and mid-April. Read the boards here. They are terrific. I find there comes a point each time when you realise you know vastly more than you need, although it is still fun to read, and you just need to GO.

Hi Joodle,
I learned the hard way that you can regret the things in life that you do not do, much more than you may regret the things you actually do. Do not sit at home wondering. Do it while you can, be open to the experience and simply enjoy. And yeah I turned 60 in December last and I have no intention of not using my remaining years to the best possible effect. I will walk as often as I can for as long as I can :). Go Joodle Go!!!
Aidan

Joodle, there may be good reason that it came to this. You may derive much more from the experience doing it on your own. There will be many opportunities to join others if you wish. I celebrated my 80th in Santiago this past Nov walking alone, and while the treasured friends I made along the way brought much joy to my journey, I cherished the quiet time. You absolutely can do it. Wish you Buen Camino.
This is a good time for me to go. I just retired from nursing and I have been feeling a little lost, I need a grand adventure to help me think and put things in order in my life, to prepare for the next chapter. I will be looking for tickets today. Thanks for the encouragement!

[
This is a good time for me to go. I just retired from nursing and I have been feeling a little lost, I need a grand adventure to help me think and put things in order in my life, to prepare for the next chapter. I will be looking for tickets today. Thanks for the encouragement!
My husband wants to take our son this year. If you see two giant men walking around together, it's probably my husband and son. Dan is 6'8 and our son is 6'11, so you can't miss them. I'm the midget at 5'8
Joodle,enjoy your trip. Before you leave, buy a book from Amazon called 'The Best Way' by Bill Walker. He is a 6'11'' American(honest!) and it's a great read even for a 5'7'' Englander like myself.
He and your son will really know what to expect-straight from the horse's mouth.
Good luck,Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Joodle, you absolutely need to go for it. Once you get over the booking and travel jitters and on your way you will do just great. Did the Frances in Sept./Oct. 14 at age 64 and loved every minute of it. I met so many wonderful people, ended up with a my "Camino Family" for the last eleven days and think about the Camino every day and can hardly wait to go again. (unfortunately will have to wait for May/2017 when I will be almostt 66!) I was constantly amazed at how my body responded to the challenge and I would consider myself just average fit-wise. It it does turn out you go on your own, you will be just fine.

You did not say where in Washington State that you live, but if you wished to wait a little longer, there is an Air Transat flight out of Vancouver to Paris on May 5, with a return on June 17th for $783 Canadian- all in.. With the exchange of the Cdn./American dollar, you will get it for a heck of a deal. The thing I like about Air Transat is that it is a direct flight and you pretty well know that your bag won't get lost.

I read a quote once that said something like this"Sometimes you have to do what is best for you, instead of what is best for everyone else."

Buen Camino,
Linda

Definitely do it! I'm turning 59 on April 30 and heading out on my own May 4. Hope to see you there!

Joodle;

Go for it. The retirement homes are full of old people who sit and regret all the things they didn't dare to do in life. Do not become one of them. Actually, I suspect the decision has already been taken? :)

At the age of 62, I will start on my sixth Camino in April/May. If I can do it, you can. I have been smoking for + 40 years, not well trained, but not overweight. ;) By the end of each of my Caminos I have gotten legs and thighs of "steel".

The hardest thing may be the actual booking of your flight. That is your point of no return. After that moment, you know it's for real. Then, learn up on the forum and plan your pack. Buy a cheap but good guide (I use it myself) and read up: http://www.csj.org.uk/product/camino-frances/

Plan your days, but only loosely : http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances Consider paying a small donation to them if you find it useful to you. Be open to change of plans, other stops, etc. Be adventurous.

The Camino is a perfect place to reflect upon your new status as a retiree. It did me much good.
It is also a place where you can get a feeling of what the people that are closest to you really mean to you, in a much deeper sense than home together. It may very well benefit them greatly as well.

Judging by your former posts, you are both younger and more fit than many on the Camino. Start with a couple shorter days, and play by the ear (foot).

If possible, do not order a return ticket home before you absolutely must. It can be done on the Camino whenever it suits you. Also, if you change plans/the Camino was not what you expected, it is to your advantage. The freedom of no limits is priceless...

Buen Camino (and planning)!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What more is there to say?!! The great advice already given says it all and gives me goosebumps-- makes me want to head off. I have read your posts before re your sister so do it for her! As regards the grandkids, 2 of ours both aged 5 know all about the Camino and keep saying " how long nana before we can do the Camino with you"? I have promised them(if I am alive of course!) that we will walk it when they are 10. We will both be72 then, so fingers crossed!! You might even return to walk it with your grandkids. It's addictive. But you already know that don't you!!! All the best Annette

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You definately CAN do it.

But if you are confident she and you can do it together next year, then wouldn't that be more rewarding? But if you are worried it'll keep getting pushed off further and further......then I'd say "just do it"

Joodle,

Go for it. The retirement homes are full of people who sit and regret all the things they didn't dare to do in life. Do not become one of them. Actually, I suspect the decision has already been taken? :)

At the age of 62, I will start on my sixth Camino in April/May. If I can do it, you can. I have been smoking for + 40 years, not well thrained, but not overweight. ;) By the end of each of my Caminos I have gotten legs and thighs of "steel".

The hardest thing may be the actual booking of your flight. That is your point of no return. After that moment, you know it's for real. Then, learn up on the forum and plan your pack. Buy a cheap but good guide (I use it myself) and read up: http://www.csj.org.uk/product/camino-frances/

Plan your days, but only loosely : http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances Consider paying a small donation to them if you find it useful to you. Be open to change of plans, other stops, etc. Be adventurous.

The Camino is a perfect place to reflect upon your new status as a retiree. It did me much good.

Judging by your former posts, you are both younger and more fit than many on the Camino. Start with a couple shorter days, and play by the ear (foot).

If possible, do not order a return ticket home before you absolutely must. It can be done on the Camino whenever it suits you. Also, if you change plans/the Camino was not what you expected, it is to your advantage. The freedom of no limits is priceless...

Buen Camino (and planning)![/QU

The Camino's calling .......go.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, my son is a retired Capt. of one of the Fire Dept stations in So. California. Many of their calls came from Seniors' Homes. His observations were that so many had let their age dictate their way of life, at the same time, respecting and empathizing with those who indeed were in need of care.

A couple of people mentioned booking and paying for the tickets is the scary part, I agree I totally freaked out. I made a similar post to yours and had these lovely positive posts of encouragement. Now with 37 days to go until I fly over I am totally BURSTING with excitement :D:p:):D I have had my gear packed and re packed played with then packed again :rolleyes: anticipation is half the fun. So excited and so glad I am doing this for myself. :D enjoy the process.

I was sixty last year and I dithered about whether it was sensible to do it on my own and whether I could abandon my husband for that long and my mum in law who is getting frailer - but just decided it was something I didn't want to regret not having done. Like you, my bag is already packed. Go for it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes! I am, and so did everyone of the thousands who have done it! I fly from Dublin 12th April and start on 13th at SJPdP. Tomorrow I'm going to Dublin to buy my Credencial and my first stamp!
Buen Camino, see you along the Way

Go for it. I turned 60 years young last year and this is my first camino starting on April 15. I am doing it with my sister and I am sure there will be many others like us that will help you not feel so alone. You can do it.

You're in Washington State. If you're in the Seattle area come on our monthly 6-mile walk. It's a great way to get advice about walking the Camino. Search for the Puget Sound Chapter of the American Pilgrims of the Camino and get details on their web site, they also have a monthly coffee get-together.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I went in 2012 to celebrate being 60 and plan on going this year to celebrate 64 LOL. I would listen to your heart, not the mind, and follow your instincts. Getting there is just one step at a time and making a bit of a plan ahead of time. Once you are on the trail, all your anxiety will for long forgotten.

I am with everyone else. Just go. You want to go. Your inner voice is telling you to go. You must go. We only live this life once. Live your life without regrets.
I did my first Camino at 66 and I traveled all the way from California.
Take something on the flight that will keep you busy or entertained.
At the end of your Camino you will have stories to tell and beautiful people you met. Don't overthink this.
You may want to go to Amazon and buy a book called "
Grandma's on the Camino: Reflections on a 48-Day Pilgrimage Walk to Santiago Paperback edition"
by Mary O'Hara Wyman (Author)
Fun reading book, about a Bay Area women that walked the Camino by herself.
Wishing you a great Camino. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You're in Washington State. If you're in the Seattle area come on our monthly 6-mile walk. It's a great way to get advice about walking the Camino. Search for the Puget Sound Chapter of the American Pilgrims of the Camino and get details on their web site, they also have a monthly coffee get-together.
Thanks. I'll check into that.

I just "went for it!!" I booked my flight into Biarritz for May 10th. I wanted to go to celebrate my 60th Birthday in April, but that just wasn't going to work. I just told my husband that I wasn't going to go until next year, but I couldn't stand it. I'm doing the work! I'm baby stepping!! My husband is going to be a bit surprised. He is very supportive and knows that this is vital to my soul!

I just "went for it!!" I booked my flight into Biarritz for May 10th. I wanted to go to celebrate my 60th Birthday in April, but that just wasn't going to work. I just told my husband that I wasn't going to go until next year, but I couldn't stand it. I will be flying into Biarritz, France on May 11th and plan to start out from SJPP on May 12th I saw my MD today and found that the pain in my right foot is tendonitis, not a stress fracture. That would have required a boot cast and no Camino. The Doctor wanted me to wait until May to allow it to heal and not wreck my Camino. I'm doing the work! I'm baby stepping!! My husband is going to be a bit surprised, But he is very supportive and knows that this is vital to my soul!

Who's going in around May 12th? I can't remember where to find the calendars and get on the right one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just "went for it!!" I booked my flight into Biarritz for May 10th. I wanted to go to celebrate my 60th Birthday in April, but that just wasn't going to work. I just told my husband that I wasn't going to go until next year, but I couldn't stand it. I'm doing the work! I'm baby stepping!! My husband is going to be a bit surprised. He is very supportive and knows that this is vital to my soul!
You go girl!! Congratulations, you definitely will not regret it. Buen Camino.

I just "went for it!!" I booked my flight into Biarritz for May 10th.
He, He. You have now taken your first step, and you can now call yourself a pilgrim. Because you are: You have started. Now, plan your details: Great fun. I am happy for you. You have been brave, but right.

You have overcome the worst part: The Decision. From now on, it is all about doing. And remember, Walking the Camino is not a sports event; it is a walk: Every day, but still just a walk. And you decide daily lenght, according to your abilities. You will have great days. Actually, at some point, you will be thinking how easy it really is, when you're in the middle of it. Also remember, you will meet others, and you will learn and receive help from total strangers (like us in this forum) that will help you on your way. I will not meet you, as I think I start around May 1 in Pamplona. But you are going to team up with lovely people anyway: The Camino seems to attract them, and you will meet some, I am sure.

Be open, be kind, and kindness will come your way. It is life.

Buen Camino!

He, He. You have now taken your first step, and you can now call yourself a pilgrim. Because you are: You have started. Now, plan your details: Great fun. I am happy for you. You have been brave, but right.

You have overcome the worst part: The Decision. From now on, it is all about doing. And remember, Walking the Camino is not a sports event; it is a walk: Every day, but still just a walk. And you decide daily lenght, according to your abilities. You will have great days. Actually, at some point, you will be thinking how easy it really is, when you're in the middle of it. Also remember, you will meet others, and you will learn and receive help from total strangers (like us in this forum) that will help you on your way. I will not meet you, as I think I start around May 1 in Pamplona. But you are going to team up with lovely people anyway: The Camino seems to battract them, and you will meet some, I am sure.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for your encouragement. I am sooo excited. I have noticed that this forum connects a lot of kind people. I got my husband laughing so hard the other day when I told him that I was pleased to see how nice of a person I turned out to be. He thought that was so funny. I was a bit self centered as a teenager, but raise 4 kids and you learn to put others first. This is for me! I deserve it! I have been a good mom and wife!! This is ME TIME!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your encouragement. I am sooo excited. I have noticed that this forum connects a lot of kind people. I got my husband laughing so hard the other day when I told him that I was pleased to see how nice of a person I turned out to be. He thought that was so funny. I was a bit self centered as a teenager, but raise 4 kids and you learn to put others first. This is for me! I deserve it! I have been a good mom and wife!! This is ME TIME!!
And you will meet many like minded women feeling just as you do……wonderful.

I was a bit self centered as a teenager, but raise 4 kids and you learn to put others first. This is for me! I deserve it! I have been a good mom and wife!! This is ME TIME!!
Woman with an attitude. Highly appreciated, and very well deserved. You truly deserve it. You are in for an experience of a lifetime, as many in here will testify to. The only danger is that you will get addicted, as many of us poor souls in here have been...

Right, cut the crap: Start some preparation: The forum contains all information you need. Search, and ask in new posts if you vcannot find answers to your needs.

Go girl.

Woman with an attitude. Highly appreciated, and very well deserved. You are in for an experience of a lifetime, as many in here will testify to. The only danger is that you will get addicted, as many of us poor souls in here have been...

Right, cut the crap: Start some preparation: The forum contains all information you need. Search, and ask in new posts if you vcannot find answers to your needs.

Go girl.
I'm going!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You sure are. I think you have guts. One day, you will realize what a gift you have given to yourself (and the rest of your family). After your Camino, you will understand much more of what I am saying now.

Buen Camino!

Joodle, With all of the positive comments encouraging you to go I think you can see what type of folks you will be with on the Camino. I am blown away by all of the positive energy! Actually had a few tears of joy in reading some of the posts. I am going in April 2017. I will be 66 and have two new knees that I want to put to the test next year. In my youth I spent weeks in the High Sierras of California on the John Muir Trail. I want to recapture some of the exhilaration I experienced then. I know I can do the CDS and so I am sure you can. Get going and let us all know how it goes. Buen Camino, Bill (in California)

I'm going!!

Good. As @alexwalker says, start the preparation.

A key part, in my experience, is increasing the length of the training walks at a rate that you are comfortable with. But at least towards your departure date, aim for trip lengths of about the distance you expect to do on Camino. I suggest you include hill work, working up to ascending, say, 700 metres of elevation before lunch several times before you leave. Take your pack fully laden each time. And to remember the Camino itself will provide training opportunities. Many on the forum suggest starting your Camino slow and build up your distance and speed as you feel comfortable. Again, as many say, me included, this is not a race: take time to enjoy yourself and the places you pass through.

Ultreia (keep striving)
Kia kaha (be strong/brave)
Buen camino (travel well)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Camino you are not alone when you are alone. People that you have walked with and have passed you(or visa versa) start looking for you to arrive at the next town, albergue, or water stop.
They are people from all over the world and will open up to you. Remember that even if other pilgrims are alone or with family members, they are sharing the same wonderful experience as you.
It has been my experience that pilgrims that are traveling on the Camino are some of the most friendliest people, and they are also the most helpful people. Also remember that there are others on the Camino that are traveling alone and will want someone to walk with. I am so happy that you have decided to go.
I almost forgot. Use email to keep in touch with people at home so they know you are ok, if you can.
Buen Camino.

I'm going!!

YES!!! I was scrolling through seeing all the wonderful "Just GO!" comments and was going to add my own, and then I saw your response. You will absolutely not regret this, I am so happy that you have chosen to go forward with your original plan. I am sure a trip with your daughter would have been amazing- and I think the only thing that could make your journey more amazing is doing it solo!

Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in the same boat at you are. I am turning 60 in June 2016 and wanted to walk end Aug/early September of this year with my sister but she is no longer able to come with me. I know exactly what you mean about your pack and stuff. I keep looking at mine to see if I have everything I need but I am also a little nervous to do this on my own. I trekked to Machu Picchu last summer so I know that I can do this. I am from Ottawa Canada and would love to walk with you if you are interested. Anna

You have overcome the worst part: The Decision. From now on, it is all about doing. And remember, Walking the Camino is not a sports event; it is a walk: Every day, but still just a walk. And you decide daily lenght, according to your abilities. You will have great days. Actually, at some point, you will be thinking how easy it really is, when you're in the middle of it. Also remember, you will meet others, and you will learn and receive help from total strangers (like us in this forum) that will help you on your way. I will not meet you, as I think I start around May 1 in Pamplona. But you are going to team up with lovely people anyway: The Camino seems to attract them, and you will meet some, I am sure.

Be open, be kind, and kindness will come your way. It is life.

Buen Camino!
excellent and good advice from alexwalker , this walk brings out the very best in people i doubt if you you walk with an open mind and smile that you will be alone for long,,delighted you have booked you will love it an your family will all want to go next year when they hear all your fab tales..

I am in the same boat at you are. I am turning 60 in June 2016 and wanted to walk end Aug/early September of this year with my sister but she is no longer able to come with me. I know exactly what you mean about your pack and stuff. I keep looking at mine to see if I have everything I need but I am also a little nervous to do this on my own. I trekked to Machu Picchu last summer so I know that I can do this. I am from Ottawa Canada and would love to walk with you if you are interested. Anna
I am very interested. I already have my flight booked. I leave Seattle on May 10th and will land in Biarritz on the 11th at 7:15 pm. I will then take the train/bus to St Jean Pied de Port or SJPP I plan on staying there and starting out on the 12th. I have 6 weeks and fly out of Madrid on June 21st. I did a "multi city" search on "Just Fly" I will be flying on British Airways. My Flight goes from Seattle to London with 4 hour layover and then on to Biarritz.

I am very interested. I already have my flight booked. I leave Seattle on May 10th and will land in Biarritz on the 11th at 7:15 pm. I will then take the train/bus to St Jean Pied de Port or SJPP I plan on staying there and starting out on the 12th. I have 6 weeks and fly out of Madrid on June 21st. I did a "multi city" search on "Just Fly" I will be flying on British Airways. My Flight goes from Seattle to London with 4 hour layover and then on to Biarritz.
So so pleased for you. Please keep in touch as you walk along your way and let us know how you are doing. You will be fine. Not long now!

I'm doing it in May/June on my own, I cannot find anyone crazy enough to join me, I'm also nearly 60 and know no Spanish at all.
From what I read you're never alone on the Camino, "just do it"

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm doing it in May/June on my own, I cannot find anyone crazy enough to join me, I'm also nearly 60 and know no Spanish at all.
From what I read you're never alone on the Camino, "just do it"
I too am going in May/June this year. April was a little bit too soon for me to make sure my foot was OK. I will be starting out from SJPP on May 12th. See you on the trail and Buen Camino.

What a lot of great encouragement! I went on my own last spring and found my way just fine. Made some great friends , had some great adventures, walked a lot of steps and would go again in a minute. Wishing you an experienceof a lifetime, and more. I will definitely be going on a Camino again in the near future but I have a few other adventures to get to first!

Joodle,

Yes you can get a place in Orisson, book ahead and email them for confirmation – they will respond even if it takes a couple of attempts to get a response from them – lovely place to stay.

Are you a seasoned hiker? I found the high road from Orisson to Roncesvalles one of the most difficult legs of the trip – although I would not change having done it.

Before the camino – the longest hike I ever did was 10K. On the camino we averaged 25-30K/day.

DO NOT WEAR WATERPROOF SHOES. Change your socks at lunch time every day. You’d be surprised how much the pilgrims around you can help with your Spanish. I knew some, but in the camino family we ended up with there were 3 or 4 that were fluent in Spanish.

My girlfriend and I started our Camino on May 22, 2014. We walked into Santiago on Canada Day, July 1st, which was fitting as we are Canadians.

If you need any advice while you are there, I was the OCD planner of the group – feel free to email me

desdeines@hotmail.com

Hey Joodle! Here's the information for the meet-up in Seattle TOMORROW - Friday 2/26 from 9.30 - 11.00
"We are meeting at Burger Master Restaurant near University Village in Seattle, WA. Past and future pilgrims are invited to join us for stimulating conversation and a beverage. It's a great chance for newbies to ask questions of experienced pilgrims and for the experienced pilgrims to get some great ideas for their next walk.
"The address is 3040 NE 45th St., Seattle, WA 98105. Note that it is not within University Village. Rather, it is located near the Safeway Store located on NE 45th St. We shall be there from 9:30am - 11:00am."

Please join us!! I've spent my last 3 birthdays on the Camino -- #69, 70, & 71! You'll do fine!!
Buen Camino!!
Terry

Hey Joodle! Here's the information for the meet-up in Seattle TOMORROW - Friday 2/26 from 9.30 - 11.00
"We are meeting at Burger Master Restaurant near University Village in Seattle, WA. Past and future pilgrims are invited to join us for stimulating conversation and a beverage. It's a great chance for newbies to ask questions of experienced pilgrims and for the experienced pilgrims to get some great ideas for their next walk.
"The address is 3040 NE 45th St., Seattle, WA 98105. Note that it is not within University Village. Rather, it is located near the Safeway Store located on NE 45th St. We shall be there from 9:30am - 11:00am."

Please join us!! I've spent my last 3 birthdays on the Camino -- #69, 70, & 71! You'll do fine!!
Buen Camino!!
Terry
Thanks Terry, I just might join you.

Joodle,

Yes you can get a place in Orisson, book ahead and email them for confirmation – they will respond even if it takes a couple of attempts to get a response from them – lovely place to stay.

Are you a seasoned hiker? I found the high road from Orisson to Roncesvalles one of the most difficult legs of the trip – although I would not change having done it.

Before the camino – the longest hike I ever did was 10K. On the camino we averaged 25-30K/day.

DO NOT WEAR WATERPROOF SHOES. Change your socks at lunch time every day. You’d be surprised how much the pilgrims around you can help with your Spanish. I knew some, but in the camino family we ended up with there were 3 or 4 that were fluent in Spanish.

My girlfriend and I started our Camino on May 22, 2014. We walked into Santiago on Canada Day, July 1st, which was fitting as we are Canadians.

If you need any advice while you are there, I was the OCD planner of the group – feel free to email me

desdeines@hotmail.com
just interested in one statement,
"don't wear waterproof shoes"
why?

Go! Do it! Last year, when my wife and me arrived to Santo Domingo de la Calzada , we meet two very, very old ladies. Both of them starded solo, and become mates on the way. They said they had started walking short distances daily, something like 10 km, and increasing. That day the older one said next day they will to Belorado because the distance was "only" 25 km . They were brave wise women. They said the worst decision one person can do is no doing things because stupid fears. Go. All of us are waiting for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Grandma Judy (aka @Joodle) go, go, go! And May is just that little bit warmer than April so good decision. I look forward to hearing you have picked up that pack at the end of your bed and headed off. Buen Camino Pelegrina!

Hi Joodle, you absolutely need to go for it. Once you get over the booking and travel jitters and on your way you will do just great. Did the Frances in Sept./Oct. 14 at age 64 and loved every minute of it. I met so many wonderful people, ended up with a my "Camino Family" for the last eleven days and think about the Camino every day and can hardly wait to go again. (unfortunately will have to wait for May/2017 when I will be almostt 66!) I was constantly amazed at how my body responded to the challenge and I would consider myself just average fit-wise. It it does turn out you go on your own, you will be just fine.

You did not say where in Washington State that you live, but if you wished to wait a little longer, there is an Air Transat flight out of Vancouver to Paris on May 5, with a return on June 17th for $783 Canadian- all in.. With the exchange of the Cdn./American dollar, you will get it for a heck of a deal. The thing I like about Air Transat is that it is a direct flight and you pretty well know that your bag won't get lost.

I read a quote once that said something like this"Sometimes you have to do what is best for you, instead of what is best for everyone else."

Buen Camino,
Linda
I love your quote, Linda. I have always done what is best for my parents, children, husband, dogs......It is now time to do what is best for me. To renew my jest for life after being beat down by too many family deaths. I am so happy that I have purchased my tickets already. I will fly Seattle to London and then on to Biarritz. I will return via Madrid. I got a good deal for a multi city trip. My daughter is angry that I won't wait and go with her next April. I just told her that this is my time and I'm going to do it. She can be mad if she wants to.

@Joodle, hi. I'm on the far side of 70. I start in 5 weeks. By myself. I hope you've got your tickets by now.

Ultreia (keep striving)
Kia kaha (be strong/brave)
Buen camino (good travelling)
I do have my tickets. No turning back now. I'm too cheap to waste that kind of money. I leave Seattle on May 10th. Yippity skippity!!

@Joodle, Congratulations pelegrina for taking this decision. You will not regret it. S :)

Hey Joodle
My kids and i leave Vancouver on the 4th of May travelling through Paris. If you want to meet us in St Jean on the 7th we'll help you through your first few days - I'm doing this for my 60th on May 25th!

Go for it, may God protect you along the way. Don t be afraid, we all have that feeling of fear. It is natural

Do it! I walked the Camino Francés this fall at 57. It was an amazing experience. I had been hoping to go with one of my daughters, but that never panned out. I finally decided that if I was going to do it, I would have to go on my own. People were amazed that I went by myself, but what I said was that I was going by myself but I didn't expect to be by myself. That definitely was the case. I had two great Camino families. You won't be alone on the Camino unless you want to be alone.

€60,-
If only eveyone knew just how many are out there walking alone; men and women - and as we all here know, you're not alone for long. The beauty is....it's your choice. As Basho says."The journey is home".

Actually @Joodle she will have a great time by herself too. I walked one year with my daughter and it was great, but she then went back a second time because she wanted to do it along. She enjoyed it immensely.

Hey Joodle
My kids and i leave Vancouver on the 4th of May travelling through Paris. If you want to meet us in St Jean on the 7th we'll help you through your first few days - I'm doing this for my 60th on May 25th!
That would have been great, but I already bought my ticket. I leave Seattle on May 10th. Thanks so much for the kind offer

Get your plane ticket! Your backpack is speaking to you, "come on, let's go!" I'm a few years older than you, have never done a long hike, and am arriving alone in SJPDP on April 17th. I'm studying Spanish, but am currently at the kindergarten level. I've booked my first 2 nights sleeping, but after that am winging it. If I'm loco enough to do this, so are you...see you on the way!
I am apparently loco enough too. I have my ticket for May 10th into Biarritz. I needed a little more time to heal some tendonitis in my foot. April was just a little too soon.

I think you can. I too am approaching that wonderful milestone. I too have similar goals to inspire my children and grandchildren. I am preparing at this time to start my pilgrimage end of April 2016 :) Grasp the nettle and go forth boldly....

I love your quote, Linda. I have always done what is best for my parents, children, husband, dogs......It is now time to do what is best for me. To renew my jest for life after being beat down by too many family deaths. I am so happy that I have purchased my tickets already. I will fly Seattle to London and then on to Biarritz. I will return via Madrid. I got a good deal for a multi city trip. My daughter is angry that I won't wait and go with her next April. I just told her that this is my time and I'm going to do it. She can be mad if she wants to.

Your daughter is angry?? ...... hmmm ... have you heard of custard pies? ......... you only need one! :);)

DO IT!
I went alone and am so thrilled I did

You don't need Spanish to hike the Camino.

I would book Orisson for the first night. It eases the Pyrenees crossing and you can meet lots of people that first night

Although we know you have already caught the bug, it just might spread further and who knows, you might just happen to want to go back and repeat it with your daughter next April!!! Stranger things have happened!!

GO! I believe the Camino cannot be forced on others. The Camino calls you to walk it. What a great birthday present to yourself and homage to your Dad and your brother. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's a special place. I wouldn't worry about being alone, you won't be for long.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back