• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

But what about the handicapped?

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm a veteran pilgrim, but have recently suffered an injury that has left me handicapped. I can walk, but with great difficulty. Still, I find that I'm unable to give up on my love of Caminos. I'm going to try for another one, maybe next year if I can get my legs to work well enough. My question is, are there any dedicated handicapped facilities in the albergue that would allow someone who cannot walk fast to still get a bed at the end of the day? We did the Norte last summer (before my injury) and beds were very scarce. My walking days may over I'm afraid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I believe that once you enter Galicia if you have documentation of your disability that you will be accommodated. I recall @JabbaPapa remarking about this on his last Camino and so maybe he will respond.

I was accommodated in a disabled room walking the CP in 2022 in a Xunta albergue. I had asked for a bed near a power point so that I could use my CPAP, and wasn't expecting more than that. I didn't realize this until the next morning, and didn't enquire about the conditions of its use.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a veteran pilgrim, but have recently suffered an injury that has left me handicapped. I can walk, but with great difficulty. Still, I find that I'm unable to give up on my love of Caminos. I'm going to try for another one, maybe next year if I can get my legs to work well enough. My question is, are there any dedicated handicapped facilities in the alberques that would allow someone who cannot walk fast to still get a bed at the end of the day? We did the Norte last summer (before my injury) and beds were very scarce. My walking days may over I'm afraid.
Another thing to consider, my husband had a terrible fall in 2017. We had planned to return to the Camino, but it was not possible for him to walk. Instead we took a course on volunteering in albergues with American Pilgrims on the Camino and ended up getting posted to an albergue in Zamora over Christmas 2017. We have been volunteering every since. Each year we walk a bit and volunteer for 2 weeks. It has changed our lives. Phil will be working at his 6th albergue and me my 5th this summer. A lot is possible.

I'm going to try for another one, maybe next year if I can get my legs to work well enough.
You may find that a little more planning is needed than before, but I encourage you to be optimistic that you can work something out. Your choice of route, month, and type of accommodation will all be factors to consider.

There is a good documentary about two friends on the Camino. One pushed his best friend in a wheelchair on the Camino Frances. It is called "I'll Push You " and is about 2 men from Boise where we used to live. I know there are people with all manner of disabilities who are able to walk the Camino. I hope you will be encouraged to consider how to manage any limitations you may have and return to the Camino in whatever way works best for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will definitely need to do more planning, and perhaps pick routes with frequent accommodations. There are a lot of places that didn't seem very accessible, but with some planning you will hopefully be able to make it work. It will probably help to have a good support system. Have you seen the documentary "I'll Push You"? It is a great documentary following the Camino journey of a wheelchair bound man and his childhood friend - as the friend helps him across the Camino - from SJPDP to Santiago. It is an amazing journey - and proof that it can be done if you have the right support system. The documentary also shows some major challenges they faced. This gentleman needed complete care from his friend. Sounds like you are much more able - but will likely need to find your own adaptations for the Camino. Anyhow - I find this documentary to be incredibly inspiring.

Another thing to consider, my husband had a terrible fall in 2017. We had planned to return to the Camino, but it was not possible for him to walk. Instead we took a course on volunteering in albergues with American Pilgrims on the Camino and ended up getting posted to an albergue in Zamora over Christmas 2017. We have been volunteering every since. Each year we walk a bit and volunteer for 2 weeks. It has changed our lives. Phil will be working at his 6th albergue and me my 5th this summer. A lot is possible.
What a great idea. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a group called DisCamino that specializes in pulling & people in Wheelchairs
for the Camino. They are shown in this video starting at the 3:20 mark:
Perhaps they can be of assistance. Their leader, Javier, has done over 80 caminos. And he knows
all the places that are more accessible.

I have noticed on my walks on the Portuguese and through Asturias and Galicia that many of the albergues, and all the ones that are municipal have accessible facilities (grab bars and roll-in showers, for example). As part of the EU member states, Spain has certain duties to accommodate and the only reason I cannot say anything specific about other provinces and/or autonomous regions in Spain is that I have not walked in them since 2018. I suspect that you will always find *something* that has accessible accommodations, and is meeting the “duty to accommodate” (time of arrival for example) in some manner.
I know someone with Parkinson’s who recently completed a shorter camino in a longer period of time (IIRC they took 3 weeks to go a distance usually calculated to take 2 weeks). I can ask for any recommendations for spots on the Frances from Leon onward.
Best wishes for your plans.

I had a heart attack two months before I had long planned to walk the Via de La Plata. My cardiologist said walking was the best rehab I could do. So I switched plans to the Camino Frances with much shorter distances between villages and (private) albergues. I was always a slow walker but now I am a very slow walker, particularly uphill. Now I pre-book most accommodations at private albergues 15 - 20 km apart, sometimes shorter or longer. Spontaneity is gone but I no longer have the stress of worrying whether a bed awaits. I can stop and smell the geraniums whenever. And I just walk 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Pre Covid I favored the municipal albergues. Post Covid I like to give my business to the private ones who endured the loss of business. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am very interested in doing the same with American Pilgrams. I just found thier web page last week. Sounds like a wonderful way to get involved and do some walking.

Yes, walk first, then train to be a volunteer. Be sure to stay in some of the places that use volunteers when walking. It is hard to get a flavor of what your experience will be as a hospitalera if you have only stayed in hotels, private rooms, and private albergues. A focus of the training is on hospitality and listening in addition to things you need to know to keep the albergue clean, cook, and solve problems. If you go into an albergue and the first thing they do is welcome you with a cool drink even before signing you in, then you should ask if they are staffed by volunteers.

I don't like old people who talk about their illnesses, but here I go... I've become one I guess!

I have a different type of disability. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities which means exposure to certain fragrances and chemicals can put me in bed for many days with migraine, swollen aching joints, etc. So when I book ahead, I ask that they do not spray fragrance in the room or use plug-ins OR that horrific cleaner Fabuloso! That stuff is noxious!

Anyway, my point is, in general people are happy to accommodate my disability.

Also, I have booked "Slow Caminos" for clients who cannot walk long distances by getting on Gronze, finding a place that is within the needed walking distance, and simply booking ahead. I've booked as early as 6 months in advance. A few places will ask that you book closer to time of stay, but most will accomodate.

Lastly, I've seen people doing the Camino on crutches, in wheelchairs, and with severe disabilities such as cerebral palsy (a young man who walked VERY slow but DID get his Compostela!). So it CAN be done if a person is determined.

J Willhause's idea is a good one too!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do the pilgrimage by wheelchair (but I can walk a few meter)
2016 I started in the Netherlands and every year I do a part of the road.
Last year I finished in Rocamadour (South of France) and there I will start next year again.
I have a small tent with me because that helps with finding a place to sleep. When the albergue is not accesible I can find a camping, garden, farm or go wild camping.

I think there are a lot possibilities when you want to and when you have access to a good wheelchair. (I have a Ti-lite wheelchair, Alber e-motion wheels and with a proactiv steering attachement in the front).

You can check my website/blog to read about my pilgrimage and about how I manage to do it. And feel free to ask any questions.

www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl (Rolstoelpelgrim means wheelchair-pilgrim in Dutch, most of my website is translated in English and French)

My question is, are there any dedicated handicapped facilities in the alberques that would allow someone who cannot walk fast to still get a bed at the end of the day?
On the Francès and the Português it's OK ; especially the Xunta Albergues in Galicia nearly always have such availability.

Someone in a wheelchair will have the priority, but whilst I came across a couple of wheelchair pilgrims, and a couple of blind ones, there was never any bed conflict.

I have a small tent with me because that helps with finding a place to sleep. When the albergue is not accesible I can find a camping, garden, farm or go wild camping.
That's a good general point -- I had my sleeping bag and an inflatable mattress, which were absolute necessities on the less-trodden paths, and often needed at times even on the Francès and Português last year.

As long as any pain is manageable and you're organised enough for rough sleeping, and you've enough discipline and determination, a Camino is possible, once you can manage 15K training sessions or better.

Personally, distances when starting out on a Camino are about 0K to 15K, gradually improving to 5K to 20K, with occasional 15K to 25K good days, but also some days with no walking at all. I averaged about 13½K daily on my last Camino, though that's partly because on the 2019 sections of it a 15K to 25K was normal, and I even managed one 35K day on tarmac and downhill all the way.

I thought my walking days were over in 2011-2012, but after learning how to walk again with knee braces, then spending a year training between 2013 and 2014, I managed a Camino from Lourdes in 2014 (haven't needed the knee braces since Lourdes BTW).

So it might take some effort @Paintboy2 , but with perseverance it should be possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't like old people who talk about their illnesses, but here I go... I've become one I guess!

I have a different type of disability. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities which means exposure to certain fragrances and chemicals can put me in bed for many days with migraine, swollen aching joints, etc. So when I book ahead, I ask that they do not spray fragrance in the room or use plug-ins OR that horrific cleaner Fabuloso! That stuff is noxious!

Anyway, my point is, in general people are happy to accommodate my disability.

Also, I have booked "Slow Caminos" for clients who cannot walk long distances by getting on Gronze, finding a place that is within the needed walking distance, and simply booking ahead. I've booked as early as 6 months in advance. A few places will ask that you book closer to time of stay, but most will accomodate.

Lastly, I've seen people doing the Camino on crutches, in wheelchairs, and with severe disabilities such as cerebral palsy (a young man who walked VERY slow but DID get his Compostela!). So it CAN be done if a person is determined.

J Willhause's idea is a good one too!

Good luck and Buen Camino!
That is great. I have to have a hip replacement. And don't know if I am going to do it before or after my Camino. So this type of information is just what I am looking for. We all have something to share with an illness or an experience with so.eone else's. It's your empathy not intolerance of listen to "Old people." Thank you fo sharing. Much appreciated.

I do the pilgrimage by wheelchair (but I can walk a few meter)
2016 I started in the Netherlands and every year I do a part of the road.
Last year I finished in Rocamadour (South of France) and there I will start next year again.

I think there are a lot possibilities when you want to and when you have access to a good wheelchair. (I have a Ti-lite wheelchair, Alber e-motion wheels and with a proactiv steering attachement in the front).

You can check my website/blog to read about my pilgrimage and about how I manage to do it. And feel free to ask any questions.

www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl (Rolstoelpelgrim means wheelchair-pilgrim in Dutch, most of my website is translated in English and French)
That's awesome. Adapt and over come.

I salute and thank you. I have been scouting Caminos for several years for my son, severely disabled with Multiple Sclerosis. He walked the Portuguese in 2015 with great difficulty but made it from Porto to Santiago with some help from taxis near the end of the day. We tried again in 2017 but it was a no go. He would like to walk another with me with a wheelchair. I had just about given up on this after much exploring (he would only accept help from me but not others). You give me hope. MUCHAS GRACIAS y Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I salute and thank you. I have been scouting Caminos for several years for my son, severely disabled with Multiple Sclerosis. He walked the Portuguese in 2015 with great difficulty but made it from Porto to Santiago with some help from taxis near the end of the day. We tried again in 2017 but it was a no go. He would like to walk another with me with a wheelchair. I had just about given up on this after much exploring (he would only accept help from me but not others). You give me hope. MUCHAS GRACIAS y Buen Camino
It is doable in a wheelchair. I do it every year. It takes a little more preparation and sometimes it is a big search to find out how to make things posible, which wheelchair is the best, where to sleep, etc. But it is worth to try and go for it.

On my website I write about how I do it.
www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl

That is great. I have to have a hip replacement. And don't know if I am going to do it before or after my Camino. So this type of information is just what I am looking for. We all have something to share with an illness or an experience with so.eone else's. It's your empathy not intolerance of listen to "Old people." Thank you fo sharing. Much appreciated.
One of my clients and now friends, Patty, is 80 and has had a hip replacement. She's walked the Camino Frances again since and is planning to walk the Portuguese in the Spring.

One of my clients and now friends, Patty, is 80 and has had a hip replacement. She's walked the Camino Frances again since and is planning to walk the Portuguese in the Spring.
I am 51 and will be having an I jection first. I am still far enough out from my camino date that i uave time..But luckily, all of my years of sports and continued cycling and such at least have kept my muscles and support structures healthy.

I keep thinking about that hike up through the Pyrenes...that might be a day without a pack. I do plan on Using luggage transport from time to time. And walking sticks for sure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I keep thinking about that hike up through the Pyrenes...that might be a day without a pack
You can split the stage between SJPdP and Roncesvalles into two days by staying at either Orisson or Borda the first night. It's the first 5 miles/8km that are the steepest.
The stage isn't technically difficult, just very steep at the beginning. No mountaineering required. It's mostly along a paved country road or good trail.

Here's a short video of what the trail looks like.

Last edited:
You can split the stage between SJPdP and Roncesvalles into two days by staying at either Orisson or Borda the first night. It's the first 5 miles/8km that are the steepest.
The stage isn't technically difficult, just very steep at the beginning. No mountaineering required. It's mostly along a paved country road or good trail.

If you are planning on stopping at Orisson or Borda, make a reservation as soon as you know what your dates will be. They do tend to fill up in advance.

Yes I have seen many videos about this section. It's gorgeous and I do not want to miss it at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back