• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to replace socks 😳

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Ok I know very well that many plausible responses such as…when there are gaping holes…when people leave the room due to the smell…when the socks stand up on their own in a corner…when the dog refuses to touch them etc etc are possible AND all deserved for asking 😂

But this is a serious question! For shoes ie light trail shoes such as HOKA’s I can feel it when they start to go and the 1,000 km maximum has served me well.

Socks…well I screwed badly on my 2018 Portuguese Camino when I started with the same 3 pairs of quality socks that had seen 2,600 kms total and that did not work out well 🥲 at all!

In Oct 2022 walked ~ 440 kms on the Camino Primitivo and Camino San Salvador using 3 new pairs of SmartWool PHD Outdoor brand socks. Recommended by none other than @davebugg …they were top notch!

During this walk my walking friend and I “may” have cut a few corners in laundrymats..using dryers etc. Considering the clothes washing/drying training received not my brightest move 😳. The socks look ok but they have had a bit of a go…

Leaving mid May to walk 700 kms on the Island Walk in PEI Canada and I simply don’t know whether to buy new socks for the walk?

Ok I know this may well be seen as a crazy post however am wondering how you approach the “replacing socks question”

Holy moly this may well be my last post ever 🤔🤣.

Guy

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I always wear the same brand of inexpensive synthetic running socks on the Camino. They work for me and keep me pretty much blister free. I buy 6-7 new pairs before I start and give them a wash and dry at home. As I wear them on the Camino I simply throw away any pair that shows sign of excessive wear and tear and switch to a new pair. I probably go through 3-4 pairs before I finish and of course I've lost one from time to time, or forgot to get it off the clothes line.

I have worn and rotated the same three or four pairs of Wigwam brand hiking socks on all 6 of my Caminos and they still seem to have lots of wear left although no longer quite as soft. I also often use them for walking on my local trails. I have not yet used the Darn Tough, nor Injini toe socks I have purchased.
This is the Wigwam model I own.
Screenshot_20230223-213828~2.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Always new, and always Smartwool.

And your wife is right, proper laundering is key. In fact I would say that taking care of the socks is in the top three ‘do not neglect’ list for me. They have to be dry and clean to do their job, even if that means a lot more scrubbing and an extra pair on hand while the others dry.

Mrs HtD has been helping out a good friend clear out the effects of her recently deceased husband. 113 pairs of socks were donated to a local charity. Is this some kind of record?

(I set out on Camino with new socks; although I keep a small bag of ‘worn out’ socks, t-shirts and underwear for the pre-walking phase of a Camino; they are discarded before the main event)

To be honest, I get my socks out of the drawer and try them on, those that feel Ok I take and the rest get put back in the drawer for daily use at home. I pay more attention to the liner socks making sure there are no holes, starting to wear a bit thin, or bits that look as if they may rub a blister - those that fail regrettably get binned!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's a bit like the brakes and tyres on your car. As they wear down you get used to the difference. It's only when you get a new set of pads or new rubber that you notice how much the performance had deteriorated.
Get yourself a new pair. Put them on. If you can feel the difference use the new pair. If you can't? Put the new pair in a drawer and use them later. You've lost nothing. It's not as if the price of socks is going to plummet any time soon.

It's a bit like the brakes and tyres on your car. As they wear down you get used to the difference. It's only when you get a new set of pads or new rubber that you notice how much the performance had deteriorated.
Get yourself a new pair. Put them on. If you can feel the difference use the new pair. If you can't? Put the new pair in a drawer and use them later. You've lost nothing. It's not as if the price of socks is going to plummet any time soon.
Great suggestion…I will try this. New socks ordered as 700km is a long walk…socks will still be good for walking around the city post Island Walk!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Leaving mid May to walk 700 kms on the Island Walk in PEI Canada and I simply don’t know whether to buy new socks for the walk?

could you please post the photos taken from the different angles of your current set of socks, otherwise there is no sensible way to answer your question :) Thanks 🙏

I always start with a new or very lightly worn set of socks. But you ask a tough question that I am not sure there is a good answer to. I do know my darn tough and thicker injinji outer socks usually last 500km and are generally in good shape. My injinji sock liners are usually looking more pitiful - but still don't usually have holes in them.

I would venture to guess - 1000-1500km is probably a good time to replace your thicker merino wool socks, and probably 500-750km for thinner liner socks (those designed for hiking - regular thin socks don't hold up as well).

And I agree with those that say DarnTough usually last a very long time. My drawer is full of darn tough and injinji liners/outer socks. They are good!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok I know very well that many plausible responses such as…when there are gaping holes…when people leave the room due to the smell…when the socks stand up on their own in a corner…when the dog refuses to touch them etc etc are possible AND deserved for asking 😂

But this is a serious question! For shoes ie light trail shoes such as HOKA’s I can feel it when they start to go and the 1,000 km maximum has served me well.

Socks…well I screwed badly on my 2018 Portuguese Camino when I started with the same 3 pairs of quality socks that had seen 2,600 kms total and well that did not work out well 🥲 at all!

In Oct 2022 walked ~ 440 kms on the Camino Primitivo and Camino San Salvador using 3 new pairs of SmartWool PHD Outdoor brand socks. Recommended by none other than @davebugg …they were top notch!

During this walk my walking friend and I “may” have cut a few corners in laundrymats..using dryers etc. My wife would not been impressed given the intensive clothes washing/drying training received over 43 years..apparently I don’t retain certain information very well 😳. The socks look ok but they have had a bit of a go…

Ok I know this may well be seen as a crazy post however am wondering how you approach the “replacing socks question”

Holy moly this may well be my last post ever 🤔🤣.

Guy
I just received my PEI paperback in the mail! My daughters and I are thinking of maybe June or July. What would you recommend?

I just received my PEI paperback in the mail! My daughters and I are thinking of maybe June or July. What would you recommend?
I don’t honestly know what the best time would be…you might go to The Island Walk Facebook Group and ask there…I have had good responses to questions. Or to https://theislandwalk.ca/ a pretty good website. You mention PEI paperback…assume you mean the guidebook? I found this by itself was not enough for planning purposes and I used Experience PEI. Enjoy! Guy

I don’t honestly know what the best time would be…you might go to The Island Walk Facebook Group and ask there…I have had good responses to questions. Or to https://theislandwalk.ca/ a pretty good website. You mention PEI paperback…assume you mean the guidebook? I found this by itself was not enough for planning purposes and I used Experience PEI. Enjoy! Guy
Thanks very much. I will check out the Facebook page. Yes the paperback is the guidebook not the kindle version. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My 5 cents for what its worth

Had 3 pairs of Darn Tough & Injinjis (both 'medium') since mid 2018 (when I started seriously planning for the Camino with intentions of walking it in '21)
all 3 came with - I didn't truly 'abused' them during my training period and they were fine even as I was delayed 1 year (and we all know why)
Each pair (1 Injinji and 1 DT) was worn 2 days in a row getting a reasonably descent hand wash in the overnight albergue between the said days.
I sort of planned it as to to hit an Albergue with auto laundry facilities on the 5th\6th day so at that time everything went into a washer & dryer. Never thought of turning DTs inside out - maybe couple of times they did get washed that way but it was not 'on purpose' (and for that matter - either way was not on purpose)
Towards the end 2 pairs of Injinjiis started to show some wear & tear. Given the fact that Mrs was meeting me in SdC and we were embarking on Finisterre together afterwards I instructed her to buy and bring with 2 new pairs which she did and that was that

Fast forward to today - the remaining original injinjii pair is kind of on its last leg (I will still use it when doing treadmill or eliptical in Gym) but the other 2 and all DTs are holding on very nicely!

I like smart wool or darn tough socks with a little bit of cushion. There are varieties of each without cushion. Some have lasted more than one trip to Spain, but when the cushion goes flat, that is when I get a new pair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Splurge.
Buy new socks.
Wool, and hand wash them every night. Your feet are your most important equipment - treat them kindly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Darn Tough... Machine wash inside out, machine dry, and they last forever unless I misplace one. It's time to replace when I want a new design.
Ive got 7 pairs of darn toughs. I have never bought a new pair since I bought the original 7. WHen I wear them out, i get on the warranty page, fill out a warranty, send the pair in and viola, DT credits me for the socks and I use the credit to get a new pair of the same type. I havent bought socks in quite a few years. Darn Tough are the best socks I have ever owned.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.