• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long walk home

Dael

Dael
Time of past OR future Camino
2002-2004-2006-2008-2011-2015
Cycled from Scotland,walked Francias, walked V.D.L.P, winter on Francais, stroll on Englaise
Hi folks,
As my final Camino I decided to try and replicate a medieval pilgrim's journey returning home to Scotland from Santiago.
I had already walked and cycled the Camino 6 times on different routes and at varying times of year
I began walking from Santiago in October, 2015 but, due to tragic and compelling family circumstances, had to stop walking at Sarria and immediately fly home. I was unable to return to Spain but carried on with dedicated walking days through the Scottish Winter and Spring to complete an equivalent distance.
On 4th May 2016 I flew to Biarritz and began walking north on a dedicated cycle/walking route known as "La Velodyssee" which runs parallel to the Atlantic Ocean. To make life easier for myself I decided A. to camp every night, B. push my rucksack, tent etc. on an all-terrain baby buggy and to C. live on a wonder food which is a powder added to water.
The weather in France did its best to make me feel at home as rainy days became almost the norm. I spent one day tent bound by a thunder storm but only had one night when water penetrated the inner tent - interesting. Another interesting encounter was with two armed gendarmes who evicted me from a wee patch of grass beside a beach -"camping is forbidden" And I had to walk another 5km on top of the 26km already walked that day.
The baby buggy made light of the journey and my wonder food filled all of my dietary needs without needing to carry a stove or spend a fortune in restaurants. The manufacturers even managed to re-stock me mid journey for the princely sum, for carriage,of £5. Thank you HUEL.
Biting insects were a nuisance (I was wearing my kilt) but a spray - BUG SOOTHER - took away the itch and,when I remembered to spray myself before leaving the tent, kept the little darlings at bay.
During the journey I had the pleasure of spending time with 3 different shell carriers heading south and many short chats with former pilgrims met enroute.
By the time I reached the Loire estuary I had been beaten low by the weather and fatigue and pulled into a wee campsite which proved to be my last. It was a 'party' site and sleep was hard to come by and I decided to finish walking there. When I emerged from my tent in the early morning in a very grumpy mood I found a till receipt attached to my tent. On the reverse was written "Buen Camino - from a former pilgrim". Bless you who ever you are, you made an auld man very happy.
My electronic on-board toys showed that I walked 998km but I'm sure the night walks to the sanitaire made that up to a round 1000km.
The medieval Scots were not on the best of terms with the folk who live between France and Scotland so probably missed that bit out and travelled by sea. I will begin the final leg of my Journey in September at the river Tweed, which is the border, finishing in the ruined cathedral in St.Andrews where I will scatter the mortal remains of my Sister and Son-in-Law who have been travelling with me on my LONG WALK HOME.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good to read a little of your journey. I walked much of the same route in the other direction: from my current home near Swansea to Portsmouth, then from St Malo via Rennes, St Nazaire, La Rochelle, Royan, Arcachon and Biarritz to end at St Jean Pied de Port. The Atlantic cycle route came in very handy for many sections along the way!

Your avatar photo looks very familiar. I lived in St Andrews for 7 years - 2 of them in a flat about 50 metres from that very spot :) A very special place for me too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WOW!!! I am impressed. Yes we modern pilgrims often forget that those who walked in 10th/11th/12th century after reaching Santiago or Finisterre/Muxia then turned around (and in new clothes?) started walking home. The return journey would often be as dangerous as the outward one. Seeing I live 17982 km (or there abouts) from SDC I think I can be forgiven for not even considering walking home. Cheers:)o_O:D

Buen Camino, @Dael...I'm very touched by your story. May you be safe and well along the way to St Andrews--and hoping you and @JohnnieWalker do manage to finish that bottle together in SdC someday!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A very interesting and inspirational account of your journey Dael. I'll be heading for your homeland and my ancestral home in the Spring. I once heard an expression for us elders as 'Super Adults' rather than senior citizens. And it came from the ticket taker at the Drummond Gardens in Edinburgh.
Bless the likes of you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.