• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two busted ankles + hip problems---skipped the meseta

Wnccamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Current
I took a few rest days in Burgos hoping my ankles would get better. They improved a little, but my hips started having issues. After walking 10km out of Burgos to Tardajos, I made a hard decision to ride the bus back to Burgos the next morning and skip the meseta with future plans to come back someday to complete that section. I rode the bus to Leon and was going to spend an extra day in Leon to recover more....but most hotels close to Camino were booked solid. I limped 7.5km out of Leon to Virgin de Camino today and chose to stay in the albergue here.

It is really touching how many pilgrims slow down to offer assistance to me when they see me slowly limping up the way. My doctor gave a possible diagnosis of tendonitis in both ankles from the pictures I texted, but could not be sure without physically being there. I have not mentioned my current issues with my hips because she already suggested I stop based on my ankles. I really do not want to stop even if I can only limp 5-10km per day.

I am only 35, not overweight one bit, and before doing the way I considered myself pretty physically fit. I never did much cardio, but I lifted weights at least once a week. I really hope I do not end my Camino premature.

Not sure why I am posting this to be honest. I don't really need advice. I guess I just needed to vent to people that may have experienced similar situations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I feel for you about your injuries but I'm not really very good expressing sympathy. So, please forgive me by going to the practical.

From La Virgen you could bus back and forth to Leon for a few days for sight-seeing if you are up to it. I was enchanted by the Royal Pantheon at the Basilica of San Isidoro.

Peg was wiped out for a few days after walking out of Leon. At the tourist office in Astorga I inquired about a place to rent a wheelchair. No luck there but they made a call to the Red Cross who brought a collapsable one over for us to use for a few days donativo (we are long time givers to the Red Cross; now in two countries.) If you have noone to wheel you I bet you could find a few kindly new pilgrim friends. They would probably not try to terrify you as I did to Peg.

Thanks, no sympathy needed...or wheelchair. I chose to do the Camino myself, completely solo. I would crawl the rest of the way before I would allow myself to be wheeled by another..... But this is a personal choice of mine. I have been slightly considering buying or trying a bike though..... But I doubt I would ever do that either.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re-reading my post I see that some of my thoughts didn't make it into my post. Your post made me think that maybe you were going to stop the camino. I really should have mentioned that and then added that before you do that you should do some sight seeing in Leon and Astorga first. Astorga is on a hill but it is relatively flat on top and not bad for solo wheelchairing in case you do want to keep off your feet. There is a hill to and from the chocolate museum but then nothing can really get in the way of chocoholics.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I took a few rest days in Burgos hoping my ankles would get better. They improved a little, but my hips started having issues. After walking 10km out of Burgos to Tardajos, I made a hard decision to ride the bus back to Burgos the next morning and skip the meseta with future plans to come back someday to complete that section. I rode the bus to Leon and was going to spend an extra day in Leon to recover more....but most hotels close to Camino were booked solid. I limped 7.5km out of Leon to Virgin de Camino today and chose to stay in the albergue here.

It is really touching how many pilgrims slow down to offer assistance to me when they see me slowly limping up the way. My doctor gave a possible diagnosis of tendonitis in both ankles from the pictures I texted, but could not be sure without physically being there. I have not mentioned my current issues with my hips because she already suggested I stop based on my ankles. I really do not want to stop even if I can only limp 5-10km per day.

I am only 35, not overweight one bit, and before doing the way I considered myself pretty physically fit. I never did much cardio, but I lifted weights at least once a week. I really hope I do not end my Camino premature.

Not sure why I am posting this to be honest. I don't really need advice. I guess I just needed to vent to people that may have experienced similar situations.
So sorry to hear this. Like @Rick of Rick and Peg says, rest and enjoy Leon and Astorga. A few days of that could make all the difference between finishing, and coming back later to do so. I know it can be frustrating to have to hit the pause button for a few days, but I took rest days in both Leon and Astorga because there are so many wonderful things to see and do there.
I hope you are better soon (and btw lucky you, having access to your physician like that).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
this proves you have a Y chromosome:)
Yikes, SS, that doesn't prove anything of the sort! :mad::mad: I don't think I have a Y chromosome, and "Practical" is my middle name!:eek: It just reiterates a generalization/stereotype which has a grain of truth! (That's OK, I know that the statement is really just another way of sympathizing!)

Back to the OP...
Not sure why I am posting this to be honest.
It was a good post and worth reading - a reminder to everyone that we are all vulnerable to overuse injuries, regardless of age. It is wise to be watchful for these injuries in the early stages, when they have a better chance of healing quickly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So sorry to hear about the joint issues. Will I make it worse by saying you could have taken a 10 min. city bus from Leon to Virgen del Camino? ;0(

I sympatize with you.
But one thing I can't understand. Obviously you have some time constrains and if your ankles and hips too hurt then why skip the mostly flat section of CF and went further on for the hills??? Wouldn't that be more painful? Loose rocks, uphills, downhills etc.?

Anyway I hope you'll get better and enjoy rest of your camino in full. Ultreia!

So sorry to hear of your pain issues. Have you seen a Doctor there ? Many pilgrims I met along the Camino this past summer raved about the helpfulness of the Physicians and Therapists along the way. Many would book follow up appointments for them as they travelled. And the costs were quite reasonable. They truly want to help you, the pilgrim, finish.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So sorry to hear of your pain issues. Have you seen a Doctor there ? Many pilgrims I met along the Camino this past summer raved about the helpfulness of the Physicians and Therapists along the way. Many would book follow up appointments for them as they travelled. And the costs were quite reasonable. They truly want to help you, the pilgrim, finish.
Buen Camino
I'd like to say something of the Spanish health system- it's very impressive! Like you I've developed a significant issue with my feet two doctors in Sehugun said to stop walking for 5 days so I caught a train to Leon and rested however on the 3rd day I realised I didn't want to continue and risk permanent damage to my feet so I've (happily) returned home having completed half of my intended Camino. If your Camino is now about stubbornness then this might be the lesson here- taking care of ourselves physically surely must always be a priority over any attachment to a pre determined goal. I was so affected to hear about the 69 year old man who died just a few days ago- I'm not sure but somebody wrote that he'd put off sorting out some medical issue he was having.... sore feet won't kill me but they'll affect my quality of life so for now I'm going home and recovering in order to better be able to walk into a healthy future both mind and body. Please take care.

I am sorry for your pain. Let me tell you a story about what I learned long ago training several days a week, week after week for half marathon runs. Running is different from hiking, sort of. What I learned is that if I trained to do long runs or even hard runs more than 4 days a week, within a couple to three weeks I would get what are called over-use injuries. They could be IT band, shin splints, killer metatarsal pain, sore Achilles tendon, etc. I ran for many years and still sometime train for endurance events. At my age I NEED two rest days a week and a light work out a week unless I want to injure myself.

What I have learned is that "recovery" is key to being able to exercise day after day after day. A Camino is strenuous exercise day after day after day after day. The body needs recovery days. The more you push yourself past what you have trained for the more recovery time you need each week.

Young people recover faster than older people. I have a Masters Runner book with a marathon and half marathon training guide. It is much different in its workouts than the training guides for younger runners.

Everyone is different, but if you are planning a 30 day hiking Camino, you should plan lots of rest days unless you are a very young person. Yes, some people who have trained well, are super fit can hike day after day, because they really aren't pushing themselves physically. Some of us that are in our late 60's need more rest days if we want to stay healthy for say 3 to 5 weeks worth of strenuous exercise.

My advise would be to enjoy the big cities. Find and use the wonderful train system and bus system. Heal your joints. Get some massages. Take anti-inflamatories. Eat healthy. Then walk the last 100+ km with a few rest days sprinkled in so that you can get your Compostella. But that would be what I would do if I were in your sore shoes. Choose whatever Camino you want and good luck to you.

I took a few rest days in Burgos hoping my ankles would get better. They improved a little, but my hips started having issues. After walking 10km out of Burgos to Tardajos, ... I limped 7.5km out of Leon to Virgin de Camino today and chose to stay in the albergue here.
My doctor gave a possible diagnosis of tendonitis in both ankles from the pictures I texted, but could not be sure without physically being there. I have not mentioned my current issues with my hips because she already suggested I stop based on my ankles. I really do not want to stop even if I can only limp 5-10km per day. I am only 35, not overweight one bit, and before doing the way I considered myself pretty physically fit. I never did much cardio, but I lifted weights at least once a week. I really hope I do not end my Camino premature.
Given your age and the suggested diagnosis from your home doctor, my suggestion - return to Leon, go to one of the major hospital outpatient clinics and get a proper diagnosis. The section of the Camino from Astorga to Sarria involves some of the most difficult sections of the camino since leaving St Jean (at least two major climbs). If it is tendonitis then major rest is (as far as I know) the only cure. If you push on you could do major damage. No pilgrim ever wants to abandon their Camino but at some point you need to make a sensible decision. Good luck and I hope you do mend - short or long term. Cheers

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, have you been prescribed topical or oral anti-inflammatories? What kind of bandage have you applied around your ankles? A tight compression wrap around both your ankles + oral painkiller during the day, no bandage + anti inflammatory gel during the night might help you a LOT. Ibuprofen and Voltaren gel are sold OTC in Spain for dirt cheap.

... + oral painkiller during the day...

But not when walking! A good way to ignore the distress signal (pain) of your body and a high risk of doing lasting damage to joints/tendons. Also those OTC painkillers can have quite serious side effects. Buen Camino, SY

Very sad to say this (seriously got watery eyes a few times today and that is hard to admit for me even on an anonymous forum)but based on the advice from pilgrims(in this thread and at the albergue last night) I have cancelled my Camino for the time being. My hip sockets were much worse this morning, plus I have developed an infection from a hangnail on my left middle finger, plus my ankles are no better. I caught a bus back to Leon this morning. I caught a train to Bilbao this afternoon. Arrived about an hour ago. Tomorrow I am catching a flight to Amsterdam for some rest and relaxation. I will complete my Camino, and every part I missed some day. But now is not the time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take it easy, rest yourself and see you soon on the trails!

Very sad to say this (seriously got watery eyes a few times today and that is hard to admit for me even on an anonymous forum)but based on the advice from pilgrims(in this thread and at the albergue last night) I have cancelled my Camino for the time being. My hip sockets were much worse this morning, plus I have developed an infection from a hangnail on my left middle finger, plus my ankles are no better. I caught a bus back to Leon this morning. I caught a train to Bilbao this afternoon. Arrived about an hour ago. Tomorrow I am catching a flight to Amsterdam for some rest and relaxation. I will complete my Camino, and every part I missed some day. But now is not the time.
Probably a wise decision. Enjoy your stay in Amsterdam, and we'll see you back on the Camino another year!

We did the camino in Winter - Jan and Feb. As you can imagine it was punishingly cold. When we got to the meseta we just couldn't make headway against the fierce freezing wind, and we had lots of hurting bits (including my husband still being in recovery from shoulder surgery only two months before). We were thinking of giving up but then decided to take public transport to Leon. We thought, "What the heck" and stayed four days in the Parador which of course was bliss and is a fabulous memory. That strategy truly saved our camino. We didn't go home. Instead we set off again, got to Santiago, and have done two other caminos since then. There are no rules! Do it the way you want or what your body allows.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enjoy the relaxation, there really is no finish to the Camino for some of us...
Keith

I'm so glad you made the decision to put your health and well being ahead of a dream. The dream will still be waiting for you after your body has recovered. Buen Camino.

Having had to abandon one Camino due to damaged foot I know how "mentally low" you must have felt arriving back in Leon. However I think you have made the wise decision. Your body will repair itself (with the assistance of the medicos) and next year or the year after you will be able to return. The Camino has been there for over 1000 years so its not going away. Rest; Recover; Enjoy Amsterdam and Buen Camino!!:);):D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't feel bad, I stopped st Sehugun and caught a train to Leon which for my Camino became my Santiago- I'd been walking for 4 weeks. Once I'd decided to stop I felt quite elated and excited and not disappointed so I hope you can find some joy in your unique achievement. Whether you resume or not (I'm currently undecided) please don't diminish what you've achieved and experienced. The night I let go of my walking Camino I went to the pilgrim blessing offered by the Nuns at the Monastery where I was staying in the centre of Sehugun- for me the 45 minutes of reflection listening to a small number of nuns singing the blessings in Spanish was a profound ending and a gift. I left the Camino happy. I wish you well.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back