• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles and Marmite

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I came across this article about the pros and cons of walking with poles: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=8837. It has some useful guidance about using poles and on different techniques for different types of terrain.

After many years of walking without poles, I became a firm (pacer) pole convert last year. I now can't imagine walking without them, but the suggestion about not using them all of the time probably makes sense.

For those not familiar with the world of Marmite (point no.5) - the reference is to the 'love it or hate it' ads for this vile substance :) A bit like hiking with poles - some love it, some hate it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was the Marmite that got me to click on the thread, not the poles--thinking you had information about where to find it in Spain.
I'm a pole fan, but almost threw them away for the first few hours of walking with them. Hate turned to love. Just like Marmite. You just have to have an open mind sometimes.......;)
Great resource, Nuala, thanks!

Last edited:
My friend and I are Nordic walkers so the poles are a little different from walking poles. We took our Nordic poles every time when we walked the CF in stages over the years. Sometimes we used the poles and sometimes we just carried them. They were useful on long stretches of flat terrain and got us into a good walking rhythm. Going up and down steep hills / mountains they provided stability. I wouldn't say that we were really using Nordic walking techniques all the time but using our poles definitely helped us.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was the Marmite that got me to click on the thread, not the poles--thinking you had information about where to find it in Span.
I'm a pole fan, but almost threw them away for the first few hours of walking with them. Hate turned to love. Just like Marmite. You have to have an open mind sometimes.......;)
I got some at the vegetarian albergue El Serbal y La Luna, in Pieros. Very nice friendly place. They have a wood burner too, which was great after a long walk in the rain.

I got some at the vegetarian albergue El Serbal y La Luna, in Pieros. Very nice friendly place. They have a wood burner too, which was great after a long walk in the rain.

Check! Hope to stay here too next year. Although it is not my intention but if possible I like to stop at other albergues than the other times I walked the Frances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had done the CF before without trekking poles, and never had a problem and really didn't care for them, with all that click-clack noise they make and such.
On my last CF I overdid it the first few days and strained the ACL in my left knee (damn, I don't ever want to do that again....never). In Puente la Reina picked up a pair of trekker poles for 24 euros. Those cheap poles saved me arse on the CF. Got me to Santiago. I'm a bit of a convert.
As far as Marmite? I worked overseas for several years and a lot of our security guys were Kiwis. Of course some of them had Marmite. Tried it once on toast. Ummm, not a convert. ha ha

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Marmite is probably against TSA security regulations. ;)
Actually you are close to the mark - its the FDA (Food Drug Agriculture) people who "look" at it. For us Aussies they are reported as being anti our mandatory travel food Vegimite!!

I love Marmite, loathe Vegemite, and despite a number of trials I find walking with twin trekking poles is far more trouble than they are worth. I'm more than happy to accept that other people feel the opposite on every point and wish them well with their preferences.

I am a total convert... The first time I walked Camino, in 2009, I had recently recovered from a very traumatic and damaging fall. I found the extra stability reassuring. I did find it necessary to overcome feeling like a "wally" using them, (especially in training in suburban Liverpool :)). Now I would never walk without them. I from time to time carry them in my hand, folded down, walking through a town, or on long stretch of tarmac. I found it well worth the slight extra to get carbon fibre poles some time ago. They are extremely light. The clack-clack noise (of others!) annoys me and I do carry rubber tips (and spares) for using on the tarmac or concrete. I think they are about €3 for a pair at Decathlon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am a total convert... The first time I walked Camino, in 2009, I had recently recovered from a very traumatic and damaging fall. I found the extra stability reassuring. I did find it necessary to overcome feeling like a "wally" using them, (especially in training in suburban Liverpool :)). Now I would never walk without them. I from time to time carry them in my hand, folded down, walking through a town, or on long stretch of tarmac. I found it well worth the slight extra to get carbon fibre poles some time ago. They are extremely light. The clack-clack noise (of others!) annoys me and I do carry rubber tips (and spares) for using on the tarmac or concrete. I think they are about €3 for a pair at Decathlon.
Yes, I would often stop using the trekking poles when I got to a town and a long stretch of concrete, and carry them instead.
I didn't have any, but ditto on carrying extra rubber tips. I would say for a CF from SJPdP to SDC, two extra sets of rubber tips.

Just make sure you check them in your bag. My poles were confiscated in Madrid when I landed. Had to buy replacement poles along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@DanielH: Wow, bummer. You were able to get the poles through TSA but they were confiscated when you landed? A new wrinkle...
And another reason to be play it safe no matter what the official security message is where the flight begins.

Just make sure you check them in your bag. My poles were confiscated in Madrid when I landed. Had to buy replacement poles along the way.
Confiscated after arrival in Madrid? That really is strange and makes no sense that they did that. I mean, they are not illegal to buy and own in Spain, and you can buy another set there. Take your poles upon arrival, yet you can buy another set at the nearest outdoor store?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
maybe they were setting an example for when people ignore TSA regulations. Maybe Spain, like the US, prohibits poles in the cabin. I assume he was changing flights in Madrid

I thought I would have absolutely no use for poles, but I trusted the wisdom of @Tia Valeria and took a pair. I only used them on the snow, ice, and mud...but I saw a lot of the first two on the Frances, and even more of the last on the Norte and Primitivo. Once on the road they went back in the pack. For the mud, they were really useful to judge just how deep it was, and help balance as I tried to skirt around in the more shallow ends.

http://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas.com/eng/regulations-hand-luggage.htm
Spain is more vague than the US (which specifically says no hiking poles)--but says if they think it could be used to threaten anyone, or has a sharp point, it cannot be taken into the cabin.
yes, yes, I know many of you have. and sometimes you loose your $200 poles or miss your flight. easy choice

@DanielH: Wow, bummer. You were able to get the poles through TSA but they were confiscated when you landed? A new wrinkle...
And another reason to be play it safe no matter what the official security message is where the flight begins.
TSA in Dallas didn't stop me from carrying in my backpack. I had a connection in Madrid. They said I could not carry poles in my backpack. They said I could check them but I didn't have time for that so they kept the poles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It seems very odd to me. Where did they confiscate them on landing - as you walked off the plane, through immigration, or what? Or do you mean that they were not allowed on the next flight?
Yes they we're not allowed on the connecting flight

I'm very sorry it happened to @DanielH, who may have been unaware of TSA rules (or may have believed what is written on the forum). Sometimes people get lucky and they don't get stopped. But if they are stopped, they will have to check their poles (and possibly miss a flight) or leave them at the checkpoint. It appears Spain has a similar rule (though vague...TSA is clear). I think before flying it is prudent to check the official government page for your country's airport security, and for Spain, to be sure you know the latest rules.
and before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I said TSA, and check your own country...but in the current example, it was a US flight, and Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They said I could check them but I didn't have time for that so they kept the poles
I'm sorry this happened to you, Daniel.
As @Smallestsparrow says...the rules are not uniform internationally, so word to the wise.
BTW, does anyone know what happens to all those poles that get confiscated at the airport in Santiago? They could probably set up a shop with the number of sets they take off naive homeward-bound peregrinos.

As @Smallestsparrow says...the rules are not uniform internationally, so word to the wise.
BTW, does anyone know what happens to all those poles that get confiscated at the airport in Santiago? They could probably set up a shop with the number of sets they take off naive homeward-bound peregrinos.
I don't know about Spain...though I would guess it is similar to this
http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/09/what-happens-to-your-prohibited-items.html

or this (funnier)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...9fc192-9768-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

Sometimes people get lucky and they don't get stopped... in the current example, it was a US flight,

The current example was a connecting flight from Madrid, not "a US flight." Saying that "sometimes people get lucky" and "TSA is clear" does not accurately reflect what I have read on the forum.:mad:

Certainly people should be prepared for having poles rejected as carry-on on any flight, although many people have carried them without problems. There is not much more information that we can accurately add, and the discussion can get a bit heated!

Excuse me while I go untie my panties.:p:eek:

P.S. It was the juxtaposition of poles and marmite that brought me to this thread.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The current example was a connecting flight from Madrid, not "a US flight." Saying that "sometimes people get lucky" and "TSA is clear" does not accurately reflect what I have read on the forum.:mad:

Certainly people should be prepared for having poles rejected as carry-on on any flight, although many people have carried them without problems. There is not much more information that we can accurately add, and the discussion can get a bit heated!

Excuse me while I go untie my panties.:p:eek:

P.S. It was the juxtaposition of poles and marmite that brought me to this thread.

the flight connected through Madrid, originated in the US,where poles are prohibited. Had he followed the very clear TSA policy (hiking poles only in checked baggage) he would not have run into a problem with Spain's somewhat vague guidance (no objects that could be used as a weapon or have a sharp point). He got lucky, as some have, and got them past TSA --perhaps he mistakenly believed what many write on the forum, that it is OK to take poles past TSA security (which it is not, but has been successfully done--two very different things). I don't know what Canada says. I do know what the US and Spain say. I trust TSA and Spain's websites more than this forum--some choose to believe the forum, perhaps because it is what they want to hear. People can ignore TSA guidance, or that of any other country they will fly through, at the risk of missed flights or lost poles.

I also looked at this because I had no idea what marmite was, but mostly because I like @NualaOC's posts.

The first time I used poles was during a couple of practice hikes before the Camino. I have Pacer Poles, which I love. They feel so natural, and there really wasn't much of a learning curve. One thing that I really liked about using poles was that they kept my hands from swelling as I walked. I kept my rubber tips on all the time. No click clacking from me!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I always use one pole and love Marmite.....

Just my 2 cents...

I saw on the Primitivo everyone with poles and I started off with no clacking sound because of the rubber tip. That tip was gone on day 8 and the clicking started but I liked it...grin.

I came across this article about the pros and cons of walking with poles: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=8837. It has some useful guidance about using poles and on different techniques for different types of terrain.

After many years of walking without poles, I became a firm (pacer) pole convert last year. I now can't imagine walking without them, but the suggestion about not using them all of the time probably makes sense.

For those not familiar with the world of Marmite (point no.5) - the reference is to the 'love it or hate it' ads for this vile substance :) A bit like hiking with poles - some love it, some hate it.
I read the article a couple of times. Good stuff. Thanks. But the type of walking discussed is different to what for some is a crazy marathon called Camino. Relatively short walks in admittedly varied and challenging terrain as described in this hiking article is one thing. Plodding on for weeks on end was a unique challenge for me and seemingly for many others whose posts I've read. There are very many stories here about persevering beyond the call of duty into pain territory. Even the mighty Mark Lee had to soldier on after damaging his knee. Props, Mark.

I had some problems before I left for my CF earlier this year. Maybe I was lucky because I was already in damage control mode before I left. I decided that the 10% or more effort reportedly transferred to the upper body through walking poles was worth the minimisation of wear and tear on feet, ankles, joints over the long run. That, it seems to me is the key phrase - "over the long run".

There are posts here by folks who say "Just buy a pair of sandals and go, you'll be fine", or "Tried poles for 10 minutes, meh." Best of luck to those people. No doubt they'll turn up in a movie beside Iron Man very soon, but a lot of us are merely human. And, BTW, I always turn off when I get a few words into a post which doesn't acknowledge that we are all different.

I find/found the noise from shock absorbers to be EXTREMELY irritating. They do that little sproingy/squeeky thing ALL THE TIME. Like every step you're stomping on a small metal animal. In the sunny stillness of glorious Galicia, that fingernail-on-the-blackboard sound beside me made me feel like my eyeballs were rusting/jamming. I made some great new friends while walking, keep in touch with some. They all used clackety-sproinky poles. Plinky-choinky on cobble stones must drive locals NUTS early on a weekend morning! I use large rubber studded tips, no sprinky-cloinky. When I first got my carbon, shock-absorber-less poles 3 years ago, I got one jammed in a gap between boards on a footbridge in the bush near where I live. Tip stayed, I kept going, tip bent. Fixed it, but on CF my studded rubber knobs didn't fit between paving stones or bridge boards, so never got stuck. And they're nice and quiet. I won't be getting a cobble stone bouncing off the back of my head any time soon.

Edit: Another thing about my rubber pole tips. They tried to stop me boarding in Dubai with my poles sticking out of my carry-on pack. I argued, said look at these big smooshy rubber tips, not dangerous. They had a closer look, let me board.

Buen Camino, If I can hear you coming, bringin' yer sproingy-winky, I'll smile. But not on the inside.

Oh, and Marmite. Yeah. Here in Australia, visitors are often given Vegemite (same as Marmite, shut up) to taste. Especially on TV. One of the great joys of my life was seeing Tom Cruise get Vegemite on his teeth while his eyes were not smiling. I'll tell you how they make Marmite: Take a jar of salt and add some black gloop you scrape off the bottom of a flower pot.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I had done the CF before without trekking poles, and never had a problem and really didn't care for them, with all that click-clack noise they make and such.
On my last CF I overdid it the first few days and strained the ACL in my left knee (damn, I don't ever want to do that again....never). In Puente la Reina picked up a pair of trekker poles for 24 euros. Those cheap poles saved me arse on the CF. Got me to Santiago. I'm a bit of a convert.
As far as Marmite? I worked overseas for several years and a lot of our security guys were Kiwis. Of course some of them had Marmite. Tried it once on toast. Ummm, not a convert. ha ha
On my CF I used Mueller knee straps across both ACLs every day as recommended by a friend. One time, rushing a descent to Molinaseca in a rocky gully as it was getting dark, I twisted my leg, sharp pain in shin bone at the end of the twist, but pretty sure I avoided a break or a knee twist by that much. Glad I had poles and the knee straps. I had visited Caminoteca in Pamplona on the way by. He sold the larger above-and-below-knee stretchy braces, but not the ones I used. He said mine were better but nobody used them. Like the lady sang "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I brought Marmite with me to Spain in my carry on (decanted into a small plastic container in my liquids bag). I still have a bit, although I am almost to Santiago. There was no trouble getting that through security, but a very odd incident with another item. I brought a small plastic knife to spread butter and had it confiscated with the comment that I could get another at a coffee shop inside the security area.

I always use one pole and love Marmite.....

Just my 2 cents...

I saw on the Primitivo everyone with poles and I started off with no clacking sound because of the rubber tip. That tip was gone on day 8 and the clicking started but I liked it...grin.
My rubber tips lasted from Saint Jean to Finesterre!

thank you. I definitely would recommend checking your bag if you want to take poles. My next call is to REI as to why $150 poles were able to be replaced with 18 Euro poles that were just as good. LOL. Lesson learned

:DPlease let us know what they said.:D
(Well, you got 2 lessons for the price of one--the second of which you'd never have learned without the first.
But boy, that's an expensive couple of lessons. I hope you weren't too attached to the set they took away...)

On my CF I used Mueller knee straps across both ACLs every day as recommended by a friend. One time, rushing a descent to Molinaseca in a rocky gully as it was getting dark, I twisted my leg, sharp pain in shin bone at the end of the twist, but pretty sure I avoided a break or a knee twist by that much. Glad I had poles and the knee straps. I had visited Caminoteca in Pamplona on the way by. He sold the larger above-and-below-knee stretchy braces, but not the ones I used. He said mine were better but nobody used them. Like the lady sang "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

Mike
That's the same brand I have, and I did carry one of the singular strap variety with me on the CF and ended up using it after I strained my ACL. Sometimes it seemed to help, sometimes not.
I now have both the single strap and the double strap type. Are these what you use?
p304606b.jpg zqb-21348_1z.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You think Marmite a 'vile substance'?
Remarkable, quite remarkable. :rolleyes:

That's the same brand I have, and I did carry one of the singular strap variety with me on the CF and ended up using it after I strained my ACL. Sometimes it seemed to help, sometimes not.
I now have both the single strap and the double strap type. Are these what you use?
View attachment 30079 View attachment 30080
I used two of the single strap type (left). As far as I know, the single ones are used mainly as a preventative measure, though not certain about that. I met a few people who were using the double strap type - but they were all being used on previously damaged knees. The single was surprisingly comfortable. In the beginning I expected this type to maybe hinder circulation, but by the end of each day I had forgotten I was wearing them. They're velcro-adjustable, as you know. When you've got them on, it's obvious how they hold the ACL from moving out of alignment. I expect the single type might be uncomfortable on a damaged knee because all its pressure goes right across the ACL.

Edit: For those not familiar with these straps, the single has a rubber sausage-like insert which applies pressure in a narrow band across the ACL. The double is all flat stretchy bits which spread the pressure and mainly brace the whole knee joint. Each type is velcro-adjustable.

I'm pretty sure I avoided injury by using these straps, will never walk without them in future.

Thanks, @NualaOC for the article.
and to everyone using poles on the Camino pleeeaasee take note of point 13:
When walking in a group with the poles held idly in your hands, take care not to spear your friends. This goes double on steep ascents, when your stray pole tips may be waving around at face height and present a genuine risk to those coming up behind.

I was forced into some nifty sword work at times to prevent a chance pole in the face or shin.

Now... not Marmite but Vegemite, an Australian institution for over 90 years. Even our Olympic athletes had their own personalised tubes at Rio. Unfortunately, tubes of the stuff do get confiscated at times. Ensure that they meet the carry on specifications for gels/liquids and foodstuffs as well :rolleyes:

I used two of the single strap type (left). As far as I know, the single ones are used mainly as a preventative measure, though not certain about that. I met a few people who were using the double strap type - but they were all being used on previously damaged knees. The single was surprisingly comfortable. In the beginning I expected this type to maybe hinder circulation, but by the end of each day I had forgotten I was wearing them. They're velcro-adjustable, as you know. When you've got them on, it's obvious how they hold the ACL from moving out of alignment. I expect the single type might be uncomfortable on a damaged knee because all its pressure goes right across the ACL.

Edit: For those not familiar with these straps, the single has a rubber sausage-like insert which applies pressure in a narrow band across the ACL. The double is all flat stretchy bits which spread the pressure and mainly brace the whole knee joint. Each type is velcro-adjustable.

I'm pretty sure I avoided injury by using these straps, will never walk without them in future.
Have you ever used the types (see photo) of knee braces that cover the whole knee? This is just one example. There are many on the market, and a bit difficult choosing one.
Although my knee is now healed up and I'm working it out regularly, I've thought about getting one of these to bring on the Camino. My only concern is that they appear to maybe restrict movement too much.
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much with bits about knee braces, but I suppose it is a legit topic for older pilgrims, and or pilgrims with bad knees from prior injuries.
mueller_2333.jpg

Thanks everyone for your responses, I wasn't expecting so much interest in another thread about walking poles. The Marmite reference is obviously an attention-grabber - a bit like the sound of clicking poles on a pavement! Why don't more people carry rubber tips? I've never understood that.

The first time I used poles was during a couple of practice hikes before the Camino. I have Pacer Poles, which I love. They feel so natural, and there really wasn't much of a learning curve.

I totally agree @trecile, Pacer Poles seem to be very idiot-proof. I'm a clumsy sort of person and I never quite managed to get the hang of ordinary poles. I do fine with Pacer Poles, especially when I don't consciously think about my technique.

I read the article a couple of times. Good stuff. Thanks. But the type of walking discussed is different to what for some is a crazy marathon called Camino. Relatively short walks in admittedly varied and challenging terrain as described in this hiking article is one thing. Plodding on for weeks on end was a unique challenge for me and seemingly for many others whose posts I've read. There are very many stories here about persevering beyond the call of duty into pain territory. Even the mighty Mark Lee had to soldier on after damaging his knee. Props, Mark.

I had some problems before I left for my CF earlier this year. Maybe I was lucky because I was already in damage control mode before I left. I decided that the 10% or more effort reportedly transferred to the upper body through walking poles was worth the minimisation of wear and tear on feet, ankles, joints over the long run. That, it seems to me is the key phrase - "over the long run".
Mike

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, @Mike Trebert. It's easy to underestimate the cumulative effects of walking day after day, especially when you're fit and not expecting to have any problems. That's one of my main reasons for using poles - I may not feel that I need them, but my body seems to appreciate their help.

You think Marmite a 'vile substance'?
Remarkable, quite remarkable. :rolleyes:

Right, it's time for me to confess that I've never actually tasted marmite. My opinions are based on how it looks and smells. Maybe I should be brave and give it a try. Or maybe not. :eek:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you ever used the types (see photo) of knee braces that cover the whole knee? ...Hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much with bits about knee braces, but I suppose it is a legit topic for older pilgrims, and or pilgrims with bad knees from prior injuries.View attachment 30083
I am pro Marmite AND Vegemite and 2 pole with rubber tips. On my second CF segment last minute I threw my full knee brace with articulated hinges into my pack in case my bad knee gave me trouble. Instead I suffered patellar tendonitis in my good knee but thank goodness I woke up with it after I was done with my CF. My tendonitis was so severe that I couldn't put weight on the knee for two weeks and had to use crutches but the pressure of the sleeve felt great when I wasn't attempting to walk!

OK, maybe a bit off-topic but does anyone have any knowledge where I can buy Marmite/Vegemite in/near Slovenia. I've searched the web and all I could found was on-line purchase (UK). Reading descriptions of its taste there is a huge chance I might like it/them very much regarding to my somewhat unusual taste :D

Ask your local expats ;-) Do you have an 'expat shop' or an expat forum or FB group? They will know for sure! Buen Camino, SY

Ask your local expats ;-) Do you have an 'expat shop' or an expat forum or FB group? They will know for sure! Buen Camino, SY
I actually don't know any expats here and I forgot to ask @timr to bring me one when he came last Friday. But maybe it also wouldn't get through customs in on-board luggage with Tim :rolleyes:

But we do have Spanish shop where I buy a bottle of tinto or a can of aceitunas manzanilla rellena anchoa from time to time ;)

Actually, if you are determinate to try that stuff (I love it btw and both versions!) I can mail you some from Prague - we are neighbors in the end ;-) SY

PS Do you have a Marks$Spencer or Tesco? They carry it also!

Have you ever used the types (see photo) of knee braces that cover the whole knee? This is just one example. There are many on the market, and a bit difficult choosing one.
Although my knee is now healed up and I'm working it out regularly, I've thought about getting one of these to bring on the Camino. My only concern is that they appear to maybe restrict movement too much.
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much with bits about knee braces, but I suppose it is a legit topic for older pilgrims, and or pilgrims with bad knees from prior injuries.
View attachment 30083
I've only used the single strap ones. Because I never suffered a knee sprain, I always regarded them as a deterrent. Luckily I've never had to choose a larger type of brace. They do look as though they would restrict movement, but having heard many stories (yours sounds particularly unpleasant) about knee injuries, I'm very glad to have taken the trouble to use the single straps on both knees every day. There seem to be a few different types of the larger ones. The one in your picture looks kind of stiff and restricting to me. The ones I've seen that I think look more comfortable have a small hole for the patella which I guess keeps the whole thing in position, then wider straps which reach around the leg well clear of the knee, above and below the joint. The ones I've seen that look not too uncomfortable seem to be made of non-bulky, very flexy neoprene. I guess the best type of this full brace to use would depend on the severity of the injury. I'm pretty obsessive, so I'd try at least a couple of different models. But a knee injury can probably cause lingering problems if not managed correctly - I'd hunt for expert advice. I know a very good physiotherapist who treats football players! Who has more mangled knees than football players?! - I'd find somebody who deals with that.

Edit: I just remembered why I went to that particular physiotherapist in the first place. A few years ago, I slipped on a paint line in an underground carpark on a rainy day. A sloping surface, water running off cars, a mix of wet and dry surfaces. Twisted my knee about 45 degrees, fell, banged the knee, ended up on crutches. She attacked the knee with her arsenal of goodies and after a few weeks I was OK. No lasting problems.

Right, it's time for me to confess that I've never actually tasted marmite. My opinions are based on how it looks and smells. Maybe I should be brave and give it a try. Or maybe not. :eek:

Make sure you're standing still when you taste it. Otherwise, after your face de-scrunches, you might discover that you've been temporarily blinded and have walked into a wall. Also, it's so very very salty that you must be within crawling range of a large body of water. The salt might also increase your blood pressure. I consider Vegemite/Marmite to be life-threatening. It was originally invented to strip paint off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. You spread some M or V on toast, rub the toast on the bridge, stand clear, everything peels off back to the bare metal. There is absolutely no surviving aquatic life in Sydney Harbour after a worker dropped a piece of toast off the bridge in 1972. Since that day, the salinity of the world's oceans has increased 17%.

It was originally invented to strip paint off the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Mike, I think you'll find https:marmitemythsmadetrue.com that it was invented to ensure that the guys who re-paint the Forth of the Fifth Bridge are never un-employed. They merely leave a jar at one end of the bridge and by the time they reach the far end all the paint they have applied has retreated in horror.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am not crazy about Marmite, but it tastes a lot better than trekking poles. I think it's better for you, too, at least when taken internally.
Also, I have never heard annoying clacking sounds when using Marmite. But then I still have all my own teeth...
Marmite does not require spare rubber tips, but it is sometimes mistaken for them.

In case this is of interest to anyone.....I saw Marmite for sale in Santiago-in the big supermarket in the Centrum building down the hill from the cheapest albergue. If anyone wants more specific detail than that I'll google map it when I get to a computer.
I must be a strange kiwi - never take Marmite overseas because I can eat it every day at home. When in Spain I far prefer cheeses and olives and pimientos and sausages and even membrillo to go on my bread!

Make sure you're standing still when you taste it. Otherwise, after your face de-scrunches, you might discover that you've been temporarily blinded and have walked into a wall. Also, it's so very very salty that you must be within crawling range of a large body of water. The salt might also increase your blood pressure. I consider Vegemite/Marmite to be life-threatening. It was originally invented to strip paint off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. You spread some M or V on toast, rub the toast on the bridge, stand clear, everything peels off back to the bare metal. There is absolutely no surviving aquatic life in Sydney Harbour after a worker dropped a piece of toast off the bridge in 1972. Since that day, the salinity of the world's oceans has increased 17%.
Ahahahahaha, that's hillarious, now I really have to try it :D

As desperate Australians living in South America many, many years ago (i.e. we shared the continent with dinosaurs) we found the nearest equivalent in taste was "Extracto de Carne". Obviously not vegetarian. Like Bovril.

For those of you who are Marmite/Vegemite virgins, the trick is not to use too much.
Spread a thin film on a piece of warm buttered toast...very nice. My Kiwi friends will spear me for this but I prefer the Vegemite. But to each his or her own.....

And does anyone know why my poles clack even with when I have the little feet? Annoying! (No, they are NOT the kind that have shock absorbers--it's something else but does seem to come from the pole, not the tips.)

Another trick to eat Marmite/Vegemite is to first mix up a tiny bit in butter, to desired color/strength, and then put that mixture on your toast - Yummy! Buen Camino, SY

Thanks Mike, you've definitely convinced me to continue my abstinence, even though it's based on ignorance! I just don't see the appeal - as far as I'm concerned, toast was designed for 'real' butter. And jam, when in Spain.

Was in the grocery store tonight, looking for jam. Saw a tiny jar of Marmite next to the honey but it was $7.99 a jar. And it was dark and scary looking.

Bought some blackberries instead. Cooked them down with a bit of chopped rosemary, sugar, lemon and whatever alcohol was open on the kitchen counter. Slathered on buttered toast.

Yum.

I actually don't know any expats here and I forgot to ask @timr to bring me one when he came last Friday. But maybe it also wouldn't get through customs in on-board luggage with Tim :rolleyes:

But we do have Spanish shop where I buy a bottle of tinto or a can of aceitunas manzanilla rellena anchoa from time to time ;)
If they were giving Marmite away free, I am afraid I wouldn't pick it up, though of course I would to oblige a friend! But I would say just stick with the aceitunas manzanilla rellena anchoa (and the tinto).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I fear too that I wouldn't be able to use the excuse that it would not pass security. See this link

[I am giving this information only if I can make absolutely clear I am not a Daily Mail reader.]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are very welcome - it was most sincerely meant! BTW (also not a DailyMail reader here!!!) I do love this quote from the article:

"London City Airport has donated 300 items collected between January and March - with a combined value of more than £1000 - to Newham Foodbank in East London."

Well done London City Airport!!!
SY

I'm a Kiwi (obviously).
Grew up on marmite (obviously).
Did not like Vegemite.
Could definitely tell the difference between the two (proven in blind tests to unbelievers).
Went (almost) sugar-free.
Switched to Vegemite because it has much less sugar than Marmite (2.2g VS 11.9g/100g)
Acquired a taste for Vegemite.
Still a kiwi.

@Kiwi-family , thank you for the laugh.:)
Exactly.
(When I lived in NZ, everybody said Marmite was better--but my tongue went for the vegemite. Since I had also been told (only half tongue in cheek) that only Aussies like Vegemite, I kept quiet about this wee unpatriotic aberration, and always had Marmite on hand for when my friends came to visit. Kept the Vegemite and my opinions to myself. :D:cool:)

I'm a Kiwi (obviously).
Grew up on marmite (obviously).
Did not like Vegemite.
Could definitely tell the difference between the two (proven in blind tests to unbelievers).
Went (almost) sugar-free.
Switched to Vegemite because it has much less sugar than Marmite (2.2g VS 11.9g/100g)
Acquired a taste for Vegemite.
Still a kiwi.
Sugar??? Isn't it salty???
Well, anyway Sybill is shipping both to me from Prague and I'll report on that ;)

An idea. Maybe start a subforum under other pilgrimage routes/Australia (et al.) thread about Marmite/Vegemite as I also remember some previous interesting debates over it/them? Just joking. Or maybe not :D

But I'm definitely sure that it's better walking with M/V than eating pacer poles ;)

Sugar is in everything. Unless you make it yourself. Actually, it's how I tell the difference - Marmite is quite simply sweeter. Some will argue that both are still gross!

€60,-
We have Marmite at Peaceable, available in small amounts to passing pilgrims. Patrick uses it. He pours a thin film of good olive oil on toasted bread, then adds Marmite. It is his contribution to Anglo-Hispanic unity.

Such a shame that more people didn't experience Patrick's great contribution ......... who knows, maybe we could have prevented Brexit :) And then I might have been inspired to try the vile stuff.

€60,-
[QUOTE="For those not familiar with the world of Marmite (point no.5) - the reference is to the 'love it or hate it' ads for this vile substance :) A bit like hiking with poles - some love it, some hate it.[/QUOTE]

As an ardent fan of Marmite, I generally fail to understand why there are some who hate it ! Not only do I love it, but strongly recommend Marmite for keeping mosquitoes at bay. Something, apparently, to do with the vitamin B12 secreting something through the skin of the consumer that does not appeal to mosquitoes.

A very small jar of Marmite passes the airport security checks of hand luggage, but do not attempt to take anything above 100ml as hand luggage.

Excellent article above!

The scientific arguments for the use of poles far outweigh the personal preference argument when it comes to wear and tear on the knees and muscles. Numerous studies have confirmed this. A summary of some of the various research studies is here (there are more if one searches).
http://www.nynjtc.org/news/trekking-poles-and-your-knees
http://www.nynjtc.org/news/trekking-poles-and-your-knees
We took our poles on our June 2016 Camino from Ponferrada to SdC. Particularly on wet, slippery climbs and descents around O Cebreiro, having the poles made us safer, and prevented a few falls. I fell on some steps in Villafranca and would have sustained quite an injury had I not had poles. I used my poles most of the time as I know that my knees are not what they were a few years ago. I did not have any days where joint pain was an issue. One of the studies suggests that the poles absorb significant weight with each step (5-25%).

FYI- I do not, and never will choose to eat Marmite, even if scientific studies claim it is good for me...

I have done 1 CF this year in September and this is my experience.

On The Use of Poles:

1) My sister convinced me to take poles so I did, against my natural inclination. I used them about 20% of the time and became a convert for use in appropriate situations such as:

a) Down long steep hills to hopefully lessen the knee load and give better stability - for this mode I used the "walking frame" technique, i.e. both poles are grounded ahead simultaneously for every step.
b) Up long medium slopes to get some extra power from the arms.
c) Traversing sections of path comprising irregular rocks to allow faster walking while still maintaining a sure balance.
d) Sometimes just on a straight flat section according to whim where the poles seemed to give you a boost in speed for little extra effort.

2) I read the flight warnings on this forum from people who had lost expensive poles at security and so I packed my poles in my backpack and checked the whole thing in on every flight. This also allowed me to pack a pocket knife and camp utensils in the backpack. No worries.

3) I looked at poles in hiking specialist shops here in Australia where it seemed I needed to spend between AUD 250 to AUD 400 for a pair of extra light poles which fitted in my pack.
So I took a punt and bought a pair online from China through AliExpress for only AUD 46. It was a bargain which paid off as they were as light (170 gm each) as the most expensive sold here and they worked perfectly for the whole Camino. They were carbon fibre with 3 sliding sections, tungsten tips and brand name Pioneer. Highly recommended.

4) On my return I was interested in the sports physics of trekking poles and looked up a few research papers. I found papers with widely diverging conclusions. One stated that knee forces were higher during Nordic Walking and it was not recommended for use by patients seeking to reduce biomechanical loading of the extremities. Another stated that impact loading of the leg bones and joints was reduced by Nordic Walking. Another stated that loading was decreased but typically only by 4%. I could not find a clear scientific conclusion for the recommended use of Nordic Walking poles. I suspect that each paper was looking at a different aspect and/or use. None had a clear recommendation for their use by healthy trekkers looking for an increase in speed for little extra effort as I had noticed during my Camino experience.

Buen Camino
John

I did about 1/2 the CF this spring and chose not to bring poles as I did not want to check my backpack. I use them all the time for backpacking here in the states (mostly the northeast), and figured I'd buy a pair in Spain if needed.
My research of the CF in advance of my trip showed it to be pretty mild in terms of terrain. (I started in Pamplona, so did not cross the mountains). I never at all regretted NOT having poles. I'm 68, so not a youngster by any means. However, I'm quite experienced in walking rough terrain of the Appalachian Trail, always with a pair of poles. (And I did not cross the Pyrenee). If I were to cross the mountain, I think I would buy an inexpensive wooden stick and leave it for another pilgrim along the way. I loved having my hands free and not having the extra pole weight. Another important point: I walked very slowly. I think many injuries are related to going to far too fast. As to Marmite/Vegemite, no experience, no opinion.:)

Marmite is made from beef stock surely. Maybe you mean vegimite from New Zealand.

€83,-
Marmite is made from beef stock surely. Maybe you mean vegimite from New Zealand.

Nah, Bovril (tm) is made from beef stock. Marmite (tm) is a yeast extract, made from the vast surpluses of yeast created by the brewing industries and recycled by Unilever (and incidentally marketed in Oz and NZ as 'Our Mate').

Great sources of B Vits all of them.

The formula/ recipe for Vegemite changed almost five years ago . At first the difference in taste was palpable , the texture , greasy , unfortunately we have become resigned to it .
I recently uncovered a jar of the ' Real stuff ' at the back of the cupboard at the farm . A revelation in taste and an instant olfactory reversion to my childhood .
One close friend that I shared this treasure with was moved to tears , it took some fortitude to deny her pleas for half the jar .
Australians , look to the back of your pantries and those of Grandma's , Aunties and elderly neighbours , black gold may be lurking within:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"..." look to the back of your pantries and those of Grandma's , Aunties and elderly neighbours , black gold may be lurking within:)"[/QUOTE]

I promise, if I ever find a jar in a pantry, it is completely yours.

As a kid I went to school on the opposite side of the Oval cricket ground (the London one) from the Marmite factory and a gas works. On a hot summer's day with the windows open we'd pray the breeze would come from the direction of the gas works.
If you walked down the street outside the Marmite place you'd see people cross the road to avoid walking past the loading bay.
Hiking poles are cool though.

Today I received an early Christmas present from Prague - from @SYates : one jar of Vegemite and one jar of Marmite. Well, I think my first response to her in PM says all:

"WOW, WOW, WOW, this stuff is delicious :D
I can't wait the flu to end to gain my sense of smell (non-existent right now) and full taste back to normal. But I can enjoy it already nevertheless! I find Marmite somehow more creamy and stronger in taste but I like them both :rolleyes:;)
I'm not sure if these two jars will last two weeks, hehehe. Don't need to spread it thin on the bread because I could eat it with a spoon. Another fixation of mine. And I would bring one of them on the Camino for sure ;)
Thank you once again!!!"

Now I really have to find (or to persuade someone ;) as) an importer of those to Slovenia!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anyone, how should I store it? I guess not in the frigorifico as it would be very sturdy then. Or?

EDIT: So I won't be completely off-topic just let me say that I think I know everything about walking poles :p

Anyone, how should I store it? I guess not in the frigorifico as it would be very sturdy then. Or?

EDIT: So I won't be completely off-topic just let me say that I think I know everything about walking poles :p

Kinky, no need for frigorification. There is no life-form known that can survive in un-diluted Marmite. I suspect that the same applies to the Antipodean stuff, except that you need to keep the jar upright standing on its lid ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was the Marmite that got me to click on the thread, not the poles--thinking you had information about where to find it in Spain.
I'm a pole fan, but almost threw them away for the first few hours of walking with them. Hate turned to love. Just like Marmite. You just have to have an open mind sometimes.......;)

Poles - love them - marmite - yuck!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.