A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Safe to walk in Ponferrada at night?

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Klara_Camino

Camino(s) past & future
plan to walk the Camino in Sept (2019)
Hello dear Pilgrims,

Would it be safe to walk in Ponferrada from the train station to the hotel alone (and as a woman) for about 20 minutes at around 9:30 PM? And how safe is Ponferrada at night in general?

The trip should take place this week, in case the time of the year is important for such a question.
Thank you!

Juspassinthrough

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, May-June (2017)
Ingles, June (2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Le Puy-Santiago (2023)
I don’t know where you’re walking to but leaving the station there’s one sketchy tunnel to the left as you leave the station, if you go right towards the Hotel Temple Ponferrada you avoid that, if you’re headed towards the Castillo it’s a bit further but on well traveled main streets. If it’s a concern, take a taxi and put your mind at ease.

K Turner

One step at a time
Camino(s) past & future
14 August 2019 (SJPdP 16 August)
I'd probably arrange a taxi. I'm in Ponferrada right now actually. I took a taxi today and the driver, Luis, was really nice and enjoyed pointing out interesting things we went by. If you don't have a taxi contact, his number is 34 671 70 80 70.

Buen Camino!

Klara_Camino

Camino(s) past & future
I'd probably arrange a taxi. I'm in Ponferrada right now actually. I took a taxi today and the driver, Luis, was really nice and enjoyed pointing out interesting things we went by. If you don't have a taxi contact, his number is 34 671 70 80 70.

Buen Camino!
Thanks!
Just to understand, are taxis not easily to be found just outside the station?

Klara_Camino

Camino(s) past & future
I don’t know where you’re walking to but leaving the station there’s one sketchy tunnel to the left as you leave the station, if you go right towards the Hotel Temple Ponferrada you avoid that, if you’re headed towards the Castillo it’s a bit further but on well traveled main streets. If it’s a concern, take a taxi and put your mind at ease.
Thanks!

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I would not be afraid to walk in Ponferrada, and I am 71. I have never heard anything about Ponferrada being dangerous! At 9:30 pm, I would expect to see families still be out and about.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Totally agree with C clearly and nycwalking. 9:30 is still before dinner in Spain, there will be many many people out and about, at least if it isn’t raining or snowing. If you want to take a cab for the ease of it, you will find many parked right outside the station. But if safety is your concern, this is a centrally located place, well connected to the rest of town, so I wouldn’t give it a second thought. Buen camino, Laurie

DebR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances:
2013; 2014; 2015; 2017; 2018; and counting down to Christmas 2019
Hello dear Pilgrims,

Would it be safe to walk in Ponferrada from the train station to the hotel alone (and as a woman) for about 20 minutes at around 9:30 PM? And how safe is Ponferrada at night in general?

The trip should take place this week, in case the time of the year is important for such a question.
Thank you!
I like Ponferrada and have stayed there several times as a single female; never once feeling unsafe. I did have a delicious garlic shrimp dinner on the square once, with muy vino Tinto, and walking back to my bed in the company of several happy peregrinos was perfectly fine...

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I would not be afraid to walk in Ponferrada, and I am 71. I have never heard anything about Ponferrada being dangerous! At 9:30 pm, I would expect to see families still be out and about.
I can't speak to the relative safety and danger in Ponferrada as a solo woman traveler. I can speak to what C clearly is referring to above in terms of families still out and about. It is one of the ways that Spanish culture differs greatly from the culture her in Canada where I am living. Public spaces are family spaces well into the night in Spain. I've seen kids running around and playing in the plazas after 11 pm, long after what would be the bedtime for similarly aged kids here. It might have something to do with the fact that at 9:30 pm (after our kids' bedtime at that age) Spanish families are just starting to think about supper.

How you want to translate that kind of culture of family use of public spaces into your own personal safety assessments I leave to you and your lived experience as a solo woman traveller, experience I don't share.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
I have no idea where the train station is located or where you will be sleeping. I would say take a cab. It is night time and it can be easy getting lost. Use that time walking from the train to walking around and finding a nice place to sit outside and eat or have a glass of wine near your hotel after you check in.

K Turner

One step at a time
Camino(s) past & future
14 August 2019 (SJPdP 16 August)
Honestly I have no idea about taxi availability at that time of night. I just left Ponferrada yesterday via train. Honestly I may err on the side of caution simply because of the career fields of my household, which leave us skeptical. All I can say is to trust your judgment. If you opt to walk alone, be aware of your surroundings, as always, regardless of where you are. If there's a taxi waiting, that's great (side note that at 1600 there were no taxis waiting at this small station). If not, you have the number of a taxi company, should you feel more comfortable.

I wish you safe travels and a buen camino!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%