• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When Posting Reviews on Gronze . . .

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I just need to vent here a minute. I've been booking lodgings for my next Camino (not my group, but my own).

I would like to ask people who post reviews, especially on pilgrim sites such as Gronze, to remember where they are and what they are there for and THINK about what they are saying?

I have been SHOCKED at some of the negative reviews on Gronze. Pilgrims who are staying at DONATIVO places or places where they're paying less than €20 per night are complaining about having to wash their own dishes, cook their own meals, clean the bathrooms after themselves. I guess nobody told them their mother isn't walking behind them and they should act like adults and clean up after themselves.

They're also complaining about the meals, the softness or hardness of the beds. One woman left a nasty review on a donativo parochial because she had to sleep on a mat on the floor! A DONATIVO! (To me those mats are more comfortable than some beds). She had a roof over her head and a warm place to sleep and complained about the meal not being enough. I wonder what donation SHE left?

What the heck, people?!

Others complained that they were "forced" to participate in religious activities at donativo parochials. Hello? They're run by the church? Pay for a private if you don't like religion?

I am just disgusted with some of the negative reviews. I think it would be nice if the owners of Gronze would let people reply/respond to those folks but I guess it would turn into something ugly.

Who can blame nice little albergues for shutting down!?

It's just beyond words, really . . .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Others complained that they were "forced" to participate in religious activities at donativo parochials. Hello? They're run by the church? Pay for a private if you don't like religion?

Sorry- I still don't know how to quote, but Anniesantiago's post reminded me of a post about the camino film a year ago or so being "too Catholic". We more than often stay in private accomodations but I can't imagine leaving a negative review about anywhere that I could lay my head in a warm room with clean sheets. I am unable to imagine what anyone who posts such negativity is thinking or living. I can only hope that those reading the reviews take the negative with a "grain of salt". I know that when I look at reviews irrespective of the site I pay more attention to the "3" stars in the the middle rather than the top or the bottom.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's part of an online culture that — unfortunately — enables and encourages people to share their "opinions" on everything and everyone, usually anonymously. Seldom are such opinions worth taking seriously — just look at all the negative reviews for restaurants, say, on Yelp or TripAdvisor that people leave because a waiter forgot part of an order or the kitchen happened to be off that day. Unless the "reviews" are uniformly negative on sites like these, I generally ignore them as best I can, and I'm sure that applies to Gronze as well. I certainly wouldn't be put off staying at an albergue because one self-important and entitled person claimed that the beds were "too hard"!

Last edited:
I agree, yet I disagree. Firstly, the negative reports are often exquisitely (though unintentionally) funny. Secondly, they are often well outnumbered by glowing reports on the same albergue page usually containing precisely the information the writer is moaning about, so little or no harm is done. But thirdly, we need to remember there are some very entitled people about and some of them find their way onto the camino, sad but true.

Last edited:
I just need to vent here a minute. I've been booking lodgings for my next Camino (not my group, but my own).

I would like to ask people who post reviews, especially on pilgrim sites such as Gronze, to remember where they are and what they are there for and THINK about what they are saying?

I have been SHOCKED at some of the negative reviews on Gronze. Pilgrims who are staying at DONATIVO places or places where they're paying less than €20 per night are complaining about having to wash their own dishes, cook their own meals, clean the bathrooms after themselves. I guess nobody told them their mother isn't walking behind them and they should act like adults and clean up after themselves.

They're also complaining about the meals, the softness or hardness of the beds. One woman left a nasty review on a donativo parochial because she had to sleep on a mat on the floor! A DONATIVO! (To me those mats are more comfortable than some beds). She had a roof over her head and a warm place to sleep and complained about the meal not being enough. I wonder what donation SHE left?

What the heck, people?!

I am just disgusted with some of the negative reviews. I think it would be nice if the owners of Gronze would let people reply/respond to those folks but I guess it would turn into something ugly.

Well said, Annie. One of my worries as I embark on my first Camino next month, is that I’ll encounter “these negative people” and not be able to hold my tongue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@J Willhaus Some of those Gronze reviews really make my blood boil too.
But I think as with Booking -com reviews and others, we soon learn to spot those who will winge and whine about the slightest thing.

I tend to take them with a pinch of salt.

If there are 20 reviews and 10 are bad, I'll read them carefully.
But a few 'muppets' moaning about something here and there matters not to me.
In fact, it will often encourage me to stay there!

Some of my favourite Albergues have some really bad reviews.
I just make sure to leave glowing reviews and often address the points that others complained about.

Some people are never happy.
No matter how many Caminos they walk..........they will never 'get it'...........

Thankfully I have never met any of them whilst walking.
They must do their complaining anonymously in private ...online. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Walking to Villar de Mazarife i met a Canadian girl and as we were walking an American guy joined us who had walked from SJPP!
While talking to the girl he said he had stayed in as many donitivo's as he could on the way they were great because they were "FREE" !
I put him right; and we parted soon after!

But from his response and no sorry i felt he would continue in the same manner!
(some people are ignorant of the facts. others are just users)

Regarding reviews on Gronze, Booking etc entitlement has many levels of expectation.

While trolling through places to stay i found a one star review that has stuck with me!
A woman left this because the hotel did not provide an ice bucket for their champagne!!
I could have solved her dilemma and drunk it for her 🤣

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Reviews of albergues are just peoples opinions, we must remember the majority of the people who give these bad reviews are holiday makers not pilgrims, unfortunately they don't know the difference between the two.
For me, I love staying in the local albergues, it's all part of the experience, but then I'm on a religious pilgrimage not a walking holiday and feel blessed with whatever accommodation I can get..

Reviews of albergues are just peoples opinions, we must remember the majority of the people who give these bad reviews are holiday makers not pilgrims, unfortunately they don't know the difference between the two.
For me, I love staying in the local albergues, it's all part of the experience, but then I'm on a religious pilgrimage not a walking holiday and feel blessed with whatever accommodation I can get..

I really do not want to go into another discussion about tourists and pilgrims ( yawn ) but I will repeat it again : there are selfentitled pilgrims who write negative reviews and then there are the so called holidaymakers who behave like angels on the Camino.
Again , a pilgrimage is about intention. St James does not keep records if a person arrives on foot, on bike or in a touringcar for that matter.

What the heck, people?!

Hello,

I understand and share your feeling.

At Gronze we allow those in charge and hospitables to respond to the comments that pilgrims make about their hostel. Just a comment and an answer, nothing more, because it is not a Forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's part of an online culture that — unfortunately — enables and encourages people to share their "opinions" on everything and everyone, usually anonymously. Seldom are such opinions worth taking seriously — just look at all the negative reviews for restaurants, say, on Yelp or TripAdvisor that people leave because a waiter forgot part of an order or the kitchen happened to be off that day. Unless the "reviews" are uniformly negative on sites like these, I generally ignore them as best I can, and I'm sure that applies to Gronze as well. I certainly wouldn't be put off staying at an albergue because one self-important and entitled person claimed that the beds were "too hard"!
Comments on Gronze are not anonymous.

IMHO, a donativo/non-profit albergue should not be subject to "reviews," because it's not in the hotel business. It's not a business at all, it is a dedicated charitable institution, there to serve a particular population in need. It's a little like giving ratings to homeless shelters... or eating the free lunch at the soup kitchen and complaining about the seasonings. It's irrelevant, out of line and utterly ingrateful.

Well I think the irony is much of the negative reviews quoted the elements would actually be positive in nature for most of us! But for those who would feel the same at least they can go to the hotel next door instead. So yes it would be nice if they didn't write comments in a negative fashion about things that are actually part and parcel of the places they are staying, but I would hope that the owners/volunteers are able to see through these, and maybe even have a little chuckle to themselves.

I only really had one experience of this on my CF. We were in the amazing little Albergue of El Pajar de Oncina just after Leon, and anyone that knows this place will know how warm and welcoming Olga the hospitelero is. Anyway, a young lady of certain geographical location walked in to the dorm in a strop because of something that had happened and exclaimed (to no one in particular) "seriously, you would think we were staying in their house" - which of course we basically were (although I refrained from pointing this out to her).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Although I fully agree with Annie's original post and the replies that followed, I do wonder about this particular thing...I have "heard" second hand a few times (not on this forum) that hotels and restaurants can decide to pull bad reviews from their own websites. Not sure if it applies to booking.com, etc. or not.🤔

What the heck, people?!

I am one who 'needs' such reviews as it reinforces what human nature can really be. Can be in the 'good times.' Wait until some 'bad times' surface and see how extreme these people can be. Human nature, deep down, is where one might not want to tread because it can be extreme in its brutish, horrific, and callous form.

What the heck, people?!

Anniesantiago - well said. Thank you!

IMHO, a donativo/non-profit albergue should not be subject to "reviews," because it's not in the hotel business. It's not a business at all, it is a dedicated charitable institution, there to serve a particular population in need. It's a little like giving ratings to homeless shelters... or eating the free lunch at the soup kitchen and complaining about the seasonings. It's irrelevant, out of line and utterly ingrateful.
Excellent point.

I could not agree more Annie ESPECIALLY with reviews of donativos. Some people have no clue whatsoever.
I always read the reviews on Gronze. I have noticed, at times, albergues with either an equal number of good or bad reviews or more good but also some bad ones. I always look for when the reviews were written. Often times a group of bad reviews may have been written 3 or more years ago or all written recently. Often a change of owners may have something to do with it. The. There are bad reviews based on a poor greeting by the volunteer or owner. Lack of a kitchen or some hair in a sink. Reading the reviews will usually paint a picture of a good place to sleep or a preponderance of past entitled pilgrims.
Annie, you’ve been around long enough to remember the Camino. So just treasure those memories.
TincaTinker, Since I discovered the joy of solitary Camino’s I have truly learned what being thankful is. As an example when I walked the Vasco last year there were a couple of municipal albergues which would have had some Pilgrims running for a Parador.
They were basic and basically clean. No bedbugs and also no kitchen or refrigerator or anything but a bed and a bathroom. One albergue I got the keys fron
The local police station. In the afternoon and evening 2 policemen came by to see if I was ok. In the morning I got to the station and it was closed. I walked back to the street and walked to the corner and from about 4 blocks away a police car saw me. He put on his lights and pulled up next to me and laughed and stuck his hand out and said llaves.
If aspects of what Camino was years ago is just a memory for you, walk a less traveled path and live it every day.

Last edited:
It would not have occurred to me to write a review of an albergue. The usual criteria -- location, facilities, staff, value for money, etc -- simply do not apply to a non-commercial hospitality service. Some of my most delightful experiences have been in the most basic accommodation; the delight was due to the ambience, the company, sometimes the shared meal, and not least to my own receptivity that day. The more exhausted I am, the more I appreciate any facility that welcomes me, however modest the facilities.

What the heck, people?!

Sadly, it seems indicative of the shortsighted times in which we live.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many of the those who leave such scathing reviews, seem to do so consistently, whether it be albergues or hotels, restaurants or bars. It really says more about them than the establishment they're criticising. A common trait amongst the entitled ones who feel the world, or in this case the camino, owes them something.

Having just stayed in several donavito on the Mozarabe (thanks to Nely's concise information), I can say that I certainly appreciated them, with or without a hospitaleros. All so varied which adds to the adventure and often the only accommodation in some out of the way areas.

When you form an opinion - good or bad - it depends where you are coming from. When I worked in Singapore many years ago, I lived in an apartment provided by the university. An American colleague had his father to stay. He said "That's the worst shower I had in my life; the water just trickles out". His wife (from Mainland China) had her father to stay. He said "That's the best shower I've ever had; the water was hot".

As an example when I walked the Vasco last year there were a couple of municipal albergues which would have had some Pilgrims running for a Parador.
They were basic and basically clean. No bedbugs and also no kitchen or refrigerator or anything but a bed and a bathroom.
The albergue in Poladura on the Camino del Salvador was clean, and had decent beds, but one couple took a look and the wife declared "we are not dogs, we cannot stay here," and they walked on. It was to my benefit as the solo female I had the women's bathroom to myself!

It would not have occurred to me to write a review of an albergue. The usual criteria -- location, facilities, staff, value for money, etc -- simply do not apply to a non-commercial hospitality service.
I am more inclined to leave a review when I have an outstanding experience, and welcome the opportunity to laud those hospitaleros that go above and beyond. One that stands out to me was the donativo Albergue de peregrinos La Ferrería in Amandi on the Norte. Not the greatest dorm room or beds, but the hospitalero made everyone feel so welcome - it was a highlight of my Camino.

I am more inclined to leave a review when I have an outstanding experience, and welcome the opportunity to laud those hospitaleros that go above and beyond. One that stands out to me was the donativo Albergue de peregrinos La Ferrería in Amandi on the Norte. Not the greatest dorm room or beds, but the hospitalero made everyone feel so welcome - it was a highlight of my Camino.

Me too. With regular commercial establishments like hotels I can find my self leaving a negativ/critical review if something is really off. But when it comes to albergues I can't remember even thinking of that, but I would leave a glowing review whenever that was applicable. And I will also "promote" them with my suggestions whenever somebody asks :)

I once saw a place on the CF with such dreadful reviews that I decided to stay there just for the fun of it. It was all true ... Both the solidarity among the inhabitants as they clustered in small groups to have a good grouse was truly extraordinary. Fair is foul and foul is fair.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am more inclined to leave a review when I have an outstanding experience, and welcome the opportunity to laud those hospitaleros that go above and beyond
This is the flip side, of course: if there are no reviews there are no good reviews. I´ve been looking at a lot at Gronze ´comentarios´, and the overwhelming majority of comments mention the hospitaleros and the overwhelming majority of those are positive. In the end, it is the hospitaleros who make staying in an albergue a positive or negative experience and when it is the former, they should get credit for it so it is nice when they do.

Last edited:

What the heck, people?!

What annoys me most of all is those who regard and treat donativo places as free and take more than they need without paying for anything. Often seem to have plenty of money for drinking and dining though and in some cases money for public transport as well, so that they can get to the next 'freeby' first. When I point out what donativo is about, shoulders are shrugged and they are not even embarrassed about it.
Because of the likes of them, the best and most genuine albergues may well be gone in years to come.
Such an abuse of true pilgrim hospitality
Sad and infuriating

Sorry- I still don't know how to quote, but Anniesantiago's post reminded me of a post about the camino film a year ago or so being "too Catholic". We more than often stay in private accomodations but I can't imagine leaving a negative review about anywhere that I could lay my head in a warm room with clean sheets. I am unable to imagine what anyone who posts such negativity is thinking or living. I can only hope that those reading the reviews take the negative with a "grain of salt". I know that when I look at reviews irrespective of the site I pay more attention to the "3" stars in the the middle rather than the top or the bottom.
Why am I laughing? Too Catholic? Pilgrims, it is the low season, and life will return to normal when folks can get out and about. I am about to respond to the OP, more there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

What the heck, people?!

Annie, first, how can you keep on going? I guess I know why. Your heart and your mind are in the right place. You have something to receive, but also something to give to many people, not least those of us who read what you post. Organising trips is your way to finance your desire to be on Camino. No joke.
I have only read a few of the replies, so I beg forgiveness if I step on anyone's toes.
You said: What the heck, people.
I take my hat off. Well, I would if I wore a hat every day!
I really do, you are fearless, and I admire that!
Here, in Ireland, we have a wonderful expression: "S/he has lost the run of her/himself.
In other words, lost the plot. Seriously, where has honesty, simplicity, gratitude, disappeared to? In any field, not just the Field of Stars.
All the best Annie, don't give up!

Another point: a bed and breakfast owner in Ireland told me that his livelihood depends on the last review. Before this instant soup packet world of reviews, there was an annual book of recommendations from the Tourist Board. Now, every minute is the one that might spell death to his business.
His was the only one along a local canal and river walk I had made the mistake of booking via one of the .com sites, instead of a phone call. I learned a lesson that day.

The tyranny and cruelty of reviews. I know a woman who put her heart and soul into her Airbnb and lost her crucial "superhost" status because some guest complained that the towels (new) were too hard.

On the other hand, the reviews keep the privados on their toes and they're now pretty good, and walker-centric in ways munis, parrochials and donativos refuse to be.

I leave positive reviews where I can and no review if not. I've never left a bad review and I never will. This is someone's pride and joy, and it's their livelihood. Tread softly always.

The albergue in Poladura on the Camino del Salvador was clean, and had decent beds, but one couple took a look and the wife declared "we are not dogs, we cannot stay here," and they walked on. It was to my benefit as the solo female I had the women's bathroom to myself!
I remember that albergue @trecile I was the only woman staying there - couldn't believe my luck that they had male and female bathrooms so, like you, I had a bathroom to myself. The other miracle was that in a room with 5 or 6 male pilgrims, no-one snored that night. Talk about luxury.😍

As regards the comment from the couple - I agree with others who've commented above, usually these sorts of 'complaints' say much more about the person than the establishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tyranny and cruelty of reviews. I know a woman who put her heart and soul into her Airbnb and lost her crucial "superhost" status because some guest complained that the towels (new) were too hard.

On the other hand, the reviews keep the privados on their toes and they're now pretty good, and walker-centric in ways munis, parrochials and donativos refuse to be.

I leave positive reviews where I can and no review if not. I've never left a bad review and I never will. This is someone's pride and joy, and it's their livelihood. Tread softly always.
The bit I want to refer to is the second paragraph. Help me here, @Gerard Griffin. Munis, parochial and donatives refuse to be...
Explain.
Well, maybe don't.
They are not in the running for reviews!
Their existence is not at all dependent on what you or I think of them and their service.
Service. yes, service. not obligation, just plain old hospitable service.
I do ask for forbearance, as I am just trying to balance your comment, and am not sure if it will, unwittingly, cause a polemic situation.
I do rather dislike labels.
Am I using polemic correctly? it was not in my school dictionary! :)

Who knows if they posted a review on Gronze or elsewhere - but I agree with others who've commented above, usually these sorts of 'complaints' say much more about the person than the establishment - and it's obvious that they are the outliers.
I think this is so true, @Pelerina. When I read many positive reviews about an albergue, guest house, casa rural, hostal or hotel, but just one or two lonely comments from disgruntled complaining persons, I think the problem is definitely them.

Or they could be reviewed but not rated? A word-of-mouth recommendation is a kind of "review." You just need to find the credible and objective reviews.

I am generally fairly positive writing reviews- I would add in something relevant or practical.
Yet my expectation of albergues is not super high - and I can be forgiving of hiccups.

I have spent an afternoon killing flies in one albergue on the CP (before Coimbra) as the kitchen bin had not been emptied for days - but it was otherwise comfortable and well thought through for a parochial one, it was an oversight. I have sat outside an albergue for hours as someone took the keys with them to work by mistake and the other keyholder was away. I was delighted in Vendee to have someone open a basic refuge for pilgrims in an attic of an old shed in an area with no accommodation though no toilet and the only running water was a hose outside - I would love to see the gronze or Google reviews on it!

As for reviews about a "lack of pilgrim spirit" - what is pilgrim spirit? I am thankful for the pilgrim spirit of a town council to provide and run even a basic albergue. For volunteers who run association albergues often giving back because of their pilgrim spirit and want to pass it forward. For the private albergues who choose to provide additional luxuries to weary pilgrims for more monies, these too add to pilgrim spirit often in a physically restoring way. To the albergues with a religious or spiritual element, how lovely to add to the spiritual side of pilgrim spirit. And even the experience of not finding a bed and having to sleep in a church porch, on a bench etc well that too is pilgrim spirit, one encountered by pilgrims of every generation.

Regarding thoughtless reviews, I have told this story before on a similar thread:

I was having lunch with a mixed group of veterans and first timers when one of the first timers asked about an albergue further down the Camino. One of the veterans exclaimed, "That place is horrible! I will never stay there again! Worst experience of my life on the Camino!"

Curious about their experience, I had the following conversation with that person:

"Bedbugs?"
"No, the beds were comfortable."

"Bad food?”
"No, one of the best meals I have ever had on the Camino."

"Were the people running the place rude to you?"
"No, they were quite nice."

"Was the place too cold or too hot?"
"No, the temperature was fine."

"Were the showers lacking hot water?"
"No, the showers were fine."

"Was it expensive?"
"No, the price was right in line with other albergues."

"Well, if there were no bed bugs, the food was really good, the people working there were nice, the temperature was perfect, there was hot water, and the price was fair, why would you never stay there again?"

"The guy next to me snored all night."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Regarding thoughtless reviews, I have told this story before on a similar thread:
A friend of mine has written a number of Camino guides. He received an angry email from one user because a bar mentioned in a guide had run out of paper in the toilets. At least six months after the guide was published but apparently my friend should have included that information in the guide....

Gronze offers users of their site, like most apps., the opportunity to comment on their experiences. Many people do and based on their expectations or personal requirements they comment favorably or not. That is their prerogative.

In my 10 plus Camino's, I can say I have never left a comment, regarding accommodations, on a website other than this forum. I do utilize Gronze.com for identifying accommodation, distance and topography. I honestly don't believe I have ever read a review. That said, I have commented on two particular Donativo's. The Church in Granon and David's place in Bodenaya. I love both these places but can understand how some people might have some discomfort sleeping on floor mats right next to other people. This same thought might apply to the old building in Roncesvalles where they had bunk beds pushed together and you slept next to whoever was next in line. I did not have issues with these accommodations but can understand how some might. No-one should ever have had a problem with Davids' place in Bodenaya, imo.

I have only found two places that I refused to stay because they were just filthy. I will not mention their specific location.

Finally, I do understand Annie's and others comments. While I empathize with them, I do see value in the review process, both pro and con, as the comments might guide someone into making a decision that better suits their expectations.

Walking to Villar de Mazarife i met a Canadian girl and as we were walking an American guy joined us who had walked from SJPP!
While talking to the girl he said he had stayed in as many donitivo's as he could on the way they were great because they were "FREE" !
I put him right; and we parted soon after!

But from his response and no sorry i felt he would continue in the same manner!
(some people are ignorant of the facts. others are just users)

Regarding reviews on Gronze, Booking etc entitlement has many levels of expectation.

While trolling through places to stay i found a one star review that has stuck with me!
A woman left this because the hotel did not provide an ice bucket for their champagne!!
I could have solved her dilemma and drunk it for her 🤣
🤣🤣🤣

The bit I want to refer to is the second paragraph. Help me here, @Gerard Griffin. Munis, parochial and donatives refuse to be...
Explain.
Well, maybe don't.
They are not in the running for reviews!
Their existence is not at all dependent on what you or I think of them and their service.
Service. yes, service. not obligation, just plain old hospitable service.
I do ask for forbearance, as I am just trying to balance your comment, and am not sure if it will, unwittingly, cause a polemic situation.
I do rather dislike labels.
Am I using polemic correctly? it was not in my school dictionary! :)

I hesitated about answering this question because I'm old enough to remember a time when it was possible for people to hold different opinions without falling out personally, when different views could be debated courteously and even joyfully. Those days are gone. Cancelling, "trolling", these are the words they use now. It's a pity, but that's life. Or not.

I love donativo albergues and always choose them because for me the ideal of voluntary service and of making the Camino accessible to the poor is wonderful, exceptional, to be cherished and celebrated.

But when I say that many (not all of course) are not "walker-centred" I mean that compared to privados you can't stay more than one night, you have to be in before 10, you have to leave before 8. This is a deliberate choice on the part of the organisations that run them, and of course I can understand the reasons for these rules. But imho they are restrictive in ways that prevent donativos from properly fulfilling their real purpose, which I see as one that facilitates the role of the Camino as a path of discovery, in spiritual and existential terms. Permitting the pilgrim to explore the ways in which the Camino differs from other long-distance hikes.

If you can stay after 8 am you can talk to other walkers and to the hospitaleros in ways that are hard when you have to shower, nap, wash clothes, shop, eat and sleep.

If you can leave your gear after 8 and come back to collect it you can explore the town and look for a mass.

If you can stay more than one night you can rest and develop your knowledge of the town and your fellow walkers in ways impossible if you have to move on.

Most important of all, with these freedoms it's possible for hospitaleros to talk to pilgrims, get to know them and answer their questions. I've seen so many situations in which young European and American kids on the Camino, who come from cultures in which voluntary service to others doesn't exist, look around and ask themselves "why are they doing this?". I've seen others in which troubled pilgrims are gently, delicately guided in a direction that may comfort them in affliction.

Hospitaleros consider that they have to work hard, cleaning, cooking, shopping, registering arrivals and so on. These things are important. But the answer is at hand, but found so seldom ... Get the pilgrims to help you. I've lost count of the times I've offered to hang around and help with the cleaning and been politely declined by hospis clearly run off their feet. I'm aware of the issue with donativos facing closure because trained hospis are unavailable, but the answer seems clear to me: recruit likely volunteers from the pilgrims and train them on the job.

As for the regulations: regrettably a little authority gives the wrong sort of person the opportunity to become bullies, stalking pilgrims who smoke on the terrace, refusing to take cards and insisting on cash when there's no cash point in town, shutting the door at 10 knowing that pilgrims are outside, refusing to let people in before 1 when they're baking in the heat, forcing elderly pilgrims to take top bunks, shouting at those still there after 8.01, giving pilgrims who break the rules a public dressing down ... It happens, not often, but that should be never, ever.

Three stories. There's a hostel which is a privado with the spirit of a donativo run by one man who does it all himself. He let me hang around after 8 and a pilgrim arrived at 10 who was stressed and sad, and he left the cleaning to chat with her in the garden about anything and everything. Nothing deep. I watched her spirit blossom.

Another donativo run by one man was full when at 11 pm there was a knock on the door and the hospi opened it to find a bedraggled group of kids who'd been thrown out of their hostel for partying. The hospi let them in, settled them down on mats on the floor, and gently calmed their troubled and shameful spirits.

Finally in a huge donativo with 2 hospis I overheard a conversation between the Australian hospi and a pilgrim about death. The pilgrim didn't say she was bereaved and the hospi didn't ask, but she told her of her work as a terminal care nurse and the way in which it informed her deep and joyful Christian faith. I could see the darkness lift in the pilgrim's wounded spirit.

That's what hospis are for. Clean floors are important and rules are there for a reason and need to be observed. Call it pastoral care.

But more Mary, less Martha.

Hi @Gerard Griffin - I do agree that it sometimes seems difficult - on this forum and in life generally - to have a difference of opinion that doesn't turn into something negative or combative. It's not important if I or anyone else agrees with all that you have said above ... But it's refreshing to see someone take the time to offer their thoughts in such a considered and well expressed response - as you have in your post.🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerard, I too, agree with the spirit in which you have shared your thoughts on the subject, but unfortunately imo, is that what you and many of us may wish for can only be exceptions, not the norm as we do not live in a perfect world. For the majority of the hospis, it seems especially in the larger albergues, it would keep them scurrying to complete their daily tasks in time to receive the next batch of pilgrims, particularly in the busier months. I do not see how a "come and go as you please" system would work well; sadly.

If you can stay after 8 am you can talk to other walkers and to the hospitaleros in ways that are hard when you have to shower, nap, wash clothes, shop, eat and sleep
It would surely be a one-sided conversation: most pilgrims will have left long before 8 a.m. to avoid walking in the heat of the day.

Alas, poor undervalued Martha! Housework does not do itself.

I hesitated about answering this question because I'm old enough to remember a time when it was possible for people to hold different opinions without falling out personally, when different views could be debated courteously and even joyfully. Those days are gone. Cancelling, "trolling", these are the words they use now. It's a pity, but that's life. Or not.

I love donativo albergues and always choose them because for me the ideal of voluntary service and of making the Camino accessible to the poor is wonderful, exceptional, to be cherished and celebrated.

But when I say that many (not all of course) are not "walker-centred" I mean that compared to privados you can't stay more than one night, you have to be in before 10, you have to leave before 8. This is a deliberate choice on the part of the organisations that run them, and of course I can understand the reasons for these rules. But imho they are restrictive in ways that prevent donativos from properly fulfilling their real purpose, which I see as one that facilitates the role of the Camino as a path of discovery, in spiritual and existential terms. Permitting the pilgrim to explore the ways in which the Camino differs from other long-distance hikes.

If you can stay after 8 am you can talk to other walkers and to the hospitaleros in ways that are hard when you have to shower, nap, wash clothes, shop, eat and sleep.

If you can leave your gear after 8 and come back to collect it you can explore the town and look for a mass.

If you can stay more than one night you can rest and develop your knowledge of the town and your fellow walkers in ways impossible if you have to move on.

Most important of all, with these freedoms it's possible for hospitaleros to talk to pilgrims, get to know them and answer their questions. I've seen so many situations in which young European and American kids on the Camino, who come from cultures in which voluntary service to others doesn't exist, look around and ask themselves "why are they doing this?". I've seen others in which troubled pilgrims are gently, delicately guided in a direction that may comfort them in affliction.

Hospitaleros consider that they have to work hard, cleaning, cooking, shopping, registering arrivals and so on. These things are important. But the answer is at hand, but found so seldom ... Get the pilgrims to help you. I've lost count of the times I've offered to hang around and help with the cleaning and been politely declined by hospis clearly run off their feet. I'm aware of the issue with donativos facing closure because trained hospis are unavailable, but the answer seems clear to me: recruit likely volunteers from the pilgrims and train them on the job.

As for the regulations: regrettably a little authority gives the wrong sort of person the opportunity to become bullies, stalking pilgrims who smoke on the terrace, refusing to take cards and insisting on cash when there's no cash point in town, shutting the door at 10 knowing that pilgrims are outside, refusing to let people in before 1 when they're baking in the heat, forcing elderly pilgrims to take top bunks, shouting at those still there after 8.01, giving pilgrims who break the rules a public dressing down ... It happens, not often, but that should be never, ever.

Three stories. There's a hostel which is a privado with the spirit of a donativo run by one man who does it all himself. He let me hang around after 8 and a pilgrim arrived at 10 who was stressed and sad, and he left the cleaning to chat with her in the garden about anything and everything. Nothing deep. I watched her spirit blossom.

Another donativo run by one man was full when at 11 pm there was a knock on the door and the hospi opened it to find a bedraggled group of kids who'd been thrown out of their hostel for partying. The hospi let them in, settled them down on mats on the floor, and gently calmed their troubled and shameful spirits.

Finally in a huge donativo with 2 hospis I overheard a conversation between the Australian hospi and a pilgrim about death. The pilgrim didn't say she was bereaved and the hospi didn't ask, but she told her of her work as a terminal care nurse and the way in which it informed her deep and joyful Christian faith. I could see the darkness lift in the pilgrim's wounded spirit.

That's what hospis are for. Clean floors are important and rules are there for a reason and need to be observed. Call it pastoral care.

I confess: a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Seriously.
What did I know about polemic when I was at school?
Sweet nothing. Even now, not a lot more.
In case, just in case, you think I was trolling: I would not honestly know how to do that! A troll was a funny kind of rubber faced creature from a mythical Nordic location...
I have no argument with you, OP.
It was really thoughtful of you to respond. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.