• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your stones, your shells, your burdens....then moving on.

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
I have been walking the Camino since 2011 in memory of my daughter's unfortunate death in 2010. It is a very personal mission for me and even more difficult to discuss.
There are many, many pilgrims who have eclipsed my minuscule Camino endeavors and have far greater stories to tell about their personal tragedies and their incredible walks.
I've learned over the years some of you people are an integral and important part of the daily life on the Camino because you live and work there.
I've left several stones and photos dedicated to my daughter at the Cruz de Ferro over the years, but at the age of 69 I have been struck by how many friends I have lost in the past decade. So last winter I decided to collect scallop shells on the beach where I live in Florida. I give each one a name for a friend or family member I've recently lost and leave them somewhere discretely along the way. Next year there will be one for Denise.
My burdens will be lighten 2016. I have decided to travel around the world next year. I have rented out my apartment in Biarritz with the view of la Rhune, so no snow reports in April onwards. Sorry for that!
Hopefully Reb' s got me scheduled for a stint at San Anton in June or July.
Love this forum but I think it is time to say GOOD-BYE!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It never fails to surprise me at how closely I feel attached to fellow pilgrims on this forum. I have met so few of you, but it is a heart-felt loss to consider that I will not hear from someone I have grown to "know" on the Forum. You will be missed.

Keep the wind at your back and I look forward to reading your comments in the future.

Bon Chemin,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You were one of the first pilgrims that impressed me on the forum, and I hope you will be back. May the road rise with you, and the wind be ever at your book. May the Lord hold you in the hollow of his hand. Buen Camino, and "lighter" 2016.

Oh, no! Thank you for all the encouraging posts you have contributed to this Forum. I wish you all the best on your travels and hope sincerely that we will hear from you once again when you return!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been walking the Camino since 2011 in memory of my daughter's unfortunate death in 2010. It is a very personal mission for me and even more difficult to discuss.
There are many, many pilgrims who have eclipsed my minuscule Camino endeavors and have far greater stories to tell about their personal tragedies and their incredible walks.
I've learned over the years some of you people are an integral and important part of the daily life on the Camino because you live and work there.
I've left several stones and photos dedicated to my daughter at the Cruz de Ferro over the years, but at the age of 69 I have been struck by how many friends I have lost in the past decade. So last winter I decided to collect scallop shells on the beach where I live in Florida. I give each one a name for a friend or family member I've recently lost and leave them somewhere discretely along the way. Next year there will be one for Denise.
My burdens will be lighten 2016. I have decided to travel around the world next year. I have rented out my apartment in Biarritz with the view of la Rhune, so no snow reports in April onwards. Sorry for that!

In the months preceding the start of my first Camino, in March this year, your weather reports, and advice based on local knowledge, were such a reassurance for me about the safety of beginning of the Way over the Pyrennees. I have always valued your contributions to this forum. They have been so warm-hearted, generous, useful and also welcoming of newbies and I for one will miss you. Buen Caminos!
Thank you - Sandy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enjoy your sabbatical from the forum and your world adventure. May it be all you hope for. Sorry to hear of you find you are losing so many dear friends. Unfortunately at our age these are things which increase in frequency. I refuse to believe we will never have the pleasure again from your company in the future. My regret is I had hoped to bump into one of the days. But hey, who knows? Safe and healthy travels friend. Hasta pronto.

May gentle winds and warm sunshine keep you company as you go,and may the help,advice and kindness you have given to others in this forum be returned to you a thousand fold,and until we see you here again may your God guide and protect your footsteps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Adios, and vaya con Dios wherever you venture.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So sorry to see you leave, but it does seem its for reasons larger than any of us. You would be most welcome in Victoria, BC; truly you would. I'm still a newbie but have enjoyed your posts very much. Thank you so much for your support and contribution to the forum. Godspeed. Maggie

Costa Rica: try us, you might like us!
So, if you travel this way, just contact Adriaan ( fraluchi) or me! You are very welcome!

Wish you well on your travels! You are always welcome back here any time. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
'Behold I make all things new'.
God bless you on your travels.
RJ / Bobcat77

'Behold I make all things new'.
God bless you on your travels.
RJ / Bobcat77
Bobcat77…how ironic this week has been, just 7 days out from departing for the Camino; subtle coincidences like this one; we just yesterday sang this in choir. There have been others…..good signs

Bierritzdon, I'll miss you on the Forum and I hope that some day, you will be back. Safe travels to you. If your travels bring you to Denmark, please send me a PM and I'll show you around. Take care - buen camino to you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Don, you are scheduled for the second half of June. See you then, if not sooner!

Biarritzdon,
Enjoy your 'break'. I see you as so much a part of this forum, I really hope to see you back here after your travels . I am one who enjoyed reading your weather updates early in the year.
Time to spread your wings for a while again.
Safe travels and Buen Camino
Annie

Don, I met you last year in Puente la Reina (spelling??) and you shared your story with me and my friend Jeremy. Your story touched my heart, and meeting you was a highlight of my Camino. You will be missed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Somehow I had missed that thread,
Ultreia Biarritzdon, I always enjoyed reading your posts.

Safe travels and enjoy every minute of it! In case you make it to Prague pm me, Buen Camino! SY

Don, your openness, thoughtful snow reports, and spirt were part of what made me feel the Camino was something that could help me get my life straight when I was in a dark place. You are truly an ambassador for the Camino.

In the words of my grandfather:
¡Salud, dinero, y amor, y tiempo para disfrutarlos!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back