• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals vs flip flops

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Good day to all. Three days to go before I leave and my pack has suddenly become pregnant with an extra 3kg/7lbs. I am now forced to make drastic choices. Gone is my diary, replaced by a tiny agenda. Gone is my liquid detergent, replaced by one-use Tide gels. Gone is my camera, replaced??? by my phone. Lastly, I am thinking of replacing my Teva sandals with flip flops. Should I do it?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took Keen sandals with me last year at this time, and I wore them a lot on the trail. Most days I switched to sandals after lunch as the day heated up. I just stood on my clothing in the shower so I didn't carry flip flops. I guess you have to decide if you want to be walking around all evening in flip flops. The first time I did the camino I got nasty blisters from the flip flops and threw them away. I washed my clothes with shampoo and didn't take any laundry detergent. I would cut out Tide rather than sandals.

I'd keep the Tevas. One hears about boots/shoes being taken - whether by accident or deliberately - from albergues. Should that happen to you at least you could carry on - as far as the next large town at least - with the sandals. You wouldn't get far with flip-flops.

You were going to bring liquid detergent?!?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gone is my liquid detergent, replaced by one-use Tide gels.
Bring one kind of soap, whether bar or concentrated liquid to wash body, hair and clothing. How many Tide pods have you packed?

The best might be to post your whole packing list here, this way we can help you to get rid of those pesky extra kilos ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lastly, I am thinking of replacing my Teva sandals with flip flops. Should I do it?
How comfortable are you wearing flip flops? They're absolutely fine for some people. Some pilgrims I know only wear that in the evenings.
I bring sandals - in spite of the additional weight - because I have several times slipped wearing flip flops and twisted my ankle, in my own garden :rolleyes:
So it is really up to you....
Is there anything else you could give up instead?

Last edited:
Actually if you think you really need Tide, you can buy some tiny little Tide camping Packettes. They meet airline guidelines.We used use these for regular camping. I would think you can also buy a bar of soap in Spain or France that will wash both Pilgrim and clothes. I know SYates has mentioned it before, but I cannot remember the brand. Her advice I believe was buy one bar and cut in two pieces and give one piece to another pilgrim I believe. Perhaps she will comment on it again here?

I'd keep the Tevas. One hears about boots/shoes being taken - whether by accident or deliberately - from albergues. Should that happen to you at least you could carry on - as far as the next large town at least - with the sandals. You wouldn't get far with flip-flops.

You were going to bring liquid detergent?!?
It was a 125ml bottle of camp suds - supposed to be concentrated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't walk any distance in Tevas, so I'd leave those behind in favor of the flip flops because I really like changing into flip flops after a day of walking.

For soap, I have a bar of Dr. Bonners Almond Castile soap that's great for the body and clothing. Very light and does double duty, so it is a space and weight saver. I can't quite manage 1 soap for body, clothes and hair though. I haven't found a soap that can clean clothes and won't turn my hair to straw.

The best might be to post your whole packing list here, this way we can help you to get rid of those pesky extra kilos ;-)
Buen Camino, SY
I do not know the weights but here is a list:

1 65lt knapsack (I know too big)
1 guidebook
1 light sleeping bag - about 1kg
1 pair of Teva sandals
1 microfiber towel
1 bag of toiletries (soap bar, toothpaste/brush, deodorant,
1 first-aid pack (Compeed, Aleve, bandages, wipes, small scissors
3 compact rolls of toilet paper
1 magazine
3 short-sleeve wool shirts
1 long sleeve wool base layer
1 fleece
1 pair dry pants
1 pair wet pants
1 rain jacket
1 long-sleeve zip shirt
2 pairs of gloves (1 light)
1 hat
1 touque
1 pair of boots
3 pairs of wool socks
1 pair of sunglasses
1 tube sunscreen
1 cell phone
1 ipod watch
chargers for above
adapter
2 water bottles (1 empty for backup)
1 small agenda - 10 grams
10 one-use packs of Tide
1 inflatable pillow
1 pillow cover
1 pair of shorts
1 pair of long johns (to be used as pajamas as well)
1 hope and a prayer of making it

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Love the hope and prayer :)
All I can say is nooooo to 3 packs of loo paper! Just take a little bit! You can buy some small packs of paper tissues to replenish once there...
I've only walked the Camino in the Summer so I'll leave the others to comment on the clothes (but I think you're taking too much :confused:)
Just noticed: why 2 pairs of gloves? Don't know exactly what a touque is but...you've already got one hat?

I can't walk any distance in Tevas, so I'd leave those behind in favor of the flip flops because I really like changing into flip flops after a day of walking.

For soap, I have a bar of Dr. Bonners Almond Castile soap that's great for the body and clothing. Very light and does double duty, so it is a space and weight saver. I can't quite manage 1 soap for body, clothes and hair though. I haven't found a soap that can clean clothes and won't turn my hair to straw.

Try Lush shampoo soapbars. It's great for body and hair. The marseille soapbar is great for body and clothes.

Try Lush shampoo soapbars. It's great for body and hair. The marseille soapbar is great for body and clothes.
I love the Lush shampoo bar but the OP is leaving in 3 days... They're not easily available everywhere and - I think, or I was told - are very expensive on the other end of the pond....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My remarks in italics:

1 65lt knapsack (I know too big) - far too big and the term knapsack makes me think of an older, most likely heavier model
1 light sleeping bag - about 1kg - a bit on the heavy side, but so be it
3 compact rolls of toilet paper - 1/2 a roll with the inner cardboard roll removed is plenty, there are shops in Spain ...
1 magazine - for what?
3 short-sleeve wool shirts - 2 are enough, and I assume you mean thin Merino wool ones, correct? Also see below.
1 long sleeve wool base layer - Leave it at home or take one short and one one long sleeve one. May on the Camino tends to be warm/hottish and only coolish in the mountains during evening/nights
1 pair dry pants/1 pair wet pants - not sure what those are? Do you mean hiking trousers/pants and rain trousers/pants?
1 long-sleeve zip shirt - take an additional short sleeve one also
2 pairs of gloves (1 light) - ONE!
1 touque - decide between this and the hat and take only one
3 pairs of wool socks - 2 pairs, but also take 2 pairs of thin socks to reduce friction and prevent blisters
1 ipod watch - What for?
2 water bottles (1 empty for backup) - How many liters do they have?
10 one-use packs of Tide - What is that?
1 inflatable pillow - Leave at home, instead put clothes in the stuff sack of your sleeping bag to create a pillow
1 pillow cover - Leave at home
1 pair of shorts - Perhaps ...
1 pair of long johns (to be used as pajamas as well) - Perhaps
1 hope and a prayer of making it - Absolutely take those!

Buen Camino, SY

I love the Lush shampoo bar but the OP is leaving in 3 days... They're not easily available everywhere and - I think, or I was told - are very expensive on the other end of the pond....

€8,95 /55 grams! 1 bar = 3 bottles 250ml

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€8,95 /55 grams! 1 bar = 3 bottles 250ml
I agree with you (Lush is what I take on the Camino), it is just that I was told it was very expensive in North America .... Maybe I was misinformed....(I don't know where the OP is from.)

What is the total weight? It doesn't look like too much, considering that it must include what you are wearing. Either your backpack or clothes are very heavy items, or you have snuck things in there ;). See my comments below.

1 guidebook
1 pair of Teva sandals
1 microfiber towel
3 compact rolls of toilet paper. ONLY ONE.
1 magazine OK BUT IT CAN BE DISCARDED ANYTIME
3 short-sleeve wool shirts YOU ONLY NEED A SECOND TO WEAR WHEN THE OTHER IS WET; WHY BRING 3?
1 fleece
1 pair dry pants
1 pair wet pants
1 rain jacket
1 long-sleeve zip shirt NOT NEEDED SINCE YOU HAVE SHORT SLEEVE SHIRTS, LONG BASE LAYER, RAIN JACKET AND FLEECE!
2 pairs of gloves (1 light) AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, ONE LIGHT PAIR IS PLENTY
1 hat
1 touque PROBABLY NOT NEEDED AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, BUT DEPENDS ON YOU
1 pair of boots
3 pairs of wool socks TAKE THESE, IF THAT IS THE SOCK SYSTEM THAT YOU HAVE TESTED OUT SUCCESSFULLY
1 pair of sunglasses
1 tube sunscreen
1 cell phone
1 ipod watch WHY? ESPECIALLY IF IT NEEDS ANOTHER CHARGER!
chargers for above
adapter
2 water bottles (1 empty for backup) SIZE? BOTH WILL EMPTY WHEN TRAVELLING, BOTH WILL BE FILLED WHEN WALKING.
10 one-use packs of Tide NOT NEEDED. WHEREVER THERE IS A WASHER, THERE WILL BE SOAP. OTHERWISE USE YOUR SOAP BAR.
1 inflatable pillow I WOULD USE A STUFF BAG OF CLOTHES IF NEEDED. USUALLY PILLOWS ARE PROVIDED.
1 pillow cover
1 pair of shorts
1 hope and a prayer of making it GOOD TO TAKE!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do not know the weights but here is a list:

1 guidebook
1 pair of Teva sandals
1 microfiber towel
3 compact rolls of toilet paper
1 magazine
3 short-sleeve wool shirts
1 fleece
1 pair dry pants
1 pair wet pants
1 rain jacket
1 long-sleeve zip shirt
2 pairs of gloves (1 light)
1 hat
1 touque
1 pair of boots
3 pairs of wool socks
1 pair of sunglasses
1 tube sunscreen
1 cell phone
1 ipod watch
chargers for above
adapter
2 water bottles (1 empty for backup)
10 one-use packs of Tide
1 inflatable pillow
1 pillow cover
1 pair of shorts
1 hope and a prayer of making it

Don't forget underpants, after walking for hours may be delightful going commando, but on the path it could hurt as hell. :p

Don't you know which is the total weight? It's recommended no more than the 10% of body weight. I started my camino in 95 kgs and carried 8 kgs on my shoulders (up to 10 with the bladder full of water in the morning).

I think your backpack is too big and it may leads you to fill it up with unnecessary items. I have used a 50L one and had room enough for a tent (for instance).

As some said, leave 2 toilet paper rolls, some of the shirts, the detergent and, in my opinion, the waterproof trousers.

Sandals or flip-flops depends on which you feel fine with. I use the flip-flops since i arrive in the albergue untill i leave the next morning. Even if it's raining (ah, cold water on my feet, one of those little pleasures)

10 one-use packs of Tide NOT NEEDED. WHEREVER THERE IS A WASHER, THERE WILL BE SOAP. OTHERWISE USE YOUR SOAP BAR.
Can you use the laundry soap at the albergues you stay at/(buy it from them) for a single washing by hand or you would also have to use the washing machine if you want to use their soap?

Love the hope and prayer :)
All I can say is nooooo to 3 packs of loo paper! Just take a little bit! You can buy some small packs of paper tissues to replenish once there...
I've only walked the Camino in the Summer so I'll leave the others to comment on the clothes (but I think you're taking too much :confused:)
Just noticed: why 2 pairs of gloves? Don't know exactly what a touque is but...you've already got one hat?
A touque is a Canadian hat that covers your ears. Basically a light cap.

€83,-
You will either be wearing your boots or sandals so not carrying both; your watch will be on your wrist, sunglasses on your face, cell phone in your pocket, 1 set of the clothes on etc; all of this would certainly add up.

Thanks for all your informative and funny comments. I did forget to include 3 pairs of underwear. I was not planning to go commando. I am considering leaving a few clothing items at home.
However, I have been checking the weather and it seems to be cool and rainy at least for the start in StJPdP. I may also leave the Tide packets at home and just use the soap to wash clothes.
I think I will bring my sandals after all. Gracias everyone!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have the Lush shampoo bar - its the pink one - I think maybe jojoba? Anyway, it does great, definitely. I just haven't found the holy trinity 3-in-1 combo shampoo, body, and laundry in one bar :)

I have the Lush shampoo bar - its the pink one - I think maybe jojoba? Anyway, it does great, definitely. I just haven't found the holy trinity 3-in-1 combo shampoo, body, and laundry in one bar :)
Have you tried the shampoo bar for your body and clothes?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Actually if you think you really need Tide, you can buy some tiny little Tide camping Packettes. They meet airline guidelines.We used use these for regular camping. I would think you can also buy a bar of soap in Spain or France that will wash both Pilgrim and clothes. I know SYates has mentioned it before, but I cannot remember the brand. Her advice I believe was buy one bar and cut in two pieces and give one piece to another pilgrim I believe. Perhaps she will comment on it again here?
These are what I use and think the OP is talking about. They work great. I used to also bring 3-4 pods for machine washing but these days so many machines now dispense their own soap so they are staying home. I am trying something new: a Sunlight bar that has been sitting in the open air for months dehydrating to weigh less. Fingers crossed. Another soap in a bar is Savon de Marseille, tradionally made soap but it didn't rince well 2 or 3 Caminos ago so it's not comming again bit some people love it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Regarding foot wear, EVA Birkies might combine all the qualities of a second pair of shoes for the Camino.

Good day to all. Three days to go before I leave and my pack has suddenly become pregnant with an extra 3kg/7lbs. I am now forced to make drastic choices. Gone is my diary, replaced by a tiny agenda. Gone is my liquid detergent, replaced by one-use Tide gels. Gone is my camera, replaced??? by my phone. Lastly, I am thinking of replacing my Teva sandals with flip flops. Should I do it?
Keep the sandals. A friend of my brothers walked last year and slipped wearing thongs (flip flops) in the shower and cracked his head open. No grip on slippery floors.

My advice is not to worry about the size of your backpack but rather what you put in it. As long as it’s comfy for you . .

As a long-distance traveller (other side of world) I tend to travel with a bigger pack than those who live closer to Spain. It means I have extra space for travelling/shopping after I’ve completed the camino. It’s never been a bother to carry a bigger pack half empty. Easy to load/unload too. ;)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
@november_moon I have a shampoo bar to recommend to you: I use it for hair, body and clothes alike (can sting eyes a bit but otherwise awesome) : J.R. Liggett, any of the formulas, found on Amazon.

Can you use the laundry soap at the albergues you stay at/(buy it from them) for a single washing by hand or you would also have to use the washing machine if you want to use their soap?

Possibly, but I simply use shampoo for everything:hair, body and clothes washing.
Buen Camino, SY

Are you planning to walk in flip flops? I walked less than three hours in my keens and it is just not something that was able to be done. The terrain is rocky in places, slippery and uneven. The pebbles in the sandals were a complete pain. I gave them away and never looked back . I did end up with major blisters last year but it was a heat wave and 43 degrees; no way around the hot feet. For safety and for comfort stick to good shoes. Less weight is your saving grace. You can get everything you need on the camino. First aid supplies are plentiful, food, everything. The washing situation is that you will be hand washing your clothes. I used a bar of soap. I used the dryer twice and on those day and my clothes were damp and did not ever dry..... clothes lines are everywhere

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good news. Last night, I was able to reduce my pack weight by 3 lbs to 20lbs/9kg by eliminating some clothes and my detergent. I can live with that weight.
Thanks everybody for your comments.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good news. Last night, I was able to reduce my pack weight by 3 lbs to 20lbs/9kg by eliminating some clothes and my detergent. I can live with that weight.
Thanks everybody for your comments.

That's great. Your back and legs will thank you for that.

In regard to wash your clothes, remember that you'll find a washing machine at almost every albergue. The average price is 3€. As you are carrying clothes enough, you can wash it every 2/3 days or even talk with other pilgrims to share the washer and dryer in order to save money.

Either way, enjoy your camino.

Live from the Camino - my Tevas have saved my Camino. After training for months with no blisters (and changing my socks and liners in the middle of the day) I developed blisters yesterday walking towards Estella. Yes, I know blisters aren't the end of the world, but they were on the ends of both little toes and every step in my Keens was agony. I switched to my Tevas until I could get to the albergue (had to stop early in Lorca). I wore them all day today. Aahh relief.

My advice is not to worry about the size of your backpack but rather what you put in it. As long as it’s comfy for you . .

As a long-distance traveller (other side of world) I tend to travel with a bigger pack than those who live closer to Spain. It means I have extra space for travelling/shopping after I’ve completed the camino. It’s never been a bother to carry a bigger pack half empty. Easy to load/unload too. ;)
Assuming one exercises discipline in packing only what they need rather than filling the larger pack, then a larger pack actually can be advantageous because you can pack it in such a way that you have the same gear spread out over a larger surface area (the back of the pack) and is therefore thinner. Once the pack is cinched up tight, the center of gravity will be very close to the body, which means less compensation is required in walking, and a more upright gait is possible.

Granted, when talking only 20 lbs or less total pack weight, shifting the center of gravity closer to the body may not make a major difference that one feels by way of comfort when testing it out, but over 500 miles it almost certainly makes a difference.

And, it really is nice to have the extra space when shopping afterwards.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Assuming one exercises discipline in packing only what they need rather than filling the larger pack, then a larger pack actually can be advantageous because you can pack it in such a way that you have the same gear spread out over a larger surface area (the back of the pack) and is therefore thinner. Once the pack is cinched up tight, the center of gravity will be very close to the body, which means less compensation is required in walking, and a more upright gait is possible.

Granted, when talking only 20 lbs or less total pack weight, shifting the center of gravity closer to the body may not make a major difference that one feels by way of comfort when testing it out, but over 500 miles it almost certainly makes a difference.

And, it really is nice to have the extra space when shopping afterwards.
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you know about packing techniques. I was wondering how I should pack my items in terms of placement within the pack itself. Should heavier items be at the bottom or spaced out evenly?

Live from the Camino - my Tevas have saved my Camino. After training for months with no blisters (and changing my socks and liners in the middle of the day) I developed blisters yesterday walking towards Estella. Yes, I know blisters aren't the end of the world, but they were on the ends of both little toes and every step in my Keens was agony. I switched to my Tevas until I could get to the albergue (had to stop early in Lorca). I wore them all day today. Aahh relief.
Good to hear. That's why I'm bringing sandals that are suitable for walking in, so that I can switch off my shoes.

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you know about packing techniques. I was wondering how I should pack my items in terms of placement within the pack itself. Should heavier items be at the bottom or spaced out evenly?
Given that we're not talking major weight, I don't worry about that. With a 30+ lb pack, I would.

I pack based on order of need/ frequency of use.

Lid (and pockets) -- Water bottles, lunch/snacks, poncho/rain cover, first aid/emergency kit, camera, smartphone, breviary

Main body (from top to bottom)
Dry bag with electronics
Stuff sack w/ personal hygiene
Dry bag with sleeping system
Stuff sack w/ kitchen kit (one of my luxuries is a 14 oz collection of things I never seem to find in albergue kitchens, e.g. a sharp chef's knife)
Dry bag with one day's clothing set
Dry bag with second day's clothing set (I pack two and wear one to cut down on laundry and maximize free time)

All of these are layered vertically up the back of my pack and are only about 4-5" deep.

I'm showered and everything is packed the night before, and I sleep in the next day's clothes. Thus, in the morning, all I have to do is stash my sleeping kit, hygiene, and electronics, and I'm on the road. Total time from waking to walking can be 10 minutes if I'm motivated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Holy qucomole, that's a lot of stuf. I carried a rucksack weighing at 9.5lbs. Next year I will switch to a 3 or 4lbs. Sling bag. But , hey, I'm a guy. My two cents is try living out of your pack for one week at home and do all of the washing etc out of a baño sink and hang your stuff over a chair or whatever convenient place you can find. Even better if there is no heat available. This will give you an idea of if you really need all of the extra wardrobe. Also practice putting all of your gear in your pack in the dark with the lights off, without waking the household or the neighbors dog, ha ha! You may find there's a lot of stuff you really can live without. The Camino has many,many, places to get whatever you may need or want. I saw running shoes just about everywhere for 15 to 25 bucks. And all types of sandals etc. a good small point and shoot camera is a must for me. I shot over 2000 pics this year. Duh! I haven't even edited last years photos yet. Less is best, and keep walking with a grin.

That is what I concluded last night. I will only bring my soap bar and use it for everything. Weight is now "bearable" at 20lbs/9kg.
Thanks for your reply.
Twenty pounds is bearable but for thirty some days??? Have you hiked long like this before? As in continuous for many days? I found many things I never used and had to just give away within first week. Are you travelling in summer months with heat?

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.