• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using a Spanish SIM card

StumpyDave

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte to Primitivo 7/22. Finistère/Muxia 8/22.
Hello everyone… I have heard purchasing a Spanish Sim card is the best way to go, as long as you are bringing a phone that is unlocked… (Which mine is.)
My question is, once you insert this Spanish SIM card, do you then have a new Spanish phone number? Must you then give all of your contacts back home this new number so they know who is calling? Do all your sent texts to family/friends show up (to them) as a strange number from Spain?
Sorry if these are dumb questions… I just want to be as prepared as possible for my upcoming Camino. Thanks in advance for your knowledge, experience and advice. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
do you then have a new Spanish phone number?
Yes
Must you then give all of your contacts back home this new number so they know who is calling?
Only if you want them to know. ;)
Do all your sent texts to family/friends show up (to them) as a strange number from Spain?
Yes, if you use SMS (phone-based) text messaging, which may or may not be included in the plan that you purchase with your SIM card. However, for all of the internet-based accounts that you have on your phone, such as emails, Facebook, FB Messenger, WhatsApp, you will be the familiar old StumpyDave.

I get a SIM card with a data plan so that I have internet virtually anywhere, and can use WhatsApp or Messenger. There are only a few people I would want to call, so I give them my new temporary number.

Last edited:
Do all your sent texts to family/friends show up (to them) as a strange number from Spain?
Yes, but the plan that you buy with the Spanish sim card probably won't include international texting. Most people in Spain use WhatsApp or another app to send texts. You can use it over wifi, and also make calls via WhatsApp. Or you can use Facebook Messenger or whatever app your friends and family use.

I'm in the US, and have been using my T-Mobile account for my overseas travels including my Camino trips. My regular monthly fee includes unlimited texting and data while I'm abroad, so I don't need to switch out my sim card. Google Fi has a similar plan. Other US based carriers have international plans that are a lot more expensive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@StumpyDave in addition to what @C clearly and @trecile have advised, you will have to deal with any two-factor identification on services that you use with your current number, and change these to using an email or identification questions and not your US based mobile number. It might be possible to let places like your bank know what your new (Spanish) number is and get them to use that. If that is possible, hopefully someone who has done it can explain how. There was an active thread on this recently, and you should be able to find that discussion easily enough.

My preference is to use a dual-sim handset, which allows me to keep my current Australian number active. In the past, I have carried a recently retired handset or bought a cheap 'vanilla' handset on arrival for my overseas number, and carried both phones. There are plenty of ways to skin this cat. One or other will work well enough for you.

I am in the USA.

November 2019, my cell automatically switched to Spain’s service.

I didn’t realize until I received a call from home.

There was no SIM card needed. No extra charges. Nothing. I used cell exactly as I did within USA.
Ask you carrier if they have an agreement with Spain.

I am in the USA.

November 2019, my cell automatically switched to Spain’s service.

I didn’t realize until I received a call from home.

There was no SIM card needed. No extra charges. Nothing. I used cell exactly as I did within USA.
Ask you carrier if they have an agreement with Spain.
Who do you have cell service with?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first thing I do when I arrive in Spain is buy a sim - in 2019 I bought a package for 20 Euro. The young man did the whole thing for me - I used my same number and was able to whats up my family and friends and could be in contact with my other pilgrims. I thought it was fabulous and I think I had to buy extra data some time later in the camino. I have been doing this now since 2017 and what a pleasure!!!

If I buy a Spanish SIM , I should be able to use it in France correct?
Will be landing in Barcelona and then flying to Geneva to walk to Le Puy. Then will make our way back to Leon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, but the plan that you buy with the Spanish sim card probably won't include international texting. Most people in Spain use WhatsApp or another app to send texts. You can use it over wifi, and also make calls via WhatsApp. Or you can use Facebook Messenger or whatever app your friends and family use.

I'm in the US, and have been using my T-Mobile account for my overseas travels including my Camino trips. My regular monthly fee includes unlimited texting and data while I'm abroad, so I don't need to switch out my sim card. Google Fi has a similar plan. Other US based carriers have international plans that are a lot more expensive.
Thanks for that info, trecile. I am leaving for Italy soon, and I just upgraded my tMobil to "Magenta 55" or something like that, and supposedly I will have unlimited text and data, with phone calls at 25 cents per minute. Does this seem right to you? Also, are the phone calls 25 cents per minute within Italy only, or would that be the same for calls to the US? I have gotten conflicting answers from tMobil representatives, and also from their website, so am hoping you can tell me from your own experience. I wish tMobil was more knowledgeable about their services, but it does sound like the "Magenta" offers what I need.

Just to note that if you do buy a Spanish sim to use in your phone, that Spanish phone number will be used for calls and texts.... BUT if you use WhatsApp you can continue to use it with your normal/permanent phone number. Make sure any sim card you buy includes a data allowance which will let you use WhatsApp /Skype etc for messaging and calls over those services. Hope this helps

Thanks for that info, trecile. I am leaving for Italy soon, and I just upgraded my tMobil to "Magenta 55" or something like that, and supposedly I will have unlimited text and data, with phone calls at 25 cents per minute. Does this seem right to you? Also, are the phone calls 25 cents per minute within Italy only, or would that be the same for calls to the US? I have gotten conflicting answers from tMobil representatives, and also from their website, so am hoping you can tell me from your own experience. I wish tMobil was more knowledgeable about their services, but it does sound like the "Magenta" offers what I need.
Yes, the texts to and from US numbers are free.
Instead of using cell service to make 25¢ a minute calls I use apps to make free or very low cost calls over wifi or cellular data.
If you and the other party have WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger you can make calls with those apps.
For calling businesses and landlines I use the Viber app to make calls for only 2¢ a minute - that's for calls within Europe or back home to the US. You need to install the Viber app and buy Viber Out credits. I usually buy $5 worth that lasts for a couple or more overseas trips.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone… I have heard purchasing a Spanish Sim card is the best way to go, as long as you are bringing a phone that is unlocked… (Which mine is.)
My question is, once you insert this Spanish SIM card, do you then have a new Spanish phone number? Must you then give all of your contacts back home this new number so they know who is calling? Do all your sent texts to family/friends show up (to them) as a strange number from Spain?
Sorry if these are dumb questions… I just want to be as prepared as possible for my upcoming Camino. Thanks in advance for your knowledge, experience and advice. :)
Not dumb questions at all. I’ve wondered the same thing.

If you install WhatsApp into your phone *now*, it will locate your contacts who are already using it. When you put the Spanish SIM into your phone, you will keep your contacts and you can call them or text them from WA — they will see your recognizable ID *and* the new Spanish number.
Less work for you!

I did something like you did a month ago. I had been in the neolithic age of cellphone service with T-Mobile pay as you go since 2005. It was great phone service but without data and I was always asking for the wifi codes wherever I was. When I traveled to France and Spain, I would buy an Orange simcard and let contacts know my new number. BTW some of those stays were up to 6 months.
I bought a new iPhone and upgraded to a monthly plan with phone, data, etc. using the Plus 55 T-Mobile program. After my first call to a friend in France, I received a notice from T-Mobile that I had just made an $80 call. I called them and said I thought I had bought a free international program with something that might only cost $0.25/minute for those calls. It seems there was further upgrade I needed to do, which I did for a few more dollars a month.
You might want to call T-Mobile and give them the various scenarios that you see using with your phone. I think what I found is the folks in their shops don't completely understand all the ways international calling works.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will be landing in Barcelona and then flying to Geneva to walk to Le Puy. Then will make our way back to Leon.
It depends on the company you choose for your simcard. I haven't been there for 2 years and I think there have been many changes lately to who has the best cellphone coverage in Europe, but I would recommend Orange. I have used them for 20 years.

I don't have direct experience, but I have read that people have had problems "topping off" their sim cards when they are in a different country than where they purchased the card.

I don't have direct experience, but I have read that people have had problems "topping off" their sim cards when they are in a different country than where they purchased the card.
Depends on the carrier, Orange is not a problem

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm walking the Portugese Camino from Lisbon. I plan on buying a SIM card in Lisbon. Will I need a new SIM card when I cross into Spain?

I plan on buying a SIM card in Lisbon. Will I need a new SIM card when I cross into Spain?
Edit: Another Rick who knows more than me to the rescue. See his post below.

Others on the forum have indicated that you may need to buy a Spanish SIM too. It depends on the the company in Portugal. If you can manage to keep the Portuguese SIM working in Spain you should save some money but you will also retain your new number so you only need to notify folks back home of the Portuguese number and not again for the Spanish one.

Last edited:
Under EU law, the SIM card should continue to work when you cross between EU countries. That is, the phone number will keep working for talk and text. What MAY not keep working is the data plan, and that's the part most people really need. Some SIM card packages offer EU wide data, others are only for the home country. My Euro SIM has one price for data packages bought and used in its home country (France) and a higher price if I want to use data elsewhere in the EU. The talk and text part doesn't care where I am in the EU.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Under EU law, the SIM card should continue to work when you cross between EU countries. That is, the phone number will keep working for talk and text. What MAY not keep working is the data plan, and that's the part most people really need. Some SIM card packages offer EU wide data, others are only for the home country. My Euro SIM has one price for data packages bought and used in its home country (France) and a higher price if I want to use data elsewhere in the EU. The talk and text part doesn't care where I am in the EU.
Thank you Rick, that is helpful, when I purchase it in Spain I will inform them I need to use data throughout EU (just Switzerland and France)

Thank you Rick

Depends on the carrier, Orange is not a problem
I bought a SIM card from Orange France and it worked in Spain too, but I could not buy those 'scratchy' recharge tickets in Spain for it, they told me that Orange Spain is a different company. There was a web address to buy more credits from Orange France but it turned out to be cheaper to just get a new SIM card from Orange Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought a SIM card from Orange France and it worked in Spain too, but I could not buy those 'scratchy' recharge tickets in Spain for it, they told me that Orange Spain is a different company. There was a web address to buy more credits from Orange France but it turned out to be cheaper to just get a new SIM card from Orange Spain.
Personally, I probably would have spent the extra money to retain the same EU phone number throughout my trip (I'm assuming it wasn't an outrageous extra cost). I'm not saying your choice was bad but I am trying to indicate what might end up being a non-obvious problem for others.

Thank you Rick, that is helpful, when I purchase it in Spain I will inform them I need to use data throughout EU (just Switzerland and France)
While I am on a roll......

The cheapest SIM packages will offer a bucket of minutes and data for a terrific price, like 20-30 Euro. These are good for a month, then you need to get another package. This can be difficult or impossible if you are in another country. Other packages will cost more...but... They will offer options to renew for longer periods, and you can buy more data and minutes separately. When picking one out, make sure it will work for you. Typically, the cheapest ones are designed for tourists who show up for a few weeks, then go home and toss the SIM card away. Some companies will let you renew a tourist package, some won't. Your strategy to ask questions is a good idea so there are no surprises. The questions are:

Does it expire in 30 days, and can I renew for longer?

Will the data roam EU wide?

Can I top up minutes and data EU wide? Via web/credit card or code from a shop?

Can I buy top up codes where I am going? Can I buy one now and use it later in a different country?

I have been using the same SIM card for years, because I visit the EU regularly. As has been pointed out, there is a convenience to this, because everyone knows my number when I am away, including me! I have paid more for this convenience, but for me it is worth it. Most frequent visitors will be better off with a renewable pack like mine. If this is a "one time" trip for you, getting a tourist package and SIM, maybe a couple of them in different countries, will be the cheapest way to go. Everyone will have a different answer to what is best for them, depending on what they want, where they are going, for how long.

Oh, and don't, freak out when they copy your passport at the shop. More regulations....

Also get them to check that you have Roaming turned on for that SIM card in your phone settings. No roaming set then the phone wont work regardless of what plan you have.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't forget to take your passport with you when find a store to buy a new SIM card. In 2011 we walked for miles around Madrid trying to find a Vodafone store. When we finally found one there was a long queue, so we were given a ticket and told to return in about 30 minutes. When we went back and it was out turn, we were told that we needed our passport to buy a sim card, which we didn't have with us :-( You also need a passport to buy a phone.

Personally, I probably would have spent the extra money to retain the same EU phone number throughout my trip (I'm assuming it wasn't an outrageous extra cost). I'm not saying your choice was bad but I am trying to indicate what might end up being a non-obvious problem for others.
A good point.
One thing to consider, when we want to get connected on the Camino, is that maybe it is good not to get too connected...
I was working back then but on long leave, so I didn't want professional calls. I just told my immediate family the new number and we Skyped to stay in touch.
Any work query could come by email and be read when I chose, I was supporting my team leaders but didn't want to get involved in the operational time frame from a very different time zone. Some customers would say "but Richard promised this .." as a try on, it was good for the team to be able to say "Ok will will check with Richard" and these all went away. I could provide old info or background I hadn't included in the briefings I gave them but my intention was to get away and push the team leads forward. They did very well, no one is indispensible.
The wider circle of friends and family would ring the land line in the house and family could relay any news I needed (back then we still had a land line!).
Going to a new country where they speak a different language was very liberating, getting a new phone number with a very restricted set of callers was good too.

Hi - I am not sure if this applies to France - but a couple of years back I travelled with my grandson and we bought a sim in Portugal but the minute we crossed the Spanish border we had no more connection - a lesson well learnt but we were able to buy a new one in the next town. I never knew this was how it worked - but now I do!!! Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought an Orange card in Barcelona in 2019 and used it for both voice and data in France for a few days. I returned to Spain so I can't tell you anything about topping the card off outside Spain.

There are already a number of responses to this that clearly indicate that this is quite uncertain. My most recent experience in Europe is that this only works if you register your SIM by identifying yourself. The SIM provider I used did offer a mechanism of doing that using a Swedish bank account, which I didn't have, or going to one of their company outlets, which was impractical once I learned that they weren't going to support the SIM once I had entered Norway. I reverted to using a Norse SIM that I had purchased on a previous trip at a company outlet where I had identified myself with my passport.

Most recently for travel in the UK, my wife decided to have SIMs delivered before we left Oz because we were uncertain about how long we might be in isolation on arrival, and needed to have a working phone as soon as we were in country.

In this case we used an Australian provider of overseas SIMs, SimCorner, although I am confident there will be others doing this. If you do visit their website, you will find that they market a range of SIMs, some of which can only be used in the specific country they are purchased for, while others can be used across Europe, the UK and elsewhere. Be careful to read the FAQs, because there are some limitations that might not suit everyone that would need to be addressed.

Rather than go by people’s most recent experiences (mostly pre-COV) and over a stretch of years in which rules changes and experiences changed, try referring to this: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_653
Sometimes documents refer to EU citizens, but that’s just sloppiness — they really mean a person residing in the EU for a period of time who buys a cellular plan in one EU country and then travels in another.
These rules applied when I was in Portugal in 2019 and bought my SIM there. One price, same data plan application in Spain or POrtugal… and just to be on the safe side I topped up my phone plan before I left Valenca.
I’m not sure about the different plans available on tourist SIM cards now…. But I did find that the 30-day package with either Vodafone or Orange were equally robust and reliable. I’ve been using one form or another of EU cell plan since 2007, and yes… you *must* take your passport with you because the rules are that you are operating a small personal broadcast device and it comes with a license (kind of like the soda stream you might have at home comes with a canister operator’s license).
Anyway, that link was the most comprehensive I could find for current regulations, and the benefits and principles behind it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rather than go by people’s most recent experiences (mostly pre-COV) and over a stretch of years in which rules changes and experiences changed, try referring to this: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_653
The link @Faye Walker provided here is to a press release from Feb 21 about the proposed policy that will come into effect on 1 Jul 22. Agreement to the new policy was announced on 9 Dec 21. The current roaming policy that applies up to then can be found here and the formal announcement of the policy that will be in place from 1 Jul 22 is here. There appear to be additional details in the formal announcement of the policy than in the proposed policy press release, but I think they mainly address supplier issues.

ps, the current rules have been in place unchanged since 2017. The new rules will apply for 10 years. They don't/won't change that often.

Last edited:
Don't forget to take your passport with you when find a store to buy a new SIM card. In 2011 we walked for miles around Madrid trying to find a Vodafone store. When we finally found one there was a long queue, so we were given a ticket and told to return in about 30 minutes. When we went back and it was out turn, we were told that we needed our passport to buy a sim card, which we didn't have with us :-( You also need a passport to buy a phone.
This is 100% correct - must bring your passport to buy a SIM card.

We were in Spain in 2018 and 2019 and got a Orange & Vodaphone SIM cards.

I take 2 phones with me as I normally carry for work and personal:
My personal is T Mobile and works relatively good in Europe (albeit slow data speeds) without changing phone numbers.
My work is a Verizon (unlocked) and will get a Euro SIM card when traveling and then use the phone as a personal hotspot to share with my family.

This is 100% correct - must bring your passport to buy a SIM card.
It is possible to buy a SIM card in many places without a passport, but my experience is that it becomes very difficult to 'register' the SIM. What I found was that the SIM then only worked in the country where it was purchased. Moreover, if you don't register it at the time of purchase, there is no guarantee that it will be easy or even possible to do so later. The company that I used required a national bank account as proof of identity for their on-line registration, something I didn't have, and had no bricks and mortar presence in the area I was walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is possible to buy a SIM card in many places without a passport, but my experience is that it becomes very difficult to 'register' the SIM. What I found was that the SIM then only worked in the country where it was purchased. Moreover, if you don't register it at the time of purchase, there is no guarantee that it will be easy or even possible to do so later. The company that I used required a national bank account as proof of identity for their on-line registration, something I didn't have, and had no bricks and mortar presence in the area I was walking.
When we bought ours originally in Spain with a passport, we were able to enjoy continued use thru: UK, France, and Italy.
The only issue was data speeds varied depending on which country we were in.
Can't complain because the T Mobile with US SIM was slower than the Euro SIM....

When we bought ours originally in Spain with a passport, we were able to enjoy continued use thru: UK, France, and Italy.
And I would recommend this approach if you want to roam through the EC countries. I haven't kept abreast of how the UK will be treated in future, but at present it is possible in Australia to pre-purchase a SIM that will work across the UK and EC.
The only issue was data speeds varied depending on which country we were in.
This is addressed in the new EC policy on roaming. It appears that you should be able to get the same level of data service that you have in your 'home' country - which for us would be the home country of the SIM! As I read the policy statement, carriers shouldn't bump you onto a lower bandwidth data service when you are roaming. How well this will be implemented is clearly still untested, but it does seem like a positive move for those of us who are a bit data hungry!

I'm from Canada and in 2019 I bought a Vodafone tourist deal at the airport in Porto. When I told the salesman that I was walking to Spain he checked my phone settings and turned on roaming. In Canada I am near the US border so I always have roaming turned off so my phone won't connect to US cell towers and then charge me international rates. If he hadn't turned on roaming my Portuguese data would not have worked in Spain. Just another thing to check when travelling around Europe.

€149,-
I have appreciated all your responses. What I will do in Barcelona when I arrive is most likely get an ORANGE SIM, and be sure to indicate that I am traveling to France and Switzerland and will need a more comprehensive plan. I will make sure my Roaming Feature is turned on, and I will ask how I can top off minutes . Keep the comments coming, please.

What I will do in Barcelona when I arrive is most likely get an ORANGE SIM, and be sure to indicate that I am traveling to France and Switzerland and will need a more comprehensive plan. I will make sure my Roaming Feature is turned on, and I will ask how I can top off minutes . Keep the comments coming, please.
Okay. Orange has a big store near the Parallel Metro station. I mention this because after you are done there you can walk just a couple blocks to Sant Pau del Camp, a Romanesque monastery. A few euros will get you admittance and for a few more you can buy a credencial.

And if you are still in the area in the evening the Barcelona tapas street is Carrer Blai, a short walk away.

For lodging see the rent thread

Orange Partener

Last edited:
Okay. Orange has a big store near the Parallel Metro station. I mention this because after you are done there you can walk just a couple blocks to Sant Pau del Camp, a Romanesque monastery. A few euros will get you admittance and for a few more you can buy a credencial.

And if you are still in the area in the evening the Barcelona tapas street is Carrer Blai, a short walk away.

For lodging see the rent thread

Orange Partener
Not only have you furnished my with the Orange location but TAPAs as well. I just love this forum!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Suzanne A , I purchased my Spanish Orange SIM from Amazon delivered in advance to Canada. I was careful to purchase the full featured one and one that could be topped up. It was slightly more expensive but saved me a lot of hassle as I was pre and post Caminoing in France but wanted a Spanish number. I was then able to prepare the account with passport registration etc prior to arrival. Roamed flawlessly with data and voice.

You have to also massage your locally stored contacts and WhatsApp contacts so they have a full number. When you pop in the Spanish sim it won’t like a number like 403-555-1212 , it will want to see a country code so 1-403-555-1212 if you intend to contact someone back home. Best to check essential numbers before leaving.

@Suzanne A , I purchased my Spanish Orange SIM from Amazon delivered in advance to Canada. I was careful to purchase the full featured one and one that could be topped up. It was slightly more expensive but saved me a lot of hassle as I was pre and post Caminoing in France but wanted a Spanish number. I was then able to prepare the account with passport registration etc prior to arrival. Roamed flawlessly with data and voice.

You have to also massage your locally stored contacts and WhatsApp contacts so they have a full number. When you pop in the Spanish sim it won’t like a number like 403-555-1212 , it will want to see a country code so 1-403-555-1212 if you intend to contact someone back home. Best to check essential numbers before leaving.
Bombay Bill will you send the link to which card you purchased? Seems like there are many choices.

Here is the list of country codes. Note that some codes are single digits (like 1 for Canada and the US) to four digits for other places (such as Puerto Rico).

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Absolutely correct and very frustrating! The Orange sim I had purchased in France needed topping up after 3 weeks in Spain and that was impossible to do (outside French territory). I ended up purchasing a Spanish Orange sim for the last 5 days walking into Santiago de Compostella.

Absolutely correct and very frustrating! The Orange sim I had purchased in France needed topping up after 3 weeks in Spain and that was impossible to do (outside French territory). I ended up purchasing a Spanish Orange sim for the last 5 days walking into Santiago de Compostella.
My experience is that it has become easier. You had to purchase the top up from a Tabac or such. It was an error prone experience in 2019. Last year in 2021, it was all done online and in English and very easy.

Thanks, that is good news, as I prepare my upcoming Chemin in May. The previous frustrating experience occurred on the CF in 2018.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My experience is that it has become easier. You had to purchase the top up from a Tabac or such. It was an error prone experience in 2019. Last year in 2021, it was all done online and in English and very easy.
I topped up my Vodafone SIM online in Spain in May 2019.

It is not time that has made things easier, rather the knowledge to choose a SIM plan that allows online top ups.

Warning:
Since you mention Switzerland specifically, note that it is not a member of the EU and some rules of telecoms may not apply. Swiss Telecoms apply their own rules in order to protect their high prices.

The first thing I do when I arrive in Spain is buy a sim - in 2019 I bought a package for 20 Euro. The young man did the whole thing for me - I used my same number and was able to whats up my family and friends and could be in contact with my other pilgrims. I thought it was fabulous and I think I had to buy extra data some time later in the camino. I have been doing this now since 2017 and what a pleasure!!!
Was your phone paid in full? Sprint is telling me my iphone is locked and I would not be allow to add a new SIM card.

€149,-
Was your phone paid in full? Sprint is telling me my iphone is locked and I would not be allow to add a new SIM card.
Unfortunately for you, if your phone is locked and Sprint refuses to unlock it, you won't be able to put a Spanish sim card in it. Canadian cell phones cannot be locked anymore. You need to check the laws in the USA and check your contract with Sprint. I dont know the US laws.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.