• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Showers and gear

Tad

My mental picture is that, when it's time to take a shower, you haul your passport/money/phone plus toiletries plus clean clothes along with you since everything else is a common area. Is this accurate?

If so, my thought was to bring along a small nylon bag I have: (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028K2SUA/?tag=casaivar02-20

I thought this would double as a shopping bag if I went to market one day or something. It only weights 1.5 ounces and folds up to a tiny ball.

Is this going to work or is something really waterproof what's needed because showers are small, spray goes everywhere and there's no dry place to set stuff down?

If it differs by route, I'm doing the Camino Portugues.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is best if it is waterproof. As you say, some showers are small and wet!

I leave all my valuables in my day bag which is water resistant and take it everywhere with me. Saves having to keep moving them from one bag to another and means they are never in full sight of people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gee, I guess I've had a whole lot of luck on my '11 Camino. I did it alone and never brought camera, passport, valet or anything of value into bathroom/shower. Nothing was ever stolen (except 20€ headlamp during the night). But - that's not a suggestion on what/how to do it!!!

Reading all these posts about bringing valuable belongings into showers makes me think of finding a buddy that will take care of my stuff for those few wet minutes. And vice versa. Isn't that much easier?

Ultreia!

I am generally with people I know and/or trust to keep an eye on the important stuff.

This said, I must admit after a few attempts of trying ...
to strip down...
while holding on my important "but must not get wet" documents...
and my "clean" and hopefully still dry afternoon clothes...
trying to find a suitable hook/hanger/ledge or whatever...
in a small cramped space designed normally for a very short super thin individual...
to have a shower that sometimes the shower head only reaches my navel...
:(
only then to reserve the process...
first trying to dry myself with one of those quick dry shammy style towels that just clings to you...
that you still feel kinda of wet...
and hopefully find a way to slide into some "clean" clothes...
trying not to slip or fall back into the now wet shower stall...
or worse fall completely out of the stall...
or even worse fall completely out of the shower room especially if it co ed...
:(

In other words it was a such a pain, now the only thing I take into the shower is my soap and towel
:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gee, I guess I've had a whole lot of luck on my '11 Camino. I did it alone and never brought camera, passport, valet or anything of value into bathroom/shower. Nothing was ever stolen (except 20€ headlamp during the night). But - that's not a suggestion on what/how to do it!!!

Reading all these posts about bringing valuable belongings into showers makes me think of finding a buddy that will take care of my stuff for those few wet minutes. And vice versa. Isn't that much easier?

Ultreia!

You were VERY lucky!
I knew a couple of kids on my first Camino that had a newly made "buddy" watch their stuff.
Their Camino ended when they returned from the shower to find the pilgrim gone with the goods - including credit cards and cash.

Two years has made a big difference on the Camino, also, as many posts testify.
There are many more people, and there is much more theft.
The thieves are getting bolder, even coming in at night while pilgrims sleep.

I advise anyone taking valuables take along a half-gallon ziplock bag to carry valuables into the shower.
Or just don't take anything you can't afford to lose.

Whatever you take needs to be waterproof. I took a recyclable shopping bag that I bought from Carrefours while in Paris.

Please be aware with stories about stolen things, One storey only her on this formum does shock people, with a few stories (also from people who only heard about it), the whole camine already seems like one big dangerous thing. There are millions, really millions of other experiences, It is still important to be aware though...
Most of the times I feel save in a place and leave things behind deep inside my bag . If for some reason it doesn't feel right, I take things with me. It is possible to buy special bags for that, I personally also like to keep things simple: any plastic bag you get for free while paying your supermarket will do too and is easy to replace.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My advice would be to take the few minutes required to keep your valuables safely with you. Compare those few minutes with the hours/days you will spend/waste/need to linger while you deal with replacing a missing credit card/ATM card/passport etc.

Even though the odds are that nothing will happen this time, it doesn't seem to me that it is worth the hassle of changing the entire rhythm of your camino when your own actions can make a difference.

P.S. jirit, even though I disagree with your conclusion, I totally agree that you have painted a vivid picture of the challenge! The only thing I would add is that in the midst of the juggling act, I have also been trying to keep the water off of my big toe because I have done such a masterful job with the gauze bandaging.

Some people can make all the most thoughtless choices and never suffer any of the consequences, but it is not their experiences that really matter; what matters is the time it happens to you. What we each try and do is make choices that minimizes the negative consequences. So many of us have never experienced any theft on Camino, but there is a very small minority that have and do experience it. Take those items that would cause a real problem for you into the shower with you and then let your mind be at ease. This is a no brainer decision.

I also like the comment above about listening to that inner voice, it helps. Be prudent and all will be well.

All of my so-called valuables fit into one of those inexpensive passport pouches. They either go round the neck or the waist. I took it in the shower with me. Held my cash (never carried more than 100 euros in cash and a few 100 dollar bills) 1 debit card (I don't have credit cards), passport and prayer card of St. James. I took off the nasty outer layers of clothing and left them on the bed. Walked to the shower in my lightweight nylon skirt (found at charity shop for about .25cents) clean tee shirt and crocs. Brought my towel, tiny, round do it all soap from Lush. The guys could get away with speedo swim trunks or whatever. Very simple.... But I did not carry a phone or any other technology. I'm too lazy and couldn't be bothered. If you are worried about losing it, I suggest you leave it home. Passport and some money excepted of course.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Ultreia!
Easier, sure, but how could you possible know that your new buddy is trustworthy? I suggest take your stuff with you into the shower.

Please be aware with stories about stolen things, One storey only her on this formum does shock people, with a few stories (also from people who only heard about it), the whole camine already seems like one big dangerous thing.

When you're the one whose stuff is stolen then only one story matters. Better safe than sorry. After having my hiking poles stolen from one of those communal holders I never left poles or shoes in common areas again, either.

Somehow this migrated into a thread about theft. ;)

Back to the original question, I guess I'll go with a ziplock since it sounds (especially from jirit's post) that the shower is simply too small to assume that water resistant nylon will actually keep things dry.

Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@MendiWalker. Well, of course! I didn't particularly think I needed to discuss the why people did it part.

@obinjatoo I won't subject anyone to me in a Speedo, but maybe some light nylon shorts.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.