• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recognizing Other Forum Members While On Camino

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
A frequent wish expressed by Forum members who are headed out on a camino is that, "I hope to see other members out there". Me too. :)

To make it easier to spot one of 'us', there is a Forum Member badge that can be attached to backpacks, hats, clothing, etc. And it is a two for one benefit because by purchasing a badge, you also help support Ivar in keeping this Forum going strong.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A frequent wish expressed by Forum members who are headed out on a camino is that, "I hope to see other members out there". Me too. :)

To make it easier to spot one of 'us', there is a Forum Member badge that can be attached to backpacks, hats, clothing, etc. And it is a two for one benefit because by purchasing a badge, you also help support Ivar in keeping this Forum going strong.

That’s how my companions and I had the honour of making the acquaintance of dear @Sagalout. He recognized the camino badge on my pack, in the Burgos albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Follow on question: how do you attach badges to your pack? The obvious answer seems to be to sew them on but 1) does poking holes in the back in any way reduce the pack's integrity, and 2) what size needles do you need to poke through a pack?

Can one be mailed, if ordered to the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP? There would not be enough time for me to recieve before I leave.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Follow on question: how do you attach badges to your pack? The obvious answer seems to be to sew them on but 1) does poking holes in the back in any way reduce the pack's integrity, and 2) what size needles do you need to poke through a pack?
I had mine sown on by a monogrammer. No apparent effect on pack integrity.

I haven't used it myself, but @David Tallan mentioned a product called Badge Magic on another thread that sounds perfect.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is a method of attaching patches that Kate Paine (Wanderlusting Lawyer) posted several years ago.

Velcro seems like a great way to attach patches! I have changed packs in my life and being able to move my patches to the new bag (without damaging the other pack) is ideal. You can also get velcro in rolls, and various widths. I use it for other things, so this is a perfect solution for me.

We both have the patches on our backpacks, bought at Ivar’s webshop
However.during our 5 caminhos we only one time saw somebody else with the patch on, coincidentaly arriving at Lisbon airport for our first caminho in 2013.

but we met other forummembers , walking the same time we did .
one lady from Iran we met in the center of Lisbon after we had some mutual conversations with her on this forum in advance to our first caminho
And during the second last caminho we met a lady from Peru who walked with us for some stages along the Portuguese coastal and later we met her at Casa da Fernanda where we stayed some days together. We also met her in advance on this forum.

Attachments

• 68426211-D8C6-4CA3-972A-442ACCD6B263.jpeg
    68426211-D8C6-4CA3-972A-442ACCD6B263.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I've used double stick velcro for one badge, and I have sewn a badge. For a sewn badge you can use seam sealer on the inside of the pack along the path of where the threads entered. Really, though, it is unlikely to be an issue.

I like the velcro dot idea. In the past I had this laborious process where I used a kind of special latex material adhesive and had to cut out a piece of old t-shirt that was shaped like the patch, soak it in the latex product, and then use it between my pack and the patch to get it to stick. Invariably they eventually "peeled" away with time so the velcro dots are a huge improvement and way less mess. I also tried a hot glue gun with little success in the past... o_O
I would love to know this as well - especially since postage cost to the US is several times more than the cost of the badge itself! (Not @ivar's fault, of course :) )
Maybe send to somewhere in Spain instead of SJPDP?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got both Buen Camino and Pilgrim Forum Member patches from Ivar in anticipation of my upcoming CF
The former is a thermoadhesive - already has whatever the stuff is on it and I guess just need to run the iron over it (hmmm... if so - anyone ever done that and was there any damage to the backpack? 🤨)
otherwise, IIRC, @Anniesantiago said in one of previous threads that she uses fabric adhesive.
the use of Velcro also looks appealing.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would love to know this as well - especially since postage cost to the US is several times more than the cost of the badge itself! (Not @ivar's fault, of course :) )
I purchased a Brierly book from Ivar and had it sent to the place I'm staying in Pamplona the night before heading to Roncesvalles. Of course I asked her permission first and she was happy to hold it for me until I arrive. It was another case of the shipping cost being more than the book, but from Santiago to Pamplona was very reasonable.

I use a thin needle and sew them in. Some Sacramento pilgrims glue them in with fabric glue. Some patches can be ironed on but you need to be careful and cover with towel before ironing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe send to somewhere in Spain instead of SJPDP?

I would if I knew where I was staying in Spain after Roncesvalles - I only suggested SJPP since that was mentioned by @Aloha From Kauai in her reply. Plus there would be something nice about having that patch on my pack as I'm first setting out. I wonder if @ivar has considered selling them through the Pilgrim's Office or the Boutique du Pelerin?

I sewed patches on my backpack, hoping to attract the attention of fellow forum members walking the CF. It never worked.
Likewise. I did meet other forum members, but it appears they recognized me from my photo.

I just bought a patch! I will be applying with double sided sticky Velcro. Curious if anyone will notice on my next trip.
I will look out for you. Just don't shave or get a haircut!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't used it myself, but @David Tallan mentioned a product called Badge Magic on another thread that sounds perfect.
I've never used that particular item, but every adhesive I've ever tried (for this purpose or any other) has failed to live up to its advertising.

Shoot! I think it's too late for me to get one of these - can I buy it in st jean? Howong to ship to the US????

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...
Is it possible to private message other members? I have tried clicking on the name of the person I’d like to message (a mod, to ask when the monthly start date threads are posted) but all I see is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.