• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which water?

Frogatthefarriers

Time of past OR future Camino
March 3023
Like lots of folks that are planning to on Camino, I’ve been watching (lots of) YouTube camino videos. Quite a few have clips of people getting water from wells or drinking fountains. Now I know that water is a major consideration on Camino and particularly the VDLP, so I was wondering how to tell if the water from these “off piste” sources is safe to drink. I expect some of you will know - please share.

I do have a small water filter that I take with me when bikepacking that will take out bacteria and parasites, so I’m not unduly concerned. It’d be nice to know, though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agua no potable suggests that you should avoid drinking more than 1 litre. However if the locals are drinking it it’s probably ok. Though, of course, they may not have been watching Ubend videos.

Avoid no potable and sin guarantia and you’ll be fine
So can I take it that if there's no "do not drink" sign, it's OK-ish? Are all the public sources labelled then?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like lots of folks that are planning to on Camino, I’ve been watching (lots of) YouTube camino videos. Quite a few have clips of people getting water from wells or drinking fountains. Now I know that water is a major consideration on Camino and particularly the VDLP, so I was wondering how to tell if the water from these “off piste” sources is safe to drink. I expect some of you will know - please share.

I do have a small water filter that I take with me when bikepacking that will take out bacteria and parasites, so I’m not unduly concerned. It’d be nice to know, though.
Water is essential on the Way....don't allow yourself to become dehydrated...as a rule water fountains that are safe for drinking are marked "agua potable" and "no potable" if unsafe....open streams may be safe but use your filter just in case. you will need about a litre per stage... drink as you go along... little and often...personally I buy small bottles as I pass along...water weighs heavily... a litre weighs about kilo....

If the water is from a tap, it should be potable unless it says "non-potable." "Sin garantia" means it hasn't bee tested.

I just carry water from the taps at the albergue - usually enough for the day. But I am not a huge water consumer, and don't usually walk long distances in hot weather.

There will not be many off-piste water sources along the VDLP, so you should plan to carry what you need for the day, unless you know you are going through a significant town where you can re-supply.

Quite a few have clips of people getting water from wells or drinking fountains.
My take on this is that tap water anywhere in Spain and Portugal is safe to drink unless there is a label indicating it isn't. This includes signs like non-potable, untested or not treated (in Spanish or Portuguese, obviously). The last two are less risky, but I avoid them nonetheless.

Other sources are more complex. I have collected flowing water from streams without ill-effect, but I think there are always risks of contamination from fertilizers and other agricultural chemicals from farmland. I would have similar concerns about still water from a well. Most of the time, I will carry water purification tablets, to deal with bacteria and parasites, but they won't get rid of chemical contaminants.

I have found that there are sufficient places where one can collect known potable water that this isn't a problem, and it is rare on the camino routes to have to collect water from other sources.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Other sources are more complex. I have collected flowing water from streams without ill-effect, but I think there are always risks of contamination from fertilizers and other agricultural chemicals from farmland. I would have similar concerns about still water from a well. Most of the time, I will carry water purification tablets, to deal with bacteria and parasites, but they won't get rid of chemical contaminants.
Matches what I was going to post. Water filters won't work here. I carry more water than I think I'll need.

I'm also cautious about someone saying the water is safe without saying they drink it. Also, I was taking the boat trip in Waitomo Cave in NZ when someone asked the boatman if the stream's water was safe to drink. The boatman was very enthusiastic about it. After leaving the cave I walked along the stream for a short distance. There was a dead cow in it just upstream of its entrance into the cave.

Yup, things die, and decompose in rivers and streams. Never mind what fish do in it. Mining, waste disposal and, among other things, faulty septic tanks and badly positioned slurry pits and agricultural run-off contaminate ground water sources.

But, never mind. Spains public water supplies are nurtured and refined in accord with EC regulations and are as good as you’ll get out of a tap anywhere. Some of the stuff out of the Fuentes is even better. Just pay attention to the labeling and local custom.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Which water?
I can't help it. I just stumbled onto this.

dark-weird-humor-vaughn-tomlinson7.jpg

Found at

I repeat my message of last April in another thread about the water quality:

A tip: when you are running out of water while you are really thirsty: in every little village you will find a cemetery/graveyard where you will find a tap! Spanish people keep very good care of their deceased loved ones, inclusief watering the flowers of their graves. And if there is not a sign indicating 'no potable' you can drink the water.

Yup, things die, and decompose in rivers and streams. Never mind what fish do in it. Mining, waste disposal and, among other things, faulty septic tanks and badly positioned slurry pits and agricultural run-off contaminate ground water sources.
My family would go to Canada fishing for a week for many years in the 90's, trolling in a very large string of lakes. We would often dip a cup in the water and drink; never getting sick. That said, I would never do it now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always use the fuentes..keeping an eye out for no potable signs.....I carry a 1.5 liter Bota Bag from Jesus Blasco, an artisan family business in Spain that still uses the traditional hand made methods....I switched from natural resin to the insulated bladder mostly to help with cleaning...a good shot of brandy will do the trick..I like the bota because I can drink on the fly...soaking the outside helps to keep the water inside cooler, it takes a little weight off the backpack, and of course it has a certain local cool factor...although I do get a some disappointing comments when Spaniards hear I have water instead of wine...I tell them water on the camino, Vino en Santiago....

On the VDLP there are no water sources as there are in Galicia on the Sanabres. The filter is a good idea. In the south due to the ongoing drought the tap water in many of the albergues has a definite “taste”. I’m sure it is drinkable, but it tastes awful and in my case was hard on the stomach. You will need to carry a lot of water on the long stages as many have no bars or villages between start and finish points. In May with high temperatures well into the 30s I was carrying 5 litres 3.5 of water and a 1.5 bottle of Aquarius.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know it is not water, but I liked the low-sugar + electrolytes water, "Aquarius" available in lemon or orange flavor all along the Spanish camino (Frances). Like Gatorade, but with about 1/4 the sugar; I wish I could get the limon flavor in the USA.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the VDLP there are no water sources as there are in Galicia on the Sanabres. The filter is a good idea. In the south due to the ongoing drought the tap water in many of the albergues has a definite “taste”. I’m sure it is drinkable, but it tastes awful and in my case was hard on the stomach. You will need to carry a lot of water on the long stages as many have no bars or villages between start and finish points. In May with high temperatures well into the 30s I was carrying 5 litres 3.5 of water and a 1.5 bottle of Aquarius.
as a follow up, I did use the Crazy Cap bottle with UV light on the Plata....The UV light kills 99.9% of all bacteria....doesn't clean water with dirt...but makes it potable...

The advice about where to get water is excellent. Also remember on the VDLP take lots and lots of it. When I walked starting in Mid October it was still over 90F/32C every day for the first two weeks. I carried 3 liters of water with me. I always put one in the freezer in the albergue the night before to help keep my other water and food cold. I carried my food and water in a small decathlon shopping bag. You need to have food and water on many days as there are no services from where you start to wear you sleep.

Tinkatinker, why do you think drinking less than 1L is a viable option?
Yeah, I was gonna say...1L/stage? That's honestly scary. I just finished about 8.5 hours of hiking in 29-degree weather on le chemin de st Jacques and I drank about 3.5L (filled up one time) - and I *still* ran out of water before arriving to my gîte.

I'm guessing you mean you only need to *bring* 1L? Even that is pretty risky, in my opinion. I was bringing 2L with me, knowing I'd pass at least 1 fillable station, and likely a store selling water if not (depending on location). But with the heat that's just arrived this week, I'm just going to start bringing 3L. I've run out of water before being able to refill at least twice while bringing 2L.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've never had a stomach problem with water over the years of walking different Caminos, but I've also never used the potable water fountains or taps. It's easy just to buy bottled water from every bar / supermarket and I've discovered how differently tasting the various brands are. I love Vichy Catalan particularly, though I transfer from the glass bottle it's sold in to a plastic bottle. Bottled water is so cheap in Spain too.

My priority order of preference for drinking water is:
  • Bottled water that I purchase in a store
  • Tap water from a hotel, cafe or restaurant - as others have said here, all tap water in Portugal and Spain can be presumed safe, unless there are notices to the contrary.
  • Spring water from a posted safe to drink source.
I do not trust surface water or fountains not posted "potable." Other poster here have discussed this. I agree with all of them.

One thing that I noticed on my very first Camio, ten years ago, was the location of apparently fresh springs spouting out of holes in a stone wall. The stone wall was edging a pasture. There were cows in that pasture. The distance from the manure "cow-pies" to the spouting spring water was no more than a meter below ground. Would YOU drink that water? I did not.

On the Camino Frances, the one stretch where extra caution is indicated is from Carrion de los Condes to about Moratinos. The farmland on the Meseta, in-between, has seen decades of pesticide and fertilizer use. These chemicals likely have penetrated to the water table. Thus any surface water, springs or wells should be suspect as well. Homes and eating places connected to the public water supply have good potable water.

When leaving Carrion de los Condes, I always pack at least three liters of water - usually in 1.5 liter bottles. It is not all for me, but for other pilgrims who did not "get the memo." Yes it is heavy, but it is for a good cause.

Short of death, and IMHO, the worst thing that can occur to a pilgrim on the Camino - any route - is a gastrointestinal illness.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
I walked the Via de la Plata and Sanabres this Spring (2023) and found few water fountains, but most were clearly marked or somewhat obvious. Water from these taps can still be used to cool down - hat, buff, etc. Tap water was fine. Good luck and just carry more water than you need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
800 km on the Frances and 450km on the Portuguese filled up at every fountain etc as well as in every overnight albergue and NEVER a problem. I don't believe this is luck.

My main concern for VDIP is a lack of water source, 3 liter water bag is preferred for men, women at least 2L.

Strongly support this. Between Seville and Salamanca there are a number of long stretches with no shops or bars of any kind, and no other water sources that I recall either. Even when map showed a bar in a small village there was no guarantee it would be open e,g on a Sunday morning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Last September I filled up with tap water in towns. All good.
However there was one town where the hospitalaro was surprised that I was drinking the tap water. I think it was Almaden.
She said they add some chemicals to the water on a regular basis and she didn’t drink it. It was probably artesian water that needed extra treatment.
I then filled up with bottled water for that day.
In the early stages towns are often 20 Km apart so you need carry all your water for the day. There are no regular ‘fuentes’ till you get much further up north. And then they are usually labeled.

She said they add some chemicals to the water on a regular basis and she didn’t drink it. It was probably artesian water that needed extra treatment.
I wonder what she meant? AFAIK, most municipal water treatment involves adding chemicals as well as any aeration, filtration and perhaps treatments like reverse osmosis for highly saline or chemically contaminated water sources. Reverse osmosis won't add chemicals, but they might be added to ensure that pathogens don't multiply during storage and transport.

Not sure if it was a general question, or you are thinking of walking the VdlP.
But anyway...

I walked the VdlP during April/May this year.
Sevilla-Astorga (Not Sanabres route, so can't comment on that part)

Here are some thoughts.
You can't compare the VdlP to a Camino like the Frances in terms of food and water availability.
Think Meseta, day after day, for much of it.

1. You should plan to carry your water needs for the day, unless there is an 'obvious' source of water during the day such as a large villages with shops etc. I would always check on google maps for stores/bars etc the day before and check opening hours. It's shown on Google maps. (but don't rely on it being accurate or up to date!) On the odd occasion I saw an open store or gas station I treated it as a bonus.
  2. Public fonts are very rare. Not like on the Frances. I don't actually recall filling up from one at all.
  3. I wouldn't fill up from streams/lakes etc as the water quality from agricultural run-off could be dodgy. Though I did carry 6 water purification tabs for 'emergency' use. You may not find many such water sources anyway. Irrigation channels in fields maybe.
  4. So regarding signs. If I see a sign saying 'Potable' I'll drink from it. Otherwise I won't. I don't think I ever saw such a sign.
  5. Plan your water use carefully. I carry 1 litre per 10 kms as a minimum. On hot days I use more.
  6. Routes such as the VdlP require a bit more Logistics planning. Most days you will not pass villages with an open cafe / store. Some days no villages at all. So you need all your food & water needs with you till you stop at the end of the day. At least maybe 60-70% of the time.
  7. Obviously you do go through major towns here and there, so no problem with those re supplies.
It just requires a bit of a different approach.
And as you need to carry more water than on the more popular routes, really focus hard on reducing pack weight.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have walked the VdlP recently, as their experiences and approaches may vary of course.

Afternote.
On this years Camino from Astorga I walked to Ponferrada on the Frances.
Then to Santiago on the Invierno.
Then on to Fisterra and Muxia.

I think it's fair to say that all Camino routes vary in terms of water / food availabiliy.
For example.

On the Frances. I carried half the water load that I carried on the VdlP. It could have been less!
There are so many cafes/bars etc along the way........

On the Invierno. I filled up from one font, after asking a local if it was potable.
Non had signs on them. But I think I might have only seen 3 or 4 in 14 days.
I carried my daily water needs as I had on the VdlP, though I did pass through villages some days with open bars/shops. Maybe 50% of the time.

On the Fisterra. Like being back on the Frances. No problems, though again I don't recall seeing any fonts. Maybe partly I wasn't looking for them, as I was used to carrying enough water for the day anyway.
Though I recall looking out for a font between Lires and Muxia. It was clearly marked on all the guides and maps.me. It was dry when I got there. But I had just enough water to get me to Muxia.

I suppose the point I'm making is, unless I 'know' for sure there is a good water source, I assume there won't be. I prefer not to use water sources that may have to be treated/filtered, unless it's an emergency.
Again, on a Camino like the Frances........not really an issue most of the time.

Sorry to ramble. But I have a 'thing' about hydration.
I once ran out of water on my first Camino in the heat. (dry fonts along the way)
Never again....... ;)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My main concern for VDIP is a lack of water source, 3 liter water bag is preferred for men, women at least 2L.
Regarding the 'amount' of water to carry (on the VdlP)

I would tend to agree as a general rule but it depends on a few factors.
Everyone finds their own 'routine' and approach that works for them.
And I suppose we all have different water needs.
Many people 'think' they can manage on very little water.
A few things to consider, once on the route.
(I walked it April 23)
  1. How far you plan to walk that day. My basic rule of thumb is 1 litre / 10 kms. If I'm walking 25 kms, then 2.5 litres is my minimum water load.
  2. The terrain. Hills take a bit more water for me.
  3. Temperature! Up to about 20 C my 1 litre / 10 kms works (for me). Hotter than that I need a bit more. Approaching 30C I'll need double the water.
  4. Clothing and sun protection. I wear long pants, long sleeves (often pulled up) a wide brimmed hat, and.......an Umbrella! It really helps keep my head cool and can reduce my water needs by about 15-20% on longer stages.
  5. Time of day. To avoid the heavy water load, I soon switched to leaving pre dawn. Generally starting an hour before dawn. That gave me 2-3 hours of cool weather to get some kms done, before it started to warm up. I would aim to finish by 1-2 pm. Two reasons. 3-4 pm is often the hottest part of the day. And last orders for the menu del dia is often 3-3:30 pm!
For the VdlP it's not 'hard'. It just requires a bit of logical thought and planning to avoid potential trouble.
And being prepared to carry enough water.........running short is not fun.

Prepared for the sun :)
2 litres of water on the front, that act like Aarn balance pockets.
Any additional water in the side pockets.

Last edited:
If you want to be on the safe side, buy some sterilising tablets from a camping store, and pop one in every time you get water from a source you are not sure about. The faster acting ones (30 mins) tend to have a taste, the slower acting ones (2 hrs) little or no taste. Please, do not, do not buy bottled water. It is unnecessary, bad for the environment and the water quality is no better than tap water, which is as good as you´ll bet anywhere.

And yes, especially on the early stages of the VdlP, assume that there is no water between your starting point and your destination.

Last September I filled up with tap water in towns. All good.
However there was one town where the hospitalaro was surprised that I was drinking the tap water. I think it was Almaden.
I then filled up with bottled water for that day.
In the early stages towns are often 20 Km apart so you need carry all your water for the day. There are no regular ‘fuentes’ till you get much further up north. And then they are usually labeled.
I had the same experience in Almadén de la Plata. My water container tasted of the chemicals for a week. I found the water hard on my stomach. While I agree with another contributor that you should always try to avoid bottled water, from an environmental standpoint, it is not always possible to do so, particularly on the early stages of the VDLP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure if it was a general question, or you are thinking of walking the VdlP.
But anyway...

I walked the VdlP during April/May this year.
Sevilla-Astorga (Not Sanabres route, so can't comment on that part)

Here are some thoughts.
You can't compare the VdlP to a Camino like the Frances in terms of food and water availability.
Think Meseta, day after day, for much of it.

1. You should plan to carry your water needs for the day, unless there is an 'obvious' source of water during the day such as a large villages with shops etc. I would always check on google maps for stores/bars etc the day before and check opening hours. It's shown on Google maps. (but don't rely on it being accurate or up to date!) On the odd occasion I saw an open store or gas station I treated it as a bonus.
  2. Public fonts are very rare. Not like on the Frances. I don't actually recall filling up from one at all.
  3. I wouldn't fill up from streams/lakes etc as the water quality from agricultural run-off could be dodgy. Though I did carry 6 water purification tabs for 'emergency' use. You may not find many such water sources anyway. Irrigation channels in fields maybe.
  4. So regarding signs. If I see a sign saying 'Potable' I'll drink from it. Otherwise I won't. I don't think I ever saw such a sign.
  5. Plan your water use carefully. I carry 1 litre per 10 kms as a minimum. On hot days I use more.
  6. Routes such as the VdlP require a bit more Logistics planning. Most days you will not pass villages with an open cafe / store. Some days no villages at all. So you need all your food & water needs with you till you stop at the end of the day. At least maybe 60-70% of the time.
  7. Obviously you do go through major towns here and there, so no problem with those re supplies.
It just requires a bit of a different approach.
And as you need to carry more water than on the more popular routes, really focus hard on reducing pack weight.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have walked the VdlP recently, as their experiences and approaches may vary of course.

Afternote.
On this years Camino from Astorga I walked to Ponferrada on the Frances.
Then to Santiago on the Invierno.
Then on to Fisterra and Muxia.

I think it's fair to say that all Camino routes vary in terms of water / food availabiliy.
For example.

On the Frances. I carried half the water load that I carried on the VdlP. It could have been less!
There are so many cafes/bars etc along the way........

On the Invierno. I filled up from one font, after asking a local if it was potable.
Non had signs on them. But I think I might have only seen 3 or 4 in 14 days.
I carried my daily water needs as I had on the VdlP, though I did pass through villages some days with open bars/shops. Maybe 50% of the time.

On the Fisterra. Like being back on the Frances. No problems, though again I don't recall seeing any fonts. Maybe partly I wasn't looking for them, as I was used to carrying enough water for the day anyway.
Though I recall looking out for a font between Lires and Muxia. It was clearly marked on all the guides and maps.me. It was dry when I got there. But I had just enough water to get me to Muxia.

I suppose the point I'm making is, unless I 'know' for sure there is a good water source, I assume there won't be. I prefer not to use water sources that may have to be treated/filtered, unless it's an emergency.
Again, on a Camino like the Frances........not really an issue most of the time.

Sorry to ramble. But I have a 'thing' about hydration.
I once ran out of water on my first Camino in the heat. (dry fonts along the way)
Never again....... ;)
I think you captured the Via de la Plata, perfectly in terms of water, my biggest problem was no coffee all day so I bought a small thermos and took coffee to go

On the Via de la Plata you will need to be able to walk up to 30km while carrying all the water and food you need for the entire day. Water usually isn't available between villages, so you should always have enough water to get to the next village. This means you've got to plan your day carefully and always know the distance to the next village (it's not like other Caminos where you'll come to a cafe every 5 or so km).

@Robo above has covered it well so I won't bother repeating it.

Buen Camino!

Lucky folks.
Ill drink north of 3 liters easily when working .
24 lbs or more of water over a day would be a load!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So much helpful information. Thanks to all.

@Robo, I’m planning to bike, not walk the VDLP in September/October. (Oh gawd - only four weeks to go..). Your remarks, and those of many others still apply though. In my favour, because the I’ll be rolling the water along - the bike will do the carrying - I can perhaps take a little more than I think I’ll need. That should take some of the uncertainty out of the equation, I hope.

I'm aiming to take three weeks. That’s about 50km a day so should give me a bit more flexibility in finding water sources, but as you all say, it’ll take some watching.

thanks again, all.

Last edited by a moderator:
So can I take it that if there's no "do not drink" sign, it's OK-ish? Are all the public sources labelled then?
Along parts of the Francés, villages have public drinkable water sources without signs. I even encountered three of them far from any village! But I can recommend carrying one of the many filtering devices. Mine is the “Grayl” I refilled it three times from irrigation ditches on one non-Camino route without ill effect. It has several competitors, some of them much lighter than the Grayl.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was told not to use fountains with constant running water as they usually come from springs and are not treated. I only refill my water bottles at a spigot that turns on and off and they normally say "potable".

I think you captured the Via de la Plata, perfectly in terms of water, my biggest problem was no coffee all day so I bought a small thermos and took coffee to go

I enjoy coffee but don't 'need it'.
Most days I found an open bar for coffee/breakfast before starting out.
There is often one open for the locals.
Though a couple of times I need to buy a DIY breakfast the night before,
if there wasn't a bar or it didn't open early enough.

But Frances style 'second' breakfast?
Or a coffee during the day?
Maybe twice in 35 days :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Just a comment on the great advice I gained here prior to walking the VdlP.
And a cautionary tale.

The advice was ........

Always have 'something' with you as an emergency meal.
Just in case nothing is open.

I confess in the early days I probably carried too much food.
Often a small tin of sardines and a bread roll, as a meal.
And usually a banana or two, some trail mix and a choc bar.
If I suspected there was no bar or tienda, or the next day was a Sunday, I might carry double that.

But really it was too much.
So I cut it down after a while to just the bananas, trail mix and choc bars.

Until it wasn't enough..........

I stayed in that lovely place in San Pedro, after Fuenterroble.
It's a Casa Rural that also has an Albergue opposite.
The only place in town.

The menu del dia on arrival was great.
And I just had a small snack in my room for dinner.

I was low on trail snacks and there was no store in the village.
But I was assured of a nice breakfast at 7 am before I set off for Salamanca.
I didn't plan any stops on the way, as it was just 23 kms to Salamanca.

At 7am the next morning, there was no sign of anyone in the bar area or kitchen of the cara rural.
I waited till 7:15.
Some of the feedback on Gronze was that they might not turn up to make breakfast!

So I was not overly surprised I guess.
I needed to get going.

No problem, it was just 4 kms to the next village, Morille.
That has a bar that should be open (on google maps)
I looked for a bakery on the way out of San Pedro, but nothing was open.

At Morille, nothing was open..........

Next stop Salamanca, 19 kms.

I hit a petrol station on the outskirts of salamanca and downed a litre of Aquarius and a choc bar.

I mean I wasn't going to starve, but the only food I had since the night before, was 1 banana and some trail mix.

To add insult to injury, I met two other Pilgrims who had a similar fate, but........

They stopped in Miranda de Azan, just 300 metres off the Camino at about the half-way point where a bar was open!

I had missed the sign, and not studied the map well enough..........

I always bought bottled water.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My family would go to Canada fishing for a week for many years in the 90's, trolling in a very large string of lakes. We would often dip a cup in the water and drink; never getting sick. That said, I would never do it now.
The good old days.
We had property on the North Fork of the American River.
I fondly remember a tin cup hanging on the tree by the creek.
We'd dip and drink. Never got sick once.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always bring two very sturdy, smooth exterior Smart Water bottles with me as they easily slide in and out of the side carriers on my pack. They last for the whole Camino and more, but I eventually recycle them. I haven't looked to see if they sell the same bottles in Spain, but if they did I would wait and purchase them there.

Bring my own I liter bottle, throw in a cleansing tablet (like Micropur) and electrolytes. Saves the planet from plastic and safe from disease. Add some fruit powder if you think it tastes like a swimming pool.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.