• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I find prayer opportunities on my way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There will be a random bench here and there. Or a isolated shade tree that is calling out for some company. And almost every village has a church.

Then there are streams of water that beg for you to take off your boots and dip your toes. Also, cresting the last summit in a serious of hills always provided me with right moment to sit down and reflect in prayer.

But I found the best time to be lost in prayer was walking the Mesata. Hearing the rhythm of gravel crunching beneath my boots sent me a place where I was deep in thought but still aware of my surroundings. That synchronization of breathing, walking, and thinking was a truly magical time and place that lent itself to meaningful prayer.

Have you thought of getting an app? I have one that I used to go to sleep at night, it plays beautiful Gregorian chants and other lovely music accompanied by segments of the Bible. It is called "Amen" and a free products of the Augustine Institute, Catholic but anyone could use it. It would be great to walk with.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are certainly formal and informal opportunities. As mentioned above quiet places, a bench, many memorials and stations of the cross type places. Formally there are opportunities to pray, meditate or leave prayer requests associated with many of the church related albergues and pilgrim services. Santa Maria at Carrion has a prayer basket for pilgrims to leave prayers. These are brought forward during the Mass and you are prayed for in the service and individually by the sisters. In Tosantos, pilgrims leave a prayer and are prayed for by pilgrims who come to the albergue in later days. At Grañón there is a Mass and also a meditation service later in the choir loft. There are quiet churches to light a candle or just offer an individual prayer. Although there are more secular pilgrims now, there is still an opportunity to experience prayer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there many prayer opportunities along the way? if so where can I find them?

Not altogether sure what you mean by Prayer 'opportunities'.

I don't practice any formal religion, but would call myself a Christian.
So I don't participate in Mass or anything like that.

But I find walking a Camino a deeply Spiritual experience. It's the main reason I walk them.

I often find my Prayer 'opportunities' .........
  1. In an open empty church.
  2. By a road side cross.
  3. On a mountain top with a view that brings tears to my eyes .
  4. At the Cruz de Ferro........always.
  5. At a memorial for a fallen Pilgrim.
  6. In the middle of nowhere, for no reason, other than to give thanks for being able to make this journey.
  7. Watching the sun go down from the rocks in Muxia.
  8. And countless other 'opportunities' that just happen in a delightful and unexpected way......
Sorry if I did not fully understand your question.
But that was my take on the subject.......

But I found the best time to be lost in prayer was walking the Mesata. Hearing the rhythm of gravel crunching beneath my boots sent me a place where I was deep in thought but still aware of my surroundings. That synchronization of breathing, walking, and thinking was a truly magical time and place that lent itself to meaningful prayer.

@RobertS26 You so need to walk the VdlP ;)

Shanee, every single step, every single moment, every single heartbeat ... all are prayer moments .. is after all a pilgrimage, an inner journey where possibly for the first time in your life you get to commune with that 'other', uninterrupted by the cares of home life.

- in formal settings? Plenty of churches along the way, though many are locked during the day due to lack of people to look after them. Depending upon where you are Mass is evening, and sometimes mornings too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
An exciting question for me. I call myself a Christian. In my experiences (8ys, for about 16weeks totally) the little and cosy countryside parishes are usually closed. Occasionally you’ll find special people (or hospitaleros) that let you taste the flavor of spirituality. With their stories or with their attitude towards other pilgrims. Surely you’ll be free of praying because you can walk alone (in unforgettable places) also for long steps. But I find that you uncommonly will be addressed to pray by churches. When you will be offered to attend a Miss or a pilgrim benediction, don’t miss it. But those events are not so common as I expected (and hoped). Buen Camino. Egualmiente. Please apologize my poor English.

I am roman catholic, and when a friend asked me if I prayed the whole time I was walking, I laughed and said no. But then on reflection, I realized that yes, walking itself was a prayer. Talking and caring for others is prayer.

My son and I began our day with the pilgrims prayer. We would go to mass whenever we could, and also go into churches to kneel for a minute or light a candle. I would sing while walking (my son wouldn't.)

Another friend, a nun from Spain, asked me what I learned from walking the Camino. And I told her that I realized my whole life is a camino, walking towards Christ.

(I suspect this post will be removed as too religious. sigh.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am roman catholic, and when a friend asked me if I prayed the whole time I was walking, I laughed and said no. But then on reflection, I realized that yes, walking itself was a prayer. Talking and caring for others is prayer.

My son and I began our day with the pilgrims prayer. We would go to mass whenever we could, and also go into churches to kneel for a minute or light a candle. I would sing while walking (my son wouldn't.)

Another friend, a nun from Spain, asked me what I learned from walking the Camino. And I told her that I realized my whole life is a camino, walking towards Christ.

I think that there is a difference between communicating our own Camino experiences and imposing or proselytizing our religious beliefs on others. The former is one of the key purposes of the forum. The latter is against the rules. It really isn't that complicated.

Here, what you seem to be doing is communicating your own Camino experience and what you got out of it. That seems to be the former. Now if you were to go on and post that your understanding of the Trinity and the nature of Transubstantiation were the one, true belief and everyone must adopt it, and that those who don't are not true pilgrims and shouldn't be on the Camino, that would more closely fit the latter. But that isn't what I am reading here.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that there is a difference between communicating our own Camino experiences and imposing or proselytizing our religious beliefs on others. The former is one of the key purposes of the forum. The latter is against the rules. It really isn't that complicated.

Here, what you seem to be doing is communicating your own Camino experience and what you got out of it. That seems to be the former. Now if you were to go on and post that your understanding of the Trinity and the nature of Transubstantiation were the one, true belief and everyone must adopt it, and that those who don't are not true pilgrims and shouldn't be on the Camino, that would more closely fit the latter. But that isn't what I am reading here.
I wonder at your expression of anxiety over proselytizing, which the commenter did not do in the least, and which you acknowledged. So why comment as you did on something that did not happen, nor was there even a hint of an attempt at ecclesiastical conversion?

Your ignoring the origin, intent, traditions and storied history of the Camino de Santiago, which for over a thousand years was a pilgrimage made by Catholics as part of their Catholic faith, feels to me like a rebuke to those of us who are Catholic, or who at least follow an organized religion.

Observing that you are a staff member is even more troubling.

I wonder at your expression of anxiety over proselytizing, which the commenter did not do in the least, and which you acknowledged. So why comment as you did on something that did not happen, nor was there even a hint of an attempt at ecclesiastical conversion?

Your ignoring the origin, intent, traditions and storied history of the Camino de Santiago, which for over a thousand years was a pilgrimage made by Catholics as part of their Catholic faith, feels to me like a rebuke to those of us who are Catholic, or who at least follow an organized religion.

@David Tallan was responding to this line from @kelleymac

There is a forum rule about discussion of religion, but it doesn't include posting about one's personal religious experiences on the Camino. @David Tallan was posting to clarify the difference and to assure @kelleymac that nothing in their post broke any forum rule.

I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to set the original poster's mind at ease, that what they were posting was not breaking the rules. I was contrasting their post, which was perfectly okay, with what would break the rules.

I was specifically responding to the parting shot the original poster took:
And I responded to reassure that it was okay.

I'm not sure how you went from that to the assertion that I was ignoring the origin, intent, traditions, and storied history of the Camino de Santiago, including its long history as as religious pilgrimage, which I don't believe I have ever done. I have posted on those topics quite a bit since I have joined, always, I hope, with the greatest respect. There was certainly no intent to rebuke the religious, much less the Catholic.

Once again, if that intent was communicated, it was a misreading of my intent and to all to whom it came across that way, I apologize.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Oh I read David’s comment quite differently- I read it as an assurance that the Kelleymac was within the rules and all was OK with her share - that she needn’t have worried.

I found it overwhelming, but greatly miss now, the ability to find "prayer" in every part of the Camino. Inside the churches with creaking kneelers, or along the trail where all you hear is your footsteps crunching on the crushed stone. I prayed my rosary and said prayers of thanks, gratitude and even "Oh why do my blisters hurt so much." But more often than not, I found myself deep within "prayer" while walking in the wooded areas, nothing but trees and solitude. It is amazing how this "prayer" time allowed me to connect on a level that cannot be expressed in words, it can only be felt. If you choose to walk with an open heart and mind, prayer will find you, no matter your location.

Every step of a pilgrimage is a prayer.

Every silver coin spun into a river as I cross is a prayer

Every splash of wine onto the dust before I drink is a prayer

Every candle lit is a prayer

Every bird, dog, cat, rat or pilgrim I offer food is a prayer

Every bit of trash I pick up and carry to a better place is a prayer

Every kind and helpful post I offer is a prayer

Every mocking, sarcastic, ironic post I offer is a prayer

Every step I take on pilgrimage is a prayer

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

no one is rebuking the Catholic faith, or any organized religion, on this thread

Last edited:
What is prayer?

Probably not a suitable debate for this forum.

I can't help musing that if you have to ask the question posed by the OP then you don't really know what prayer is, nor its purpose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love the Camino for many reasons but one of them is that it gives me the chance to feel myself part of a true Christian community ... Even if the kindly, cheerful and generous people with whom I share for and conversation and laughter haven't the slightest interest in religion of any kind, and particularly the organised variety. It doesn't matter, the love is universal and on the Camino everyone seems to become their best self and the tough attitudes required in the "real" world are gratefully laid aside. A communal meal in an albergue is, in my view, a true prayer in a Christian sense, even if I'm the only church member present. Everyone I think feels this "inrushing of spirit", right from day 1, and what terms they use to define it don't matter. The Camino is a huge dispersed perambulatory communal prayer for me.

There is no reason to delete this post. It mentions religion, but this is entirely within forum rules. It is discussion that is not allowed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not altogether sure what you mean by Prayer 'opportunities'.

I don't practice any formal religion, but would call myself a Christian.
So I don't participate in Mass or anything like that.

But I find walking a Camino a deeply Spiritual experience. It's the main reason I walk them.

I often find my Prayer 'opportunities' .........
  1. In an open empty church.
  2. By a road side cross.
  3. On a mountain top with a view that brings tears to my eyes .
  4. At the Cruz de Ferro........always.
  5. At a memorial for a fallen Pilgrim.
  6. In the middle of nowhere, for no reason, other than to give thanks for being able to make this journey.
  7. Watching the sun go down from the rocks in Muxia.
  8. And countless other 'opportunities' that just happen in a delightful and unexpected way......
Sorry if I did not fully understand your question.
But that was my take on the subject.......

This reply was just so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. My first Camino. Was initiates as self healing out of profound grief of watching my husband and daughter struggle with various illnesses. I couldn’t just sit in a dr office and take pills. So I took care of them . Then when they had the care I needed to be reassured. I took myself off onto the Camino Frances. I could not get into SJJP bc of Covid. So I started in Pamplona. I remember the Rose hips and blackberry bushes where I would. Whisper my prayers and she’s my tears. The massive of fields of sunflowers that lifted my soul.

Rhe streams that cooled my aching feet. Each was healing prayer for my body and soul. I found a new respect for my body to be able to carry me such a distance.

I found a depth is spirituality within myself. That gave my heart hope.

Now this year I have my husband with me we finished the Portuguese way in April.

We are now doing the Camino Frances. Or trying. The weather is not the best. Maybe for the first time. We may not make it. I see that But it’s okay.

We are trying. We are reconnecting and through prayer our daughter will finally receive the much needed surgery to reconstruct her knees.

Maybe one day. She too will be able to come and try this for herself.

It is incredible and intensely emotional. And completely random. But the Camino truly gives you what you need. Hugs and love.

no one is rebuking the Catholic faith, or any organized religion, on this thread
Also. It was served out as a punishment to the people by the church. That is the beauty of this pilgrimage . To learn from it .. look at the state of the world. Today. How senseless the killings are. Here we all have a chance to keep praying for peace. Religious or not.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love the approach taken by the OP and the comments, including the Mods, reference this question. Because it is such a "touchy" subject, I don't often see openly religious questions brought up, and it was refreshing, especially due to the kindness of the answers.
I am Roman Catholic and was mysteriously compelled to do that first Camino, which soon caused me to become a serial pilgrim.
Since prayer is one's talking to God, one can do it any time, day or night. All those open and darkly quiet churches along the way inspire prayer and meditation, so go for it. Join in any Masses that may be happening as you pass by, also. You will be welcomed.
Who knows, maybe the habit of talking to God every day on the Camino will become a life-long habit! There are worse things you could pick up - like cafe and croissants every morning for breakfast.😋

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are.
Every step of the way.

Communal prayer not so much except where you find an evening mass or vespers in the town where you are staying. My favourites are to join the vespers of religious communities (with the nuns in Rabe, for example). Those are quite special.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone posting responses like, "oh yes, there are constant prayer opportunities with every passing moment, with every breath, with every step and sigh, with everyone you meet, with every snore and crinkly plastic bag, yada, yada, yada," are probably misunderstanding the OP.

Anyone posting responses like, "oh yes, there are constant prayer opportunities with every passing moment, with every breath, with every step and sigh, with everyone you meet, with every snore and crinkly plastic bag, yada, yada, yada," are probably misunderstanding the OP.

Buen Camino also to you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
LOL. "...with every encyclopedic reference, with every 'Buen Camino,' with every dewdrop and bedbug..."

Where does this negativity comes from @astronwolf ? People here are trying to explain what praying means to them and at the meantime avoid talking about the finer mechanics of religion.

You are aware that you can ignore forummembers or just unwatch a thread?

The thread is a fine example how an original post can flow in different directions. I for one find the multitude of answers positive and thought provoking.

It would probably help the discussion if the OP were to bother to respond to some or any of the positive and helpful posts in this thread. Though it is possible that they have been put off by the suggestion that their question was a joke

It would probably help the discussion if the OP were to bother to respond to some or any of the positive and helpful posts in this thread
It appears that @Shanee hasn't been back in the forum since shortly after the thread was posted. It seems that they probably have a life outside of the forum!

It appears that @Shanee hasn't been back in the forum since shortly after the thread was posted.
This happens now and again - people register, make one post and then don't come back (perhaps because they weren't that engaged in the first place, or maybe because the reaction posts were so scary). Sometimes the way the post is framed shows they are not that familiar with how things work here. Some phrase or word gets folks a little heated and then a load of forum members pile in and before you know it affrontery is everywhere..
Maybe the forum could signify in some way when a message is the first one a new member has posted. It would flag to the old salts that this is a new person - and then they might be more inclined to offer a welcome and cut the newbie a little slack

the forum could signify in some way when a message is the first one a new member has posted
Nice idea to think about those factors. The information is readily available on the person's profile. To add automated or deliberate flags/explanations/warnings would not be manageable, given the number of controversial topics, strong personalities, and sensitive people we have on the forum!

On this thread, I think you and others are bringing a good balance, when appropriate, to help promote the forum culture I think we want.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My impression, based on the original post ( but not the profile), was that English was not Shanee's most comfortable language.

Hopefully Shanee can spare us a moment in between life demands.

Maybe the forum could signify in some way when a message is the first one a new member has posted. It would flag to the old salts that this is a new person - and then they might be more inclined to offer a welcome and cut the newbie a little slack

I always check if the question is from a ‘new member’ which informs my responses.
I think the range of responses to this question covered everything from open sky to communal prayer.
In summary there are more opportunities to pray in nature than in a church / convent- but the more formal prayer opportunities are available and can be very nourishing.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Please be careful with posts like this. You could be wrong and members who think you are referring to them are likely to feel offended.

There are.
Every step of the way.

Communal prayer not so much except where you find an evening mass or vespers in the town where you are staying. My favourites are to join the vespers of religious communities (with the nuns in Rabe, for example). Those are quite special.
When I was walking the Primitivo earlier this summer there was a group of six Italians, three of whom were priests. They were holding daily masses after their walks and other pilgrims were invited to celebrate the masses with them. When I got to Santiago and attended the pilgrim mass it was very special to see one of the priests on the dais helping to celebrate that mass.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes....everywhere you would like to Pray
Walking, standing, sitting or kneeling
...done all of them on my Pilgrimage sometimes in my head and sometimes shouting Praises to The Lord from the top of my lungs 😇

There is no reason to delete this post. It mentions religion, but this is entirely within forum rules. It is discussion that is not allowed.
Might be a semantic issue here. In my dialect of English, this thread is definitely “discussing.” Perhaps a better word for the rules might be “arguing” or “proselytizing.” Or is “arguing” also ambiguous?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It might be removed because you wrote that you suspect
it will be removed. That could be interpreted as a dig on the moderators.
I highly doubt the post is too religious.

It’s sad to think that there’s a hesitancy by some to post on a straightforward and entirely personal and inoffensive matter of faithgiven the Camino is and has always been essentially a Christian religious pilgrimage. I prayed along the way every day targeting family members and friends. Paul’s dictum was to pray without ceasing. In a sense all of life is a prayer and the whole world is a cathedral.

De Colores

Bogong

Hi Shanee I don't know which religion you are but if you are Christian you may like to stop over at Albergue Oasis Trails run by a Dutch Christian Organisation in Villamayor de Jardin. They have mass every evening and it is very special.
There is something for everyone on the Camino. The Camino's arms are open wide. You will find countless opportunities for prayer. Buen Camino!

I didn't mean it as a dig, but as a sigh about not being able to be open about my faith, here and where I live. The moderators responded in a positive and caring way which made me happy.

The Camino goes from church to church, which is village to town to city. Great opportunities to have quiet moments of prayer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Removed? Well, why am I able to read it?
Your camino, your experience, is greater than any removal by any moderator. The moderators are watching, like who knows what? 😇 to try to make sure no boundaries are overstepped.
Your post did not overstep by even a centimetre.
In my humble opinion for what it is worth.
It did not cost me much to type the whole thing instead of abbreviation! 😈
Don't be worrying about what anybody else thinks. Just be who you are.
And muy buen camino de la vida, en la vida, for the rest of your pilgrimage life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back