• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pacemaker Implant Surgery Tomorrow. A New Phase for Future Caminos.

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.]

What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself.

Tomorrow morning I am having surgery to implant a pacemaker. It was the decided treatment after severe fatigue and weakness, along with occasional dizziness and almost constant mental fog began to set in last October/November. Those who have been through this drill fully understand the lengthy and tedious process required to get to a precise diagnosis and then treatment.

As far as can be determined, this is not related to an earlier struggle I had to deal with AML or its treatments.

The issue is a Left Branch Bundle Block which is affecting the lower chambers of my heart to contract at less than 35% of their normal strength, along with being all out of synch with each other. MRI's with and without contrast media, stress testing and scans, ECGs, etc. show that their is no evidence of cardiac muscle scarring from infarctions, not any narrowing or blockages of the coronary vessels.

So, it will be interesting to see what the entire process of post-implant recovery, along with some temporary medications to help get the cardiac muscle strengthened, will be for me. How long will it take to get back to a normal feeling of wellness? How long will it take to gain adequate fitness for backpacking and Camino walking? How grumpy will I be from impatience and being a bit bionic?

I can only be amused at my younger self's arrogance of feeling all bulletproof and cocky. Age does it's own thing, God smiles at assumptions, and reality is that bucket of ice cold water waking you up from a comfortable slumber while making you gasp for breath. :)

It's All Part of the Adventure. 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very best of luck to you and hopes for a speedy recovery. Your advice has shaped my Camino gear list (and footwear and backpack fitting) more than anyone.

Side note: I'll be fishing with my 80-year old uncle in Maine next week. He had a pacemaker put in about ten years ago. I ski with him in the winter but I do not love it -- I cannot keep up with him!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All the very best Dave. My brother offers a note: make sure that your surgical team know you’re a backpacker. The common site for the implant is just below the collar bone and just where your pack straps impose their presence. His surgeon was a keen climber, understood, and adjusted the siting accordingly.

Judging by my brother you’ll be good to go much sooner than you’d think 👍

Best of luck to you Dave and a fast recovery to celebrate the way you like with a fruitful walk on Camino.
I do understand your concern as at the end of the month, I have to give my Neurologist a decision to begin the study for a possible surgery to implant an electrode in my brain to help control my tremors due to Parkinson’s. That rod will be connected to A device similar to a pacemaker.
Today you will be added in my daily prayers for your prompt recovery and for you to keep us prepared with your advices.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The advice re placement and back pack straps is excellent, if I was you I would put my back pack on now, with no shirt on, and mark with a pen where they are, and ask the surgeons to do their best to avoid.
A Pacemaker should cause very little to no hinderance to your activities once the initial wound soreness goes (its not so bad, do not worry)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ultreia, Dave! Keep going forward, persevere! Hope to see you out on the trail soon, and best wishes for a smooth procedure and rapid recovery.

What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself.

Tomorrow morning I am having surgery to implant a pacemaker. It was the decided treatment after severe fatigue and weakness, along with occasional dizziness and almost constant mental fog began to set in last October/November. Those who have been through this drill fully understand the lengthy and tedious process required to get to a precise diagnosis and then treatment.

As far as can be determined, this is not related to an earlier struggle I had to deal with AML or its treatments.

The issue is a Left Branch Bundle Block which is affecting the lower chambers of my heart to contract at less than 35% of their normal strength, along with being all out of synch with each other. MRI's with and without contrast media, stress testing and scans, ECGs, etc. show that their is no evidence of cardiac muscle scarring from infarctions, not any narrowing or blockages of the coronary vessels.

So, it will be interesting to see what the entire process of post-implant recovery, along with some temporary medications to help get the cardiac muscle strengthened, will be for me. How long will it take to get back to a normal feeling of wellness? How long will it take to gain adequate fitness for backpacking and Camino walking? How grumpy will I be from impatience and being a bit bionic?

I can only be amused at my younger self's arrogance of feeling all bulletproof and cocky. Age does it's own thing, God smiles at assumptions, and reality is that bucket of ice cold water waking you up from a comfortable slumber while making you gasp for breath. :)

Howdy Pilgrim, good to hear that you are taking a proactive stance in regard to your health. I have been stubborn for the last several years. Both my knees have severe osteoarthritis. I was not sold on having knee replacement surgery, but I finally have made the decision to have the surgery on both my knees with the intent of doing the Camino next year. God bless you and may you have a speedy recovery.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hope you have a speedy recovery, and you're back on the trail soon!

I had a heart attack at a young age 47, open heart surgery, two stents, and a pacemaker. I have 2/3 of a working heart and now seven Compostellas. Take your time, know your limits, sit down and watch the world. The Caminos are there for you.
Word of caution: a pacemaker is NOT a turbo, we are alive and gracias but use the stairs when you think of conquering tall buildings. Onward

Best wishes amigo peregrino! I look forward it seeing you on the trail!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

You can Do It! Welcome to the Energizer Bunny Club.

Hope your recovery and new lease on life goes well.

Buen Camino!

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hope your recovery hoes to.plan and you will soon.be walking another Camino!

Dave, bon courage.
I didn't want to write a long winded response but decided to add my 2 cents worth. I had a Medtronic pacemaker installed about six months after a triple bypass in 2021, due to an afib issue. It has been seamless to date. It was an emergency surgery so there was no time for much research and I do wish I had know about telling the surgeon about my backpacking issues as far as where to locate the device. One caveat, and I don't think it is a major issue, but Medtronics monitors the device via a Bluetooth connection. I think it is more of a product issue than an early warning system. According to my electro-cardiologist, the things they are looking for is battery issues and a very low reading. There are no redlights or alarms that will are set off if you are in fact having a heart failure issue. The Bluetooth monitoring is done via my cellular service on my iPhone. When I was living in Portugal last year, I asked my cardiologists there to arrange to have it monitored remotely. For various reason, that did not work and I had to install a small desktop monitor in my bedroom that did not have a very large reception area. I would be asking the prudent question of your cardiologist about the importance of this monitoring your device and how long you can go without a connection.

From reading the thoughts in your email, you will recover soon and will be walking a Camino as your 'new self.' Godspeed.

€46,-
All the best from France for your surgery and a quick recovery!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Wishing you all the best for a good outcome with this procedure Dave - I hope that all goes well and that we will see you up and about and ready for another Camino and many more wise words soon. Susanawee.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dave I wish you a full and speedy recovery! You have been so incredibly helpful on a personal level regarding equipment. HOKA Bondi’s 9th pair Speedgoat’s 3rd pair…socks…Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack! In my house I simply refer to DaveBugg to explain purchases 😊

Some personal experience on health front heart issues 20 years ago, partially detached retina requiring emergency flight home while on a Camino and now upcoming surgery.

Heal, rest and come back stronger than ever!

UPDATE:

First and most important: I am absolutely blown away, grateful, and my spirits lifted by all of your generous wishes and wonderfully kind words for recovery. I will want to sent personal messages to all who took the time to post on this thread, but for now I did want to acknowledge what your posts meant to me.

Thank you all so very much.

The pacemaker stuff:

I just returned home 30 minutes ago.

Five hours ago, I entered the hospital and was admitted to day surgery room. After changing, signing a few more papers, and getting an IV inserted with a bag of fluids, I was wheeled into the operating room. There I was given some light sedation in my I.V. drip. Lot's of light conversation with the medical team and some great jokes told. I was more or less drowsing during the procedure than being awake .

I never had to be in a recovery room because there was no recovery needed dur to general anesthesia. The sedation had been halted a bit before the 'sewing up and bandage phase' started. By the time all was completed, I was feeling pretty clear headed.. . .even more so when taken back into the room to wait for discharge.

My GOSH. . . I could, and can tell a ton of difference already in clear headedness and lack of mind fog, lack of shortness of breath, feeling that heavy fatigue. . . And the cardiac surgery staff assured me that it is just the hint of how I will feel as the recovery for the next 4 to 6 weeks continues.

I did take Tincatinker's suggestion - that was seconded by Bedspring - and had Jill trace the outline of my backpack's shoulder strap on the bare skin of my Left side shoulder and chest with an ink pen. Definitely not a job for a #2 pencil :) The Cardiologist thought that was a great idea, and said he makes that kind of consideration of placement for hunters and target shooters, too.

The device was attached and secured on top of the chest muscle below the fat layers. He doesn't routinely place the pacemaker in a pocket within the chest muscle which I had thought was the norm. I'm glad about that. placing the pacemaker on top of the chest muscle results in shorter healing, less post-operative discomfort, and is easier to replace the unit when battery change is needed or lead wires are deteriorated.

Thanks again, you guys are terrific. I'll let you know how progress is going as recovery milestones are reached.

Love you all,
Dave

I’ve only rarely been checking the forum while I’ve been walking, but after seeing your original post, I popped back to see if there might be an update. Such good news. May the healing continue….and everyone else who is waiting for surgery on this forum experience as good an outcome as you have. Rest up well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeh, great report. I forgot about a male walker at masters athletics who had it done 18 years ago and still going well at 72.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad it went well and wish you all the best for a speedy and complete recovery, not just from the surgery (of course) but from what prompted it now that the treatment is in place.

Dave you are set for the future, you are now EV powered.
My wife had one fitted last year and is enjoying a far lighter step.

O'B.J.(i)

Best of luck to you Dave and a fast recovery to celebrate the way you like with a fruitful walk on Camino.
I do understand your concern as at the end of the month, I have to give my Neurologist a decision to begin the study for a possible surgery to implant an electrode in my brain to help control my tremors due to Parkinson’s. That rod will be connected to A device similar to a pacemaker.
Today you will be added in my daily prayers for your prompt recovery and for you to keep us prepared with your advices.
I appreciate your wishes, thank you; and please let me know how things are sorted out for a decision on your treatment. I can't imagine how you are feeling and coping with the issue of Parkinson's, but I can imagine the blessing that an effective 'pacemaker' would be to deal with the symptoms.

My prayers are with you, amigo.

€46,-
I’ve only rarely been checking the forum while I’ve been walking, but after seeing your original post, I popped back to see if there might be an update. Such good news. May the healing continue….and everyone else who is waiting for surgery on this forum experience as good an outcome as you have. Rest up well.
Thank you, Rachael. I gain courage and inspiration from the life stories of Forum members going through serious issues. If my posts do the same for another, I figure it is part of the 'giving back'. :)

Dave I wish you a full and speedy recovery! You have been so incredibly helpful on a personal level regarding equipment. HOKA Bondi’s 9th pair Speedgoat’s 3rd pair…socks…Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack! In my house I simply refer to DaveBugg to explain purchases 😊

Some personal experience on health front heart issues 20 years ago, partially detached retina requiring emergency flight home while on a Camino and now upcoming surgery.

Heal, rest and come back stronger than ever!
Wow. . thank you for saying that!!!

Did I read it correctly, that you are soon to undergo eye surgery? My goodness...please let us know your progress and outcome.

Be well until then...Dave

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow. . thank you for saying that!!!

Did I read it correctly, that you are soon to undergo eye surgery? My goodness...please let us know your progress and outcome.

Be well until then...Dave
Thanks Dave,

Eye surgery happened twice…once requiring emergency flight back to Canada. Now something new Prostate Cancer…caught early…prostatectomy mid June. Sep 2024 Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome not likely.

Will be back at though as I am convinced you will be Dave!

I could, and can tell a ton of difference already in clear headedness and lack of mind fog, lack of shortness of breath, feeling that heavy fatigue. . . And the cardiac surgery staff assured me that it is just the hint of how I will feel as the recovery for the next 4 to 6 weeks continues.
Wonderful and very happy news, Dave! No more fatigue and light-headedness sounds like a fantastic improvement, just in time for summer!
20231019_082812.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dave, bon courage.
I didn't want to write a long winded response but decided to add my 2 cents worth. I had a Medtronic pacemaker installed about six months after a triple bypass in 2021, due to an afib issue. It has been seamless to date. It was an emergency surgery so there was no time for much research and I do wish I had know about telling the surgeon about my backpacking issues as far as where to locate the device. One caveat, and I don't think it is a major issue, but Medtronics monitors the device via a Bluetooth connection. I think it is more of a product issue than an early warning system. According to my electro-cardiologist, the things they are looking for is battery issues and a very low reading. There are no redlights or alarms that will are set off if you are in fact having a heart failure issue. The Bluetooth monitoring is done via my cellular service on my iPhone. When I was living in Portugal last year, I asked my cardiologists there to arrange to have it monitored remotely. For various reason, that did not work and I had to install a small desktop monitor in my bedroom that did not have a very large reception area. I would be asking the prudent question of your cardiologist about the importance of this monitoring your device and how long you can go without a connection.
There was a Medtronic's rep who attended my surgery and then visited me post recovery to go over the details of the Medtronic unit I received. (Jill was there too).

I remembered your information and asked about it. My, my how fast technology changes. It still uses Bluetooth, but apparently there was a recent firmware upgrade with the newest iteration and is supposed to maintain a strong signal to 10 feet / 3.08 meters, but then will slowly degrade from there. I wonder if your had an automatic download for the upgrade?

The kit I got included a standalone bedside monitor which I think is what you mentioned, that automatically downloads daily data at 2PM, or later if you are elsewhere and out of range. And the information on the smartphone app as well.

When the cardiologist visited later while still waiting for discharge, I mentioned your observation and he is going seemed fine with being out of range of monitoring for up to 5 days. But when the time comes to do a Camino or backpacking trip, I intend to revisit this issue and make sure the details are nailed down and are certain.

Thanks so much for taking time to give me the heads up. :)

I’m on my third pacemaker (first at 41). It’s a pretty benign procedure with many benefits once you have all of the settings dialed it. It’s amazing what they can adjust to help you feel better. You will be walking the Camino soon!
Thank you for that encouragement :)

Dave your generous heart and kindness has always been a wonder to us all. We are all in your rooting section to recover quickly and gain your strength for your life of wonder ahead of you. You are a man I respect.
As always, you are a positive force on the Forum and I welcome your kind thoughts, Amigo.

€46,-
Dave, how distressing to hear of your issue and uplifting to read your resilient attitude! We will all be sooooo joyful when you write of the start of your next camino. Stay on the forum, please, and keep us all posted of your recovery. Look how many well wishers you have, you lucky dog!!
💪🥾
I am profoundly grateful and heartened by such wonderful Forum Friends. Camino Family on the Pilgrimage route. . . And a great Forum Family for that In-Between waiting period before we are able to go again :)

You can Do It! Welcome to the Energizer Bunny Club.

Hope your recovery and new lease on life goes well.

Buen Camino!

Tom

Tom, damn you,. . . after the many issues you've had to deal with and recover from, and then carry on with Life, I would've been too embarrassed to just give up and pout about it. :) Thank you my friend. I hope that we can meet in SdC soon.

I had a heart attack at a young age 47, open heart surgery, two stents, and a pacemaker. I have 2/3 of a working heart and now seven Compostellas. Take your time, know your limits, sit down and watch the world. The Caminos are there for you.
Word of caution: a pacemaker is NOT a turbo, we are alive and gracias but use the stairs when you think of conquering tall buildings. Onward

What a blessing of Inspiration you are. Thank you so much for posting this. Believe me, I never ignore the advice of a veteran expert :) God's Blessings, my friend.

Howdy Pilgrim, good to hear that you are taking a proactive stance in regard to your health. I have been stubborn for the last several years. Both my knees have severe osteoarthritis. I was not sold on having knee replacement surgery, but I finally have made the decision to have the surgery on both my knees with the intent of doing the Camino next year. God bless you and may you have a speedy recovery.

Michael PLEASE keep us posted. Yours is an issue that I know is commonly shared and will be commonly considered by many others. I am praying for you and for an ideal outcome.

I hope you don't need luck!! Rather, I hope your surgery goes well, you have a safe speedy recovery, and rehab that gets you back doing things you love as well as you once did.

Doug, if ever I need to rely on some research as to this issue as time goes on, I am putting you on speed dial, my friend. Thank you. :)

Thanks Dave,

Eye surgery happened twice…once requiring emergency flight back to Canada. Now something new Prostate Cancer…caught early…prostatectomy mid June. Sep 2024 Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome not likely.

Will be back at though as I am convinced you will be Dave!

I hope we cross paths. :)

Get well soon. And keep that attitude!

After my severe heart-attack in March 2022 (with Stents, Rehab and co.) I felt much rejuvenated that I made a voyage to the Provence in August 2022 and walked the CP in July 2023.

All is possible, if you take some minor precautions.

€46,-
UPDATE:

First and most important: I am absolutely blown away, grateful, and my spirits lifted by all of your generous wishes and wonderfully kind words for recovery. I will want to sent personal messages to all who took the time to post on this thread, but for now I did want to acknowledge what your posts meant to me.

The pacemaker stuff:

Five hours ago, I entered the hospital and was admitted to day surgery room. After changing, signing a few more papers, and getting an IV inserted with a bag of fluids, I was wheeled into the operating room. There I was given some light sedation in my I.V. drip. Lot's of light conversation with the medical team and some great jokes told. I was more or less drowsing during the procedure than being awake .

I never had to be in a recovery room because there was no recovery needed dur to general anesthesia. The sedation had been halted a bit before the 'sewing up and bandage phase' started. By the time all was completed, I was feeling pretty clear headed.. . .even more so when taken back into the room to wait for discharge.

My GOSH. . . I could, and can tell a ton of difference already in clear headedness and lack of mind fog, lack of shortness of breath, feeling that heavy fatigue. . . And the cardiac surgery staff assured me that it is just the hint of how I will feel as the recovery for the next 4 to 6 weeks continues.

I did take Tincatinker's suggestion - that was seconded by Bedspring - and had Jill trace the outline of my backpack's shoulder strap on the bare skin of my Left side shoulder and chest with an ink pen. Definitely not a job for a #2 pencil :) The Cardiologist thought that was a great idea, and said he makes that kind of consideration of placement for hunters and target shooters, too.

The device was attached and secured on top of the chest muscle below the fat layers. He doesn't routinely place the pacemaker in a pocket within the chest muscle which I had thought was the norm. I'm glad about that. placing the pacemaker on top of the chest muscle results in shorter healing, less post-operative discomfort, and is easier to replace the unit when battery change is needed or lead wires are deteriorated.

Thanks again, you guys are terrific. I'll let you know how progress is going as recovery milestones are reached.

Love you all,
Dave
All good news. Obviously take advice from your consultant, but when I had mine fitted as an emergency procedure, I had a torrid time psychologically not helped by a consultant with no interest in my lifestyle in the outdoors. I found a new consultant who is a climber and fell runner. His policy is they fit these things to let you live the very best life possible, and people with pacemakers are in some ways better off than those without.
An issue I had at first was that when I exerted myself and my heart raced, it terrified me, I thought I was going to damage my heart, but no, the exercise was good for it.
Since placement I have trekked above 4000mtrs in the Himalayas, done some pretty full on Rock Climbing around Europe and Morroco, and TBH I did not even consider it when thinking about the Camino, more interested in which sleeping bag to take. So let the wound heal, giving it whatever your consultant suggests, then crack on an live the best life possible.

Tom, damn you,. . . after the many issues you've had to deal with and recover from, and then carry on with Life, I would've been too embarrassed to just give up and pout about it. :) Thank you my friend. I hope that we can meet in SdC soon.
I just get up each morning, thank God for another day, then put one foot in front of the other - and repeat.

I, and all of your “forum friends” are just thrilled that you are back in the fight. Poco a poco mi amigo!

I had a Medtronic pacemaker fitted in early Feb and will be walking a stage of the Camino in 4 weeks time. We were persuaded to accompany some friends last year on the leg from Hornillos to Leon and fell in love with it, so are returning to start from the beginning and walk to Logrono. We aim to complete it in stages over the next few years.

The advice about placement for rucksacks was excellent and I am so glad you took it! My procedure was 3 months ago and the wound is still slightly tender to the touch. I think I have not helped the recovery by occasionally carrying light rucksacks as the straps go right over where the device is fitted! We have just returned from a month in New Zealand where we did a number of small hikes with my wife sadly carrying the day bag as I found it too uncomfortable. I checked with the cardiac nurse about going away for a month and she was relaxed as she said the device would store all the data until I got back and would then send that across when I was back in range of my monitor which I presume it has been doing since our return!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

UPDATE:

The pacemaker stuff:

Love you all,
Dave
Am just catching up with posts. Very happy to see your post op reply!

My partner has completed 3 caminos post pacemaker without problems

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After walking 5 hard days, slogging through rain and mud my leg was very sore and I took a rest day. Feeling better I left Tui Monday and by the end of the day can hardly walk. I can’t put any...
Day four of my journey and suffering blisters, friction burns and shoe bite on feet. Boots are ankle high hillwalkers. Tended to situation using blister gel plasters and tape then double socks...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I have bad toe and heel blisters and am looking for a Doctor in Fão to treat them or give me advice about how to proceed, if I can. Hoping to find one tonight as it’s Sunday tomorrow.
A few days ago I consulted a sports podiatrist. I knew that I had pronation in my feet, but did not know the potential consequences, probably because I thought pronation meant flat feet. I don't...
Will I be able to find 3% Hydrogen Peroxide contact solution on my Camino (Frances)?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.