• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water, water...

SFHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Late April
Hi all! Starting the Frances route next week in SJPDP and was wondering how much water do most people carry?
I'm an avid hiker/backpacker and usually carry at least 2 liters. More from a fear of running out and not being able to refill than actually needing that much!
Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do the same, but have rarely run out. There are some longer stretches between towns on the CF where one needs to be more careful. Some people rely on refilling smaller water bottles in every village, and that might work. The risk is that fonts won't have been turned on quite so early if they have been turned off over winter. This was so some years ago when I walked my first camino at this time of year, and while I wasn't relying on them, it would have been nice to replenish my water at two places were the fonts were not working.

More recently I have walked other routes, and I observed that many village fonts are not guaranteed to be potable. I did collect water from a fast running stream at one point, and treated that. Otherwise, it is easy enough to ask for tap water from a bar when having a coffee, and replenish that way.

My hydration pack holds 2 liters, but I rarely fill it - only if there are long distances between services. Most days I carry about a liter. On the routes that I have walked I have always found places to refill or buy something to drink during the day. It's not a wilderness hike - there are many fountains to fill up your water plus towns to stop in to buy beverages.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I look at the weather forecast and also the number of fountains and only carry about 750 ml where there will be plenty of stops to refill. More (about 2 liters) on the long stretches like after Carrion de los Condes. I liked my Brierly guide for this. I don't recall if the Apps tell you where there are potable fountains...

I drink a litre between getting up, using the ablutions, remembering who I am and what it is I’m trying to achieve and setting boot to tarmac (other surfaces may be available). On the Frances, with a couple of exceptions, I’ll carry 500ml, drink (that’s the important bit) and refill at any fuente or Orujo source I encounter. In the High Atlas I’ll carry 3-5 litres per day and hope and pray that the next source is wet and reasonably potable.

Two kilos of water seems excessive to me for a village to village walk with regular replenishment available

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I look at the weather forecast and also the number of fountains and only carry about 750 ml where there will be plenty of stops to refill. More (about 2 liters) on the long stretches like after Carrion de los Condes. I liked my Brierly guide for this. I don't recall if the Apps tell you where there are potable fountains...
One of the apps I have does show potable water locations! Which is great!
Thanks!
My hydration pack holds 2 liters, but I rarely fill it - only if there are long distances between services. Most days I carry about a liter. On the routes that I have walked I have always found places to refill or buy something to drink during the day. It's not a wilderness hike - there are many fountains to fill up your water plus towns to stop in to buy beverages.
Lol...that's my thing! I'm use to wilderness/mountains hiking and will usually go through more water due to the strenuous nature of hiking. I'm guessing I won't need as much water for walking through country side!

Lol...that's my thing! I'm use to wilderness/mountains hiking and will usually go through more water due to the strenuous nature of hiking. I'm guessing I won't need as much water for walking through country side!
It depends a bit on how hot it is. But even on hot days there are ample opportunities to refill.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I keep a one liter camelbak bottle, that I refill every morning. Assuming a normal day that is enough but I also check the guidebooks to check about towns, fountains, and needed services. On at least a couple of days I picked up a second 1 liter bottle just to make sure.

John Hough

One of the apps I have does show potable water locations! Which is great!
Thanks!

Which app shows the location of potable water? Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm like the others. Unfortunately, I sweat quite a bit and am diabetic so I don't want to get dehydrated. I carry two liters of water (one with just water and the other with an eletrolyte solution). it's 4 lbs but worth it. That said, I've never run out. Come close on the southern VDLP but on the other Caminios (CF, Ingles, and CP) there seemed to always be places to refill (either water or beer :) ).

Agreed, you can manage with half litre if you drink plenty in the morning, and refill whenever there's an opportunity, also drink there. There's a merciful tap at the top of the steep part of Valcarlos route from St. Jean. Might need more on Meseta in warm weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Let weather forecasts be part of that calculus. Crossing from SJPdP to Roncesvalles I went through 6L of water. It was sunny and incredibly windy. All of the water I drank was stripped away from my skin (no bathroom break even with all that water...)
I kept 2 1L bottles with me and refilled when cooler water was available.

G

I carry a 660ml bottle (about a pint). I get into the habit of taking a good swig as I enter each hamlet or village, and refill it every time there is a source.
At Carrion los Condes (or similar places on other Caminos where there is a known gap between fountains) I buy an extra small bottle to see me through the hot 17kms before the next source.
One tip: don't throw away the (warmish) old water in your bottle until you are sure that the cold tap in front of you is actually working!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all! Starting the Frances route next week in SJPDP and was wondering how much water do most people carry?
I'm an avid hiker/backpacker and usually carry at least 2 liters. More from a fear of running out and not being able to refill than actually needing that much!
Thanks!
Hello
Ifr you are an avid hiker who usually carried 2L then by all means carry 2L. I actually had a 3L bladder, probably filled it up maybe 4-5 times but any other times it was 3/4 full. Within reasons there is plenty of water sources on Frances but I am of a mind that I much rather carry an extra kg of water than risk running out (which I did couple of times because the mind went into a panic hyperdrive and from that moment on I was not thinking clearly).
While we have nothing to fear but fear itself, IMHO the fear of running out and not being able to refill is a 'good' fear to have extra. If you drink it - it wont go to waste so no harm done
Good luck & Buen Camino!

Thanks!
We each carry two, two liters of water to drink when we walk. Being hydrated not only keeps you from retaining water but also helps to keep ankles, knees and back healthy.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carried two 1 liter Vapur folding water bottles, but only needed to fill one at any time on the Frances. They are great because they are so lightweight and the spare doesn't take up much space. They are also quite sturdy. I am still using mine 8 years later.

I usually carried 1.5L of water. I had 3 of the store bought .5L plastic bottles, two with water and one with electrolytes and would refill as needed. I never used any of the public potable water fountains, always filled up before leaving the albergue in the morning and would top off in whatever cafe I stopped in. I never had any issues finding water.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I carry about 2l in my ‘camel back’ and carry an extra 1l just in case on all of my caminos (and like Tincatinker drink plenty before I start in the mornings.) Never worried about the weight (never worried about any weight in my pack as I will happily add a bottle of wine and extra food if needed!). You can walk a long way without food, but once dehydrated you are stuck!

I'm generally very careful about having enough water, but I wouldn't bother with more than 1L on the CF. There aren't very many stretches where water is an actual issue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@SFHiker, Hydration is very individual. Some people need very little, some a lot. Plus, more than once on my Caminos I have found a tap/ fountain, only to find it wasn’t working. The only bar - closed.
If I had already been out, even another 5 km on a hot day could have been an issue.
It’s doubly important if you have any underlying health issues.

Bearing in mind that dehydration and heat stroke are two of the five major health issues facing us as pilgrims, I always encourage people to carry at least 500ml more than they think they might need.

Consider starting the Camino with more (1.5 - 2l), if you find it’s unnecessary, you can always carry less once you’ve established your daily requirements.

Personally, I never carry less than 1.5 litres, more if I feel it’s warranted by the day (very hot) or Camino ( not the Frances).

Half a litre = 1pound/ half a kilo. Or a possible hospital visit….

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for the correction.
I think you really meant "not being dehydrated" leads to the benefits, rather than "not being hydrated". I think they are more likely a result of having sufficient water in you than insufficient. If having less water was so good, we wouldn't describe it as insufficient.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you really meant "not being dehydrated" leads to the benefits, rather than "not being hydrated". I think they are more likely a result of having sufficient water in you than insufficient. If having less water was so good, we wouldn't describe it as insufficient.

I think you missed a "de" before hydrated when making your correction. :) It wasn't there in the original, but while you are correcting....
@David Tallan, I could not make sense of the post from @Scott Sweeney, but didn't think it appropriate to do other than the obvious proof reading correction that I proposed. Scott has been given the opportunity to explain what he meant. I think it is now up to him to clarify his post.

I walked May 18 - June 28. Carried a 500ml bottle water each day. I'am still here, didn't die of thirst. Of course I stopped at a few bars each day for hydration.

More from a fear of running out and not being able to refill than actually needing that much!
2L will be too much except on one or two of the longer sections if the weather is hot ; or on the few mountain sections ; or if you are planning to walk very high kilometre averages every day.

But even in the latter case, 1L to 1.5L should be enough, and you will usually find places to refill.

Just be more careful if you're planning stuff like some 40K days in hot weather on the meseta, as in circumstances like those it's best to carry more water than you'd usually need in other circumstances.

I have a one-liter Grayl with built-in filter. Filled it from pools and ditches two or three times on a hot day with no ill effect. There are other competing water filters available. This one: https://thegrayl.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks!
I usually carry 2L bag in backpack, but rarely fill it to max., so it probably would be 1.5 litres. I drink about 0.5L before breakfast stop. I then have a 1L bottle in a front pouch, which I use to top up as I go, depending on distance between "refill opportunities" and temperatures. For long stretches without any likely fill up, say 15km or more, then I'd drink minimim 0.5L before setting off and carry 2L - split between backpack water system and bottle in front. I found this system worked for me, but everyone has their own way that works for them.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back