• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A long (winding) road.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
.DoughnutANZ,

As we all recall our favorite views I wonder if your title comes from a memory of the chorus of the song The Long, Long Trail .

Written in 1913 with lyrics by Stoddard King and music by Alonzo "Zo" Elliot when both were at Yale Collège this song rallied English-speaking troops throughout the western front during World War I.

An even more poignant song. Harry Lauder was a famous Scottish music hall entertainer. This is a song written after his only son was killed in battle during World War 1 – ‘On 28th December 1916, Harry's only son John Lauder, who was a Captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was killed at Pozières’, so it would have sad resonances for the audiences who heard it.

Keep Right on to the End of the Road

Every road through life is a long, long road,
Filled with joys and sorrows too,
As you journey on how your heart will yearn
For the things most dear to you.
With wealth and love 'tis so,
But onward we must go.

Chorus:
Keep right on to the end of the road,
Keep right on to the end,
If the way be long, let your heart be strong,
Keep right on round the bend.
If you're tired and weary still journey on,
Till you come to your happy abode,
Where all you love that you're dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.

With a big stout heart to a long steep hill,
We may get there with a smile,
With a good kind thought and an end in view,
We may cut short many a mile.
So let courage every day
Be your guiding star always.

Sir Harry Lauder

DSC04251 (3).JPG

An even more poignant song. Harry Lauder was a famous Scottish music hall entertainer. This is a song written after his only son was killed in battle during World War 1 – ‘On 28th December 1916, Harry's only son John Lauder, who was a Captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was killed at Pozières’, so it would have sad resonances for the audiences who heard it.

But onward we must go.

Chorus:

So let courage every day

Sir Harry Lauder

View attachment 163147
How beautiful.

❤️🙏

But onward we must go.

Chorus:

So let courage every day

Sir Harry Lauder

View attachment 163147
How many wee boys died thus.. and still do..

These glorious photos remind me of the last three stanzas of the J.R.R. Tolkien poem, "The Roads Go Ever On":

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone.
Let others follow, if they can!
Let them a journey new begin.
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
heading for Reliegos ?
No idea! I confess to having lost access to the 900 photos in an easy way.
I count on experts to advise... or I will check with my walking companion 😇. She took the photo. We shared them all. In those days, every number of days, reels were handed in and returned, somehow. I was not the tech person in the duo! I will get back to you.
What I do recall is that the road had been delegated to virtually unused with a new super road to the right. Also, the trees were baby trees and I would love to see how they have they have survived.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Purky this top photo is so beautiful - where did you take it

That was on the stretch between San Antón Convent and Castrojeriz. There's a nasty 12% uphill bit, and that photo is on the downhill after. In fact, not more than three hours later on that same day, I found myself making the photo that would become my avatar. A very nice day, photo-wise.

EDIT: Alto de Mostelares?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
None of these three are winding

IMG_20190603_091154002.jpg
Taken from the shade just before Revenga de Campos, Camino Frances

IMG_20190603_111515894.jpg
No shade here, exiting Villacaza de Sirga, Camino Frances

IMG_20190604_114713257.jpg
On the way to Sahagun, just after Área de Descanso para Peregrinos, Camino Frances. No shade ahead but I had just left the nice rest stop.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
None of these three are winding

View attachment 163344
Taken from the shade just before Revenga de Campos, Camino Frances

View attachment 163345
No shade here, exiting Villacaza de Sirga, Camino Frances

View attachment 163346
On the way to Sahagun, just after Área de Descanso para Peregrinos, Camino Frances. No shade ahead but I had just left the nice rest stop.
Thank you @DoughnutANZ for starting this thread. I like seeing everyone’s photos as they bring back wonderful camino memories and you inspired me to watch the slideshow of my VdlP photos taken last year. I wish I was back there !

I like seeing everyone’s photos as they bring back wonderful camino memories and you inspired me to watch the slideshow of my VdlP photos taken last year. I wish I was back there !
Then you may also like the thread:
On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time

Championed by @VNwalking

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Aliens teleported all the pilgrims to another solar system? Or wasn't there a Mavel superhero movie where almost everyone disintegrated all at once into dust? Could that have happened here?
If it did, the conspiracy was very effective in keeping it out of the newspapers. Or maybe this section doesn't have to be as terrible as people make out it is, even in the busy times of year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being no longer able to walk Caminos (or anything much at all) I rely on Google Street View and on Camino Frances this is coming out of Pamplona.

The pano format allows you to see ahead as well as where you came from (and the sides of course) and you can use the arrows to "walk" either direction.

This one is from the very first batch in Spain in 2009 and Google back then was experimenting with "sexing up" so colours are "bigger than life" and IMHO better than those of today 200 billion panos later.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you @DoughnutANZ for starting this thread. I like seeing everyone’s photos as they bring back wonderful camino memories and you inspired me to watch the slideshow of my VdlP photos taken last year. I wish I was back there !
Then you may also like the thread:
On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time
Thanks for the nod, @DoughnutANZ !
So nice to have two lovely photo threads. No arguments, just memories and beautiful images.

Here's the link for the One-a-Day photo thread. A thread for any kind of camino pics, just one at a time.

Last edited:

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But my longest straight road photo was taken near Santo Domingo de la Calzada on the Camino Frances

IMG_20190527_100812929.jpg
I may have taken a similar picture but if I had it didn't survive an SD card mishap. I do have these from the same location, although they break the road theme. There is another theme.
D10000-HOR.jpg D09900-HOR.jpg D10100-HOR.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.