• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying Eggs - Without making an Omelete en Route

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
One of the great uses for the Electric Coil, is to boil eggs.
Handy as early morning breakfasts or snacks along the way.

But how to carry raw eggs without cracking them??

I'm sure I read an ingenious tip from one of our members but can't for the life of me find it?

The only ultra light option I can think of at the moment, is a small sheet of bubble wrap, which will double as something to sit on.....

Any ideas?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I'm sure I read an ingenious tip from one of our members but can't for the life of me find it?

The only ultra light option I can think of at the moment, is a small sheet of bubble wrap, which will double as something to sit on.....

Any ideas?

Carry eggs from supermercado to albergue cada dia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use one of these, just a few ounces and yet to make an unscheduled omelette (he wrote knowing what fate and karma had just now decided...)!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.08.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.08.48 PM.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 16
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Boil them. Wrap in kitchen paper or tissues in small plastic bag. Did this for a couple of days when there were no shops or other sources of food. They survived intact, not even a hairline crack!

Consider a plastic jar that you would buy fruit cocktail in, as an example. Once empty, you can peel boiled eggs and pack them in water. As the jar is solid, no crushing. I am guessing that you do not need to carry unboiled eggs. If so, answers are above. But the same plastic jar could be an answer for that too.

Any ideas?

I never thought to carry raw eggs. I boiled them the night before and ate them during the day as a nutritious snack between meals. It's great, they come with their own wrapper! :) Easee Peasee as my granddaughter likes to say.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never thought to carry raw eggs. I boiled them the night before and ate them during the day as a nutritious snack between meals. It's great, they come with their own wrapper! :) Easee Peasee as my granddaughter likes to say.

Ahhh. But it is the stage prior to boiling. ;)
If they were bought in one place........to be transported to another place......for the cat of boiling :)

Maybe if staying in an out of the way place, requiring the eggs to be bought during the day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is what I bring in my backpack. I use it as my pack liner when not in use so it takes up no extra room.Screenshot_2018-01-01-06-06-13.jpg I can boil 100 eggs at a time and then share with all the Pilgrims at the albergues. Oops, I forgot...this is not the "this is not a serious thread" thread! :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is what I bring in my backpack. I use it as my pack liner when not in use so it takes up no extra room.View attachment 38510 I can boil 100 eggs at a time and then share with all the Pilgrims at the albergues. Oops, I forgot...this is not the "this is not a serious thread" thread! :p

Doesn't everyone???
Two is even better, one for the eggs and one for the rice :D :D;);)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Boil em first.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Eggs come in the perfect carrying tray - which also doubles up as up to 6 eggscellent eggcups... As a pilgrim I assume you will be accompanying them with 'peacekeepers' rather than 'soldiers'...?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Boil them. Wrap in kitchen paper or tissues in small plastic bag. Did this for a couple of days when there were no shops or other sources of food. They survived intact, not even a hairline crack!
That was my immediate thought too. Carry them boiled. I never would have occurred to me to do anything other than that. I have one of those plastic contraptions shown above, I never would have thought to take that either, but I think it is a wonderful idea!

But the challenge may be to find the eggs in the store, if you are a unilingual traveler who does not happen to speak the local lingo. A friend of mine traveling alone in France told me about being unable to find any eggs in a small village shop. He put on a pantomime of laying an egg for the shopkeeper, complete with sound effects and ending with his bringing one empty cupped hand out of his nether regions and pointing to it with the other hand. The shopkeeper brought a basket of eggs out from under the counter. Before my friend had completed his purchase, a local man entered the shop and the shopkeeper persuaded my friend (presumably without words) to repeat his pantomime for the entertainment of the new arrival. I do not speak hen, so would not be very successful with such a pantomime. Fortunately, I know the words for egg in French and Spanish. Somehow, words for things to eat are very high on my language learning priority.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess so. Assuming there is a Supermacado and it's open.
Don't really need a "super." A village that has an albergue likely has a small store. In Villamayor de Monjardín, the store was barely big enough to put three albergue bunks. But it was open every day and had eggs.

No need to boil. In Spain you can buy long life, unrefrigerated, hard boiled eggs in a six pack from the supermercado. :eek:
Bought a carton by mistake once. Imagine a hot fry pan, a little olive oil and really looking forward to a couple of freshly fried eggs cooked to perfection with runny yolks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You may actually want to make an omelette, the night before. Wrap it in foil, then put in plastic bag and your lunch is ready, or prepare it as a bocadillo from the start. I doubt you have any plans to eat them poached...

Nah! Just need for perfect posts by me. If posts aren't perfect, then perfect world is turned on its its ear. Then perfection ceases. Then, then, then....
I'm sure you have heard of Wabi-sabi, "perfect imperfection." I very loosely apply it to other areas of life. Makes things a lot easier sometimes. :)

[In traditional Japanese aesthetics, Wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".]

However, speaking of perfection, I once returned to a thrift store intending to purchase a lamp - which I had seen earlier that particular morning - only to find that another customer had put it aside for herself, but had not yet paid for it. Upon learning that I had been looking at the lamp earlier and, despite my strong protestations that, at that point, she had more right to the lamp than did I, she was adamant that I have the lamp, "because you saw it first," and "it's all in the line." Eventually, with some great reluctance I took the lamp, thinking that to have done otherwise would have somehow upset this lady's place in the universe. Can you explain this thinking to me? Perhaps by PM? All I know about this lady is that she is a follower of a particular kind of yoga.

€46,-

Any ideas?

Some outdoor shops sell plastic carriers for 6 eggs, the shape of a normal egg carton.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.