• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good addition to a baseball cap

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Schoolkids in Australia wear what is known as a Ā“LegionnaireĀ“s CapĀ“ for obvious reasons, although a Canadian friend tells me they are referred to in Canada as Ā“Havelock hatsĀ“ after a general in the British Raj. Macpac, a New Zealand firm that has shops in Australia, sell a version seen here gracing my own noble physiognomy and if you feel self-conscious about it, you can tuck it under the crown so that it looks like the kind of headgear a normal person would wear. The flap is also detachable thanks to the miracle that is velcro. You can get one like it in Decathlon but they donĀ“t look as good. Then there is the Berber scarf. I am not posting a picture of me in one of those.
1702612695308.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Schoolkids in Australia wear what is known as a Ā“LegionnaireĀ“s CapĀ“ for obvious reasons, although a Canadian friend tells me they are referred to in Canada as Ā“Havelock hatsĀ“ after a general in the British Raj. Macpac, a New Zealand firm that has shops in Australia, sell a version seen here gracing my own noble physiognomy and if you feel self-conscious about it, you can tuck it under the crown so that it looks like the kind of headgear a normal person would wear. The flap is also detachable thanks to the miracle that is velcro. You can get one like it in Decathlon but they donĀ“t look as good. Then there is the Berber scarf. I am not posting a picture of me in one of those.
Yes, I'm familiar with those kinds of hats. I thought that this was a clever way to use a favorite ball cap in the same fashion. And then it's easily removed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would use of this or an equivalent product help to prevent skin cancer on the back of the neck?

I saw this on Amazon today. It would be a good addition to a baseball cap, and possibly a DIY project.

View attachment 161032
I still get sunburned around the edges of that cap, which I tried it in 2017, then in 2019 I tried a baseball hat and gaiter and this year a sunshirt and hat.
While walking this year I walked with a Spanish peregrino who used a sun umbrella and didnā€™t break a sweat, and so I bought one for this springs trip on the Lana.

I hope to be as cool and relaxed as he was in the last photo.

See progression below.

IMG_2716.jpegIMG_1943.jpegIMG_6761.jpega558b5e0-92ce-4439-b6e3-7ff28ef119d4.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Practical, yes. But a practically unforgiveable fashion disaster.
I remember my daughter giving me two of pieces of advice when I reached 50. ā€˜You are too old to 1) use emojis, and 2) to wear a baseball cap (especially the ā€˜wrongā€™ way round!).

Thankfully I have never worn one anyway (bucket hats only esp. in Spain where Carlos Alcaraz has made them even cooler than they were before) but some draw the line at age 19.

Sadly I do have the referenced ā€˜Liam Gallagher-style upended flowerpotā€™ at the age of 57 but thatā€™s staying!

Last edited:
A ke ffiyeh would probably be most efficient as sun protection, but perhaps not wise in the current climate.

I wear a boina on camino, which is not too hot as you might expect and which has been worn all across Northern Spain for many years, maybe centuries. You don't seem to see them much outside of sports teams these days.

In Oz the fedora was king for a long time, but fell out of fashion. Perhaps it is making a comeback? The Canadian Tilley is a good option, but despite their claims of indestructability, mine was eaten by my washing machine. I didn't seek a replacement.

As someone who burns easily, I always cover up. Iā€™ve just upgraded to this:
It has a chin strap for windy days, an adjustable cord around the head, mesh to keep things cool and a wonderful brim that actually keeps you shaded - not to mention the back flap. I'm 50-something and haven't shown my kids ;-)
IMG_3472.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Practical, yes. But a practically unforgiveable fashion disaster.
Yes, but so are socks with sandals and I frequently see those on Camino. Along with Crocs, or rip-off variants thereof. Thankfully the fashion police remain at home, along with the makeup and obnoxious perfumes.
Comfort is King šŸ‘‘ on Camino!!

Yes, but so are socks with sandals and I frequently see those on Camino. Along with Crocs, or rip-off variants thereof. Thankfully the fashion police remain at home, along with the makeup and obnoxious perfumes.
Comfort is King šŸ‘‘ on Camino!!
Socks with sandals!? Really? Noooooo!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I saw this on Amazon today. It would be a good addition to a baseball cap, and possibly a DIY project.

View attachment 161032
Another option is to carry a bandanna and tuck it up inside the back of your cap. It's great protection against the sun and, if soaked in cool water, will keep you feeling comfortable. Plus the bandanna has multiple other uses...

As someone who burns easily, I always cover up. Iā€™ve just upgraded to this:
It has a chin strap for windy days, an adjustable cord around the head, mesh to keep things cool and a wonderful brim that actually keeps you shaded - not to mention the back flap. I'm 50-something and haven't shown my kids ;-)
View attachment 161041
This looks interestingā€¦please can you add a link to where it can be bought from? Many thanks!

View attachment 161032
The ticket for me is the Outdoor Research, Sun Runner's Hat
s-l1600.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I remember my daughter giving me two of pieces of advice when I reached 50. ā€˜You are too old to 1) use emojis, and 2) to wear a baseball cap (especially the ā€˜wrongā€™ way round!).

Thankfully I have never worn one anyway (bucket hats only esp. in Spain where Carlos Alcaraz has made them even cooler than they were before) but some draw the line at age 19.

Sadly I do have the referenced ā€˜Liam Gallagher-style upended flowerpotā€™ at the age of 57 but thatā€™s staying!

I read this and some were funny. But I have to say for me, who has never given two s*&Ts about clothig or fashion, and these pearls of wisdom are especially true on the camino, wear whatever you want and who gives a rat's butt about what anyone thinks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm with DTCamino on the umbrella. I tried the baseball hat with backside sunshade years ago. I was just too hot under there. I've been carrying an ultralight umbrella with UV protection on my last several Caminos. Nice and cool underneath, rain or shine. Buen Camino

I read this and some were funny. But I have to say for me, who has never given two s*&Ts about clothig or fashion, and these pearls of wisdom are especially true on the camino, wear whatever you want and who gives a rat's butt about what anyone thinks.
Sure itā€™s a joke really. I travel with two changes of shorts and t- shirts, and a pair of flip flops and a ā€˜Bruce Springsteen! T shirt from the 90s. Itā€™s not my Tinder profile shot though!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Ha ha. Excellent!! I have very bad feet so Iā€™m in! White socks though!! Not sure my daughters will sign that one off! Clearly I need to get out more and/or stop caring what my daughters think!!
You know, the id still has our sons and daughters firmly in its grip. So, if they canā€™t imagine something looking cool on you- discussion over!
Thatā€™s why I donā€™t ask for permission, only for forgiveness

I'm with DTCamino on the umbrella. I tried the baseball hat with backside sunshade years ago. I was just too hot under there. I've been carrying an ultralight umbrella with UV protection on my last several Caminos. Nice and cool underneath, rain or shine. Buen Camino
Terri! Where are you in this umbrella discussion?! You are the Umbrella Queen

Sure itā€™s a joke really. I travel with two changes of shorts and t- shirts, and a pair of flip flops and a ā€˜Bruce Springsteen! T shirt from the 90s. Itā€™s not my Tinder profile shot though!
I was laughing when I read what you wrote about your daughters. I get a bunch of grief from mine and I have for more years than I care to remember!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Terri! Where are you in this umbrella discussion?! You are the Umbrella Queen
I'm definitely team umbrella! After 7 Caminos my handsfree umbrella (which I bought used in 2016) was starting to look a little worse for wear so I bought a new one from Ivar when I was in Santiago this past June. I love carrying my own shade with me.

From your experience, if itā€™s windy, isnā€™t a hands free umbrella with chin strap hard on your neck? I would think your neck could be easily wrenched in a gust.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Sorry to the fashion police, but I will wear baseball caps until the day I die. And I have used run-of-the-mill cowboy bandanas to service as the neck cover. I have even made the bandanas wet to cool me off, if needed!

As for sandals and socks, that goes without saying! It's a must for the evening when it's too cold to wear sandals alone and I can't bear to put my feet back into the day's walking shoes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In strong wind the umbrella is in the hand. In very strong wind it is in the backpack side pocket. And I do wear a very light baseball cap. (Bill forward.) Keeps the rain off my face in strong wind. Buen Camino

Sorry to the fashion police, but I will wear baseball caps until the day I die. And I have used run-of-the-mill cowboy bandanas to service as the neck cover. I have even made the bandanas wet to cool me off, if needed!

As for sandals and socks, that goes without saying! It's a must for the evening when it's too cold to wear sandals alone and I can't bear to put my feet back into the day's walking shoes.
You speak for me...on everything you said! I do the same.šŸ‘

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From your experience, if itā€™s windy, isnā€™t a hands free umbrella with chin strap hard on your neck? I would think your neck could be easily wrenched in a gust.
No chin strap. It's not an umbrella hat!
The umbrella attaches to clips on the shoulder strap and with a cord lock onto the hip belt.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Yes my daughterā€™s advice only applies to men, and maybe only to me, I think!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The umbrella attaches to clips on the shoulder strap and with a cord lock onto the hip belt.

I have the Euroschirm umbrella that Ivar sells that weighs 16oz and the Gossamer Gear one that weighs 6oz, both with the hands free kit.
Iā€™ve been hiking with the Gossamer gear and itā€™s has worked great even in the wind and rain, however if itā€™s was gale force the Euroschirm is sturdier. Iā€™m looking forward to walking in the sun with an umbrella this spring.
I will probably take both (one for me one for my daughter) on the Lana and will report back which was better when I return.

I use the Zpacks umbrella. Don't know the weight but probably closer to 6 oz than 16. In a strong wind, though, that longer handle would be "handy." Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use the Zpacks umbrella. Don't know the weight but probably closer to 6 oz than 16. In a strong wind, though, that longer handle would be "handy." Buen Camino
One year I brought the Euroschirm ultralite trekking umbrella, and it broke with the first wind gust. I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold by Gossamer Gear and Zpacks are also made by Euroschirm. Although it's quite a bit heavier I will stick with the Euroshirm hands free umbrella becuase it's been so reliable. It has turned inside out several times in a strong wind, but I've always been able to revert it to normal.

One day on the Aragones this past October I had to hold it in front of me with two hands, one on the handle and the other by the rim. Thought it was going to be ruined. Gave up and put it away -- for a rainy day. Or a sunny day. But not a strong wind day. Getting old, not sure I want to carry a heavier one. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I see a baseball cap being worn on a hot sunny day, it makes me wince. All that harmful UV on the tops of your ears and cheeks (on your face) and the unobstructed radiation to the back of your neck. And not to mention the little adjustable material strap or a plastic strap with holes, at the back. Naff. The cap on your head with no void/volume to allow some ventilation to your scalp.
Get a full brimmed hat with a chin cord just in case a wind blows in.

Buen Camino and a Merry Christmas '23 and a happy New Year '24 to All pilgrims šŸ™

View attachment 161033
They were also called Havelocks in the US during the Civil War. I think both sides wore them and called them that.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.