• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino in November

Paddybuck08

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking camino in November
Planning on WalKing camino in November..I know it will be pretty cold and wet. Is it doable? Will there be many doing it? Will there be many places open to stay at night. Doing it from South of France across to Santiago. The main trip. Can't wait. So any tips are welcome. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking in November is definitely doable!
Late autumn is a fine time to walk! The days are usually sunny and nights chilly to cold. By December all can be frosty. Late November 2012 I was caught in a true white-out of snow climbing O Cebreiro.

Much accommodation starts to close mid October but some place is always open. Hospitaleros usually can give advice on what is available on the next stage. Happily there are no summer crowds and beds/bunks easy to find. Walking at this time during the past 10 years I have rarely seen more than 20 pilgrims at one time

For more personal comments regarding walking during late autumn/winter see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Late autumn is a fine time to walk! The days are usually sunny and nights chilly to cold. By December all can be frosty. Late November 2012 I was caught in a true white-out of snow climbing O Cebreiro.

Much accommodation starts to close mid October but some place is always open. Hospitaleros usually can give advice on what is available on the next stage. Happily there are no summer crowds and beds/bunks easy to find. Walking at this time during the past 10 years I have rarely seen more than 20 pilgrims at one time

For more personal comments regarding walking during late autumn/winter see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

Thanks for advice.

Hi Paddy
Not only doable....way better than summer IMO. I left SJPP 13 November last year and finished Santiago 17 December. In 2017, general daytime temperatures 2-10 degrees max. Worst day -6 coming out of Burgos and again O'Cebreiro. Snow in Roncesvalles and O'Cebreiro. Went Valcarlos route of course as Napoleon closed. If it got too bad on the Camino itself with snow, slippery rocks, mud etc, walk on the road for a while - there weren't many cars about. About 10-15 pilgrims in Albergues each night, and many places had Hostals open as well. Never got stuck on any day for somewhere to stay. Gronze.com and Bookings.com invaluable, and almost every cafe/albergues/hostal has wifi. Most days were sunny, about 5 days of rain whole Camino, and struck snow twice (which was fantastic). Watching the Christmas trees go up in each town as you get further into December also a treat. And you have the Camino pretty much to yourself. Some days you may have to struggle the whole day without a coffee but that wasn't often. Make sure you have some water, apples and muesli bars for those days when not many cafes open. But when you do find an open one, it will be welcoming, will be warm inside, and have hot food. I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending a November and December Camino Frances. It was full of highlights and a wonderful personal experience. Be hardy, rug up, and get out there.......Buen Camino.

It's a great time of year to walk the Camino. Sure it will be wet and chilly at times, but that is part of the adventure. Take several light layers including long underwear, rain gear, gloves, buff, beanie hat, maybe a puffy down or synthetic jacket or vest. A few suggestions...
  • Long underwear can be your sleeping clothes and available for an extra layer if it is really cold in the day time. However, I prefer to pull rain pants over my walking pants if I need a second layer.
  • The down jacket or vest would be mainly used for the evenings and to supplement a light sleeping bag.
  • Probably a light merino shirt plus a second light-medium shirt under the rain jacket would be enough for walking in virtually all conditions.
  • Always keep one layer of clothes dry for the evening.
Have fun!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is good information. I'll be finishing the Arlés route and joining the Frances sometime in mid-late October. I plan to carry both a silk liner and a 500 gram down blanket that is large enough to form to a sleeping bag using Velcro strips. I'm hoping that this combination will be warm enough with my extra clothes to sleep in. Expect to walk well into November. Thanks for the information!

Planning on WalKing camino in November..I know it will be pretty cold and wet. Is it doable? Will there be many doing it? Will there be many places open to stay at night. Doing it from South of France across to Santiago. The main trip. Can't wait. So any tips are welcome. Thanks

HI Paddybuck08, I am going to be mine in Nov 2018- I would love to share thoughts/ideas/notes on the getting prepared and walking the Camino...

Love to hear back!

Buen Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, all, for the good information about walking in November. I have walked the Camino Frances several times, but never in November. I will be a hospitalera in Salamanca for the last two weeks of October, then I will take a train on Nov.1 to Logroño and walk to Ponferrada (~3 weeks). I am looking forward to the adventure and the challenge of volunteering in a new-to-me albergue and city, and walking the CF in November weather with limited accommodations.

It was 36 degrees on the Meseta yesterday, between Burgos and Leon, and I think that's low against what its been. November/December walking looking better all the time! I know which one I'd prefer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@High Endeavours take care with the velcro on your down quilt as it rips the silk of the liner. After a bit of experimenting I found sewing on some large metal snaps was the best solution.

Hi Paddy and Earther..... I’m also hoping to start my first Camino Frances November sometime from 8-14th can’t decide. So scared for the cold and wet weather and possibly not getting into an Albergue at night. I’m travelling alone from oz . Looking forward and so nervously excited to get started - see you there

I’m so glad to know there’s quite a few pilgrims walking even late November and into December. I’m planning to walk CF (SJPdP-SDC and weather permitting continue on to Finisterre-Muxía) but kind of hesitant. I plan to start Oct. 9/10 - hope to meet other pilgrims along the way.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello, I am walking the Camino Frances from early November too. Excited but butterflies are starting to kick in. My friend, a veteran Peregrino just walked to Rome from UK and he told me he always gets nervous before heading off so that is a relief. Anyway, Buen Camino all and maybe we might meet along the way.

Your blog is incredible and has a wealth of information and personal reflection. Thank you

This is good information. I'll be finishing the Arlés route and joining the Frances sometime in mid-late October. I plan to carry both a silk liner and a 500 gram down blanket that is large enough to form to a sleeping bag using Velcro strips. I'm hoping that this combination will be warm enough with my extra clothes to sleep in. Expect to walk well into November. Thanks for the information!

Have you joined the Francés? I started today Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles and now sitting in the sun enjoying a clara.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you joined the Francés? I started today Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles and now sitting in the sun enjoying a clara.
yes I arrived a couple of days ago. Now in Los Arcos also enjoying a nice glass of vino tinto! It’s supposed to get much colder this weekend!! Yikes! Stay safe and of course have lots of fun. I’m surprised how many are here still walking.

Paddy there will be at least 2 paddys on the Camino at that time :) I am starting Oct 26 th from SJPdeP.walking to Pamplona,then bus to Naverette as I did that stretch last year.then I walk as far as Burgus where I finish.I would love to do it all in one go but I can't unfortunately.Wishing you a Buen Camino!

@Paddybuck08
I have walked camino routes in October-November for the last three years. On one camino, on Nov. 15, a day short of Santiago, I did have a hard time finding a bed. Otherwise, no problems. And it was not wet on any of my walks: very little rain, easily managed with my rain gear. Of course, I can give you no guarantees on this. Buen camino.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
https://www.europapress.es/…/noticia-noviembre-cerrara-paso…

The Route Napoleon from St Jean to Roncesvalles will close on 1 November.
Although this route has been closed for the past 4 years at this time, interventions in this area by rescue personnel persist, motivated many times by lack of information and preparation of pilgrims, given the difficulty of this route. The situation is especially serious in winter, with very difficult conditions for rescues, including life-threatening situations for rescue teams due to the topography and climatology of the area and the great difficulties of access, location and evacuation.

Thanks, all, for the good information about walking in November. I have walked the Camino Frances several times, but never in November. I will be a hospitalera in Salamanca for the last two weeks of October, then I will take a train on Nov.1 to Logroño and walk to Ponferrada (~3 weeks). I am looking forward to the adventure and the challenge of volunteering in a new-to-me albergue and city, and walking the CF in November weather with limited accommodations.

Hope you are enjoying being a Hospitalera in Salamanca. It's a small albergue in a great location. The garden next door is lively. I asked to be there during the first two weeks in January then changed my mind when they needed someone in Ponferrada (where I have volunteered before). I was afraid that I would have no pilgrims that time of year along the Plata.

Who.knows, maybe our paths will cross. I am now in Pamplona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Given my work (tourism-related) Nov-Feb is the only time of year I can walk. I'm starting my second CF mid-November and while I've no warm weather experience to compare it with, my first autumn Camino experience was undiluted pleasure, even the trek through the snow past the Cruz de Fierro. No worries, compañeros.

Hello!I am going to CF in November too
I am ready start to Burgos in 09\11, don't know how cold there

Hello!I am going to CF in November too
I am ready start to Burgos in 09\11, don't know how cold there
It will be a high of 3 when I walk through there this Sunday. Bring your woollies!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It will be a high of 3 when I walk through there this Sunday. Bring your woollies!

I cant image how cold is it! I live in south China and i never feel that cold!
Also i want to ask how cold inside the door? I only have very simple sleeping bad and i afraid i will feel cold when i am sleep

Also i want to ask how cold inside the door? I only have very simple sleeping bad and i afraid i will feel cold when i am sleep

Almost every albergue will have blankets available for you to use as well as your sleeping bag. I really would make sure that you ask whether the albergue has heating on the whole time though. Some cannot afford to keep it very warm. At this time of year, and in that particularly cold pocket of Spain, I would check out the temperature inside the albergue before committing to stay there.

Almost every albergue will have blankets available for you to use as well as your sleeping bag. I really would make sure that you ask whether the albergue has heating on the whole time though. Some cannot afford to keep it very warm. At this time of year, and in that particularly cold pocket of Spain, I would check out the temperature inside the albergue before committing to stay there.

Thanks for u suggestions,i will be ready!

Hi to all, I too will be starting my Camino on November 19th from Pamplona. Looking forward to lonely walks and picturesque landscapes.

Started Nov.2 and walked from Burgos to Fromista with friends, then took a train to Logrono to start walking on my own. Spent the first night in Navarrete. Only problem so far was that some albergues that were listed as open at this time were closed...I ended up in a nice hotel here for two days to recover from a stomach bug contracted after two days in Fromista (that’s a different thread). Starting off this morning for Najera under clear skies and cool temperatures. I hope November walking continues with good weather and wonderful landscapes.

Only problem so far was that some albergues that were listed as open at this time were closed.
Standard operating procedure. Do not believe the internet. Call ahead unless you like wandering at the end of the day! Have fun. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes-walking now to Lorca and it seems many of the albergues in the small villages closed- calling ahead seems an excellent suggestion.

Walked the CF this year in April/May, then again in August/September and am now seriously thinking of one more starting end November through to year end. Lived in Sweden for many years so know about cold, snow and mountains in wintertime. They say there's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes !
Christmas is not a good time of the year for me so don't really care where I'll be - just so long as there's a warm and welcoming Albergue somewhere around Sarria. Would be fun to arrive in SDC on or just before New Year's Eve. Anyone else out there as mad as I am ?

Currently in Los Arcos. So far no problems finding accommodation at all. The weather's fine and I'm finding life on the Camino perfect: not crowded at all but plenty of company if you want it. Just great at this time of year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have now booked my ticket to Biarritz for Nov 30th and arrive SJPDP later that evening.
Will depart early next day, December 1st bound for Roncesvalles via Valcarlos as the Napoleon route is now closed.
Aiming for Pamplona December 3rd (weather permitting) and thereafter well, I'll just have to see how it goes....here's hoping that I'm not the only 'loco peregrino' on the road in the merry month of December :eek:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Burn Camino,I did St,Jean to Pamplona late October ,then Naverette to Borgus into early November ,a good few were on the road

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
So at Fonsagrada now. Magnificent Albergue, I think Beatrice recommended it Really comfy. The Cantabrico Albergue, get the feeling the owner lives upstairs. Warm and welcoming. Classy kitchen with excellent facilities. Top rate.
And boy oh boy has it just turned icicles. It was grand up to yesterday. Like 17* + not at all cold...I think I’m sunburnt, But then it started to rain over night, took off from worst Albergue In Berducedo.. That will be the outstanding wooden spooner where the lights kept going off when you turned something on, and damp with mould. The guys stuffed pillows where the windows have lost putty and were rattling with the wind. Then on to the next fabulous municipale at Grandas de Salime which was outstanding in comparison. So no problem with open Albergues on Primitvio....loved the Monastery at Cornulana, May have p/o the dude who came to open the gate when ...my walking poles fell between the rails of the ( I didn’t know it was a sliding gate) opening gate. He just pushed something and whooshka my bag and poles went and grrrrr, jammed the gate so then it wouldn’t open and wouldn’t close - and you could barely squeeze past 😏. Gordon Bennett!!!!! After a lot of wiggling and squirming and about 40 mins later.manegled poles emerged 🙄. Alls well. Buen Camino

Hope you are enjoying being a Hospitalera in Salamanca. It's a small albergue in a great location. The garden next door is lively. I asked to be there during the first two weeks in January then changed my mind when they needed someone in Ponferrada (where I have volunteered before). I was afraid that I would have no pilgrims that time of year along the Plata.

Who.knows, maybe our paths will cross. I am now in Pamplona.

Whats the reports of the Albergue in Salamanca being closed. In 2017 it was the worst run albergue i ever stayed in

Have now booked my ticket to Biarritz for Nov 30th and arrive SJPDP later that evening.
Will depart early next day, December 1st bound for Roncesvalles via Valcarlos as the Napoleon route is now closed.
Aiming for Pamplona December 3rd (weather permitting) and thereafter well, I'll just have to see how it goes....here's hoping that I'm not the only 'loco peregrino' on the road in the merry month of December :eek:
Hi Tigermike,
You'll probably already be past by this time, but Phil and I will be at Granon from Dec 16-31. Buen Camino!
Janet

Hi Janet
Thanks for your post.
All being well I should be in Granon on December 9 - will the 'Bell Tower' be open ?
Have stayed there twice this year - great place and atmosphere :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My understanding is that it is always open and you will be welcomed.

That's good to hear, thank you.
Do you, or anyone, have any idea how many other pilgrims might be on The Way in December through Christmas ?

There is a good thread by Syates about a winter Camino on the CF two years ago. You might search for it. Last year on the Via de la Plata we only had one or two pilgrims a night and sometimes we had no pilgrims. I think the CF will be a little busier, but nothing like spring, summer, or fall.

Hello,
I will departure from SJPP on 8 Th of Nov and I’m wondering how to prepare my gear, especially my jacket.
i will bring one water-proof Jacket, purchased from Decathlon bu I’m not sure I have to bring another light-down jacket or just another bottom jacket inside.
is there any one able to advise me ?
I expect the weather will be 5-13 degree Celsius. Heavy down jacket seems too much.

I would take a synthetic fleece or synthetic lightweight puffy jacket. Wear layers which you can shed. You can always wear a rain coat over the jacket.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.