Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Significance of burning personal items at Finisterre

D

Deleted member 90306

Hey Pilgrims,

What is the significance of burning personal possessions when reaching the end of the world at Finisterre?

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Hey Pilgrims,

What is the significance of burning personal possessions when reaching the end of the world at Finisterre?
It demonstrates that the person is easily led into accepting modern inventions as 'tradition' and their complete disregard for the environment and the safety and wishes of local people in their willingness to satisfy their own selfish desire for a "spiritual" photo-op.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
@Bradypus Do not mock this ancient tradition, which surely dates from the early 1980s, and is intended to provide a ritual of the completion of the journey to the ends of the earth, and the death of the underclothing and boots which brought one there. Such spiritual cleansing is of great meaning to the post-Franco pilgrim.

D

Deleted member 90306

@Bradypus Do not mock this ancient tradition, which surely dates from the early 1980s, and is intended to provide a ritual of the completion of the journey to the ends of the earth, and the death of the underclothing and boots which brought one there. Such spiritual cleansing is of great meaning to the post-Franco pilgrim.
I appreciate your response. I should have also added, what were the origins/traditions of burning possessions at Finisterre. So this is the answer I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
My underclothing and boots are very likely to be near death and/or possibly ripe with unwanted life at the end of a 900+km Camino. But I can think of less environmentally hazardous ways of marking their demise than cremating them along with a hectare or two of Galician hillside. https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...onte-do-cabo-fisterra/0003_201808C25C2997.htm

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Purification ritual . Starting life afresh/new.

the burning is not acceptable now. For health, fire reasons.

entering the ocean is.
Before you enter the ocean, please, please make sure you do this at a safe beach and NOT at the Cabo, for example. This part of the coast is not known as the Costa del Morte for nothing ...
BC SY

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I've always wondered if medieval pilgrims had burned their clothes, what would they wear as most probably had only one set of clothes - what they were wearing.
They used their newly acquired scallop shells as a substitute for a loincloth - tying it on with strips of dried kelp collected at the full moon on the beach at Muxia - and walked home wearing only that. After walking so many miles to get to Santiago they were road-hardened and didn't need clothes anymore.

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
I thought it was because Galicia was even wetter in past times and dry kindling and wood was unavailable. So one day medieval pilgrim 1 said to pilgrim 2 "Oi Brian, if you was going to get rid of that rag of a cloak I could use it to start a fire". And so a tradition was born.

Hurry Krishna

Indian on the Way
Camino(s) past & future
2009 (from Sarria), 2014 from St Jean Pied de Port, 2016 from Porto, 2018 from Le Puy to Santiago.
Hey Pilgrims,

Hey Pilgrims,

Hey Pilgrims,

without giving away too many details: a 40 something (perfectly nice) guy told me that he burnt the name of his one-time girlfriend, who is now married to another guy, has 2 children and lives in a city on a different continent, My Camino Amigo thought it would help him expunge her from his heart!!1 Go figure.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
without giving away too many details: a 40 something (perfectly nice) guy told me that he burnt the name of his one-time girlfriend, who is now married to another guy, has 2 children and lives in a city on a different continent, My Camino Amigo thought it would help him expunge her from his heart!!1 Go figure.
Whatever works for him but that's a stretch and he really needed to get over it ;)

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)
It demonstrates that the person is easily led into accepting modern inventions as 'tradition' and their complete disregard for the environment and the safety and wishes of local people in their willingness to satisfy their own selfish desire for a "spiritual" photo-op.
Whoo, Bradypus, dial it back a bit.
I agree that it is not good for environment, neither the human nor the ecological, but I understand the need to put a final cap on what was, hopefully, an amazing experience for the walker.
Personally, I couldn't imagine burning my items at the end of my Camino. They had been my closest companions for weeks and weeks and had seen me through too many adventures to count. If I could now hang my boots off my rear view mirror of my car, I would.
Anthropomorphism, anyone?

Thomas@Albany

Camino(s) past & future
First Part Oct. 5 2018 (StJ)-Oct. 19 (Boadillo); 2nd Part May 5 (Boadilla) to May 26, 2019.
I appreciate your response. I should have also added, what were the origins/traditions of burning possessions at Finisterre. So this is the answer I was looking for.

All traditions have to start some day. There was a time when some old Roman sniffed when hearing of Christmas as a new invented holiday. It is a tradition now and makes sense.

DannyFox

Camino(s) past & future
Septembre 2016 or March 2017
Yes, it’s a modern “tradition” that is a hazard to health, safety, and the environment. Instead of burning, I donated my clothes to a secondhand shop and used my boots as planters for succulents to always be reminded of my journey and that everything is connected.

Attachments

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock