• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Cold Weather Walking

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
Given the current season with Pilgrims who will be starting their journeys, I thought it might be of help to repost this information I had written and posted earlier

---------------------

When deciding on gear and clothing choices related to walking in colder weather, it is important to make these considerations in conjunction with how one might use them to best effect. Adequate clothing can fail to prevent hypothermia, for example, if good technique is ignored.

Layering clothing for temperature regulation and comfort is a biggie. You never dress with the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm at the start of walking or hiking... you wear the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm 10 minutes after you start walking.

In cold weather, or even cool weather, one needs to do what is necessary to prevent overheating and sweat. That includes how fast a pace one is moving at in exerting energy, as well as how much clothing one is wearing, and how much air circulation one is able to maintain.

It does not take long, with any layering amount, to saturate clothing with sweat. THAT is when the danger of hypothermia, and at the very least a chilly discomfort will begin to take its toll. If saturation or wetness happens, the only recourse is to change into dry clothing. Since there is usually a limited amount of clothing carried in a backpack, it is essential to adopt strategies to control sweating. Keep in mind that the material of your layers will also determine the effect to you from the above scenario. Focus on clothing made from merino wool or specialized synthetics. These will allow the garment to remain somewhat insulative even though saturated with sweat. Cottons and cotton blends are a menace and can accelerate a hypothermic condition.

Strategies include those mentioned above:
  • Limit layers of clothing to only those needed when full exertion is going to be achieved. For those who can't suck it up ;) for a few minutes, then wear only layers which can be quickly and easily removed. For instance, adding a poncho will add about a 15 degree F advantage to existing layers. It allows for good air circulation. As you warm up during the first 10 minutes of your walk, the poncho is easily removed and stashed into a side pocket of your pack.
  • Move as slow as you need to, within reason, to keep perspiration to a minimum. This may also mean stopping to allow your body to cool down. Even with a single, lightweight layer, some folks walking under load will tend to over-heat. Keep monitoring yourself.
  • Keep an insulative layer near at hand so that if you are wetting-out while walking, you can put it on quickly when you stop for a break. Keep it in an outside pocket or on top of the other contents in your pack. A light puffy jacket or mid-weight fleece or a down vest works well here. The key is to keep this layer dry and to use it as a last resort when at rest. If this strategy is needed, do not continue walking until you have been able to stop sweating and you can achieve some level of dryness to your clothes.
In the above scenario, you may actually become warmer by removing your saturated layers so that you only have on your dry insulative layer. Dig out a towel and dry off excess sweat as best you can. Wring out your other layers and let them start to dry. If you have a second shirt, put it on. Hang your wet things from your pack so that they can dry. After you have cooled down, and with your dry layer and your insulative layer on, walk slowly to avoid re-heating. You will make progress down the path, stay warm, while letting your wet layers become dry. The real goal at this point is to dry your layers, not achieve distance.
  • Do not discount the amount of added warmth a light scarf or bandanna or a buff will bring as it insulates your neck. Wearing one can make wearing less layers very comfortable. It will also be a good first line of defense against over-heating and excess sweating by the ability to remove it, thus allowing the neck to act as a radiator in helping to shed body heat.
  • Yes, the type of head gear worn makes a big difference in one's body's heat loss or retention. A hat that works well for sun is not going to be the best choice for cold weather. Wool is king, as it is far less impacted by sweat affecting its inuslative properties than most other materials. And even though wool weighs more than other types of insulation, you do not need a heavy cap of wool to keep you warm. Wool is also far more breathable than many materials which aids in heat control.
As with neck wear, a wool cap can be easily removed to assist with cooling the body to prevent overheating.

Much of the above is what I have used when mountain climbing at high altitudes. Patience and light, multiple layers is the key to preventing hypothermia when being active outdoors.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IMG_20190208_104729025.jpgFebruary on the Levante. We got good weather but the year before got blizzards. Smartwool short sleeved tshirt with Arcteryx Squamish. My Aarn back acts like a vest. On colder morning I had a puffy vest on top so I could get rid of it quickly. Fleecy buff and a regular buff. I also had cheapie glove liners I picked up at a Decathlon. I swear by my Paramo cascada 2 pants. But over 18C I find them quite warm even with all the venting so carried a hiking skirt for warm days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Given the current season with Pilgrims who will be starting their journeys, I thought it might be of help to repost this information I had written and posted earlier

---------------------

When deciding on gear and clothing choices related to walking in colder weather, it is important to make these considerations in conjunction with how one might use them to best effect. Adequate clothing can fail to prevent hypothermia, for example, if good technique is ignored.

Layering clothing for temperature regulation and comfort is a biggie. You never dress with the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm at the start of walking or hiking... you wear the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm 10 minutes after you start walking.

In cold weather, or even cool weather, one needs to do what is necessary to prevent overheating and sweat. That includes how fast a pace one is moving at in exerting energy, as well as how much clothing one is wearing, and how much air circulation one is able to maintain.

It does not take long, with any layering amount, to saturate clothing with sweat. THAT is when the danger of hypothermia, and at the very least a chilly discomfort will begin to take its toll. If saturation or wetness happens, the only recourse is to change into dry clothing. Since there is usually a limited amount of clothing carried in a backpack, it is essential to adopt strategies to control sweating. Keep in mind that the material of your layers will also determine the effect to you from the above scenario. Focus on clothing made from merino wool or specialized synthetics. These will allow the garment to remain somewhat insulative even though saturated with sweat. Cottons and cotton blends are a menace and can accelerate a hypothermic condition.

Strategies include those mentioned above:
  • Limit layers of clothing to only those needed when full exertion is going to be achieved. For those who can't suck it up ;) for a few minutes, then wear only layers which can be quickly and easily removed. For instance, adding a poncho will add about a 15 degree F advantage to existing layers. It allows for good air circulation. As you warm up during the first 10 minutes of your walk, the poncho is easily removed and stashed into a side pocket of your pack.
  • Move as slow as you need to, within reason, to keep perspiration to a minimum. This may also mean stopping to allow your body to cool down. Even with a single, lightweight layer, some folks walking under load will tend to over-heat. Keep monitoring yourself.
  • Keep an insulative layer near at hand so that if you are wetting-out while walking, you can put it on quickly when you stop for a break. Keep it in an outside pocket or on top of the other contents in your pack. A light puffy jacket or mid-weight fleece or a down vest works well here. The key is to keep this layer dry and to use it as a last resort when at rest. If this strategy is needed, do not continue walking until you have been able to stop sweating and you can achieve some level of dryness to your clothes.
In the above scenario, you may actually become warmer by removing your saturated layers so that you only have on your dry insulative layer. Dig out a towel and dry off excess sweat as best you can. Wring out your other layers and let them start to dry. If you have a second shirt, put it on. Hang your wet things from your pack so that they can dry. After you have cooled down, and with your dry layer and your insulative layer on, walk slowly to avoid re-heating. You will make progress down the path, stay warm, while letting your wet layers become dry. The real goal at this point is to dry your layers, not achieve distance.
  • Do not discount the amount of added warmth a light scarf or bandanna or a buff will bring as it insulates your neck. Wearing one can make wearing less layers very comfortable. It will also be a good first line of defense against over-heating and excess sweating by the ability to remove it, thus allowing the neck to act as a radiator in helping to shed body heat.
  • Yes, the type of head gear worn makes a big difference in one's body's heat loss or retention. A hat that works well for sun is not going to be the best choice for cold weather. Wool is king, as it is far less impacted by sweat affecting its inuslative properties than most other materials. And even though wool weighs more than other types of insulation, you do not need a heavy cap of wool to keep you warm. Wool is also far more breathable than many materials which aids in heat control.
As with neck wear, a wool cap can be easily removed to assist with cooling the body to prevent overheating.

Much of the above is what I have used when mountain climbing at high altitudes. Patience and light, multiple layers is the key to preventing hypothermia when being active outdoors.
Don’t forget to manage the extremities. Hands can get very cold even though the body feels warm. I walked early May and on the odd cool morning I wore gloves for the first 30-60 minutes until the sun had warmed the ambient air.

One loses the majority of one's body heat through the head & ears, neck, feet and hands. Cover those bits, and you can go lighter on the arms, legs and torso. Dave got it near complete above. I just gave you the really condensed version.

Dave is also spot on about avoiding cotton and cotton blend fabric clothing. Blue jeans might be durable and stop the wind. But, when they get wet, they stay wet. Being cold and wet contributes mightily to hypothermia.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

One loses the majority of one's body heat through the head & ears, neck, feet and hands. Cover those bits, and you can go lighter on the arms, legs and torso. Dave got it near complete above. I just gave you the really condensed version.

Dave is also spot on about avoiding cotton and cotton blend fabric clothing. Blue jeans might be durable and stop the wind. But, when they get wet, they stay wet. Being cold and wet contributes mightily to hypothermia.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom
See this though….

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
See this though….
The brain requires 20% of our blood circulation, while being only 2% of our body mass (I have met several people with less than that...). So if your head gets cold, 20% of your blood will be cooled down. Continuously. Obviously.

Debunking debunked.

Other than that, the above advices are good for cold climate. I have served in the army in Arctic Norway, specially trained for winter warfare, being used to temperatures between minus -10-20 C in tents in the mountains, and I am still alive (despite what my woman claims on rare occations). Head and extremities always in cold weather.

Some of the best protection gear for the head:

Bjørnefetta.jpg

Good one, @davebugg , @t2andreo & others.

Last edited:
I’ve spent most of my life in Minnesota. It gets cold here in winter. Layers are key. High-tech wicking fabrics close to the body, then Merino wool, then a down or synthetic insulation jacket. On colder days I also wear a Merino wool neck gaiter. Of course insulated gloves/mittens and a hat. A wicking base layer under your pants is also important. The nice thing about a zippered jacket is you can better regulate your temperature. Dave is right, you get warmer than you might think out walking in winter.

Hmmm, have heard this about the head but never about the extremities. It has been my experience, living in Canada, that if you keep the core warm the extremities will be fine. If the core is cold or even just cool, your body abandons the extremities and routes the warm blood to the core. After many years of avoiding the outdoors because of cold hands and feet, I've finally learned to dress my body warmly, doubling up on socks and mitts does not work.
Now if you mean just to start out, OK. I start out on a hike cold because I know in no time I will be warmed up and over heating if Ive got too much on and it's a pain to stop and take a jacket or fleece off when you're wearing a pack. It's easy to take gloves and a hat off so that's a good option.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did not mean to say that you could ignore your core in cold weather. I apologize for that misunderstanding.

You are correct in that the core produces energy to supply the limbs and extremities. My point was/is that you lose relatively more warmth from the extremities than from the core.

Practically speaking, and for those of us who carry additional fat, when was the last time you saw someone with an extra 20 pounds of insulating fat on their head, hands or feet? Most of us carry extra fat (adipose or visceral) in our abdominal area or upper arms, or hips.

To clarify, if you cover the extremities, you can do with a lighter insulative layer on your core. That is why those of us in North America frequently see outdoor workers during the winter wearing an relatively lightweight insulated vest, warm hat, gloves and insulated footwear. Their continuous activity (e.g. walking with a rucksack in our scenario) generates enough warmth for the core and organs, while supplying warm blood to the extremities - including the brain. While a central "organ" the brain just happens to be stored in an extremity - the head.

Just stay dry. Once you get wet, the paradigm shifts dramatically. Evaporative cooling in cold weather can kill you, if hypothermia sets it.

Hope this helps clarify matters.

Tom

Last edited:
The brain requires 20% of our blood circulation, while being only 2% of our body mass (I have met several people with less than that...). So if your head gets cold, 20% of your blood will be cooled down. Continuously. Obviously.

Debunking debunked.

Other than that, the above advices are good for cold climate. I have served in the army in Arctic Norway, specially trained for winter warfare, being used to temperatures between minus -10-20 C in tents in the mountains, and I am still alive (despite what my woman claims on rare occations). Head and extremities always in cold weather.

Some of the best protection gear for the head:

View attachment 160384

Good one, @davebugg , @t2andreo & others.

Thank you Alex.

I trust someone who lives in Trömso, Norway when not on Camino relatively more in this discussion.

I don't mind not being correct. But, you and Davebugg are subject matter experts. You both literally live in this sort of climate. Although you take the prize for living farther above the Arctic Circle than most any other Forum member.

Enjoy the Northern Lights.

Tom

I did not mean to say that you could ignore your core in cold weather. I apologize for that misunderstanding.

You are correct in that the core produces energy to supply the limbs and extremities. My point was/is that you lose relatively more warmth from the extremities than from the core.

Practically speaking, and for those of us who carry additional fat, when was the last time you saw someone with an extra 20 pounds of insulating fat on their head, hands or feet? Most of us carry extra fat (adipose or visceral) in our abdominal area or upper arms, or hips.

To clarify, if you cover the extremities, you can do with a lighter insulative layer on your core. That is why those of us in North America frequently see outdoor worker during the winter wearing an relatively lightweight insulated vest, warm hat, gloves and insulated footwear. Their continuous activity (e.g. walking with a rucksack in our scenario) generates enough warmth for the core and organs, while supplying warm blood to the extremities - including the brain. While a central "organ" the brain just happens to be stored in an extremity - the head.

Just stay dry. Once you get wet, the paradigm shifts dramatically. Evaporative cooling in cold weather can kill you, if hypothermia sets it.

Hope this helps clarify matters.

Tom
Growing up in Canada, I did exactly what you are suggesting and my hands and feet would always get cold and I mean numb like useless blocks of wood. Now, I add extra layers on my core and have no need for gloves, hat or extra socks. I bring them for when I stop but rarely need them while walking. You lose more heat from your extremities because your warm core is exhausting that heat to keep itself from overheating. If you go lighter on your core, you risk reversing that process and mitts, hats and socks won't help you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been trying and testing out my next Spring Camino gear in close to freezing temperatures outside. The aim has been to pack as light as possible, while having practically everything with me for multiple use.

Its really important is not to skimp on the after hiking clothing. With a calorie deficit being built up over hours of walking, you will feel cold like never before. I have had cold shivers after Summer Caminos during a heatwave inside the albergues even, not a pleasant thing to experience.

Anywho, here is what I will hit the trail with:
https://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/10/07/spring-autumn-gear-packing-list-for-camino/

Hmmm, have heard this about the head but never about the extremities. It has been my experience, living in Canada, that if you keep the core warm the extremities will be fine. If the core is cold or even just cool, your body abandons the extremities and routes the warm blood to the core. After many years of avoiding the outdoors because of cold hands and feet, I've finally learned to dress my body warmly, doubling up on socks and mitts does not work.
Now if you mean just to start out, OK. I start out on a hike cold because I know in no time I will be warmed up and over heating if Ive got too much on and it's a pain to stop and take a jacket or fleece off when you're wearing a pack. It's easy to take gloves and a hat off so that's a good option.
Interesting. One of my first jobs (also in Canada) also involved a lot of outdoor work. Everyone knew about the importance of a warm head, but the saying at that job was that to really feel warm you needed warm feet.

As you say, if the core becomes cold, the body will reroute and keep the core warm. That, to me, implies that the extremities need extra protection because they are the first to be left without internal protection.

Interesting. One of my first jobs (also in Canada) also involved a lot of outdoor work. Everyone knew about the importance of a warm head, but the saying at that job was that to really feel warm you needed warm feet.

As you say, if the core becomes cold, the body will reroute and keep the core warm. That, to me, implies that the extremities need extra protection because they are the first to be left without internal protection.
If your hands and feet are cold, it's not because they are losing too much heat, it's because they don't have enough heat. Just ask my husband how cold my feet are when I get into bed! Keep the core warm and it will keep your extremities warm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have plenty of experience in cold weather in the northern midwest states, whether it was shoveling snow by hand as a teenager, ice skating on lakes in Minnesota, sledding with my growing boys, or cross country skiing in Door County, Wisconsin. I always wear layers in extreme cold including a down jacket. Even with my warm core, I would never go without good gloves or mittens, a wool hat, thick wool socks, and a good buff or scarf for my neck and face. Add in a wind factor if my extremities were unprotected would def be a recipe for disaster for me. I sometimes am able to remove pieces later "if" I warm up. We are all different.

I have plenty of experience in cold weather in the northern midwest states, whether it was shoveling snow by hand as a teenager, ice skating on lakes in Minnesota, sledding with my growing boys, or cross country skiing in Door County, Wisconsin. I always wear layers in extreme cold including a down jacket. Even with my warm core, I would never go without good gloves or mittens, a wool hat, thick wool socks, and a good buff or scarf for my neck and face. Add in a wind factor if my extremities were unprotected would def be a recipe for disaster for me. I sometimes am able to remove pieces later "if" I warm up. We are all different.
Im not saying wear nothing on extremities in subzero temps! I just don't agree with the advice "if you cover the extremities, you can do with a lighter insulative layer on your core."

It does not take long, with any layering amount, to saturate clothing with sweat.
Move as slow as you need to, within reason, to keep perspiration to a minimum. This may also mean stopping to allow your body to cool down.
hmmmmm, in my experience of some very lengthy Winter Camino walking, bearing in mind it's NOT the same as mountain hiking, if you're perspiring to that degree, then you're probably overcompensating.

I've found that clothing that your skin can "breathe" in whilst keeping you warm and dry is best.

But if you're hot to the point of transpiring in that manner, you're probably wearing either too much or something inappropriate.
I really don't think there's any one-size-fits-all solution.

I like my great big black woollen pilgrim cape because it's open in the front, so that there's good air circulation, and it's (mostly) natural fabric, so that I don't get any build-up of condensation inside what might occur in something like a plastic poncho.
A hat that works well for sun is not going to be the best choice for cold weather.
Not what I've found.

A good wide-brimmed hiking hat, thicker than a light summer one, works quite well to keep rain and wind off your head, i typical Winter Camino conditions anyway.
Wool is king, as it is far less impacted by sweat affecting its inuslative properties than most other materials. And even though wool weighs more than other types of insulation, you do not need a heavy cap of wool to keep you warm. Wool is also far more breathable than many materials which aids in heat control.
Yes indeed !!
There is a very low risk of hypothermia on a normal Camino in Winter.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not at all my own experience (though my own jeans are black rather than blue), though here it's a matter of how you radiate body heat.

My own body heat dries my cotton trousers and t-shirts very quickly indeed, even midwinter ; whereas in other people that sort of wet clothing in cold weather might constitute a risk of hypothermia.

Not everyone has the same metabolism, so that good advice for some might be dreadful advice for others.

I'd suggest finding what works personally, and avoiding what doesn't -- instead of thinking that any magic bullet solution is universally valid.

hmmmmm, in my experience of some very lengthy Winter Camino walking, bearing in mind it's NOT the same as mountain hiking, if you're perspiring to that degree, then you're probably overcompensating.

I've found that clothing that your skin can "breathe" in whilst keeping you warm and dry is best.

But if you're hot to the point of transpiring in that manner, you're probably wearing either too much or something inappropriate.

I really don't think there's any one-size-fits-all solution.

I like my great big black woollen pilgrim cape because it's open in the front, so that there's good air circulation, and it's (mostly) natural fabric, so that I don't get any build-up of condensation inside what might occur in something like a plastic poncho.

Not what I've found.

A good wide-brimmed hiking hat, thicker than a light summer one, works quite well to keep rain and wind off your head, i typical Winter Camino conditions anyway.

Yes indeed !!

There is a very low risk of hypothermia on a normal Camino in Winter.

I'm not going to start arguing back and forth. But if there is ever an example of taking an entire OP out of context in order to cherry pick their way thru and rationalize and define conclusions that were never stated...bingo, you win.

Yeah, no one sweats at all on the ascents up a number of the elevation gains which match many hiking trails. And hiking is not the only experience this applies to, I've done three Caminos as well.

Congrats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve spent most of my life in Minnesota. It gets cold here in winter. Layers are key. High-tech wicking fabrics close to the body, then Merino wool, then a down or synthetic insulation jacket. On colder days I also wear a Merino wool neck gaiter. Of course insulated gloves/mittens and a hat. A wicking base layer under your pants is also important. The nice thing about a zippered jacket is you can better regulate your temperature. Dave is right, you get warmer than you might think out walking in winter.

If you wear insulated trousers, you need less on the top half.
Your legs are also less likely to sweat as heavily as your trunk.
I’ve mooched around in snow and ice, wearing insulated trousers and a light down and Goretex jacket, with only a short sleeved tech t-shirt under the jacket. I carried some extra clothing, just in case, but it wasn’t needed.
My companion did get mild hypothermia; hot chocolate saved the day 😉

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@davebugg has posted some excellent advice about winter walking. Obviously this is general advice for typical best preparation, but every individual is different and is free to make choices to do things differently. However, forum members are asked to consider how they frame their different opinions respectfully.

Several posts (about whether this thread should be deleted) have been removed. I hope we can avoid deleting or closing this thread!

I'll be hiking the Camino in April for the first time, but I have hiked the JMT four times and one trick I've picked up is instead of bringing gloves that you only wear for an hour or so in the morning to instead use a pair of wool socks as mittens. Better to have an extra pair of wool socks than a hitchhiking pair of gloves.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back